Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mama Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 1: A Gwyneth Paltrow profile cover story in fact, dropped in Vanity Fair today, and there are so many morsels.
Speaker 2: It's like hilarious how she is the most rarefied and the most basic at the same time.
Speaker 3: And she's also following in the footsteps she says of a camera dias.
Speaker 1: Except you're just basic.
Speaker 2: But I haven't got SHITLINGKF, Hello and welcome to Mamma Mia. Out loud, what women actually talking about On Wednesday, the nineteenth of March. I'm Holly Wainwright, I'm me.
Speaker 3: A Friedman, and I'm Jesse Stevens.
Speaker 2: And on the show today, it must be my birthday because a big new profile of Gwyneth Paltrow has dropped, and it tells us a lot about what it takes to be a female mogul, movie star, sex symbol, cultural icon. In twe twenty.
Speaker 3: You've manifested something in that story, which is.
Speaker 1: The content gods have delivered to us today.
Speaker 2: And all of that is very instructive for the rest of us mere mortals. So we're going to unpack that. Also, the new Snow White remake has everything half billion dollar budget, troll in, flaming casting decisions, apparently feuding co stars, a hot mess of a press tour except for an audience and teeth. How the White lotuses Amy lou wood is upending the rules about a Hollywood actress's face and mouth is meant to look like. But first, Jesse Stevens.
Speaker 3: In case you missed it, NASA SpaceX astronauts Butch Wilmore and Sunny Williams have finally returned from the International Space Station after getting stuck.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking about that.
Speaker 3: I've been watching this story very closely because I needed them home and they've come home. So the pair was scheduled to have a week long mission, but technical issues you don't want their men's face, and delays with their ride home. That's the Boeing star Liner capsule meant they spent two hundred and eighty six days up there or nine months.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine you're going away for a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also like delays, it's like what was there like a space shuttle strike?
Speaker 3: So there were issues with the something about helium. I imagine here's how I imagined it.
Speaker 1: Details.
Speaker 3: The spaceship came had big holes in it, That's how I imagine it. And they went, couldn't get on, and that felt like not a good idea.
Speaker 2: We've seen Apolo thirteenth. They explained it to a kid, something broke on your daddy's ship.
Speaker 3: That's happened something and they didn't get on it. Good move, okay, other than probably not packing enough underwear. There's been a lot of talk about some issues that Wilmore and Williams have encountered. So in November of last year, images of Williams, in particular, she's the fifty nine year old female astronaut. You might have seen photos of her. They prompted widespread concern because she had lost a significant amount of weight, and the effects of space travel are known to be harsher on women. They lose muscle at a faster rate. So after two hundred and eighty six days in space, I'm going to tell you what happen as to the human body, how they came back right, So, significant bone density loss, no matter how many weight, how much cottage, you know, she had to eat at least double the calories that like I don't know how you would get in as much food.
Speaker 2: And then two hours of it and it's not yummy food. It's not yemmy freeze dried space food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, horrible.
Speaker 1: How do you even do exercise in space if there's no grad.
Speaker 3: It's like an exercise bike and you get on that for literally two hours and waited.
Speaker 1: You'd be fine.
Speaker 3: Temporary height increase by at least a few centimeters taller because the discs like because they don't have the gravitational push. Yeah, fluid shifts towards the head, meaning that you become really congested, so you can have a running nose, headache, lots of issues. And that also skin though probably yes, except for the gaunt because of all the weight we've lost and you come back with vision is skin.
Speaker 1: Car space, he'd probably run out, he'd run out of like she wouldn't need tempons, especially if you thought you were going for a week.
Speaker 3: Remember there was a woman who was going to space and they gave them one hundred tampons for a week long mission. I'm pretty sure she didn't even have a period. But what it exemplified was how science astronauts in space do not understand women and their periods. Loss of taste and smell, which is apparently a good thing because that capsule is not smelling good by the end, Increased cancer risk, increased likelihood of kidney stones due to dehydration. You come back very dizzy and fatigue.
Speaker 1: Sounds great sign me that here's.
Speaker 3: A good thing. You come back all your skin baby soft because nothing's rubbed against it, so you know, even your feet like shoes, and you like. You come back like a new.
Speaker 1: Yeah, skinny, sick with brit Or bones.
Speaker 3: And apparently a lot of the astronauts never get used to sleeping in space, so this can be the hardest thing, is a sleep deprivation. Nine months without a good night sleep. I've read somewhere that they sleep like bats upside down.
Speaker 2: Shut up the blood rushing to the head. That would make that worse. I don't understand space. Not all of this information has clearly been lost on me, But.
Speaker 1: So not go then. They a quite Paltrow profile cover story in fact dropped in Vanity Fair today, and there are so many morsels. She hasn't done a big interview like this for quite a long time, and there's many many parts to this interview. She spoke about Goop, being the CEO of Goop group's been around for I think about ten or fifteen years. She's still the CEO. She spoke about her divorce from Chris Martin and how they are this big, blended family along with her new husband Brad Felchuck, his ex wife, various children, girlfriend's partners. It was recorded just after the big wildfires in La so to set the scene, she had to flee her Hollywood home, which she has since sold, which was undamaging the fires in the end, but she had to go to her Montecito home, which you may remember is where Megan Markle and Oprah live. So that's I think an hour or so out of the heart of Hollywood. And while the interviewer was there, the removalists were bringing some of the furniture from her Hollywood home to the Monticito home, things like her pilates reformer. What were some of the other things.
Speaker 2: The cases of wine, her cases.
Speaker 1: Of wine, and she was what was she doing? She was talking to.
Speaker 2: The speaking to the crew in perfect Spanish. It said, the details in this are so good. The crew unloads at least one Pilartes reformer. Someone asks Paltrow's head of security where she wants the wine. Paltrow speaks to staff as influence Spanish, and then she nuzzles foul Chuck, who's appeared by the side door in a shawl collared sweater and shealing clogs. Gwyneth is also wearing shealing clogs.
Speaker 1: Everyone's wearing shaling sheepskin, and so it would be like kind of like you know, those birkenstocks.
Speaker 3: And clogs, but with sheepskin, it's like hair clog out a cloggug a clug A clug. Okay, clug.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She talks about both her children have since gone to college in the last sort of year or two, Apple and Moses, and she talks about how she doesn't like the term empty Nesta. She likes to call her and Brad freebirds.
Speaker 3: She loves a new term she loves a Rebra does well.
Speaker 1: Actually that was conscious uncoupling instead of divorce. She is and she's very self conscious about it. And this is what's really interesting, Like there are so many parts in this profile where you could say she's really tone deaf. That's kind of part of her charm and part of her brand.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you about two headlines that I've seen, and I want you to tell me if they're hyperbolic or what she actually said. So the first one is that she's commented on Megan Markle because of course there's been a bit of hullor Blue. Yeah, that Meghan Markle has copied the Gwyneth and Gwyneth was accused of copying the Martha Stewart. Yeah, what did she say about Megan?
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting is that Martha Stewart slammed Gwyneth when Grenneth started to do goop, and I suppose the interviewer was hoping that Gwyneth would then slam Meghan Markle. Now this was recorded before Meghan Michaels show would come out, But she said no, I haven't seen an early version of it. But she said, I don't know Meghan. She said, I've met her before and she seems perfectly nice, even though we live in Montecito along with Oprah. And at one point she looks at the window and says, Oh, what's that drone there for? And then she's like, oh, that perhaps get three for the price of one. Me Harry and Meghan and Oprah when they come to Ontcito anyway, she's completely nondescript. She says, I wish it well. I believe that everybody should be able to do what they're interested in.
Speaker 2: She says that she has a strong instinct to stand up for women in the culture, and there's a lot of noise around them, which.
Speaker 3: I could understand relate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was very upset to think though, that they're not hanging out all the time. She did make it prep about how she'd like to try and take a pie up there if she could get through security.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: One of its friends with Oprah, and Oprah is friends with Meghan, and I'm just surprised.
Speaker 1: Friends with Megan anyway. It's interesting because there's a couple of bits that jumped out to me. One was when she talks about her business because in the last year, I've had to lay off quite a lot of stuff. They laid off about eighteen percent of their stuff, which is about forty people, and then they laid off another twelve shortly after that. And she spoke carefully when she was asked about this, because the press around it was that Goop was doing very badly and this is why they had to lay people off, And she said that's actually not true. We needed to improve our ebitdar. Now ebitda is.
Speaker 3: So many acronyms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she very not self consciously, but kind of naturally, I guess put on her CEO hadn't started speaking in business words. So she basically said, we'd become bloated. We'd hired too many people, we were doing too many things, that had a multiple podcasts, that had a Netflix show, they were doing cruisers, they did all these different things. And she said, we'd become bloated, which is something that happens to many businesses, and we just had to right size ourself to be more profitable.
Speaker 2: I think all that sounded very convinced totally, though. I really like the bit sorry where she says, because we all talked about this is how few years ago Goop just became like a sex toy shop.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It was just nearly all expensive vibrators and lots of sexual wellness and very famously the candle that smells like my vagina and all that and in here she says, and it's absolutely right because I am one of these people, she said, the people who come to buy like a gag gift for their friend, like I have wanted to buy and my cannel smells like my vagina gift for everyone, or a vibrator from Goop. Are not the same people who are going to come back and buy more things. And that's by like.
Speaker 1: A cashmere throw for a thousand dollar serums and stuff.
Speaker 3: But I don't think that's the only reason why she's discontinued some of those products. So she did go very heavy on the vagina for a while, and there was the Yoni eggs and the.
Speaker 1: Jade eggs, and there was a court case.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. I think that's an important footnote that in twenty eighteen the company agreed food of.
Speaker 1: It's a vage note. Really it's a.
Speaker 3: Bad Yeah, exactly right, a vage note. There was a one hundred and forty five thousand dollars settlement because they made unsubstantiated medical claims.
Speaker 1: That that's not a big deal in the scheme of dollars.
Speaker 3: You don't want to have consumer protection complaints against you.
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting, and this is kind of at the heart of what a lot of the commentary is about. With this piece, she says that she's very much an early adopter and that she makes way in the culture for things to become mainstream. So she said this before about yoga, which a lot of people were very critical of because she didn't invent it. She talked about, well, how she did that with wellness or meditation or all the things that she was doing. And she's not wrong about that, because when Goop was talking about wellness and even things like conscious uncoupling, and she talks about exploring alternate modalities, which is basically the gateway to other people say, oh, we're just asking questions, and people are saying the Make America Healthy Again movement spearheaded by RFK Jr. Who has some very strong beliefs, anti mainstream, anti science beliefs that almost like the more hardcore, more trump version of what Winner's been doing for a long time. And she doesn't really dispute that she talks about liking raw milk, that people have lost faith in institutions.
Speaker 2: But that's all true, right, He's one hundred percent right, And like there are lots that we've discussed this before on the show, there are lots and lots of women who believe in traditional medicine and supplementary medicine and alternative modalities and all these things. And she is not wrong, Like when she makes a point in here about raw milk and she's like, there could be dangers to raw milk, but are we expecting that the dairy industry are going to be the ones who are gonna spearhead that she's right? Like this is why people have lost trust in institutions. The thing is about this is if you listen to this show, you know that I have a big soft spot for Gwyneth And it's not because I love her. I just find her fascinating. And this interview articulated why. Because if you're a woman, if you're a gen X woman, she has been around for a very long time. And one of my Roman empires is that I think about her ears all the time, right, Like there was the dating Brad pitt eras, there was the smoking ciggies with Winona Ryder. She was a skinny girl. She was the first person I ever heard talk about having a macrobiotic diet and everyone's like, what's that? And then everyone was doing.
Speaker 1: She was out when everyone else was running.
Speaker 2: Then she had her era when she moved to London and became a housewife and started blogging about bread and then she was in Marvel and like fix you by coldplayers about her, like she is a person in the culture who looms very large, and if you are a woman in the culture who looms large, you are always going to attract an enormous amount of shit. And I'm not saying for a minute that she doesn't deserve some of that, because what she's trying to sell everybody is unquestionably a very very privileged, pretty white lady version of aspiration.
Speaker 1: She's the original influence.
Speaker 2: She is in many ways, but I think there's also a lot to be respected there. I admire the fact that she's never run away from it all, like the shit that she has copped over the years, and the abuse and the round mocking, She's turned a lot of it to her advantage, which I kind of admire. Also, she gives a good interview. She's usually quite honest. Like so Michelle Rue is in her house in Montecito, and who wouldn't want to go to Gwyneth Pultro's house in Montecito describes immediately what she's wearing, a Gray's cardigan, white wide leg jeans and her shiling like clocks. And the first thing you do is you go, oh, I've got.
Speaker 1: White, white leg jeans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every woman in the world is deciding whether she has any of those things. Then they were the journalist describes what kind of milk she puts in her coffee, because everybody wants to know what kind of milk Gwyneth Paltrow puts in a coffee, either because they want to copy her or they want to take.
Speaker 1: The piss out of her for it.
Speaker 2: So there's a level of fascination that I just love to lean into.
Speaker 3: I read another headline that referred to the slight Gwyneth Paltrow made against Blake Lively in this Yeah, in this profile, that's that's an I read the entire profile. Couldn't find the slight. This is where they've tried to up a bit of tension on the discussion of intimacy coordinators, which is big in Hollywood at the moment because in the Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni lawsuit.
Speaker 1: Since Me Too, they've been intimacy couaday.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is, but it's the geist because Lively said we didn't have one and we should have had one, and everyone has one.
Speaker 1: And they choreographed sex scenes and.
Speaker 3: Gwyneth Paltrow in talking about her new film, which is excuse my French, but Hollywayen Writ's Wet Dream, which is Gwyneth Paltrow with a very young Timothy Schallamey. She says they were offered an intimacy coordinator, and she basically went, what the hell this is interrupting my process? And I read that and went, oh, yeah, well power to you. I like the idea that you're offered it, but I don't think that it's mandatory that you use it. If you feel like it's consensual and comfortable and you know what your job is. But she has been roundly criticized even since last morning.
Speaker 1: It did come across, and of course her process is a process, but it did come across a little bit like you're a pussy if you need one.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Because then she had a line clarifying it about being someone who was maybe just entering the industry or being a little bit younger. It's interesting to consider whether her and Timothy sit together and decide whether you have an intimacy coord They did.
Speaker 1: She said, we talked about it. She is funny about that, because Okay, first of all, why is she doing this profile? Yep, we should cover that off. The reason is, there's two reasons. The first is she's starting acting again. I think it's two reasons. I mean her. Brad Falchuk gives a quote and says, Gwyneth is a supermum with absolutely no irony. Gwyneth is a supermam. Her mum's stuff and this is very and she loved so much. She was so fulfilled when the kids were growing up, and she didn't want to travel and she wanted to be at home with them, which is fair enough. But now that they've left, she's feeling herself again. She's exploring. She's a free bird. She's getting back to acting. So after fifteen years, she's done a couple of little things, but she's getting back to acting. In her first leading role after that is this movie where you won't believe this. She plays an older woman having an affair with the younger man. He's a ping pong player and he's Timothy Chalamey, and she's quite funny. She says, look, I'm one hundred and nine and you're fourteen. Okay, I know she's quite funny. And when photos of them on the set appeared a few months ago, people speculated that she was playing his mother. And that's interesting too because the interviewer also says, unlike a lot of her contemporaries in Hollywood, she has not filled her lips or her lines on her face. And that's true when you see her. She's a spokesperson for a type of botox, but she natural. Yeah, she's not shy about the fact that she does tweatments, but she does not look overfilled like her contemporaries. Right. So the first reason is to announce her return to acting, but I think that was more just a hook. The real reason she's done it is because she's been trying to sell group for quite a while and all the bad publicity around them right sizing and having to sack people. And she also did a diffusion line called Good Clean Goop in Target that was a disaster, and there was a lot of negative press about her business. So she really needed to re establish that her business was actually successful. And I also think she's working probably because she's a free bird, but I also got the sense probably needs a bit of revenue into the company there is that's fine, So that's why she's doing the.
Speaker 2: Time that she sounds the most cranky because, as I said, before. She's weathered a lot of that criticism, and she always says that's what you get when you're a trailblazer and blah blah. But there is a bit where she kind of says, but when it affects your bottom line, it's not funny anymore, which kind of makes it sound like that some of that criticism really has been affecting the bottom line.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would have been, because it's very bad for brand, and there would have been investors. I think the smartest thing to do if she wants to sell the company is to a point of CEO that's not her well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because she talks in this and I was thinking about, you may because she talks about I'm the kind of CEO who or the journalist says, likes to be on slack, likes to be involved, but I don't like Excel spreadsheets. And I was like, I've heard this story. My smart friend Mia went, you know what, Yeah, the CEO does. There's a lot that's very mid about this interview, right, Gwinneth, if you ever feel like coming on, because she's all about moving into her next phase. I'm in raging Perry menopause. I'm doing something new, and that's what all women this age are like. It's like hilarious how she is the most rarefied and the most basic at.
Speaker 1: The same time.
Speaker 3: And she's also following in the footsteps, she says of a Cameron Diaz.
Speaker 1: Except you're just basic. But I haven't gone shilling clog.
Speaker 3: That she talks about how she's following in the footsteps of a Cameron Diaz and a Demi Moore who did step away for a little while and then came back a going I've had so much more experience. I think I'm actually going to be better at my craft.
Speaker 2: And she was a very good actress, she actually and so there'll be high stakes Christmas Day everybody. By the way, the movie that's a long wait out loud as in a moment, how a feel good family remake has become a cultural hot potato. We are talking about snow White.
Speaker 4: This was my father's kingdom, a place of fairness, but the queen changed everything.
Speaker 1: Take him away, your majesty, What did you.
Speaker 4: Say The people need some kindness in a I really don't remember you being this opinion needed, Let's make a live action snow White must have seemed like a no brainer. For Disney back in twenty and sixty whatever could go wrong.
Speaker 1: I know when the film.
Speaker 2: That's being released here tomorrow was conceived. After all, there had already been a live action Cinderella, a live action Beauty and the Beast, a live action Little Mermaid, a live action Lionking, and realize, live action mean it means not a cartoon, so real life princesses. They would have thought it even more fun than cartoon ones. They can go out there and wear red carpet dresses and do interviews and walk and talk.
Speaker 3: The peceptis, Oh, how the world.
Speaker 2: Can spire to prove them wrong? Very quick rundown. If you've been seeing headlines around about snow white and most controversial ever, Da da da da da, I'm gonna give you a quick rundown of the controversies so that you know plural plural definitely.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: First of all, movie production was meant to start in twenty nineteen. It was delayed by COVID very understandably, but the casting finally gets announced in twenty twenty one and immediately starts fires in some corners.
Speaker 1: Of the internet.
Speaker 2: Rachel Zegler, you might know her from West Side Story. She's an amazing singer. She's a teeny tiny little actress, really good actress was cast in the lead. The thing is snow White, which let's remember the cartoon version was made in nineteen thirty seven. Snow White is the fairest of them all, with skin as white as snow. It's literally where she got her name. And Zegler, who does look a lot like a Disney princess, to be honest, is of Colombian descent. So that was the start of the Disney's Gone woke drums, right.
Speaker 1: So there was some pushback around that time, wasn't there about oh, why have they gone woke? Why have they cast? And there was a similar pushback around when they cast Hallie Bailey as the Little Mermaid, and she is an actress of color as well, and there was a lot of pushback about our Disney so wake when they're just trying to do you.
Speaker 2: Want cartoon princesses to look like the cartoon princesses, is what people say. Then Peter Dinklich, who's probably the most high profile actor of short stature in the world thanks to Game of Thrones among other things, publicly questioned the whole premise of bringing back a movie about seven dwarves. This is him speaking about that on Mark Maron's podcast.
Speaker 6: This is what he says, Well, you know, it's really progressive to cast literally no offense to anything. But I was little taken back by the they're very proud to cast a Latino actress as snow white. Yeah, but you're still telling the story seven dwarfs. Sure take a step back and look at what you're doing there. Yeah, you know, I think it makes no sense to me, So what would be You're progressive in one way and then but you're still making that fucking backward oh story about seven dwarves living in a cave. To get what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 6: Have I have I done nothing to advance the cause from my soapbox? I guess I'm not loud enough. I don't know what. I don't know what studio that is, but it was. They were so proud of that, and all love and respect to that, to the actress and to the people who thought they were doing the right thing. But I'm just like, you don't what.
Speaker 1: Are you doing?
Speaker 2: The seven Dwarfs in the final film and now cgi magical creatures who are still called sneezy and dopey, and they look just like really the Seven Dwarfs.
Speaker 1: They're not referred to as dwarfs.
Speaker 2: No, and Disney said they did that to avoid in quotes reinforcing stereotypes.
Speaker 1: So I heard that. Then some act with dwarfism pushed back on Peter Dinklige and said, hey, there's not a lot of roles for us in Hollywood. Glad that you've got all of them. That's seven roles that we could have got that now aren't available to us because you've scared everybody off.
Speaker 3: I think that the choice was unpopular in some circles to then do the CGI, because then they're voiced by people, but the people who are voicing it are not necessarily people of small stature, so that can be seen as ablest. I think they were between a rock and a hard place with that decision. It was a really, really hard one. But when ableism is entrenched in the actual fabric of the story, that's something you're gonna have to deal with head on.
Speaker 2: So that was another one, yeah, of the controversies.
Speaker 1: Then I haven't even started making a movie again.
Speaker 2: Then a conflict erupted in the Middle East. Nothing to do with a cute fairy tale movie. You might imagine wrong because the evil queen in this movie is being played by wonder woman Galgadot, who famously served in the Israeli Defense Force. Her coastar Zegler, publicly declared her sympathy for Palestine on social media. So now the two leads are on opposite sides of the most divisive conflict on the plan.
Speaker 3: And you've got Getot speaking publicly. Yeah, they're both quite active on social media. Yeah they are. And it's probably important to clarify to that military service in Israel is mandatory for almost all people. But she's speaking really openly about free the hostages.
Speaker 2: And she made public speeches, yes.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And imagine Disney at this point. I know then are their agents.
Speaker 2: Then Zekler made a comment about how the original plotline about the handsome prince who awakes snow white with a kiss was a bit off, and suggested that she was involved in an update. This is what she said.
Speaker 5: The original cartoon came out in nineteen thirty seven, and very evidently so there is a big focus on her love story.
Speaker 3: With a guy who literally stalks her.
Speaker 5: Weird, weird, so we didn't do that this time.
Speaker 3: So no prince or a different kind of prince.
Speaker 5: We have a different approach to what I'm sure a lot of people will assume is a love story just because like we cast a guy in the movie and jaw burna. It's really not about the love story at all, which is really really wonderful, and whether or not she finds love along the way is anybody's guess until twenty twenty four. It's an inner journey that she goes on to find her true self and she meets a lot of people along the way that make the journey really incredible.
Speaker 2: That really pissed off a lot of the Disney's Gone Woke gang. We didn't like it.
Speaker 3: Disney fans love a love story.
Speaker 1: Like what she said, It's almost like that is what every actress who plays a Disney princess in modern times has to contend with the idea that, oh, but isn't it all just about a handsome prince comes along? And so I feel that fairytales have evolved, or the portrayal of them have evolved, and they should evolve.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, But there's a dance to be done. There is a dance with any sort of remake where what you're trying to do is capture the audience who loves the original and find a new audience in the modern moment. So imagine if with Bridget Joanes rene Zelwega just came out and trashed the original and was like, yeah, that was really fat, phobic and regressive, she would have lost a portion of the audience. So I think that there is a real careful dance of just like I respect the other. There are a few updates that we've You're right.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that you have to bear in mind all the time, because we've got one more of these controversies, is that Zegler is twenty three. Yeah, okay. Then when Trump won the twenty twenty four election, Zegler again, she's twenty three. Not that I'm editorializing.
Speaker 1: Posted about it.
Speaker 2: She posted, may Trump supporters and Trump voters and Trump himself never no peace, fuck Donald Trump. Now the thing is those people are now in charge, she may have noticed, and they have been primed and ready to attack this massive Disney property on all fronts. Now it's in cinemas, but everything about the launch has been scaled back. No non Disney approved lists were allowed at the La Red carpet premiere, it was mostly influences. It was held in the middle of the day. Now, Goodott and Zegler did post together, then it's not like they're scrapping publicly or anything. They did post together, and they did present at the Oscars together. But now anytime that anywhere near each other all, anyone's looking for the signs of tension. So generally Disney is sending them off separately to do separate things. So good Dot was sent to one of the Disney parks to post with lots of little girls, and Zegler was sent to Spain to sing to lots of little girls, and the movie.
Speaker 1: Was taken away.
Speaker 3: Let's remember, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine the conversations with the publicists, and the movie that cost half a billion US dollars all up with production and promotion, is now projected to make a tiny fraction of that the domestic box office, even though the people who've actually seen it say it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: What are we I have a few theories about what's going on here. When you are an actor like Galga Dot or Zegla, you have your own personal brand, and personal brand is becoming increasingly important. And for Zeglar, that brand is about feminism, it is about human rights, It is about being outspoken and progressive.
Speaker 1: So is Galgatotts ironically, yes, yeah it is.
Speaker 3: It is, but Zegler has been in different ways. She's been more outspoken on social and with the Trump comment, what I think is difficult is when that brand comes in conflict with a bigger brand. I remember us talking about something years ago that was like a brand can't exist within a brand, And I think this is the issue with press tours, is that the point of a press tour is that we are promoting Snow White the Disney Show, where the ven diagram of Trump fans and Disney fans there is overlap. Therefore, we do not upset Trump supporters.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't want to say you don't want to upset anyone, No, exactly. And also, can't we just go to our Disney film and just the news cycle behind us, which is what everyone wants?
Speaker 2: Yet which you can. And lots of people are saying that this movie will probably be successful anyway because and as someone who's you know, my kids are older now, but parents love a family movie. They will take their kids to this regardless because they don't care about culture wars. But you're so right that the comments by Ziegler in particular, particularly the Trump ones, have given a lot of people a reason not to go yes.
Speaker 3: And I think that when the audience, like the Snow White, we are launching a movie publicity meeting, in terms of our talking points are not at all what the talking points of the two lead actors would be. And I think that this is where presstours are going wrong. I also think the lead up is too long and people say too much shit. You give people enough airtime and it's like they've been talking about this for years, and everything they say then reflects on the movie. The film has also been canceled from the left and the right, which is a terrific feat.
Speaker 1: I guess it shows that it's balanced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's polarized everyone from every walk of life, and it has also come at a moment. I think that this is probably the perfect storm of rolled back DEI of a moment in American popular culture where racism is rearing its ugly head again in quite an explicit way, like it's always existed. But I think that to have a snow White that's a person of color just touches the buttons of people who feel like they have license again to be outrageously racist.
Speaker 1: Isn't it sad that inclusivity, which is such a great thing, and all the little girls who can't be what they can't see and such a positive thing I think for the world, has been weaponized and called woke as if it's an insult, as if it's a terrible thing. And the word anti woke, which can sometimes b euphemism for being cruel or racist or intolerant of others or I'm thinking and unkind. That's become a badge that some people like to wear. And I wanted to ask you, Jesse, do you think you know once upon a time, Rene Zellweger could walk a red carpet, Julia Roberts could walk a red carpet, Cameron Diaz could walk a red carpet and they would not be asked their opinion on cultural issues. Do you think that's possible now, in the age of social media, for anyone to do that?
Speaker 3: This is what I mean about brand as I was thinking about sort of a Julia robertson notting Hill. We don't know what she stood for don't stand for anything. Don't she just was she stood for notting Hill. That was the she.
Speaker 1: Had Harry under Ams the one time has a big deal an accident.
Speaker 2: I think we're about to see that coming back. And your point you just made me, which is absolutely spot on about inclusive casting, has probably had its day for a while, which is depressing as all hell, right, because there's no question that Rachel's egglers looking great. There's snow white, everybody is saying, and she looks a lot like her anyway. But I think that we are about to see it coming back because after the massive backlash on Hollywood stars who were almost unilaterally supporting progressive causes and have had no impact whatsoever on any of the election results or any of those things, the intense risk on these movies, which are so expensive to make, I think that we're going to go back to a very ad nine like don't ask me anything.
Speaker 3: I also policy think that this is a very public example of something that is happening within the arts, which is a real division, especially with what's happening in the Middle East, between these these two camps who are clashing and feeling threatened and feeling undermined and This is the thing about diversity, right. You can go, oh, we want people to look different, but diversity also means that people are going to show up with different opinions. And I thought that, you know, seeing them at the Oscars standing there, they've both behaved very of.
Speaker 2: Course, to be clear, they have not like said anything about each other or been you know, verbally or otherwise unching on about any issues. It's all been projected on them. It's really complicated, but I predict it will be a big hit, if not in theaters and streaming, because family movies are the bread and butter. Like Bluey I Think, which obviously is an Australian property, is one of Disney Plus's most successful properties.
Speaker 1: Full Stop.
Speaker 2: Parents want things to watch with their kids. They don't care about all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Feedback is a gift from both the perspective of a giver as well as the recipient.
Speaker 1: There's a homeowner who has some feedback and they've been in the news this week because their house was open for inspection and they have a sign on the toilet that has gone viral and it says, please don't use this toilet. Thank you. People are apparently taking a break from inspecting homes to use the toilet. Real estate agents aren't happy. They've said people come to inspections and use the toilet. I find it gross. A lot of the time people that come to use the toilet aren't even there to inspect the property. Oh my god, thought of that. Busting to go to the loo when you're walking down the street. Just pop into an open for inspection. People don't do that. And this real estate agent that's quoted in the article says it's like coming to our house inspection and using the microwave to heat up food if that food was pooh. I added that last.
Speaker 3: I can't believe have you had people do this.
Speaker 1: I've done it, not a pooh, but I've done wheeze in it in an open people walking through.
Speaker 3: I don't know what open inspectors you're going to, but for me, there are three hundred people elbowing each other out of the way.
Speaker 1: It is a it's got to be a quiet one. It's going to be a quiet to be. It can't be like a studio apartment.
Speaker 3: I would not and be like, I want to see the shower.
Speaker 2: This has happened in my world. One of my children did this. We were looking at an open house when we were when we moved, and I'd lost one of my children from because they had to come because who was going to look after them? And I was like, where have they gone? Where they're gone? Indeed, they were in the bathroom. The door was not locked and they were using it for a number two. Oh. I thought that was mortifying enough until our producer Ruth told us that that also happened to her when our kids were a little except that that toilet was not even connected to the plumbing.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this used to be. I remember going and looking at and remember display homes. I remembering looking when I was a kid at at display homes with Mum, and I definitely considered using one of those toilets. But you look down and it's like concrete or some like. It's not it's not plugged in at all. I don't know how you rectify that situation.
Speaker 1: After the break, there's a surprising new beauty standard that's crept in by Stealth, and no one has been talking about until now.
Speaker 3: One unlimited out loud access. We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday exclusively for Mum and MEA subscribers follow the link in the show notes to get us in your ears five days a week, and a huge thank you to all our current.
Speaker 1: You released a bunch of venomous snakes today. You do realize that you're fucking deranged.
Speaker 3: We need to talk about teeth. For weeks, viewers of The White Lotus have been marveling at Amy lou Wood's teeth. There's a photo on our instagram if you like to see. If you've not been.
Speaker 2: Watched bunny teeth.
Speaker 1: They're calling them.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, Kerry Sackville is calling it bunny teeth for the Sydney Morning Herald. But they are so unlike what we normally see on television that they were actually acknowledged on screen. Her friend Chloe remarked, I love your teeth the character. Yes, yes, they are front and center. So Kerry Sackville wrote that these bunny teeth give her hope. She argues that quirky female faces are almost exclusively on character actors who play supporting roles. If we ever see them, they're supporting roles. But what's exciting is that not only is would a lead, but she's a trophy girlfriend of an old demand. She is positioned as desirable and attractive. Vanity Fair called her teeth not just charming but inspiring, and would herself have spoken about how her teeth were a source of great insecurity. Growing up, she was bullied for them. She didn't believe she'd ever be able to work in television, and now she finds her smile empowering and rebellious, although she says she'll never be able to play an American. She said Americans do not have teeth like hers. Holly, do you think that's true?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent truth. Amy is from where I'm from. Friend, She is from Stockport, which is very close to Manchester, so she is obviously a legend of all kinds. Yeah, she's gorgeous. See that's one of the things we weren't saying about this, is like she's got unusual teeth, but she's absolutely gorgeous. Yeah, but it is one hundred cent tru she couldn't play an American. You're probably not that familiar with English TV, but when I was growing up and you're watching, the biggest shows in Britain were the soap operas EastEnders.
Speaker 3: Watch Bill, there you go.
Speaker 2: Nobody has perfect white teeth, but there are no shows on American television where people do not have perfect white teeth.
Speaker 1: Do you know why that is?
Speaker 2: Well, the stereotype is that British people have bad dental care. It's not actually true. If you dig into the research, they have quite good dental care.
Speaker 1: They have fluorid in the water.
Speaker 2: I think that some places do and some places don't. But going to the dentist in Britain is subsidized for kids and things like that. But there is just a very different culture of everybody getting their teeth sorted out.
Speaker 1: So is it a marker of status? But even yeah, rich people have nice teeth, but I've seen a lot of posh people that actually don't.
Speaker 2: I know that would also be a mark. That would also be a mark of rebellion, because there's also a little well not rebellion. But you see, the thing is I snorted when somebody said that her teeth were like, her teeth are inspiring, Like it's ridiculous, the idea that normal face with normal features and like, what's the word? No one has intervened on those teeth, that's the only thing, right, So teeth that have not had intervention are like brave and inspiring gandicity to me, I.
Speaker 3: Think We've got to acknowledge though, that it is subversive because her teeth my teeth without years of work. And I got probably two years of dental work, and I remember my mum sitting with the orthodontist and trying to untangle what was cosmetic and what was truly necessary, which has become increasingly blurry.
Speaker 2: Because also we have to be clear, dental work is so expensive. It is a marker of status, because yeah, not everybody has like ten thousand dollars to be thrown away on their kids' teeth just so that they have the teeth that everyone has on TV.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I think that the orthodontic thing, like yes, as that. But there's also the reason that people get braces, and the reason that people get work done is often too for like health reasons, like for jaw pain and for being able to clean it. Like I still have crowding that makes flossing and everything difficult. But to see what my teeth looked like and I got dental it'd probably started when I was about twelve, and I did the retainers and stuff. I remember being please self conscious about the gap between my teeth as a kid. I remember people would say to me, but Madonna has a gap, and that was their way of making me feel better about the fact that my teeth looked different. But I've even felt it as an adult on television when you look around and you go, I'm the only one without veneers, and there's a look on television of the big.
Speaker 1: White twiglet teeth, tee teeth.
Speaker 3: I think it's more prevalent in America, where you almost can't even see that they're separate teeth. They're like a big white thing over the top, and it is definitely a marker of class. You see a lot of sort of reality TV stars that the moment they can afford it, they go and get one hundred percent smile transformed.
Speaker 1: I think it's the new baseline, and I don't think that's necessarily a good thing, but I think it's one of those ones. I refer to it earlier as a stealth beauty standard, because there are other things that are more obvious, like lip filler, boob jobs, buming plants. Even when everyone was wearing eyelash extensions and looked like they had little awnings over their eyes, you can notice those things more. But with teeth, it's only when you look back at something. I was watching Muriel's Wedding again with my kids a couple of years ago, and I was so struck by Tony Collette and Rachel Griffiths and everyone in that film. They had their own teeth, They had regular teeth, and it was shocking compared to even them compared to now. They didn't look terrible, but they just looked so different. And teeth is one of those things that I don't notice people's teeth unless they're really terrible or missing. I was very self conscious about my teeth, so I've got very big teeth. I stuck my thumb till I was twelve. I had very buck teeth.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I used to be called Bucky Beaver, and I always.
Speaker 2: Assumed but Amy Lee was called Bucky Beaver too, except to Manchester and.
Speaker 1: Bookie Beaver Bookie Beava. I assumed that I would have to have braces. A lot of my friends had braces. I went to see orthodontist and he's like, no, You've got something called a tongue thrust, which means that at rest boring to any one. I'm riveted. At rest, my tongue sat behind my teeth. Okay, instead of my body anyway, I changed it and my teeth of the gap because I said to biggap, and my teeth closed up. They haven't got smaller, but I guess my face has got biggert anyway. For a long time.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm gonna say. People think about themselves too much, don't they? Yeah, people think about themselves a little too A long time though.
Speaker 1: People thought I had had my teeth done, and people still do. And some people when we were preparing for this segment today, were like, oh, I just assumed that you'd had your teeth white and or you'd had your teeth done. And when I started Mum and me, there was this commentary that was obsessed with my the fact that I'd had my teeth done, and that I was lying about it and claimed to know the dentist who did it and all this stuff. I actually haven't had my teeth done. I don't drink red wine, I don't drink coffee, and I've fixed my tongue thrust.
Speaker 3: Do you think though, firstly, teeth discoloration, which is even just the wrong word because we don't want teeth to be teeth colored anymore.
Speaker 1: But you know what is teeth tht.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's teeth blinding blinding.
Speaker 2: You go to look at the shades of white in a dentist like, it's amazing. It's more than when you're picking paint for your house.
Speaker 1: Don't you think it's like an arms race? Though? I think that the teeth, it's become the arms race of teeth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, teeth. What's interesting about it, though, is that it is a beauty standard that my male friends, you know, their insecurity is maybe their hairline and the color of their teeth. Like it's the one thing I'll see men do is go, do you use any teeth what like.
Speaker 1: Their penis size product? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 3: But the other thing is that when you go to the dentist, So I wonder if this has something to do with it. The health or the dental check is kind of confused with the cosmetic and the up selling and the up selling. So you go there and you sit in the chair and I'll go for a clean and you know, to check if I've got any holes or whatever. Often you'll see on the wall there's a poster telling you to get especially around weddings. It's like are you getting married?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, used to be make sure you have a manicure the day before your wedding. Now it's like your teeth program six months out. But I'm the opposite. I went to my dentist two weeks ago and I tried to convince him do I need my teeth whitened? This is what I mean about an arms race, And I've got really white teeth. And he's like, no, no, you don't. And I'm like, should I use whitening toothpaste? He goes, not really it or make your teeth sensitive? And I'm like I was using whitening toothpaste and my teeth were sensitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jesse.
Speaker 1: Don't you think it's part of the instagrammification of women's faces that it's like everyone's got the same teeth, everyone's got the same lips, everyone's got the same cheeks. You know, whether it's on a red carpet, not a lot of natural teeth on the oscars red carpet.
Speaker 3: I wonder what this signals. I wonder if it could potentially signal a shift that we go if you have like, okay, this I mean Amy lose teeth, Amy lose teeth. I wonder if we look at it, and I'm looking at that going Oh, but she's beautiful, but I love her teeth looking like that when everything is homogeneous, if there's this real appeal of someone who comes out, I remember watching it recently with Kieran Knightley in Black Doves. Her forehead moved and I went, oh, forads can move like I won w If this subversion might signal a new trend.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'd like to think that, but I think she's just the outlie that proves the rule, because why else would Vanity Fair and all the media be writing whole stories about the teeth of one actor on White Lotus.
Speaker 2: A massive thank you out louders for listening to us today and for being here as always, and to our fabulous team for putting the show together. We're going to be back in your ears tomorrow.
Speaker 3: And if you are looking for something else to listen to. On yesterday's subscriber episode, we sat down with our friend Emily Vernham who joined us for a very special Ask Us Anything. We talked about new dating apps. I mentioned one on the show a while ago. We talked more about that and also a new one that all my friends are swearing by. The three questions that Emma says you should definitely ask on a first day.
Speaker 1: I was so shocked to yes first.
Speaker 3: Ah, me too. And also you might have seen the story of the influencer who took a baby one bat from its mother. Oh, we talk about that we didn't have an opportunity to on the show, and we also shared the TV and TV storylines and tropes that we are so done with seeing on our screens. We will pop a link in the show notes.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, out louders you still hear We've got a little treat to check who the out louders at the top of the leader board are that listened to right at the end of the show. Here's a hot tip we learnt about at the end of our planning meeting when our CEO marched into the kitchen and said she's got to run across the road to Woolies because the new twenty dollars Anya hind Marsh bag. It's like a carry bag, like the kind of bag you know, a reusable kind of a bag. It's called the Universal Bag. It's an echo friendly tote available in green and blue. It has a ten year guarantee. I don't know why you need a ten year guarantee on your bag, but she's on a mission to encourage shoppers to ditch plastics. She usually makes very expensive bags that are worth hundreds of dollars. You can get it now from Woolies for twenty dollars. And this is not an ad. This is just a public service in normal.
Speaker 2: Treat Shout out to Annie, Mamma Maya. Subscribers listening. If you love the show and you want to support us, subscribing to Mamma Mia is the very best way to do it. There's a link in the episode description.