Speaker 1: So much. You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on from Mamma Mia. Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodnick and today I'm joined.
Speaker 1: By Ash London. Thank you for having me again. My love.
Speaker 2: So excited you hear, because we're talking about a topic very close to your heart, your broken heart, I should say, because I show that you love very much has recently, unexpectedly come to an end, and that has got us thinking about all the TV shows that we fell in love with that ended because they were canceled and on a cliffhanger. So we're going to get into that along with Weekend Watch. But first I understand that you have some important breaking news to share.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, one of the greatest things about the last couple of years is that eyebrows have come back into the forefront right. The bushy brow is back. We're not over plucking brow. Artists are now like superstar in their own right, and it's been a wonderful thing. I thought, though, we were done with the bleached eyebrow, Laura, I thought we were done. I thought we were past that. We had Kendall doing it, we had Julia Fox doing it in the past. But Lady Gaga, and this is very mid to late thirties of her. Because I do this as well, she's hopped on the bleached eyebrow train two years late. Have you seen the photos.
Speaker 2: I have seen the photos, and at first I was confused because I thought the same thing as you, that they were a throwback photo from over a year ago where the bleach brows had a moment, but that we quickly moved on from it. Thank god, she's bringing it back to It's almost like she's trying to be retro, but she's gone just a bit too soon.
Speaker 1: She needed at least another year or two to be retro technically ten years in this day and age will give her a year or two. I think she's showing her age, babe. Like I said, this is what I do. I watched the trend happen and I laugh at it, and then once it's over, I finally tried out and go, oh, I like this, yea exactly, this is just you know. And she is playing Harley Quinn in a film. Maybe it's something to do with that, just give it to her. For that reason. It's like it's a film thing.
Speaker 2: That movie is coming out, so we've seen some kind of leaked photos from the set. It's because it's a bit more of a dramatic take on Harley Quinn with Joaquin Phoenix. I don't think she'll be wearing the Margo Robbie outfit exactly. It'll be like a pared down version of that. But even so, for someone who's kind of known for like pushing the envelope with meat dresses and the crazy shoes she used to wear, so she was always like a little bit ahead of some of those, not even a head, just creating her own past. So it's a bit interesting now that she's gone that way. Must be something to do with the movie.
Speaker 1: Of course it is, And here we are talking about them, and she's got a new movie coming out, so maybe this is part of the with the great master plan? What can I do that hasn't been done? I've pretty much done everything. How about I just bleached my eyebrows and then it's working. So well done to you, gugs. So, as Laura mentioned, I am in morning at the moment. About two weeks into the morning period. And that is because my Lady Jane on Prime Video, which was a show I fell deeply in love with very quickly, has not been renewed, and it still doesn't make sense to me. I'm currently on my third watch of the show. Only Oh you're the third watch. Now I'm on the third way.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll do a second I hadn't thought about it. Yeah, did you love it? I did love it. Yeah. It took me while to get onto it because at first I thought like, oh, is it too much kind of historical drama, which is at my jam. But then when I kind of realized it had that romanticy fantasy element, I was like, sign me up. That is all I want to watch.
Speaker 1: Yes, And like sexual chemistry between those two characters like you.
Speaker 2: Which is make or breakthrough show, That's what I. Oh, that's all I care about.
Speaker 1: Like five minutes in after side, whether I want them to bang or not. I wanted them to bang. That wedding seed at the start. For those who haven't seen it, and this is not a spoiler because it happens in the first episode, she thinks she's marrying one guy, but it's actually his brother who she met last night. And had amazing sexual attension without a part, but doesn't realize that she's about to marry him the next day. And then at the freaking wedding, she gets to the end of the aisle and turns around, and You're like, and it's such a slow burn. It's so funny. If you like The Princess Bride, if you like The Great even if if you like bridgeton any of those films it references, it's so similar. I mean, I could just spend this whole episode just talking about talking about how much I love this show. But Prima said it's low viewership is the reason it got canned. I don't know what the real reason is. It can't be that, because I feel like this thing is just finding more fans daily.
Speaker 2: And I feel like the fandom has been so kind of broken hearted and talking about so much because they felt like it was canceled at a moment where it was kind of felt like it was supposed to kick into season two. Some shows feel one and done, whereas this did feel like it should have gone.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just a cliffhanger for like the main two love interests. Literally every character in this show's plot line ended on a cliffhanger and the fact that there are books and apparently the book's actually quite hard to find now because I think they only have a small run, and now all the fans of My Lady Jenna desperately on Amazon trying to get the I need to know what happened. But yes, it does really get open a wider conversation of shows that were canceled before their time at the Pinnacle at the point where we needed more. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that over the year's Babe, we have been robbed.
Speaker 2: So many times. Yes, so many times. So many of my favorite shows, even things like Veronica Mars, which is one of my favorite shows, got canceled. I think it's when you know they got canceled without the writer's knowing, so obviously that came back cross series afterwards. Even shows like gial More Girls, people don't realize got canceled just because they put a safety net last episode in there. People don't realize that they got canceled in terms of canceled, like when they filmed that last episode, the writers and cars didn't know was the last episode. So it's like, would you have ended it like this, I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Before I get into a couple of my favorites that were canceled, FYI, the following shows have been canceled, some at a good time, some perhaps prematurely. Yellowstone, we know that there's been some drama. Kevin Costner The Good Doctor, which has had twenty five seasons. Love that show after fourteen seasons. Blue Bloods is done with Tom Selleck, old Man, Young Sheldon, don't care. Did you ever see The Flight Attendant with Kaylee Koko?
Speaker 2: Yes? I watched the first season and it freaked me out a lot. I mean, even though I'm like I've never I'm like, I've never actually committed murder and covered it up, but I'm feeling quite tense that this could happen to me.
Speaker 1: You feel like that might happen to you, then you'll be stuck in a fine, very stressful Yeah, that's done, and kurb your enthusiasm finished. But if we're talking about ones before their time, and I don't know if you were across this show because it was a very long time ago. I want to hark back to nineteen ninety four, when Claire Danes and Jared Leto started a show called My So called Life. Do you have any memories of this show?
Speaker 2: But I didn't watch it then, but I've watched it. I think I found it like later on as like an elder teen and watched it back then and became obsessed with it like everyone else and so heartbroken that it was just there was the one season right.
Speaker 1: One season, one season so good, and it was like addressing topics that like teen shows were not talking about back then.
Speaker 2: My most toxic trait is that, even though I know how wildly problematic that man is, I find him even now, even now, Ash, I find him wildly hot.
Speaker 1: How can you not if we just got from a fable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even at the Mecca when he dresses a cat and he pulled the cat head off, and like, you know what, he's still hot.
Speaker 1: I don't make that wall still have sex with him. And he was a teenager in this show, and just the cheek, bones, the eyes, the skin, just absolutely stunning. I've got some audio here of Claire Danes years later, and she's next to I can't remember the actor's name. He is the guy that plays Sheldon in the NERD show Jim Something.
Speaker 2: Right that Jim Parsons. Do you mean from the Big Bang Theory. Yes, I'm not saying I'm a fan, but I know his name.
Speaker 1: Don't lie, no judgment. This is Claard End's talking about the show, the cancelation and a reboot.
Speaker 2: And I think it was maybe just a little too ahead of its time.
Speaker 1: Like Jim and his prophecies. Yeah, exactly. TV was so different. I mean it was well, I think it was kind of radical to be to have, you know, to be inside a teenage girl's brain like that, you know. Yeah, and now there's so many platforms that that could survive even if only ten people watched it for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a very different environment. I don't know. I'm still very dear friends with Winnie Holds from the creator and actually many people involved with the show.
Speaker 1: So but I don't know, I probably not, but.
Speaker 2: I'm so grateful that it's had this this afterlife that it's had. Is it her voice so specific, like, yeah, I wouldn't know that voice anywhere, right, It's so true.
Speaker 1: And Brom and Julie it happened, like, you know, a year off of the show, and it was a Mova clutter and she wasn't going back, but yeah, it was ahead of its time. If you're listening and you've never seen the show, you can get some episodes on YouTube. I'm sure there's an official way.
Speaker 2: I feel like the whole series might be on Disney. Plus I feel like I'm going to watch. Yeah. I just think so telling that it's decades and we're still talking about that show, like that show still comes up in conversation all the time.
Speaker 1: And it was one one seasons an unbelievable scenes.
Speaker 2: We'll speaking of other things out a one season. I'm not saying this is the best show in the world, but out of all the shows that got canceled on a cliffhanger, this is the one that keeps me up at night the most because I was like, I just want to know. I don't even care if you make the whole show, just tell me what the twist was. And that was The Society on Netflix. I don't know if you ever watched that one. So it came out in twenty nineteen. So it's Catherine Newton, who is probably hard to book now that she's in the Marvel movies, but she was the star over then. But it was a big, big, ensemble cast of teams, and the idea was that they all went on this field trip. They live in a small little town in America, they go on a field trip, they come back late at night, and the whole town is empty. Everyone is gone, And then they can't leave the town, and so they have to kind of.
Speaker 1: Why can't they leave the town? Well, we don't know, Ash, we.
Speaker 2: Don't know, and we're never gonna know.
Speaker 1: What now annoyed. I didn't watch a second of it, and I'm angry about the canes, thank you.
Speaker 2: So then all of a sudden they can't leave this town to make their own society, and it gets like quite a little bit Lord of the Flies, where they're trying to set their own rules, but of course the rules of corruptora all the sort of stuff some them fall in love. There's for people who are abusing people. It's a whole thing. But there's this whole mystery of what happened to them, and it builds and builds and builds till the last episode where it flashes back to the real world and there's all these pictures of them up because they've gone missing in the real world. So it's like, where are they always that a twist. So it finished and it had super higher ratings. It was one of the victims of the writer's strike and all that sort of stuff that happened at the time. But the thing is, they had announced season two, they had confirmed it was happening, all the cast had signed on, and then they completely canceled it and there's no way they can bring it back now. And the hard thing is that, like a lot of shows that get canceled ahead of their time, sometimes the writers can give you an idea of what the twist was going to be. All they're based on books, so at least you can go to the No, there's no book, there's no nothing. And so now I will just live out the rest of my days on this earth not knowing the plot twist that I was so invested in.
Speaker 1: No, they can't do that to you.
Speaker 2: It was like some sort of a pied piper situation. I think they were alluding to that the adults in town had done something bad and so something had happened and the children were taken or were the townspeople dead and the children are left in the world, like it's hard to kind of know, but there was something there, But It's not going to be like a Lost or something where they kind of just they're like, oh, we didn't plan to run this long. We have no idea what we were building too, so we're just going to throw this out there like it was going to be some sort of big reveal and now we'll just never know.
Speaker 1: You deserve a one page at least, just like exactly, please release. Maybe the writers will do a novel or something. That's what we need in this day and age. They can't be behaving like that. We deserve more. We're the one signing up and paying twelve dollars a month to have four hundred streaming services on our television. Yes, we deserve to know what's happened the end.
Speaker 2: We're coming up next more dramatic scenes around our favorite shows that have been canceled and we can watch, so stick around for that. So when I was asking a bunch of people in the office and in my group chat about shows that had been canceled before their time on a cliffhanger, one title came up more than any other. And this has made me angry too, because once again, I just want to know what happened, and that is Santa Clarita diet.
Speaker 1: I forgot all about this because I watched it, and then I think I must have been waiting for the next season, and then I got caught up with other things, then forgot i'd ever watched it. Now I'm angry.
Speaker 2: You'll be waiting a long time because it did get canceled. So that show it kicked off in twenty seventeen. It went for three seasons before I got canceled. And if you don't know the name of the show, you probably know best as the Drew Barrymore zombie show.
Speaker 1: Zombie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, because that was a whole thing. She'd obviously be known for rom comms and things for many years, and then she went into TV and that was a big deal. But the fact that she went into TV as a woman, like a suburban mum, you know, who's supposed to be like very normal, even though she looks like Drew Barrymore so, who she doesn't look normal exactly becomes a zombie and to kind of stay a normal person, she has to eat human flesh. It's all about her and her cot husband and stuff, trying to yeah.
Speaker 1: Look at him. After this, I remember about this.
Speaker 2: Little suburban family trying to keep their life normal, keep her condition a secret, while also making sure that she has a steady stream of human flesh and blood to eat. And the last moments.
Speaker 1: Of the stream of human flesh.
Speaker 2: We've all got to deal with. So it got canceled on the cliff he me because don't I remember these odor you haven't watched it. Not a spoiler, but in the last episode, a zombie spider crawled inside her husband's ear, and so to save his life. Yeah again, could happen to anyone. In order to save his life, she bit him, which means that he would have become a zombie or something would have happened him in the next series. And so everyone's like, yes, I'm so pumped for this, and then Netflix, once again the culprits here canceled it.
Speaker 1: But she's been fine ever since though, I mean she since launched her awkwardly close talk show.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh she's fine, it's us She's fine.
Speaker 1: I know this is kind of off topic, but it's something that occurred to me this week. As you know, I'm obsessed with rom coms. Yeah, it occurred to me this week that we think of Drew Barrymore. As you know, a very famous actress, and perhaps now more for her talk show. I mean, it's a huge call for me to make Babe, I think Drew barrymore of any actress if we're talking rom coms. She's the queen of the rom com And it's weird that we don't automatically think Drew Barrymore when we think great rom comms. But if you think about it, like the wedding singer ever After, Perfect Catch, Never Been Kissed, the one where music and lyrics with human like love that movie, I know it's completely relevant to we're talking about what it needs to know. She has done so much, which again is another reason why it's like good honor for doing three seasons of a zombie show, a show in any case when you're a huge actress, and then yeah, TV show is like huge, But then to do it about zombies, it's a lot and good on it, Yeah, Drew, And I'm gonna I just but the talk show, the close talking and the touching of faces and arms, it's a very hard to watch.
Speaker 2: You're so right that there's been like a bit of a raisure of her in the rom com stakes. For people always say in Rasia, yes, always say, Kate Hudson, Meg Ryan, Sandra Bullock, all the people, and like Drew Barrymore is up there also again off topics, she should have got an Oscar nomination at least for writing in Cars with Boys. That's all same, let's all say on the matter. But yeah, so a lot I've moved into a whole Drew Barrymore episode, which I would do. But yes, Santa Clarita diet on the list of shows that were canceled before our time. And the thing about these cancelations is there's so many things that come into my think of what you're saying before about like audience, viewership, writers, strikes, availability, all those kind of things, but they are just become such a moment in time where if you can't get it to work in that moment, it's gone forever. And I don't know if it takes away from the show, but it does make me hesitance sometimes to watch a show that I know got canceled before the end, of course, but I still think if anyone hasn't watched My Lady Jane, they should, Well, we know what you think.
Speaker 1: We're about to do weekend Watch, And I just want to say before we do that my weekend what will be it will also be a now that a third viewing of My Lady Jane hashtag no regrets. Emily Bata, who plays the main chick in it, is being cast in. Emily Henry, who is it huge rom comust People with Me on Vacation is the first of her books. It's going to be made into a film. So maybe there was some scheduling conflicts. Because you know, none of the cars see that bumm that the show got canceled. I feel like maybe they all have other.
Speaker 2: Shit today, have got other stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Edward Bloomer is just kind of getting started. So I feel like we will get more from the actors. We just won't get more from these characters unless by some miracle, Prime listens to me personally and gives us more. Then thank you very much. Please watch My Lady Jane. Go to my Instagram. I've got the link to the petition.
Speaker 2: Did you start the petition?
Speaker 1: No? I don't know that crazy, but all of them, multiple multiple petitions. I've never signed a petition in my life.
Speaker 2: First time, Oh god.
Speaker 1: A loser the weekend watch so if we can watch this weekend. I love a teen high school film ever since the day of like sixteen Candles or I'll watch them all ten things I Hate about You, And I'm really happy that in the last couple of years, Laura, we seem to be getting them again. The young adult films are coming back, And even as a woman in her late thirties, I still I just love the comfort of the high school fielm with all like the nerds and the jocks and the skanky girl. Can I say skanky girl? Even though it's an empowered thing now? Like I would love to be one of the skanky girls. This week on Netflix already number two in movies. It's called Incoming, and it's all about kind of like the younger guys that have gone through puberty and they're now in high school, from middle school to high school, which, of course in the USA is a been kind of coming of age. What's that bell rings were in high school? You know what that means?
Speaker 2: Anything is possible.
Speaker 1: She's a half more minute. It's never gonna happen. She hasn't met the new meek. I don't want to dance around anymore. For a second there, I thought you might have been fucking the door. Can you leave parents are going to town this weekend. My brother's still on a massive region. Wow, you clicks, I'm a three plus one. I'm out. I think I'm not too mad.
Speaker 2: We're the only freshmen invited.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm gonna move on, Bailey. You're going to earn your brother's respect, You're going to stop being scared, and you're gonna lose that shitty nickname. What a vetus evers?
Speaker 2: Fuck?
Speaker 1: It looks like one of those kind of young adult films that's actually got something in it for older audiences, like a couple of the kind of jokes that make us laugh, and it's smart. I'll be watching it. It's only ninety minute watch, which is I mean for a busy gal like, I mean, how much do we love a ninety minute film?
Speaker 2: We just have to get out.
Speaker 1: It's not going to change your life. You're not going to be thinking about it the second those credits role you've moved on. But for that ninety minutes, it was a comforting watch. So incoming on Netflix, what about you back?
Speaker 2: Kay?
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you've got a nice team offering because mine's a bit more of a horror gory. Keep you up at night kind of thing. And you're not a horror fan.
Speaker 1: Never seen a horror film in my whole life.
Speaker 2: Just ever seen one. You might love them, absolutely not. Okay, I'm telling the m this.
Speaker 1: Last week, I went to the drive in to see The Ring. I don't know if you remember that horror film. Yeah, but that's a really terrifying movie. No. I lasted six minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not for you. I would start you off from something like maybe like a sexy horror or something like it.
Speaker 1: I'm into the sexy. Yeah, but my imagination is too strong. And I also live in the middle of nowhere on seven Acres where there's like pitch black, it's very quiet.
Speaker 2: That's terrifying.
Speaker 1: It's a no for me. But continue, please help me about Well, it's offering that I will not be watching.
Speaker 2: Well, what's even creepy about this new movie. It's called The Deliverance and it's coming out on Netflix today. It is based on a true story, which I feel like you have to almost do now to kind of get the hype up around it. So, but this particular true story, Yeah, I feel like maybe you shouldn't listen to this, this particular true story goes back to twenty eleven where a woman called LaToya Amens and her mother and her three children moved into this new house and this little town in Indiana. Now, as horror movies have taught us, moving into a new house in a tiny town will only end in it being haunted.
Speaker 1: Course, especially if you got it at a good price and you don't know why you got it so cheap. Everyone else in the neighborhood's like, we know, we.
Speaker 2: Haven't gotten to the movie yet. This is the real life story that was reported in the newspapers. So they moved into the house and they started experiencing weird things, like swarms of flies would attack the kids. There were like bootmarks on the floor after they'd gone to bed someone had been walking through. There were strange sounds. But then things get kicked up a notch because the family all reported to the police at the time, and they had like doctors and stuff come in that they had been possessed, and there were reports of like the youngest boy like rolling his eyes back in his head and screaming, you're all going to die, and he would then like walk backwards up the wall. The classic horror movie things. All of these different things, like the mum would attack her kids. There was all this craziness and it all got reported in a story that was in the Indianapolis Star, which was the local newspaper, and it then went kind of global and people were calling it the demon House and it became this thing. But there were also allegations at the time that the mum was quite behind on her rent and that she was making her children and pretend to act possessed and child services and stuff a colls so she wouldn't have to pay her rent.
Speaker 1: Nice of course hard to say.
Speaker 2: But then there were also photographers who went and took pictures of the house late night and there were shadowy figures. It became this whole thing of like is the house haunted and there was like a documentary made about it? Or is this the biggest proof that this supernatural things do exist? So that all happened, that was a cute time. And now one Lee Daniels as in Lee Daniels, who is known for Precious which he has got multiple Oscar nominations, The Butler multiple Oscar nominations, has turned this into a new movie that's out on Netflix, and the cast is pretty stacked. So it's Andrew Day who plays the mum, but you've also got Omar Epps, Monique who obviously wanted an oscar for Precious, and the amazing actress, and also Glenn Close just in there for good measure.
Speaker 1: Remember, before we get started, whatever it says to you, do not listen to it. It will play on your heart, it will play on your mind. Father, we asked that you Quinson sanctify us for this deliverance evidence get back.
Speaker 2: It tells us kind of these real life stories of like this family that move into this house. But it does really show you a lot of very not graphic, but very intense, like possession scenes, haunting scenes. So if you like horror movies and you want to see this new offering it's quite atmospheric and interesting, then you'll like it. But if you don't like horror movies, then maybe steer clear.
Speaker 1: What defind scarier murdery killer horror movies or supernatural?
Speaker 2: Supernatural? For me, which is wild because also I live alone, I should be worried about you know, slashes or killers. But for some reason, the only horror movies that really freak me out have a supernatural element. This isn't the scariest movie I've seen by a long shot. So if you're a horror buffer, you'll be like, oh, this is fine, But like it was, something about Possession is quite terrifying.
Speaker 1: What is the scariest movie you've ever seen?
Speaker 2: It follows, which is such a simple premise. It's such a simple movie and I watch it as an adult. It's just about this entity that once you sleep with someone who has it, this entity will just follow you, slowly, walking behind you until you die. It is the most simple movie and not even the most graphic, but just something about it terrified me that I couldn't walk outside as an adult. I couldn't walk outside in the daylight for days on end. I still can't. It's so freaky. So okay, want to miss on your list. So that's our weekend watching this week a coming of age teen movie and a movie of possession, both on Netflix. Well, thank you so much for listening to the spill today and thanks for joining us the last two days. Ash tell people where they can find you if they want to sign this petition at.
Speaker 1: Ash Underscore London. On Instagram and look, most of my Instagram stories every day are generally somehow retaining to the cancelationship of my Lady Jane. So yeah, thoughts and prayers appreciated it.
Speaker 2: Keep fighting the good fight, thanks Bob. And also we would love to hear from you about what you like about the show and what you'd like us to talk about, and the best way to do that is to dm us on our instagram which is the Spill Podcast on Instagram, and we'll see you on mamama dot com dot au and back here on your podcast feed at three pm on Monday. Bye so ye Hellan