Speaker 1: Welcome to the Kick Your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about getting pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to be.
Speaker 1: Born and our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 2: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome everyone. I'm Bridgid Millenni.
Speaker 2: And I'm obstatrician doctor Patrick.
Speaker 1: Maloney, and we've just come fresh off a very exciting night where we did a big presentation to a group of GPS.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was about our new collaboration with Monash IVF, Yeah, to bring IVF services to our clinic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was very very interesting and actually we covered things like PMOS, We cover fertility work up, what a fertility consult looks like, the role of endometeorosis infertility, and Pat introduced the concept of endometriosis surgery with a robot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I couldn't help you love it because I'm that's my major professional interest at the moment, and I just thought i'd throw that in there even though it was mon Ash's night.
Speaker 1: No, I know.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing that you said that night was that when you're doing surgery on a using a robot, it feels like you're a little con gynecologist inside.
Speaker 2: Just you've been shrunk down and you're inside the inside the pagient operating with your real hands. That's kind of what it feels like. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I also got a good laugh about my nun joke.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right. Tell our audience about why.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you quickly. So, our main private hospital here Invalerate is called Saint John of God. It's a church run a church run hospital, which is for our international listeners, is common in Australia that a lot of the early private hospitals in Australia were run by the Catholic Church and still are in some way. And our robot is called Sister Joan, and Sister Joan was the last of the Saint John of God nuns to actually work in the hospital. And there are there aren't any nuns in the hospital these days. And I just told a gag that when I was in primary school, I wasn't a massive fan of nuns that ran that ran the school, and I just said, I would have liked it if someone had told me back then that nuns would eventually be replaced by robots. Had got a good laugh.
Speaker 1: I'm laughing now and I've heard it about three times.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was a really good night, really really interesting, and a pleasure to bring people up to date on what we're up to.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, no, it was just exciting. So you know, we've got a buzz, We've got a buzz about us, and we're going to do a podcast. You know, it's a little bit different from the information laden podcast that we do, but we see it as a big problem, and that is people being able to discern whether the advice they're seeing on their social media is evidence based or it's just simply loud. So, you know, I don't know, I thought it was. There's so many examples that we can bring up, but the first one that sprung to mine was remember the United States Health Secretary Jay Kennedy, I think, said that panadol, taking penadol in pregnancy causes autism. And I think that just shocked every person that had been pregnant or was currently pregnant, because I don't know what the stats would be but I reckon nearly everybody would have taken padal.
Speaker 2: And so that wasn't actually a question up for broad clinical debate. That the fact that that panetole does not cause autism is is abundantly clear. It's been proven time and time again, and there is no data suggesting a link there other than the tired old problem which we know leads to wrong conclusions, which is that association and causation aren't the same thing. So panidole doesn't cause autism any more than wearing pants causes autism.
Speaker 1: And I'm pretty sure most people have got pants on. So yeah, Yeah, it's a bit that is complex, and we're going to get into, you know, the simplicity that comes across in social media and why that's so easy for people to absorb. You know, it's a very simple message. You can't do a complex message well on social media. You just can't keep people's attention for that long. Yep.
Speaker 2: It doesn't help when the advice leaps over the barrier from social media into the real world and senior people who should know better start saying things that are patently untrue.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the other one, I just was shocked to my core with was there was a very big influencer, a woman in her early or late twenties who was pregnant, and she was taking a supplement and she said, so, you know, I really wanted to find out whether I should be taking this supplement or not. So I went to my ob was an American. I went to an ib and she said that, you know, I didn't need to take this supplement. But then, you know, my Instagram feed is full of people saying I should take this supplement because otherwise I'm going to cause like horrible consequences to my child. And then she finished the real with so who am I to believe?
Speaker 2: It's posed to flip? Yeah, yeah, that I remember that looking at that and thinking this is really the problem, or for that person at least, is really a big one, because if they think that those are too equally valid and equally equally accurate sources of information, then who is she supposed to believe? I guess the doctor in me has always thought that the advice that we give to the best of our ability is not just something we made up. It's something based on years of cumulative research and knowledge and the so we do we have been perhaps coasting along, thinking that the advice that we have been given would outweigh the advice that somebody got off some randos on the socials. But maybe for some people that's not true.
Speaker 1: No, this woman was genuinely anxious about it, Like you know, it wasn't It wasn't tongue in cheek or satire or anything like that. She was. She was genuinely confused who she should believe, So, you know, and I get it in certain generations as well. It's gone really from my doctor said, so therefore it's true too. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: They might.
Speaker 2: There might have once upon a time been too much. As the doctor told me to do this stuffing, and I didn't even stop to think why, Which is you know that that can't be a good thing. If we're asking people to put something in their bodies or do something with their bodies or whatever, that that should should have an evidence base that's beyond they're there. I told you to do it, and just do it.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine actually having that flight in your consultations?
Speaker 2: Not anymore? Doctor knows best. I don't think you wouldn't get away with it for long?
Speaker 1: No, No, and not no, you should so you know. That's what our pregnancy podcast is about, So informing you with the information that's you have a conversation with your doctor about, you know, different methods of treatment and plans at the risk of.
Speaker 2: Being overwhelmed by emails. If you think I have said something in the podcast that is inadequately explained, then I think you feel free to get in touch and say what's your data?
Speaker 1: Yeah, need something more there. But the things on Instagram that I really wanted to point out are the things that say you know and you see it. They scream at you never do this in pregnancy, or always do this, or you know. One of our favorite things is these are things your doctor never wants you to know.
Speaker 2: That's my personal favorite. Let's deal with that one up front. There is nothing that your doctor doesn't want you to know. Nothing that's true. Yes, of all the true things in the universe, there isn't one of those that your doctor does not wish you to know. So anything on the socials that mentions that you can safely ignore upfront, yep, that is based one hundred percent in an effort to drive a wedge between you and good advice, and that can't be a great place to start.
Speaker 1: The other thing is the doctors don't want you to know, or the big farmer doesn't want you to know, implying that there's kickbacks, and apart from a pen that I have on my desk, yeah, we have never received a kickback.
Speaker 2: Don't even anything. Don't even really get pens anymore. No, so the kickbacks, like the social sometimes will tell you that they're literally cash cash, money changes hands, and that has never been part of our medical culture in Australia and is specifically illegal. Even things which was sort of a version of money changing hands, like a company paying for you to go on a holiday or for you to have to go somewhere nice in the sun and you just had to go to ten minutes of their conference in the morning and then you could go to the beach for the rest of the day. That's all gone as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're only speaking from an Australian perspective. You know, there might be other countries where that isn't the case, but that is for us. And it is also for doctors selling things such as supplements or whatever like in Australia you can't do that either.
Speaker 2: Very tightly controlled. Yeah, very very tightly controlled.
Speaker 1: If you're are pro registered, you just can't do it. So you know, I know have quite a few very very famous instagrammers for menopause who are doctors in other parts of the world and they can sell whatever they like. So you know, that is also a bit of a red flag for.
Speaker 2: Me in Australia. It is by as far as we can tell, when we look at what goes on other countries, we're extremely tightly control. And that's not just with you know, the the selling of things, but even advertising. Yeah, yeah, we can't really advertise.
Speaker 1: We can't say that you know, we're the best, or.
Speaker 2: Certainly can't say that you're better than anybody.
Speaker 1: Else, or you could expect better our outcomes by coming to see us, or you know, we no doctor can actually say that.
Speaker 2: It's I remember visiting the US years ago and just seeing seeing a post I was on the ferry to go out and look at the statute of limiting. This a poster on the ferry that says I am the best cardiac surgent.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just thought, wow, I've never seen anything like that. Yeah, so yeah, beware, beware things. Let's say that that that this is a secret that the system doesn't want you to know.
Speaker 1: So I want to delve into why pregnancy, Why does it attract so much conflicting advice.
Speaker 2: I think that it it's very pregnancy is a time when people can be very easily influenced out of fear. So that for the first pregnancy in particular, is a scary time for people, and they are often overwhelmed with a sense of responsibility to do the best they possibly can for the outcome of the pregnancy and the safety of themselves, but more in their mind is the safety of the baby. And so that's a population that is relatively easy to exploit with fear based arguments.
Speaker 1: I think also that it's you know, yeah, you're right, it's absolutely high stakes, but it's also the time in a woman's life that she is she doesn't have tons of control, you know. So it's this juxtaposition where you you it's high stakes, but you know, you can control what you eat and you control the exercise that you can do, but you know, there's lots that you can't control. It's baby behavior, or it's your genes, or you know, it's just something that you've got to accept and roll with the punches a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if we look at the advice that's given, you know, accurate advice might say care subtle, fairly nuanced things that might be different for you as an individual compared to another person as an individual. Whereas if we're going to really try and influence the behavior of someone by exploiting her lack of control and exploiting her vulnerability to fear based arguments, then then we make broad statements that are inaccurate but go right to the heart of that fear. And that's that's a lot of what we see on the socials.
Speaker 1: The other thing that is common is, you know, there's so many people that have had a baby, you know, so then they have their own experience, in their own personal sort of take on things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so that is that is really interesting because the medical world looks at something like risk from a community level. You got to you've got to zoom out and say such and such an intervention, if it's done, will will will result in better outcomes. Per one hundred thousand women, one extra baby will survive, one extra woman won't get hypertension. But people who've been through a pregnancy before and having another one that they are mostly focusing on themselves and their own personal risk, and therefore it's easy to say, well, I did this last time at worked fine, so that'll work fine again. Now that the person who's thinking that way, that are wrong. But they're just not answering the same question as the medical world is answering when they when we talk about safety.
Speaker 1: And that is hard because you know, especially say in a family or whatever, and your sister might have had one experience and you want that same experience, but your experience ends up being different. Like, you know, you sort of that's that's your frame of reference. You're you're sort of looking within a very small sample size.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then nuance is hard to get across, Like your sister might have done very well with treatment xyz, but she may be an entirely different which category to yourself.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about a little bit about how sometimes really confident posts like seven seven things you must do to ensure you get a vaginal birth, or you know, really confident posts sounds sometimes a bit more convincing than evidence.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So the first thing I think of when I see those is, if it was that easy, why wouldn't we have.
Speaker 1: Done it like a practitioner.
Speaker 2: Wh yeah, so that's my practice with my practitioner's hat on thought, Oh my god, there's only seven things, fantastic, I've better read this because here am I thinking there's hundreds of factors. But if there's only seven, sit down, get a coffee, I'm going to read it. So maybe it comes down to this idea that humans are wired to trust. You know, if we if somewhere in our prehistoric selves, if someone if the if the chief of our clan said we're going to go and we're going to up and move to the other side of the of the plane where there's more food. All right, great, let's do it. So I think we are wired to take on advice and not necessarily think stuff through for ourselves every single time. Our brains are also wide for shortcuts, and so we love a confident We love confident.
Speaker 1: And we like personal stories like who doesn't love a personal story? Like it's something that you know, I mean, I don't love listening to birth stories, but it is one of the most popular podcasts. People love listening to personal stories. But every single personal story is a sample of one. And you know, going back to your taking a bird's eye view and looking at it from a statistical point of view. Like I've read some of those reports. I've read lots of those sort of research papers, and it's very hard. It's very dense reading. It's very hard to understand the statistics. Yes, And you know, even though I've read lots and I've actually done REDS search as a university subject. But I come back and I say, oh, Pat, did you know that blah blah blah and this amount? And you and then you you help me. We know that sounds funny, but you know, you help me understand that statistic more meaningfully. It's really hard to interpret them.
Speaker 2: It is, and it's hard. It is hard to especially for non medically trained people, to understand what the hell we're talking about. Some of the time. I think that another problem that's going on in the background is that as human beings, we hate to feel anxious. We hate to feel that that that we need to make a decision between two big options, and it's we can't think of anything else, and it's really really upsetting us. So sometimes we'll choose the comfort of a decision having been made over it necessarily being the right.
Speaker 1: Decision, and that's why you know we talk about a birth plan or a birth map. You know it's not step one, step two, step three. Yeah, it's about sitting with the anxiety around that it's unpredictable and like you've got to be You've got to have the knowledge to know if it goes down one particular path, you've got to make decisions yes, or if it goes down another particular path, that's another set of decisions. And so you know that is so nuanced and complex that you cannot get that small little SoundBite on social media.
Speaker 2: Know that the whole problem with social media is that the message needs to be very brief.
Speaker 1: And when I listened to you and actually from the Monash talk that we just did, and you were saying that you were all excited when the new endometriosis guidelines came out and then you said, you know, finally I've got something I can go Okay, I can hang my hat on this is how we're going to do endometriosis. And yet the guidelines are still like.
Speaker 2: Oh they're disappointing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been disappointing. They're about like, while it's pens, there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of it depends. Yeah, and there's a lot of we think it's probably the best thing to do this, yes, and then and then reference down the bottom level of evidence low. Yeah, So that is that certainly is a problem.
Speaker 1: And often that's what good medicine looks like, doesn't it. You know, it's sort of like if you're if you're hoping for a very very strong, definitive this is the answer. Lots of medicine can't put its whole claim on that because there hasn't been an RCT, you know, there hasn't got the level of evidence. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so as you as you said accurate, accurately, just now, good medicine is new once.
Speaker 1: Which you know is the opposite of a very confident these are seven mistakes you should never make in your pregnancy. You know, like it's very very different. Now it's hard hard to get that message across. All right, Well, what about those postpat that look like their research driven? They say, the people say, oh, research says, how can a participator in social media actually work out whether the research that they say that they're referencing is any good? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Great questions. So you can call anything research.
Speaker 1: My Google, I call that research.
Speaker 2: Yes, A distressing number of people call the call their looking at social media research. Yeah, where it's not what I mean by research. But that's that's all right. We can both use the term but the but but I think people should be roughly aware of what your doctor means by research and what and what he or she might be has he or she might prioritize the confidence that we can have in the conclusion because of the study that's been done. And so, you know, put briefly, be systematic. What are called systematic reviews are published from time to time by collectives like the Cochrane Database, and the point of those is to take a bunch of reliable studies, combine them in a way that is legitimate for research purposes, and add them together to increase the confidence that we can have in their conclusions. So you might put together a series of studies that were done in various countries that were all quite similar, and they issue statements which are among the very best evidence that such and such is true. And there are you know, the Cochran it's not for everybody, but the Cochran database is free. You get on an avelock and it's amazing some of the things that they've looked at, and sometimes it's they are health issues that you might have thought were relatively trivial actually have a clear internationally respected cockin review on whether or not bananas help with night cramps in pregnant women.
Speaker 1: Wow, did they know?
Speaker 2: Then there's and then there's individual randomized control studies, which are thought to be the best trial design, so that if we take a hundred thousand people and give them one treatment, and one hundred thousand people and give them the other treatment, ideally with none of those people knowing which treatment they've got, and none of the people running the study knowing at the time which which treatment they've got, observe who does the best, and then and then de blind the study and have a look and see and see of the people who did the best, which which treatment they have. Those are the ones that we find the most persuasive.
Speaker 1: They're very few and far between in the pregnancy will though, aren't they It's hard. It's hard, like could you imagine saying yes when you're pregnant to a trial. You don't know what it is, you don't know what it's going to affect you, don't you know, I just don't know how they get any of those up.
Speaker 2: There are serious ethical problems with doing RCT's randomized control trials when you are next to certain of the answer already, and so what you're theoretically doing is exposing half the half the group in your trial to to a treatment that you honestly already believe is inferior. And it's another reason why not necessarily open the vaccine discussion. But it's a problem with RCTs being done now for various vaccines that have been ought to be extremely safe and effective for many years, because how would it be ethical to deny that vaccine to half the group. And so there are similar problems in pregnancy when we're next to certain that something is already the right way.
Speaker 1: To go, and the.
Speaker 2: Hierarchy of studies just goes rapidly down from there. Okay, there are sort of observational studies where you just you know, you have someone with an own problem, you give them a known treatment and just watch them and see how it goes. That's not as good as a blinded study. And then right down the bottom is port expert opinion, which is just what someone says because they've got a gut feeling.
Speaker 1: Oh, I reckon, there's another one, and that's the influencer anecdote. Anecdote, Yeah, yeah, you know, they pin themselves next to the expert opinion.
Speaker 2: Occasionally, when we look at well constructed public health messages, often I don't know if people have seen this, but for example, if they say if they talk about a disease affecting one percent of people, a well constructed public health message will often have a poster with a one hundred people on it, and one of the one hundred little people all the rest of read and the other one's green. And it's just these are ways of trying to help educate people, not what one percent means. People understand that that's one in a hundred, but give a visual message to say that that's rare ish but by no means rare, rare, rare. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it was one in one hundred that your chance of winning tats looto, you would buy a ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. So there are a number of known ways to try and help take some of the emotion out of it. And one of the problems with anecdotal evidence from the Internet. I did this, and I did well. By far the most common that we've seen, I guess is, here's the ticket to a vaginal birth. I did this and I had an easy vaginal birth. And this is complete rubbish. Yeah, yeah, you don't hear me. Make too many there are. There is no validity in this statement whatsoever. Firstly, if that was a thing, we just do it for everybody, right, nobody's happier than us when someone has a uncomplicated vaginal birth. Instantly we should be skeptical of such a claim, but it's it is not. You know, there's a there's a well known psychological experiment where if you tell a child, a young child, I can't remember the exact age, but if you tell a young child a story about a boy goes to the shop and steals a bunch of lollies, and halfway home he falls off a bridge into a river and nearly drowns. And then and the little will go on, well, of course me tale. And then you say, what if you went to the shop and didn't steal the lollies. At a certain age of development, the job will say, well, you won't fall.
Speaker 1: Off the bridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, But I think when we get to about four, we stop being fooled by that, and we should be looking at this data and saying there is no connection between what you've proposed and the outcome that you've claimed on the basis of it. We got to do better than that.
Speaker 1: I can't help but think that people who pick up this episode, we're preaching to the converted. Yeah, maybe I don't know how to get it to people that sort of still think that you'll fall off the bridge. All right, So I want to talk about the next thing, which is what should somebody do if the advice about pregnancy comes from two different birth experts but they differ. And the reason why I'm saying this is because recently, I don't know whether it was you know, we recently did a podcast on caesarean rates rising, and another really popular podcast got on to her socials and said this. It was her pov. You realize that women are at more risk dying from a caesarian compared to a vaginal birth, and that the cesarean rates are increasing for no good reason, which means more women will die for no good reason. Yeah. Now this went viral. It thousands and thousands.
Speaker 2: Of you who were sucked in by that.
Speaker 1: Ye, thousands and thousands of likes, thousands of comments like and I.
Speaker 2: Just went yeah, because it sounds a little bit true, doesn't it. If you're more likely to die from a section, then the more sections we do, the more people die.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the only problem is that it's not true. Again that the problem here is that association is not causation, and the women in the CAESAR group who die they didn't die because of the caesar. So caesarian section is actually extremely safe operation. And the reason why. Firstly, we have to be very careful about drawing conclusions from rare outcomes, So very very very very few people diees resolve their pregnancy in Australia. Of those that do, there are often people who are so sick for other reasons that their baby is born by sas air insection for reasons related to whatever was wrong with them, not not the caesar itself. Does that make sense? So, for example, in the worst part of the COVID epidemic globally, pre vaccine pregnant women were showing a distinct susceptibility to becoming particularly unwell if they got full blown COVID, and they were coming into hospitals internationally with bilateral pneumonia and circulatory collapse and a complete complete life threatening disaster related to having COVID. Now, sometimes when they admitted to the hospital, their babies would be examined and found to be in big, big trouble because the woman's lungs weren't working well enough to get oxygen through the baby. So they would say, right, even though this baby's premature, going to get out anyway, because if baby stays inside this mum on this occasion, the baby won't survive. Fine, so we'll do a caesar to get the baby out. Well, baby comes out, goes well, mum succumbs to COVID. Did she die from the caesar? No, she died from COVID. So that's a good example that the association she had a caesar and then died is not causation. She didn't have a caesar that caused her death, so that this argument fails immediately on that baby.
Speaker 1: But it sounded very confident, and it was coming from a birth expert.
Speaker 2: Sounded good but was completely wrong. And the birth expert who made that statement that this is inexcuse what they should have known that that was incorrect.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, it speaks to everything. It speaks to the fear and anxiety women having pregnancy. It speaks to people saying that cesareans are on the rise and they are on the rice. And if you're interested in really delving into that topic, we've just done a two parter. Please listen to that. We talk all about why and you know, the people like to, I don't know, guild people for having caesareans, So, like, you know, it just spoke to all the emotion that people have around vaginal birth versus cesarean birth. But it's confusing. So how would you advise people to look at information like that?
Speaker 2: I think the first thing that we should probably be looking at is a concept of face validity sometimes in Australia called the pub test. Does that sound true on the basis of it, because I think we can knock some of these things down just because they sound like complete rubbish to start with. And there are certain people in the global political environment that if their lips are moving, just don't worry because absolutely, yeah, if we're flicking through the socials good medical advice, whether it's from obstetrician GP, obstitution midwife, even a quality influencer who was dedicated to accuracy, it doesn't include things. It doesn't include big broad statements to grab your immediate interest, like words like always a never, there's no always, and there's no never, things being toxic, harmful, harmful. These are invariably designed to get your attention or to sell you something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know, and I hope people hear it from us, that good medical advice. On the flip side, you know we're not that we say on the one hand, in certain populations, you know, it's not a panacea, Like we don't say this affects everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if someone's looking for a two second grab, I can't. I can't give a two second and grab on a complex issue and remain accurate. You might just have to engage in the complexity with me. And I think that's why we made our My Baby program. It's why I made this podcast, because the complexity it's it's not boring.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's it's obviously not boring because like our podcast has been downloaded like I don't know, twoo point five million.
Speaker 2: That is awesome. That's that's that's that is the evidence that it's not boring, and that and why not come along on the ride of the complexity. You don't have to agree with me, but you but but but we'll have a better conversation if you're if you are happy with delving into complexity.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone. I think the only other point I would make is sometimes you've just got to bypass stuff that isn't relevant to you, Like if somebody is talking about the fact that they had I don't know, something some rare occurrence, or you know, they're they're trying to do a different type of birth than you, or I don't know, like you know, sometimes just protect yourself a little bit, yes, by saying does this apply to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that it's a lot of doctors say don't don't google stuff. I don't do that. I think that that's they will. Yeah, So I try and take a different approach. I'm not sure if it's working it or not, but I try and take a different approaches. I tell people to limit the amount of time that set themselves clear boundaries, to limit the amount of time that they can scroll and worry. So fifteen minutes a day of that and that'll satisfy your need to do it.
Speaker 1: But but.
Speaker 2: I've found personally I get it anxious about things if I if I give it more time than that there are other issues I'm weirdly interested in other things that that get me anxious when I read, we.
Speaker 1: Better tell people in case I think they're weird.
Speaker 2: I'm weirdly interested in US politics, which is which is something that I have no business being interested in control and con over it. But when I when I when I read about the sort of socials, I get this. I get it's probably skewed idea that what I'm reading represents the views of ordinary people, which probably only represents the views of people who want to say things loudly on the socials. But I know that the key to controlling my anxiety about it is to limit the time. So I try and say that to people. And the other thing I asked I say to people is don't be embarrassed if you've seen something on the socials or on the Internet that you think needs my explanation about why I have recommended something completely different. Yeah, come on in, Yeah, bring it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk to your practitioner about that, talk about it, yeah, exactly. They should be able to say, well, you know, this is why this is what I'm recommending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't just do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come and talk to me. The additional thing that I do is I've started a separate Instagram account which is total I don't know what you call it, like an anonymous one, and I only follow my hobbies yep. And it's really lovely. It's golf, doesn't it doesn't angry at my blood. And I also still limit myself on that because even now it's worked out, how old I am where I live, like, so now I'm getting all these menopause things and I'm like, go away. This is supposed to be my happy place.
Speaker 2: So what's on the art and golf?
Speaker 1: Art and golf and some gym stuff, So you know, maybe that's a That's another thing. If you're feeling like your pregnancy laden social media is getting you down, sick of scene, the influences and all the wacky things they're doing with their pregnancies, have a different account that you flip into and just feel at peace.
Speaker 2: That sounds like very good advice. I'm going to take that advice.
Speaker 1: You do that, Pat sick if you being on my Instagram account and skewing it with all your us points.
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, I enjoyed talking about that, because you know, Pat and I talk about this all the time. We sort of have this fascination and we find things on the internet we go, oh my god, Pat, did you see this? And sometimes I can't actually show you because you get too angry, So I know, I sort of have to pick my moment and go, oh, what should what do you think about this pattern?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: Tell us how you go? What are you doing to help you discern your good information? Just come into our Instagram DMS. We'll have some posts up about this so we can start the conversation because I think it's a really vital one and it's a vital one for everybody's psychological health. So you can grow your babies in with some calm and some confidence and a bit of peace. If you enjoy our podcast, we would really like to ask you to do two things. One is share it with a friend, and the second is is to give us a five star review on Spotify or Apple or wherever you listen to us. That really helps to push our podcast out to other people. And if you're loving our evidence based information, sign up to our free newsletter. You get a week by week newsletter telling you what happens at each stage each week of your pregnancy. All right until next week, Keep well, keep growing those babies, and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, everybody, Bye for our Hey.
Speaker 1: Even though doctor Pat is well a doctor and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, I just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice when you grow your baby,