Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom with Me a podcast Muma Me your acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters this podcast is recorded on. This episode deals with discussions of sexual abuse, mental ill health, and pregnancy termination and won't be for everyone. If you or anyone you know needs help, there is a list of support services in our show notes. Sleep a time to rest, recover, and reset, allowing you to wake refreshed and ready to face a brand new day. That elusive eight hours we all strive for, filled with dreams that quietly keep us company through the night. But for Cindy, sleep wasn't a luxury. It was something a little more complicated.
Speaker 2: I'm the type of person you get on a plane. I am there to sleep until that thing lands like I can sleep through a lot, I am to ram in a couple minutes.
Speaker 3: I sleep heavy.
Speaker 2: I've had things in the past that, like gatherings or parties, you and have fallen asleep.
Speaker 1: While those complications can steal those dreams away, what you don't expect is for them to be replaced by nightmares. Not the kind you have in your sleep, the kind happening in real life.
Speaker 2: I started waking up knowing that something had happened, but having no recollection of it, and I brushed it off each time, and then I woke up one morning and he was actively doing things to me.
Speaker 1: I'm Georgia Love and this is everyone has an EGGX. Come with me as we dive into a collection of unconventional stories about relationships past through the eyes and the hearts of.
Speaker 3: The very people who lived them.
Speaker 1: We begin this story like so many others. Cindy's twenty five. She's been single for three years following a difficult relationship. She wasn't actively looking for anything new, but she was open to it. So when ted slid into a DA felt like the universe was giving her exactly what she needed.
Speaker 2: So we were both a part of a music scene, and so we had mutual friends. He was just someone that I knew of. I hadn't really ever thought that deeply into seeing him as like a romantic connection because he was always in relationships. I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic. The timing seemed perfect. He was gorgeous, and yeah, I was pretty stoked to get a message from him. He just came out of nowhere and it was good. It was exciting. He was really talented and very charismatic. It just seemed like he sort of had the world at his feet. He was a really incredible musician, and I loved his bands and projects that he did. He kind of came across a bit of an asshole, if I'm honest, but when I actually met him, he was really sweet and very caring and just a real soft year. So from that message, we then planned to meet up at a gig together for an international band. He was filling in for another band that night, so we had planned to catch up after that, and once he played, I think we shared a jug of beer or something, and then we went to a local dive bar and the chemistry was just through the roof. I remember sitting at a table at this dive bar and they have bowls of peanuts and pints of beer, and he just leaned in at some point and it just started kissing me. And then I think it was sort of like all right, time to go, and we went back to his house and had a pretty wild night. And yeah, it was a very immediate connection, and from that moment on we were just really like side by side. We very much like started dating after that night. It was a lot of fun. We would spend a lot of money on like hotel rooms just so we could go somewhere bougie and have a little staycation. That was always our favorite thing to do, and because we were both living at our parents' homes at the time, it was just way more fun doing that. But we would go to a lot of gigs. We would go to his shows, and yeah, we just hang out a lot. I just had an experienced an instantaneous connection that deeply before.
Speaker 1: Now, dear listener, you may have picked up that Ted was in a band, and bands often go on tour, so you can kind of guess what happens next.
Speaker 2: I think he was living his best rock star life, thinking everything's changing from here. He was getting a bit of a big head over it. Yeah, just too big in his boots. And I think he also didn't see me much as a like a serious thing at that time, where I definitely, you know, I don't date to not fall in love kind of thing. So it was a lot more serious for me than it was for him. So we dated for a couple months and then we broke up. It all kicked off over some silly argument regarding my birthday. He was supposed to come catch up, but he was a heavy weed smoker at the time, and I don't know. I guess he got a better offer from one of his friends to sit in a shed and do that when he was supposed to come see me for the birthday, and then that started argument, and then yeah, I guess he saw him jetting off to tour across the seas as an opportunity to just end it. It was devastating when he first left, but you know, I wasn't that deep into it where it's like, oh, it's going to ruin my life.
Speaker 1: But Ted's tour was cut short as COVID swept the globe, and he and Cindy still kept in contact with a few texts and emails here and there. There were no hard feelings, so it should come as no surprise they found.
Speaker 2: Their way back together. Halfway through the year. We rekindled again and had a bit of a rockstar moment in a green room at a venue. There was a gig on his band happened to be playing it. I just went to the gig, and I think he came up to apologize to me at some point, and yeah, I suggested something and we went and did that and actually got pregnant from that, which is wild, But from that is where I really felt for him, because we weren't ready to be parents whatsoever. And the way he handled being there for me during that was incredible, and I thought it was the most selfless thing and just he really showed up for me. He had had a lot of time to think about the way he had treated me, maybe six months earlier, and he saw me moving on and living my life, and I guess that put things into persons inspective for him, And yeah, he was quite keen to get something real going after that. There was no hesitation from me, and I was just excited to give it a proper go. There was just a lot of There was a lot of fire there in a good way. It was good and it was passionate. We were both still living at home and I used to drive down to his house. We always had a lot of fun. He had a very normal family life, whereas my home was a little bit different. So we'd always hang at his house. Was a little bit more fun there, and he had all the instruments and there was cooler places to go around that, so that's what we would do.
Speaker 3: Most of the time.
Speaker 1: At this point, they were five months into their official relationship, and it's fair to say Cindy was experiencing the highest of highs.
Speaker 2: We were sitting outside our regular favorite dive bar at the top of some stairs, and it was coming up to Christmas time, and he had said something along the lines of oh, my family like we all love you, and I said, oh, do you like we? And he's just turned to me and he told me he loved me, and yeah, it was kind of a really beautiful moment.
Speaker 1: But as so often can happen, life then dealt them the lowest of lows.
Speaker 2: We had to have two separate terminations because we weren't ready to be parents, and the second one was significantly more heavy. I remember missing my period and saying to him, I was like, there's more than one. There's definitely more than one in me. And we thought we were at the end of the first trimester by that point, and we were freaking out. We both couldn't really afford it because it's ridiculously expensive. I went to go get the referral to get the procedure done, and I had a doctor tell me sorry, because of my religious beliefs, I can't help you. So I've sort of run out there crying because again I'm like panicking, thinking it's the end of the first trimester, like what do I do?
Speaker 3: And I actually had.
Speaker 2: A woman doctor called me a little bit later and she said, come in, I'll help you. And she actually helped get funding as well, which was incredible. But when I went in for the procedure, I was getting the ultrasound done and I was sort of looking out of the corner of my eye. The nurse was staring quite intensely at the screen and I just sort of knew it was coming. She said, just to let you know, there's multiples and I was like, yeah, I know, and she said, how do you know? Have you had an ultrasound? I said no, I just know and she said, okay, you're about seven weeks. I dealt with a lot of guilt afterwards. I was really struggling. He didn't really understand.
Speaker 1: And then ted fell back into old habits, a pattern that I urged every time things got hard.
Speaker 2: He would just block me on all platforms after like a very minimal fight or whatever, and then he would be back on the dating apps within two days. So from then I guess that sort of set the tone for each argument that we'd have after that, because it was sort of like I was always needing him to show up and he was always needing to run away sort of thing. When we'd argue, I would just really need to sort it out there and then and not let it linger, whereas he would like to go away for However, long after the second termination, there was a night where I sort of had a bit of a mental breakdown because I was absolutely dealing with every symptom of post abortion syndrome, which I know isn't technically considered a real thing, but it exists one hundred percent, and it was just hard not understanding it at the time. And there also just been all these incredible highs with our relationship, but then just random disappearings and yeah, just a whole lot of confusion. It was slowly just driving me into this complete place of unknown, and it was very it was very new to me. After the blocking, he would always it'd probably take a week or two, I don't know, if he was on the apps just to get an ego boost or something, but he'd always come back. We'd make up, or he'd send me the wyd message or like you know, and I'd just take the bait every time. But yeah, we'd always just end up back together. I would just be at home trying to make sense of it all while he was just out there living his life, and then when he wanted me back, he'd come back. It was incredibly hard to deal with because it's something I dealt with a lot in my previous relationship, so I had a lot of I just had a lot of issues with abandonment or feeling abandoned, feeling disposable, And yeah, it wasn't helpful whatsoever. I felt very much like I wanted to make sure that never happened again. I definitely tried to work on myself in the way I handle things, maybe how I can come to a compromise if we were to argue again, so it wouldn't end up so bad to the point where that felt necessary. It wasn't a good feeling whatsoever. It was horrible, But I guess every time he told me that, you know, he wanted to try again and do better, I believed him because why would he lie, Why wouldn't he be telling the truth. Things got quite a bit worse after that. He was going on tour with his band that was one night in one city, and second night and another and he wanted me to come because we had gotten back together, and I guess he knew that that would be really exciting and special like to have me there. And my only condition was that his band members knew that I was coming, because that would just be humiliating to rock up, and also it's just unfair on them because it's their tour as well. When I rocked up at the airport, I saw their faces. They had no idea where I was coming. And that tour was the start of some really bad things because from there we had a pretty explosive fight. On the second night, I'd fallen asleep at a venue.
Speaker 1: Cindy didn't just fall asleep because she was tired. She suffers from type one narcolepsy, a sleep disorder where your brain struggles to control sleep, causing overwhelming daytime tiredness and sudden muscle weakness, often triggered by strong emotions.
Speaker 2: I'm the type of person you get on a plane. I am near to sleep until that thing lands like I can sleep through a lot. I enter ram in a couple minutes. I sleep heavy I've had things in the past that, like gatherings or parties, you have fallen asleep. Something with my sleep disorder is called automatic behaviors. So it's like I could be folding laundry looking you get in the eye, having a conversation, but my eyes will be a little bit like glazed over. You'll be able to tell that I'm not actually awake. It's like sleep walking, basically.
Speaker 1: So it's not particularly surprising that Cindy couldn't help falling asleep in a loud, busy music venue. But Ted wasn't quite as understanding.
Speaker 2: He got quite angry about it, even though he was well aware that that would happen. But I tried to very quickly and quietly lat Ninja out of there and run back. I was running back to the hotel. I was so excited to get into that bed, and I just didn't want any problems as well, So I thought he would stay there and drink with his band mates. And I've dived into the bed and he just came bursting through the door, and he was so angry, like furious at me, and he made some offhand comment about a woman which I can't even remember what the comment was, but it was just so out of the blue that it really upset me because once he said that, he then turned around and left and I heard him get into the lift out in the hallway, and that sort of just kicked me off too, because it's like, don't say something to me. And then Bail like talked to me about it. So we had a quiet exploit a fight which resulted in us breaking up. When we got back from that tour, and we had a holiday booked that was meant to be for my birthday earlier in the year, but he told me you're not coming on the holiday. You know, he had control of the tickets, so I think I don't know if he sold my ticket, but you know, it was a holiday that I was paying my own way for and through. But I was told you're not going, and I had a gut feeling there was more going on there, because it just it was very sudden, like why he wouldn't want to sort anything out or even talk about what had happened. And had a bit of a gut feeling, so I made a Tinder I set the location to near him, and he was advertising my ticket on his Tinder bio, saying he needs a travel buddy good on the chin, I offered to drop him at the airport, to sort of be the bigger person, because at that point I was devastated, but I was more than happy to sacrifice my happiness for him because I thought, maybe it'll just mean will be in a good place by the time he's back.
Speaker 1: Or so she thought. But then she saw a status on his social media that he was traveling solo and asking any females who were doing the same to come and join him. This gut punch was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Speaker 2: I sent him an Instagram message and then I blocked him. I blocked him on everything, which was the first time I'd done that, And I came back after a couple hours to a very long email from him apologizing, telling me that he was so lonely there and he'd really loved my company, and he had never responded to me the way that he did when I sent him the Instagram message and blocked it. He the email that he sent me, I'd never heard him say things that he said in that before. He really seemed like he was scrambling because he was scared he was going to actually lose me because that was the first time that I had ever put my foot down and just been like, nope, we had done. I don't want to see you again. I think that scared him because he was losing someone that would stand by him through anything, and me being an absolute idiot. I booked a flight for two days later for fifteen hundred dollars, which is one thousand dollars more than what my original ticket cost. But I went over and met him there. It was like we were a couple again. We were having so much fun. We were going to little bars and he would get up and play with live bands and stuff. It was it was a great time. We were riding around on a scooter, got in some trouble and like we were just having a really good time. And when we got back, we'd have a couple of days to just chill out. We'd get back to it, we'd have a conversation after the weekend, and in that time on that weekend, he made it Tinder again and reconnected with a girl that he then started a relationship with for three months while we were still together. He was back on Tinder two days after we got back, which felt like a big kick in the teeth because I you know, I'd spent quite a bit of money to get over there, and you know, he just made it out that like, you know, we're walking around Pelton hands like I don't understand. Anytime we had an argument, he'd follow like a new influx of girls. But this was the one girl this time. And it turns out she was somebody that he had a history with, so unfortunately, you know, it was a lot more serious for her, and I think he completely screwed her over in the process.
Speaker 3: I flat out.
Speaker 2: Asked him if he was planning to catch up with this girl, and he promised, no, it's just an old friend. You know, we haven't spoken in years. We've just reconnected. And I said, well, where did you reconnect? And he claimed it was Instagram. He was staying at my house when he wasn't on tour. We were very much doing all the couple things. We just sort of naturally fell back together. But while that is happening, he was also seeing this other girl. We had plans to spend New Year's Eve together and just do something low key, and he was communicating with me and then he turned his phone off and I just something in my guard. I just knew that that meant he was going to be with her. One thing that I'm so grateful for it's my friends, because that night was so bad that the new year's going into twenty twenty three, I couldn't have got through it without my friends. They really had my back and very much last minute got me out of probably the darkest head space I'd ever been in. So start of January, him and I caught up and he had told me that he wasn't seeing her anymore. And I said to him, all right, well, how about we give this one last shot with none of this bullshit, no third parties. We just try one more time. He said, can we do it at the end of this month.
Speaker 1: It was an odd request, one Cindy could see right through. She wanted to believe his heart belonged to her, but all the signs suggested otherwise, and everything came to a head on a night that was meant to be all about her.
Speaker 2: I was having a twenty ninth birthday at my house, so as the first party I'd had in that house. So I was preparing that. I had some friends come over before the party to help set up, and he also came over because he didn't know all of my friends. During that Christmas New Year's Eve where he was spending more time with her, I developed some really really great friendships with people that are steal my right and eyes today. And so I had this big new group of friends, and I guess like it was sort of intriguing to him because you know, he'd see me so happy, which he hadn't seen for a long time. And so when this party was quite out of hand, actually there was a lot of people there and it was good though, so much love there. I remember him sitting around the table with all of my friends and they're all being so lovely to him because they don't know the worst parts of our relationship. They don't know, you know, I don't sit there and run his name to the ground, just not the way that things worked for me. So they're all happy to meet him, like they know some things, but they don't know how bad it really was or whatever. But I remember at one point he had left his phone inside. I was sitting with a friend on the couch inside and I felt something under me. I'm like, oh, that's his phone. So yeah, I took that thing into my bedroom and I just had a look, and he was still communicating with her, planning to catch up. He had promised me that he used to condom when they slept together, and they absolutely did not. I told him I wouldn't sleep with him if they hadn't used one, and he promised black and blue that they did. So I saw those messages too, So I ended up running into my backyard and grabbed him by the shirt and I said, I think it's time for you to leave, and I took him outside and I broke up with him. I was so done. I was I'd finally sort of broken free from it. I felt the best I had ever felt, actually, and the next three months were probably the best three months of my life. I was just so carefree, and you know, I had all these amazing people in my life and I didn't need anybody else. And yeah, I was having a really good time. And then he was messaging me like every other day. He apparently had quit smoking weed, and you know, he'd had a lot of time to think and he wants to be a better man, and you know, he was absolutely begging for me back.
Speaker 1: The tables that officially turned, and it made Cindy feel good.
Speaker 3: It felt like he finally.
Speaker 1: Got the message, and he'd been giving this so much time and effort to win her back, and she believed it when he said things would be different and better.
Speaker 2: My friends were not stoked about us getting back together, but they also just they would support me through anything. They've seen me being an idiot a bunch of times. The next two years were great. He was a different person. There were arguments we had where he actually calmed himself down and you know, tried a different approach, and it was incredible, And I put it down to I was like, oh, well, maybe it's just the weed. Maybe the weed makes him an asshole. And I feel like, in a way, it definitely did. But yeah, something had definitely changed where he was putting in a lot more effort, and he even went as far as to go to his friends and family and tell them that he had exaggerated a whole bunch of the things he said about me. His friends were being a lot nicer to me, So I believed that he had really changed and gone like the full mile to just make right for things that he had done and said. When we got back together. A condition of us getting back together was that he would get an STI test because he was sleeping with me and that girl unprotected. So I knew that I was clear, but I wanted him to go that extra mile and just do what he said he would do. It was like a respect thing that I just needed him to do, and he said he would do it, and he kept putting it off and putting it off, and by January twenty twenty four, I had quite a bad car accident. Cindy sustained some pretty serious injuries as a result, so Ted moved in, promising to help her around the house and support her through her recovery. When he moved in with me, I quickly found out that when we sleep in the same bed, I would sort of roll down into him, so I would sleep really tense, and I'd wake up in agony. I wouldn't be able to walk. So I was sleeping on the couch for nine months. I had a wonderful couch. This couch was great, like it really saved me after that accident. It was incredibly confident. It's just perfect for what I needed. So I was okay with that. But there was maybe about two handfuls worth the times that I actually slept in bed, and like I started waking up knowing that something had happened, but having no recollection of it. It just very much seemed like I had had sex. And I know that at that time, I sat very clear boundaries that that wouldn't be happening until he did the test. And there was probably about four or five mornings where I woke up and I just tell something was off, and I brushed it off each time, and then I woke up one morning and he was actively doing things to me. So when I woke up and he was penetrateding me while I was asleep, I sent him home to his parents for a couple of days because I needed some time to just process. So I sent him a message while he was at work one day and I basically was saying to him.
Speaker 3: This is bad.
Speaker 2: This is really bad, Like I don't think you're registering how bad this is. I don't feel safe in my own home, and I was saying, I'm struggling, I'm struggling. He basically said to me, well, the week before, when we woke up in the morning, I was doing the same thing and we had sex, and it didn't even click to me at that point. It took like two weeks for it to click that I didn't remember that, and I don't just have morning sex. I will always go shower, I'll always go brush my teeth. That's just what I do. I hate morning breath. I will always go brush my teeth. So that being his response, a couple of weeks later, I needed to talk to him about it again. I just needed to know how many times it had been happening, what like, had he been undressing me and then trusting me all these times that I woke up and I wasn't sure it was certain that something had happened, but I was. I could tell, like it's just made everything. So I was just in a complete state of confusion for so long. So we caught up again, and I asked him that morning that you said that we had sex the week before I woke up when you were doing that. Did I wake up and go brush my teeth? Did I get out of bed? Did I go brush my teeth? Did I shower? He said no, He said that I wasn't awake, and he knows that he knows my sleep disorder. He knows that you can't just, you know, shake my shoulder and expect that I'm awake. My eyes don't look awake, if they're open, if they even were open, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But he knows.
Speaker 2: We've been together at five years at that point, so he knows.
Speaker 3: It took a.
Speaker 2: While for me to realize the severity of it and how bad it actually is, because the whole time I'm battling in my head being like, well, we were in a relationship, we'd live together, Like maybe it's not that bad.
Speaker 1: While Cindy was grappling with the severity and complexity of what she discovered, she was also hit with the news that the house she lived in and loved was being sold. She had just two months to find somewhere new.
Speaker 2: I sort of didn't have a lot of time to think about it. I was house hunting because I had nowhere else to go. So my sister and I we decided that we would buy a house together. So I was looking for a house for us. So Ted and I were also planning to live together, but my sister and I would be purchasing the home and he would move in with us with me. So I was going to these home opens. It was getting very taxing. Ted was still just doing what he was always been doing, I knew music was his number one. So he had just started or joined a new band and was spending a lot of time at rehearsal and work, and yeah, it was just all happening at once. I didn't have a whole lot of time to process, and I was sort of dealing with it all alone, so we just sort of fell back together. But at the same time, when I had the home open for the house I was living in, Ted said he wanted to move his music equipment out because one of the bedrooms we turned into a studio for him. He wanted to move all the equipment out because he didn't want people to be walking through the house with his very expensive collection there. And I thought that was fair enough. Sure, I taken a lot of my expensive stuff out too, because I didn't want random people walking.
Speaker 3: Through the house.
Speaker 2: But he then sort of like moved all of this stuff out, which I hadn't really noticed, but I had asked him for whenever it is that, you know, it is the final week of having this home, I would really love a couple of days to myself because it was such a special place to me. So I had sort of asked if he would vacate before me. But this was about a month and a half before we had to move out, so I thought it was a little bit weird that he was getting a head start on that, and the fact he hadn't really spoke to me about it at all either. But at that point I was very much ready for the space because of everything that happened, with what happened while I was sleeping, I was quite keen on the idea of him not being there all the time, and I just figured we were sorted out a little bit later down the line when I've found somewhere else to live, because that had to be my priority. At that time, he was very much spending all of his time at his parents' house. Like he moved back to his parents' house. His family is very close knit. They were always doing a lot of fun things, and once he went back to that life, he just really didn't have any interest in spending time with me anymore. I think the heaviness of what had happened, in my opinion, it seemed like an easy way out. It seemed like an easy way for him to just drift away and that would be that. And I think I was okay with it at that time. Because, like I said, I just wanted some space. I wanted him just I wanted to sleep. I wanted to sleep and feel safe, and I wanted to spend those last moments with that house that brought me so much safety as a child, And so I wasn't even that bothered by it, but it, Yeah, it got to a point where he would start just very bluntly saying I'm going to bed, good night, and then just like I know he's sleeping habits. I know, you know, he sits and scroll like doom scrolls for a while on his phone.
Speaker 3: All that.
Speaker 2: But I'd instantly try to call him just because I'd want to say I love you, I want to say good night, and he wouldn't answer, And that, to me was very reminiscent of a time period where he was not being faithful to our relationship. So that's when I decided to break up with him. He didn't make it easy. He wanted to be explosive about it. I tried to stop it. I blocked him, I tried to push it away. I didn't want to.
Speaker 3: Deal with it.
Speaker 2: It got to a point where I asked for the keys back to my house and he refused. He said no, which was a bit surprising, but it just spiraled from there and it got to a point where I had to tell my parents what was going on because I I have a past with self harm and I was getting really triggered at that point, so I had to tell someone. So my parents says, stop messaging him, we will handle it. And my dad, who worked down near where his parents lived, gave him a text and said, hey, mate, I'm coming to get the keys. I'll see you at six, And basically Ted left two of the keys in the letterbox and kept the other two. I needed to know that I was safe in that house for the remainder of I think it was two weeks that I had left, and the next lines of communication just kept open because of those keys. It seemed a little calculated to me because he was aware of how I would respond or react to behavior like that. I don't handle it well. I can be quite reactive to stress, because to me, it felt like torture at that time, because it was just like, why can't you just give me the keys? Why can't I have the keys to my house? And all the while it's you know, there's still these jabs coming through in text form and name calling, and it was just sort of a recipe for absolute disaster. It got to a point where I had to tell him, please, please stop. You are triggering me and I am scared that I'm going to relapse. I need you to stop calling me names.
Speaker 3: Just stop. And he.
Speaker 2: Gave me a call. He called me, which I actually really appreciated, and he just said, hey, look, everything's going to be all right. Go to bed, go to sleep, we'll talk in the morning. And I know that he didn't mean like, oh, we will be okay, but I had taken from that that he meant we would be adults about this, we would make peace. I went to bed. I wake up the next morning, he once again has blocked me on everything, and that that really fucked me up because it was just so unnecessary, like you never had to say you would call if you didn't mean it, And to me, it was just all the more confusing because at that point I was thinking, Oh, we're just going to make peace. Maybe one day WI can smile across the room from each other at a show and remember some good times. I found a way to message, and that was through email, and he hadn't blocked me and I just said, why would you do that? That is completely evil and he said, don't contact me again. I'm calling a welfare check. Se Ya. And the police were at my door twenty minutes later on, and I cannot tell you how relieved I was to see them, because it was just like, it all felt like torture up to that point, so I just I was just relieved to see them. And they obviously sat me down and they asked, like, how do we get here?
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: And I just sort of gave them a brief rundown of everything that had happened the last few months, the house hunting, the sleeping incidents, a lot of all the stresses that we were going through. And they asked me, they said, you know, you don't have to, but we would like to take you to the hospital. And I said, yeah, of course, please, So I jumped in the car. So the police still took me to the hospital, which was fine on the way there. So about twenty minutes or so after I had given them that quick rundown, one of the police officers turned around in the car and they just said, hey, look, just to let you know, there's no statute of limitations when it comes to sexual abuse, So if you want to report it today, you can, or if you want to report it in ten years, you can. So I was just like, Okay, yeah, sure, and I went to a mental health evaluation unit. I sat there in a glassroom for maybe five or six hours, and I had a lot of time to think and having it validated by the police that it was sexual abuse because I hadn't that term hadn't entered my mind. That was a moment where I just decided to report what had happened, because just having that validation was very eye opening and it took me. But I sat there in that room for hours, and you know, I didn't even pick up my phone. I was just thinking and going over everything going over the last few months, for the last few years, and it seemed like that was the right thing to do because at that time I was feeling like the narrative was being completely flipped to make me look unstable, which I think is what the welfare check was for. I had all the specialists come in, They did what they had to do and answered all their questions, and basically they diagnosed it as an adjustment reaction or adjustment disorder, which is. It's a strong but temporary response to a stressful life event. There were times where I did question, am I okay? Am I bipolar am IVPD? Because this man keeps telling me I am and no, he was just a very normal reaction to the situations that I was in. But I'm really grateful that I went and did that because I got a lot out of it. He did me a favor in that sense. I made the report later that day once I was home and I'd had some time to just yeah, decompress a bit more in my own space, and I had a detective message me back I think two days later, and they were, you know, suggesting safety measures that should be taken, considering that he has house keys of mine and all these things to do, and it was getting quite real. I was getting quite overwhelmed with it all, all while thinking so deeply about what had happened while I was sleeping.
Speaker 1: It was a brave move, one that brought her both relief and a sense of release, But there was still one more thing Cindy needed to know to truly find closure.
Speaker 2: I sent him one more message and I just said, I just need to know how many times it happened and the way he responded is something that I personally feel like was the worst thing that happened in the five years. Words that he wrote to me in response to me just asking how many times it happened they almost completely destroyed me. And yeah, I don't know how I even got past that. He attacked every part of my beam. He made some real fucked up comments about my body, which just I remember laying in the shower, just on the floor, not knowing how the fuck I was gonna ever look at myself again, How would ever getting through it?
Speaker 3: How would ever loved myself?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I cried every day about it for like the next four months, and clearly I still cry when I think about it.
Speaker 3: It's horrible. It's just the worst person alive, all while.
Speaker 2: Telling me that I'm a low, worthless and undeserving of love. So I's been a couple hours, like on the floor in a bad place, and then I don't know what came over me, but I just went fuck it. If you're going to talk to me like that, I will show everyone how you talk to me. So I just posted screenshots of the emails on my Instagram, because if you're going to say it to me through email.
Speaker 3: Let everyone see I've got no shame.
Speaker 2: Under the encouragement of the police, because he had keys to my home, I was instructed to put a restrained in order against him, which I did, which he did not object to. So that's in place now for two years, so there will not be no more communication. And the Instagram thing, you know, not my finest moment, but it's like I was being berated through messages. I don't know. I don't know what else to tell you it they disappeared after.
Speaker 3: Twenty four hours. That's bur real.
Speaker 1: Despite everything she was going through, since he found the strength and determination to stay focused on what mattered most to her, the things that brought her genuine happiness even in the midst of turmoil, she held on to that clarity, using it as an anchor to keep moving forward.
Speaker 2: I bought a home, and it's a beautiful house. And it took quite a while for me to be able to even enjoy it and to be excited about it, because yeah, when I moved in, I couldn't even walk, so and my seven year old almost parents are like helping move my entire life into this house.
Speaker 3: And it was rough, it was really rough.
Speaker 2: But I again, have such incredible friends and they've been with me through every step of the way, and I'm just so so blessed to have them.
Speaker 3: They're the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it took a while, I think because of the comments he made and stuff. I did jump back out there and tried to find self worth from men and like whatever. It was fun for a little bit. It's not.
Speaker 3: Off that now.
Speaker 2: I'm just focusing on myself and working on myself. I was accepted into a specialist therapy program that you have to apply for because they have such a long wait list for the sexual assault. So that was also a lot more validation them hearing what had happened and seeing that I needed immediate care, and that's been really really helpful. I actually really love therapy. It's been a godsend.
Speaker 1: And as for the charges against Ted.
Speaker 2: What they do situations where something like that has occurred. They would usually wire you up so you can speak to that person so you can get a confession. I do have messages of him admitting it, but it probably wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Be enough in court.
Speaker 2: So I was basically told it can be really overwhelming and it might not go the way that would be best for me. And because at that time I was moving house. At that point, I wasn't capable of physically moving because my back and my legs had completely seized from all the stress. So I was dealing with a lot at the time. It's not canceled, it's just on the back burner. So if I want to reopen it at any time, I can. If I want to go through the processes that come along with it, I can. I just at that time, I wasn't feeling strong enough or I didn't have the capacity for it at that time. But I did hand everything over of what I did have to the sex crime Squad. I'm really excited for the future, and just I've got this beautiful home that I get to work on all the time, and I'm working a lot and still see my friends so much. And I feel like it never would have ended had it not come to the way that it did end.
Speaker 3: Because it's just it was so bad. It's so back.
Speaker 2: And forth for years, Like if it didn't blow up the way that it did, I don't know if it ever would have ended. So in a way, you know, I see that I'm definitely where I need to be now, and I don't need to ever again find my self worth through a man that's not it's not who I want to be anymore, and through means like therapy and just having the support of my loved ones. I'm going to be completely fine. I'm excited to just have this all behind me. I feel like this is my way of sort of closing that chapter, because that's.
Speaker 3: All it is at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: It's not my whole it's not my whole life.
Speaker 3: It's not my whole story. It's just a.
Speaker 2: Shitty part of it. It's very early days, but I have met someone pretty cool who doesn't It's like a long distance thing, so it's kind of cool having that space, which is nice. But Ted didn't kill my desire to find love and to love and to be loved and all that. He didn't take away my sexuality or anything.
Speaker 3: He you know.
Speaker 2: If anything, he's strengthened that. My self worth is a lot better. I trust myself a lot more now. I haven't yet gone down any bad paths or anything. So I'm really proud of myself for getting myself out of it. I've got a lot to look forward to and a lot of new people to meet, new memories, to be made.
Speaker 1: Everyone Has an Ex's a Minti Media production and proudly part of the MoMA Me Network. This interview was conducted and the episode narrated by me Georgia Love and written and produced by Linda Scott. If you have a story you'd like to share, email podcast at momamea dot com dot au. You can support us by following the show and your favorite podcast app and leaving a five star review. We'll see you for the next episode.