Speaker 1: Hi, it's free player here, executive producer of No Filter. We heard you, and we are finally making it happen. Mama Mia. Subscribers now get exclusive early access to every episode of No Filter, dropping every Saturday at six am. That's two full days before regular listeners. Listen on your morning walk, while doing the kids' sports run, or before heading out to dinner. Not a subscriber, you can tap the link in the show notes right now and join us.
Speaker 2: Now, let's get into the episode. Yeah, because people go, oh, my work wife, my work husband, and it's like that smoke that is my work husband looks so much like my real husband. Weird, but it's good. Like I think, if you I married the right person to do this with, do you know what I mean? And I like to think he did too.
Speaker 3: Harriet Dyer has become one of Australia's biggest television success stories. She's the co creator, writer and star of Colin from Account, the little Australian comedy that became an international hit and made audiences around the world fall in love with Harry and her husband, Patrick Bramle. But Harriet will tell you she's never been the loudest person in the room. She describes herself as genuinely shy, the kind of child who hid behind her dad's leg on the first day of school, and the kind of actor who was rejected from Nider twice before finding another way. In this conversation, Harriet talks about growing up in Townsville, building a career one rejection at a time, falling in love with Patrick, becoming a mother, and creating one of Australia's most beloved television shows. It's a conversation about creativity, partnership and what happens when you keep saying yes to things that scare you. This is Harriet Dyer. Oh, Harry Dyer, Yeah, babe.
Speaker 4: Welcome to no Filter.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 4: You said you were nervous. Why are you nervous?
Speaker 2: Because I like a filter? Oh okay, filter It says none.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it says none.
Speaker 2: And I think I need one. People close to.
Speaker 3: Me are like, oh, if you're unfiltered, it's a problem, is it, really?
Speaker 2: I just get an overshare hangover?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, yeah, Well I think a lot of people do.
Speaker 3: But I'm always reminded of Jude Lucy said once in her stand up years ago. Famous people are always like, I'm not going to talk about my private life, and she said, I'm always like, why not. You are in a slightly different situation now because you have gone from a beloved domestic product of ours and friend.
Speaker 2: Too international little bit. But also it's like I think, I think I'm truly shy, but this job keeps forcing me to not be that. And now I have little kids, I'm like, that's your personality, Like you're that kind of and we nurture I mean in the kids you can see their personality. And then I think back to there was this video of my first day of school when I was five in Townsville, and like I would not come out from behind my dad's leg, behind the couch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so shy at school.
Speaker 2: This was like in the house getting ready and my hand in my mouth, head down. My sister two years old, was like it's Harry's first day and she was ready to go, and I was like not coping. But then that year at school, I think I had to learn to pull something out because it was a pretty rough school. We moved schools after that, but our first year, our year one class had eighteen teachers. I think the kids were so fair. What do you mean, Kepaving oh you're kidding, you know how it's like one a one yeah, yeah, yeah, we were just like one question.
Speaker 4: It's just like.
Speaker 2: There is no teacher to this crew. They were feral.
Speaker 4: What in first year?
Speaker 2: We're five years old and and and they just kept leaving. And I think in a in an effort to survive, I just got quite good at I don't know, being funny you're.
Speaker 3: Right, or diffusing, diffusing a situation that you could feel was happening, even about like join.
Speaker 4: The rabble, you're right.
Speaker 2: And so now I'm like in this industry where it's like, you know, beyond and be good at it. My party is really good at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I ye, he has got a real kind of ease. There doesn't seem to be a demarcation with him. He's him and him and sort of private him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Obviously he's more himself at home. But he's not that different.
Speaker 4: Do you think you are? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm I'm an introbute.
Speaker 4: But see, I think a lot of performers.
Speaker 2: I'm not alone there for yes, but I yeah, I just get anxious about I don't. I don't, I don't. I am scared of being misunderstood or something. But also I've got to remember that the best version of me is the one that relaxes.
Speaker 3: Yes, And it's just because when you're tight, and it's not gonna be good.
Speaker 2: No, okay, we don't want that. We don't want that happening, we say next to that one.
Speaker 3: But but like, okay, so I had a very beautiful encounter with your husband.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry you had to talk to.
Speaker 4: Him really.
Speaker 3: Actually not in front of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's you know, I'm so gross. I don't want to hurt his feeling.
Speaker 3: But he spoke, you know, when someone just speaks with love about someone, Yes, and not only I was talking to a girlfriend about this recently. Who's for the first time really going out with someone who approves of them? You know that difference his total approval of you is really beautiful and it's launched like a great adventure for you to creatively as well as well as personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's in my corner for sure.
Speaker 3: But when you were little five year old Harry hiding behind your dad's leg, like, who, what were you like then? And what was TOWNSV like?
Speaker 2: Well, I really I really think I found myself in performance. So it wasn't just in like surviving that rabble of kids. But I got really quickly into dance and speech and drama, right, yes, singing.
Speaker 4: So they offered that at school.
Speaker 2: No, I did a lot of extracurriculus.
Speaker 4: I can.
Speaker 2: And also there's a really active amateur theater scene in Townsville, really huge dram babe, And so we were by the time I was seven, I was doing like I was in musicals to big, you know, six hundred seater and what musicals? First one was Annie, but my sister was Annie, and I was Molly. Oh right, che on the curly red wig.
Speaker 4: It's a hard not life back.
Speaker 2: And I loved that, and I think I got kind of bitten by the bug of performing. And that's where I realized. I was like, oh, this is me, and I don't I know how to show all my feathers here, right. And also people clap and they don't care when you do a math test.
Speaker 4: No, no, they don't.
Speaker 3: In fact, these they discouraged that it's really only at school athletics. Yeah, those people get a lot of applause. They're driven by something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But and performance, yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's something in it which feels like the antithesis of it, but you can hide in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're showing yourself yes and yet not yes.
Speaker 2: Like poor Jess out there wanted me to walk around the office and look at everyone's dog and do like a social thing, and I started to die a bit, right because I don't know how to just walk around and be funny right like people have been like, you should just stand up, and I'm like, I will fall into a pile of ashes, like that woman cremated herself.
Speaker 4: Well done.
Speaker 2: But I can do it if I'm someone else. So it's so good. If I'm like Ashley and Colin or a in a play, that's just the best. So I feel like, you know, impenetrable.
Speaker 3: But also I think stand up is a very I've spent a lot of my life working with stand up comedians, mostly me, and I think it's a very different media because it's not collaborative. No, So a comedian is like that's you will all sit there in the dark, listen, I will have a spotlight on me and I will make you laugh nightmare, whereas your work is very collaborative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, never alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah true.
Speaker 2: And I've not done a one woman show, but even that, you've got a direct eye. You've got you've got some crew, yes, but yeah, no, I do like and you're collaborating with the audience, I supposeactly. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But then at what point did you go, did Molly go this is I could have a career in this right? At what point did you go or that it was more than just something that you enjoyed as a kid?
Speaker 2: I kept winning awards, did only in humble brag. I couldn't. I can't help, But the answer is I kept getting trophies boom, right, and and you kind of got to listen to the feedback. Like the feedback was good. And then it became a bit like not just towns for feedback, but like North Queensland and Queensland feedback, and like there was some big competition the Festival of One Act Plays or something, and they had so many participants and I think I was about twelve, and I won Best Actor in the whole thing. Oh and I was up against like adults.
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 2: What was I can't remember what you did? I can't remember. Maybe I was playing like a funny old lady a right, but this adjudicator from Brisbane political well, it just big, big, big, smile. He was like, this kid's got it, and so I just was like, I think I've got to listen to that. And also I wasn't excelling in anything else.
Speaker 4: Oh pretty good at music, right, yes?
Speaker 2: Almost almost. Actually I applied to do jazz vocal performance at the Conservatorium of Music in Queensland and I got in on my singing, but I failed the theory test right, and they're like, if you do six months hardcore theory, it will pop you in. And I thought boring, but you were a scatter. I was doing a minute a little bit and now I'm like, wow, if they'd accepted me, we wouldn't be city talking.
Speaker 3: Well reck is interesting because they knew you. Also auditioned for NIDER.
Speaker 2: YEP, didn't get in. Twice YEP didn't get in, Which is I never auditioned for NIDER. I auditioned for VCA. Oh yeah, did I get into that? Didn't get I don't think I auditioned for v.
Speaker 4: But it can be.
Speaker 3: Nider are famously bruising and how was it for you? Can you remember the first time?
Speaker 2: I remember I remember a terrible moment where they just they're sitting there just kind of telling you what life's like. And I'm from Townsville as I as I've mentioned, and I had borrowed a car or something, and it was really epic part of the audition. Maybe it was like they were walking through your second callback monologue, this is what you have to do. And suddenly I realized I'd pucked in the clearway. Oh no, and it was three point thirty and it was the clearway was three to seven, and I think I'd been left. I think I wasn't expecting to be that long in the day. And suddenly it was like, I'm so sorry, I have to go and move my echo right, my little yellowiss yellow Toyota echo, and it wasn't there, and it was somewhere else and I just came back and I was so kind of thrown by it, but I still did. Like I can't blame that. I just don't think I was going to get in. No, but that's a very strange thing to do. Yeah, I think I made it through the next round. So the echo didn't kill me, but I didn't. I think I did. I never got past that round two, okay, and then but it was enough for you to go, I'm going to do this again.
Speaker 4: I'm going to audition again.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I got in. I never actually studied there. So I then got into a part time cause there called singer answer Actor. So it was a music theater thing and it was every night and all day Saturday, so it was a big course. It was like five to nine pretty much Monday to Friday. So I'd work all day at Collier's real Estate, oh, Industrial real Estate or Gloria Jeans.
Speaker 4: I worked up for some of them, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then night dime drill coffee, Yeah, does your grind nighttime you know, singing, dancing, acting, And then Saturday was this insane day called master Class where you'd sit there was like fourteen of us in the class and there'd me be maybe three people on a Saturday, and they'd get up and they do a song. And basically the person who ran it, she was amazing, but she's terrifying, and she'd basically kind of te your to shreds is an intense thing to say, yes because she made me a better performer, but she pulled it apart, you know, and she had stuff to say and it. Yeah, it was a scary day and you'd just sit there so sweaty, just so sweaty.
Speaker 3: You know that book? Have you read that book Respect for Acting? That new Hargen book?
Speaker 2: You know what? I bought it. Yeah, I didn't read it.
Speaker 3: Didn't read it. Okay, So I read it but didn't end up being an act o. God, tell me about it. Well, there's a great quote in there where you must have respect. It was you must have respect for acting?
Speaker 4: No, I bought it.
Speaker 3: I think it was it was the other famous acting teacher who had.
Speaker 4: The school in New York.
Speaker 2: And oh that guy, No, he was another one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, he's oh the one in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my brain.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Whatever he says in this book would that the stage were as narrow and treacherous as a tightrope, that the untalented would not dare to treat upon it, which I've always sort of remembered because I think a part of me was like the untalented, I do not treat upon it. But there's something to be said for you encountering these things that you pushed against that might cow some people and might stop them in their tracks. With more people are defeated, yeah, than pushed through. And what was it in you that went even when you were at a masterclass, getting rich to shreds or you're getting the rejection. What was the germ in you? The seed that dared to still look for the.
Speaker 2: Sun because I knew I could only get better. I knew I had talent, yeah, but I didn't think I was like an oil painting, so I wasn't going to get in that way. I was like, I look fine, but I know I'm talented, and I just did have enough of a belief to go. It's important to fail in front of these people. It's important to train. I would never dare to think that I would just be handed a job without a huge amount of training.
Speaker 4: I just yeah.
Speaker 2: I also think it's important to fail in a more supportive environment, like it was scary, but everyone's failing. Yes, it was these beautiful fourteen people that we just constantly failed in front of each other. And then after that, I did a two and a half year acting course. More failure, but I knew that you had to do it. And I still think. I've like I've looked at professional jobs and gone. I think I look at everything I do and I just want to be better than the last thing. But everything I think when you're you know, we're all sensitive, but everything is scary, and you have to just keep showing up. I was knitting in a coffee shop once when I was on a Bell Shakespeare tour and I was going all around Australia with this play, and it said there was a quote on the wall that said a ship in a harbor is safe, but this is not. Chips are four, And I like, okay, I got it. Just you know, that's me to the wa I just got it. That's the five year old that's shy. Just keep going out a ship.
Speaker 4: You're a ship.
Speaker 2: But also I could stop and then I'll just go Oh. I don't want regret until I'm really old, but I know that I need to get better all the time.
Speaker 3: Because there comes a point often too in an actor's life, if they've reached some success, some external success as well, where you go from being someone who's pitching yourself against these challenges and failing and being prepared to fail. Where you enter an environment, particularly you would know from Hollywood now where you're really coseted and insulated, and at that point growth can stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can get a bit precious.
Speaker 3: Yes, And also there's a vibrating there's a whole world constructed around you. Yes, and your comfort and your needs.
Speaker 2: God, it makes monsters, truly.
Speaker 3: And so now that you have moved to Hollywood and you've had this success with Colin, do you think there's.
Speaker 4: A life like before Colin and after Colin for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Yeah, because that show I did in I did twenty episodes of a show in Montreal before we came here to do season three of Colin, and that's been canceled. That was called DMV. But I was number one on that show, which means you're the lead, and oh my god, you're like, you've basically got Butler's yes and everyone everyone's just taking care of you. And I was a bit of a special case because I had to keep going to my trailer in any time off to write this season. So I was doing a few things with the two kids as well. It was a lot going on, but my needs were very met. Day one of Colin, we were shooting in Centennial Park and it's my show. Like me and Patty other bosses. I'm also number one or number two, doesn't matter, I'm number one.
Speaker 4: Just be nice.
Speaker 2: But I just couldn't get I was.
Speaker 4: Like, why do I sit yeah, where's my cheese?
Speaker 2: And that felt I had to like shove down this in a diva that had almost grown in Montreal, where I got very used to being told there's your water, of course, and they had put out like two cast chairs and then just randoms were sitting it. Not randoms, but like.
Speaker 4: People who shouldn't have been sitting in them.
Speaker 2: I just needed someone. Also, I think I was very nervous. This is the five shy year old, shi year old five year old is a seat for me, especially on the set, is somewhere to just charge. And I started to panic. I'm like, if I've got a if I if I can't because the scene WHI we're doing is walking walk, you talk. We just back and forth and Pat can do that all day and I just was like, but I and I didn't want to seem like a diva. So day one I was like, oh, I'll just get it. I'll just and I just found myself just sitting on like a route under a tree, and I'm like, We've come a long way since TMV, but it's important, yes, And now if I went back into an American job, I've got to remember to see it for what it is. Which is like, this is how monsters are made. Some of the cast I worked with in Montreal, like one guy, we had this kind of common area and he was like, I want a treadmill, I want a stat machine, and I want a stationary bike and a big TV. Within four hours he had a full gym. Yeah, okay, And is that a good thing? I don't know. Like that creates It's set a tone where it's like, quick, get that guy what he wants. And that's insane. That would never happen here, and.
Speaker 4: Nor should it. No, that's wrong.
Speaker 2: So the industry covers like a gamut whether you're working there or here. And I prefer to be the person that can handle to sit on a tree route and just recharge quietly.
Speaker 3: Well, because that goes back to what you were saying about how you always want to get better. Yeah, and you want to grow and there is no growth. Yeah, there's no growth without pain. No, No, you're listening to no filter more with Harriet Dyer in just a moment, what was your biggest professional pain, like where you found the growth?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question. I found it really hard working on that. I did a movie with Elizabeth Moss where I played her sister, an invisible man, and I get killed in this restaurant scene and it was really hectic, and they'd made this rig where it was kind of silicon and painted into me and my throat was slit and all this blood came out. And it was a night shoot in a restaurant, was like two or three am. And they did all Lizzie's coverage. First, she allowed Lizzie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she wasn't full Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: This was pre interview. We're talking about nicknames. Ye, she's Lizzie. But they did her coverage. They turn around, they're running out of time, and they were like okay, and now the knife and now die and leemanel The director was just yelling.
Speaker 4: Things out and held, yeah, he's just.
Speaker 2: And choke more and that's it and cough and do something. And I felt like this acting robot and I'm choking and dying and that's it and fall and he sounded kind of frustrated and then he was like, cut, Okay, I guess we got it. And I was like, oh god, And that was my big moment. And they had all these other rigs ready to go, with my silk shirt all ready to go, and They're like, that's a wrap, and I said, but I thought maybe that was a practice, like I only got one go, and they're like, not run out of time. And then I got into this lift by myself and it was, like I said, maybe four o'clock in the morning, and I was so tired and so so much adrenaline, and in the mirror of the lift, I just saw my throat completely slipt, and because it was so good, it wasn't any visual effects, it was all practical, and my brain was like.
Speaker 4: Are you dead?
Speaker 2: Like it was just a weird. And then I don't think you should see yourself like that, you know. And then I got into bed, like after a shower later about six am, going what was that? And I think it taught me that you may only get one go, right, and you've got to be happy with it because they just got to move on. Yes, And I wish someone big machine yeah, And I wish someone had kind of said you okay, or and Patty and I really try to take care of our actors, especially there's like an emotional scene coming up. I try to give them space or say do you want another go? Like even though we're not directors, we are on set producers and I don't remember the question, but I remember I think maybe that was my answer. I just remember going, I really this was my biggest shot in this death scene with Lizzie Moss, and I got one, and I should have Should I have given it more?
Speaker 4: Or but it was fine.
Speaker 2: It was fine, which is also a lesson, isn't it Exactly if you've trained and you've worked hard and you're there, you're probably gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: And you've committed yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But in terms of biggest pain pain in terms of light rolls, There's not been a job that I've gone for that I've missed out on and been in like pining because I really just so believe it wasn't meant to be. Anytime I don't get a job, it's like not meant to happen if you if you pine all the auditions, you don't care. Like Also, it's butterfly like affect shit, Like there's so many things I wish I'd gotten and then Colin wouldn't have happened. Yes, yes, so many things.
Speaker 3: And I always think that looking at the cast of Colin as well, that they're people that you and Patty have worked with that, you have drawn back together into this absolutely brilliant ensemble cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really good. It's a great cast, and we love each other. There's a lot of love there.
Speaker 4: Why are you ending it?
Speaker 2: Because I think creatively it's good. Leave on a high. I don't want anyone to get sick of it.
Speaker 3: I think when you say you don't want anyone to get sick of it, do you mean the.
Speaker 4: Audience or do you mean you? And oh the audience, Patty, You guys, we know it.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's a disconnect with the writers or you're in a different place in the process than the audiences.
Speaker 4: Who the audience would be like, we'll take ten more serious.
Speaker 2: They probably would. You're right, But also the way we've built it, we don't have a writer's room. Most shows have a writer's room. They have other writers. Even just the other day, I was walking to friend Sarah Scheller, who did Strife.
Speaker 4: Oh right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: She was like, yeah, anyway, our story editor this, And I'm like, what's the story editor? We needed that? What the hell?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: We should have had a story editor?
Speaker 2: Have you and Patty just us every word, every idea, every plot, And so I thought, and one day I remember in season two were like, he needs to be a third person we can share this with, and then they kind of brought on like a script coordinator, but it felt more like pages admin, right, like this isn't helpful, so goodbye. But if we had someone like a story at it a going, I just I'm not sure you've actually tied up Brett's thing, or I'm not sure if you've thought about ending it this way, like someone who's really in the story with us, who cares and is a talented writer probably on their own right. But we just didn't have that person. So it's little things like that we probably could have helped ourselves.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm given you maybe longevity, more longevity with it, because it's not like the fuel in the candle is not just coming from you too.
Speaker 2: Yes, However, when you then invite people in, you've got to manage them. And there's something so clean about me and Patty there's no one to manage. And if he has a dad idea, I just go. And if I have a dad idea, it's whereas if we're in a ten writers room, you might be like, oh my god, Kate, that's such a good let's put it on the board, put it on board, and we're going to think about that and then let's break for lone. And there's just wasted energy, yes, whereas there's an economy of truth that you two just give me a look like we're not doing that. And but that being said, because we aren't able, because we're mental, we're unable to outsource. It means that we control everything and that is a blessing and a curse because we're proud of everything because we picked it. But then everyone just goes with Patty and Harry fucking pick it anyway. So I think it doesn't give people as much ownership over some of their jobs as maybe they'd have another jobs. Right, it doesn't make any sense. Yes, yes, yes, And everyone works so hard, but they know that at the end we'll probably pick it. So sometimes I think we need to release the reins and go you just do it, But then we go, oh, that wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Sorry, But outside of the show, you now have two daughters. Yes, this is the other thing. And Patty was talking when we spoke, which was the the day after the pres mirror of Priora here, and he was talking about like the necessity of with you two working the way that you're working that you need help. Yeah, but that's also comes at a cost, it does. It's a similar as kind of thing that you need to relinquish a certain amount of control.
Speaker 2: And so the best version of that is I work or he works. Because the hours on set are so long, you do need someone keeping the home fires burning and Colin we're both out, Yes, so the kids every season we've obviously had to have a nanny because daycare isn't open, and also sickness and stuff.
Speaker 3: And you need a you want that constancy of care as well. That's someone that the girls feel.
Speaker 2: Exactly, but it's not just feels a bit icky to leave in the dark, come back in the dark and and yeah there's just a parent missing, yes, and you're it's something you feel you're missing as well. Yeah, of course. Yeah, there's been times, especially in Canada in Montreal, I was working heer razy hours and we had the most beautiful au pair and we met her actually in Melbourne because Patty had done this Apple show just before Montreal. So basically the last eighteen months we've been like Carnie's. Yes, Maybel was born twelve days later, Patty had to go to Melbourne and then we followed when the passport was ready. And so we're in Melbourne for about five months, Montreal for five months, Sydney for seven and we're going to get back to la and Maybel will be eighteen months old and she hasn't been in her home since you was six weeks old. That's just not how you envision no nesting.
Speaker 4: No, that's true.
Speaker 2: But also Mabel's so delicious, know anything, She's a.
Speaker 4: Joni must know, that's it.
Speaker 2: So Johnny's almost five and yet thing's got a bit hairy. In Montreal when I just felt really far from her, I felt that our opair was so in her life that I felt you can't replace a mum. But I wished for more closeness, you know, and that was But all you can also wish for is that they're close with the person caring for them. Of course, like the other day, our nanny here left and Mabel cried, and the ego goes, don't cry. Mom's here. Yes, yes, but actually it's good yes, because it means she loves her, yes, And that means you're leaving them with someone who they love.
Speaker 3: And it is you do think, I mean, you have to surrender parts of yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've got four yes.
Speaker 3: And I've had a very similar you know, with I think every working mother is confronted with the same yes of dilemma. It is, and a part of you surrenders to the notion or rises to the notion that the more people that love your children, yeah, the better. But it doesn't mean that it's not yeah, and that sometimes you think, oh, this isn't right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Jonie was so little when season one started, and the other day she walked into her our room and I thought, God, she's so big, she's so tall, and her whole life we've been sharing her our brains between her and Colin from accounts. In the last four and a half years, we've made three seasons of television. We've written all twenty four episodes and sat in the edit every day, which is also different, and brought two girls up. And that's a really full time. Plus DMV plus American Honor plus Last Scene plus Prior U plus evil just these jobs, right, Yes, and that's why it's time to just take a bit of consolidate and Yeah. When Joanie was about five weeks old, they said we're going to do it. We're making Colin, You've got to write the back four episodes right now, and we didn't have any family support or any help in LA and we had to quickly write them. She was like four months when we started shooting. She rolled over for the first time in the edit stuff like that, and she's kind of none the wiser. She knows she's got two very loving parents. I don't think she feels like some sort of TV often, No, but I just want to be there a bit more right now.
Speaker 3: When Patty was talking about the when he fell in love with you really or when we realize that you were in love with each other, and one of the things that I gleaned from him was your capacity to care about people.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice. I do care, but yeah, you do care. But everybody does, though, don't they?
Speaker 3: M Yeah, some people make care but don't necessarily had the capacity to enactor.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yes? I come from the very demonstratively loving family, like love you all the time.
Speaker 3: Right, And that changed things for him. I gathered in his emotional.
Speaker 2: I think possibly yeah state yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And what but you two had met in twenty twelve, was it one Moody No.
Speaker 2: That was funny. Someone wrote that we never shared that.
Speaker 4: Had you worked together before.
Speaker 2: We hadn't shared that screen. He was in it, and I was like a glorified extra. Yeah I hadn't. I don't think he was on that day. I think I in Meadows and oh Jane Harbor might have been having some It was a bit where I had to kiss a boy. It was horrible. It was like that man was lovely, but it was like Jungle was up coming kind of comedy people, and I'd done an ad with Trent, the director who is now like our kids godfather, and it was like a funny bit for a girl to be really making out in airport line, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And anyway, it was a horrible day. It's on set because he wasn't my boyfriend, this guy, but no, Patty wasn't in that.
Speaker 3: No, No, we're annoying from my rom com, my desire for a rom com.
Speaker 4: That's like really devastating.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't meet then. It was much much later. But yeah, we we worked together first I think no activity, oh right, no activity?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and then was there How was your relationship then? You were mates? You were yeah, like who felt the first free song. I don't really know, okay, but not at the initial meeting or in no we met.
Speaker 2: No we met, Like I think I served him at a cafe at some point and I recognized him from an insurance commershal Like. It wasn't love at first sight. It was just like, yeah, in each other's orbit. Yeah, but he he's just a wonderful dude. He's a great dad, and he keeps me from kind of flying off, like I am an anxious character and he is a stoic, centered character. And so there's an when I say, came in person, yes, and so there is his character is yes, exactly, yes he is. He has more kind of wait to him ballast his emotional his bowl is centered and mine spills out all over the place.
Speaker 3: But it's a it's a very yin and yang. Yeah, i'd say so sort of recipe.
Speaker 2: And I can tell when he needs to kind of spin off a bit, and I go, I'll be balast then, because there's only so.
Speaker 3: Much like Prada. I imagine you had to be ballast when Prada happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit, but that was fine. That was just like a thing came out. I mean, the thing is. It came out in the middle of We wrapped on a Friday. God after doing this massive, the massive eight episodes of Colony, wrapped on a Friday, had a wrap party on the Saturday right and then he flew Sunday morning for the Pomiere and we had a necessary week off or something before we then went into the edit. So Prada was big on a world stage, but it was something that just slotted into our month. And then he came back and we got into the edit of Colin and that ended a week ago, and he shot it while I was working in Montreal. That was the hardest part.
Speaker 4: Actually, And you were with Mabel. I think I.
Speaker 2: Brought Mabel across from Melbourne to Montreal. He still had to shoot some in Melbourne. He stayed with Jonie and the OA pair. It came over, then he went straight to New York. It wasn't well designed. It's been a crazy year. But yeah, when he needs it, I'm ballast.
Speaker 3: So when you're you know, when you're talking about all of these moving parts, the building block, the basic building block is you and Patty. And when you're in a relationship that your husband and wife and your producers and your writers and your parents. How do you serve the marriage?
Speaker 2: How do we or do you?
Speaker 3: Is there a sense, you know, when you're you know you love someone and you know them very well and you're building something together.
Speaker 2: Is there a sense that we're fine? Will tend to this later? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I think we laugh a lot, and he's good at reminding me to laugh. And it's really good when we catch each other off guard and like we might be having a absolute shitter, like it's five forty eight, the kids are screaming, and we'll just like do some silly latsy to each other behind the kitchen counter about just like ending at all, and that's funny. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's little moments like that. But also I can see when the water is rising on him and I'm like, do you need to take the dog for a walk or do you want to go call up a friend and have dinner? Like we just need to make space, I think with one, I mean, you'd know this from four, but you know it's the more children and the more pressures, it's harder to go. Excuse me, can I go to? Like the gym is over? I still love the gym and now I just can't. I can't justify it.
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 2: Oh, it doesn't matter anymore? Just wasting really no, I like just anything, I really I get in doorphins. That's where I get my anxieties out. I've always gone to the gym for the head, not the bods so much. Yeah, I can, but we try to make space for that. But yeah, when it's been like, for example, the shoot, they're thirteen fourteen hour days and the weekends just have to be the girls. But occasionally I'm like, go up to the gym for an hour and got to make room for each other otherwise we'll go crazy. Yeah, but also like we're pretty quiet people. Like we love reading, we love doing the Sunday or Saturday Sunday quiz with Martini when the girls have gone to bed. It's not a crazy life.
Speaker 4: Who gets the most right answers quis tiny.
Speaker 2: I've been pretty good lately. I think I've been surprising us both. But he is generally smarter. He's also a bit older than that. Yes, he's got we're both do you know what I mean? We're both year of the Dragon, twelve years apart. But he is a bright boy. He also like studied law for three years. I've never set foot in a uni. I'm kind of a bit of a but I know lots of things that he doesn't like. Music and stuff. Ah, yeah, that'd be where I shine.
Speaker 3: We'll be back with more from Harriet Dyer after this short break, after this period where you're sort of I'm going to say, lie Fallow, but you won't be You'll be plowing the field of your family. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, winter, I'm calling it a mental window.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great, come through. Yeah, so you can have a beautiful spring.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: What will you do? What will the next project be?
Speaker 3: Because I think you've said you and Patty want to do something that is not necessarily comedic.
Speaker 2: We definitely have some drama stuff in us. We also want to write something that maybe is drama heavy but still funny. I haven't seen that Widow's Bay one, but people say that does a good oh right. I also just think, well, Colin was very much like that.
Speaker 4: To be honest.
Speaker 3: There's a scene that like my favorite of yours, when you had your wisdom teeth out. Oh yeah, oh my goodness. That was so I cried. I laughed and I cried because it was a very beautiful, tender. Yeah it was tender. It was really tender. But also your comedic stick is Lucille Ball. Seriously, thank you, really accomplished and beautiful and truthful and takes you places that you're not anticipating to go. So I think Colin already had that, had that gravitask yes.
Speaker 2: A dozen times, like when I called his dad a fuck with that that was really shocking. It was so and very sad. And then they played Paul Kelly. How mean.
Speaker 4: What did make of it?
Speaker 2: I don't actually know, but he said, yes, he let us. You know, we try to put a lot of Aussie singers in, but we we also kind of love horror. What we do know is that we're going to write something again. It can't be another rom com. We can't just also just keep wheeling out our chemistry and like right we we we have to write a movie soon actually for a big company have been waiting for years that is a comedy, like for both of you will be in it. Yeah, yeah, right, so we have to. You can't change your chemistry.
Speaker 4: No, why would you?
Speaker 2: No, we wouldn't want to.
Speaker 4: But I really could dye your hair black.
Speaker 2: But I mean, like we don't want to keep playing will they won't they? Right? I mean maybe we could do will they? Wait they in another period? You know, we can just change the world. Like we've got ideas that don't live in this modern romantic world, which is fun kind of just a bit bigger. We've got a few more epic ideas, right, but the past, not the future.
Speaker 4: Not the future. No one wants to go to the future now.
Speaker 2: Literally, I don't want to be here now. No, the future is too scary. But we've got some pasty things. But also I think what's ahead for Patty and I would be good if he and I did that thing where we get an acting job independent. Yeah, so we can go how is your day? Because I wasn't just there for the whole thing, because I know his whole day. Even this, I'm like, we've been doing press all day for Colin. He's now doing something else and I'll get to ask him, how was it you having a nice time?
Speaker 3: Well, even get to miss him a bit having done this. He knows what you're doing doing. He's experienced this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it'd be good to tell each other some stories.
Speaker 4: It is get a bit of yes.
Speaker 2: Whatever that is it is come back together and.
Speaker 3: Writes nice to bring the outside world into your relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because people go, oh, my work wife, my work husband, and it's like your real work husband looks so much like my real husband. Weird, but it's good. Like I think if you I married the right person to do this with, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And I like to think he did too. I think good. I think he thinks that. When he had done Prata and you were in the audience that night, there was such cha a lovely response to you being in the audience, which was just kind of this, you know. Tita went through the audience and then it was like Harry, people going, oh Harry. It was a sort of good hey Harry, sort of hair and you gave a kind of.
Speaker 2: You know, he did a little shout out, which was yeah, it was really cute.
Speaker 3: Do you feel a difference in Australia when you're out and about and on the street, like do you get.
Speaker 2: There was a bit more. It came out around April April May was weird, just a few more lookie louse. I think I fly under the radar. So if I'm out without him, especially without hair and makeup, no one right, I don't know. I'm right under and that's how I like it. But Patty kind of just looks like Paddy yeah all the time. So I'm with if I'm with him, I do notice it. But yeah, it's weird because on a weekend we try to get out and about with the girls and there's a few LOOKI louse. And it's not weird though, And Australians are so kind of cool and there's that no one you know, to all popping on likes anyone to be too. No, no, everyone's pretty cool about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, but in America because we would have been there for eighteen years.
Speaker 2: But I do think because that's a massive it is a big jump.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big jump, and it's the perception around it is different as well.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we work in we live in kind of like a neighborhood with there's a lot of writers and so yeah, and so I think people notice have noticed us from Colin around our neighborhood and they're much more of a both So come and be like I love your show and you're like, oh, thank you. But I think maybe if we went to Beverly Hills, no one would know. It's like it's different, there's different crowds. Actually, that's not true. Like I booked a table for me and my parents about two years ago in Beverly Hills at this little restaurant they love, and they were like, my mum checked in and they said, is that the actress Harriett died? And I was like, absolutely, thrown anyone on rodeo drive. So that is a There's sometimes things, but I think I'm a little bit blind to that stuff and maybe to.
Speaker 4: Protect to keep the channel clear.
Speaker 2: Sometimes my friends will be like, oh, they're looking at you, and I don't notice it. But I think that's an unconscious protection. It's my dad's leg. Yeah, I don't want to know. Also, I don't think it very interesting. You know who does.
Speaker 4: Well, there is an appetite for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's an appetite for people to know stuff about Patty and I because we work as a couple and so I do feel very protective of that, very protective of the girls as well. Yes, And that's like you know before when we were talking about Hills You Die on like that was a bit of preemp Like I'm pretty protective of them, and yeah, anyone would be. That's mama bearshit, that's that's a good hill today. It's a good hill to die, just like I don't know just our story, their story, that's the stuff that is just for us, which I think is.
Speaker 4: Which he shared.
Speaker 3: You know, when we were talking about when he first told you that he couldn't have his own children.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, his own from his own bodily, his.
Speaker 2: Own bodily function.
Speaker 4: He couldn't carry the children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he can't get pregnant, he doesn't carry them. And then he got quite emotional, I think.
Speaker 3: In talking about how not not This wasn't his initial response, but I interpreted as the whole thing about how very matter of fact you were about that, because for him, that's a big thing to say to a woman. Yes, it could be a deal breaker, and for you it wasn't a deal breaker. It was like a deal maker because you're like, Okay, this is what we'll do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it wasn't more of a deal breaker because logically or on paper, that would be. But we were just selling love that I was like, well, that's our lot. If that's his lot and he didn't choose this and I choose him, then that's who I chose, and so I didn't feel. Yeah, there were certain people around me going, but are you sure. You know that's a big thing to like say no to, But really it's I'm also saying yes to something else, which I think has been really powerful. And yeah, I wouldn't change any of it.
Speaker 3: It was very powerful for him as well. Yeah, because it unlocks parenthood unlocks in most people, it unlocks a different capacity in you, it does, Yeah, and in him he spoke about really feeling that he'd been given things from the treasures of the world that he would not have had otherwise, and it was very beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When you look at your body of work, do you think it's affected by you.
Speaker 4: Being a mum?
Speaker 2: Oh? Like the depth of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think I've had to really call upon.
Speaker 4: Stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: For example, his performance in this Apple show coming up, last scene comes out I think on Apple in September. I'm spoaking another show of Patres. I can see the father in him, right, Yeah, he's unbelievably beautiful in that. I don't think I've done a role yet as a mom that has lent itself to needing that kind of way. Haven't haven't cleared it. I haven't got I haven't had like the drama thing, right, But what it has done is I'm definitely like it's even just in any work, you know, comedy, I.
Speaker 4: It's it's enriched.
Speaker 2: It enriches everything because I take it all a little bit less seriously, maybe because I've got this bigger thing at home.
Speaker 4: Because what you're doing has to be worth it, yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and so I don't whittle it away. I go, well, if I'm here, I'm gonna really good because if I'm here, I'm not with them, so it better be good. Butter be better, better enjoy it. Where sometimes when you work with people without kids, they can really get it stuck in the weeds and stuff. It's like, you know, I've got a shout out, can we just do it? Make it good? Go like, but I haven't. No, it hasn't kind of I haven't used it. So to speaking to the drama stuff, yeah, to say what that stretch. I'm a bit funny about using kind of with technical acting stuff, especially if you're doing something drama. I'm a bit funny about thinking about.
Speaker 4: People real things.
Speaker 2: Like Amanda Sefried's talked about this with OCD like she will never think about her children if she's doing something sad, like it just feels a bit like there's some bad magic snare. And I think I was already doing some big dramatic performances, like I did a big one in Wakefield where I had I was playing with someone with bipolar and I was in a home like an institution, and I'm proud of that, and that.
Speaker 4: Was before kids. I think I've always had a.
Speaker 2: There's a place I can pull from, and at that place, probably I don't know, hasn't been tested. But I definitely see the father in Patty's performance in September when that comes out, because also he's playing a dad who's lost something. But I don't know, there's funny. Yeah, I don't want to. You don't want to like think of something that couldn't happen, or you can just kind of try to be technical about it or listen like to a really sad song to get himself to the place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rather than compromise a real person or something.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. I think I think just you, I think I'm maybe more strong physically that kind of stuff. You know, we all get stronger and in the brain and the boarders.
Speaker 3: Not if we don't go to the gym the gym, this is true, that's I missed the gym.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe they.
Speaker 4: Go to the gym and also get it put in your contract.
Speaker 2: I should have asked for a treadmill a stationary bike on the set.
Speaker 4: That's why you noticed what that guy asked for.
Speaker 2: But you know what, he's fit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, and he's got a big TV.
Speaker 2: My god, he got it done.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, you could be watching yourself on the big TV.
Speaker 2: Probably should.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, when you think about the future and it's with UK, thank you, I'm very happy to running away together. But you know, there's a thing I remember my mate Angus Sampson was talking about his boys not wanting them to grow up with an American accent.
Speaker 2: Addington and Montgomery. There you go, I know, those little fellas. Yeah, do you have a similar thing for the girls? Do you have a pull to Australia or And I know that you're at the moment you don't really have time to be anywhere. Yeah, that's an interesting one because Angus's kids are his and Miranda's kids. Right, our kids are half Africa. They're born in Tampa, Florida, and they are African American. You've got well half, so I don't feel as proprietorial over their cultrol exactly right. I actually think probably I've done something right if they don't sound strong for them. But we do have an eye to move to Sydney again, right, So we're just we're just working on that on what that looks like. Obviously Australia is much safer place.
Speaker 4: To bring up kids, right, Easier.
Speaker 2: Easier, our parents are here, our siblings are here, so we're coming back accent or not, right, but I wouldn't have ever gone. I don't want them to sound American because they have American passports. Yeah, right, of course they're so American.
Speaker 3: And then what do you That's an interesting thing that when you've got children who have a culturally different background, how do you serve that or do you have you thought about that year?
Speaker 2: How you totally it's an interesting one. Like Joanie has they both have really textured hair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've had to learn.
Speaker 2: I've had to learn. My mum's got an afro, she's there to go. It's a different it's so different. Maybel still is just a baby, so we leave hers but Joni, like, everywhere we go, we make sure we find a black hair stylist that she's comfortable with, and we make we give her people. I don't want a white person to have a go. If it's not me, I'll have a go. But then I want her to be in the right hands, with the right products, with the right techniques. And we've managed to find them everywhere we've been, Like, we had an amazing woman on my set in Montreal who was working on the show, so Johnny's got to come to set and see in the trailer, which is also pretty cool. Fine, but right now we've got this awesome woman in night Junction, Westfield. You just did a corn Rose yesterday. But we just make sure that that's taken care of. But it's tricky because we do feel a responsibility for them to grow up in a space where there's some color reflected. Yes, you know, like I don't know what school that is yet in Sydney, Patty and I have always wanted to live in the East, but like, oh my goodness, I don't know if that's reflected there.
Speaker 4: It also like sometimes I think the children will show you the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I will say it's in our minds. We don't want them to sea. Like the other day, Johnny said to me, I want to go to school with people who have hair like me, and like that that hits yeah, and I'm like, well, you know, we're going back to La Bubba and we'll see there because I don't want her to feel too different. But then you've got you've got places like International Grammar School where it's such a bix of like Australians Astralia, it's so diverse. It's just that so happens. Where we're living in Sydney right now is smelt and that's our folly. I don't know what the word is, it's an f We fucked up. But she's okay, she's four and we are on it. But I think it would be silly for us to transplant them and just PLoP them right in the middle of some super white.
Speaker 4: Sup and act like it's nothing yeah.
Speaker 2: And be like we don't see color. It's like, well, that's actually not good enough. You think that that's like anti racist, but it's not like you've got to see color because they see color and they want to see it around.
Speaker 3: And also coming from the States that has just a broader color palette generally is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, La is pretty pretty segregated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ra interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we haven't even nailed it there. Yeah, but we are working on it, and I think as long as we're aware of.
Speaker 4: It, are they do they show?
Speaker 3: I mean, Mabel's too young, but is Joni performance oriented at all?
Speaker 2: Last night we did a little bit of acting right because said I said, I'm going to act something out. I was just being silly, like a charade's there, and she goes on my turn to act and she's so funny. She is very outgoing. She's not shy. She's not Harry behind the leg. No, she's Joanie and she she's a CEO.
Speaker 4: That girl, I don't know.
Speaker 2: She just came out that way. Mabel's a lot more attached to me. She's just more shy, and so we'll just see how that goes. I saw this beautiful thing was it was on bloody Instagram, but it was John c Riley talking about parents.
Speaker 4: Did you see that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, what do you say?
Speaker 2: So before he became a parent, So now I'm just stealing his podcast. He thought nature know it, she would be like fifty to fifty. Then his girls came out and he was like, no, you are you are you, and you are you? Yes, And I can't nurture you into being this or that, right, I just have to take care of who you are and pay attention to it. And so I just sometimes JOONI can be really gregarious and a little bit too much of a handful, and it's on me to just try not to give that like negative words like I want to nurture that into something that she's proud of, and yeah, she just that's her strength rather than exactly rather than I'm annoying or something.
Speaker 3: I do think children are like a packet of mystery seeds. Oh yeah, that's good, and really put them in the ground. You don't know if you're going to get a sunflower or but I think you can. You can't make a child because like you see, they are what they already are, But you can break a child one hundred.
Speaker 2: The nurse on our set is our mascot on colin. Her name is Nurse Virginia, and she said you can break a spirit out of a child, but you can't put it in and you knock it out or something. But with that mystery seeds, I think that's really apt for everyone, but especially for adoption. We can't even go, oh, that's dad's nos, No, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yes, And so the.
Speaker 2: Mystery Seeds is so exciting because it's all different and it's brilliant, and I think there's something really cool about because I don't know the opposite. I don't know what it's like to be like that's so you yeah right, But also now.
Speaker 3: You don't necessarily get that anyway, by the way, with the genetic lottery, you don't necessarily see a reflection of anything that you know.
Speaker 2: And that his friends are just like produce their husbands to god, that's right at least. I just I've just got this mystery packet. But it's really cool and I do oh yeah, I think motherhood is really interesting. It just keeps presenting more and more wells think about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a huge stretch.
Speaker 2: And everyone talks about the newborn. It's like that's yeah, that's easy. Yeah, compared to like, how do you don't you about you don't.
Speaker 4: Have two teenage girls yet? Yeah? Girl, See this is the thing.
Speaker 3: I'm not even girls are Look, I think girls are complex. Three boys and one girl, oh yeah, and the three boys combined were a walk in the park compared to girly well, yeah, but who's great now?
Speaker 2: But there was a period how old is she now?
Speaker 3: She's twenty one? Oh wow, yeah adult And at the time where we were really kind of so shocked because you always hear these people are like teenage girls.
Speaker 4: And I was always like, e not going to happen.
Speaker 3: To ask Yeah, well, it's you know, light life, it's ultimately it's going to humble you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and god yeah. And now she's kind of come out the other end.
Speaker 3: But I remember this friend of mine saying we were living in Italy at the time, and this Swedish mum who had an older daughter, kept saying to me, don't shut the door, Katie, don't shut.
Speaker 4: The door on her.
Speaker 3: And sometimes I was like, Joanna, I not only want to shut the door, I want to put every piece yeah, and put every piece of furniture I've got in that. And it's really beautiful now, but it is The stretch continues, gosh, girl, it's great, but it's not easy. But I can't think of anything good that is easy. Exactly can you two minute noodles?
Speaker 4: I don't think they're good.
Speaker 2: They're not good for you. I don't think they're good, so they really me up right now?
Speaker 3: Free?
Speaker 2: I am it helps with my endometrios has.
Speaker 4: Heard of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, helps with the end Have you always known?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I got surgery about good Lord about eighteen months ago, just before Mabel was born, and they were like, oh, and you know, the only way they can really tell that you've got it is getting in there. And he was like, and when I woke up. We took about eight nine and they took my appendix.
Speaker 4: Oh they took Europe.
Speaker 2: It looked busted and Endo can hit the appendix. But then they tested it and it was fine. I was like, oh, put it back, like Chinese medicine wants that back in, you know, but they took it. I was a bit cross. Have you noticed anything? What do you mean do you feel different since the surgery? I was really good for about six months, and then the pain and the really bad period started again. So then I got an I U.
Speaker 4: D right, did help? Yes?
Speaker 2: I mean it's just put It's like ever played a piano with the muton? Yeah? Yeah, you know they've just muted, just muted my system, which is also a bit scary because I know something's Brilly, I've got a chronic condition.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what I have noticed is if even with the idea, if I'm not on, if I don't eat gluten, I have less pelvic pain. Right. Soon's listening. They've got pelvic pain right, And it's not digestive. It's definitely of the inflammation. Yeah, but it's boring. But yeah, it was just a weird time. I was like, I just I'm suffering. These periods are nuts.
Speaker 4: What do you eat now?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 4: What do you say? Rice? Is okay?
Speaker 2: I eat everything just like GF?
Speaker 4: But not oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Like today we had an avocado toast. It was GF.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And does everyone eat what you eat now?
Speaker 2: Do you? I sometimes make different pasta for me, but I don't really. I mean, it's a weird time.
Speaker 4: Are you a cook?
Speaker 2: Not really?
Speaker 4: I'd like more. No, it were too busy.
Speaker 2: But we all to Matilda Brown's company, the good Food Company. I'm just gonna give them a big Oh. I've spent so much money at that company. And they that's gluten free and that's freezing meals and we just have lived. We live because I spoke to her mum on no Filter, I love that whole family. Bryan Brown can stay. I love that man. I love Rachel, don't know her, love Matilda. But yeah, they they take care of us. That they don't take it, but that takes care of our family.
Speaker 4: That food good.
Speaker 2: Because it's really good food and it is gluten free. And then you might put a rice or something with that. But I liked cooking before life got crazy. Yes, i I'm like Patty called me. I'm the zen chef. I don't need the recipe recipe, but I'm more feel also like doing a bit of that.
Speaker 3: You know what's in the cupboard? Oh wow, I think cupboard surprise. This is like a little bit like your approach to life, is it? Don't you think that? You're like when when? When this is in season? This is what we'll do?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: I try to be yeah, there's no control in this. This has been the biggest lesson of my vocation is that I've got girlfriends who are like, should we do Italy for our fortieth or like will you be in my wedding? And I'm like, I've never I can never say yes.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: We just have to keep going where the tide takes us. And now it's getting a little harder as the kids get bigger, but like I have to kind of be a happy cork.
Speaker 4: On the tide.
Speaker 2: But now I am plan the water down a little. Yes, you have a plan a little bit. But you know what, we could get an email tomorrow that changes all that, Like, oh, they like you for this, but we werrice if you don't get an email, I'd like an email, but in a minute. Let's call it in a minute, you know.
Speaker 3: You know, there's also the concept, Harry of saying no, that you can plan.
Speaker 4: What you want.
Speaker 3: You can go to the calendar and put in your girlfriend's fortieth yea, and then work around that.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I would like to know it's my sister's fortieth and September, but Patty's on his world tour for last scene, right, like whatever it's called last scene. Yeah, and I can't surprise her and Sydney, right because they will have no parents. He's doing like New York. So it's two it's two people's craziness too.
Speaker 4: How your sister directed, yeah.
Speaker 2: Madeline, yeah four, she's amazing.
Speaker 4: In Colin So it's a real family.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My dad and my brother were also extras in a bait and there's a man choir and they sing and oh that's c and Mum probably would love to be in it. Sorry, Mum, she's desperate it. You know what, I really fucked that up there.
Speaker 4: You've got to come back to another series.
Speaker 2: Dad was an extra in season one two and she was like, right, but Mom deserves to be that. But she would. She probably lose sleep over it. It's so stressful being on camera if you're not.
Speaker 4: Used to it.
Speaker 2: She could be an extra, yeah, she could be, but she's not. But also they live in Townsville. It's a whole I know the producers. I slept with them and so does she. Yeah, she bore me. Horrett Dire, you're a piece of gold. That's very nice of you.
Speaker 4: Thank you for.
Speaker 3: You did something really beautiful with Colin, which is showed the rest of the world a type of Australian philosophy that I think is really lovely. Yeah, you know, perfect in it's imperfection. Yeah, messy, massy, but got heart, a lot of heart. That's what we were going for. And we spoke to someone today said that some of the characters, they find them a bit mean, and I thought, oh, maybe that's just.
Speaker 2: Your where you're.
Speaker 4: But they've got everyone.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of warmth.
Speaker 4: Everyone's got mean in them. Everyone's got mean, and.
Speaker 2: Mean is like safe in a way. I hope it's not too mean. Is it too mean?
Speaker 3: I think if it was too mean, people wouldn't love it the way they do. Yeah, but I think it is refreshing to see people that allow themselves that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be a bit grootdy yeah yeah, and like to cause someone's stat of fuck with and then he dies. Do you know what I mean? It's like, yeah, but thank you. We definitely tried to just, I don't know, do something, do something different.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That also felt kind of I don't know of people of the vernacular, did it.
Speaker 4: Were you surprised by the reception?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hugely. We just remember we walked out of the edit in season one, watching the sunset over annandale backpacks on our shoulders and were like, we have no idea if that's any good, but we like it. And that was how we ended that, and then they asked for more and we feel a bit similar now, but no, we're just so excited to get it out there now because it's just it feels like it feels like we're I've never been pressed, but I feel about forty eight.
Speaker 3: Weeks right, it's an elephant gestation out yeah, right, I have a horrible feeling you're going to do something heartbreaking. Don't tell me you're okay, am I okay, okay, it's safe to love safe.
Speaker 2: You're okay, Okay, You're okay.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Harry, I love you.
Speaker 2: Oh. I shouldn't have been scared.
Speaker 4: You shouldn't have been scared. Oh.
Speaker 3: One of the things I loved about this conversation was Harry's honesty about success because from the outside, her career, like many.
Speaker 4: Successful people's careers, could look.
Speaker 3: Effortless, but behind it are years of rejection, uncertainty, hard work, and a willingness to keep putting herself in uncomfortable situations even when she was scared.
Speaker 4: It's also a reminder.
Speaker 3: That some of the best creative partnerships aren't.
Speaker 4: Built on perfection. They're built on.
Speaker 3: Trust, curiosity, and finding someone who believes in you as much as you believe in them. The third and final season of Colin from Accounts is streaming now. If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you follow no Filter wherever you're listening and Mumma Mea subscribers get to hear it first. Every episode of No Filter drops two full days before regular listening, exclusive for subscribers. Plus, you get access to subscriber exclusive episodes across the Mumma Mea Network. Tap the link in the show notes and become a Mumma Mea subscriber. To day, I'm your host, Kate Lanebrook, Thank you so much for listening to No Filter.