Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mamma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: From Mamma Mia. Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fix. I'm a Murnham and I'm Laura Brodneck. On today's show, we are talking about a new Netflix series called Monsters, based on the Menandez brothers. Kim Kardashian is involved. We will be unpacking that. Plus Katy Perry has a new Australian enemy.
Speaker 1: But first, but first, we have some very exciting movie news, well exciting for anyone who is a Marvel fan, which, judging by the box office numbers for that franchise, is pretty much everyone in the entire year. So the first trailer for the new Thunderbolts movie came out today. Have you seen it?
Speaker 2: I have seen Okay, confession, I watched it without the sound on.
Speaker 1: Okay, then you would have missed completely all of the context.
Speaker 2: I was already the captions.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'm going to suggest that you watch it again with sound, just because the delivery of the lines and the music and you know, the action is a very pivotal part it's very fun.
Speaker 2: Florence Peugh's in it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Florence Pew is the new leading lady for Marvel. And I've got to say, you know how we watched that when we went to see Deadpool together and there was that great joke where Ryan Reynolds character on Deadpool turns to the audience says, oh, come on, you know, no one's cared about Marvel since Endgame, and everyone's like, it's kind of fair.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 1: So Florence Pugh is back as Julena, and also David Harbar's character Alexi. They were both introduced in the Black Widow movie. I feel like now it feels like Marvel is kind of finding its feet again. Obviously they're finding their feet on TV because agathat all Along is amazing. But I feel like this is the most excited that I many fans have been for a movie release because it feels that the story is being reset. It feels fresh, it feels interesting. So you've got Florence Pugh and David Harbart teaming up with Sebastian stan Why Russell Alga Klenko for this new story, and they're like the B team of the of the Avengers.
Speaker 2: They do we know where this takes place on the timeline, Like, is it now like modern like present time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of present time. So if you want to kind of track Yolena's character, which is Florence Pugh, she was introduced in Black Widow. She then made an appearance in Hawkeye the.
Speaker 2: TV series, and this was Hayley Steinfeld.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is kind of picking up up after Black Panther because also Julie Louis Dreyfus's character is in it, So that's kind of where past ant Man Quantumania, we'll just forget that existed past Black Panther. And now we're kind of setting the scene for this new batch of Marvel characters. And they're kind of like the Rogue b Team, like they kind of like failed assassins or fail villains, and they have the team up and it just looks so.
Speaker 2: Reminds me of like Suicide Squad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit like that would bring a bit more humor back into the Marvel universe. Anyway, I'm very excited. It was actually delayed for a while due to the writers and actress strikes last year, and so the movie is coming out in May. Of next year, So you're excited.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited. I also have some trailer news.
Speaker 1: Oh, what is it?
Speaker 2: Gladiator? The second trailer? The second trailer for Gladiator too. Yes, yes, so we did unpack the first trailer. We will link that in our show notes. But I'm just obsessed. And this is the first time I've actually seen Paul Meskal talk.
Speaker 1: In character seriously this trailer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he didn't talk in the first trailer.
Speaker 1: So true. Well, infamously, spillers, you would know that Paul Mescale is Emily's very favorite actor of all time, and she has yet to see him act anything, has never seen any of his TV shows or movies. So when you see Gladiator, this is gonna be a big moment for Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's already given me the echo some of his dialect. But it's fine. So there is a new series out on Netflix done by Ryan Murphy. It's called Monsters, The Lyle and Eric Menendez Story, and it's based on the true crime story of these two brothers, their brothers. So this is the second season of Ryan Murphy's series called Monsters. The first one was on Jeffrey Dharma, which I think was highly controversial.
Speaker 1: It was highly controversial in that people thought it was like over glamorizing Dama's story and all his brutal murders. But at the same time it you know, did very well for Netflix if the numbers are really high, and it had quite a lot of critical acclaim Like Evan Peters, who played Jeffrey Darmer, won some big awards for it, so he was one of the ones that people pushing against but also over and watched it.
Speaker 2: And Nicy Nash also one yes beautiful speech, so he's gotten the same feedback for this series of course, of over glamorizing this true crime story. So basically the true story is about Lyle and Eric Menandez, who were two brothers who were convicted for murdering their parents in nineteen eighty nine. They were aged eighteen and twenty two at the time. What happened was they killed the parents, but they didn't immediately know that they were the killers, so they spent around two months of just living this really glamorous life. So their dad was quite wealthy. It's predicted that they spent seven hundred thousand dollars in two months wow before they were caught. As like the killers of their parents. They were trialed separately and then it was a hung jury, and then they were trialed together and they were convicted for first degree murder. And they did say that they were abused by their father and neglected by their mother, but that was dismissed in court, so they're now facing a life sentence in prison. What happened was that when this series came out, similar to the Jeffrey Darmer series, people were highly critical of it for not just over glamorizing the story, but for also making it weirdly sexy. Yeah, like they made it very salacious, like the boys are always in like speedos and are like looking really hot. Forgetting that not only is this like a murdercine, but also it involved trauma from both of these boys who experience this from their parents, and people are completely ignoring that. Eric put out a statement through his wife's Twitter account kind of calling out Netflix and Ryan Murphy. It's a massive statement. I'm just gonna read you a part of it. This is what he said. I believe we had moved on beyond the lies and ruinous character portrayals of Lyle talking about his brother creating a characterture of Lyle rooted in horrible and blatant lies rampant in the show. I can only believe they were done so on purpose. It was a heavy heart that I say, I believe Ryan Murphy cannot be this naive and inaccurate about the facts of our lives so as to do this without bad intent. There's so much more of the statement. I think we'll put it on our Instagram so you can read it. But he basically called that Ryan Murphy. He called out Netflix, and he was talking about how usually these kind of shows, like these murder shows, I feel like what the director and the creator try to do is kind of show the story of the victims. And with this show, what Eric was saying is that it just made it so much worse.
Speaker 1: Right, So it was more trying to take this idea of what people thought, these almost glamorous, wealthy killers, what their story was, and below that up for entertainment instead of trying to say, like, this is like a way of using drama and storytelling to tell the stories of victims.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fact that they're still alive, they're still facing a life sentence in prison. They constantly talk about male victims of sexual violence. And it's kind of disheartening because I think doing these stories are so dangerous when the people who have still been impacted and were victims are still alive and are there to watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's the hard thing about when you want to try and take a true story and turn it into a drama is that you can't tell it like a documentary. You can't have like then, this happened, and this happened, this happened, And the same with Dhamar is that you've got to stay with this character all through the show and stay with him through the awful gore and violence. So you also have to have moments where you humanize him while you understand him or you see things through his eyes, which is very disturbing. And when it's a fictional character, it's upsetting to watch, but at least you can see like, oh, this is part of the storytelling. But when it's a real person and all of the family members are watching. This is why I have such an issue with true crime and entertainment, and not to get to my high horse, because I know I watch a lot of problematic shit, but I also don't watch true crime or listen to True Prime podcast personally because I just find part of it to murky, but also to find it enjoyable. And I think that's the thing is like the way Ryan Murphy does it is that he is a master of making things enjoyable and enticing to watch, and that's what he's done and that's why people watch his work. So it also feels a little bit rich for some of the fans, not the people involved in the case, it feels a bit rich for me for some of the fans to then get upset about the content that they've always consumed from him.
Speaker 2: Hmm. That's such a good point. I also think just the case that he chose in general is just so highly contentious because I assume that this Monster series would be just about serial killers because kind of black and white in the sense where like bad person, bad person kills other people, Whereas this is a case where these brothers killed their parents, but their case was that because they were being abused, right, and they're also victims, and having them fall under a series as titled Monsters just seems so weird to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, that is wildly problematic.
Speaker 2: So this has blown up. Kim Kardashian was actually she's paying a visit to the prison. We know she's like a lawyer, now.
Speaker 1: Well, she works a lot in prison reform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she visited the prison where Eric and Layla held over the last weekend. She was also joined by one of the stars on the show, Cooper Karsh, who plays Eric, as well as his sister Chloe and mum Chris. It hasn't actually been proven that she visited the men specifically, but that she was just pictured there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which she does a lot, I have to say, And I know there's also been a lot of contention about that over the years, of people saying she's using it for publicity.
Speaker 2: Because you know, the same with Gypsy Rows.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, yeah, I guess that was also about prison reform. That also felt like just a great moment for the Kardashians as a TV series that they were looking to film. But I think my thoughts on Kim Kardashian's prison reform is that it doesn't matter that she's doing it for publicity, because particularly the women that were sentenced for like really tiny crimes and just didn't have the legal help or the money to sort of get themselves out of it that have been released after twenty years. It doesn't matter to them that it's publicity, Like you can really see the act. It's not like she's just walking red carpets and talking about it or she's going to fundraising events. Like there's so many women in particular that have got out of prison when they would have just been left out a rot and like never see their families again because of Kim Kardashian. So I feel like in this case, the outcome is worthy of any kind of allegations of publicity. So I don't think it's strange that she was there, but it seems very telling that she was there with the actor, like she was trying to sort of get involved in this particular case.
Speaker 2: Right now in that specific prison. They've said that she is working on beautifying the gardens in prison, which is also the same project that Lyle and Eric are both working. Yeah, so I'm not sure if she jumped on that bandwagon, if it was just like a happy coincident.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's someone's brought that to her attention. It's kind of working with the whole situation there, And also interestingly, is like she's also extremely close to Ryan Murphy as we know that he cast her in American Horror Story. He made the oj Simpson TV series which also start actors as her family, and like the younger Kardashians, kind of got her into acting with American Horror Story. He's now like co producing her new big TV show that's coming out, so like they're really in business together, which is adding another layer to this whole situation.
Speaker 2: And I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that little me and great. We have written a lot about this TV show and everything that's happened behind the scenes on making it. If you want more, we will link those pieces in our show notes.
Speaker 1: And well, in the words of one Emily Vernon, Katy Perry has a new Australian enemy. Is that we're labeling this. If you don't know where that joke's coming from, I think everyone would know. We're talking about a couple of years ago when Katy Perry so Catherine Hudson, the singer, was involved in a legal battle with an Australian designer. Katy Perry spelled Katie who is now Katie Jane Taylor changed her name and this was to do with the fact that Katie Jane Taylor. So the Australian version of Katy Perry was selling and designing Hermeline under the label Katy Perry since about two thousand and seven, and then Catherine Hudson aka singer Katie Perry, initially fought the Australian registration of the Katy Perry label. So it's a really back and forth over who was going to get to use the Katy Perry name spelt differently, but still Katie Perry brilliant in Australia exactly. All of a sudden, everyone's super aware of the Katy Perry clothing brand, and Katy Perry the singer later withdrew the opposition and the trademark was registered. So but that made international headlines for a long time, that the fact that Katy Perry was in this legal back and forth with an Australian designer. And now she's come back for round two. Oh god, because Katy Perry is going to performing at the AFL Do you want to jump in here?
Speaker 2: She's performing at the AFL Grand Final, which is this Saturday. It is Brisbane Lyons versus Sydney, Swan.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't really know that because I live in Sydney and my families in Brison. Oh, this is the game they've all been talking about.
Speaker 2: I get it. I get big deal because AFL is like a Victorian sport and there's no Victorian teams yes in the grand finals. So and they're both still playing at the MCG, which.
Speaker 1: Is where you always What has really come out of this year for me personally with all of the conversation on Katy Perry's music and her like new interviews and her new album, is that I'm just desperate to see that woman perform live. I just, yes, I have some questionable thoughts about her new music. I just want to have a spare AFL ticket. I don't even need to stay for the game. I just want to pop in and see Katy Perry and leave.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you right now, you're not going to get a ticket.
Speaker 1: We can dream. So anyway, Katy Perry is playing at the sports event, which is really giving Super Bowl Australia vibes, and it.
Speaker 2: Is pretty much the Super Bowl Australia, except I feel like when international celebrities come here to perform, they assume it's like Super Bowl level and then are like, what is.
Speaker 1: So, what's come out is that Katy Perry has apparently been in a bit of a back and forth with the AFL over the set list that she will perform at this event. So this reported by AFL journalist Tom Morris, first time we've quoted him on this particular podcast. So during Tom Morris's reporting in his coverage of this very breaking news event, AFL great Cane Korn's said, this is a direct quote. The AFL are saying, we only want your hits. We only want your bangers, we only want your best stuff. We want raw, we want teenage dream, we want firework. These are the songs we know and love. And Katy Perry has pushed back and said, no, no, no, I want to play two of my new songs. And then Cane Korn's said, you know when you go to a concert and maybe they're old and all you want is their good stuff. You just want their greatest hits. That's what the AFL have requested of Katy Perry, and she's gone, no, I want to promote my new music. And then a few of the other AFL men who I won't name because I'm pretty sure our readers, just like me, don't know who they are said, well, they should have written into her contract. It's too late to ask her something if it's not written to the contract. In fact, they have it, Katie, You're just going to have to come to the party. Thoughts.
Speaker 2: I really should have been the one to bring this segment. What do I mean?
Speaker 1: I thought I was a great explainer.
Speaker 2: No, you explained it. Well, I'm kind of on the AFL side.
Speaker 1: Hinge. Of course you are, because I'm a sports girl. Pick me.
Speaker 2: The people who are going to the AFL are like crazy sports fanatics. Like they're like crazy fanatics. Like even if I try to get a ticket, I wouldn't want to go because I'd be insulting these people taking their spot. Okay, so I understand why they want the hits because those will be the only songs that the people in the crowd would know. Okay, they're not going to be knowing Women's World, They're not going to be knowing any other new song she sings. They might know Swish Swish, which I think she should have performed. And also, it's not going to be super Bowl level, so the crowd is not going to be that big, that into. It's not going to be like massive celebrity. There will be Australian celebrities going, but not like crazy a less celebrities going.
Speaker 1: But also the woman has already done the Super Bowl halftime show and she did like a great job, so she's there. She had that performance level, or she can tone it down, so she want to sing two new songs and it'd be absolutely drop dead silence in the state. I just think looking at from her perspective, like I said, I think Katy Perry has got some bangers, and if I was going to this sporting event, wherever it may be in the world, I would love to see her play all her hits. But at the same time, she's a business. She's got a new album like one four to three, her new studio album has just come out. The reviews are bad, which I think is kind of separate too. I think everyone's kind of really jumped in this whole Katy Perry hate train, which is why this story has been picked up so intensely today. Like normally most people wouldn't be that interested in the setlist back and forth between a singer and a football game, but it's just because people are just like they just love when a very famous woman is getting piled on, and so I think a lot of people are jumping on that, which is separate to the actual music critics that have written like really thoughtful pieces and don't like it. That's a separate thing. So she's got a new album to promote, and I totally understand why she might want to push it with two songs and say I'll do one Like that's not That's what all artists do when they have new music, and they do promo events like this to get their new album out, And the whole point of them doing that is to say I'll play a few hits and I'll play the new music so you can hear it, and that's how they build their business in their career. Like, she's not crazy, No, okay, I understand that point.
Speaker 2: But now, because this is so well known the story, I just know when she sings that new song, they're going to be zooming in on like middle aged men's faces, going what the hell is this?
Speaker 1: I think they should be so lucky to see Katy Perry live, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know what I think she should do. She should do what Robbie Williams did in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Why what was that?
Speaker 2: So Robbie Williams played at the twenty twenty two AFL Grand Final. He's actually an AFL fan, like he's actually a massive supporter of Carlton, so he was having the best time. He knew exactly what to do. He had to play one of his new songs, which I feel like he personally didn't want to do because like the crowd just wanted the bangers, as you know, but he actually said on the my sorry, I have to do the obligatory new song. So he grabbed the guitar, he sang a few lines, did and even sing the whole song, and then immediately went in too, let me entertain you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a way to do it. I think that Katie, that's what she should do. She should come out with raw, break the Fourth Wall, and then Teenage Dream, and then she plays Woman's World, which I'm gonna say, I know all the words to again, someone get me new ticket, I will sing along, and then she ends with Firework. That's how she does it, Like, that's what she should be.
Speaker 2: Doing, and I think she should just be really appreciative of this opportunity. So I have a fun fact for people who don't watch sports. Also, I'm sorry if I get this wrong because I'm also new at the sporting world. But in AFL, like each player has their own song, so really so if they kick a goal, they'll play a song of their choice. That's air song.
Speaker 1: So many of them.
Speaker 2: Have Katie Perry bangers.
Speaker 1: Really, that's great.
Speaker 2: It isn't cure.
Speaker 1: See she deserves to be there. That is a truly fun fact. Emily vote. We'll done.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. If you want some record commendations from movies and TV shows or even books, we will be putting a link in our show notes to some of the recent episodes we did. Thank you to our producer Kimberly Bradish and our audio production by Scott Stronik. We will be back here in your podcast speed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye bye