Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Mama Miya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously disturbed laurels for spraying groundbreaking? Oh my god, you have to do it. You live for fashion. Hello, and welcome to Nothing to Wear, the podcast that solves fashion problems and levels up your wardrobe. I'm Lee Campbell, and every week I talk to an expert who helps us work out how to get more out of the clothes we already own and tells us exactly what is and isn't worth adding to our wardrobes. Tina Abbi Seika is the founder of Style on Purpose, a platform dedicated to helping women build a wardrobe they love intentionally. She's all about shopping smarter, making your clothes work harder, and creating a personal style that actually fits your life. Now. The lovely Tina has joined me a few times before, but on this episode we are talking about mindful shopping, intentional shopping, not emotional shopping and impulse shopping, which I am really trying to lean away from. So her two by two rule and her rule of three and all her other wonderful tips are going to help all of us. Tina Lee, I feel like you're coming back to Australia more and more now, and I make sure you come here every single time. So thank you. Today's a big topic and one I think a lot of people need me included. But first, a couple of questions. Do you have something that comes to mind when I ask about your biggest fashion purchase? I do.
Speaker 2: Actually it's my vintage Chanel bag that.
Speaker 1: Did you get in Japan? Yes, I remember some My god, it's like you're at TV show I watch. I was so invested. Please share. Okay.
Speaker 2: So I was in Osaka in twenty seventeen and I had no idea that day. I've been a long time, it's teen a long time. I had no idea that there was a place called Orange Street in Asaka which has all of these vintage handbags and items. And Japan's quite known for having good quality vintage pieces. And someone DMed me and said you're going to Orange Street right? And then I wasn't, but I did, and there it was. I found this one. It was just the medium fla classic.
Speaker 1: And back then, I mean that's an investment, it's basically like you bought shares were a lot, I do.
Speaker 2: I do use her a lot. That's how I kind of positioned it to my then boyfriend now husband. But I said, this is going to go up in value and what that was?
Speaker 1: What eight years ago?
Speaker 2: Seven?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Good on you, thank you.
Speaker 1: She's a dream for me. Another quick question before we get into the topic, who, if anyone, or what is your style muse?
Speaker 2: I would say I have style news brands, so Dish comes to mind. I'm actually wearing Dish today and also odd Muse, which is a British brand doing big things. Both brands have very classic, timeless styles that mix and match in with their previous seasons as well. So I love that ethos.
Speaker 1: I love coming at it from a brand perspective that's very fresh, and it feels less tunnel vision than a person if that makes sense. It's a little bit more broad, but still you get a picture in your.
Speaker 2: Head exactly, and brands are starting to storytell.
Speaker 1: Yes and have some personality exactly. Now, Tina, I want to set the scene for anyone that doesn't know you. You've been on the show a losh and you are obviously. I mean, I feel like I followed you a long time before. The Japanese have known you for a We have known each other for a long time. But you started when you had a day job on Instagram as Trash to Treasured, and you were all about helping people buy great affordable clothing. Was it under one hundred and fifty dollars? Was that your caveat? Yes, and you've evolved over time and you're here to talk about that a little bit. But did you ever come up against people thinking, well, everything's under one hundred and fifty, so trash to Treasure, it's all about fast fashion, crappy quality, blah blah blah. I had a friend saying, you know, is that Teina girl all about fast fashion? This was ten years ago? But how did that start? And tell us that it wasn't And where's the evelation taking you?
Speaker 2: Well, the way it started was I didn't have a lot of disposable income and I just started my big girl job in my career back then, and I needed to look the part, and so I was looking for items that I could wear multiple times to work. But it wasn't going to blow the budget either, So I started to get really savvy about cuts and colors that went together that looked expensive but weren't really. And then I started to get invested in fabrics and start learning about all of that, and just started to learn how do you actually wear pieces day to day. It's all well and good if it's on a mannequin and all of that, and or if it was on sale, but how does it live? Like, how does it move with you?
Speaker 1: Yes? And how do you keep it and keep wearing it? And just because it's affordable, you can find good quality. And I've always loved following you for that. It's been such an inspiration. So your approach to fashion is all about being intentional, and this is important more than ever. What are some common mistakes people make me when shopping for clothes and how can they shop smarter when they're not being intentional? For example, I'm an emotional shopper, an impulse shopper, So how do we be more intentional? And what are the mistakes people are making when they're not thinking with intention?
Speaker 2: So speaking to your point, like you know you've identified that you're emotional shopper, I would say, you know, scratch that itch.
Speaker 1: Yes if it's a bit or pop a few things in a bag confronting to you know, go, well, what's going on? Why am I doing that?
Speaker 2: But you know, pop a few things in a bag and give yourself twenty four hours. Yes, because I did this last year. I wanted to test myself because I had moved countries and I felt really lonely.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you were going through it.
Speaker 2: I was going through it.
Speaker 1: They call it retail therapy for a reason.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So I was buying a lot of stuff I just didn't need, and I had easy access to Amazon, and it was.
Speaker 1: Like retail in America, like it's hard to say.
Speaker 2: No, exactly. I identified that I was doing it as well. So I started a list on my notes app on my phone. So every time I saw something, I just like save the link. It gave me this comfort that I wasn't going to lose it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wouldn't forget.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't forget. I've got it in my notes app. And then you know, I never went back. I think I bought one thing off that list of twenty that I saved over a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so did that reinforce to you that intentional is important? And then the things that are intentional in your wardrobe do you wear the most?
Speaker 2: Yes? So I would say the other way to combat this is if you're looking at a piece, always think how can I style it three ways?
Speaker 1: Yes? I wanted to ask that you've got the rule of three? Is that wearing an item three different ways before you purchase.
Speaker 2: That's a styling.
Speaker 1: That's a styling. Getting too that a second. So I'm looking at this beautiful item online. You want me to think, how can I wear that three different ways.
Speaker 2: With something you already have? If you need to. For example, I'm wearing C three pants right now, so I need a longer shirt to kind of cover some areas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you've still got the sheer going on.
Speaker 2: But not flashing exactly. But I already have long shirts. So I was like, you know what, this makes sense?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, so how can you work it back with the items you already own?
Speaker 2: If you can justify it in three ways? I like that you can go for it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So that's how we can start to be more intentional. Can you explain some styling rules or methods or are their methodologies? You've got the two x two rule and the rule of three. You must seem really good at maths.
Speaker 2: My background is science, so I thought so, so I think this is why I accidentally make formulas.
Speaker 1: Well, my background is saying, oh that practically free, and yeah it's not. So what are these formulas? How are these frameworks going to help you? I don't like saying their rules, their suggestions like a formula, because it kind of helps you figure.
Speaker 2: It out exactly. We need a framework and it really helps us overcome the whole Oh my gosh, what do I even put with this? Yes, so for two by two I think I've spoken about it before, but it's quite I come back to it a lot. But it's two pieces of tailored and two pieces of casual, so kind of like a tailored shirt.
Speaker 1: And it's always both reminding going into a new season. So we're just coming out of summer here, everyone's starting to think autumn winter, all the new cloes eating stores. So this is a good time to refresh on these methodologies, these frameworks, because we might be thinking we might need to go to the shops and get a few things, but we want to be intentional. So remind me of the two by two two so casual.
Speaker 2: Two like tailored structured pieces and two more casual pieces, and when you put that together, it actually gives a really nice balanced look. So let's go. We give me to say, say we're wearing our tailored pants to work with a cotton T shirt at the moment. Yeap, cotton T shirt is kind of more casual. Yep, you got your tailt pants. Yes, Now we're going into autumns.
Speaker 1: So let's add a layer.
Speaker 2: So let's add something that is structured. So maybe like a trench coat. All right, so you got your structure and your tailored in your trench coat and then in your tailored pants. Yes, So for your shoes, let's go something fun, like a casual sniker, like a white sick It's okay, can you imagine that?
Speaker 1: I can? And as you're talking, I flipped it. I was going to go like sort of a slouchy knit that's a big casual, but with a loafer that's a bit more struck.
Speaker 2: Shit, yes, you get it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I feel like my brain's that clueless outfit more droping. I've just thought of so many things.
Speaker 2: That's how it is in my brain. Yeah, and this is why I wrote this.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's so helpful, particularly when you're like, I need one more item, but I'm not sure because if you go all two structure, it can look like you're going to hectic corporate job if it's not, or you can look to your casual Yes, now, remind me of the all three because I've forgotten I was terrible at school.
Speaker 2: The rule of three. It's more like add a third element. So this is a very common design technique. So think about your base. Now you've got your jeans and you've got your T shirt. Let's add a third element that's going to give the personality outfit. Okay, okay, so let's go with that base. If you're more preppy, you might add the blazer, like an oversized, slouchy blazer. If you're more I don't know, edgy, you might go for like a moto jacket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bomber a bomber, yeah exactly. You could do like a really colorful cardigan if you're maya yes exactly, sequence no exactly.
Speaker 2: And so that way everyone can have the same base. But then because you know your personal style, yes, you add your little flare with that third piece.
Speaker 1: It's kind of having bases you can fall back on with personality, like the icing. Okay, I'm going to stop ruining analogies. But I kind of like.
Speaker 2: That that's exactly it, and we can talk about it later as well. But you know, my intention is to shift capsule to curated because that is and.
Speaker 1: It's curated for you. Cor Ah Tina f like you're an expert in this field. Now, I want to talk fast fashion versus mindful investing because forgive me if I'm wrong, but you're still about value and affordability. You know, I don't think you've got one hundred and fifty dollars rule, but I don't see you popping out to Gucci and Amez on the daily, and I think there's a joy in people finding it themselves and helping other people find affordable, amazing items. How do we strike a balance between mindful and intentional versus fast fashion? If you know, not everyone has thousands and millions of dollars to spend on what they wear. What do we do?
Speaker 2: You have your budget and you know you work to that budget.
Speaker 1: Set a budget? We said, up, okay, no, Like I mean, I do roughly, but I don't set aside time to decide the budget of when I'm going to go shopping. I'm just like, oh, it's thirty nine ninety five. Okay, okay, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: When you see that, then that comes back to Okay, why are you buying this? Is it going to pair back with what you already have? Yes, The whole thing with Presture Treasured was I was showing pieces that were affordable, but I've had people just buying everything I was showing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not the point. That's not the point. I get it. So we're still about affordability, but we're not about fast fashioned burn and churn. We want to find a good quality piece that we love that we can wear enough in terms of quality and versatility for years to come exactly. Let's talk about the capture wardrobe. I agree the term capture wardrobe is overused, and I think thanks to a lot of flat lay. We see white shirt, jeans, trench coat, balet, flats or whatever, which is fine and a lot of people like. But it's not cut and paste for every single person. So we're talking curated wardrobe. Talk to me about that, and how would you help a client curate something? You know, everyone's different with clients. We always start with a mood board session. I ask a lot of questions and it's so much fun.
Speaker 2: And when we do that, I can really see the necklines that they're drawn to, the patterns, you know, patterns or patterns like there can be big ones, small ones. Yeah, and we see the textures that they're drawn to, so that that is the essence of their style. So, for example, I just had a client this week actually, and she's not a plain white T shirt girl. She likes a little bit of you know, interity, but she also works in a corporate environment. So we found this beautiful saturn. It's shaped like a white T shirt, but the fabric is saturn.
Speaker 1: So it's got a bit of personality, bit a point of different exactly. Okay, And so everyone's capsule is different, and then you can mix and match within your capsule because it's harmonious to you exactly, not cut and paste. So many women are stuck in a rut with their wardrobes and just find it really overwhelming. Are there easy ways to refresh your star without impulse buying? Please?
Speaker 2: Okay, I've promised you less is more, but you need to get rid of the things that are telling your brain you have nothing to wear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So we literally and emotionally can't see it because you feel frustrated and overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Our brains are actually trained to see things that are wrong, because our brains are there to keep us safe, right, So it just sees all the things that are wrong. So if you've got a whole bunch of things hanging in your wardrobe, and you've got some really great pieces in there, but they're amongst the things that you hate.
Speaker 1: That so much sands like primarily pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, you will just always look at your wardrobe and say, oh my gosh, I have nothing to wear.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so instead of going I've got nothing to wear. Looking in there freaks me out, so I'll turn and run to Westfield or jump online.
Speaker 2: What do we do?
Speaker 1: Be more intense at all.
Speaker 2: So I want you to go to your wardrobe, you lee, Yeah. I want you to take out ten to fifteen pieces okay that you know when you put that on you always feel great.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh good. So we're starting with the good stuff. We're starting with the positive. We're starting with the positive.
Speaker 2: Lay it out on your bed, all these pieces, and you'll start to notice similar silhouettes, similar necklines, similar bits of fabric.
Speaker 1: This sounds so much more fun than going, oh I haven't want it in that long Oh will I even? But yes, start that stuff you love.
Speaker 2: Start here, because this is your blueprint, this is your personal.
Speaker 1: Style, this is my curator.
Speaker 2: This is your curator.
Speaker 1: And then what can I walk away? No?
Speaker 2: Because then you've shifted your filters in your brain, because so you're like, Okay, this is what I love, and you know that the next time when you pull out that next item in your wardrobe, you will clearly see how it doesn't fit your print. Yes, and it makes it so much easier to get rid of.
Speaker 1: We do all of this before to buy anything else.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Do you have a styling tip that instantly makes an outfit feel more polished?
Speaker 2: So, first of all, I mean, it's great to have that one piece that you know when you put it on you feel great. For me, it's like tailored shirts and tailored tops.
Speaker 1: You and I are very similar, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: And not everyone loves a shirt to a blazer.
Speaker 1: So I've got a girlfriend who's very sort of whimsical and romantic and tastes like a high necked dress and she always looks so classy, like she's going to high tea with the Queen, and I know that makes her feel amazing and I feel her energy in it, So that's her version.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly, And this is why curated matters because it's going to be different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would not, I'd feel like I was doing dress ups exactly. Okay, So is it having that fallback look or item when you're feeling overwhelmed or out of time?
Speaker 2: Exactly? So that's why you know, I always talk about throw on and go dressing.
Speaker 1: You do, you coin to the term, and now it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: So there's that, But you know, not everyone loves a dress, So what about a playsuit or a jumpsuit, or about.
Speaker 1: It to actually outfit if you've worked it out, you know, if it's fast enough to put it on. Doesn't have to be addressed, but just the thing that makes you feel good.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: So with being more intentional, more mindful, having less, making it work harder, trends are always changing, so like, how did the everyday person go, Okay, I've found my blueprint or I'm trying to be more intentional, but my goodness, there's leper print, there's year, there's red, there's this and that, and how do we choose what to listen to?
Speaker 2: So I love the eighty twenty mindset when it comes to this, So eighty percent of my wardrobe is my blueprint. The twenty percent is fun because you know, some of us love shopping so smart.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, you're right, you're not going to be stuck with seven million trend pieces that don't go together exactly. I love that. Yeah, eighty twenty I'm going to go write these in my wardrobe on that. I think with the kind of intentional shopping, it's not fun to shop for underrated sort of essentials that do put it all together? Do people overlook those? Do people have enough of those?
Speaker 2: Sometimes people only go shopping for events or like they have something to shop for, and that's how you end up with a whole bunch of things but not outfit.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that is so true. And how do you approach shopping for special occasions? Like you say, people are like, oh quick, I've got this birthday party, I've got this event that happens. But we don't often go to a birthday party or an event seven days a week. So how do we suggest people dress themselves to those without ending up with the wardrobe of stuff. Therefore once or going to wear once.
Speaker 2: Hiring is a big thing right now, beautiful dresses that you can get. There's so many companies out there right now. If that's not an option, I would always suggest wear it during the day as well. Yes, bring it into your every day. Yeah, pair it back with those basics that you like.
Speaker 1: We're seeing sparkles everywhere you're wearing she wiring, she hands, which I love. Are they the Tocuba ones?
Speaker 2: Dish dish?
Speaker 1: Oh? I want the Decuba ones. But you know, a couple of seasons ago, you would have a watershear bottom in the day, not your bottom. You prepare of bottoms and you put it with a really great linen shirt that mix it casual exactly.
Speaker 2: I actually bought this four event that I just did in Melbourne, and I love wearing it. I'm like, I don't want to just keep this for times.
Speaker 1: Yes, I also think thrifting is really good. Some of my girlfriends who are similar sized as we swap. Yeah, great handy because it's santistic. Can I borrow that black dress or do you want to borrow this? And it's just so helpful. Okay, I want to quickly talk about style on Purpose. So tell me about it and how did this evolution come here? What inspired you to start styal on purpose? What's the new mission?
Speaker 2: The new mission is strategy around shopping and styling with trash to treasure. It was to show you that you don't have to spend a lot to look good. And even under that name, I had my e book called Pickwell Style Often, Yeah, which the whole ethos is teaching how to shop well dressed well all of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like you've always had the same mission and same purpose, but now you're just making it crystal clear correct. So style on Purpose is what?
Speaker 2: So Style on Purpose is a personal style studio. So under that studio, we can do one on ones to get you into your blueprint and elevate your style and create those like intentional shopping habits. I do group sessions as well, so get your girlfriends together.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a great.
Speaker 2: It's a virtual studio. Yes, obviously I'm based in La now, but I have clients everywhere, so clever.
Speaker 1: What about partners if you are in a heterosexual relationship and they might need some help, Yes, absolutely, yes, men as well.
Speaker 2: I have expanded into men as well.
Speaker 1: I think that's really you know, because I get a lot of questions saying I don't know, and he just stops at industry and industry is great, but I think men just don't even know where to look or who to are. It's very expensive, how undred percent? Okay, bougie and budget. I've got two items that I'm going to try and get the teena tick of approval. Okay, because I'm being intentional. You've got too that you've already bought, yes, that were intentional, or that you've got enough wear out of yes. Okay, what do you want to start with? My boogie or my budget?
Speaker 2: Let's go budget?
Speaker 1: Okay, great, Well it's still pretty expensive, but it's from Dish, so I feel like I'm not going to be in trouble yet. So as we know going into winter, I love how I'm basically like trying to pitch you. It's the Hendrix Pampas Swayed jacket from Dish. So it's expensive three hundred and ninety nine dollars Okay, yep, but it's Dish quality, it's pre order. It's a Tanny Camel swayed. My question is Swayede makes me nervous because it's warm, but I'm not great with care of my things. Do you think that Swayed for me in terms of a jacket might be a bit too optimistic.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think so too.
Speaker 1: I want to be her, yes, but I think I might be a faux suede.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have to think of aftercare. Yeah, you're not gonna wear it once?
Speaker 1: No, I'll either won't wear it because I'm too scared, or I'll wear it and ruin it and if it gets rained on or cry. Yes. Okay, so that was very intentional thought process.
Speaker 2: That you know you already know.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me about your budget that you are wearing or have purchased?
Speaker 2: Okay, so my budget? Are these gold slippers?
Speaker 1: We call them songs? Are you American?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Did you call them slippers? You're so American? They're fabulous. How do you say that brand?
Speaker 2: I just say keys?
Speaker 1: Oh see, I was saying teeks, but I think it's Teaky's yeah, because it's t k e s Yeah. Okay, I've got them in silver, do you I've got the silver. Although they took a little while to wear in. Did you get a blister? No?
Speaker 2: These were all right? Yeah, so I've only had them a week but I've worn them a million.
Speaker 1: A lot because songs are still very much you know, that simple song. Yeah, and for any American listeners, we're talking about like what did you call them? Slide sandalpers slippers? You know the thing your foot goes in. And I feel like, even if that trend's not as huge next summer, it's still a classic song exactly. They're not very expensive.
Speaker 2: I don't think there were one hundred and twenty three, which is I mean, I think a heavy on her as like sixty to fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I got mine on sale maybe, Okay, Okay, I'm scared of my next onney. This is my bougie. It's also a pre order. It's by Pollen, which is a French brand that has just been acquired by LVMH. So I think the value is going to go up.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: It's the numeral nerf textured torp. Let me justify her to you. She's eight hundred and eighty dollars, but it's a good size. There's a million colors, and I've really deliberated. I've got like a off white bag. I don't wear black really, so I think the torp is very flexible. I wanted the chocolate brown, but I think that doesn't go with enough of my wardrobe and it's too like it's very trendy. It's also a classic, but I'm a torp. You can carry this as a handbag, you can carry it as a crossbody. It's big enough to fit like your day to day life laptop.
Speaker 2: No, okay, does it zip at the top?
Speaker 1: No? Let me show you some photo.
Speaker 2: It's a bucket bag essentially.
Speaker 1: It's a bucket bag, handbag, cross body bag, zip interior, pocket, good keys, everything good, magnetic clothure. I've watched on a YouTube and it's like really strong, okay, and it is made of leather and it's really nice.
Speaker 2: It's a yes from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I already pre ordered. But Tina, I can tell you I have looked at this bag, moll that I've looked at anything in my whole life. Because there's also so many nice colours, and they have so many other shapes, and because Elvi Major quiet them. It's basically the new Channel.
Speaker 2: It's an incredible brand. The talk is very versatile, so I approve on that.
Speaker 1: I really struggle with the colors. I asked like three different friends and they also different colors, and I was like, shut up, this isn't helping me be Tina approves the talk that was so excited. Okay, what's your bougie and I'm sure it's some boushie's.
Speaker 2: No, my bougie is actually very cheap, still very affordable.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't say cheap affordable for all of them, but it.
Speaker 2: Is the lace pants that I'm wearing.
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 2: I mean there are one hundred and fifty dollars, so they're not breaking the bank, but they.
Speaker 1: Are very wearing lace pants kind of thing exactly.
Speaker 2: So they're not the type of pants I'll be reaching four constantly. So these sit in my twenty percent. Okay, you know eight twenty.
Speaker 1: So are you trying to get as much? We're out of them now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So actually my justification for this was I'm going on holiday soon and then I'm back to the where it's just summer exactly. So that was my job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get an extra advantage of like extending a season. They're so good though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I love them. I think I get the black as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I have a black pear similar that I got from a brand. A couple of years ago or a year ago with a little built in sort of shorts.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I've worn them in someone with a white tank with any winter with a black blazer. Love it like basically the reverse of you. Yeah, no dish one hundred and fifty dollars Tina. Honestly, you're so amazing. So people want to follow you. I'm sure what's your handle? And then how do they find out about your new platform?
Speaker 2: Okay, so Tina Abasa crau. So that's my Instagram handle and also my website helpful, that's helpful. And then my website has Style on Purpose so you can pop over to that. I have digital products as well, so you can do like outfit guides and.
Speaker 1: You've got everything everything. You're a busy little travel b Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's all under Style on Purpose.
Speaker 1: Amazing. We we'll link in the show notes. So congratulations, thank you for letting me drag you in this studio on this Australia visit and come back soon. Thank you for listening to Nothing to Wear, And if you love us, we've got a newsletter, so don't you want to send your inbox as well as your ears. There's a link of the show notes, to sign up to the newsletter, and of course it's free. This episode was produced by Cassie Merritt, with audio production by Lou Hill.