Speaker 1: You're listening to a.
Speaker 2: Mumma mea podcast.
Speaker 3: Hello, it's m Vernom here dropping into your feed to introduce you to a brand new podcast from Mamma Mia. Biz is the podcast rewriting the rules of work for a new generation, and each week I'll be joined by our career coaches and business experts Michelle Battersby and Sophhurst as they tackle everything from dealing with difficult bosses to knowing if your side hustle can actually become your career. In the very first episode, we learn the art of asking for a pay rise successfully.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 3: Welcome to BIZ, the podcast that's rewriting the rules of work for a new generation. I'm m Vernon and look, I would describe my work ethic as someone who's a career driven girl boss, but I'd also like to clock off at four pm. Career success is important to me, but I just want someone to kind of tell me what the shortcuts are. The good news is my two co hosts give excellent career advice and they know.
Speaker 2: A lot about business.
Speaker 3: Michelle Battersby launched Bumble into this region and now she runs her own startup called Sunroom. It helps people monetize their content and when I enter the workforce in twenty eighteen, Look Michelle was the person I wanted to be. She's literally thezillennial woman's career idol. My other co host, Sophhirst, is an ex Google marketing manager and she's the founder of work Baby. It's a career coaching program for people in their early career era like myself. Mission sof have been bosses, managers, employees, and employers, and the way this show is going to work is that they're going to share all of their knowledge with tired career girlies like myself. First start being how to ask for more money?
Speaker 4: How much money can I realistically ask for?
Speaker 1: I don't know what's reasonable and what's considered a promotion.
Speaker 4: I wonder you where to start.
Speaker 3: I swear all my male friends have no problem asking, but I just feel so embarrassed.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to say.
Speaker 3: I think I once went in and said, could I maybe look at I don't know, like maybe a pay rise in six months? And my boss said yeah, sure, and then never spoke of it again.
Speaker 2: It's so ikey talking about money.
Speaker 1: I remember going into a pay rise meeting. I had all my ducks in a row.
Speaker 3: I knew everything I was going to say, and the moment I got in there and stared down the barrel at my boss, I got so nervous and completely froze.
Speaker 1: And we didn't even get to that part of the conversation.
Speaker 3: Talking about pay rises is about as comfortable as when you have to call in sick when everyone saw you taking three tequila shots. I'd worked drinks to the night before. But luckily our beer's career coaches, Michelle and Sof are going to share exactly what the expert secrets are on how to nail that conversation. So let's get into it.
Speaker 1: So, salary is kind of a weird thing to talk about work. I actually think it's very awkward to talk about money. Read your coworkers, and there's a lot of bad advice during the rounds on social media about how to actually ask. So we're gonna bust some Paarise myths and answer your big questions about asking your big boss for more cash. Michelle, you worked in HR, so I imagine you've been behind the scenes at quite a few pairrise conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Speaker 5: I once saw someone get a six figure pay rise off the back of going and getting a job offer from another company. So we can talk about if that's do or don't. And I've also seen people get a bit emotional, get a little aggressive, maybe bring a pay rise up as a condition or an ultimatum, which is not the best way to go about it, as it can move away from the facts and be counterproductive to the argument.
Speaker 4: I think it can get very personal.
Speaker 1: Something I feel love doing with my clients is you do this sort of mental flip so instead of they're sitting there thinking why do I want a pair rise? Why should I get a pair rise? Try to imagine yourself as your boss and think why should I get Michelle a pay rise? Why would I want to get Michelle a pay rise? So you want to frame it all as the kind of value and the benefit to the company. If you're thinking about why a company would want to give you a pay rise, it's really about a lot of the time retaining good talent. It's really expensive to hire new talent, and they really do want to retain good talent. So this EPP is all about helping you prove that you're good talent.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's bust some of those myths.
Speaker 5: I went out on my socials and I asked people, what do you want to know about pay rises? And I got a ton of questions back, So let's get into it. Probably one of the most common was when should I ask? And should I be asking every year? So, if I'm very keen for your take on this, do you think it's okay to ask for a pay every year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you are on TikTok, everyone says, yes, you should be asking every year. So, first of all, I think there's a lot of variation in terms of how companies approach pay rises. So first find out what the deal is at your company. At smaller companies, they probably don't have much process, and your manager is probably the person that's going to approve it. At bigger companies, there's probably a very formal process. You know, Google it was very formal and transparent, and the person you are actually asking, your manager is probably several levels away from the person who's actually approving it. So first, I think, just understand how the process works at your company. I think it really helps have mates in HR or in the finance team to know when budgeting happens and things like that. But back to the question, so should you ask every year? I actually really know to this, and I'll tell you why. I think the ideal situation that you want to get in is that you've actually created a reason that your compensation should change. So that's like a change in your scope. You've got more experience and you're better at your job now, so you're actually delivering more values the company, and you want approve that. I think just having this artificial timeline in your head of like every twelve months I'm gonna ask isn't really the right approach. And I think it's more about what's changed and what can you kind of package up and proof has changed and therefore you deserve a pay rise.
Speaker 5: I love that because I obviously do spend too much time on TikTok because my default was yes, I do think people should be asking for a pay rise every twelve months.
Speaker 2: But my perspective is.
Speaker 5: Rooted in those people actually having performed, Like I'm assuming that all those people are top performers and they are contributing to the organization.
Speaker 2: They have evolved, they have developed.
Speaker 5: So if you're sitting there wondering if I should be asking for a pay rise every twelve months. I feel like the answer is yes, if you are getting shit done and you're moving the needle in your.
Speaker 1: Role, what are you thinking about cost of living and inflation and if employers should be giving pay rise based on sort of that changing.
Speaker 5: So I actually think inflation is worth being aware of. Like that actually is a reason maybe why you could rationalize asking for a pay rise every year, But you absolutely should not be bringing up inflation as the reason why you deserve one, Like just because inflation has occurred does not entitle you to a pay rise. And I think if you went into a conversation and that was your leading argument from an employer perspective, it comes across as a bit of a weak argument, like give me your actual tangible results, don't just default to inflation. But we also need pay rises to ensure we're able to live, to survive, to pay our rent, to buy our groceries. So I do think it's a reason why, like seeking a pay rise every twelve months is like reasonable from a human perspective, but you still need to be backing it up with how you improve the company performance. Otherwise you're just not going to get the pay rise from your employer in the first place.
Speaker 1: I did some research into whether the employers actually plan to give pay rises, so there was a say you were link in the show notes, but it's said in Australia ninety six percent of employers plan to give pay rises in twenty twenty four. A third of that that was actually flat for all staff, fourteen percent was to match inflation, and twenty eight percent was actually based on performance. So even if your company is planning to give pay rises, it's still going to be mostly based on performance, so you need to sort of prove you're delivering.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and if inflation was like two percent or three percent, for example, you would want more than a two.
Speaker 2: Or three percent pay rise.
Speaker 5: So that's another reason why you wouldn't really want inflation to be the basis of your argument.
Speaker 2: But it's more just a personal reason I think.
Speaker 5: I think if you're unsure if you're even paid a fair rate, a really good place to start is to go to a website like Hayes or Hudson and look at market data that will give you an indication of what people in similar roles to you in your city are being paid. And I think that's a very good start, if you're just going in completely blind. Back to my point earlier around if getting offers from other companies is a good way to get a pay rise or not. I actually do think interviewing at other jobs is also a very good way to get a read on what you might be paid out there in the market. But I do think if you are then going to use an offer to try and get a pay rise in a job you're already in, you definitely need to be willing to walk away. So if you're interviewing somewhere else, you have to be down to take that role, because you might not always bring that offer to your employer and they might not match it. They might say no, worries see you later.
Speaker 2: So you have to be.
Speaker 5: Strategic and like intentional about how you go about that. If that's a process you're going to follow, what do you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree, I think it can be really effective. I think it's massive risk. So the point that you mentioned before, you have to be willing to walk away. Another big question is how much dold I actually ask for what's actually going to have an impact on your life? So, like anything less than five percent after tax is teken out and month and month, you may not really notice that. And then if you're getting sort of up to the you know, twenty percent, that's really a promotion that you're asking for and that's a big jump. So I think somewhere in the range at five to fifteen is probably what people are thinking about in terms of pay rise, but it's going to be based on so many different factors.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 5: Okay, another question was I feel too uncomfortable asking is it really worth it?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 4: This is my approach to life.
Speaker 1: I think in general, tough conversations are worth it at work and in life. So you know, a good way to think of that is that good leaders ask for what they want and need at work all the time. So in a way, you doing this is actually a demonstration of your leadership and you shouldn't feel.
Speaker 4: Scared about it.
Speaker 1: That said, it does take work and preparation, and if you go into it without prepping, there is a risk that you show up as not being able to read the room, that you don't really have your shit together, and I think there is a risk to it.
Speaker 4: And also it's just like a ton of efforts.
Speaker 1: So I think you really want to ask yourself how much of an asking for is there really a case for this, like have I actually delivered, you know, met expectations, exceeded expectations, has my role changed? And then I think that that line there's no harm in asking, just ask. I do think there is a harmon asking if you don't do the prep and you don't really have a case, and you haven't read the room. Chaf that into account and then if all those things are a yes, then go into it with like, this is you showing leadership and it's actually going to be an excellent learning experience for you. Do not be scared, and I think probably especially women, more of us should be up scared.
Speaker 5: I think that's such a good answer, no notes from me, and I think it really moves into the next question very well, which is should I ask if my company isn't performing about reading the room? I think you can ask for a pay rise if your company isn't performing, but you need to be damn sure that you're still contributing to the company's objectives. And I think when you approach the conversation, it would be you know, I know, as a business, we haven't reached X, Y, and Z, but I've got some ideas about how we can do that in the next quarter, and here's how I'm going to move that for you empathy and compassion. You're aware that the company isn't quite there and you're showing up like but I'm focused on that, and here's how I'm going to improve that for all of us. Because I think to your point, if you don't read the room in that kind of environment, if you don't do that, well, I don't want to scare people, but it actually could make.
Speaker 4: You a bit of a target.
Speaker 2: So it's good.
Speaker 5: For everyone to be aware how you contribute to the business consistently.
Speaker 1: I also think it's a long game as well that sometimes you have to play. So maybe you're going to ask and then they're going to say no, and then six months later you just sort of want to say to them, well, if it's a no, now what would it look like, what to take for it to be a yes? And sort of start climbing message. But yeah, working on it with your manager together. There's sort of no hum in asking knowing that it might you know, but it might be yes later.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 5: So that's your big questions answered. Now you're probably thinking, so, how the hell do I actually ask. That's on the way next.
Speaker 1: So how do you actually ask for a pay rise? Remember your mindset, get inside your boss's head. Frame it in terms of the value actually bringing for the company. Don't make it about you and your personal financial situation. For example, don't mention that you're saving for a house deposit or you know, mentioned cost of living. We're going to make it all about the company and the value you're delivering. Don't be scared. You have the right to ask, and it is showing good leadership. Okay, Michelle, you are an HR expert. Tell us how people can think about framing their value.
Speaker 5: This is a very simple framework, or you can think about it just like three prompts, and this is what you're going to sit down at your desk and think about before you go into these conversations. And the prompts are experience, role, and output. So when you think about your experience, you're obviously thinking about how many years you've been doing the job. What unique insights do you also bring based on that experience. But I think think when it comes to advocating for a pay rise, when you've been at the company for a few years, for example, it's how has your experience grown. Have you done courses leadership? Have you been on training camps, have you, you know, gone to conferences around the world, whatever it is, you're really thinking about how you've grown your skill set and your knowledge.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: So it's not just experience in terms of I've been here, you know, two years, it's actually how have you invested in improving your experience and the experience that you have in doing that role.
Speaker 4: It's like expertise.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and I know we'll get to this, but that's also something that you can also be asking for in these performance conversations, like I want to do a training course on X, I want to do this online course. Really simple things people can do that I just think make them sound and seem a bit smarter. Is got a bit bored over the break? Did these three online Harvard courses?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: They're just really easy little wins that just make you seem like you care. The second thing is role. So how has your role evolved? Did someone go and leave and you took on their responsibilities? Are you managing more people? Are you actually doing three jobs? Is your job moving well beyond what the original job description was? Those are things that you can use to advocate for a pay rise. The biggest and most important one though, is obviously your output, and this really needs to be evidence and fact based, so numbers relating to your KPIs, but always bringing it back to the company's objectives as well, and as we've discussed, really leading with what the business is trying to achieve and then how you, as an individual have helped them get there. So if you have an epic hack for this, because you can also find yourself approaching these conversations, especially if they only happen once a year in your business and you've now forgotten half the things that you've done throughout the year.
Speaker 1: I always hated this so much. It's like summarize twelve months of your work into six bullet points, and I you know, you never know what you're gonna do. So the best hack that I found to doing this is actually just too every time that you have an example of good work, and that might be results metrics, it might be something a client has said about you, it might be something a cowork has said about you, and slack anything that is like you doing good work, you're gonna screenshot that and just throw it in a folder.
Speaker 4: On your desktop.
Speaker 1: I try and save like a couple of week, and what you're gonna find is when you go through that, you're just gonna jog your memory and gonna have all these great examples.
Speaker 4: So that's the fastest hack I found.
Speaker 1: The other thing people really struggle with is how do you actually articulate your value and kind of summarize it into a nice, neat little bullet point that sounds professional and human whatever. I think that was a really good question that you had from someone right around this.
Speaker 5: Yes, another question that people kept coming through with was how to articulate your value if you've contributed via a lot of soft skills. So this could be things like critical thinking, communication, influence leadership. And I think this is important because how you get shit done matters. Like I like to think about it, like, soft skills achieve hard outcomes, you know, So don't think just because you bring softer skills to the table that you still can't articulate that into a tangible bullet point.
Speaker 2: So so please tell us how to do that.
Speaker 4: We actually just took the words out of my mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing, Like, it's the soft skills that mean the company can actually do stuff that leads to the hardship. So yeah, I wanted to give people a way that they can actually think about articulating their soft skills. First of all, this is what a lot of people miss. You want to give context to the points that you're actually sharing. So it's not just about data points and stats. It's actually give context. Why was it great or why was it hard? So some examples would be, you know, was it the first time that you did something like this, Were there lots of different teams that had to come together for the first time, was there a really tight turnaround time on this, or you're dealing with tons of different roadblocks and delays. So you want to shry and build in context, and then the main thing is to link that skill to the actual impact and the results. So there's a really great sentence you can use, and we're going to put this.
Speaker 4: In the newsletter.
Speaker 1: You want to say, I demonstrated skill by doing what which meant that, and then you put the impact. So I'm going to give you guys an example demonstrated leadership by bringing together stakeholders from four different teams who have never worked together before to collaborate on a project for the first time, which meant that. So I think you can actually use context and then link it to something that actually has impact and a result attached to it.
Speaker 2: I love that so much.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I feel like this will be so helpful for people. I'm sitting here thinking I wish I could have soaf in an earpiece as I do these conversations, but we're actually doing.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: This is it. I think we've made it super clear.
Speaker 5: So when you're going into these conversations, focus on the company. I know as a company we've been working towards X, Y and z A. Here's how I've contributed to that in my role. And then use your structure. So what were your three key words?
Speaker 2: Can you repeat them for me?
Speaker 4: Demonstrated skill by doing what which meant that result?
Speaker 2: Skill what which meant that result? Love it?
Speaker 5: Okay, So what happens if they say no, slash we don't have the budget right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, which probably will happen right Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think in this situation it's like I wouldn't take no as meaning no full stop.
Speaker 2: It just means not right now.
Speaker 5: This is an opportunity to continue the conversation and as you said, play the long game. And I also think you can ask for different things in the meantime that aren't just monetary.
Speaker 1: Rightly, So one of my favorite things to do is actually, if you get a no, then think about asking for non financial pay rise. So that might be something like there's this specific course that I really want to do. It might be I really want this opportunity to work on a specific project, or like a really cool mentoring opportunity. You might want to travel a little bit more, so maybe it's like, you know, can I take it to Melbourne? Whatever it is you want to be asking and think about non financial incentives as well. The interesting thing about asking for non financial incentives or like a non financial pay rise. If you think about like say you get a pay rise and it's two thousand dollars and then tax comes out of it, it's actually not that much in the end. But there's this quote from Warren Buffett, who's one of the most famous investors in the world, and he actually says, by far, the best investment you can make is in yourself. And so you might actually be better taking that two grand and investing that in your own skills and your own self instead of just thinking about getting the cash.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we're all about concrete action points here it biz so so what are they?
Speaker 1: So? One, do your research, understand how your company runs the promotion and pay rise system, and know the market rates for your role and your industry. Two is start planning early. So talk about what is expected of you in your role with your manager. Make sure you understand the big company priorities, start your windsholder, and you know, consider giving your manager heads up like this is something that I actually want to work towards. And then three, make it about them, not you. So this is about the value that you delivered. Grab Michelle's experience role output framework in the newsletter and that will have you totally sort it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So listening to Michelle and so you guys, I've been doing this all wrong. I didn't realize that I shouldn't just walk into my boss's office and beg for money just like Oliver Twist style. If you don't implement a strategy, not only is your manager going to say no to you, but you'd probably also give them the IG, which I know we all know is way worse. So here's what I'm actually going to do, and you should too if you want more money. But you hate those awkward conversations. So first, I'm going to start keeping a track of all of the good stuff I do at work. Because I didn't realize my boss wasn't psychic and didn't know I've been staying back late nearly every day this past week. I mean, it's kind of rude, but it's understandable. Then I'm going to go straight to Hayes dot com dot au to figure out what I should actually be earning. And finally, I'm going to practice saying I deserve more money in the mirror, and I'm going to try to do it without cringing, because apparently asking for what you want is leadership. It's not being annoying, which is so great to know. Thank you so much for listening to our first episode of Bibs and Look. We want to tell you that we are here to help. Well, Michelle and Sofa here to help.
Speaker 1: Do not worry.
Speaker 3: I will not try to help you myself. Think of them as your new work mentors. They're ready to answer your actual work question. So make sure you sign up to our newsletter to get all the support you need. Plus our biz Inbox episodes drop later in the week where we answer all of your questions and the biggest work issues that are trending on TikTok. See you next time. We hope you enjoyed that very first episode of BIZ. If you want to learn more about how to make the most out of your working life, make sure you're following BIZ in your favorite podcast app. There will be a link in our show notes and join us on Thursdays as we dive into the biz Inbox. It's a weekly second drop from BIZ where we answer all of your work related questions.
Speaker 1: Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gatigul people of the Or Nation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and torres strained islander cultures.