Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on from Mamma Mia.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture fixed. I'm m Burnham and today I'm joined.
Speaker 1: With Ash London. Thank you for having me back.
Speaker 3: Please here on the show today we are talking about the new movie It Ends with Us. Yes, we have talked about it in the past, but now we're diving into all the behind the scenes controversy and drama.
Speaker 1: So much going on.
Speaker 4: My goodness, incredible pr for a movie premier?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Is it incredible pr?
Speaker 3: Or is it a disaster? You'll find out. But first Ash, I have some sad news.
Speaker 1: Oh no, please tell me.
Speaker 3: We unfortunately have yet another update from the upcoming divorce of Jennifer Ben Afwick.
Speaker 1: Now is it officials they're breaking up? They? What is going on? I'm very confused about the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It's so funny how every time we talked about Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck, it's always an update about their divorce.
Speaker 2: But it's not actually the divorce.
Speaker 4: It's it's just imminent photos, which is what celebrities do, right, they're like bread crumb us so that we're not too shocked.
Speaker 3: So it was reported by people j Loo was seen visiting Ben Affleck's home in La after spending a day with his son that he shares with Jennifer Ghana.
Speaker 1: So that means they have separate houses. We know this much.
Speaker 2: They have separate houses.
Speaker 3: They were looking at merging, like having one big house, like with all.
Speaker 2: Of their children in superhouse, a superhouse.
Speaker 3: But it has been reported that now they're looking at separate houses. So a source told people, just because she's not with Ben doesn't mean she doesn't care about his kids. And this is something I feel like they've been drip feeding us, like you said, like they're always seen spending time with each other's kids, but not spending time to get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I hope that it's like a legitimate thing that they really do have great relationships with the kids and want to hang out, as opposed to some like pr thing where they're like, right, you got to get your daughter in and he's gonna they got hold hands and have a cinnabon or some weird you know, like using them as pawns. But I guess they are real people and they did love each other. And that's what happens, right, like kids become close. Like it's different. But remember and Dakota Johnson, whose stepfather is Antonio Banderas, Yes, and he got some award and she got up there and like presented the war to him and it was so beautiful. And then you remember, like, oh, they're actually like real people.
Speaker 3: Especially I guess since they're older kids, because they see everything and they know everything. Just before this, I don't think we've talked about this on the spill. We talked about j Loo celebrating her birthday in the Hamdams without Ben Affleck because he was working in LA But then after that there were images release of Ben Affleck that started to trend everywhere because they were labeled as the most divorced looking man anyone has ever.
Speaker 1: I'm looking.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at them now. The headline ain't wrong and he always wrong dad and his face always looks pissed off and exhausted and over it.
Speaker 1: But now the outfit's kind of reflecting it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's having a bit of a glove. So I wonder if this is the end of sad Ben He's got kind of a haircut that's like shaved on the side but a bit longer on the top. It's like nearly a Mohok, we're not quite there yet. He's wearing avi at a sonny. He's a leather jacket. I feel like he's channeling his back tattoo era.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's exactly right, but it's not nice, like it's I mean, maybe if he's trying to date women his age, it's going to work. But if he wants it in with the rest of Hollywood men do at that age and date someone in their twenties, he needs a stylist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe this is going to be the start of a Ben Affleck stylist, and then we're just going to see him.
Speaker 4: Be I mean so, I don't think so. He's like he can't be bothered. He does his own thing. He moves to the beat of his own drum. I just hope that he never gets truly happy, Like I love seeing him just at big Hollywood parties and everyone else would die to be at just wanting to be anywhere else, Like nothing makes me happier than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want him with his little sad coffee looking really sad.
Speaker 4: Just like scowling, whispering angrily to j Lo, like, get me the f out of this party. I want to go home and you know, play video games or whatever he likes to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I feel like he has the like pool, the Hollywood pool now to be able to act like that, so.
Speaker 1: You may more power.
Speaker 3: To you be a The only thing that I'm annoyed about is that if they do announce their divorce, we'll stop getting the updates. And I'm living for these updates. I just want us to continue forever.
Speaker 4: It's so great. Good on them. But yeah, no, I give it probably three months. Should we do a bet now that at least by the end of the year the paperwork will be signed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to say mid November.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll go, end of year, I'll go Thanksgiving, went to Thanksgiving, like end of November is I'll go, like, I'll go like December school holiday, so like first week of December where none of us care exactly there's no new cycle, Okay, so we.
Speaker 3: Have to talk about everything that's been happening with the movie.
Speaker 2: It ends with us.
Speaker 3: We did talk about the movie on Friday. If you missed it, give it a listen, We'll check a link of it in our show notes. But today we're not talking about the actual movie. We're talking about the real people behind the scenes, the people, yes, well in the front of camera, people behind the camera.
Speaker 1: And you would have done the people who did both, the.
Speaker 3: People who did both. You would have seen this all over your TikTok feeds, social feeds. I didn't really understand it, so I'm going to try to break this down, make it as clear as possible. So there were rumors that started when the film was released because the actors started doing.
Speaker 2: The press tour for it. And I feel like now more.
Speaker 3: Than ever, press tours have become a massive thing. We have talked about, like the women dressing up, like making their outfits a big deal. They try to make these tropes, like these couple of tropes we saw it with Lady Gaga Bradley, like Bridgerton, Sidney Sweeney, Glen Powell, and with this certain kind of press junket for this movie.
Speaker 2: Something was off.
Speaker 3: Because the cast were doing all of their press tours together and Justin Baldoni was doing it separately even though he was one of the main leads. Plus he was the director of the film, really weird stuff he's never seen with the rest of the car, so Blake Lively and all of them are together and he's just always been separate doing his own thing. So that's when rumors, I guess, started to spiral. That's where I first saw it, with the people saying that Blake, Lively and Baldoni had creative differences on set.
Speaker 4: And they didn't follow each other on Instagram, which is like, oh yeah, the Instagram thing red flag. So like Colin Hoover, the author of the film, and Blake G. Lively follow each other, but not Justin Baldoni. There's also been some information floated around that Colen and Blake became quite chummy during the film and maybe like Justin was kind of separate to that. I don't know what that means, but again another bit of proof of this some sort.
Speaker 1: Of a strange divide happening.
Speaker 4: And if we go back to the couple trope thing, if that is like a big pr thing that people are using to promote these films. Now everyone's married, that's like in this film, so they can't do that.
Speaker 1: They had to do something.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's got something to do with well, we need to generate some headlines, but everyone's kind of very happily married. And also Justin Baldoni is like quite religious, so I think he wouldn't probably want to get I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they tried to do the couple trope and then last minute decided against it, and.
Speaker 1: Or they just knew they could and they were.
Speaker 2: Like, we have to try something else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like can you guys have a fight or something, or maybe like the fight existed and they were like, Okay, well, you know I didn't get along, So we're leaning into that.
Speaker 2: We're leaning in.
Speaker 3: So some of the other things that happened around this time was when the film was taking place, the screenwriters went on strike just before the massive strike around the same time. Blake was doing interviews about the film. She was saying that her husband Ryan Reynolds helped her a lot with certain scenes and vice versa, like she also helped him with Deadpool. And this is really significant because Deadpool right now is the biggest movie that's come out, and it Ends with Us is the second biggest. So these two are just making bank on both of these movies. Everyone knows them, everyone knows their face and their names, and these are just like, I think one of the most powerful couples out right now. So one of the screenwriters said that they didn't know that certain scenes have changed until they actually saw the movie itself.
Speaker 1: And Ryan Reynolds was the one to rewrite that.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's been rumored that Ryan Reynolds was the course of this sale.
Speaker 1: That is so orky.
Speaker 2: It's so awkward.
Speaker 4: Like I get they're both extremely talented, but I don't know, like there's a way to do things. Justin is trying so hard to protect like because it's.
Speaker 3: His name on it, right, He's.
Speaker 1: Not said anything.
Speaker 4: Bad, he's seeming He's like, yeah, Blake's an amazing producer and so hands off. So yes, she was hands on, like all these things that we think areboud It gets to.
Speaker 1: Him and he's like, yeah, but it's amazing. So I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's all very confusing, But I don't think i'd want my husband to be like visiting work and meddling this year, you know.
Speaker 3: And then now looking back at all the promo that we discussed on Friday's episode, I don't remember seeing Baldoni on like any carpet, like he was obviously there because I've seen interviews now that this has all come to light, But on the carpet.
Speaker 2: It was like Blake Ryan, Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 1: Why the hell was Hugh Jackman there?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but it was fine to be there because she got to bring Gigi head dead to Deadpool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like they're two separate movies. How much money do you guys want to make here?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: And again, like the thematics of this film are very like, it's tough viewing this is really like important topics when we talk about domestic violence and like those kind of toxic relationships, we need to tread carefully, like there has to be a line, and for me, it feels like Justin's on one side of the line. And I know we'll kind of get into it because the internet's really blown up with this, but it seems like Blake's treating this like the Barbie Press too well. And really there's some kind of themes in here that require some attention and require some like what's the word like?
Speaker 3: So like you know, it needs like careful treading and and one side of the camp I think hasn't done that at all. But yes, there's like more fallout. Surprisingly after all of this after all the press. We will be getting into that after the break.
Speaker 2: So now we come to.
Speaker 3: The actual interviews that Blake and Justin have been doing for this movie. And if you don't know anything about the movie and you watch these interviews, it sounds like they're both promoting two completely separate films.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one may be a documentary about the epidemic that is domestic violence, and one might be a chick flick that's like get your girlfriends, have some rose and like giggle your way through this film like full of hearties, like it's you're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Two syparate films, two syparate films.
Speaker 4: We'll start with Justin Baldoni. So if you go to his Instagram, the last probably like eight to ten posts are all about the film and the promotion, and he's appeared on big like morning talk shows. I've got two grabs to play for you. The one is this very succinct. This really just kind of like wraps it up. One thing you want people to take away from this project, what would you say, hope.
Speaker 5: That everybody has the ability to end a cycle that they didn't ask for. We can all say it ends with us in our.
Speaker 4: Life and in the second one, he kind of goes into more detail. I just remember, this is like daytime US television, which is very light and airy and fluffy. He could have gone in there and turned on the charm and been like, it's a great fun film, go see it. But instead, as a man and a man with agency, listen to the approach that he takes.
Speaker 5: Of the things that I think is very easy to say, especially for us men, is when we maybe talk to somebody who's in the situation, or we book or we hear a news story, the question that's always asked is why did she stay? And that's the wrong question. Yeah, we need to be asking ourselves is why do men harm? Yes? And that was the big thing for me, And what I've learned more and more and more of is like, you know, these women who experience this every single day, there's real love there. You know, there's charm, there's charisma, there's passion, there's this belief that they can be better and it's not so simple. So our friends that know more, I'm wearing their pen right now. They were the ones who helped me make this film as truthful as possible and hopefully do justice.
Speaker 2: I just like to.
Speaker 4: Experience this, So he's taking these really seriously, and I think the way that he's approaching it, he's very measured. He's obviously consulted with DV groups to make sure that the messaging is right and it's helpful and it's something where people can like feel empowered.
Speaker 1: And then am Blake's kind of taking a bit of a different approache, which is her prerogative.
Speaker 2: When I saw this.
Speaker 6: Dress, it was like, oh my gosh, I can't believe it.
Speaker 5: I found it.
Speaker 6: It tab ben to and you know, it's the butterfly dress and Lily and her experience and the way what she goes through and how she comes out of it. It just felt so appropriate and also what Britney has meant to any girl or any person growing up when I did like she was such a shining example of a woman who could go through such challenging experiences but always do with grace and joy and love. And she just always felt like she led with love no matter what she was doing.
Speaker 3: So what I found really interesting about this was I went in to watch It ends with us without knowing much. I knew it was based off a clean book, and I didn't know it had a domestic violence undertone with it, because all I've seen has been the hype around Blake and her outfits. I thought it was going to be a really cute, rongcom with a quirky woman who two men are fighting over.
Speaker 2: That's literally what I thought, which.
Speaker 1: Is fair enough.
Speaker 4: And he says some sort of a warning at the start of the film when you go into watch.
Speaker 3: It, not that I remember, but I also think that sometimes with trigger warnings it takes away from the storyline and how you react as a person, because the way they depicte domestic violence was done so this is the wrong word to use, but so well in the way that exactly what Justin was saying in his interviews. A lot of people who face domestic violence, a lot of questions they get asked is why didn't you leave? And that's the wrong person to be asking me. She'd be asking men why do they harm? And that movie perfectly encapsulates exactly why women don't leave and like how hard it is. And I thought that was done so brilliantly, and I thought it had shown a light on something that's so tragic that's happening in society that no other film really touches on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's such a great opportunity for Blake to align herself with something so powerful, Like you'd think that she could see this as an opportunity to, if anything, kind of broaden her appeal is the wrong word, but like, you know, her and Ryan are so community focused and there's that's really good people, Like they're very generous up on good causes. It seems like it would have been a home run for her to just like yeah, oh with that.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting what Blake thought about when she went into the marketing of this film. And I can kind of, like not to pile on her, but I can kind of see her line of thinking. I think what they decided her and Ryan was to kind of duplicate the success of the marketing for Deadpool without realizing how different the movies are and how marketing can't just be a copy and paste like it is for most of the other films we've seen, Like we've seen it with Ryan Gosling, Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Emily Blunt, like yeah, yeah, yeah, like they are so easily able to copy and paste because we're just seeing like a rom com that so easily follows the two lead tropes. We've even seen w Chatting Tatum and Scarlet Joe Hanson with this new film, and this is just not the film that could have been duplicated that way because of the underlining issue that's trying to bring to light.
Speaker 4: And maybe their approach was, we want as many people to see this film as possible, because the message is so important. If we market it too heavily one way, people aren't gonna watch it. That's true, So let's go out and make this big and colorful and get headlines to get people in there. And then we believe so much in the message of this film that we know that that could be, like you know, another way of looking at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think it has succeeded in doing that with Justin focusing on domestic Violet with his press tour for his fans, and Blake focusing on it being like a rom com, which it's not a rom com, but it is working in bringing people in and watching it and then talking about it like we are right now.
Speaker 2: What is really.
Speaker 3: Interesting that this has worked is that it was such a risky game to play because we've seen it work so badly with another movie Don't Worry Darling.
Speaker 4: That's whole again, didn't need as much pr Like, this is one of the biggest books of the last couple of years for women, and Don't Worry Darling had freaking Harry Styles in it and his girlfriend at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the movie flopped.
Speaker 3: Don't Worry Darling flopped. And it's kind of the same thing. Like everyone thought there was a massive rift in the cast. I mean that one was a bit more obvious because you did see Olivia Wilde that video got leaked of her going misflow.
Speaker 2: Flow, how do we get her back on?
Speaker 3: And then that like rumor that Harry Styles spit on cris Pine, Like it was just like a follow on effect of absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think it's just cheap in the film though people like this film with a joke. I think before all of the press it kind of felt like this cool indie film that Harry Styles had signed onto, which is like so cool. It lost all the cool effect after that, it just became very high school I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I am actually quite glad that the same thing didn't happen for this movie. Right here, it ends with us because it is such an important film. But yeah, like if Blake had kind of changed her marketing for it. I think I would have been as a viewer more prepared going in to what to expect, Like I was not expecting that film at all. I was expecting a really cutely fun rom com, especially after the stream of rom coms we've been getting so far, and this one just hit differently. But now watching the press tool coming after it, I do see why people are upset as a viewer with Blake and Ryan and the angle they've taken with marketing, and now all of this stuff has been coming back up to the surface, like people are bringing up when they had their wedding on the plantation, Like I don't think it's working.
Speaker 4: Out what happens right as soon as it's like the tiniest pylon, like the pylon begins, and my take on it at the moment, just for me a casual observer and kind of looking through TikTok and Instagram, is it really the tide is kind of turning away from her at this point. My people are and that might be different in two days, and I hope it is, because I think the pylons are lame and everyone's kind of just trying their best to market this movie the best way they know how. And I know it always ended up saying this, at the end of these big discussions that we have, we don't actually know what's really happened.
Speaker 2: You know, what's really happened.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 4: We can piecings together, and for the most part, I think we do a pretty good job because things get leaked, things are very specific and contrived, and we see what we're supposed to see and YadA, YadA, YadA, But you know, we don't really know what happened. But all I can kind of take away from this is that like Justin Badoni is a good guy, Blake Lively is a good girl. Like they're not bad people, they're just taking different approaches here. And when you're doing this in the age of the Internet, with like billions of people watching, why is it going to get crossed? People are going to make their own stories. So they maybe should have been a bit more careful with this one.
Speaker 2: But we're still watching the film and I think.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 3: It's so good, like even like without all the drama, Like both of their acting skills, director skills, producing skills are just absolutely beyond like it's such a brilliant film.
Speaker 1: Can I ask does Justin play the bad guy?
Speaker 2: Or he plays the bad guy?
Speaker 1: Does he? I wondered about that because it could go either way.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 3: He does that rolelliantly. And then when you see him do the interviews and talking about how hard it was for him to play that part, I'm like, I can't even imagine like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did it so well, like so believable, which is really scary.
Speaker 3: And we've seen it also go bad, like I remember Game of Thrones when the guy who played Jeoffrey just quit acting altogether because people genuinely believed he was a bad person.
Speaker 1: Like if you're too good at your job, good, Yeah, But he's such a sweetheart. Everyone knows he's like such a nice guy.
Speaker 4: I'm drained the virgin and generally, like if you follow the guy on Instagram, it becomes very clear, very quickly that he's very spiritual, he's very family oriented.
Speaker 1: He's like, he's a good dude.
Speaker 2: If he can't dude, that's it, he's a good dude.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for listening to the spill today. If you want more content on the movie, it ends with us. We did do a little episode on it on Friday. We will link that in our show notes. Otherwise we will see you back here in your podcast speed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye Lan