Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mere acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Who will look after you when you're old? What's wrong with you? How will you ever understand unconditional love? So selfish? So sad? There are many things the world has got better at when it comes to women being able to live their lives. However they choose. No need to hand in your work security pass when a ring goes on the finger, No need to get a man to sign that loan application, that voting form, that credit card. You'll be tolerated for not marrying the first person who asks. You can run for office, and you can drive your car, and you can buy your own everything. But damn it, if you don't have children. Did you forget? Did you never meet the right guy? Too chicken to go it alone? Oh, you chose your career. There's still you'll change your mind until there isn't, and then there's only a silent pity and a question mark about the very meaning of a woman's life if she didn't surrender herself to children, as if that's some sort of waste, an empty space, a lack but what if, for the myriad reasons that status exists. The child free woman is not an affront, or a sadness or an absence, but many things that, for whatever reason, we are too afraid to look at, an acceptance that sometimes we just don't get everything we wanted or imagined, that a peace and reassessment can be found inside that fact. Maybe that it's a private sadness that can be tucked into a pocket as fulfilling lives a lived. Or maybe it's a joyful opening of possibility, a gateway to a life less ordinary, a freedom to pursue passion and purpose, and a chance to write a different definition of family, of nurturing, of motherhood. Or maybe it's just your little life, not exceptional, not a statement, not a tragedy or a movement, but just what is. There are many things the world has become better at as we find ourselves in mid but making sense of a child free woman is not one of them yet. Hello, I'm Holly Wainwright, and I am mid midlife, mid family, mid bad attitude. What if you didn't lose your keys because you're getting old? What if you're grumpy today because you slept badly and you slept badly because you've got a lot going on and a busy, fizzy brain. And you have a lot going on because you're capable and strong and still very much alive, and your brain is busy because you're smart and experienced and can hold many things at once. I'm asking you these questions today not because I've lost it, but because I want you to in a world that is pro aging, not anti because that's the world our guest today. Faith or Googu grew up in in Nigeria, where Faith was born and lived until she moved to Britain age nine, and then onto Australia as an adult. Faith says that age was revered and respected that everybody wanted to be the oldest person in the room. Can you even imagine that in the world that we live in, where we tilt our heads in pity at anyone over the age of thirty. Faith is a psychotherapist who talks to a lot of women about their anxiety about aging. In fact, aging anxiety is something she's begun to specialize in a bit and repositioning it as a positive or at the very least, the age is not the defining thing about their life. Moment, and that's become a big part of what she does in reassuring women that they did not lose their keys because they're getting old. Another thing she does is host her own community, the Silver Sirens of Older Women, sharing wisdom and companionship and stories. And today she shares her story with me. We talk about all kinds of things, about choosing a job you'll get better at with age, about beauty and money, and also about Faith's life without kids, how she came to be living in it and how she made peace with it. It's a beautiful, meaningful conversation about the letting go of the lives you didn't get to live and embracing the one that you did. Please meet Faith at Google. Faith, thank you for being here with me today.
Speaker 1: Absolute pleasure.
Speaker 2: We're all beginning to get a bit jack of anti aging, right, anti aging, we're so.
Speaker 1: Done with it.
Speaker 2: But you're one of the few people i've heard actually say that you look forward to your next birthday, that you're like actively pro aging. Yeah, tell me about that attitude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Look, it's one of those attitudes.
Speaker 3: When I say it, I can see the skepticism people's faces and they're like, yeah, you know, but for me, just growing up in a culture where agent is actually revered. You know, I never got anything negative about agent. Obviously can't be Pollyanna.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We know that certain things will change and certain things will become more challenging, but in terms of aging as something to fear, it was just never in my consciousness, you know. So for me, looking at my mother was my role model. And in her fifties, she absolutely thrived, you know, she really she started to went to study, she broke up with my father, she found a new lover, thank god, you know, and she traveled and just did this really exciting thing. And I just saw that once her focus was no longer on the children and us, she could focus back on herself and I just saw her blossoming, you know. So she was my personal role model. And then culturally as a Nigerian, and I think a lot of you know, collective cultures, not just Nigeria and but a lot of collective cultures.
Speaker 1: You know, agent is something that we look forward to.
Speaker 3: You know, you revere the elders and you respect them, and everyone wants to be the older person in the room.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting that everybody wants to be the oldest person in the room. So it's like you look forward to getting that wisdom and having that sort of status.
Speaker 1: It's a status, that's exactly it. It's a status.
Speaker 2: And you grew up in Nigeria till you were about nine, and then you moved to England. Is that right?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: And did you feel a shift then in that culture in terms of how people look to aging or I mean you're little, You're probably not.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think about it, to be honest, I didn't think about aging until probably in my late forties.
Speaker 2: It's happening to me.
Speaker 3: Well actually know, actually didn't. I only thought about it. I didn't think about it even then. I was always aware every master on Berthday that I had, Like when I was twenty, I remember really clearly thinking, Wow, I wonder what thirty would be. And then when I was thirty, I remember thinking I wonder what forty would be Now For me, that was just always my curiosity, you know. I was always looking forward and people think like, why are you doing that? But I just felt this excitement that if I'm this person now, what would that be ten years time? How do I have grown and evolved? So I was at that curiosity about the process.
Speaker 2: Do you think if you had to hazard a guess or draw on your experience for why a lot of cultures, including I guess the one we sort of swim in here in Australia, are so anti aging rather than pro What do you think it is. Do you think it's that loss of status because we don't make older people feel special, or do you think it's all physical or what do you think?
Speaker 3: Look, I think there's a number of things, and I think number one we are we live in a culture where youth is absolutely valued. You know, it's all about being young, and once you start to lose your youth, you use your value, and especially around women. And one of the things that really pissed me off in this whole journey was how different the message for men and women were. You know, we can tell men are allowed to get old, is it allowed to age? You look at George Clooney when you think about your filthy fox exactly, silver fox, distinguished. These are the words we use when we talk about men and aging, and yet for women it's always about diminished, like chrone.
Speaker 1: You know, she's let herself.
Speaker 3: Old lady, Yeah, she's let herself go and you know that idea that almost done for women getting old or looking older is almost kind of like a failure in some way, you know, so women are shamed around it, criticized, judge shamed. So it's I think a lot of it is around one that sort of value. But also I think the commercially is quite useful. You know, the whole beauty industry is all about focused on keeping women insecure about their their looks and especially losing their youth.
Speaker 1: So a lot of.
Speaker 3: Attention on money is put on that, and there's a lot of pressure on women, and I really that really gets my goat because it's not fair because it doesn't happen to men.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So the idea for Silver Sirens, which is your community for women over fifty. As I've heard parts of your story, I've heard that it was sort of borne out of your second act, as it were, in a way. So I'd love you to talk to me a little bit about because I know we've as we've discussed we're very pro aging. But I've heard you say that you did go through a bit of a midlife crisis of thoughts that made you decide to make some changes and have led you to this place. Can you tell me a bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, I had my own midlife crisis, and I love what Breno Brown says about midlife crisis, you know, sort of seeing that as a crisis.
Speaker 1: We'll just see it as a transition, because that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 3: But we don't have any word in around it, so most people go through it in silence, and I'm not quite sure what they're going through. And from a therapy perspective, you know, we have extitity, and we have different markers in life, you know, different phases that we go through, so midlife is one of them. And the reason why for a lot of people feels like a crisis. It's like a juncture of a lot of big stresses in life. So you know, I'd be changing jobs, or maybe a marriage is broken down, or the children are leaving, our elders, you know, our older generation. They're getting old and they're sick. So there's like this time where there's all these stresses happen at the same time, and we don't have anyone talking about this. We don't actually know that it's natural. So a lot of us do go through a crisis. So my personal midlife crisis looked like closing down my fashion business that i'd had for fourteen years.
Speaker 1: Didn't have any children.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was going to say, so when you were younger, you were a model, correct model, and then you had your own fashion business.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did, and.
Speaker 2: The GFC kind of did came in that, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I was a fashion agent, so I did sales and pr for fashion designers in Sydney and yeah, things were just we're just struggling for a while, and I probably should have walked away years ago, you know before, but like a lot of us, I just kept thinking, it's me, I'm doing something wrong. I just keep trying, and in the end I had no choice but to close the doors. And it was really sad, you know, because at the time I wasn't in a relationship, I didn't have children, so was my late forties, so it was kind of like, is this it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: So I did go through a really tough time and there was and I fell into depression and it took me, you know, a couple of years to kind of climb out of that. But that was my midlife crisis, and I didn't know that that's what I was having at the time, and funny enough, it was coincided with kind of a year after I had a hysterectomy, so I got pushed into menopause, like I had what was called medically induced menopause. Again, I didn't know anything about that because there was no one around me that was talking about that. And I think that's the challenge around this stage for a lot of women is there's no conversations. It's changing now because things like what you're doing, you're saying God, but then there was no conversation.
Speaker 2: Without wanting to pry too much, you had a hysterectomy at that age for you had medical issues that needed it was fibros.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I had fibrous for many, many years, very unpainful and very painful.
Speaker 1: And the reasons why.
Speaker 3: I was kind of hanging on to my usurers was because I was hoping to eventually have children one day. So you know, I probably should have had the hysterectomy, probably say, ten years before, but I was just hanging in there.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that you say that, and you say I should have probably closed the business before I should have. I should have hindsights great the building.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 2: But also we do hold on to things. We hold on to dreams and the things that we've worked hard for because you know, we'll and as you just said, we kind of think, well maybe if I just try hard. So you're at that point in your life you're thinking about what's next. I heard you say which I absolutely loved that when you were thinking about what your next career might be, you wanted to choose something that you would get better at rather than something that you'd age out of. And I love that because one of the things I think about a lot. Now you know, my job in the media. I love it. I get to have all these meaningful conversations. But you're constantly aware of your age, and people are always a bit like how long do you think you can do this for? And you're sort of thinking, what can I just be valued for my wisdom and my insights about rather than like picked apart for my age about. So you wanted to choose something that you could just grow with and get better and you chose psychotherapy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell me about that. Well, I chose psychotherapy. But like I said, I had three criteria of my new career. You know, I'd been in the fashion industry for thirty something years. My last job was in PR, so I was expected to turn up at events and parties.
Speaker 1: And I didn't want to anymore.
Speaker 3: I just to go home and have a couple of tien and be called up in my jamis, you know. And so I just thought, you know what, my next careers has to be something. One that I get to sit down, because fashion you're always running around, two that the hourly rate would be high because fashion was not, and the third one being I.
Speaker 1: Would get better with age.
Speaker 3: So in fashion, it was clear that I was aging out of it, you know, and I wanted to do something that I knew every single year, every bit of experience I had would actually add value to the work that I was doing. And that's exactly why I chose that career. And it's proven to be right. And look, and I'm going to be sixty this year. I know that if I want to, I've got another twenty or thirty years because I know psychologists and psychotherapists that are in their la eighties and ninety you know, So if I wanted to, I could just continue working and I get to sit.
Speaker 1: In my rocking chair, you know. And by wisdom.
Speaker 2: Exactly had also had therapy? Been you saying that in that your midlife crisis looked like depressions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure?
Speaker 2: Did you turn to therapy? Was that helpful for you? Is that part of this decision too?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, that was great.
Speaker 3: Look, I'd always kind of been open to therapy, and I've had therapy at different times in my life, you know, So it wasn't something that was strange to me, and for me, it was a no brainer that I would go and get some help, and I would, you know, because I know that there's some clarity that happens. It's not like someone's going to fix me, but there's something that happens when I get to have someone really objective get to hear me.
Speaker 1: And reflect back to me what they hear.
Speaker 3: And that's where the key is because a lot of people go, well, what what's the benefit of just telling someone your problem? But the therapist is actually trained to help you reflect and it's the reflection that gives you the awareness. Is the awareness that brings a back change.
Speaker 1: To understand a lot of people don't get that.
Speaker 3: So just having those conversations with the therapist and getting that clarity and awareness myself really helped me to kind of look at because, I mean the time I was considering myself as a big failure, you know, and having the therapy and talking it through, I realized that wasn't actually true. That I'd done lots of amazing things, and there were lots of circumstances why the business didn't work, But for me, being a failure was actually not part of the equation.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'd spent fourteen years in that business. You know, I had lots of staff that I had supported for many, many years. I was actually a success, you know, and it just didn't work out the way that I thought it was going to work out.
Speaker 1: And that's fine.
Speaker 3: That's the problem for most of us when things stopped looking the way we want them to look. Instead of maybe accessing and thinking maybe it's time to change course, we just keep pushing.
Speaker 1: You know. That's one of the biggest things I've learned.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting. And then practicing as a psycho therapist, you talking to lots of women, is when you and again obviously correct me if I'm wrong. You began to notice this like aging anxiety and a lot of your female clients you were seeing you were noticing this aging anxiety. And this is like the nugget that began to turn into silver sirens as I understand it. What did that look like, that aging anxiety that the women were talking to you about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, well I can still see, you know, the one woman that sat across me, she was the first one that came to me around aging anxiety. I met another of her friend in Byron Bay and she said, look, I've got this client that I think you'd love. Because we were just talking in general and I was saying about, you know, we're just talking. I don't know how aging came into the conversation, but it did. And she said, look, I've got a friend who's really struggling around this stuff.
Speaker 1: I want to refer to you. And that's kind of how it started, you know.
Speaker 3: And the agent anxiety looked like she was a classic midlifer in the sense that she just her marriage was just about to be over. She was going through a lot of angst around you know, what to do next, around her career, and then and then the other layer of it was all around their physical appearance changing. And she said to me, look, I'm so embarrassed to bring this up. I've got real big problems. The thing that's most painful and the hardest for me is that my body's changing and I don't know what's going on and anything everything I try, Like I used to go to the gym and I could get into shape quickly, and that's not happening in my hair, Like what's going on? You know, I'm sick of dying it, but like I can't. I can't let myself get great, you know. And she's felt a lot of shame around that. So we just started exploring it. You know, for me, I was exploring whose attitude. It was a lot of the beliefs that she had when I when I when we probed and said, is that your view? Do you think you're less value? Because she'll use the words invisible, you know, not so desirable. You know, if when this relationship ends, who's gonna want me? I'm an old woman, you know, I'm not I'm not going to be I'm not attractive anymore, all of those sort of things. So we started to explore whose value, whose values, and whose views they were, you know, and it wasn't actually hers. She'd internalize all of this, most of e gendered agism, you know, from everywhere. You know, we sometimes think it's just external, but it can be our friendships as well.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I think as women too, we can be guilty of reinforcing that the agism with each other than even just the media and society.
Speaker 1: And that's the bit that I get really upset.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because talking about the surface, as your client said to you, she was embarrassed that she was so upset about it. Yeah, and I think a lot of mid women struggle with that, right, Yeah, is that you're You're like, I know it doesn't matter. I know I'm wise, and You're like, and I know I'm wise, and I know I've lived life and I'm accomplished in whatever I'm doing. But when I look in the mirror what I see I've been told my whole life that this is not apt.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I know that you, as we said before, you were a model, and I mean, you're an exceptionally beautiful woman. Of course I've got to say that, But how do you get people to unpick that? Because I know that as Silver Sirens, you you're very clear that you don't judge about if you want to have interventions, if you want to do whatever you want to do. If you want to spend too much money on serums, if you want to get your inject that's fine, But how do we do that? On picking that you were just talking about between do I think I'm ugly? Or is it that everyone else has said I'm ugly? Have you experienced that personally at all?
Speaker 1: Not for me? I mean, actually that's actually not true. Think I'm glad that you asked me that.
Speaker 3: Have I experienced I've experienced it very little because I remember looking at my neck one they going, wow, that's got wrinkles. Now. I was kind of fascinated, you know, I wasn't freaking out. I was kind of fascinating. I thought, wow, this is what it looks like. But I do get it a lot. I do see it a lot in my in therapy, you know. And it starts to pick again. As I said, it's about awareness. How we look is subjective, you know. So we all decide that this look young is good and oh it is not good, And we look at a spectrum of what's acceptably attractive on what's not line sing young eighteen or like that's nice. But as you get closer and closer to over that end, that's the that's the ugly, that's the you don't want to be that, and that's the old woman. So the old woman is right on the spectrum of what's not attractive. So as people are a they're getting unconsciously, they're getting closer to that. And that's terrifying because we've all internalized that that's something you don't want to be. You certainly don't want to look like you're like that, you know, and we talked about here and gray and gray is usually one of the first markers of moving to that place. So women start to get this really deep terror. You know that they're going to be completely out of control and despite what they do, they're going to be lump lumped into this category of no longer attractive, and so many doors are going to be closed to them, and that's frightening for people.
Speaker 2: It is controls interesting that you said that, because it's true about gray hair and wrinkles and the widening waiste is that you do begin to feel a little out of control, right, And sometimes I wonder if a lot of the interventions that we try and do, we're trying to wrestle the control that.
Speaker 3: I think so absolutely you know, we're fighting again something that really don't have any control over, you know. To be clear, there are some aspects of aging that we do have control over, there are, you know, And I think.
Speaker 1: That's what's really important. And I love this wort.
Speaker 3: I've just got this book thing, you know, there's lovely. So I'm doctor Stephanie Burns. She has a theory around agent I love of you on age and she says that, you know, we all decide at a particular time in our lives that whatever negative things that are happening to us as suddenly are now because of our age. So we may lose our keys, we may we may you know, have aches and creeks in our body. You know, we get someone's name, but at certain point in our lives, usually in our fifties, we start to attribute that to age.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Then, so there's a mental part of it that that we have to really look at.
Speaker 2: Faith and I are going to be back in a minute to talk about the moment she knew she wasn't going to become a mother. So Silver Sirens was born from this observation that you were seeing. And I assume that the Silver and the Sirens is about the gray hair. It's also tied up with our identity, right is that suddenly well, like I didn't think that's who I was. Do you encourage the women in your worlds to embrace a new identity as an older person, as a silver siren or is it more about an evolution of who you've always been.
Speaker 3: I think it's a bit of both, you know. I mean there's there's a level of acceptance. I mean, the thing is, no matter how much surgery you do, how much denial there is around it, we're all going to get old if we're lucky, you know, And it's a privilege. I lost my sister forty one. She didn't have that privilege. So we're all going to get old. So it's there's a level of acceptance around there's a level of coming to terms with that's a natural progression of being human. Okay, how we age, However, we do have control to go back to old thing we do have control over. So for me, it's not about being an age denier.
Speaker 1: Because we're gonna get old.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of like, can I take control of how our age instead of dropping into despair and then giving up and not trying and trying doesn't have to be and going to get botal, but trying to be What are the things I have I have control over because I aways. So my philosophy around agent is like, enhance the opportunities and address the challenges.
Speaker 1: So the challenges might be certain physical things.
Speaker 3: Do I need to do more exercise or exercise in a different way, or make sure there's enough movement, or do I need to change some of my diet. Those are the things you can control, so you take control of that, and there's something quite empowering. I see the women when they take control of things they can, they suddenly have this new zest of life, and the other things send to shrink, you know that the despair around oh my god, what's going on? And they start to feel more vibrant in their bodies and they start to shift the focus away from how they look to how they feel.
Speaker 1: And that's powerful, That's.
Speaker 2: Really powerful, because that's I noticed it even in myself, is that I feel like I've got loads of energy, loads of ambition, loads of things I want to do. And then sometimes I almost catch myself in the mirror and I'm like, but who is that?
Speaker 1: Like? You?
Speaker 2: Like as in your you're getting old now. And I wonder also if one of the things that can make when when we visibly start to age, we can no longer quite like we have to accept the fact that, yeah, right, you know, my years are I'm shifting that balance between having more years behind me, and sometimes that can be very hard if there are areas in your life that you've regretted or things you've wished you've done. And I've heard you say, you know, like you can still do anything, you might not be able to be a ballerina. I think I think i've heard you say like in terms of a career, but for big life things, it can be hard to wrestle with that regret. And I've heard you talk about your journey from being what you call childless to child free, and I wonder if that is something that you've well, I'm sure it's an area you've learned a great deal about from that experience. Do you mind telling us the story of your journey with becoming a mum?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think you know, I love to make the distinction between childless and child free because that's what I started off as childless. You know, I remember my twenties traveling around.
Speaker 1: Europe, you know.
Speaker 3: I I was always an adventure and I loved going out there and doing a lot of things. But always in my mind was I was going to have children. Like it was just I took it for granted. I never thought for a moment that it would not be open to me. So I kind of charged along and did my life. You know. Then I get to my late thirties, a relationship that I thought was going to become a marriage falls apart, and I'm suddenly in this panic, and then I have two or three relationships straight afterward.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of grappling.
Speaker 3: The men were not right, but I just wanted it to be, you know, right enough for me to get pregnant and have a family, you know. So there was all of that scrambling, and then there was all of my peers were starting to have children, and there was that real loneliness of isolation and where they were all forming mother's group and they were having conversations that I could not contribute. There was a real sense of being pushed out of and it was so painful, you know, And I was making really bad choices in men because I was so focused on it's going to be the one you know. So that was painful. And I was forty five, went and I know my then partner, I had just gone to have his tests at the IVF clinic because we were I just convinced him too, we go into therapy, convinced him to agree to have a child with me. He just went and had his tests the day before, and we were on his balcony. We weren't living together, We're on his balcony, and I just remember it was like a light bulb moment. I just went faith, you're forty five when your child is ten, you're going to be fifty five. When your child is twenty, you're going to be sixty five. Are you going to have the energy? What sort of quality of mother and are you're going to give the child? And what sort of quality of life are you're going to have. It was just suddenly like bang, and I just realized that no, the ship had salled. And it was so painful, even though it was a clear reality, it was so painful. The ship was selled, and I had to go through the process of accepting that, and that was really really painful. You know, it's a lot of grief around that, this thing that I took for granted. It's just never going to be an option, you know. So that going through again, did some therapy and really processed that grief and pain around that, and then I came into this place where there was all that acceptance, which is beautiful. What's what happens with grief? You know, you land in this space of acceptance. And I surveyed and it was like, wow, my life now is mine? Yeah, you know, my money is mine, like you.
Speaker 1: Know, I don't have to play school fees or college fees, it's mine. What do I want to do?
Speaker 2: And then one of the possibility, one of the possibilities there.
Speaker 1: And then things shifted.
Speaker 3: It was like all the friends all in like in their mum's group, and this lovely life that they had that I envied was suddenly turned around, going, oh my god, you're so lucky. Oh my god, you've just done that. What if you just done oh my god? You know, and suddenly I got this this right sizedness of there's there's positive and challenges in both being a mom and not being a mom, you know, and I was going to do the absolute best that I could.
Speaker 1: That I had this life, this privileged life of.
Speaker 3: Not having to you know, put my life on hold for someone else, or sacrifice for one else.
Speaker 1: And there was other ways of mothering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard you speak about that.
Speaker 1: That's so important.
Speaker 2: What do you when you say other ways of mothering? What do you What does that mean to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, for me, I believe that I'm a natural nurturer, you know, and I think building communities. Yeah, you know, so that's for me. So for me, what are the qualities of mothering?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: For me, it's it's unconditional love, it's care, it's mothers are always sacrificed and always thinking about not someone. I feel that sacrifice a bit negative, but always considering the well being and needs of other people, you know. And I find for me it's something that I love doing. I get to do it in my therapy, you know. And some people believe the therapy is almost one of the roles of the therapist is is playing the role of the good mother. A lot of people have challenges around their mother, but you come in and you play that role.
Speaker 1: You model what that would look like.
Speaker 3: So you're giving them a some sort of unconditional love and acceptance. And you know, in the relationships they get to see that. So in that way, I get to mother for sure. I get to mother in my friendships a lot, because I'm definitely the person who if someone's said, I'm bringing the castle role, you know, and having a community like civil science, I had absolutely no idea that I was actually building. I thought I was building the community for other women. But I was built in the community that I need that I'm going to grow into, you know, interesting, and there's so much mothering in that.
Speaker 2: I think there's so much wisdom in like everything he just said. But what the talking about that very painful moment of letting go of this dream and then that coming into an acceptance. If there's anyone listening to this who's wrestled with that and going, I don't feel like I'm there yet, Like I'm still in the sadness of what I didn't get, the life I didn't get to have. Obviously, you've said therapy helps a lot. Is there something that you would share with them that would help them through that?
Speaker 1: Do you think?
Speaker 3: Look, I think the thing around time, I know it's not sexy.
Speaker 1: Time, you know, and the thing is honor where you're at.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm really glad that I didn't have any kind of pretend Pollyanna, you know, spiritual emotional bypassing, where I've just kind of pretended I was okay before I was, you know, it took time, and I'm really glad. So I allowed myself to go there, allowed myself to own the pain, allowed myself to own the jealousy that I had, and I sort of thinking myself as a jealous person, but I felt jealous, you know. So I allowed myself just to own all of that. And I think that's the thing. Don't much try and make yourself feel bad for all the feelings that you're having one of them.
Speaker 1: That's natural, you know. And have a safe space to share it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't have to be a therapist, but just have a couple of good friends that you can just go and share it with and not feel judged, you know. And I think that's what's really important. Just give yourself time and just keep being kind to yourself through the process.
Speaker 2: When we come back, Faith tells me about whether we're getting better at understanding that happiness looks different for every woman stay with us. Do you think that in general and culture we're getting better at understanding that there are lots of different ways to have a successful, happy life as a woman, and it's not all about the picket fence and the babies. Do you think we're getting better at that?
Speaker 1: Think? So? I mean, I think you can see that everywhere.
Speaker 3: I mean, the amount of people that are not having children is growing more and more. And we know that's only that's figures only getting bigger, you know. So I think that we're kind of accepting that you can have a fulfilling life without it looking like the cookie cutter that we've been told that they have to look like this for it to be a successful life. That's changing, and I think that's really exciting, you know. And I think that, I mean, I always say, the human beings, we're not in danger of being extinct. It's okay some of us are opt out of having children. You know, there are money of the mound.
Speaker 2: There are I also really love that when we were talking before about your decisions about what to do with this next phase of your life and your decision about your career change, you mentioned money, which I really liked that you did that. And I've seen you talk about that and some of your videos and things about goals because sometimes it seems a bit like frowned upon almost for women to talk about money, like we're supposed we do everything because we love it and we do everything, you know, for other people and blah blah blah. But financial security, particularly as you age, is really important. So the fact that you even will say, like I knew I wanted to choose a job that would pay me well enough to be able for me to have like, that's that's really important. Do you encourage women who you work with to think about that too, and do you think about finance?
Speaker 3: I challenged them a lot, you know, because a lot of women will come to me they'll have some problems around money. I mean, I've got so many clients who and separation and divorce were completely shafted, you know, because they didn't know what was really going on in their financial life and their husband took care of it. And I'm shocked the whistle has saying that. But that's still the case for a lot of women, you know. So a lot of them come and they've worked all their lives and you know, brought up the kids, and now they've left with literally nothing, you know. So I'm onto it, and I really talk to my clients. I challenged them around, you know, not being afraid to have the conversation.
Speaker 1: I poke them, you know.
Speaker 3: And I do it a lot with Silver Sirens as well. And I try and be super transparent with Silver Sirens too, because I pay for pretty much.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Everything's not very white is a community that I'm funding. So it used to feel quite shameful for me to own it, and I just thought, no, it's not realistic. I'm not going to pretend to be where I'm not. I'm going to say what's going on, you know. So I've always tried to model that, and you know, through through our content that we create as well and the resources. I always try and make sure that we have money experts to come in and talk to the women about money often, you know, and we try and now we separate our content into mounmth so June because it's the end of financially in Australia that's all focused on finances, and we've got loads of amazing experts now on board to talk to the women because I want the women to be empowered. We support the Older Women's Network their homelessness program and I feel so passionate about that because women have a fifty are the fastest growing coco and homelessness, and we have to do something about that. And part of that is awareness and we have to talk about it is the women know, and a lot of women that are ashamed so they don't even say to anybody that they're sleeping in their cars.
Speaker 2: Scary, it's really scary sometimes. I mean it's a stereotype. But women are resilient, right, we push on, we get things done, We make the most of it, like you know, make the most of a situation. But you know, you can only be so resilient when you need to actually be saying I'm not coping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not coping.
Speaker 2: That's exactly I've also heard you say. And I want you to obviously tell me more about Silver Sirens, but that one of the things that when you've asked your community, and I assume this is through your work as well, loneliness is a massive thing that came up. I found that quite surprising. We're not surprising, but I think there was a stat I was reading you were saying something like seventy percent of the women you were said that loneliness and connection or lack of connection was one of the biggest things. What do you think is behind that? And do you think that's also you know, we were talking about cultural differences and how you know, in our culture where we're scared of age and we don't value necessarily our elders as much, why do you think this cohort can feel so isolated?
Speaker 3: You know, as people are aging, you know, it's that thing of they start to recede and disappear. You know, we have those multi generational cultures where everyone is brought in, you know, no matter what your age, every single member of the family is kind of included, whereas now it's almost like you get past a certain age and you're no longer invited to things or people forget about you. You know, and a lot of people too, you know, they move away, or friends are dying, friends are moving away. There's there again, is that there's a lot of different factors that cause that. But again, when people find themselves in that situation, they don't talk about it, nor do they freach out a lot of you know, when we first started exploring the loneliness, I started to have these monthly virtual Silver Connection lunches I call them, and we know, we get together and we bring food, and you know, that's how the process started. And a lot of the women just say they felt a lot of shame around telling people that they felt lonely, you know. And we also did a loneliness town hall where we just you know, just open it up and people we've lived experiences, this is a safe space for you to tell us what that felt like.
Speaker 1: A lot of people what it was shame.
Speaker 3: You know, my friends have moved away all of this, I've lost all of my contact, but I'm scared to reach out. I'm scared to tell anybody. I feel shamed to tell anybody that I feel like this. So then they'll just withdraw and isolate and try and figure it out by themselves, and their lives just gets shots and the more shrunk and less and more more isolated.
Speaker 1: It's very sad to see.
Speaker 2: I always remember my mother in law. She's not with us anymore, but she described it very clearly to me of what she didn't want to happen to her, but that she said, I saw my mother's life go from being out in the world with all these connections to literally shrinking to her kitchen, like because she was literally sitting at her kitchen table twenty four to seven, and it was a very stark visual picture for me as.
Speaker 1: Of what the shrinking of your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so obviously your silver sirens in your community. You're very much about connecting, Yeah, bringing the women together. What do you love most about spending time with women in this face of their lives?
Speaker 3: Look, I think the laughter, you know, and we talk about, you know, a fewer folks to give, you know, we talk about that, and that gets better as you age. You know, I'm sixty next, and I'm expecting to be dropping more fucks next every.
Speaker 1: Birthday, every birthday, you know.
Speaker 3: But I think there's a there's an honesty you know that happens. And when we have our monthly lunches, you know, we do a talking stick thing where we go around the room. We do five minute stage and we talk and you really see the women are very open and they're very vulnerable, and they're very real, and there's a richness in what they share, you know, and there's a lot of laughter. There's something about again, it is that thing where we take ourselves less seriously and we're not so confined in this idea that I can't say that because I don't want people to you know, to judge me, or you know, that idea that we want that image management and we get so stuck in I think my twenties, thirties on some of my forties were so stuck in that image management. That drops away, so you get to see real people. So the connections are meaning for the deep. They're rich, you know, and I walk away always feeling fed by those You know, something very beautiful about it. If you ever came to a civil sarer's event, that's one thing you get straight away you walk through the door. It's almost like I always say, you feel like it's like it's like collectively.
Speaker 1: We all take off our bras.
Speaker 3: You just feel that you know, and everyone just relaxes, and it's that this is who I am. And I always get that feedback. It's like I'm totally accepted for who I am, and for once, I don't have to suck in my guard I don't have to do anything. I can just relax completely.
Speaker 2: And I love that when you look so as you said, you're turning sixty six in a few months, which is you know, no age at all, when you with all your experience and from where you began, as you were saying of everyone wanted to be the old, the older person, the elder, the wise. When you look at your what I call like your proper old age, Like what kind of elder do you want to be? What do you see in twenty thirty years?
Speaker 3: So I know I often talk about being an elder in training, you know, and it's it's a badge of honor for me, you know. And I think that my sixties, this decade, I really want it to be about intentional aging, you know. And what that looks like for me is I think we can kind of run through our lives and we've got a few goals here and there, but we're not intentional about how the people were becoming. So for me, I want to be intentionally agent. And again, doctor Stephanie Burns talks about, you know, she reminds us that from the age of twenty to fifty, we've lived thirty years, and so many things happen in those thirty years.
Speaker 1: Now from fifty to eighty, we're repeating.
Speaker 3: The same amount of time, so we're going to have the same amount of possibilities and adventures, you know. So when I think that that, yeah, when I think about that, I think I did so much in my twenties to fifty, like, how can I replicate that? But in you know, reflecting to where I'm going. So I think about very much being intentional ager and age and elder in training. I think about what sort of elder do I want to be, you know? And I want to stay curious, you know, and for like ever learning, ever grow. And I think one of the things that I see the people that are struggling with aging is that curiosity is not there. There's a sense that they've done everything they're supposed to do. Now they're waiting.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We're almost like I don't fit in the world anymore because it's made for the young people whatever. Yes, And it's almost like your self select that you're out of it rather than in.
Speaker 3: It exactly, So how do we stay in it? So intentional aging for me is staying very much connected with life. I don't think about it as being relevant. And sometimes I hear the conversation I relevance that just annoys me because I don't think we should be trying to be relevant.
Speaker 1: I think if we're just.
Speaker 3: Being and living life with curiosity, it's not about being relevant.
Speaker 1: What does it really mean?
Speaker 2: Because I mean I say that about myself. Sometimes I'm like, oh my god, am I becoming irrelevant? And then but what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just another label that just again it constricts. It's like the same as invisibility, you know. So for me, it's really I think our biggest role as elders is mentoring and being role models for the younger generation. I think if we hide, disappear, shrink, we're not showing young women that there's a lot to live for and they've got this vibrant life ahead of us, and I think it's a responsibility for us to show them the kind of lives they can live, you know. And I take that really seriously.
Speaker 2: Like when you are talking at the beginning of our conversation today about your mom, is your mom still with us? She is, yeah, And how is she doing now?
Speaker 3: She's ata Well, she's not the sort of elder that she would have liked to be because she had some health issues which really slowed her down. You know, so in terms of physical you know, mobility, it's quite as more restrictive than she would be. She's always been quite an active person, but she got ill about five years ago, and that kind of really derailed her health. But in terms of mental health, she's as sharp as a whistle. She's still the person that everyone talks goes to. You know, she's a matriarch and very much the center of our family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh well, I'm very happy to hear that.
Speaker 1: Faith.
Speaker 2: It's been amazing to talk to you today.
Speaker 1: I feel fool I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved it. I love there are so many things I'm gonna have to slow down and think about that. Look, if you loved this episode, and I obviously love talking to Faith, I think I particularly found a lot of revelation in that honest conversation about what happens when you don't get what you want, which has happened to all of us in very different ways, and how you deal with it, and her honesty around the midlife crisis and what came next. And if you want more conversations of that level of honesty and intelligence, I encourage you to flick back through mid because we've got loads of them. Listen to Christine Anau, who I spoke to in season one about She talks really honestly about the mistakes that she made as a mother and how sometimes your adult kids will turn around and talk to you about them, and again you just have to accept what is rather than what you think think should be. To Gina Chick, who lived through the unimaginable of losing her little daughter and about how she reimagined her life after that. And with Ali Daddo, who, like Faith, was a model who's you know, a lot of her life and self worth was caught up with what she looked like when she was younger and what does that feel like to let go of as you get older. All of those conversations you can find in our mid feed if you just slick back. I can't thank you all enough for being here with us as we have these meaningful conversations that hopefully make you laugh a little bit too. We're going to be back in your ears next week and until then, big thanks to our team Executive producer Nama Brown, senior producer Grace Rufray, our producer Tarlie Blackman, and our audio producer Jacob Brown. See you next week.