Speaker 1: I just kept on hoping that there were you know, there was far better things out there than because I was just so miserable. I was like, it can't be worse than this, And so I wrote my parents a letter, and I was like, the only way they're going to actually let me go is if I say that I've slept with this guy Matt, and I hadn't, but I was like, I'm going to get kicked out of the cult for two years for sleeping with someone outside of the cult.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm Kate Lanebrook, and my guest on No Filter today is Beck Condello. How much of who you are was chosen by you? And how much was chosen for you. Beck was born into the Geelong Revival Center, a Pentecostal church she now describes as a cult. From the outside, it looked like an ordinary religious community. Inside, it shaped every aspect of her life, what she believed, who she trusted, who she could love, and what might happen if she ever left. For years, Beck accepted that world as normal because it was all she'd ever known. But eventually the questions began to surface, and those questions would lead her to leave not only the church she was raised in, but also the marriage and identity that had been built within it. Today we talk about fear and freedom, belonging and loss, and what it takes to build a life of your own after spending years living somebody else's version of it. This is Bet Condelo. Bet Condello, welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited, Well, I'm quite excited to speak to you because your story is a really wide ranging, fascinating tale of really, I guess, escape and redemption and finding yourself. It should be. I mean, did you think about calling it eat prey love. It's a millennial, modern day it is, especially the praying part. Now, can you tell me and the listeners why that is you spent so much time on your knees praying? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, so I was born into a Pentecostal Christian doomsday cult in Australia. My parents joined a couple of years before I was born, and so I was told from a really young age that God was returning to the earth any day now, and if I hadn't prayed properly that morning, or the day before or that night, I was going to burn in hell. And so I grew up with the mortal fear of God and going to hell and my parents disowning me if I ever sinned.
Speaker 2: Right, And when you said pentecostal, what does that mean? Is that the people that speak in tongues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking tongues, you know, follow the King James version of the Bible Jesus Diversians.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Very I think for most intents and purposes, like that very basic idea of Christianity with the added layer of every other Christian is wrong, except if you go to our.
Speaker 2: Church, okay, and there's always like the fear of hell fire, eternal damnation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and everything was if you weren't you know, if you were sick, if you couldn't make it to you know, a church meeting, if you know, you were struggling with anything that was a lack in your faith. And so while you had a lack in your faith, your soul was at risk. And I think that was their biggest way of like keeping us and controlling us, because when I tell everyone about it, they're just like, but why were people staying?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But also I think there was that layer of fear and just enough to keep people hooked, you know, because there was a sense of community, but also there was the isolation that came with it. You know, if you your family, if they didn't joined, you had to disown them, and you couldn't hang out with people outside of it, so you were really isolated.
Speaker 2: I was raised to Jehovah's Witness, and I can say in your book, can you handle a girl like me? No cult ever describes themselves as a cult. Yeah, which is so interesting. It's true. It's like when you have bought into the beliefs, to you, they seem so right, and inarguable the cult sounds like an insult.
Speaker 1: It actually took me a really long time after leaving, and even now sometimes I still just call it a church because it's not that I don't necessarily think it's a cult. Cult just felt very dramatic, and it was sort of something you watch a documentary about on Netflix, and I guess because we didn't live on some remote property wearing gowns, and you know, you watch Handmaid's Tale and anyone could look at it and just think we were maybe exclusive Brethren or Jehovah's Witness, or we just looked like we were a bunch of Christians like you didn't look no one would have known.
Speaker 2: And so you were modesty dressing. Yeah, very trad values in your upbringing. Your father was the head of the household exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and women, for the most part, really didn't have a voice. And I think now my friends are wondering why I'm always yapping about feminism, and I'm just because I didn't have a voice for most of my life, and I had to fight really hard. You know, I only went to school for six years. I couldn't have had a career. It was really my goal in life to be a wife and mother, And not that there's anything wrong with either of those two things, but that is all I got told I could be as a woman.
Speaker 2: So you only went to school for six years because you were home schooled.
Speaker 1: I was homeschooled, which didn't actually have anything to do with the cult. That was my parents had an additional layer of being very like controlling, and my mom especially and that was her idea a homeschoolers. And so it wasn't until I was ten that I begged my parents to let me go to school because I just wanted to have friends and I just wanted to be normal, and even within the cult, community. My brother and I were a weird kid.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah. And within your family, it was interesting because we were talking about that traditional your father being the head of the house, but it was very much It seems that your mother called the shots emotionally, yes, and seemed to be a very complex, unhappy woman. How did that manifest for you day to day as a as a child, as her daughter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think I just spent a lot of my childhood really just trying to please my mum and make her happy and make her love me. And I don't think i'll ever really understand why she was the way she was. I think she had a lot of maybe frustrations with the way her life had been. I think that my dad was the first boyfriend she ever had, and you know, sort of just married him and it was like, well, you guys can't be together unless you know, you can't be in the cult and be together unless you get married. So I think they got married quite quickly. And again I think, you know, she was quite young, so I think that pressure within the cult to have children, and it was a different time then too, it was the early eighties. I think that, you know, so she finished her university degree early and she starts, it's actually really funny and I can't remember, but I know it had something to do with literature. I think she wanted to be a writer, which for me feels like this very bizarre, full circle moment where in a different world she would have been really proud at me. So it's very weird, especially because I spent so much of my childhood just trying to keep her happy. And she really was the you know, everything started and ended with her in our house, and like she said, like for all intensive purposes. My dad was the head of the house, and I guess if he had stood up to her or whatever, she would have respected him. But I think it was easier for him to just placate her and to keep her happy at the detriment of my brother and I, And I think I absolved him of a lot of blame for a lot of the you know, like, my mom was never the one that hit me growing up. She would tell my dad to hit me, and she would say that, you know, I had done something whatever wrong. She would you know, get in one of her moods, and it was very arbitrary, and she would tell my dad to hit me. And she he just did whatever she told him to do, and I think it just became easier for him. That was his survival, I guess, in the house. And so I absolved him of a lot of blame for a really long time because I felt bad for him, Like no child should ever feel bad for their parents when it's the parent that's hitting them. And I think it wasn't until I was writing my book that I was like, oh, my god, like, actually, my dad should have protected me, Like he had a responsibility as my parent to keep me safe and he didn't.
Speaker 2: You tell a story in the book about your dad carving like lovingly and carefully carving a spoon and painting it bright yellow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when I.
Speaker 2: Was reading it, I should have known better. I was like, Oh, he was crafty. I know, he had made a wooden spoon with which to hit you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he was actually a very creative and crafty person. So it's kind of weird that this was also then something he created. And I remember it almost being like this little joke, you know. And they really justified hitting children in the cult because there was a scripture that basically said train up a child in the way he should go when he's old, he'll not depart from it, right, Yeah, And so that was their justification. And I think, in a weird way, my parents genuinely thought that they were doing the right thing for my eternal salvation by hitting me, you know, like the more you hit your child, the more guaranteed their place in heaven was because that's what God wanted. And so I think in their weird way, they thought they were doing the right thing, and that was their way of loving me. And yeah, he's hand made this wooden paddle that I used to have to go fetch from the they stored at the piano store. And then as I got bigger, he made a bigger one because obviously my little body got bigger. That didn't that wasn't big enough to hit me. And he used to go around and shut all the windows in the house so the neighbors wouldn't hear me screaming.
Speaker 2: But within the church or the cult, it wasn't unusual for children to be disciplined like that. There wasn't Occasionally he got stuck into you in public and you said, no one even turned their head to look what had you done as a little girl? That incurred that physical wrath.
Speaker 1: Ah, When I greeted the pastor, I didn't use his name, so I just said hello, and he was really angry that I hadn't to him. He saw it as a sign of disrespect. And I would have been maybe gosh, maybe seven, six or seven.
Speaker 2: Like I was young, and you were scared of the pastor.
Speaker 1: I was scared like they had ultimate authority, they were unquestionable, and he just genuinely was not a warm person. And I was a really timid child, Like I remember, I used to cry sometimes if a stranger talked to me because I was just so shy. And so I said hello, and he got angry because I didn't say his full name. And then it just became this thing that went on for months, and I think it was just my anxiety. Like I would just you know, my dad would make me go up and say, you know, hello and use his full name. I would just freeze and like the words just could not come out of my mouth. And I knew what was coming if I didn't do it, but they just saw it as a sign of rebellion that had to be beaten out of me, essentially.
Speaker 2: And there was an occasion where the pasta this is such a strange story. Can you tell me when the pasta So you were away at a camp? Was it all?
Speaker 1: Oh? So? No, so we went we had like a church barbecue on oh okay, yeah, if anyone knows camb Or. It was a tidpinvilla nature reserve and so we were all having our little barbecue. Got there. Same thing happened. Every time I saw the pastor. It was like, you need to go up and say hello to him. Same thing happened. I froze, couldn't say it, and then without warning, he just grabbed my hand and just like took me off into the pine forest, and no one stopped him. So I feel like there must have been some kind of conversation that I was just not aware of that they were he was going to do this, and I was terrified, Like I was not sobbing, you know, I just remember I just couldn't catch your breath. And he basically said to me he wouldn't return me to my parents until I said hello properly.
Speaker 2: And as a little kid that of a forest with this giant.
Speaker 1: Man so far away from my parents, he's walking me deeper into the forest and he's like, you are not going back to your parents until you say hello to me properly. And as a little kid, that's a very real threat. Like I mean, now, as an adult you're like, well, of course he would have returned to me at some point, But as a kid, you're like, oh my god, I'm never going to go back to my parents, Like this is going to be it. And I'm with this man that I'm terrified of in this forest. So eventually I sort of sputted out the words out of pure fear.
Speaker 2: He was just heello pasta and his last name, right.
Speaker 1: And that's all he needed. And he was so smug, and it was almost just like that moment. And I had many moments like this as a kid where it's almost like when they broke me, then they were just sort of like content, you know, like that was like, yes see, I knew you were just being you know whatever, naughty or lazy or whatever. And he returned me to my parents. Back at the barbecue, no one said a single thing to me, and I was broken, like I had been sobbing, and no one even offered me a hug or a tissue or any consolation. My parents were happy, because then he was happy and that's all that mattered.
Speaker 2: So in that circumstance were normally a child would turn to one of their parents, Yeah, who could you turn to? No one?
Speaker 1: And that was most of my childhood, if not all of my childhood. I never could turn to anyone for any kind of consolation or any reassurance or Yeah. I went through most of my childhood on my own.
Speaker 2: And because children are curious. Yeah, that's one of the jobs of children is to be curious. You learned really early that that was not the case for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I guess you know, curiosity generally in the cult was seen as questioning the pastors or God or you know, questions were not welcome because anything you needed to know was in the Bible. So if you had a question, you just prayed about it, and if you couldn't figure it out, that was on you, Like that was your lack of faith. So you just had to keep on praying and hope that you'd figure it out or you just forgot about it. And I'm still a very curious person. Like if I had to think of like a theme word for my life, it's curiosity. Like I'm curious about people in life and the world. And I've always been curious, but that was just seen as naughty. And you know, even if I got into trouble for something I could never, no one ever would explain to me why I was in trouble. Like I'd be like, well, I want to know so I don't do it again, or I can learn from this, or and that would either be met with being hit again or being told off or ignored or whatever.
Speaker 2: So all the answers are in the Bible. But the Bible doesn't talk about sanitary napkins. You asked. You made the mistake of asking about a sanitary napkin. Hmmm, tell me about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Again'm not sure how old I was, but like, yeah, maybe it was kind of around the same time, and i'd gone to use we used to have our church meetings outside of it, like in a community hall, And so I went to the toilet one day on a Sunday and someone had stuck up on paper on the wall. I guess, you know, whoever ran the community hall don't flush sanitary napkins, and I think tampons or something down the toilet.
Speaker 2: I had no idea.
Speaker 1: What that was, but I'm like, I don't know what it is so like if I don't know, and maybe I'll do it, and I don't know what it is. And I mean, I was so young it didn't apply to me. But I didn't know. And so I remember I came out of the toilet store and there was a girl who was five years older than me, and I asked her, like super innocently, I was like, Hey, what's the sanitary napkins? She got so embarrassed, which I feel like most girls would have gotten embarrassed, but I realized she was also afraid. I think she was scared of telling me something that she wasn't supposed to tell me and then she might get into trouble, and so she got really awkward and nervous and she was like, oh, you need to ask your mom. And I remember just being mortified, being like, oh my god, I've got asking my mom. There's no way I'm asking it. Like now, I feel like I need to be scared of this. And so I just never knew, and no one ever told me, and like, that's such an innocent, silly question that I feel like most kids at some point asked their parents weird questions, you know. And I just remember being terrified that someone was going to tell my mom that I'd asked this question and I was going to get into trouble, and so I just stopped asking questions at some point.
Speaker 2: So what would happen? Then beck with like when you got your period? How was that handled?
Speaker 1: So I actually got my period quite young. I was like eleven, and even I think, I feel like it wasn't long before I got my period, maybe six months. My mom had given me a very basic, you know, birds and the Bees talk, and there was a book which I don't know if you've heard of it, but it's called Where did I Come From Andy's seventies?
Speaker 2: Yes, right, with drawings. Yes, I had drawings.
Speaker 1: And the funny thing about the drawings is that I think it had been handed around by many mothers in the in the cold, and there must have been a boy version of the book and a girl version of the book, because in the girl version of the book, all the boys' penises had been blacked out with a sharpie.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, so it was.
Speaker 1: These very very basic like sex conversation, very awkward. My mom was just like, if you got any questions, and it's like you only know what you know, right, so of course I didn't have any questions because I was just like, Okay, this seems terrifying, and I you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's always terrifying to have that took. It's always it's a horrible particularly you know, blacked out penis pictures, and.
Speaker 1: I I just never, even like years later, when I had the proper sex talk, it wasn't like it was so.
Speaker 2: That week rush that was with my mom.
Speaker 1: That was with my mom, but had like some more details, you know, the when included in the period talk.
Speaker 2: Because your mother, who'd come from an Italian background also I imagine quite conservative and religious background, but probably Catholic. I imagine, Yes, yep, she'd had quite a sheltered upbringing as well.
Speaker 1: Look, I think she had, but she hadn't you know, like she had everything she needed. Her parents would take her on holidays, her parents bought her first car for her, you know, like she had a good education. She had quite a big, extended Italian family. I don't know how sheltered it was. I don't think she was out partying every weekend. But I mean I think even the fact that they let her move to Canberra when she was eighteen nineteen to go to university, right, Yes, you know, like, I don't think she was that sheltered.
Speaker 2: But what drew her? Like people always do crazy things for love. We know that that is so extreme, like for you to talk about the family, her family that you later made contact with, this giant, warm tumble of a family with cousins and aunties and uncles and whatever, for her to turn her back on them and to step into this really emotionally barren life. Yeah, what do you think? I mean? I know that you don't know because she wasn't forthcoming. Yeah, but your understanding of it through a lot of the work that you've done. How do you make sense of it?
Speaker 1: Knowing obviously, Yeah, I can't speak to who she was or why she made the decisions that she did, But knowing who I grew up with, she very often saw her is the victim in situations. And I think if I can speak more broadly about why I think people join cults anyway, is I think people really do crave a sense of belonging. And I look at my mom, and you know, she was eighteen nineteen she met my dad, and he was like in his later twenties, so there was a bit of an age gap, and you know, this was her first time living away from home. I think he was her first proper boyfriend and being older than her, and then he joins this cult and then brings her along, and I just feel like, you know, I remember when I left my ex partner and I went to Morocco for the first time by myself. I was there for three weeks, and then next minute I wanted to move there, and it's like, in no world should I could I have moved to Morocco. But it's like, I think, suddenly, when you have access to this world, in this life that you've never had, suddenly everything just feels possible. And you know, I feel like everything was just happening at this super fast speed and the world had just opened up to her. And I think, you know, if I can give her any grace, she was only eighteen or nineteen, you know, like, and she's making these huge, big life decisions. And I think she had to convince herself that she had come from a bad family or that she'd had a bad experience, you know, like, because how else do you justify it. And maybe she had kind of always felt like the odd one out in her family. Maybe she had never really felt like she fitted in. Did that mean that they deserved to be cut off from her? Absolutely not. And I think with age and time she would have maybe been able to come back round to them as a woman. But yeah, unfortunately she never saw them ever again.
Speaker 2: Nor did she come back round to you.
Speaker 1: No. And I feel like when you you know the fact that she cut her parents off at such a young age to join the cold and then kind of just out, you know, all she had was my dad and then obviously the small cult community, and then growing up my family was like super small. It was literally my dad and my brother and my mom and I didn't even know I had this whole family out there. Yeah, I don't know. It makes me sad because, like we was saying before, like I think that she was studying literature at university, Like, man, she'd be so proud of me. Now like it's just so sad, like she's missing out of my life.
Speaker 2: And to reconcile who she was with who she became.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, and that was something I think. Writing my book was so cathartic for so many reasons, but I think it really helped me give language with my adult brain to a lot of things that I'd experienced as a child and really see my parents as adults and as you know, I when I did eventually meet my grandparents, my grandma showed me a photo of my mom when before she'd moved away to UNI, so she would have been maybe like seventeen, and she's in their backyard. She's wearing this like very plunging, like one piece, you know, swim suit, and she's under the sprinkler and she's like laughing, like head thrown back, like laughing. And it was the most I actually kept the photo because it was the most human version of my mum I think I'd ever seen, and there was this never made woman, never met her, and I was like, oh my gosh, my mom was a whole person that I just never knew. And it was really sad because I was always grieving the mom that I could have had, and I've also a grieved the dad I could have had, you know, Like I talked in my book about how my dad was an artist and he painted these like very like surreal, kind of weird paintings, but incredibly talented. He used to read to my brother and I and do all the voices, and I remember at some point before my teens, he just kind of stopped doing all.
Speaker 2: Of that, and the paintings disappeared from.
Speaker 1: The war, paintings disappeared because the cold pressure. No, I think just people lost their souls. I think, you know, I wonder who my parents would have been had they not ever married each other, had they not ever joined the cult. I think they would have been such incredible humans with so much to offer the world. And I just feel like over time that was just eroded away from them more.
Speaker 2: With beck Condello coming up, there was a concerted effort on behalf of your parents, believing they were doing the right thing, and from the congregation of the cult as a whole, to beat out of you your curiosity and to make you fit, to make you conform. Yeah, but that never happened.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes it was like, you know, two steps forward and five steps back, and you know, sometimes I felt like I'd make some progress, and then I think ultimately, you know, I think for so long before I eventually left, I was so scared that like, but what if I'm wrong? Like what if I leave? And then I'm just tormented for the rest of my life thinking but what if God does return? What if I did mess up? You know, like when you've been told it's like you've been told from like a baby that the sky is blue and then someone's like, no, no, it's purple, you know. And that's been the biggest thing I think is as actually doubting myself and questioning my own reality. I think that's been such a hard lesson for me to like learn and to have that trust in myself, because yeah, I just had so much. I was so afraid that if I left, I would find out that I was wrong.
Speaker 2: And also thrust into the arms of worldly people who you had been taught were all bad, all evil. And so then when you met the man who would become your husband, who was a part of the cult steven. Before that you were on the casp, you'd written a letter to your parents saying that you wanted to leave. Yeah, but you hadn't given it to them.
Speaker 1: No, I was about twenty, and you know, I remember when I was in Sunday school growing up, there were so many kids that we had like three Sunday school classes, you know, junior, like there was a junior, senior, and I don't know what the middle one was gone, but you know, there was so many of us, like there were just so many families. I really do believe that in those very early days, very early days, it was maybe a controlling but relatively healthy church. And then I think over the years, I think the pastors realized how much control and sway they could have, and I feel like it just got progressively more and more controlling and emotionally abusive. And so a lot of the kids that I'd gone to Sunday School with either ran away when they were teens and they left themselves, or their parents left and they left with their parents, or the girls would marry someone in another city in the cult and move away. And so I remember, by the time I was twenty, I had no friends. I wasn't allowed to be friends with anyone outside the cult, and I was just so desperately.
Speaker 2: Lonely and sad.
Speaker 1: And I remember I was working as a receptionist at the time, I had an office job, and we'd gone away for a couple of nights to Orange, I think, and we're in this country town and we'd all gone out for a work dinner to the local pub. I'd never even been to a pub before, and the bartender was this super cute guy named Matt, and somehow we ended up back in his apartment. He lived upstairs above the pub, and him and I kissed and it was just like so exhilarating, and I weirdly didn't feel guilty, and I had thought that I would feel so guilty and I didn't, and we ended up just like making out the entire night. We didn't sleep together, and I remember I came home and it was almost like I'd had this little glimmer of like life on the outside world and it wasn't so bad, and so I was like, Okay, I think I want to leave, like I think it'll be okay. I had no plan. I had no I didn't know where I was going to stay. I had no real friends, except you know, there.
Speaker 2: Was a girl.
Speaker 1: I just I just kept on hoping that there were, you know, there was far better things out there than because I was just so miserable. I was like, it can't be worse than this, and so I wrote my parents a letter and I was like, the only way they're going to actually let me go is if I say that I've slept with this guy Matt, and I hadn't, but I was like, I'm going to get kicked out of the cult for two years for sleeping with someone outside of the cult. So I knew that they couldn't argue with that. They'd be mad and angry and disappointed, but they would kick me out of the house, and I'd be like, well, you know, they kicked me out, what can I do? And so I wrote them his letter confessing to sleeping with him, and unfortunately i'd already so we would have like church camps at Christmas time, like scattered around the country, and my parents had gone away to Fiji for the church end of your camp, and I was meant to go somewhere else. And it was kind of at that time when you book flights and it was like there was no other you know, you couldn't just easily transfer your flights or you know, it wasn't like it is now. And so I was like, well, I've already booked my flights. I'm just gonna have to keep it. I'll go away. And I was going to be back home before my parents got back from Fiji. So I was like, I'll go away for the two weeks, I'll come back, pack up all my stuff, leave the letter out for them, and I'll have left by the time they get back. Went away to the church camp and that's where I met Steven and got home ripped the letter up. I really felt like he was very confident and self assured, and so I think I had this moment where I was like, Oh, maybe maybe I can stay and this guy will be like my ticket to freedom, you know, like he seems a little different to the other guys. He seems a little more I don't know, I don't know what I thought he was.
Speaker 2: I just a lot of the.
Speaker 1: He just seemed like a freethinker, and I guess because I was a free thinker, and I was like, yeah, there's this guy that's kind of like me, you know, like maybe actually I could stay and I wouldn't have to lose my family, I wouldn't have to lose my whole community, and maybe I could stay and be happy.
Speaker 2: Right However, because the rules about dating were so restrictive, you didn't really get a chance to know him, did you. What were the rules not about spending time together?
Speaker 1: And yeah, so before he could even ask me out or we could even have like a conversation, Like I saw him and I thought he was cute and that was about it, you know, and he had to talk to his pastor and his dad, and then my dad and then my past don't know and talked to me, and then finally I was the last person that got spoken to. And by that point I had already dated two other guys in the cult, and that was super frowned upon because most people like married the first person they dated. So the fact that I'd already gone through like two relationships so just just so funny now when you think about dating now. But and I remember my pastor pulled me aside and he was basically like this to work, like, you have to marry this guy, basically, right, And you know, it's not that I didn't want to. I just didn't know him, you know. Like we I worked out that we hung out for like seven weekends before we got married, and he lived in another city, so you know, like he could only come up every six weeks to see me. We couldn't sleep together. We really had Friday night and Saturday during the day, and then Saturday night would be at youth, like the youth meeting all day. Sunday would be at church, and then he'd head home Sunday afternoon and so we were just strangers, and I didn't think that, you know, Like I'm young, and I thought I was in love, and so I thought I knew him. I didn't know. I didn't even know myself. And so we got married and I moved down to where he was, and we just never should have gotten married, Like we didn't know a single thing about each other. We were so misaligned.
Speaker 2: And also he had sort of mislead you about the life that you were going to be leading together, So you thought that there would be a lovely house that he'd been working on for the pair of you, and instead where did you end up?
Speaker 1: So I don't know if he intentionally misled me. I feel like he I do think he had good intentions. I don't know why I'm justified this, but I feel like he did have good right, you know, like I do think within his own I do think he thought he was doing the right thing. I just don't think he communicated to me clearly. So, like while I was planning the wedding, he was working and renovating our house that he'd bought. And so I packed up all my stuff in Canberra and loaded it up in his car and thought that I was moving into our house and we got there, there was no toilet, there was no ceiling, like you know, it was not even close to being finished. And without any kind of conversation or consultation with me, it was like, well, we're just going to go stay at my parents' house. And his parents had a large house, but no newlyweds when you've never slept together, want to be sleeping in the room opposite the in laws. And his mum was also not a particularly kind person. She made me feel very judged, and she had lots of opinions on lots of things, and you know, think of the stereotypical mother in law, and I.
Speaker 2: Was just that she was cult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, So I could never have married anyone. And his parents he had not been born into it, but his parents had joined when he was about seven, and he was the youngest of I think five kids, so yeah, for as most of his life he'd been he'd grown up in it. So yeah, she was definitely in the cult. So I was his dad, And yeah, it just wasn't conducive to like having intimacy for the first time, and I already felt super nervous about sex and all of that because the blacked out penises in the book, and you know, like I really didn't know what to expect, and it was just it was a disaster. And you know, ultimately, later on, years later, I found out that I had vaginismus, which made it physically impossible until I had physical therapy to have.
Speaker 2: S Is that psychological a psychological condition with a physical manifestation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably the best explanation I've heard of.
Speaker 2: A girlfriend of mine had it, actually, and I remember her saying to me once there was nothing wrong with me. I just didn't want to have sex with the guy that she had been with in her relationship.
Speaker 1: And I think like a lot of women, well a lot of women get it after childbirth or after a sexual assault, or you know, in my case, it was because I grew up in this super conservative Christian environment where sex was bad and dirty. And it's amazing you didn't have the connection with Steven.
Speaker 2: I didn't to it helped you to open like a flower, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that's it true, because like I mean, everything had been so repressed, like we'd had no real like intimate moments to get and then suddenly We're on our wedding night. And I don't know about most people, but I feel like, even if I got married again today, I don't think i'd feel like having sex after a long day of like weddings, and you know, I'd be like, I actually just.
Speaker 2: Want to go to bed.
Speaker 1: But he felt like it, Yeah, I mean obviously. I mean I kind of don't blame him. He's twenty two and he never had sex. So he's like, yes, this is finally my moment, and my body was just like absolutely not.
Speaker 2: And then so how did you on the you know, as as newlyweds, very hard to sort stuff out with your in laws, you know, four feet across the hallway from you. There was this always this underlying tension that the pair of you couldn't really resolve about the sexual nature. Was it also outside the bedroom? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I wonder like, would things have been different had we had I had like a better start. I don't think so. I think we were just two incredibly different human beings. Like if I tell anyone anything now about that relationship, they're just like, I just everything I know about you, I just can't imagine that you're with a guy like that, and I'm like, I know, and I you know, I just think we never should have been together. We were so different.
Speaker 2: And I think, ultimately, I think he just.
Speaker 1: Thought that I was being difficult or that like I was being weird about sex, you know. I think he thought, in his very A type brain that I could just fix it. And so every argument started to then just be around sex and money and just you know, you need to fix yourself, you need to like and it kind of continued that cycle that I'd had from a kid, where it was just like I felt like I had to earn love. I had to it was something I could fix. I had to like the words I was a problem.
Speaker 2: Was it that you weren't submitting? I don't know that I.
Speaker 1: Wasn't I wasn't submitting.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I genuinely just think that he thought that I just needed to fix my and I'm like, I don't know how to fix myself. I literally thought I was the only person in the world that had this broken vagina, Like that's in my brain what I thought. I was like, there's something wrong with my body, Like I'm broken. How do I fix it? I don't know how to fix it? It was kind of like pre like where everything's on Google kind of days, So I didn't I really didn't know, but I just knew that I was the problem.
Speaker 2: And was there pressure from the family then for you to get pregnant? How aware were they of what was going on with you?
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone knew, and I am kind of surprised we didn't have more pressure to have kids, Like I am really surprised that. I think people maybe just thought that we couldn't have kids because it was very unusual, like people would get married and two years later they'd be having or a year later they'd be having babies, So that is something. Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't know. If there were conversations that went on that I wasn't aware of, I wouldn't be surprised. But I feel like people maybe just assumed that we couldn't have kids, which technically I guess we couldn't, but that ultimately, even though it was like super traumatic and I ended up resenting my body for a really long time, actually ended up being the thing that saved me and helped me being able to get away and start the life that I have now. Well, because I just think that if I'd had kids, I think it would have just been so much harder, you know. I guess ultimately, when I ended up leaving Stephen, it was after ten years, after ten years of marriage, I really just wanted to go travel and live my life. And just you know, we'd left the cult a few years earlier, and so I was like, I just want to go live. I want to go get a chattoo, I want to go do some drugs.
Speaker 2: I want to go. You know, I just wanted to live.
Speaker 1: I wanted to do all these rites of passage, things that I'd never had the chance to do, and he just was not interested in doing any of those things. And just as time went on and on, I was just like I you know, I remember just before I turned thirty, I was having these like anxiety attacks in my sleep because I was waking up like not breathing. And I think ultimately I realized that I had already lost like thirty years of my life to keep other people happy. And I was like, I cannot turn forty. And I actually just turned forty last year. I was like, I can't turn forty and still be stuck, like I have something has to give, and it took me two more years after that before I finally left him.
Speaker 2: Right when you left the cult, Like that was interesting that you kind of did it in tandem. He in fact started questioning things overtly before you did. Or Yeah, so he.
Speaker 1: Had done some work. He was a trade and he'd done some work for a pastor of life, like another church, like not connected to the COLT, and so I think he'd sort of started to have conversations with him, and that was very frowned upon, like that was like super dangerous territory, you know, and so you never exposed to other people's beliefs. And I remember he came home and he told me about it. And even though I questioned the cult, even though I wasn't happy all of that, I was still scared. And so he came home and he was like, oh, I was talking to this guy that I'm working with and he's saying all these things, and I'm like, oh my God, like don't go there, like I don't question it, like this's whatever. And he just kept on because he kept on working with this guy, and he kept on just having more and more questions and he'd come home and then eventually I was like, you know what, like, I think he's onto something. And so then for about a year, him and I were just like it was probably the only thing we really deeply bonded over in our whole entire marriage that we were having these really deep conversations where we were really questioning our faith, the cults, you know, like our belief system. He was having more like, I guess, analytical questions about the Bible and the teachings, and I was more just questioning, like, I just don't think that like this is I didn't feel like, you know, I remember when I was like a teenager and I wanted to do the forty Hour Famine and I was told I couldn't because the kids in Africa.
Speaker 2: Needed the Bible, not our money.
Speaker 1: And I remember just being like, and this doesn't feel like what I imagine Christians to be like.
Speaker 2: There was just always something that just didn't feel right for me.
Speaker 1: And so that I was more just like looking at it from that perspective, and he was questioning the belief system, and so he was going back and forward, and he was like talking to his parents and talking to the pastes and questioning things, and their answer was just you need to pray about it pray harder, like pray, pray, pray, And because I couldn't give him the answers to his questions because then that would mean that maybe he was onto something.
Speaker 2: So ultimately they had to make curiosity no curiosity, so he had to be at fault.
Speaker 1: So they had to make him at faults, and they just couldn't come around, and he was getting so frustrated. And I remember one day he came home and with all the issues we'd had with like intimacy, one day we'd been talking and he was like, what this has to come from? Something like why can't you have sex? Like's what's the issue? And I remember saying, you know, like I feel like, you know, some things happened when I was a child, and I don't really have the full details on it, but I feel like I was assaulted and blah blah. But because I had never had a clear picture in my head, like, it would get to a point. And then I think because I was so naive and like I just didn't have the language for it as a kid, that I think that also helped me maybe not process what was happening in my brain because I didn't understand it. So the memories were like super fuzzy, but like as an adult, yes, and as an adult I can be like, oh no, something definitely happened, But as a kid, I didn't. I couldn't articulate what was happening. And so I had said to him, I was like, well, maybe this is why we can't have sex. Maybe it's becuse these things happened, you know. And so then for him that that was his He almost hyper fixated on that. He was like, oh, yep, absolutely, that's why we can't have sex. And so I think in some way it kind of absolved him of any responsibility for us not being able to have sex or any intimacy or you know, right, and so that kind of became his thing. And anyway, so when he's going talking to the pastors and his parents and blah blah blah, one day he said to me it was like, I feel like if I could tell them what happened to you as a child, that will make them question the cult, you know, like maybe that maybe they'll start to be like, oh, maybe it isn't so perfect, or maybe things can happen that we don't know about, or you know, I'm not quite sure what he's.
Speaker 2: Thinking, you know, but he and I to them he did so I was absolutely like, absolutely not. I wanted to do this.
Speaker 1: And then one day he went behind my back and he told them and he used it as leverage, I guess, to make a point whatever he was trying to make. And they did their little investigation and they were like.
Speaker 2: Oh the was he he was a teenager?
Speaker 1: Uh So there were multiple instances with different people. Unfortunately only one of them was left in the cult at that time, like the others had left and he was now in a position of authority within the car. Yeah, And so they did their little investigation and they came back and they're like, oh, so Beck's lying. And I was like, wait a sec Like these guys have said that they hear directly from God and God knows everything, and I know I'm telling the truth, and they said I'm lie, Like something's broken here. And for me, in that one moment, I was like, oh, okay, now I just call bs on this whole organization. Like it was so traumatic it having come out against my will and not in a way that I wanted it to ever come out, but simultaneously was like the best thing that could.
Speaker 2: Have happened because because you know, they sound.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: It says in the Bible the truth will set you free, and even though this was a truth that it hadn't been your idea to share or to follow up, it kind of did end up setting you free totally.
Speaker 1: Because then I had no doubt in my mind. I was like, oh, I just don't believe anything anymore that you guys have said. And I expected Stephen to be like, okay, cool, like let's get the hell out, and he was like, actually, you know what, I think maybe you're lying to and I might stay. And so I was like, well, I'm never setting foot back in there again, because to me, it's unquestionable now that actually everything is wrong. And he stayed. He stayed for another six months, and actively made that six months, that first six months of me being outside the cult and not having a single person in the world and kind of really being ejected into the outside world against my will. He made that nobody ten times, nobody not as ault.
Speaker 2: I'll be back with beat Condelo after this short break. This is so so really profound actually that you say in your book for anyone who's been through this sort of experience, and I guess it doesn't even really have to be religious. But for anyone who's been ostracized or who feels like they're alone, you say, for most people, even in their losses, there was still some foundation, a parent, a hometown, a belief system to fall back on, some kind of tether that reminded them they weren't alone. But I hadn't just lost one person. I had lost hundreds, my family, my home, my faith, my community, my identity. I was no longer a daughter, a sister, or a wife. I didn't belong anywhere or to anyone.
Speaker 1: That makes me really emotional. I know I wrote it, but like, yeah, that's really how I felt, like I can't and I hope that no one ever really has to experience that, because it's a very bizarre feeling, just kind of like feeling like you're just floating. And it actually took me years after that to actually feel tethered in the world. And I would say that I've only really felt some strong anchors in the world in the last maybe two to three years, and that's taken like a lot of work to get that. Well.
Speaker 2: You also, it was like when the Rubber band was released, you shot out into the world. So you went to Bali, you went to Morocco. When you talk about the first guy, was it Josh that you met in Bali and you had a date with him, and then you were like, this is it? This is the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is it.
Speaker 2: I found my other half and he.
Speaker 1: Was like he was just an an f boy, And I didn't know that at the time. I just like, you know, So this was five years after I'd left the Cold and then eventually left Stephen, and so I took off traveling within a month of leaving Stephen, and yeah, I met this guy. And I mean, now I'd run a mile if I met someone like him. But I think at the time I was just so naive.
Speaker 2: Also Bali, it's Bali, you know.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I had left my ex, you know, like six months prior to that. You know, I was very naive. I was very open and raw hearted, you know. I think my ex had moved on so quickly that I think there was a part in me that also wanted that validation, and I was desperate for an anchor, like I wanted my person. I think I went for a really long time after that into every dating experience, wanting that person to be my anchor and just putting so much. You know, I think we can all when we're dating put a little too much into but I think for me, I was like, oh, no, you have to be everything and this has to be it and this has to work.
Speaker 2: And like what I think, I had nothing And when you so sexually, also then you'd had an awakening by this time, or you had that physical yearning that you hitherto had not really had no And it's.
Speaker 1: So weird because actually, the whole time I was with Stephen, I did kind of feel like I was a sexual person, you know, like I used to sneakily watch porn and masturbate and you know, so I felt like I had this in me and so it was very confusing that that didn't align with what my body was doing. Yeah, And so then after I left him, I went to therapy, I went and saw a gynecologist, and like sort of combined with those two things, within months, I was able to have sex. But I mean, you can think that the first time you had sex, like I just feel like I was thirty two and I'm having sex for the first time. So it's just not great. It's very unsatisfying. It's kind of awkward. You know, in a perfect world, it would have been great if I had met someone who was kind and nurturing and really like helped me through that process. But I didn't. And then I think in a weird way, I would kind of just like, not trauma dump, but I'd be like, oh, I've never had sex or like, you know, and so then obviously that's going to put a hell of a lot of pressure, which I thought it was helping, but I guess in hindsight it probably made them so anxious.
Speaker 2: And then that was a lot of the work that you had to do as well when you were analyzing your relationships, so with your mother's side of the family that that you then rediscovered and then kind of moved away from again with various romantic relationships. Then you find yourself working in South Africa, there's another sexual assault, then there's actually rape. You really were thrust out into a world where you you had to try. I feel like you had to explain yourself. But the explaining yourself didn't help, Like you see.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, I think it. It did multiple things and none of them were helpful. I think I did it because I had no strong sense of my own self and identity. I think I didn't want people to feel sorry for me. But I also think that I didn't know how to connect with people. And I realized very early on that people were interested in the cult and trauma, and so I think that attracted a very specific kind of person both ically.
Speaker 2: Mean as well. Yes, so for me, like because of the chasteness of that's associated with you being in the cult, there's obviously going to be some sort of man who's attracted to that just for the sense that he can kind of violate this chaste creature.
Speaker 1: I think there was some of that. I think there was also a lot of I would be very open with the fact that I was a bit lost and that I didn't have family, and you know, so I think it really appealed to people that liked to be needed, and I think there were men who really wanted to you know what. I'd say, oh, I don't think I've ever been in love, and then they'd be like, I'll be the one to save you. But they kind of came in empty handed, but they wanted to be like that feeled their ego, I think a little bit like they wanted to be the one just for the sake of being not because they actually cared about me or they were like had genuine intentions, but I think they liked the ego boost, and I would just go in all head first, like I'd be like, this is you know, like when I met the guy in Bali, I was like, Oh, yeah, this is it, you know, And then I think when it came to it, they're like, oh no, this isn't a thing, you know, Like once the thrill wore off and I would think it was going somewhere and they'd be like, oh no, no, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know what you thought this was.
Speaker 1: And I'd be like, wait what and what did.
Speaker 2: You learn that you really wanted?
Speaker 1: Gosh ah, Like I don't know, like when it comes to dating in that sense, Like at the time, I think I did get to a point though, where I'd had so many traumatic experiences. And I not that I blame myself necessarily for any of those things, obviously, like there were some really horrific experiences, but I am a very firm believer in like personal accountability, and I feel like if the same things in different you know, situation, they keep on occurring. I was like, I'm the common denominator here, like something in me is attracting these situations and people into my life. What can I work on so that I stop attracting those people into my life and these traumatic situations. And so I think I really realized that not only did I need to really pull back from dating and even making friends, but I just kind of needed to hunk down for like a year or two and just really focus on myself and healing and learning about myself and building my community like a really meaningful and intentional way. And I couldn't build my community until I learned about myself. And then I learned about myself, and then my community kind of just came. And I think I had been going to all the wrong places and all the wrong people just being like it was almost like I was just gathering people into you know, I was just like so desperate to be I was like, you'll do you. And now I look back at a lot of those people and like, then some of those people were nice enough people tho or whatever, but they weren't for me, Like they weren't for what I've been through and the kind of person I am and the way I show up in the world. I need a very specific kind of genuine, authentic, vulnerable person who's going to match that and not see that as a way to leverage their own ego their own needs, you know.
Speaker 2: And you have you found that? Yeah, now you've found a significant one significant person.
Speaker 1: Or oh no, I don't have that. Yeah I'm booked and busy now, No, like I think, but what I have is I have family. Now, I have people that I can call my family. I have a career that I love. I have such incredible people in my life that, yes, I would love someone to share my life with. But I'm also glad that I never settled with any of those people that I thought that I wanted something with because I almost I was saying to someone yesterday, I almost kind of get the EQ when I think about them now, because I'm like, they liked a very broken version of me, right, and that tells me everything about them. And so I'm like, now I feel so incredibly whole as a human. I like who I am. I love the life I have. Anyone who comes into my life is just going to add to that. I'm not like sitting here being like, can you like feel this huge void in me? And so yeah, I would love to have someone to share my life with, but it's no longer something that I'm desperately seeking and that I'm waiting for someone else to fill this hole. I feel like I have such a fool and loved and like happy life that it's yeah, if it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, I'll be okay when you've.
Speaker 2: Really given yourself freedom, which is probably really the only place that can come from. But there's always the shadow figures of the past, and they seem to dog you for a long time. You had a reunion with your father, m And how is that?
Speaker 1: Ah? It was a few years ago now, And it was actually when I was still with Stephen and he had reached out. So he had actually left the cults a year or two after I gotten married. And so I guess when.
Speaker 2: I your mother hadn't Your mother had no My.
Speaker 1: Mother hasn't, and she's still in it. My mom hasn't spoken to me since I left.
Speaker 2: Which must have been an enormous strain on their marriage.
Speaker 1: Oh, I guess I think I can't speak for their marriage, but I feel like I don't know that how much would have changed, Like I don't I never looked at my parents and thought that there were two people madly in love. I think it was a very.
Speaker 2: But as long as they had that in common, that was the yoke that bound them. If your father stepped away from that, the tension within that relationship, yeah.
Speaker 1: I imagine, and my mum, while she still remains in the church, can't leave my dad, and because that's against their belief, she can't get divorced. He would have to leave her, and I just don't I think he's probably very comfortable, you know. I don't think that he probably feels any need, you know, because she would still be fulfilling all her wifely duties, cooking and cleaning, doing all that stuff, you know. Yeah, So my dad reached out. I was still with Stephen, and I actually it was actually really lovely. He was like, you know, I realized that I probably wasn't a great dad, and that we could have done things differently, and I would love to come and see you. And it was a message I never expected to get from my dad. He wasn't the most emotionally aware person and you know, quite closed off emotionally, and just never thought that I would get that kind of recognition from him, and I wasn't waiting for it either, Like I was just you know, by the time I left the cult, I had no interest in connecting with him. The only I say my book, the only thing that connected me to my dad and my brother was trauma. And so you know, I hadn't wanted to reach out to him, and I was like, okay, and you know, I'd found out that he hadn't been well, and so he was in the process of getting a bunch of tests done, and you know that's I guess where this like moment of mortality came from, where he was like, oh, I better make things right. He wasn't able to come down and see me for about a month, and by the time he came down, found out that he wasn't dying and he was fine, and and so that that little moment of recognition had just completely dissipated, right, We never had it turned off, turned off, and he was back to the same person that I'd grown up with, and we never had a conversation, never had any moment of recognition or acknowledgment. And he went home, and I remember, I think that broke my heart even more because it was that moment where I realized he could be aware, you know, he did kind.
Speaker 2: Of know go somewhere. Yes, Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I think it was almost easier imagining that he just didn't have the emotional capacity to understand, but to know that he actually did have that but just didn't want to. It was just easy for him not to have that conversation ultimately because it didn't serve him.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think when it served him, he wanted to have that conversation, and when it no longer served him, it was no longer of interest to him to have that conversation. That broke my heart.
Speaker 2: You must have this must have come up in your therapy, As I said, You've done a lot of work, but you know, as a child, the messages that your parents love you more than anything in the world. Yeah, when you haven't had that experience, how do you comfort yourself or rationalize that to yourself.
Speaker 1: I think I became really good at just like numbing myself to things mentally, and I think I convinced myself that my parents loved me. I had no you know, when you're like I said, like, when you're a kid, you just know what you know, and so I had no perspective. I just thought that's what parents who loved you did. And obviously, ultimately then that carried into the kinds of relationships I had as an adult because I had learned that love had to be earned, Yes, but the love would have taken away and you would have seen it in your friends, or even the life that your mother lived before she left the car, where her parents were all in on her and let's get her a car and let's help her move. Yeah, I mean, I think I definitely saw that when I did end end up ultimately meeting my grandparents and my cousins and whatever, and I had this moment where I was like, huh, like this, you know, they they were just such a nice, functioning, loving family, and they were so intertwined into each other's lives and it was just so special, and I was like, man, I wonder how different my life would have been had I grown up with these guys also in my life, you know, maybe my parents could have been what they were, But then I could have like, you know, disappeared to my grandparents' house and had some respite and had some examples of healthy love and what family should look like. And even now, actually I've just I just got back into Australia a couple of weeks ago, and I was staying with some friends in California for about five months. And I think staying with them was really the first time ever in my life that I ever actually, I think, really got to experience family. Like I think that I've had lots of people say like, oh, yeah, we're your family now, you know, because I think it feels something for them as well, it makes them feel good. These were the first people that really genuinely like we'd go out for dinner and they'd be like, no, no, the parents pay when we go out for dinner, Like you don't pay, and I just I'd never It's it was just like this simplest little things that I just never experienced. And they're like, no, but this is what parents do. And I was like, ah, huh.
Speaker 2: What did you know when you say it was the first time you experienced family, What did family feel like?
Speaker 1: I just felt like I could be like completely and holy myself, you know, like if I wanted to spend a whole day in bed just rotting, that didn't care like or they would, you know, I felt like I was gonna be loved regardless you know, like I remember one day I was in a bit of a crappy mood and like I remember just like immediately apologizing, being like I'm so sorry, like and my friend was just like.
Speaker 2: Like we all have bad days. Like I didn't even I don't care.
Speaker 1: And I was like, Oh, I can actually be around people and I don't have to be perfect all the time, because I think I just thought that I always had to present really perfect and then people would love me. And then I was like, oh, I can be all all the things I am when I'm on my own around other people, and that might actually they might even love me more.
Speaker 2: Because they get to feel like, you know, like I.
Speaker 1: Think when we see all of you, Yes, they get to love every single iteration of me. And that was the first time I think I'd really wholly experienced that. And they weren't intentionally even trying to do that, Like they never once were like, oh where your family now? I mean they say that now, but that was never their intention. They just loved me because they loved me and poured massively into this huge hole that I just never thought whatever be felled.
Speaker 2: So Becky, you know when you said do you realized and this is a realization that a lot of people never come to in their life that the common denominator in the things that have happened to you, not excusing the terrible things that have happened that have been done by bad people, but that the common denominator was you. And you said you were attracting these things to yourself or the wrong people to yourself. That is such a tough realization to make about yourself. Like I said, most people are not capable of doing it. Where did that come from? And what was the moment where you want, oh, I can, I can take some agency in this.
Speaker 1: I feel like, for better or worse, it came from growing up in a home where I was always I mean, I wasn't the problem, but you know I always thought that, so I did become very and now I feel like that's my superpower is that I feel like I have really good self. You know I can. I've got good introspection into my own behaviors and other people. So it makes me very self aware and it also makes me, I think, very aware of other people's behaviors and why people And I think that's a big thing in my book that I'm very reflective. How and why people behave the way they did. I like to understand.
Speaker 2: People even when you'res have sort of cut you off or not cut you off, but they haven't shown the same degree of willingness to incorporate you into their life as you have shown to incorporate them into yours. And then you had the realization that maybe you were a bit needy with them.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, yeah, yeah, So I think it definitely came, like I said, from growing up in a home where I was always made to feel like I was the problem. But then I think as I got older, I think I really did just want some I'm very connected to my future self and who I want to be and the woman I want to be, even now, like to the point that I have to sometimes bring myself back into the present be like just enjoy this process. I just enjoy what's happening. But I know who I want to be and I know where I want to be, And so I feel like from that ten year old me that wanted to go to school, I knew I wanted freedom. I knew like I was looking ahead like I wasn't just like in the moment where I'm just like you know, so I feel For whatever reason, I've always been very and maybe it's because I was a day dreamers again, so I've always been very connected to the future version of my life. And so I realized, I was like, I don't want to keep on wasting time having these same things reoccurring. There has to be something, And I think I'd started to kind of claim I can't even say reclaim because I never had it, but I'd started to claim my power kind of bit by bit by bit, and so I was starting to realize from that, when I asked to go to school, I was like, huh, I have some power, Like I can, I can, There's something I can do. And so I think from there I realized that one little decision I made could have such a huge impact on my life. And so I think I have really been aware of the power I hold. Sometimes I've forgotten it, sometimes I've lost it. Sometimes I've gone ten steps back. But I've always known that I have some capacity to change the trajectory of.
Speaker 2: My own life. However, you know how I said, a lot of people are not capable of doing it, because it's a very hard thing to look inward and go, oh, I've played a past I'm the problem. Yeah, I'm the problem.
Speaker 1: It's me, right, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I mean I also think too. Not many people have this moment in life, and I've had it twice where I've lost everything and I've had to start from a complete blank slate, which is awful but also very liberating because you really get to think about who you are at your core. And I remember once I was in a job interview and it was not long after i'd left the cult, and they said to me, like, what are your values? And I was like, I know, like what I'd been told what my values were, and so then I was like, okay, right, I need to think about my values.
Speaker 2: What do I value?
Speaker 1: And so most people don't really have to think about stuff like that. Like I had to think about what kind of friendships do I want to have, and I'd be like, oh nope, not that one. You know, I'd go through this process of elimination and I had to kind of work out on the go what worked me, what didn't, and then keep on realigning myself and like readjusting. But most people don't.
Speaker 2: Have to do that.
Speaker 1: Like I said, like, you know, you read that bit from my book where it's like most people have that kind of core anchor.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: Yes, So again I think that maybe holds people back because I think you don't really.
Speaker 2: Need to events.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you don't get to reinvent yourself as much because your parents are always going to see you as Kate, you know, like your friends from school are always going to see you as Kate at school and like, whereas I had no one in my life who knew any version of me, and so then I was like, Hey, who do I get to be? And for a little while, I think I picked up versions of everybody else and I was this weird like jigsaw puzzle of everyone else's identities. And then I was like, I don't like this either. So then I kind of had to work on myself to just become more holy me. And I definitely think that came from traveling on my own.
Speaker 2: When you say you are, you always hold a vision of the future you for yourself in ten ten years time. You say you know where you want to be, where is that? And who are you?
Speaker 1: So it's really interesting because for a really long time I was like, I just want to be happy and free and travel and you know, and when in a couple of years ago, I met someone who was quite successful and do it, and I was like, oh, I could do that too, Like I could be successful, you know, like I had dreamed so small because that's all I knew. And then I feel like the more I meet people and expand my world, then the more other perspectives get to come into my world and I get to then imagine more. And so it's not really like this fixed like oh, I want to live on this multimillion dollar match and buy the you know, it's not that, It's just I think I want to keep on growing and evolving and expanding my perspective and continue becoming like you know, like I think Kim Kardashian said, like I didn't come this far to come this far, you know, Like you know, I want to keep on like going like I want to. And there is a line where I'm like, you know, coming back to Sydney, I'm like, oh man, it would be nice to have an apartment and not live out of two suitcases. And you know, I've had the I think I was in twenty three countries last year, you know, so I'm like part of me is like, you know, I'm forty one a couple of months. I wouldn't mind just slowing down, just like a little bit. But I feel so incredibly content and so excited for my future. I feel like, honestly like there is so many more incredible things to come. So it's it's not like a fixed idea of what I want my future to be. I just wanted to continue on this trajectory.
Speaker 2: The producer of No Filter, Bree and I were both struck by when you came in how you did not look like what we expected you to look like. Yeah, and I don't even know what it was that I expected, but I certainly didn't expect you to have such an alive kind of beach girl vibe. Do you know what I mean? Like to be so glowy and happy and light, to feel so light? And yet your book is called can You Handle a Girl like Me? Now you seem like you'd be quite easy to handle. You seem like before, what's what's going on there? The name of the book, and.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, Yeah, I think I really love my life, and I think I was so determined to not waste this second chance at life that I've been given, and that didn't mean not feeling my things and I definitely had a couple of really rough years, and you know, I am, I've definitely yeah, I've definitely been through it, and I've been down and out, and I've been in therapy a bunch of times and whatever. But I really getting back to what we're just talking about, like I really was so connected to where I wanted to be and future me that it was all worth it. I was like, I want to sit in the mud as long as I need to and work through all this stuff so I can just get on with my life, Like I don't want to carry all this stuff with me for the rest of my life. And that's been probably the most intentional. I think it's been the greatest gift I've given myself, because this isn't fake, Like I'm not, you know. But I also I see so many people that go through really traumatic things in life and they just then carry it around with them. And I know, I understand that everyone deals with things differently. I just think for me, I didn't want to do that. I didn't want to I wanted to take as much advantage of this chance I'd been given at life and make the most of it. And so that was like really important to me. And again, I think, for whatever reason, I just have this disposition where I was just able to really you know, I think I left at the right age that I still felt like I had so much life ahead of me. I left my marriage at you know, my early thirties, so I felt like I could really still get out there and enjoy my life and reinvent myself and have a lot of those formative experiences that I felt that i'd been denied. So I don't really have any regret. And I think I feel like in a lot of weird ways, like I'm aging backwards. Like I had to dig up some you know, older photos of me the other day and I was like, oh my gosh, like I look so much older than in my twenties than I do now. And yeah, I guess the title of my book was I think I am pretty easy going, but I think it sometimes lulls people into this false sense of security as well, you know, because I am I'm deeply passionate about things I'm so passionate about like feminism and politics, and I will stand toe to toe to someone on it because I might look like a sweet little white girl, but like, I know what it's like to not have my rights. I know what it's like to have to really fight for things. I know what it's like to not have anyone else in the world. I know what it's like to be denied in education. Like, I have so many deep perspectives on life that make me really angry about injustices. And I will absolutely stand up loudly and proudly for the things that I believe in. And I think when I came up with the title for my book, I was that was sort of at the very early stages of writing, and I was feeling really powerful and really brave, and so I think that's where it came from.
Speaker 2: Spiritually, where do you sit now?
Speaker 1: I think growing up in such a binary where it was like we are right, everyone else is wrong, even other Christians. I would say that I'm a spiritual person. What that is couldn't tell you. I believe in karma. I believe that there's maybe a higher power out there. I think things happen sometimes you're like, what the.
Speaker 2: Hell was that.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like I have to know, though, Like I don't feel like and I don't feel like I know enough to say that God doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: I also don't know if he does exist. Do you still pray? Obviously not the way not for eight hours on nis No.
Speaker 1: I mean I meditate. I feel very like spiritual in some ways. But I think that in the same way that I think you can have hell on earth by the choices you make and the life you live, I think that you can also have Heaven on earth. And I think that it's rather than I think what old school Christianity will taught me was that it was a physical place. You know, you die and God will return to Earth and then your soul will get sucked up into heaven. And hell is like a physical place where there's weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth and people are just going to burn for all of eternity. I think those two things are actually here on Earth. And I think it's the kind of person that you are and the way you show up in the world and the way you treat other people. You can experience either of those things.
Speaker 2: The little girl, the ten year old girl who wasn't allowed to be curious. When you think back to her, does it feel like you.
Speaker 1: Gosh, this is the only thing that makes me feel emotional. And when I think about her. It doesn't. I feel so disconnected from her in a lot of ways, but I also still feel her inside of me, and I know that she would be so incredibly proud of like who I've become, because I think I've even far exceeded what I imagined. You know. I just wanted to be free, and I was like, I want to be free. I want to go travel and maybe get a tattoo, you know. And now I'm sitting here promoting my book and like, you know, I've just come back from like I've been. I've spent more time out of Australia in the last eight years and I have inside of Australia like I've I've far exceeded anything she ever imagined. What I think I wanted to be free. I just don't think I knew what that looked like. And so when I was ten and I begged my parents to let me go to school, that was that was that was freedom for me. I was like, oh, I can just if I can just like get out from underneath, you know, my parents for a minute and the cult. And so I remember being at school for those six years and that was so I loved school, like didn't learn a hell of a lot. But I loved school. I just had the best time. I felt like that was the first time in my life I really got to be me. And then I had to leave school at sixteen and I had to go get a job, and I just felt like I was back to school one and so I felt like I really held onto those six years as like, Okay, I know, I know there's more that's possible, and so I think, yeah, I feel like ten year old me just wanted to be free. And then all these extra things came. I got to experience, you know, being loved and family and like all these other amazing things. But I really just wanted freedom.
Speaker 2: Bet Contello, congratulations on your freedom. Congratulations on your book and your quest for life.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to be here here and in the world. It's yeah, I'm it's it's such a whirl riend right now, and I just I have to count and keep on pinching myself that I'm even here, Like it's just it feels so surreal.
Speaker 2: Well, you won't be here for long, You're no doubt jetting off somewhere else.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm going to be in Sydney to the end of the year I'm forcing myself to stay put for a minute, but then who knows? Twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for sharing your story.
Speaker 1: Thanks Kate.
Speaker 2: One of the things that stayed with me after this conversation was the ida that leaving isn't always the end of a story. Sometimes it's just the beginning of one. Beck didn't just leave a church. She left behind a version of herself that had been shaped by other people's expectations, and spent years figuring out who she wanted to be instead. Details about her memoir Can You Handle a Girl Like Me are linked in the show notes. Thank you for listening to No Filter. If you enjoyed this episode, we'd love you to subscribe, leave a review, and share it with someone else who may enjoy it. Also, I'm Kate Lanebrook. I'll be back next Monday.