Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Hello to all our little builders and their grown ups. Welcome to How to Build a Universe where stories build worlds. I'm Jen you are parent educator, author mum to four and my co host is me Yep.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: I'm Tom Lyon, executive chief of fun at Mamma Mia And.
Speaker 3: What hi are you? Okay? Tom?
Speaker 1: Sorry? Everyone, I just slipped on a squishy banana and still a little bit wobbly. These jungle bananas are way more slippery than I expect.
Speaker 3: Well, you'll never believe where I've been.
Speaker 1: I've just got back from the jungle where I saw what monkeys are calling the Great Banana Bungle of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: The Great Banana Bungle. Why do I have a feeling this is going to be your most slippery story?
Speaker 3: Yes, invitable.
Speaker 2: You know what can also feel like a jungle sometimes, Tom, sibling rivalry. We all want kids that get along, but sibling rivalry is a reality for most parents. How can we encourage kids to play in a way that's fair and doesn't keep us in the middle? Did you know, the average siblings fight around eight times an hour, and the peak of fighting is between the ages of three and eight. So if you are in this, trust me, it is so normal. Today's tip is about incorporating multiple kids, often at different ages and stages, into the play. The idea is we can try to remain really neutral and try to think of ourselves as a commentator as our kids interact. With today's jungle theme. Just say both kids want to play with the monkey. We can say, hmm, I can see two kids who both really want the monkey.
Speaker 3: This is tricky.
Speaker 2: I wonder how we can work it out so that it's fair. When one child is sitting a little too close to another and we notice that isn't working for all, we might also narrate I can see you want to sit close to your sister, but I'm looking at her face and I'm wondering if she needs a little spar for this game. Also remembering that kids sometimes need our help when things get too much. When kids are snatching, hitting, or hurting, we need to step in and stop them to keep everybody safe.
Speaker 1: Yes, safety first, for sure, Jen, Now are you ready for an absolutely wild adventure?
Speaker 4: I'm ready.
Speaker 3: Everyone grab your binoculars, put on.
Speaker 1: Your explorer hats, and maybe watch out for those stray banana pills, because after this, we're heading into the most mysterious, magnificent, mouth watering journey you've ever been on.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, my little adventurer, I've been sleeping with wolves for the last week.
Speaker 3: And I'm feeling a bit strange.
Speaker 1: Anyhow, hello there, Today we're heading into the wild, wonderful jungle.
Speaker 3: Do you know what a jungle is? A jungle is like.
Speaker 1: A big, big forest full of trees, but a little bit more tropical. Now, I want you to imagine all sorts of wild plants and undergrowth that has a life of its own, with vines hanging from the trees. And there's also a waterfall nearby, with rushing fresh water flowing down the cliff like a river tumbling downstairs made of rock. Now, this rainforest or jungle is also home to all sorts of animals, tigers, monkeys, and snakes. So to get ready, you know what we like to do. We're going to take a deep breath in.
Speaker 3: And out. Let's listen to the sounds around us.
Speaker 4: What can you hear?
Speaker 3: Maybe some birds there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one sounds like a gorilla, maybe a jaguar.
Speaker 3: Some great kisses. They're well done.
Speaker 1: Now let's take two big steps through these giant green leaves. I'll COUNTERSI ready, big step number one and step two.
Speaker 3: Now we are really inside the jungle. Do you hear that rainstick? Today?
Speaker 1: You'll need your own rain stick for good luck. You can use anything. Is there a toy you like to carry around? Although I've just put five Lego duplo blocks together to make my rain stick for anything will work. The jungle floor is a thick blanket of leaves and dirt.
Speaker 3: You know what dirt feels like under your feet?
Speaker 2: I hope you do.
Speaker 1: I mean it's kind of like sand, but a bit softer and thicker. Today we're searching for something very magical. It's called the banana bonanza tree. Now what's so magical about it? Well, for starters, the bananas.
Speaker 3: Are all sorts of colors. You won't see that in your local supermarket.
Speaker 1: Legend has it, this tree can grow bananas of any flavor you can imagine.
Speaker 3: Think about that.
Speaker 1: You could eat a chocolate banana, an ice cream flavored banana.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I know, I choose that.
Speaker 1: One late at night when I'm not supposed to, or even a strawberry banana.
Speaker 3: Let's take another step.
Speaker 1: Forward, because I think we're getting very close to the banana tree, but it's on the other side of that river flowing right in front of us.
Speaker 3: Take a listen.
Speaker 1: So first we need to swing across the water with something, because that vine up above is a little bit short to get across the water. Can you think of something we can hold on to to swing across the river? Hmmm? Anything around the house like a doggy lead? Are you holding onto that toy from before Mum's morning rope to swing across this river to get us to the magical banana bonanza tree.
Speaker 3: Great, those ideas are very appealing. See what I did there.
Speaker 1: Now let's get across the river on three. We're making a big swing over one, two three across wig.
Speaker 5: Ouch.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, look.
Speaker 1: At what we've found, the magical flavor banana tree. And it's enormous branches stretching up towards the sky with bananas of every color. And I'm in every red one's, purple ones, blue ones, gray, gray ones. Oh, might stay clear of those, even rainbow striped ones.
Speaker 3: Oh, someone else is here? Do you hear that? Oh wow, look at all these bananas.
Speaker 4: I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 1: Well that's Sammy, everyone, She's a jungle monkey who loves adventures almost as much as she loves bananas.
Speaker 4: These are all mine.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have every single flavor all to myself. Oh dear, Sammy's jumping from branch to branch, grabbing as many colorful bananas as she can hold. But I can see other animals are arriving too, a family of elephants, a slow moving slaw, and a toucan called Tito.
Speaker 4: But for my beg banana for my bee.
Speaker 3: He's talking to canto.
Speaker 4: Grassy as a grassy as is Spanish, or thank you.
Speaker 3: That elephant cup wants a blue one. Sammy naha finds keepers.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna taste every flavor all to myself. Oh golly, Sammy's climbing up higher and higher, trying to grab every single banana before anyone else can. Ah. She's stuffing bananas everywhere. Her cheeks look like beechballs. He's even balancing them on a tail.
Speaker 3: How can you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I think the tree is starting to sway. Everyone step back. Oh now, the great banana bungle is happening.
Speaker 3: The tree has tilted right over the river.
Speaker 1: All the magical bananas are falling into the water and floating down stream towards a big waterfoot.
Speaker 3: My bananas, they're getting warmed.
Speaker 1: Geez, Sammy, feels like you played a role in this. If they go over the edge, we'll lose those yummy, magical bananas forever and we can't have that.
Speaker 4: That is Spanish for do you need help? Ah?
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you Tito. Will you help too, my little explorer?
Speaker 1: Quickly, everyone, look at those giant banana leaves still attached to the tree. I think we can use them to float. Let's reach out and pull some down. Carefully, reach your hand up like you're grabbing a big banana leaf.
Speaker 3: That's it. Grab a few big leaves.
Speaker 1: Perfect, These giant leaves are strong enough for us to float on on the river. Let's make some banana leaf boats to rescue those magical bananas.
Speaker 3: Lay it out like we're going to go surfing on it.
Speaker 1: Perfect. But wait, we need to work together on this one.
Speaker 3: Nah, I don't need help. I'll get my bananas myself.
Speaker 1: Samy's keen to get them back, but the river's current is far too strong for I heard a manage on her own. Oh and there we go. Sammy's grabbed a big leaf and jumped onto the river. Oh my, she's surfing that leaf downstream. She's spinning round and around. There's no way she's going to steer that leaf by herself. Let's show Sammy our teamwork makes things easier. We're gonna sit on this leaf and paddle it like a rowboat. Can you pretend to paddle with me? Just reach your hands out and then pull them back to your chest like we're rowing a boat. Now, let's hop on that river.
Speaker 3: Let's count our strokes together to stay in rhythm. One two, one two.
Speaker 1: Look the elephant family is working together, the little ones in the middle, and the guanops paddling.
Speaker 3: On either side, and the two cans lying above calling out directions.
Speaker 1: Yes, now that's pretty good teamwork. We're getting into the waterfall, but it's.
Speaker 3: A big drop. Time to paddle faster.
Speaker 1: Can you help really put those strong arms into it. One two, we're almost caught up to Sammy. She's still spinning around on her leaf. She can't get any of herbanots ha ha.
Speaker 3: Hell my arm's a dede dimy I can't do this by myself.
Speaker 1: Oh, the elephants reaching a trunk out to pull Sammy close to us.
Speaker 3: Come on, Sammy and teetoe. The two cans helping out.
Speaker 4: Too climb aboard when one can't, two can has a two can job.
Speaker 3: Oh, Sammy's jumping on board. Haha. Now Sammy, we can work as a team. All that waterfalls getting close row road down the stream. We make a perfect paddling team.
Speaker 4: Teamwork makes that dream work.
Speaker 1: We paddle fast, we paddle strong. This is our team banana song.
Speaker 3: Good enough, We did it.
Speaker 1: We rescued all the magical bananas and steered away from the waterfall just in time.
Speaker 4: It's wonderful jomp.
Speaker 1: Everyone, look at our collection of colorful, magical bananas.
Speaker 3: Red ones, it might taste like strawberries. Hmmm.
Speaker 1: The blue ones taste like blueberry ice cream.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I tried to keep all the bananas for myself.
Speaker 1: I was so excited by the yumminess of it all I forgot about sharing.
Speaker 3: It's okay, Sammy, we all feel like that sometimes. You know what, I think all these bananas will taste even better if we try them all together.
Speaker 1: Nice one, Sammy, Well that was quite an adventure, wasn't it. I'm just looking over at all our animal friends there are sitting around in a circle sharing the magical flavored bananas.
Speaker 4: You, bigie, looks like a banana.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jen, I've actually brought back some delicious banana cake for you to try.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping you'll like it. Will you have some? I would love some. It tastes beautiful.
Speaker 1: I was tempted to keep the whole cake to myself, just like how Sammy and this story wanted to keep all the bananas to herself. But then I thought, you know what, some things are actually more fun when we share them together. So want to help me make this cake disappear?
Speaker 3: Oh yum?
Speaker 2: Now that's what I call jungle justice. Play when done with siblings, can be a bit more of a jungle in terms of managing things, but a beautiful way to create shared experiences, foster that sibling bond, and teach kids the skills they need for the world, like conflict and negotiation skills. It makes sense for group play to be chaotic, and you are not getting it wrong. If things have the odd bump, your little monkeys will one day get along with ease. I promise you.
Speaker 1: Time to say bye bye to our banana, because next week we're blusting off into a world where superheroes fly and save the day.
Speaker 3: Better start practicing.
Speaker 1: Your superhero poses because we're heading to a world where ordinary kids discover they have extraordinary superpowers.
Speaker 2: Going to work on my superhero poses right now. Until then, remember us stories build universes.
Speaker 3: And your imagination is always ready for an adventure. See you next time. Builders by.
Speaker 1: The executive producer of How to Build a Universe is Courtney Amenhauser. Sammy was voiced by Tarlie Blackman and Tito the Tucan was by Tiana and Isaac's Daddy, with story writing and sound designed by me Tom Lyon. Thanks for listening to today's episode of How to Build a Universe.
Speaker 3: We'd love to know what you thought of it.
Speaker 1: You can fill out our survey and go in the running to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: There's a link in the show notes.