Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging and feel privileged to continue the sharing of birth stories and knowledge that has been a fundamental part of Indigenous culture. Hi. I'm Cassenia Lukic and this is diary of a birth. Today's story is a rare one. The challenges of people with the disability are seldom spoken about in Australia, let alone mothers living with a spinal cord injury. But in speaking about it today, I was in awe of the way today's mum overcame the obstacles in her path.
Speaker 1: You've got to adapt in many ways, I guess, to get things done. It's not necessarily the physical, like not having been able to walk, But there's so much more to having a spinal cord injury. And i'd beg part that is that you have a neurological bladder and DAO.
Speaker 2: And did so with the sense of humor.
Speaker 1: So I've gone to the bathroom, I've gone to put a catheter in, and as I've gone to put a catheter in I could just feel his head, so his head was just there and I just started screaming on the toilet.
Speaker 2: So let's meet her now.
Speaker 1: Hi, my name is Georgia Inglis and this is my dary of a bath with little Austin.
Speaker 2: Georgia Inglish is an Australian wheelchair basketball player. She was part of the Australian women's national wheelchair basketball team and is a Commonwealth Games silver medallist. But her proudest moment was, of course becoming a mum in the face of so many challenges because Georgia suffered a tragic spinal cord injury as a child.
Speaker 1: I acquired my spinal cord injury when I was ten years old. So we were in there a backyard of a neighbor's house and pro'll be doing things that we shouldn't have, playing around with a lawnmower. I often say that my accident was a preventable accident, but a very wise woman who once told me that I guess anything is preventable. Literally with this second, things can change, So it is what it is. But yeah, I was run over by a rather lawmower, so just a tractor in our neighbor's backyard by a young boy who was driving. So my spun I've got injury resulted in a teach one complete paraplegic, So that pretty much means like no feeling from below the waist.
Speaker 2: After this life altering event, she built an incredible mindset in her love of sport. It was in her blood.
Speaker 1: I got to learn, I guess how to adapt and minimize my disability, if that makes sense. So like I would make do I use the example of say my friend I'd be saying at her house and she would have stairs. I would just comb up the stairs is what we call it when they and she would carry my wheelchair. So like, I've just learned to adapt with my disabilities. I come from an extremely sportive family. I was always going to get into sports. After my accident. It was just kind of finding what sport that would be, and then yeah, I found basketball and it was life changing. When I went to basketball, you kind of surrounded with people who are very very similar to your disability, and then there's a lot of opportunities that come with playing sports. So I was able to go and travel to America and play overseas. So I went to the University of Alabama and I did my masters over there, which is probably my proudest moment with sport.
Speaker 2: But Georgia wanted a baby so much.
Speaker 1: We were trying for a while, and to be honest, I didn't really believe it. I a few years prior had a miscarriage, so it was something that didn't really feel real for the entire pregnancy, to be honest. But yeah, we were super excited. It didn't feel real for so.
Speaker 2: Long, so when it finds only happened, she was navigating a whole new world.
Speaker 1: My partner and I, like were known to be very, very cruisy, and we just didn't plan or do anything. We did all the main things for the pregnancy, But I guess when I very first found out I wasnant, I was searching, searching for what specialists or people that had had experience with people with a spinal cord injury, and I got talking to this lady. It was just a brief phone call at the start of the pregnancy, and she kind of was like telling me what to expect. And then part of that phone call was she did tell me she was like, you'd be amazed at what your body can do. It will just take over and give birth. And she was like, I've had experienced quadriplegics and they've done nothing and then able to give birth naturally. So she was like, if anything, I'm going to tell you, it's just go to the hospital when you're in labor because it will happen relatively quickly as your body will kind of just take.
Speaker 2: Over bathing in the glow of pregnancy. Georgia then ran into some complications.
Speaker 1: Throughout my entire pregnancy. I had a lot of kidney issues. So like I would say, my pregnancy was relatively smooth besides for a lot of having kidney issues. So as I use a capatter to go to the bathroom, so like that kind of leaves me vulnerable to infections and like euties, so obviously with a low immune system when you're pregnant, it kind of makes it ten times worse. So yeah, I experienced a lot of utiyes and there was a few times where it like went so quickly up into my kidneys, like I'm talking within the day. And that pain was the pain that I just cannot explain. It was pain that I've never experienced in my entire life, Like honestly, to this day. I've never had pain like that with the kidney infection, so I had to be hospitalized. I think it ended up being like three or four times throughout my pregnancy, which was pretty traumatic. And then on top of that, there was one time that was really really bad infection and my body started like because it was like, okay, I've just got to fight this infection. So like it was projecting Austin, so it was like, yeah, like spasmy like contracting almost to push Austin out to like fight this infection. So that was super, super traumatic. Besides for the kidney issues, my pregnancy was relatively normal.
Speaker 2: After overcoming her kidney infection. George's pregnancy was pretty conventional, and her and her partner Mitch, approached the whole process in a unique way.
Speaker 1: I guess we didn't really know what to expect because it's your first pregnancy, and I'm someone who didn't really look into it. I was just kind of like, okay, like I'll just go along and experience it as it is and I'm sure they'll tell me along the way. So my partner and I we went to baby bunting and this is like our first like like real shop that we were going to do, and we went in and we both just looked at each other and unbelievably overwhelmed, and we just walked out and we went to the tool shop next door and bought a dropsaw to like do like renovations instead. We thought that was more important. And like towards the end of my pregnancy, my mom kept she was like, Georgie, you don't have anything, like you need more than a pram and a bit like you need more stuff. So we were just very, very cruisy throughout the entire pregnancy.
Speaker 2: Georgia carried her breezy outlook the whole way through.
Speaker 1: So like when I get to my birth, that was kind of like could not have been more us if we tried. I was finishing up for my PhD, So I was just doing interviews, and I even had interviews on the day that I gave birth because we weren't planning to convert that day. My plan was to get induced the following week because so I was like a high risk pregnancy, and the doctors kind of wanted to, I guess, control what they could control, so they were going to plan to induce me and have me in there, and so like I thought I had a list time, so I hadn't packed a hospital bag, I hadn't done any thinking like that. The room wasn't really even set up yet. I just thought that I would get to it once I kind of switched off from my PhD and had the last day of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you, but I did not sleep well during my pregnancy at all, so Georgia waking up in the middle of the night didn't really cause her much concern.
Speaker 1: So I woke up at two am, and like, I just thought it was another you know, insomnia, and I had read about Braxton Higgs contractions because I started getting tight feelings over my belly and then on top of that, I started getting a very very similar pain to when I had kidney infections, so I was also thinking, Okay, it's probably another kidney infection. And then previous tobout what I would do is I would wait for my partner to wake up. He's terrible on nose, like terrible, so I was like, I'll wait for him to wake up. His alarm was five point thirty, so it was two AM, and I was kind of like just kind of like in pain, but kind of just like rolling with it and kind of going. I went into the lounge droom, and I was like part of me thought, oh, oh, maybe I am in labor, but then I was like, surely not. So then I've gone like to the bathroom and then like my waters had broken, but little did I know that at the time, And then on top of that, amitious plug later past, So like you think I would put two and two together, but I just didn't. I don't know why. So I just thought I pete myself. So I'm just like deal with that. And then it got to like four thirty maybe five ish, and like my belly was starting to tighten, but again, it wasn't what I pictured contractions to be like. And I'm sure that I couldn't feel actually what was going on in my body, so I just feel like it was very like on the surface contractions. So I started to like think, Okay, maybe I am in labor, like we seem sauce. So then I called the hospital and I just kind of told them some of like what was going on and about the like nucus plug and stuff like that, and I was like, Okay, bring your bag in, we'll just check you out. And in my head I was like, haven't you packed my bag? So it was like ten past five this stage, and I'm like, okay, shit, I'm going to pack my bag. So I'm like racing around the house like trying to pack my bag, and my partner wakes up and he was like, what's going on? And I was like, okay, so I've been up for the past few hours. I've called the hospital. They suspect I'm in labor, and he's like, why did you not breake me? Like what is wrong with you, Georga? And I was like, I just thought i'd let you sleep and like let your alarm go off. So then he's rased, had a shower. I couldn't think I haven't barely packed anything in the hospital bag. We got to the hospital and they've like taken us into the room, and I don't think they even really suspected that I was in labor. They just kind of, you know, where they checked the baby. So they've put like the thing to check his heart rate, and then they were started distress because his heart rate was really low.
Speaker 2: As her midwife was assessing her, Georgia was keen to know how far how long she was.
Speaker 1: So yeah, she's so casual, and she does the sweep and she kind of looks at me and I was like, well, am I in labor, Like what's going on? And then she calmly said to me, yes, you're about nine centimeters dilated. I started crying because I just hadn't mentally prepared and she was like why crying, and I was like, I'll just stop ready, like I'm not ready for him, and she was like, well he's coming regardless. So yeah. So then they like took us up to the room and they were just kind of waiting for me to be ready to start pushing, and I just was not interested yet, Like I was just like nope, Like I was just kind of hanging out for a little while. And then they explained to it, like they were like, Okay, maybe it's good to go empty your bladder before you start pushing. My partner and I laugh at this part of the story all the time. But so I've gone to the bathroom and I've gone to put a catheter in, and as I've gone to put a catheter in, I could just feel his head. Yes, so his head was just there and I just started screaming on the toilet and Mitch comes like running in and he was like, are you okay? And I was like, I can feel his heads, Like I could feel his head and he was like, well, I'm not really sure what you want me to do, but there is like four midwibes out there, so they came rushing in and they're like, okay, get on the bed, like we're going to start pushing. And then literally, as I've transferred onto the bed, the rest of my waters are broken, and it like it was like a movie scene. It was like just sprayed everywhere all over Midt.
Speaker 2: Given George's spinal cord injury, she doesn't feel labor the way that most women might, but after half an hour of pushing, she was close.
Speaker 1: Even with pushing, I didn't know whether I was pushing, so I pushed for twenty seven minutes, but like it was taking a while at one point, and you could see that they were getting stressed and I was like, I don't feel like I'm doing anything, and she was like, no, trust me. When you push, like something's happening, there is movements. So it was nice to get that reassurance from her. And then Austin Yeah, came into the world. So he arrived and it was a moment of relief, like he was here and just like absolute happiness. To be honest, Like I almost agree the first few minutes because it was like a bit of a shock to the systems. So they've like brought him up, and you know how they bring him up in.
Speaker 2: A rush like many of us, those first few moments with Austin aside were not as Georgia expected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they brought him off onto me and I kind of like was like, what is going on? And then I felt sick afterwards, so like my partner had to take him and do the skin in the skin and I was just recovering. I think it was like for like two hours.
Speaker 2: So after their first few nights and weeks together, the mama instincts took over.
Speaker 1: I guess maybe it's normal, but I had overwhelming anxiety in regards so I just had to protect him, which I'm sure as partly normal. And then what I've learnt later on is I just saw him as so vulnerable and then having my injury also when I was younger, I just it was like a little bit of a trauma, if that makes sense. Like I was just so I just wanted to protect him. And I was very, very, very stressed the first few days, if not months, to be honest, just because I guess anything could happen like it did with me, so I was. It was very heightened. I wish I couldn't say it was a beautiful time, but I was just so heightened and so stressed. And then Austin was like a severe colic baby for a few months, so and not knowing obviously anything about a newborn, it took me weeks to kind of realize that, like something wasn't right and this wasn't normal what we're experiencing, so like it was like a bit of a double whammy.
Speaker 2: As the storm settled, Georgia felt a deep sense of gratitude for her village and her love for Austin. She believes that village is vital for other mothers, but particularly those women with a disability.
Speaker 1: I'm so lucky. My partner is beyond amazing. I don't know what I would have done without him, So he was kind of like my stability and rock throughout that, especially the firstew weeks, both sides of the family, I guess help us. It's very like a shock to the system. A simple task just become so much more time consuming, and like you've got to adapt in many ways, I guess to get things done. I guess the one thing that I've learned is that they also will adapt, so your baby or your child adapts with you. And that's probably been the most amazing thing to experience. Like Austin is just so children, so happy. And I was actually talking to a friend about this, who's a quadriplegic, and he was saying how it's like his kids know, they know when to mic around and I guess misbehave with the parents and not too with another one. And that's been the really, really, I guess, cool thing about it.
Speaker 2: Georgia's story is very unique, so we've got Australia's favorite pediatrician, doctor Gollie on hand to break down the medical perspective on what their focus is when someone is giving birth without any feeling below the waist.
Speaker 3: Certainly, pregnancy and childbirth in particular present very unique challenges for women who do have a spinal cord injury. There are obvious reasons from a mobility point of view, but they also require specialized care and awareness about specific complications that may exist in those with a spinal cord injury. So the easiest way to think about it is to break it up to the pregnancy period and then the delivery. During the pregnancy, there is a condition called autonomic dis reflex out, which basically means that your autonomic system, which controls your heart rage, your blood pressure, all the things we don't have to think about, you can get sudden spikes in blood pressure that can occur, especially if we've got a spinal cord injury high T six above, et cetera, and that specific this reflex can be triggered by labor contractions or bowel issues bladder issues, which are very common in this population. The other thing which is really problematic is that there is reduced sensation, so you can't often feel things beneath certain levels, which means that well, at firstly you may not even recognize that you're going into labor, but there's also more incidence of UTIs you attact infections as well as pressure saws, your center of gravity. It all changes, and it just adds another layer of complexity to an already incredibly challenging thing. And also lung function, so breathing is a really important part of maintaining a healthy respiratory system is an important part of those with spinal cord injuries, and it's even harder if you can imagine the lungs are being squashed from the bottom up. And then specifically, if we focus on the delivery, as I said, detecting labor is a big thing, but then also pain relief is important. You know, it becomes just a little bit more complicated when we're talking epi drools for example, and the choice needs to be made between the pregnant woman and the obstetric team. Do you go for a vaginal delivery do you go for a caesar? And then there is the entire chapter as we discussed and heard with Georgia about the postpartum care, so every mom after delivery requires significant support. We are adding extra layers of complexity when it comes to those with a spinal cord injury and also just the ability to mobilize and care for not only yourself as the mum who's you're covering, but also a newborn too. As a final comment, I just want to say, I think it is just phenomenal how far we've come to see families have this opportunity. As we've heard with Georgia, Mitchen and Bay awesome, but with the right planning in preparation, anything is possible.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us on Diary of a Birth, where we celebrate all the amazing ways that we as women bring life into the world. If you'd like to share your birth story with us, we'd love to hear from you. Details are in the show notes. Diary of Birth was hosted by me Kasanya Lukisch with expert input from doctor Golly. Our executive producer is Tom Lyon, with audio production by Scott Stronach.