Speaker 1: Welcome to the Seize the Yay Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives they adore, the good, bad and ugly, the best and worst day will bear all the facets of Seizing your Yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned unentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bark Ces The ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. Yeahborhood, you asked for more guests, and we've got two of the very very best today, who I was lucky to have sat down with just days before they kicked off an exciting new chapter in their story. Unless you've been living under a rock, you've liked already heard of sisters Bianca and bridget Rokasano, who celebrated the rebrand of their eponymous label this week with an insane collection shot in Paris featuring the glorious Bechjad as its face. If you are anywhere near social media, which I'm guessing is how you heard about this episode, you will have already seen all of us. These girls know how to make waves. It's just one of many huge successes between both Bianca and bridget the label and their other Yes, they have two multimillion dollar business booby tape the twenty one dollar ninety five breastlift in a box that's taken over the world. There's been branded private jets Forbes USA, thousands of stockers in over forty countries around the world, and even a copycat situation with one Kimmy Ka. I mean, you know that you're doing something right when Kim Kardashian is copying what you're doing. But what I loved spending a lot of this hour on was the stuff I couldn't find as easily on Google from their more humble beginnings. You guys know, I love to go down a research wormhole. The stricter upbringing they had from their immigrant family, growing up in little old mill Dura, which is not what you would expect from such global sensations, hustling customers into lig On Street restaurants in Melbourne with garlic bread for a living, and thinking that thirteen dollars an hour that they made in their first business was an absolute killing. Biuncer and Bridget are the perfect example of good things taking time and many chapters, but also of hard work, immaculate strategy, and relentlessness paying off. I hope you guys love them as much as I do. There were so many surprises, even more pearls of wisdom. This is an absolute banger. Girls. Welcome to CZA. I'm so excited to have you.
Speaker 2: They're so excited to be here. Good morning.
Speaker 1: I am a very very big fan of everything you guys have done, everything you're doing. We have actually week by the time this comes out, we will have spent some time together for a very exciting event that I will ask you about. But my favorite thing about this show, and how lucky I am to get to spend time with you, is going through all the stuff that doesn't make social media or the media or podcasts like I've gone into the deep dark depths of the Internet to research you guys, and there's so much on twenty eleven with Melbourne stylists onwards, then Bianchor and Bridget, then Booby Tape, the rebrand. That's all so well covered. But Mildura Boarding School your first jobs, you know, forcing Bridget to finish you twelve, Like I read that Bridget got a letter sent home saying that you missed fifty six days of year twelve. Like that's the stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks thanks for making that public. Where is that public? I know you've really done research. I don't know where, but that is fuctual. That is just called our parents.
Speaker 1: I've actually driven to Mildura did some groundwork. I'll come back and I feel like that is the stuff. Like it's incredibly inspiring where you are. But to people who haven't found their thing or haven't fallen into their their idea, or they're on their first idea like you guys have had multiple ideas. They see you with private jets, they see you with huge rebrands, and forget that you guys began in a country town, like wiping things with windecks for your parents in their real estate business, not knowing that you were going to be successful. And I'm sure you had many times where you were like, who are we going to become what's our purpose in life? Take us back to their very early days. Your first, your fourteen and nine month's job. You're like, what were you like as kids?
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah we had the fourteen and nine months job. Yeah, mine was a faster pasta oh way, yes, way, yes it was. What was yours? Mine? I was, you are underageing.
Speaker 3: I was actually younger than fourteen nine months because I was just like, so my dad's friend had a I was like, when shopping centers as go karts like little kids' activities, but I need someone to work, and he goes it's five bucks an hour.
Speaker 2: I'm like every rich. So I was every school holidays. I was very young, but we're both but I was very told, so I looked old and anyway I am. Yeah we were. That was my very first job, and that first job, I took it so seriously. I made him write me a reference on his letter job.
Speaker 3: I still have it somewhere, and I used it because I was so like, I'm like, I'm going to get more jobs. I need to show that I'm a good worker. So I had that attitude from a thirteen year old. So the fact that I had a job paying whatever minimal wage was back then, and then I used that, you know, let it to get a reference because I took my career seriously.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'll we're working in the real estate from like birth really literally birth.
Speaker 1: We came out of the womb and we were just like younger a Bridge Now, well, I think that's one of the things that was beautiful going back and reading is like I often think you don't know that the dots are connecting at the time, but when you look backwards, it all makes sense. And the one thing that's really consistent in your story is that your parents work ethic like an Italian immigrant grandparents moving to your parents on you know, in the real estate business and telling you that you could become whatever you wanted to be that as long as you're working hard, like you'll make it. That seems to have kind of stuck with you guys through multiple different chapters.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, give them so much credit. And there was many times where Bridge and I were like, why are our parents so harsh to us? Why are they so demanding? Why aren't they more generous? And now we know that everything they did has gotten us to the point that we're at and now we're like so great, and you know, you go through stages of children like what we have to say, and you're like, oh, like my parents hate us, Like it's like why do they do this? It's like and now I'm like, I think I'll actually be worse, yeah than my parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you appreciate it now? Like, yeah, I totally get why they did everything they did. That's made us the humans that we are. We're tough, we're resilience. So many people ask us for advice with their children. I said, Britain and I are the perfect examples of don't spoil your child too much.
Speaker 3: Obviously, by our nature we want to do that for our children, but it is incredibly detrimental, and you need to teach your child work and reward.
Speaker 2: They need to work and reward the value of a dollar. I think that's so important.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing as well that has come out sort of in the last couple of years is that there's a huge emphasis on education, which is obviously so important, but sometimes maybe too much on the fact that you need a university degree and you need to study in the thing that you end up in. But then there are so many success stories of people who start off in one degree and change, or they don't necessarily finish school and they still go on to do something incredible, or they swap careers halfway through. Like I think the days of that conventional traditional pathway are slowly ending in a really exciting way. So when you guys were at, you know, in your school years, boarding school, those first jobs, deciding who you wanted to be, what did you did you think that you would go into business then or did you have like a different idea of what your future would look like?
Speaker 2: Maybe you did, because I don't know if you want to, like I hate saying this, but if you want to say, like like this, Bianca was always smart and I wasn't the smart one. This is a good example. Yeah, it's great. It's a great it's a great example. So I for me, I'm like, I've always had that hustliness. For me, it was non negotiable. I was going to have my own business one day. A junker was on a law degree. Part So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I was raised in a traditional going to university was not going was not an option, and you become a lawyer, Like I became a lawyer because that was what was expected, and a lawyer it is such a respectable job, and my parents.
Speaker 2: Was super happy. And I'm like, okay, like did I just do this degree for everyone else? Or like, did I do it for me? And do I walk into the office and love what I do? No, I don't.
Speaker 3: Getting migraines every day and reading contracts. This is not enjoyable and I'm getting paid peanuts.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, this is not what I thought life was about. Bridget knew. She always knew she'd have some type of a business. We both did, but we had no idea what it would be like. We never thought where our business orientated. We never thought we'd be in fashion. And I never thought that business that has forkliffs. Now, No, I think fashion. Sorry, I think you're wrong. I think fashion. We always knew we want to do. It was the beauty we never thought would be in. Yeah, like a beauty hack. We loved fashion, but I still didn't see myself when I was little with like fashion designer.
Speaker 3: No, because I just I loved it so much, but I thought it was like really unattainable.
Speaker 2: Thought, oh no, I can't enter this space. So and I do agree with that whole stigma, Like even our parents. It's like it's weird. Our parents are a bit of both because I always pushed us to own our own businesses, and you can achieve anything. It doesn't matter you're end to score, it doesn't matter you're this. But at the same time, young is a lawyer, and dad's like, you're going to stop doing law to sell clothes, Like it's just like the whole state. My grandma, I don't know, was crying, Yeah, do you understand that you're a lawyer. We're very proud. I said, Oh, I think I can do something more. And my family were just so old fashioned and they just so yeah, I think it is important that you can do anything and bridge and we backed ourselves definitely. Yeah, no one else did. Yeah, we've completely backed our selves.
Speaker 1: Which is absolutely incredible because I think it's already it's already hard enough even if you do have family support, even if people are telling you you can be whoever you want and do whatever you want. But if you're actually like facing people telling you they're disappointed in what you're doing, that's like so much more difficult to have the resolve internally to like keep going.
Speaker 2: I think when your immigrants like us.
Speaker 3: Our family come from the most humble, poorous beginnings in Italy. They came to Australia, came to give us a good life. So they're like, you're educated, you're smart enough, and it's become a doctor or a lawyer.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Those two jobs are.
Speaker 3: Just so prestige that and it's like considered, like you've made it, but you really.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, but it is not the beal and end all. There's many there are other ways to define success. Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I walk into work every day and we love what we do, maniacs and we're in our pink little office.
Speaker 2: What the most beautiful thing, come to work dressed like this. This is the real US, where just no makeup on, just raw working and we love what we do. And I didn't know what that was like. Everyone used to always say, oh, if you love what you do, you won't work a day at all. Now we know what that's like, and we don't mind working so hard because we enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, one hundred percent understand. I was a lawyer as well, and had that big moment of like this is ticking like all the boxes, but like I didn't even think that there could be other boxes, Like I didn't never ask myself do I like this? Is this the best use of my skills? But what's really hard is when people listening, they're often in that early stage where they've got a solid career. It it's financial stability, it's prestigious or like you know it just it's got certainty, it's got stability, and you sort of don't often look for anything else if all your needs are met. Some people don't, like you said, you don't even think that something's accessible to you. You don't think you could become that and coming from you Bianca with a law degree and Bridget with graphic design, the logical next step is not like fashion business or beauty business. It's not like the training that you think you know that's necessarily going to be your next step. So there's a lot of self doubt there of like, well, I'm not qualified, I don't know what I'm doing. How do I even do this? And I don't think most people would look at you now and think that you guys started making like thirteen dollars an hour on the first step of your staircase to get to where you are now. So how did you actually decide one day these are not the pathways we want to be on, and then actually take that step because it's so scary and so foreign.
Speaker 3: I got fired, actually, I said the law. I was working, and I come home.
Speaker 2: I said that my personality is like I am not and I didn't get fired due to any of my work. It was just I've got a big personality and that's not for like, not for everyone. So I come home, I said, I'm I'm going to sit here.
Speaker 3: Bridget, I go, I'm not working for anyone like ever again Bridget had a job. I'm like clul Broke, I go, don't quit your job, because you got to look after both of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I kept going. I don't know, remember I kept So we launched the first piece in January at the Portsipolo, and then I think you got fired, like not long after that, and instead of looking for a new job, you're like, I'm doing this one hundred percent because we were trying to do both. She's like, you stay at your job in case this fails, and I'm so I'm staying there trying. How much money we're making sixty grand? Sixty grand? Back then, I thought I was a millionaire. I was like, I was like this, and I think she was on like fifty years. I was a Yeah, I was on fifty eight. Yeah, fifty and I was sixty five and I was a graphic designer and she was a lawyer. I have had a UNI for five years, no worries she's making and the.
Speaker 1: Same I left on sixty eight after five years, five years.
Speaker 2: That makes me angry. Yeah, that's the thing. My entry level girls are on more than that here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I figured out per hour like coals or Mackers would have been about the same, which is fine if you love it, like that's some people's absolute joy. And I think what I try and show on the podcast is that everyone has a combination of factors in their life that makes them happy or fulfilled or whatever it is, successful, happiness, fulfillment, whatever that perfect combination of stuff is. But it's not meant to look the same for everyone. So there are people who being a lawyer or being in a job with certainty instability is exactly the conditions they need to have a happy life. But then there are people who accidentally end up in that and have to realize actually, you're allowed to like not love something that other people love. We don't all have to like the same thing.
Speaker 2: The biggest skill strength of and I have we're really honest and brutally honest.
Speaker 3: So if we are not happy, you know, we're not happy. And we said, like we if we don't want to live our lives in a certain way, then we know we have to take actions to like change that world. So a lot of people become complacent, They get used to the team.
Speaker 2: Or they think, like the biggest thing that Dad's always said, they think someone's coming to save them or something.
Speaker 3: They think that there's magically going to be a million dollars waiting for you, Like there's.
Speaker 2: Not You've got to make that, or a man's going to come and change your life, or it's like you have to fix your own life. No one's going to come and do it. If you get someone that comes in as a bonus, that's a bonus. But what if they leave you in five years? You need to have do you You know.
Speaker 1: What the other thing I think is is that some people don't even know. So I don't worry about people who are really unhappy in their job, because like you said, they'll get really honest one day, it'll get bad enough and they'll be like, fuck this, I'm leaving. I worry about people who are fine because they're like it's fine, like it pays well. Yeah, yeah, I'm not happy, but I'm not unhappy because you'll sit in that complacency for like fifty years and then one day you'll be like is that all there is? Like did I really use my whole life on that? And they it probably won't get too bad for them to jump. So they're the people that I want to hear this and go it doesn't have to be bad for you to want something else.
Speaker 2: Absolutely rare, and I think that's like my graphic designtop like it.
Speaker 1: Was fine, yeah, fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, young cre and I are very And when I meet people like this, I tell them, I'm like, you're so gray, like we are red. We are like if I love it, I love it, and if I hate it, I hate it, like there's no like, there's no fine, like it's it's one or the other.
Speaker 3: It's like fine for me is not if I say I'm fine, that's not okay.
Speaker 1: I've never yeah, but I love that. I love that because I think the majority of people who aren't finding that fire that they like they look at you and they go those girls are so passionate that people who wish they had a passion are are great. They're fine.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people don't realize as well. Like with me, everyone's like, now we get it all the time, We're killing it, we're killing it, blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: It's like, I'm thirty nine, and like I until thirty, I would have considered myself and I tried, not really knowing what you were doing, and I didn't have a clear path of what I was doing, so I tried. I was in real estate first, then became a lawyer, then had like my business on the side, Melbourne stylists. So I was trying, but I didn't find Like I'm saying, it takes time.
Speaker 2: You don't just know what you're going to do. Think one of the biggest things that I see myself, not everyone, I see everyone, but I see a lot myself is everyone wants it now and they think it's going to happen now, and it doesn't happen now, they give up, and I'm like, well, you've changed things like five times. If you just stuck at the one thing and did it well and don't like it's not going to happen now. Like like you said, people look at us like you just said, They're like, you're killing it. I'm like, yeah, but we've been doing this for like twelve years. Do you understand that we're not We still don't feel like we're not delusional, Like this could all turn around and crumble tomorrow, and that's fine. I will accept that and if it does, I will it again. Like I'm not scared of failure. So people are like, but what if I said, I'm what if I going, well, we go back to zero, we started to start again, what do you do? This is what every business person has, ups and downs. It's normal. I'm not scared. People are scared, and being scared is a huge factor in what we do. Every day is gambling. We professionally gamble and we roll the dice. We're like, if we were scared, we wouldn't have a business because like the nights that we do, you're not going to lie. We go to bed sick. I'm like, oh my gosh, what have we've done? But you can't. You either stay at zero do nothing, or you have to go through this and it's not for everyone. It's definitely not like I said, everyone's happiness.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, I love those soundbites so much because they are the definition of what I try to get across that, Like, yes, it's incredible that there are so many articles and podcasts that are focusing on like the fact that you guys have had, you know, met so many famous people, and like the disputes with Kim Kardashian and like, I definitely want to talk about that, but it's your story starts there, and I'm like, guys, that's not the start of where they began finding how they ended up here, like it started with. It's a false starts, or not even false starts, just smaller starts. And the quote that I always come back to is like you don't have to see the whole staircase to take the first step, Like you didn't start Melbourne stylists going, well, it's worth it to make two hundred dollars and you know that comes down to thirteen dollars an hour. That's worth it because we'll be multimillionaires one day. Like you didn't know that you don't have that guarantee.
Speaker 2: We never knew.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think of it. Those businesses. Melbourne Stylists was not a let's retire, it's a let's survive. That's no bridge. We were just we were surviving because we had a lot of a lot of perks and a lot of benefits that back then. If we've got a free blow dry or that's that helped our lifestyle a lot. So that was definitely survival. But there's so many things that people don't know about us that I used to stand on lig On Street.
Speaker 2: Then I would be like, because I love sales and I like to fill up a restaurant full of people, and I'm like, yes, I got a table of five, you get a free garlic bread with.
Speaker 3: Your table, and then there's a table of fifty and I could give away a body of wind.
Speaker 2: I still do that. So you say you used to have people, I know, if you rememberly On Street, I'd be.
Speaker 1: Like, coming to our rest I still do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was younger. I got to think we should go and like negotiate, what do you want to offer us?
Speaker 1: No, you should recruit there, you should scale her sales abilities are amazing.
Speaker 2: And I used to fill up a restaurant and like I said, back then, I used to make and here like two or three hundred dollars a night. She is a lot, and I would work two nights Friday and Saturday, six hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: Mind you, I'm in the real estate. My first job is twenty five thousand dollars a year. I said to my dad, who's like the king of real estate, like the most expert person in that field. I said, Dad, I'm getting paid twenty five thousand dollars. Do you think I should go back and negotiate my wage? And he's like, why would you negotiate when you're not skilled, you're not experienced, you're worth nothing. He said, why don't you work, become, make your boss some money, and then negotiate.
Speaker 2: He goes, you have nothing to negotiate with. You're worth what someone wants to pay you.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, honesty runs in the family. Then oh yeah, no.
Speaker 2: Brutal, brutal. Our parents are. They're they're the best, but their brutal.
Speaker 3: And then he's like, and you will. If you start at nine, you'll get to work at eight thirty. And if you finish at five, you'll finish at five thirty.
Speaker 2: Like that's how we've been raised. So we have this work ethic that is, like, it doesn't it's not that common our work ethic. We look at other people like yeah, nine to five, and it's like run out the door.
Speaker 1: But then everyone everyone.
Speaker 3: Wants to pay rise, but they don't want to say why why would you? And there's the biggest thing to people, right if you want to pay rise, show your boss why you need to pay rise?
Speaker 2: Why does your boss? What value do you bring to your boss? And that's how we've been raised. So this is why we work so hard. We worked too hard. We did hours and hours and hours overtime. Whatever I want, I don't like, look where it's gotten us today. At least this is like you can and you can clearly see. I know I feel like sounds our rude, but you can clearly see the difference of people who work out and people who don't. It's just as simple as that. Like you know, you're awarded when you work, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And I love that that shines through with you guys, like you can see you didn't make it here by accident. Like I'm sure there's lots I think people do ascribe too much of their success to luck, Like it's a way of sort of deft, right, But I love this because I feel like the Australian landscape is so tall, poppy infused that it's sort of like you have to make it look like an accident to be like humble and show your humility. But I think with you guys, it's like you clearly just worked so hard, but sometimes only focusing on the chapters now skates over those chapters for you guys. So what I would love to know is if you went back and were talking to someone who's in those earlier stages and they have your work ethic and they have really good ideas. The gap for a lot of people, I think is the fear. It's not that they won't do the work or that they haven't figured out there's a gap in the market and done their research. It's the step is like what if it fails. I am poor, I am broke, I am investing my own only two grand in this, and I am putting all my eggs in one basket. I think fear, self doubt, imposter syndrome. They didn't study in it, they don't know the industry. It's you know, like especially women going into like business when they're at pitching to boardrooms, like it's that's getting better, but there's so many reasons why it couldn't work out. How did you guys in those earlier days when you didn't have the back and you do now, how did you get through that? Was it having each other?
Speaker 2: Bridge? I think each other has been amazing. Yeah, but we were always sensible and strategic. We definitely do We didn't take we calculated. Yeah, we do a lot of consulting and that's now Bridge. But no, Now, now I'm just saying. So I'm saying because I see people and I'm like, because we never want anyone to do something stupid or to lose their money, and we hate that. So we see a lot of people and I'm overly comf I'm like, but have you worked out your figures? You actually can't make that back? Like you do need to be smart and you need to always I always work out worst case scenario. Like people come to us with a product, for example, they want to sell this for twenty dollars right, and they're like, we want to be in chemist ware? How does want to be in Maya? David Jones all these calls like you and I said, all right, so have you already taken off probably seventy percent, and they're like, oh, but it's costing me ten dollars. I said, well, you can't launch to begin with because there's not enough margin in it. Like people they've got like sorry, like one hundred dollars products and they're like, I want to be in chemists ware housing allso like do you ever see hundred dollar products in chemist ware house? WI works it like you've got to you like, you do have to be smart. It's like we don't every advise people making silly decisions. You've got to do your research, which is just common sense.
Speaker 3: And then a lot of people the biggest detrimental problem people can have in business, which Bridge and I excel at these is people thinking that they know you know it all. If we don't know something, we admit that, we acknowledge that and we go and seek help. We come to so many people and they're like, they think that they know it all, and that's a really bad attitude to have.
Speaker 2: Even as far as we into the business, we constantly seeking advice, constantly seeking how even always advice. And also I think the biggest biggest thing that I see is everyone and I don't know why they think they're going to launch these products, and for some reason, when they launch, they think that everyone in the world is going to get a notification that they launch. And I'm like, I don't understand it. I don't get it. Why do you choose that? Like, say I just did a baby product. Let's just say, how are you going to know that I've just launched a baby product. You're not going to not to buy it? Like marketing, marketing. Marketing is key. People don't know. And then they're like, well, how much marketing forever until you die?
Speaker 1: You m for the rest of ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you still see Apple, McDonald's, Coca Cola. And then people will go and spend like, you know, say thirty grand on a website and I'm like, ro Shoper five like two hundred dollars, Like.
Speaker 1: I mean, people don't spend like seven grand on a photo shoot, and then their sister will absolutely crack the shits over it.
Speaker 2: Done everything, So website is different. Photo shoot is my photo shoot is justified, and that seven grand was the best seven grand. When you are an A plus plus, you know no one was going into this with a lawyer. But anyway, two lawyers, God Yeah, that's a good example of the seven grand So what we always something? Okay, so with the photo shoot. When we launched booby Tape, we cut back on everything but one thing that we wanted to And we say it to all of our consulting clients or whoever always launched, like you are already a billion dollar company, because don't. I don't want to see iPhone shots on your website as your product shots. I don't want to see some people just launch. It's like, so when we launched booby Tape, one of the biggest compliments we had, we had a few people even like when the Harold Son interviewed us, They're like, oh, so have you bought the rights from America for this? And it's like because it looked so established, they didn't know that we were on our kitchen table packing. It's like, no, we did not buy the rights this is but it looked like a premium product.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's because you designed the logo, gal, I mean.
Speaker 2: You've really done your research. I'm shore, I don't think anyone's knowing this much about us going into a podcast. No, that's good.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because it's such a privilege to be able to share the parts that I feel like more like if someone has a fire in their belly and they're just on the precipice of doing something for themselves, but they're scared. Like here, seeing the sort of endgame is more intimidating than hearing about you guys at this earlier stage. I think it's so exciting to hear all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think going back to your question, like for anyone who's listening, you just need to have always like a worst case scenario and make sure you can get out of that worst case scenario. Like for example, when younger and I started to throw them out, just we I feel like we first took out sixty anyway, ended up at like one hundred thousand dollars to launch Bunker and Bridget, which was a lot, Like we didn't have that. And you always ask like your business is going to fail, Not to be negative, but should this fail. So we just made a plan. We're going to do it for the first year. If we don't at least break even or something happens, it's fifty to fifty each we pay fifty to pay back the bank. Yeah, it's going to take us five years and that's our escape plan, and that was it. Like we always had a worst case scenario.
Speaker 3: So then you know, going forward, if shit hits the ground, then this is our worst case scenario. And we really we were like we're okay to gamble fifty grand each for five years.
Speaker 2: That's a risk we're willing to. We can't spend more than that, like unless somebody's coming back in like it's it. So we took the gamble. Luckily like it's you know, worked, but you know it was very we did our research.
Speaker 1: I think people listening would be surprised to hear how much of the numbers you had already worked. Like it looks like a happy accident. It looks like it went viral. It looks like you had beautiful aesthetics, big photo shoots, and that you took a risk kind of like just put some money in and then it went viral and like bang. But you'd obviously thought through every scenario in such a detailed way. Has that been something that's recurred. I think when you're beautifully presented, and when you're young women, and when you're in an industry that is beauty and aesthetics, it's so easy to be underestimated, Like it is so easy to say absolutely you are the picture of natural beauty. Have you found along the way that people have just assumed that it was an accident and that have underestimated you along the way because you turn up in like pretty clothes and.
Speaker 2: You get lucky all the Oh your dad, your dad funded your business. I feel like that was a lot of the start that stopped now because I think I think we're so yeah, proven and so established. But we spent a lot of time talking about it. Yeah, like we took a loan. It wasn't now parents and not give us some money, like it's all being done and we knew if we didn't get that hundred k back, we're splitting it and we're paying it off over the years, you know, which I think too is also like again this goes back to the parents. U's been like because our parents like they are in a position where they could help us, but it's like and we're like they could, like why can't you help us? But now I get it because if I I was given the money, I still know we would have worked hard. But still it's different when you take out the loan yourself. You need to make this money back, like it's no jokes. I get it, and I will do the same to my children.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So when people do sort of use the word luck or like happy accident, and I think sometimes they are, like our business was definitely an actual happy accident, Like we actually stumbled upon a product that we bought too much of and then it accidentally sold because people were talking about it was very timing based for you guys. If it wasn't luck, what was it?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: The tenacity and the planning? What is it?
Speaker 3: As it continues to go and realize our story started, everyone looks at us now, like the average person on the street wouldn't know that we had Melbourne stylists.
Speaker 2: We started a Melbourne stylists. We were building connections. Through the connections, we built an Instagram following. Through the Instagram following, we had an audience. Through an audience, we had customers sitting there.
Speaker 3: I feel sorry for anyone trying to get into business now that this is why it's been. I'm not going to say easier for us because we worked for that. We didn't just we worked for free on these celebrities.
Speaker 2: Correct, I agree what you're saying, but I will correct you in a minute. Yeah, sure, but I will tell you off no, no, But I'm like something to say. I think that, like so we're not like lucky.
Speaker 3: But if you were to start a business as an absolute no followers, no Instagram, you have no connections to any type of celebrities influencers, it's hard.
Speaker 2: But this is where I correct you correct me because I've seen a lot of people. I won't mention names. Big celebrities are a lot bigger than us to launch businesses and where are they because they do they've got the following, they've got the di's that's taken for granted, and they assume that it's going to take off. They don't have they don't have the work power.
Speaker 3: Put it this way, there's certain elements you need to be successful. Whilst what I mentioned was okay, having the contacts is great, that is what Bridget's saying. That is not the big on end all. You need to work a product doesn't sell itself.
Speaker 2: The thing is when we were doing Melbourne Style, we did as I said. We had the audience there that and they were there trusting our style because what we were dressing, you know, our celebrities in that was then selling that dress was on selling. So like, our customer obviously likes our style, they like what we're doing, but the dresses we're creating a like thirty thousand dollars red carpet, so we need to do this at a price it's affordable for all of our customers.
Speaker 1: You've done that, and you've continued to do that so incredibly, and I'm so excited because the rebrand is the next iteration of that. What I think also happens, like we mentioned before, is when you do build something and it's working really well, it's really easy to get complacent. In that next chapter, you're kind of like, we took a gamble, it worked, Let's pat ourselves on the back for the next ten years and not ever keep evolving. Like I think, there's this idea that you find your passion, you leave your job, you start a business, it goes well, and then you just sail on into the distance, and that's like it forever. You never have to reinvent, you never have to keep up with how fast the world is moving. But I think when you get into business, you're pretty much accepting that you'll never be able to see still, you'll never just chill you'll never just know that things are going to be guaranteed, you'll be working for the rest of ever. So when do you guys know that it's time for a rebrand? Like everything's working well, Why would you change something? Why would you delete your entire Instagram? How do you know that it's like time for something new?
Speaker 3: The rebrand is something that is so so once again, if anyone follows Bridget and I personally, Bridge and I are avid fashion lovers.
Speaker 2: We started the label.
Speaker 3: We wanted to bring you an incredible product. As you evolve as a fashion designer, you're only as good as the quality of your product. So we have done extensive research. Our job is to bring our consumers the highest quality garment we can produce.
Speaker 2: We have now found the most incredible partners.
Speaker 3: The good news is is this costing us a lot more money? Absolutely, we're doubling our costs. We love our consumers so much and we want to disrupt the fashion industry in Australia. When not passing that cost onto our consumers, we're bearing that the benefit for us. Let's hope we sell some more dresses, right. We want to deliver to you the highest quality product at the best price, So we.
Speaker 2: Want what we want. We want quality clothes that are affordable. It's as simple as that. Yeah, Like I'm really sick, Like because I'm a suit person, I'm like, every time I need to buy a new blazer twelve hundred and fifteen hundred dollars, like it's ridiculous, Like, why aren't our blazers like this? So we've done it the one way.
Speaker 3: Again, the businesses evolved from a struggle that we've had personally. That's why we're so passionate and we're like, we're sick of and in this economy, right, who wants to be spending I'm not spending one thousand and two thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: On an outfit, It's outrageous. Let's be real. With Instagram, we get some photos and then we don't really wear them. Again, this is the new reality.
Speaker 3: So we want to have gorgeous, fun, bespoke dresses that are affordable. So that's how we've evolved as humans, and everything that we evolve with is we're passing on to our consumer. So therefore the rebrand is here.
Speaker 2: We kind of don't do anything that we wouldn't want ourselves, from the packaging to the note everything is a.
Speaker 3: Personal touch that Bridget Knight wanting there the photo shoot. We can't wait to show you guys the campaign. So then we okay, we knew that this was going to be such a big deal and we can't wait for you to see the rebrand.
Speaker 2: Who's going to be the face of the rebrand? What better than an Australian muse Rebecca Judd. So, mister Rebecca Judd, who is divine to work with. We adore her.
Speaker 3: She's been the face and the inspirations behind our campaign and we did something really special Bridget and I. It was a credit flu to Paris with Rebecca and miss Lana Wilkinson, who's the celebrity stylist to the stars, and we created something that we think is truly magical.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it is truly magical. I think I ran into Lance like the night before she was leaving and she was like, I'm not really first to tell you about this, but what are you doing? She was like, I'm going to Paris tomorrow. Oh my god. And the assets, the shoot, the dresses, they look extraordinary and again at a price point that you just don't think could be possible for the quality for the for the how quickly you guys innovate in the style as well, Like often something that's really topical and current, you just can't get it at a good price, or something that's that isn't like anything that everyone else has, like you guys have Just like you said, you've disrupted the market, and you've also disrupted a second market in booby tape. So my next question is, like how do you keep Like we're all distracted with too many tabs open in our brain, but most of our tabs aren't multimillion dollar businesses. You guys have two that are doing huge things all at once, and there's you obviously have a team, but there's two of you who are actually making like the decisions, the strategic decisions, the dealing with like people don't think about this, but you're dealing with the highs. But you're also dealing with the lows, which are like lawsuits because trademarks, because like shit is happening all the time. How do you guys do that? And as sisters as well, like how do you be business partners as sisters with everything? Sort of there's so much cross pollination in a good way, but I guess a hard way probably as well.
Speaker 2: Well. I know everyone's different, but I feel like we're really lucky to have each other. I know all sisters are that's that word again. We are lucky to have each other. All sisters aren't the same, but it is. It's fantastic having one other. Don't get me wrong. We fight like every day, like sure, like you.
Speaker 1: Know the start of this episode.
Speaker 2: Fight, it's that strong conversation. We're both strong people like this. I'm like, no, absolutely not, Like it's there's no pushover. Who came it's a World War five. You can't really do that with a friend either. So I think that we are lucky to have each other. I've been saying that, like you know, last year, I was sick and we were going to India like in a few days and I had to have like emergency surgery. I know you can handle it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, very insist, which is really just want a highlight because I'm hearing so much about ovaries that we didn't know, and itcurs was really dangerous and could have burst and she would have died.
Speaker 2: So I just want to remind you over if we can say anything, get your overage checks because I was so under talked about it. I'm like thirty two, the first time I've ever and it's only an accidental fine because I had like extort hips, I didn't MR and they're like, well, you've got this massive cyst. And it's like, oh, like you don't have hip problems, Bridget, You're thirty until it burst and maybe almost killed me. So it's like, no one felt so bad. She had an MRI back and she goes, what do you think this?
Speaker 3: This thing was so big? I go, I think that's your hip socket and I'm like I'm like no, but I'm like it's highlighted. You know, they send you your scan, so I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I send it to Bridget before No, but it's highlights.
Speaker 3: So we're just like, I go, surely a lump that big would be like you know, like it was like they did a cross.
Speaker 2: Section and they measure it. Yeah, anyway, whatever, She's fine. We're grateful, benign, but it was it was scary but insane that I'm just saying, no one. I don't know why, but no one, my parents or doctors or GPS or anyone's ever told me to get my overyes check. Well, I've never been here like it's not really get your overtracked women.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, absolutely, I think there is actually a big o CRF campaign going on at the moment, need to get yeah, reminding people that it's you. Just you don't think about it and you don't think about your routine checks until something happens and then it's sort of like how did I wait this long? But that's the other thing with you guys. You are such hard workers that on the flip side, there is so much going on. You love what you do. You don't really have an incentive to slow down because like you don't hate your work. Most people like take breaks because they don't like working, but you guys love it and it pays off, like it show you there's direct results when you guys are there, and there's probably a directive when you're not so.
Speaker 2: Really clear goal, really clear visions and we're not going to stop until we get it, you know why. It's like we're all put on this earth. It's like do you want to live or like do you want to exist? And like we want to live and we want to create a difference and we want to do something. I never wanted to be normal. I never want to be me. I want to do something. But you know what, it's funny saying that everyone's happiness and everyone is different. I actually have figured out recently that I actually am very like say the we're depressed when I'm not doing anything, when I'm not achieving something, when there's not the next thing have. I need to keep moving. That's what a driven person. But that's us, that's us. Everyone's different. Some people that stresses out, that overwhelms them, it's too much. But for us, we need to have the next goal. We need to keep moving. And I are the masters of getting things done now, like when you're efficient. Like some people will come to us in consulting and like unker Bridget.
Speaker 3: Been working on a business plan for two years and we're like why, Like like what you like?
Speaker 2: You don't even know if your business is going to work? You're just wasting to get something started. Get it going. Also not to finishing to perfection. We find people they're like, oh, the website's just not right to launch, and like no one's going to notice if the font is not the right you know, like it's okay, just get it up. See if you're productive and stuff.
Speaker 1: Totally like I love that I always say done is better than perfect, like you won't even know it might be perfect for the people who you're launching to. Well, like that you think is perject.
Speaker 3: Thing of that Who has done The best podcast I've ever listened to on that genre is Mark Zuckerberg when he started Facebook, and Zach was like, do you think Facebook was where it is today?
Speaker 2: When it started? It was a half asked done. He goes, Oh shit, people like it. I've got to be improven and proven as you're going you if you come up with a.
Speaker 3: Completely perfect product before you launch, you've spent too long on it.
Speaker 1: I also think that's such a good quote as well. But I also think if you don't look back at the first version of your product and cringe, then like you're doing it wrong. You're meant to hate all the earlier iterations because you're meant to have evolved like from that. It's what's perfect in each chapter will look really different. But what I want to ask you, guys, because it's such a like it's a buzzword and it's like annoying, but that whole work life balance thing, what I've learned is that we all have a different like the same as our joys are different, our cadence is different. So some people thrive on fast pace and it actually doesn't burn them out. Some people get overwhelmed. Like we all have different sized plates, so when you say my plate's full, some people's plate is like a tiny little saucer.
Speaker 2: Some people's plate is like really really good analogy.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's kind of helped me understand different people's thresholds and working in teams and understanding where all. Yeah, I just that helps me visually, like I am like a big buffet Bay Marie style plate, Like it takes a lot to get there, but like when it's full, it's full. But I do think that sometimes that tolerance for a lot means that you get to sort of the end of the year or like Bridget, you get to your wedding and you find like you've quarantined this time for your personal life and then suddenly things encroach, or you know, bi Anchor, you're at this stage where I read a lot about you doing IVF and you sort of saying like I'm going to do this. I froze my eggs, I'm going to do this on my own. Because sometimes it does lead to your personal life having sacrifices, which you're fine with most of the time, But does it ever get to the point where you do find the tension, like it does get frustrating or you do find it's hard to juggle kind of the things you want outside of work and the things you have in work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think definitely. Yeah, I feel like only recently though, don't you feel like that too. I feel like we've like I don't know, would you say, maybe like mid this year, it's like, know if we're getting older. Yeah, Like I do feel and it's like we're always so honest. I do feel like I actually haven't really been like noticing he can till me. This year, I feel like we'll both be burnt out. You were burnt out for the first time ever. I've never Bunker is like extremely does not stop. I'm good, but Bunker's like ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Like Marine style play had.
Speaker 3: A normal sense of the year, but like and when my play is full, like I'm like a sorceman.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like it's like gets full this year it was like it was it was. But Bunker's also the type that can never say no. She can never like trying to learn that she feels bad, and I'm like, but you can't, like when you're so exhausted, you have to learn to say no sometimes. So she is learning that, and I feel like it sounds like it's so recent, but these last few weeks, it's the first time I've seen you say no, and I've seen you you actually are switching off a little bit at night time.
Speaker 3: I'm annoying people and I'm trying, like, and I'm very like I respond to people.
Speaker 2: If I don't respond, it's because like there's something I actually.
Speaker 1: Don't want, like someone do a welfare check. Like she's not okay.
Speaker 2: I'm actually because I say no to my friends and they won't accept that. They're like come for an hour, like and I'm just like, I'm not just not going to things because I'm like I need some time out. So i'd find I work all week, I need a release, I need a social life. I'll go out on a Friday Saturday night.
Speaker 3: I'm exhausted again, I have no actual time off, so I need an actual night or.
Speaker 2: Two to recoup, which is like really my weekend, which I haven't been doing. Yeah, I think like I'm pushing I'm forty next year so I'm no spring chicken.
Speaker 1: You look like a spring chicken, babe, honestly, not to.
Speaker 2: Say, but anyway, this is I wanted to do. I was gonna go. I usually I'm like, this is the real me.
Speaker 3: This is like something come up this morning that I was delating and it interfered with my glam.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, this is what it is. You are glorious, And I do think it's important. Like for we're not good work life.
Speaker 3: I balance, I do, I believe in it, but we're not good examples of that.
Speaker 2: We're not. But recently we have tried, like for the first time ever, I'm like, oh my god, it is Friday afternoon, Like I'm actually going to switch off, like it's the weekend. Like we've never had weekends ever. Like just recently we're starting to. Yeah, we are a bit more.
Speaker 1: There are definitely chapters of your life and your business where like balance is not the goal of course, when you first start or when you know you're about to go through a rebrand, like that's not when you're going to go, let's just meditate for twenty five hours, like it's not there are more bridgid.
Speaker 2: Is not like I'm like I'm open to it, bridget I can't if I just sit there and close my eyes on starch. I took her to yoga one of my life. I'm like the one with my eye open looking at everyone else. Like for me, we want to be those people say I wait for but I don't look at my phone, and then I meditate for an hour and then I write in with maybe have agree, Maybe that'll be that's the next chapter of our lives. But it's not us right now. I do think like it is important, like hustle. You a hustle, like you really do if you want to get some you're not obsessed with what you do, you can't be successful. You need to live it. You need to breathe it. And if you're not doing that, like and especially how you can. We're not at the next chapter yet, but especially while you've got no kids, know nothing, like you know that time's going to come where you will need to obviously you know your life's changing. Yeah, and it's harder. It's like while you've got no kids and stuff, move, move, moved, do as much as you can until that happens. And then I'm single, I have no partner, so I come home to no one, So I just keep working. I've got like nothing else to do, so I just vision as a husband. I forget my poor husband. In an episode without a phone call from younger, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, she's the third whill I can feel this dynamic. I do find like we have this concept of plata, which is the idea that even if you love what you do, and maybe especially if you love what you do, you still need It doesn't need to be meditation or a green juice, but you still needs something that you do that's not productive, that's not about like towards the goals you have in business, that lets your brain just like decompress. Like if you don't get distanced, you get too far wrapped in it and you can't have fresh ideas and you don't have perspective. What other things that you guys do for just joy? Like it can be a shitty TV show, it can be anything, but something that makes you like, forget your to do list, forget what time it is.
Speaker 2: I love like like I like selling Sunset or I love it because I'm and I'm so, I'm like, this is the best thing ever. Like I'm sorry, Yeah, she's not. She doesn't do that selling sunset I love. I don't watch any reality time. I love cooking. I love all that stuff is therapeutic for bods. We do a lot of family catchups, and I feel like when we do, like with all the Uncus and everyone, I feel like when we do that, it's really like you're out of work zone. So we do do a lot of things like that. Yeah, a lot of our life revolves around the load. Love eating.
Speaker 1: I'm excited it's for our restaurant date for the rebrand.
Speaker 2: Us too, going to be very poison.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's also really hard when a lot of your work events look like play to a lot of people, so you kind of categorize that as downtime even though it's like, guys, we're working like this is a launch of a product.
Speaker 3: People don't they just rework And my dad still doesn't get it. Like we work in a way that it's like, no, don't thinks we're out for lunch with the girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like for me, I was like, my what I'm looking forward to next is Wednesday night. That's when I will.
Speaker 1: Relax when it's over, when it's relaxed.
Speaker 2: Time, or maybe when we're all sitting and eating like it's because you know, it's the build up. We've got to launch, like we really got to get the event ready, We've got to get it's all that. And I think probably when we all sit in eat, I'll be like, Okay, it's already, everyone's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's done.
Speaker 2: I've got sixty women for lunch, and sixty incredibly influential women and they're all wearing bunk and bridget yea.
Speaker 3: So just that in itself, organizing that, it's just yeah, and that's been a small part morning.
Speaker 2: Then there's a setup. If you know us, do we do anything basic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never seen a small scale ever.
Speaker 2: You create like our stuff like for example, like we have an amazing They keep coming up from these ideas and I laugh, I said, guys, I love them, but are you trying to create more work for yourself? I said for me, they're like, oh, but customized coffee cups would be so cute. I'm my god like pie. So everything that we do is it's very strategic, it's planned. We love everything looking on point, so like there is and you will see branding on every single aspect of something we do. Yes, we like making things look pretty. We want you to take a photo.
Speaker 3: We want you to but without like we don't ask people to do anything. It's like we want everyone to do hopefully. I know myself, if things look so cute, I'm just going to do it. So that's the thought, that's the marketing, the Bridget saying behind the madness.
Speaker 1: You'd have to pay me not to take photos like I would twitch if I couldn't take a photo on that day, Like I'd just be like ship. If you said phones away, I'd be like I can't come, Like I'll implode, I'll actually combust.
Speaker 3: Look, we don't want to say too much, but this is going to be a really unique, a very unique event.
Speaker 2: Very yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Put a lot of four into our events have to be different. Everyone knows a Bridget can throw an event and we're standard like it's stressful history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got to keep this now.
Speaker 2: To be like, ah, that's it, like nothing can fall down or nothing's going to stand or it's all going to happen.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we've got a custom build for the entire restaurant, Like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, well, by the time this comes out, guys, listening to the podcast, there will be visuals to accompany it, so you will be able to actually see what we're talking about, which is so exciting. So ah it will I know you, guys, I feel like you don't last, especially in such a competitive industry, and like I think we probably won't have time to go full into the Kim Kardashian thing. But guys, if there are lots of other podcasts and articles that have covered this, there is in a world like fashion, which is so fast moving, it's so saturated, there are copycats. And by copycats, we're talking people who have unlimited resources who can outlawyer you. They can out everything you. You guys are still around because you do that, your attention to detail, your loyalty, your relationships that you've built. I've read that half the celebrities you do stuff for you, it's not paid anymore because you have built that trust and loyalty so.
Speaker 2: For a long time, actually haven't paid anyone.
Speaker 1: Which is wild. Like you think about the currency that you have, Like there's the currency that isn't money that you have. That's the stuff that obviously helps you, guys, not just survive, but keep innovating and thriving. So I mean huge congratulations firstly on everything you've done and everything that you keep doing. It's just been like such an honor to be part of it. But I also wanted to finish with a couple of kind of like the more fun, fast fire questions. All three of us clearly love to talk. I don't think they'll be very fast, but just some like more top pointy questions looking back at the journey. What is between all the businesses, like the best or the highlight, Like, what's the best thing you've ever done that you've just been Like, no fucking shit, that did not happen.
Speaker 2: My whole life. Like I was walking in LA with like a really famous friend and like she was from Australia too, and I'm like I can't believe that where we come from, like what we're doing, Like my whole life is like wow, but there's so many things for me. It's been published in Forbes USA. That was like really So I grew up as a little girl. Our dad used to give us those like magazines to read in Australia was BRW and he's like learn it, study it, stuff, trends.
Speaker 3: What do people do back then? Because I'm so old. Everyone was only wealthy from property. It was mainly property, property, property.
Speaker 2: Now society is now you've got the tech billionaires. Like we're evolving so much, but there was that, you know, I woke up to like a major celebrity, like a text from a friend like this morning, and I'm like that's still like that's normal. Now we just people like read it or are posting and being like this is not paid, Like I genuinely love this product. I think going into like our first like you know, Chemist Warehouse wards, it's like, wow, we've actually made a product that he's on the shelves like and where we used to shop at Mayer and David Johns. Yeah, like it's all that style, its Wllworths. I feel like it still never feels real. It's very Billboards. What about Billboard? Yeah, Billboard's having one on Sunset Boulevard. That was Yeah, there's going to be some Billboards in Melbourne to the rebrand with Rebecca jurd In sink. I'm not sure when this is going live, So I'm not sure, but that's Monday.
Speaker 1: It will have gone live.
Speaker 2: There's a booby tape one up next week. So when you when you drive and you see your brand on a billboard. Yeah, this office, this office is actually that's massive. It is like it's like our dream office, like we and we said one day that we're going to do it, and we did. It's got like our glamor room. It's got a photography studio, it's got the warehouse, it's got the offices. Maybe you should tell them about our Cartier bracelet. Oh yeah, that's a pretty good. We always have loved. All we wanted was a Cartier Love bracelet. And we always had loved nice things, like always, always, always, but we can never afford it anywhere in our dreams, thought we would get never anyway, So we were like, you know, it's important to set goals for yourself. So we were like when young because that was our first business, We're like, when young Green Bridget turns over one million dollars, we are buying each other a Cartier Love bracelet. Anyway, and it was like, you know, the thin one was like the cheapest whatever one.
Speaker 1: We were entry level, but.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that, but yes, it was no, no, no, but it wasn't like the one I have now that's got diamonds yea, because it's a huge story. However evolved. Yeah. Anyway, so the cheapest one we could, we were sitting with ourselves, finey little warehouse, like tiny little warehouse in Oakley. Actual fact it was a storage unit, which we actually bought, by the way, yeah we did, but we worked out of a story unit. But yeah, anyway, so we were sitting there working and I think looks up and it was like one point four million. Because we were in such hustle rode, we didn't even I was.
Speaker 1: Like, you didn't know, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I was like it's one point four millions. Looked every day like we didn't know. Anyway, So then and we were dressed like this. Yeah, we were like in our track is we're like now now we got in the car drove stricken to Chad's tune and then that was the first time we had that sales and that sales assistant still today she's still like, can we buy a cartooner? Love Racelet I love that. I'd had a fall. I looked like she has been punched, like knocked out, like the most anyway, we went sophisticated person. We went in there and we were like, we need a cartailer racelet each one. She's like, yeah, like, yep, we'll take them. We're dressed like the biggest bogan.
Speaker 1: That's a flex.
Speaker 2: Though we went in there were going to Cartier Love Racelest she knew who we were, yes, she did. At that point we're like, there's no way, you've got to know who we are dressed. And then like I remember every time I see her and we buy a new piece, I'm like, you know, I don't know if we'll see you again after this, and she's like, and then we get the name, we button the nail and we.
Speaker 1: Keep yeah, You're like, no, we'll keep coming back.
Speaker 2: So then and then we went anyway.
Speaker 3: So the point being, I think that's really important is you've got to have goals. And for us, we were just young girls who back then just all we wanted was a card.
Speaker 2: We could never even dream that we would. We're just like, we don't know how women affording these bracelets. They're so expensive.
Speaker 3: But we felt that we'd really earned one once we'd made and that's all we did. So we made one point four million and I think it was six grand each, and we felt like our.
Speaker 2: Mentality was guilty, and our dad was like what we used to lie to out Dad a lot because so it was like, is that a new bag? I'm like, Dad, you'd be so proud of me. I got on an.
Speaker 1: eBay's sakes, Yeah, I got it in Bali.
Speaker 2: It's making like fake things. I go but and he goes smart girls, smart Chanelle?
Speaker 1: Really, what about looking back the hardest moment or like the lowest moment? Was it COVID when everything kind of slowed down? Was it like, did you guys ever have a falling out? Or was it a fuck up where you guys were like we totally like nearly derailed ourselves. Have you ever nearly closed your doors? Like what was the lowest moment?
Speaker 3: Touch would no, No, But it's like it's it's gambling, very stressful times.
Speaker 2: Very people owe us a lot of money. Yeah, and you just decided not to pay us, Which it's not that you closed doors, but it's really stuff up your dice of who you own money When it's millions, it's stressful and then people think they just can't pay you. That was because you're a woman, that was it.
Speaker 1: You can afford it.
Speaker 2: We have a lack of respect. Being woman in business is incredibly hard and people. I don't care what anyone says we're the biggest female advocate. It's women are not respected in business. They had taken advantage of.
Speaker 3: And I feel like if we had a male presence in this business, it'd be so much more advantageous.
Speaker 2: I do feel like it would be yeah, which is unfortunate, but I do feel like if there was a man with us in the room, a lot of the times, it would be different conversation, which is not great. And we are really strong people, whether international deals, and I've always really honest, I've never painted it's all for better and better and better, Like I worked on this deal in a major country overseas for ten months. I've probably spent one hundred hours on this deal. They were ready, we signed the contract to place the order, and then they said, due to the current financial climate right now, we actually have decided to just focus on skincare and cosmetics. So people are still not understand that was two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: That was not long ago, and that was crushing a multier million dollar day.
Speaker 2: And this is the other thing too, because I have a lot of people friends that have businesses and they're so crushed when things don't happen, like it still happens, Like I still't think it doesn't happen to us, like it's going to will. That's what I like to talk about. It's like things happen, and business is hard. At the moment, Bridget and I are working three times as hard and you know, probably not making as much money as like other years because it is. It's tough times. The whole world is on standby. The good news is like America's had a rate cut.
Speaker 3: We can only hope that the rest of the world follows and that these times are due to break. Consumers need to confidence to start spending again. And yeah, every industry is affected that I know, everyone's hurting right now.
Speaker 1: See, no one hears that stuff. They only see. And you also don't hear about the stuff that didn't make it. You only see the rebrands or the projects that do make it. So that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: There's lots there's lots of deals gone wrong. This is not really like anything gone wrong, but there's major problems.
Speaker 3: Like I think it was like Woolworths calls one of the majors, Woolworths, they all what happened.
Speaker 2: They ordered their packaging all comepacked. Their packaging came wrong and it was like ten thousand we had to get more whatever it was ten thousand units and we sat with like, but we're not going to have an auto eight no, no, no, So we employed like eight people to sit there and I mean we all sat there with packaging.
Speaker 1: I love that you guys get in on it as well. Yeah, yeah, we do that.
Speaker 2: And this was our little locally factory to the little sit And there's the amount of lawsuits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I read that there's like seven or something at the moment.
Speaker 2: It's like constantly, constantly people are trying to steal our ip.
Speaker 3: They were stressed because it's like as a business, it's like I could write now, I could say, bridget we're spending five to ten million dollars on engaging. That's how much money we need to go and try and chase everyone. That's just people coffying us like it's wild.
Speaker 1: Which I love that I've read to you guys interpret you've learned to sort of see it as flattery, which it absolutely is, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a distraction.
Speaker 2: It is. It's definitely flattery. And what we're seeing more recently is people who were copying, they're actually they're not lasting. It's like people wipe the brand, they want the It's like what we've done, the values behind our business. The people that are copy us and it's absolutely everywhere, they're not lasting because people want the brand, they want the.
Speaker 1: Name, and we want you guys, Like it's so obvious when it's not you do you know what I mean? Yeah? I mean, guys, the nicest celeb you've ever worked with, nicest Yeah, I won't make you dish the dirt on the worst one, but the nicest one.
Speaker 2: Bed Judd is like one of the nicest humans I've ever met.
Speaker 1: She's generally such a legend to know.
Speaker 2: She really is, Like I've never known her personally till recently. I started as a business relationship. Yeah, I'm like and spending time in Paris with her, I'm like, no, you really are incredible, Like she's delight and I always mean she's beautiful, but then in life I'm like, no, you're actually ridiculously beautiful and beautiful inside and everything, and you're a mom of four, Like she's actually you know who was amazing to me? I was I was as actually as Rider or as sister's birthday in La and then we were doing she had yoga, so we're doing yoga mats and this standing woman just walks in late and puts her mat next to me and she goes, I'm so I'm late. My name's Edriana. And I'm like, oh, yeah, she's nice. Is that Adriana Lima? Stop? She is really nice. She is like so down to earth, so beautiful. Yeah, she's really nice. And these women, by the way, I didn't realize, like I'm tall, well, you know, I'm normal tall. I'm like one hundred and seventy BNK is like one hundred and seventy three, Like we're on the tallest Simsonian. I was got a photo next to Adriana Limo. I'm after her tit.
Speaker 1: You're like you can booby tape her like direct on just like perfect hid top of.
Speaker 2: My head's her nipples Like I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: They're like they are like those Amazon women. They're ridiculous, They're incredible. Starstruck when I saw her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you guys get starstruck anymore? Or are you kind of more used to the celebrity landscape? Is there anyone you want that you haven't got yet.
Speaker 2: Yes, Drake, what the hell are you date him? You don't want him from I've been at three then when three parties, Drake's Benner and don't have that you want? You just want to meet Drake. Yeah, she wants to date Drake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't specify you could date him. That's that could be the answer.
Speaker 2: I've been at three events and you've been in the same place.
Speaker 3: But he's in this private room and you never know till the next day that he's there, and I'm like, I'm so close.
Speaker 1: Rude, rude, next time. I believe in you.
Speaker 2: So many beautiful people along the way, and everyone's been incredible. Yeah, I feel like that. It's amazing. When we meet a celebrity. Someone will go, oh, this is the owner of booby tape, and then the celebrity is like, yeah, we know all about it, and I'm like, yeah, that's like a good moment all the time. Yeah, that's true. That is pinched me. Yeah. Who's the other Victorias teaking while we have that event? She was beautiful, Alessandra, Yeah, she was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Stop it.
Speaker 2: And they're all so nice. Oh my god. So you know what I feel like the bigger, the celebrity, the nice lay up and you get these sometimes little people it's like okay, calm down, sorry, bear is a vibe. Oh yeah, she's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's because they don't have to prove themselves. I think, like once they're that famous, like I'm just a person.
Speaker 3: So Alessandra Ambrosier obviously when you do deals for celebrity, like we pay for like like an hour just come get some photos. It's so expensive anyway, And then Alessandri's management.
Speaker 2: Was like, is it okay if she stays because she's actually having like the best time, and we're like, please stay with us, like and I forget. She wore neon like green, this versace. What's that material called like latex mesh latex. It was like plastic robbers. Yeah, and she looked like I thought Bea was going to be a diva, but she wasn't. Because remember she like requested all this I had to go buy her twenty Snickers bars for her book.
Speaker 1: I love that as a request.
Speaker 2: But when she asked for all this stuff and alcohol, and I was like, oh my god, it's gonna be a total drugs But she wasn't. She was bad. So let's say, do bea is really cool? No, she was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you guys have writers yet? I feel like you're definitely famous enough to have writers.
Speaker 2: No way, you make sure next week at the lawn, just twenty sneak as well. Actually that's another thing.
Speaker 3: We go to hotels another thing, and like we don't we never like now.
Speaker 2: Two we are, well, just book our assistant or book a hotel and then the hotel room's filled with booby tape cakes. Well, welcome to this country. Yeah, that's a photos of us in the rooms.
Speaker 1: Like, oh my god, that is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really cute.
Speaker 1: Amazing. All right, very last question. I was going to ask you to tell me your pet peeves about each other, but I'm going to ask you that when I see you in person. Last question is just if you guys have a favorite quote or mantra or motto or philosophy or something that kind of has seen you through your journey.
Speaker 2: I know what comes to my mind. I don't actually have a specific but like just what comes to my mind is just the word hustle. Like I just everyone just needs to hustle. Hustle's a big one for me. Doing this business is it comes to mental breaking point. And then how I get through it is I go every day is a new day. So then oh I like that we set.
Speaker 3: And I can be having like sometimes and I'm just learning. If I'm having one of those days, just to walk out of.
Speaker 2: The office and just go home. I don't really do it, but like I've done theory, when you're in that zone, it's like you're really unhealthy to be around other people. Just go home and just work from home if you have to, don't be around other people, and you reset and senor day a good one. That Mum's always told me that that sticks in my head is nothing's forever, Like it's okay, like time but nothing. She's like, nothing, not you, not me, not anything is forever. Things will pass, like because I do feel some people who get extremely overwhelmed, I think it's forever. It's not like it's okay, it'll pass, and you just got to think it's not forever. I live my life as well. I grew up with parents who are like you know, the children of immigrants, and they.
Speaker 3: Worked so hard, and they were like they didn't enjoy themselves, never when on holidays, never did anything, So I don't want that life either. I want to say I've lived. If something happened to me touchwood tomorrow, I'm content. I've had an amazing life, so yeah, I just lived to live.
Speaker 2: Present is important, Oh amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, what a beautiful note to finish on. You guys are just extraordinary I knew that already, but even more extraordinary as sisters, as business owners, as women, as friends like I cannot wait to cell itbrate next week, and I'm so grateful for you joining us.
Speaker 2: You. Wow.
Speaker 1: You can clearly see now why these two sisters have been as successful as they have, the way their brains just tick NonStop and they never shy away from hard work. I learned so much from them about business and strategy and marketing viral campaigns, but also honesty and teamwork. And I love how humble the earlier days were, reminding us all that very few people wake up one day knowing where they'll end up, and that that's part of the best ways TA. If you enjoyed listening, please please share the episode. Take a screenshot now, do it on your phone and post away, tagging Bianca Rockasano and Bridget Rocker. Even include your favorite takeaways. There might even be a giveaway for the best share. It's so important to acknowledge them for giving us their time so generously and sharing so much of their wisdom. I hope you guys are having an amazing week in the meantime, that you enjoyed all of the shenanigans that you saw from the rebrand. I'll include the links to the new collection in the show notes, and I can't wait to share more of these incredible guests with you. We've got so many wonderful recordings coming up now that we're back in our groove. I hope you are all seizing your yay