Speaker 1: This podcast is brought to you by We Are Lonely, a podcast that's part of Medibanks's ten year commitment to reduce chronic loneliness in Australia. Welcome to the Seize the Yay Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to.
Speaker 2: Hear and explore the stories of those who found lives They adore, the.
Speaker 1: Good, bad and ugly, the best and worst day will bear all the facets of Seizing your Yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bar. Sez the Ya is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way.
Speaker 3: Hi BM, Hi BM.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: I love his place so much already you can't wait to do all of out p cus here.
Speaker 1: This is our very first episode in the New House, which we have actually tried to do. How many times I brought my gear here for at least four every time?
Speaker 2: We just we don't record.
Speaker 1: First, we do all the activities, we paint, We like get tired, and then it gets to four pm and I'm like, nah, I'm not feeling it.
Speaker 3: Come all the way to and I was like, I'm like such an interventionist that I'm like, you need rest, you need rest. I'll come back another time. But also I love coming here every weekend. I'm like, so any renos.
Speaker 1: Anything to do help, any any painting We ended up any building.
Speaker 3: You guys had literally nothing, and you were like, let's paint the linen cupboard.
Speaker 2: We did the anxiety the other day. It was so unnecessary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what next? We like, can you just paint this plaster wall that we're going to rip out anyway? Something to do.
Speaker 1: Also, we're sitting in what will become nick in my bedroom. Eventually it's the master bedroom, but it has no manager. It's still got the old carpet. We're kind of done part of the bathroom and we've got sort of currents and and helped paint this room. But we've closed the door and you can still hear Nick sooring downstairs. Are you really getting the full Runner experience?
Speaker 3: I don't think they'll probably not be able to hear.
Speaker 1: It, but I feel like I can hear it. I think it's because he knows we're podcasting.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, contribution mad in Vine mad Invie.
Speaker 1: Me the other day when I have him on Valentine's Day. He's like, you know, I can come on like separate to an occasion, like just for fun.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, and then you're asking me like I'm too busy one. I like, my goal in life is to embarrass my best friends no matter where. It's like it's like my favorite thing to do. Particularly can Sarah for no other reason. Then I think it's online people perceive you in a particular way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like we have bloopers and we let out, you know, some parts of our personality.
Speaker 2: But you just go to town on all the bits that you like, so we don't let.
Speaker 3: The other day.
Speaker 2: Okay, here.
Speaker 3: And all the buildings like not you have you didn't really have builders, but the flooring guy was here. Some guys were here to help like demolish some things. So a bunch of like laborers. Trade's and aren't.
Speaker 2: Close like super close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Nick can only like I only just met them that morning, and Nick was being all like with the boys, oh yeah, like look at my standar. And then Sarah came and then and then I was like, oh, this is my like my opportunity to embarrass both of them. So Nick's like, oh, Sarah, come, look at the side that I've trimmed. I was like, and then he opened it up, and I was like, Bob, it's beautiful.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Bobby, Bobby, you did such a quick and the next face was like shut up, shut up, and I screamed about the whole nicko.
Speaker 3: I've never seen Nick properly.
Speaker 2: He went inside his own skins.
Speaker 5: Like he shut that door closed so fast, and I was like, Bobby, and I just flew out the audio so bad, like all the people, all the guys inside were just smoking.
Speaker 3: So funny.
Speaker 1: It's also like, I feel like you don't ever use your pet name for your partner in public, like you only use it to them directly. Yeah, so I would never like I call him bab you know, it made me in front of you and like mum, but in front of like trades that we've just met I wouldn't be like Bobby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so fun.
Speaker 4: I was like it.
Speaker 3: Nick was just like he was like shut like I've never seen him so like a big brother, like stop it cut it normally, just give it back to me. He couldn't. I just and it was it's literally him showing you he cut down a tree like a little shrub.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: But otherwise, since we, I mean, you guys know, we've taken a little bit of time off over the past week or so.
Speaker 2: Actually maybe even a couple of weeks. I don't even know. I have no concept of time generally, but especially the past few weeks. So since we first.
Speaker 1: Like mentioned the renovation, I think we've pretty like we have powered through since the last time we spoke about that.
Speaker 2: You I'm quite done.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like I just had this conception or maybe misconception that when I take forever, but you guys do you guys, and this is not like it's it's like a mansion, but it's a big house with a lot of I guess rooms and spaces, and so each space has this and even just painting it. We had done one room. It took us like four hours and I was like oh my god, there's like, oh god, another like eleven spaces to go, but it was right. And then then I come back the next week and then all the walls are done, and then the floors are in, and then the curtains are and then the kitchen's almost done. So I was like, this has been like the bathoms are completely cham pretty much done.
Speaker 2: It's all come together so quickly.
Speaker 1: But I think because Nicks embraced it as such a like he hates it when I say this, but it's been such a playta for him, like for someone who's really sedentry because his tech. He's always on his devices. He will sit in front of three screens for like twelve hours in a row. To have a project where he could be tactile all day every day. Like obviously it's been a bit of a juggle trying to be here and do his normal job, but he's been so much happier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's so scared he's playda, but he's so good at it.
Speaker 2: He gets so good.
Speaker 1: And he's self taught, like well, I mean, his dad was a builder, but as in he didn't train to learn how to build.
Speaker 2: He's just kind of figured it all out.
Speaker 1: And we've only it's only been plumbing and electrical, which are kind of the things that you want qualified people for.
Speaker 2: Everything else he's done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like you and I, Nick has Nick can do many things, but he's actually like he's kind of been the reason why this has moved so far, totally, like the kitchen going in, like even the banisters, do you balatrade Alcatro? Alcatro?
Speaker 2: Is it Alcatro?
Speaker 3: I painted the Alcatro?
Speaker 2: It's a prison.
Speaker 1: Strange, But also it's been that just the loveliest has been having so many friends just pop over and like contribute to little bits. And you know we've had like late nights just eating uber eats on the floor and all of us with paint. How you and I walk home every time with like a liter of painting? Do we rub our heads on the walls?
Speaker 2: Don't understand? And then I glad rap my head the other night?
Speaker 3: No, it's how you think you're like not again, as you're literally standing inside of a cupboard and your heads down, not even like in a proper bun, and you're like, oh, this paint, It's like, it's not the paint's fault your face.
Speaker 2: So I literally looked like a condom. The other day, I wrapped my head in flat and it.
Speaker 3: Worked really well. I put the footage. I've got the footage.
Speaker 2: It worked really well.
Speaker 3: But also shout out to Hissy flew down from America.
Speaker 1: I know, he was amazing our best man. He was the best man at our wedding. Lives in the States and the boys have been missing each other so much. They really don't get enough time together. And the quote for painting was like eighteen grand.
Speaker 2: It was outrageous.
Speaker 1: And we looked up Piggsy's flights, you know, because he really wanted to come and help, and he was like, I wish I could be there, and we were like, wow, it won't pay me or fights which are like ten percent. Did you get the cost of what we're being quoted? Like would you fly home? And yeah, And he came at the time where we had the Mya ball and like all the boys in that group were going and it was just so much.
Speaker 2: And he's a really good he was such a good paint he.
Speaker 3: Was telling me, He's like, yeah, And the reason people don't realize why I'm like know how to paint or I'm good at painting. I was like wow, because he's a photographer. Because when I was to paint the site, yeah, he's like when I first started and I was like an assistant on the I'd have to paint all the back dropped and you have to be particulous because you can't the camera shows everything, like the streaks. He's like, and so I just that's how I like figured I had to paint, and he's he's like done. He was the majority of the house. Like by the end, I just like did the trimmings and the primer and stuff.
Speaker 2: But he's and the boy slept here on camper beds and it was just really cute. I had such a cute week together.
Speaker 1: But then we had the ball and then we had a really lovely weekend. But then the Monday, the Monday, guys, we I think most of you know by now we had a bit of a n ata that has kind of been coming, you know, for sort of twelve months. I think most of you know. Little Paul, beautiful Golden retriever, my first bond son, my first won son, had a diagnosis of lung cancer last year. And you know, he was eleven at the time, so he wasn't a young He wasn't a puppy, but we were quite shocked and I didn't even know dogs could get lung cancer. And we had a dogy acupuncturist, and like a nadrabat, Yeah, changed his diet, had lots of supplements and took him off anything inflammatory like kibble and stuff which is like triple cooked, and for a dog that has any kind of inflammation, it kind of isn't as good for their body, So put him on raw food. Some of you have probably seen his Green Goddess bowls that were like healthier than all of our food and cost more than all.
Speaker 3: Of the boxes his Meno boxes.
Speaker 2: And that stopped the tumors growing for a year.
Speaker 1: So he had another beautiful year of no pain and like being you know, a twelve year old dog, so a little bit less active, but still happy, bathing his toys every day. And it was his twelfth birthday a couple of.
Speaker 2: Weeks ago, and he was doing really, really well.
Speaker 1: And then I think we always knew it would happen quite quickly like that, when the tumors eventually became too much of his body, it would happen really fast. So we had a weekend of like he wasn't super hungry, and he wasn't super jumpy, but he was also not you know, dramatically different or anything. So it all came on really suddenly. We had a beautiful weekend together. Higgsy came over. You know, Yeahhagy loves loves Paul because he's been around, you know, he was there when we got him as a puppy. And then Monday morning he just woke up and the tumbors had spread everywhere and little boy couldn't breathe, and it all happened really fast. So by Monday night we kind of had to make the decision to say goodbye.
Speaker 3: Was he just like did he just wake up? And then literally like was it like lethargy?
Speaker 2: Was that this snow?
Speaker 1: It was like a flat He went to sleep on Sunday night like basically normal. So by Monday morning, I actually woke up because I heard.
Speaker 2: His breathing like the I think his lungs had filled with like with all with liquid.
Speaker 1: And it had happened fast. You know, it was going to happen. It was always going to happen like that. But straight away he really couldn't breathe in all the way like you could hear hear the liquid kind of rattling, and he was you could see he was so uncomfortable trying to get enough air in, and I sort of thought, you know, this could be an infection or something acute, or it could be something more you know, nefarious. But I also because it had come on so suddenly, I was like, but we, you know, will figure it out. And then like two hours later they sort of like you you are at that point in his life where you have to decie what's right for him rather than you guys like, we of course want to keep him for as long as we can, but he was like visibly uncomfortable, and oh my gosh, it was the worst day I reckon the worst day in my memory.
Speaker 2: Like it was just awful, and the whole.
Speaker 1: Family was there and like he had I'm so glad he didn't suffer for very long. We were all there with him, like right till the last moment. But you guys know, like if anyone I sort of was a little bit worried that people who didn't have animals would not understand the gravity of our reaction. But it's been the opposite, Like people more compassionate about animals than they are about people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I also feel like Paul had his own identity. I feel like people like followed you, some followed you for more poor content. Like I think if you've had a dog ever once in your life, even if you don't have one now, you can kind of get it. We've only ever had to put down one dog because our last one's passed away. Literally it was the most beautiful passing. She kind of just like it was like thirteen years old. Yeah, fell asleep and it was kind of we didn't have to go through it. It was sad, but we didn't have.
Speaker 2: To make a decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Whereas that, I feel like it's just the hardest thing. I was so sad for you.
Speaker 2: You started crying straight away. And then but.
Speaker 3: Because they can't talk to you, I think that's part of it as well. They can't say thank you, can they just look? God?
Speaker 1: It was it was like, I really I've never lost a pet as an adult, and I thought that maybe being you know, more aware of your emotions, that you could rationalize it better. But I actually think it's worse because you're so aware of like you attached such deep emotions to this, like your firstborn child, and it was like the beautiful thing has been that I like always thought I was really biased that he was a really special dog. But I'm not even joking. Like we've had a miscarriage, we've been engaged, we've been married, We've had lots of big life milestones, all of them combined did not compare even one percent to the response for Paul, Like, yeah, thousands of people from overseas who never met us or met him were just like, this little animal brought me joy or got me through lockdown with his costumes or every day I looked forward to his little stories, and he realized animals bring so much joy and they like they actually actively change people's mood, and like he had such a beautiful little legacy in the best life for.
Speaker 3: We always said he was yours and Nicks and even my like therapy dog. He was like, oh, everyone's anxiety dog. But he also was like I think the other thing is like a lot of people react did more than they did in your previous bad news. But you guys, also, I've never seen you or Nick respond as such like a visceral way to anything I've never seen myself in the time that I've known you and so I was like and I was like, I fully get it. That is the last time we spoke about the prospect of poor like dying or having to be put down was last year when you thought that was kind of going to be it. And the nice thing that you did say that you were like, we're so happy that you guys, you had given him the best life, because that's true, you did, like he was so loved. He went to his spy.
Speaker 2: Every doggie day spa and his spy ladies. Oh no, did the vet people cried everyone because the vets have been his vets for twelve years. That they were just beautiful.
Speaker 1: And you know what's surprising, so many people who we told, like in person burst into tears, like burst into tears.
Speaker 2: Oh this beautiful little dog.
Speaker 1: And it just it was it was like a heartbreaking but also really heartwarming week of like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, our little boy, like he really people really loved watching him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, it was really nice but also really interesting to I'm not I'm very rarely out of control of my emotions, Like I'm pretty stoic and I cry, but I cry, like you know, I do this. I'll have something insane happened to me, and I'll be like together, and then I'll get home and then I'll process it for a few hours and then I'll ball. But I very rarely lose it like in front of people. I don't know why. I just kind of go numb for the first little bit and then it kind of happens, you know.
Speaker 2: But it was in the it like like on the ground, balling my eyes at Nick, bawling his idol. We were just like what is happening to us? Didn't want to eat, didn't want to sleep, Like it was grief, is con assume me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how are you now?
Speaker 2: It's been two weeks. Yeah, and like I you know, I haven't taken time. I had a miscarriage. I didn't take more than two days off work. I went straight back to work after the surgery. And even that I could kind of process better than this. I took like a week of work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just couldn't function you both, you and me.
Speaker 1: Both And interestingly I thought that people would be judgmental of the like lack of professionalism that that showed. But in fact, for an animal, everyone understands that. They were like they don't submit, don't you come back?
Speaker 2: For two weeks, three weeks, as long as you need everyone's even like overly compassion.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm actually, you know, time heals those things more than anything. Yeah, And I think we cried all day the first few days, and then you cry in bad like bursts, and then it becomes easier slowly to celebrate the really lovely things rather then to just lament the loss. And also because we had so much support, it took me a few days to be able to read everyone's messages. And then a couple of friends were really lovely and we're like, you know, you don't have to respond to all of them or read them all, like they're given with love and that no one expects you to read them but not read them.
Speaker 2: But you know, replied to all of them.
Speaker 1: But I was like, actually, a lot of the time people sent really meaningful poems or quotes that helped give you perspective with your grief. So one of them was like, don't lament that your dog wasn't there for your whole life, because you were there for their whole life, and like those things actually help you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he never lived.
Speaker 1: A day without love. Yeah, And even if we were overseas. He was with my mum or my aunties or my brother, like he had his pack. You could, honestly you could not have had a moss bog One retriever like he had the best life ever. And that kind of support really helps you. I don't know, it was just so nice to see you, know how. I'm fascinated by community and people connecting through common experience even though they've never met, they live in different countries, their cultures don't like necessarily a line, but they can understand the love for an animal. It was just one of those beautiful humanity moments where you're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, just life, beauty, pain, Like it all was just a lot.
Speaker 1: But it's been I think good timing that we're moving house because it's been hard.
Speaker 2: To be in the house.
Speaker 1: His toys are still exactly where he left them because they're so purposefully placed, and we all we just like don't look at them.
Speaker 3: So I was going to say, I feel like it's perfect that you had this outlet as a place that you could still be twenty four to seven that still felt like home. Yea, because the worst thing you'd want is for home to be home, but you don't want to be homes Where else can you be? So yeah, you know you're at a cafe whereas this you guys love being here. But I feel like this is also another testament to why we love social media for all of it's sometimes negativity. I feel that you have a very positive space and community, and I almost feel like that helped kind of fast track your grieving process totally by saying, within us, we are very sad, but then there's this outpour of like a sense of happiness by all the support, and then all of a sudden you're like, oh, perspective, perspective, perspective at all. It makes it easier for you. I felt like that because I would have.
Speaker 2: Thought that you would have been worse for longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I do. I think maybe I thought you would have been not as sad as you were, Like very sad obviously, but that was like another level of sadness thinking you guys, but for longer, as opposed to like really like a lot, and I really intensive it around of it for a shorter period of time. Not to say that now you're not mourning anymore. But I saw you probably and six days after, and both of you were happy to talk about it. See other dogs that we bought roomy again. For some people it was like, no, that's a really it's too early, or you know, it's very reminiscent of.
Speaker 1: But what have you done with the exactly where? Because he puts them in places, so we had to leave them.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because they're just.
Speaker 3: In such purposeful places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I and so one of them, his main one, Borrows, his og went with him.
Speaker 2: That made me go again because Boris is like I've got dreadlocks because of our Boris is the longest standing. Oh my god, and it's Boris version five because when Paul was little, he used to actually eat his toy.
Speaker 1: He used to be naughty, but this version five has been like ten years or something.
Speaker 3: Boris for the long for the time that I've known you, which had seven, he had the same Borrows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so but it was interesting. It took us.
Speaker 1: I reckon until that day at the footy, Like I hadn't even left the house. I had that one job the next day where I just compartmentalized, and then I don't think I even saw people at all until Yeah, we went to the footy and that was the first dog we've seen as well, and we you know, we watched a lot of animal memes, like we couldn't we just didn't watch anything like Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting because like we are especially here.
Speaker 1: I was like, how do I talk about this because we are such a positivity focused.
Speaker 2: Kind of community, But.
Speaker 1: Navigating grief with everyone was also really lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a really interesting few weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I also think it's real, Like I think there's a I feel like if you stay overly positive in times too much, it's like that toxic positivity you know, not trend but theme where if you came on and said I am the happiest because Paul is a celebration of life and that's all I would be like, no, that's wrong, because you're heaved.
Speaker 2: For days, you know, even have a breakdown.
Speaker 3: Some people have asked me, would you get questions no about Paul? Would you get another dog?
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is really difficult because.
Speaker 1: We just about to move into a new house and like have it's got a different yard configuration and why not used to the environment yet, I don't know. It's a really difficult thing because Nick is very hesitant because he doesn't want to feel disloyal, like he doesn't want to feel because he he's had Goldies before, but then he had.
Speaker 2: I've never had a Goldie before, but he had bought a.
Speaker 1: Collies in between, and so it's kind of been a really and he was really little when he had the Goldies. So I think now he's like, I don't want to replace Paul. It's really hard to get your head around like.
Speaker 3: Another breed or something or just another.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think we'd get another breed, but I think he would want to leave enough time to honor our experience with Paul, even though in my mind it's been easier for me to think a new puppy would not you're not replacing your old dog like you're it's a totally different experience. But also I yeah, he definitely needs to have enough time to kind of be ready for that.
Speaker 2: And I don't know. It's weird because my inclination is where.
Speaker 1: I've become a dog person, like I'm a dog mum, So it's any period where I don't have a dog is so weird.
Speaker 2: Like I don't want to walk around the park by myself like dog, Like my whole day is around my dog, so it's so weird. I kind of am like, yeah, we want to be dog people again, but then I understand that he's not quite ready.
Speaker 1: So and also, you know, we're going away. We've got this career trip coming up, which is so which we can talk about in a second. But you know, maybe we do take a little break from from having a dog until we've settled into the house a bit more and we like we're used to the space. And also I forgot Paul was such a well behaved dog, but he was naughty between like zero and two everything. Yeah, you've got to train him and you've got to really commit to being there.
Speaker 3: We underestimated how long the puppy then adolescent yea, it lastspy, but don't tell you about adolescent phase.
Speaker 2: I think it's a months to eighteen months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, right, And then they said, all but it's like, yeah, it's not like two months, it's like a year.
Speaker 3: He's quite like, you know, I have to say, he's quite good for his age, but he's still a little bit nippy, a bit sided. But he he also lives in like a sharehouse, is a very different experience. Yeah, but to summarize, your short answer is yes, but it's not right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, but not just yet. And I think we'll just be guided by when Nick feels ready and just see see how he feels.
Speaker 3: Do you think you would get like from zero years old?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: Because we just we love Golden Retrievers, and we had Paul from a baby, like we picked him. I met him when he was like two weeks old.
Speaker 2: Oh baby poor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. Yeah, but I mean yeah, I mean if anyone has a goal out for an.
Speaker 3: Option, sure, well I've got one.
Speaker 2: Good remember DMS. Yeah it's yeah, it's been.
Speaker 1: A really it's been a really weird but a really nice time. The neighborhood is just a beautiful place. You guys have all been lovely, and people sending messages from their.
Speaker 2: Dogs really cute, so cute pictures and videos and also pictures of people sending us pictures of them crying over.
Speaker 3: Paul so lovely.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you guys are all touched, like people are like so the real dads literally, you know, the real dads who are our good friends, who we love Jared and they're just amazing. So we run into Jared at our local cafe the other day anyway, and he messaged me later and he's like a friend of his who's not a friend of ours, we don't know, but knows that he knows us. Literally walked in the door crying at his house and goes, did you hear.
Speaker 3: About Paul stop?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's really lovely, that's kind of comfort.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good. Yeah, I'm glad. Yeah, I knew we had to touch on that, but I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're better, not like but better than much better.
Speaker 1: And thank you all for being so patient and compassionate about Like I was like, I'm just going to take a week off recording, and everyone was like, as if you take only a week, like, everyone was just really lovely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, it feels like a long time ago now, but it's two weeks. So I'm even surprised that you're you're both as just back doing what you were doing before as quickly as you are.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, and then there comes a point where like, distraction is nice. I think if we did it, if we distracted ourselves too heavily in the first week, we wouldn't have processed it. Yeah, but the second week was kind of like Okay, we can do little tasks, but.
Speaker 3: Almost feel like that's Nicks. That's always been nixed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's still process is always yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I remember him being like Nick's already on emails. I was like, yeah, because his mechanism would be distracted, distract work.
Speaker 2: Oh he built the entire kitchen like in three days.
Speaker 3: Just head down work and that's his escape.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was like, but maybe it's still like a good idea, just like appreciate just to be gentle, like he's doing it because that's his actually.
Speaker 2: His way of his ways going through and he's.
Speaker 1: Definitely been And there's also interesting watching people cope with emotions differently. I didn't want to talk about it until then suddenly when I was ready, I wanted to just talk about the lovely parts. He's still like, thank you, that's lovely. Anyway, let's not talk about dogs anymore. Like he's still quite really grateful for people acknowledging it and then like don't want to talk about it too much, yeah, which is yeah. Really, it's like just different different ways of coping. Young Australians have never been more lonely, yet loneliness is rarely discussed and often misunderstood. Season two of the We Are Lonely podcast is a part of Medibanks's ten year commitment to reduce chronic loneliness in Australia. Follow the journey of four day Verse twenty somethings on their search for connection. It's shocking enough and I found it so surprising to know that half of us will feel lonely this week. But it may surprise you more to learn that young adults are some of the loneliest people in Australia. If we learn to understand and manage feelings of loneliness, it can be a normal part of the human spectrum of emotions. Just as we all get hungry or thirsty, we all get lonely. It's a normal part of being human, but if it becomes chronic, it can have the same impact on us as smoking fifteen cigarettes a day. Over this six part reality podcast series, four young people meet with mentors and experts who will help them build strategies to reconnect. Through their stories, we understand the reality of loneliness in Australia, experience by a generation that theoretically has never been more connected. Follow four vastly different young adults as We Are Lonely unpacks the complexity of emotions that comes with this formative period in our lives. We Are Lonely is available wherever you listen to your podcasts. Search for We Are Lonely and listen today.
Speaker 3: I just change the topic. But now I've got the back of my mind this career trip. Yeah, we're so excited.
Speaker 1: So our next trip with the amazing jet Star family is too South Korea.
Speaker 2: So jealous because you love Korea.
Speaker 3: Our family obsessed Korean and japan obsessed. The last trip we went to before lockdown was I when yeah, I was in China and then met my siblings in Korea and Japan and we're like Nick's been again since and he's going again in October. Like we're all as a family.
Speaker 2: And as little brother as Kordnick by the way, yeah sorry.
Speaker 3: And then as a sibling group we love it's so bud.
Speaker 2: Do you guys do sibling holidays?
Speaker 3: Well that was the first time we had done because we can only just turn maybe eighteen at that time or maybe yeah, seventeen eighteen. Yeah, but yeah, we're just kind of Jenna, Nick and Katherine and even Justine kind of really get into k dramas. I'll get into it once they tell me it's really good or not.
Speaker 2: And then you made me get into Krie Oh my God, singles Infernal.
Speaker 3: Cry.
Speaker 2: Ja No No, No, Singles Infernal.
Speaker 1: We watched The Higher in One two seasons, two seasons, and then I got into Squid Game, and then I got up with BTS.
Speaker 3: I surprised yourself with BTS.
Speaker 1: It was weird because they've always been like no, like I didn't grow up in the culture you like k pup, And now I'm like, I know.
Speaker 3: All the work, all the choreography. It was locked like all of the singers like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like their personalities, their history, their families.
Speaker 3: Yeah you. I was like, it's weird. I was actually quite shocked because normally you're but.
Speaker 2: I'm a closet family. Only you know, Ruby knows that's it.
Speaker 3: You're in the closet, do you know?
Speaker 2: It was Lockdown. I just like they because they're.
Speaker 1: So positive, like they're very happy and wholesome.
Speaker 2: They're really wholesome.
Speaker 1: So they're reality TV shows that they have, like they're so famous, but the reality TV shows are them just being normal, like really down to earth. And because in Lockdown, we had nothing to do, and like I'd run out of shows. I just started watching this reality TV show and being like what is this all about? Like why do they have more followers than Biber? Why are they How did Korea which is a small country the economy but like in the scale of the world, and like why did they accelerate to beyond any other YouTube subscriber, any other Spotify download? Like how did this kind of happen when in the eighties it was like a third world country?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then it was just so wholesome and lovely and such a nice escape that then I got like, Okay, well I've got to watch.
Speaker 2: All of them and learn. Also no other K pop group though, only BTS.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then when we did the marathon which came the half marathon, sorry, when things had just opened up. And then I did that crazy thing where I flew to New York and the.
Speaker 2: Year and then I came here home, and then I ran by myself because I was in It's seventy two our quarantine amay whatever you guys might remember.
Speaker 1: It was just oh my god, total clusterfuck my whole soundtrack to keep me going with BTS, I've got it.
Speaker 3: You will say, you'll see.
Speaker 2: It on my phone.
Speaker 3: It's literally lovely.
Speaker 2: It's not even called BTS, it's just called twenty twenty one. It's like and it's just every song.
Speaker 3: The genuinely the only thing that you've that's really Korean of me, really Korean you've really really Korean of you, but also super pop culture yea, like really obsessed. Yess we this're so funny.
Speaker 1: But I don't acknowledge it except every now and then someone in our like group or industry will post something about k PUP and I'll just get the reference and be like, eh, like comment.
Speaker 2: I think, like I'm in the know, and they'll be.
Speaker 3: Like, I've exposed myself. Anyways, you're going.
Speaker 2: To correct CBTs EBG. I say, with it, I would actually be saved.
Speaker 3: But they're doing the middle.
Speaker 2: Actually, I know, which is lovely.
Speaker 1: Which is why I hadn't been back for so long, because it was a bit murky if I'd be eligible for military service if I went back. Anyway, went back in twenty nineteen with Nike for an incredible work trip. God, We've been just so fortunate with such amazing opportunities. But I didn't do sort of anything, you know, visiting the orphaned where we're from, or connect with like my foster family or anything. Because it was such a quick, well wind trip with Nike for this particular launch, and because Nick wasn't with me, so I thought, I'll wait and I'll bring him back.
Speaker 2: Because he's never.
Speaker 1: Been to Korea, and you know, we've been married now for a while. I kind of want him to have seen and experienced at all. So the last time we were at we were adopted from what's called now called Eastern Social Welfare Services. It's an orphanage in Soul that also has a hospital. And I think it was two thousand and two was the last time Mom, Dad, Alex and I went back during the World Cup and we met our foster parents who had looked after us from like zero to five months and who were adopted. And we've got all these beautiful photos anyway, and so we're going back to Seoul. They're doing a huge I think there's a competition right now. Actually this might come out on time to win a trip for U and five your mates. Just also you should enter. Oh my god, right now it's unjust hous page. You got announced yesterday and there's some amazing Salefirs, and we're going to document obviously the entire troupe and put together as sole itinery for anyone who wants to go, because there's just so much to do. But we also emailed Easton and said we're going to be there, so.
Speaker 2: We're going to go visit.
Speaker 1: So it's going to be lovely like a circle. Yeah, have a look at the post now. I think this episode will come out tomorrow, so I think just double check. Actually, how long the competition?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Yeah, we're in a trip for six people. This is for our family, so bim you go, Oh my god, most credible. We're obviously going to do bets dance.
Speaker 2: Where you are most crazy? You knows all the chore? Is it like you propose?
Speaker 3: You have to propose to your family, question and question to your soul mate.
Speaker 2: Your soul mate, your soul mat anyway, but oh my so guys, go when does it close?
Speaker 3: Eleventh of September?
Speaker 2: You have time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, much time?
Speaker 2: Go enter.
Speaker 3: The same time. My god, I'm free too. Oh my god, I'm free too. So that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: We'll put together a little itinery and there will be.
Speaker 1: A podcast diary I Recognition Nick and I should record a little audio diary at the end of each day to say what we did and like how we felt, and then do that as an episode in the block when they do like vlogs, vlogs, mini vol.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what Yeah?
Speaker 3: You should definitely.
Speaker 2: So that's that's what's coming up in the next little while. What else do we have? I'm finding ourselves again. Miss Kim was your missus Kim?
Speaker 3: You told me.
Speaker 1: Also, there's only like five surnames increasing what I mean, missus. No, it's like Kim, Park, Lee, Joy, and Son Yeah. Popular, Yeah, I think there's maybe seven. It's so weird that there's so few surnames.
Speaker 3: Okay, but missus Kim was the lady who looked after you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was her first baby and she fostered I think like forty five children.
Speaker 3: So are you meeting her? I hope.
Speaker 1: So they'll see if she's available and then hopefully we'll get to catch up with her.
Speaker 3: That's really exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm really I'm really excited.
Speaker 1: It's insult I was in so I was born in Daegu, which is the third biggest city in Korea, and it's I think maybe a three hour three hour drive I can't actually remember, I should look that up out of soul, but the Eastern is insoul, so we'll be able to go easily like during our trip.
Speaker 3: Korean is my favorite. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I love Kim Kim.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna Kim Chi Kim Tree Queen Bubbacue. There's a lot of bubbecue.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of Korean bube a beer, so fed chicken, curran chicken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm getting carried away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the update, what's the update for you? You're back at footy?
Speaker 3: No foot is finished? That was last year.
Speaker 2: You were back at footy and we went to come with your last game.
Speaker 3: Yes you did, because we've been done.
Speaker 2: Your for like a month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's last game, which by the end of the season. I was like, thank the Lord, because that lord.
Speaker 2: You were bog by the way, and was second best on ground and it was around like every game.
Speaker 3: No, I actually wasn't.
Speaker 2: You actually were bog.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: And by bog, I mean you did a big poo.
Speaker 3: You know Sarah Loan's one like sports dragon bog You were bog? How much you are you bog? Anyway? Bog bog?
Speaker 2: Bye Luggy bye Buggy.
Speaker 3: We and then I was like, oh, thank god because I didn't like it because but because it's very time consuming. Yeah, and this is like just local footy. And then it finished and I was like, oh I miss footy a little bit. But that was the last game. Nothing else really major dog sitting at the minute, has brought a collie.
Speaker 2: You've been painting a lot, You've been putting on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Connor's wrong, I'm stressed.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: Connors Run is this Sunday or you can run your way any day all through September, which they started during Lockdown, where if you're not in Melbourne on the day, you can.
Speaker 3: Do it anywhere.
Speaker 1: Ye do it anywhere. But there's also like an iconic Connor's Run track if you wanted to do it on the day with everyone, which is lovely. It raises money for the Robert Connor Dawes Foundation. Liz Doors has been on the show. You should actually go back and listen to her episode, and it raises funds for the number one disease killer of children, which is pediatric brain cancer.
Speaker 2: She's amazing, Liz.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole family is amazing.
Speaker 2: They're so amazing.
Speaker 1: So, oh my god, you're running is it fifteen point four or something?
Speaker 3: Is eighteen? Boy? Hat?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: I won't die?
Speaker 2: I'm actually do you have trained negative.
Speaker 3: Negative zero, negative one hundred for this? Oh my god, I'll give you my BTS playlist. It's you and we obviously haven't done that. We've got a group from doing it, a bunch of ots. Yeah, social works and all of us booked like months ago, and we've all been like, oh my god, it's this Sunday and not one of one, Like Cassie's probably the only person when is ready cause she's been training for a half iron Man, So like, you're getting ready?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really, I think you've run enough you could smash.
Speaker 3: My only concern is my last footy game. You're calf, Yeah you remember, yep? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So and you also got massively punched in the vagina. I did, actually did like on the ground.
Speaker 3: My synthesis, my pubic synthesis sounds like it's like orchestra, but the pso I didn't think.
Speaker 2: I next said the fowls job.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's so bad. So he goes said something like I said something about lips or something, and he's like oh, like how it's like it's like witch lips or something.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, no, no, no, it was way funnier than that.
Speaker 3: And then he said I was like, oh, yeah, my virgime is like bruised from last weeking he goes, oh, did you something about the lips, and then he said I was like ah, and then he goes, did you wear the mouth cardh.
Speaker 2: My god, it's so great.
Speaker 3: It's so bad. I was like, that's quite good. I did the mouthguard register it or something?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I don't know anyway, So I thought it was funny than that.
Speaker 3: I thought I got a corky during the game. So, and I don't often, but.
Speaker 2: Your bruises are really bad lately.
Speaker 3: Bruces a really bad. It's like a peach. It's actually really bad.
Speaker 1: No, it's like you think that you don't bruise like a peach. You just get thrown around a lot, like you throw your body around like a crazy Yeah it's true.
Speaker 3: Well I didn't think so, but I've got footage. The consistent feedback that I've gotten is that I go hard at the pool. So I got this. I thought it was a corky in the game because I I just remember at halftime being like, oh, my cast really saw but I don't remember like a strain in the game, so I presumed it was a corky. And then the next day I tried to run and I was like, well, come right. And then the next Thursday I went to do another run and I was like, oh, like three steps and I was like, oh no, I had to go change my shoes to like my more supportive shoes. And then I was like, oh no.
Speaker 2: Just person thing I've ever heard you say.
Speaker 1: I'm most supportive for my hush puppies, my pharmacy shoes, my class class.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm going to make this run now and now you'll do You'll be fun.
Speaker 3: So I'm trying to do mass, like mass, recovery mass, yeah, protection of the cars.
Speaker 2: I was adrenaline on the day, like you'll be fine. You can also walk, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's more so if it is a cuff strain and I'll likely do a good amount of damage on it in an eighteen, which you know, I want to do it anyway.
Speaker 1: I also do it your way any day. If you don't finish the full A ten point eight on the day, but there's a.
Speaker 3: Group of us, so I'm going to let them the time. But I thought I could also got to train. Oh my god, because it's Hampton to say no to run to the finish line. If I got to train, I get really.
Speaker 2: Get your middle and yes, thank you everyone run. I'm just really fast.
Speaker 3: Having this weekend.
Speaker 2: I believe it's September.
Speaker 3: Was getting married in Vietnam, So it's very exciting. Debt luxury actually, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think through the spring as welling.
Speaker 3: Spring spring springs very exciting.
Speaker 1: We also have some fabulous guests coming out. Were really oh yes, I am back working. So hopefully we'll have another guest episode for you next week and then we'll be back with you, and then we also need to get back into this yea that yay. I think you should save these ones that you have because we've kind of already chatted for like forty five minutes, and I feel like that sandwiches it.
Speaker 3: Here, our sandwiches wait, so fucking wait.
Speaker 1: I feel like I had more news as well. I can't remember what else what else is happening? Oh, I'm doing the shut up for M and D challenge for you're on.
Speaker 3: Is it where you stop talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah for twelve hours twenty first September.
Speaker 3: Wait you actually just don't talk?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really excited.
Speaker 3: That would be really excited too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone's really excited.
Speaker 3: More this year that year than it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, save and bim, same for next time.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, and you guys please keep submitting them because they're such they're so funny and we're so judging everyone this.
Speaker 2: Year that Yeah, any yay is fine and.
Speaker 3: Makes your know, it makes you happy, like I who does that? No, so judgy anyway, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well this is a safe space.
Speaker 3: Well, we hope to be on time next time. Yeah. It was our news Go Sees events. Oh my god. Okay, so we suck. This is what happens. We have no agenda.
Speaker 1: We are also working on our next events. As you guys know, we were going to we had two interstate so we kind of did our Melbourne and Sydney, and then we had two interstate events planned in Adelaide and Brisbane and then things just kind of got crazy. So we will do those and we are working on them. But we also have another Melbourne one coming up, which is really exciting, which I also think we shouldn't announce until we've got the detail like the date locked in.
Speaker 3: But it's a really fun one. Counting under roofs what you Obviously we're not impressed on my as primary school in your.
Speaker 2: Fine okay, also for the next this year with that, can you jinx under a roof or not?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: You can, No, you can't. That's how it goes personals, counting sund.
Speaker 2: The roofs doesn't. But there is something about buying someone to coke.
Speaker 3: There is not, guys, follow up the next episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like you have to buy someone a coke or something? Am I remembering that?
Speaker 1: Right? Like you get out of the jinx of you by the mon I've never heard you obviously didn't go to my premieres gear.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm cutting myself. Oh my Godlius.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys so much for your patience, for your love, for all the beautiful messages of supporting the neighborhood for little Paul, and we will be back next week with the guest episode and then back with the Yay next time.
Speaker 2: Bye bye