Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Mamma Mia out loud.
Speaker 2: It's what women are actually talking about on Monday, the twentieth of July.
Speaker 3: I'm Pollywayen, Rightnham.
Speaker 2: I'm Amelia Lester, and here's what's on our agenda for today. There was only really one place to be this morning, and it wasn't here in the studio with us, which is unfortunate. It was watching the football with Madonna and Trump. And depending on who's where you were sitting and who with you, either had a great time or a cringey time.
Speaker 1: We'll be talking you through everyone who is there hair not wait.
Speaker 3: Plus a theory that human interaction is fading due to a device that's actually not a.
Speaker 4: Smart fooh, and an Australian parental leave policy is making some people very happy and some people very angry.
Speaker 3: But first, Emily Vernon, in case you missed it, it's the season of celebrity wedding.
Speaker 2: It really is, isn't it. I guess it's because it's the northern summer. Oh and so so you know, normally the northern summer isn't that hot, although in recent years climate change has put paid to that. So more summer weddings than the Spring wedding.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Well, Melsey, also known as Sporty Spies, recently got married over the weekend to one of us and Australi. His name is Chris Dingwall and he is an Australian model. They got married, I think in an intimate it's been reported has been an intimate wedding in England. All the Spice girls were there except Vicki b but she did make the gap.
Speaker 4: Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: I congratulations, congratulations Sporty. I do not want to rain on your beautiful parade. It looked amazing. I'm so happy for you. This is the first time she got married. Yeah, yeah, which is impressive. I guess is it?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'll stop talking, but I won't stop talking because I questioned the vickib exclusion.
Speaker 1: Because she was at the football.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the reason she wasn't there is she's in New York. She was at the final today with the rest of the Beckham family. But she doesn't know to be there.
Speaker 4: She does though, because because England weren't in it, they weren't in it. But we learned last week, and we talked about on the podcast last week that David Beckham had a very prominent role this year's World Cup. It's all part of a partnership with FIFA. He is what's known as a vvi IP, very very important person and it's estimated that he's going to make upwards of thirty million dollars from the brand exposure that he got at the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Because not everybody loves FIFA, as we'll get to a little bit later, and so it's good to happen. So do you think it was in his contract Posh be there?
Speaker 4: Of course? Well, even if not in his contract, I think that the way he sells stuff is by being David Beckham inc Like married to Posh looking handsome in a suit at the soccer game. Like, that's all part of how he sells things.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in that case, this was a scheduling error on Melsey's part.
Speaker 4: And I think Melsey gets it like she gets it. VICKI designed a beautiful dress for her. I thought it was really lovely.
Speaker 3: I just hope she got to FaceTime in while she was watching the game, going, I really don't want to be here. I wish I could be.
Speaker 2: Well, it was on Saturday, right, which was the day that England did play that amazing like third place game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what.
Speaker 2: This isn't a sports show, but anyway, so she may have been busy. My other question is they got married on Saturday in England today, which is Monday our time. Photos are all in vogue.
Speaker 3: She did what the girls needed, That's what I mean release of photos.
Speaker 2: There is a certain other celebrity whose wedding pictures are still somewhere lost between the camera shop and there right going on.
Speaker 3: I feel like if Taylor Swift does release her photos, I'm going to be angry.
Speaker 4: Well, we do have to mention that Maddy Healy, her ex, got married over the weekend as well.
Speaker 3: Aberanti shots. So far, no release of photos.
Speaker 4: Right, but quite clear paparazzi shot. It's not that we can join that on this show, and not that I even looked at them. The wedding was, I am told in Los Angeles in front of the Hollywood Sign, so very West Coast glam of the very interesting counterpoint to the East Coast of Taylor's wedding.
Speaker 2: Honestly, no one of these people paid enough attention to the football fixtures, like if England had made it to the final, Maddi, heally would have had to call his wedding off like that.
Speaker 1: Is what would have happened.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'll try and stop mentioning they took hers. We're happy for Melver she was in here last year. The office lost his mind when Melsei was in Sydney last year filming the Voice. She came in and did an interview for No Filter. And I have never seen so many of my cool millennial colleagues losing their fricking mind.
Speaker 4: She was the coolest spice girl. I'm saying it. She was the coolest spice girl on icon Is.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't know, No, I'm kidding the girls girls. And it was a big deal because Stacy asked our producer Grace if she could be the one to bring Melseie a glass.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. She's like running the website, but she's like.
Speaker 2: Hold on a minute, I just need to be the person who carries a glass of water into the studio.
Speaker 1: And she did it perfectly.
Speaker 4: The Australian fashion brand did is giving staff with children under twelve and extra two weeks of paid parental leave per year. This was just announced last week. Hurrah, the female Vana company says the policy is designed to support working parents if they're managing school pickup, sickness, important school events, and it's also and I thought this was interesting to help close the financial gap facing women in the workforce. Dish wrote that they are arguing ambition and motherhood are not opposing paths. This has been a very polarizing move. I think it's safe to say. I was reading comments on a Reddit forum for the child free and people. Here are just some samples of what people were saying from there. They describe it as a parental supremacy mindset. This is a direct quote. Why don't child free people get the same extra time off to spend time on what we enjoy? Someone described it as workplace discrimination. Someone else said I'd start talking about my imaginary children who happen to be my cats.
Speaker 1: Oh, such a good idea, and I think there.
Speaker 4: Are some Look, I'm really happy that Dish is doing this, but I think that it is possible to see some of these arguments as valid. And I wanted to first throw to you Am to see what you, as a child free person, thinks of this.
Speaker 3: I want my two weeks as well. If parents are getting two weeks. If mums are getting two weeks and it's not just it's not parental leave, it's annually no.
Speaker 2: But it is parental leave like as in the way that this is framed in the parental.
Speaker 3: Leave, but it's taking place within twelve years, so they get two extra weeks of leave until their child is twelve years old.
Speaker 4: On top of dishes four weeks of annually.
Speaker 3: So for me, that comes into the annual leave area where I get less annual leave than women who have children. And I think that this is just going to make a huge divide in workplaces between women who have children and women who don't, especially coworkers who have the same job, who are doing the same amount of work, who have the same salary. It is discrimination if one of them is getting extra leaved.
Speaker 1: And the other.
Speaker 4: So you were quite annoyed by I was annoyed.
Speaker 2: So you mean it will create division in workplaces if this became a more common thing, Because a lot of people who are in the parental leave space are really celebrating this. They're saying this is people need to realize that parenthood, like making parenthood and work compatible, is much more than just giving you a few weeks pay when you have a baby, right, And I think that's why this is being celebrated by those who see that. I would personally very much celebrate it because I think that that is absolutely true.
Speaker 3: The thing is, there's.
Speaker 2: No such thing as a perfect way to do this, but your everything changes about your life when you have a kid, right, and you whether your kid is a newborn or whether your kid is eight and at school, the demands on your time are different, right, recognizing that and trying to make little headway into how to basically keep hold of your workforce, because that's what this is about.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Some bosses will say this is an unattainable standard for most businesses to be able to pay for an extra two weeks leave for their workforce. But Dish is a small ish, female run, female founded business. Ninety four percent of their staff are women, so they know what they're doing and the reason they're doing this is to stop the attrition that you inevitably get when people have kids, maybe then have another kid, think that they can come back to work and all is dandy, but actually it is exhausting and impossible, and then you put school holidays into the mix and people quit and they go part time, or they work for themselves, or they go and get a job that's more flexible, or all those things. This is a smart move for businesses who recognize they've got a lot of parents on their books and they want to keep hold of them because they've invested a lot of time in training them having them in the business. The other thing about that, of course, is that you only ever see the world through your lens in a way. So I would see those parents leaving early in my estimation, but I don't know whether they would get back online later. I wasn't in a position of management then in that way to get back online later or whatever. And I know that at different times in my life since I've been a parent, having the flexibility to be able to do that is much more important than lots of other stuff. And parents are often working weird hours, early in the morning, late at night, different things in order to try and make all these competing priorities merge.
Speaker 3: But it's the same in the sense where they're getting extra leave over a personal choice. And I completely agree. I think parents need more leave to look after kids, but I think you can't just give it to one group of people and not the rest of your company. I've been a huge advocate for menstrual leave. That's something that happens to women that we don't have a choice, and it's happening to us.
Speaker 2: And to be clear on this particular issue for this particular business, we don't know if that is a thing.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about this generally like.
Speaker 3: This is being and a law. Then I think there are so many ways you can give women leave for things that are completely out of their control. But I think when you do it over a choice that they're making and one group don't get that choice, it's just going to create conflict in the workplace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hear you on the conflict point. I think one sort of very zoomed out perspective on this. We've talked a lot on this show about the fertility crisis and about how young people are choosing not to have children, and the people who are very worried about that are politicians. And the reason why politicians are worried about it is because children aren't just children. Children are also future tax payers who then fund Medicare, they help fund the age pension, they help fund the roads and the schools and all the other things that we depend upon as a society. So if not enough people have children, there aren't enough taxes, society falls apart. So I hear you on the choice idea. But the problem is this is a choice that ultimately benefits everyone in Australian society, and the fact that some people are putting up their hand to do it and to throw themselves into that work of raising good, productive members of society is worth recognizing and trying to make it easier for them. It's not a choice to get a manicure.
Speaker 2: It's also interesting because I think, and I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but there was a time in my career when my kids were a little ware this is what I negotiated. So at the time when it was pay increased time like negot you know, yearly review and all those things, I said, I know this sounds weird, but I'm just kind of illustrating how important time becomes. I was like, I would much rather have another week's leave than a pay rise, Like time had become much more important to me at that particular moment than the incremental pay rise I was going to get. Now, that obviously is something that everybody can or should do. And you know, money and the ability to feed your family is at the top of the tree, but time becomes such a different resource when you're trying to juggle work and family. And so I get it that you could be that anyone else someone who isn't doing that, although I would and I know this is also an annoying and inflammatory thing to say, I would probably say, isn't doing that? Yet I think that you don't really see that value in the same way.
Speaker 3: But I could use time to do things you could, and I think a lot of women could use it. I think there are also women who want to be parents and can't be parents, and there are also women who are caring for their parents, And I think it's yeah, I obviously there's like fine print to this that we can't really dissect. It will be different for everyone, but I think there are those like kind of little areas that will will make people like me just be really angry at the situation, because there are so many different situations where time is valuable and it's not always taking care of kids.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I entirely respect that. Of course, we don't know what the rest of the careers leave situation is like. So that's the fairest way to do that is to make there be a bucket of care as leave, and you use it for whatever caring you need. What is interesting is in the reporting about Dish's decision to do this again. They are one small small business. They say that actually it's no surprise that since they've implemented it there's been one hundred and forty percent boost in job applications.
Speaker 1: It's smart business.
Speaker 2: It's smart business because even though and I hope that I'm always very mindful of the idea that, of course not every woman wants to be a mother, and of course not everybody should follow that path, but the reality is it still is the path that most women follow. So when they're coming to that time in their life, this becomes incredibly important.
Speaker 3: I know what you mean about the division.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the answer is about that, except to make sure that there are maybe you're flexible about other kinds of negotiations only.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also feel like if this became a thing, like, let's say, in the future, this becomes a great incentive for the government to implement to get that baby boost. It could also have the opposite effect, where companies do have a bias against women with children and won't hire them because I know they'll end up paying more for the parental aide.
Speaker 2: That's often business owners argument about pushing too hard on generous parental leave programs is that it will backfire on women and that it makes it it can make it less appealing to have a female heavy workforce.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that in the articles around this, I was surprised to learn that one third of Australian companies do not have any kind of paid parental leave program even still, so it's clearly something that companies are continuing to grapple with as they think about their bottom lines as well.
Speaker 2: After the break at the football with Madonna discuss so the World Cup finish today, I'm sure there's a portion of out louders who will be like, thank God for that, because I keep hearing them talk about it. It's everywhere I look on the internet. I'm done with it. How do you feel about the World Cup finishing?
Speaker 3: Him? My walk to work was very difficult because they had a big viewing station up in Darling Harbor and I have to walk through Darling Harbor to get to work, and I got here late and it was a football as well.
Speaker 2: Because this morning, for context, it was the World Cup final, so the last game. The World Cup has been going on for I think six weeks. It's a long time. It goes on a long time. Obviously, I like it because I like football. I know Amelia's been enjoying it. We've been discussing it every morning. But what everyone's discussing today is not so much the football or though Spain one and some people like myself are pretty happy about that, but all the celebrity sparkle and spangle that went alongside it today because the World Cup was in America, it was in America, and Canada and Mexico they like co host it. But the finale was in New York and so every famous person new sorry it was in New Jersey. Every famous person went. It was like Taylor Swifts wedding all over again, all like the nixt game. And I tried to do, Yes, what they tried to do because this was an American World Cup is they tried to make it more small American because the halftime show is not a thing in football, right football? And when I say football, I mean soccer, but I mean football. It isn't a thing. The halftime in soccer is fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Top, that's it.
Speaker 2: Fifteen minutes, tight little circle, that's it right. Not today it wasn't It was twenty seven minutes because Madonna had to come on in a car, singing music car. It looked like she started in a basement, but she got out onto the pitch.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 1: She was supported by.
Speaker 2: Driving the car was Ronaldinho, who's like a really famous footballer who's quite past his prime, and he's just there like beast by driving Madonna.
Speaker 1: Then BTS came on and sang, oh they were so good.
Speaker 2: Then at Ted Lasso brought Justin Bieber on as a sobacas.
Speaker 4: Is having a big summer because he went to Taylor's wedding.
Speaker 2: He did, and so he they did this little thing him and his mate were they And I love Teddler so as you know, but I thought this was a bit cringe.
Speaker 3: And they held up a.
Speaker 2: Big like blabe JB suck. And then Justin Bieber came on with his guitar and in Hallelujah.
Speaker 1: That was kind of lovely.
Speaker 3: It was was very slow, but then and.
Speaker 2: Then Shakira came on, I'm going to have Shakira, and then just as I was getting really cynical, it all fell in a puddle because when Chris Martin came on and sang with this big choir of school kids, and then all the other celebrities came on at New Jersey kids, it was actually New York, New York's God, look I keep getting the New.
Speaker 4: York school island.
Speaker 3: That's right. It was actually quite touching.
Speaker 4: It was that Chris Martin.
Speaker 2: He always knows how to tug at your heartstrings, so that was all very fabulous. In the crowd, we had Chalameaie who never misses a sporting occasion, to canoodle with his missus.
Speaker 1: Tom Cruise spoke before it.
Speaker 4: Why was he there?
Speaker 2: Robbie Williams sang, Jennifer Hudson did the national national anthem. Matt Damon and Luciana Barrosso his wife, were there in the audience. Jay Z and Beyonce were there.
Speaker 4: Lad Lively Girls squad. Who's in her new Girl We don't know, but she's going everywhere with three other women.
Speaker 2: Sarah, Jessica Parker, Jua Lipa. All the famous people were there, but Amelia. What happened when Trump tried to borrow some of this sparkle from the biggest sporting event in the world, because let's remember, billions and billions of people watch the World Cup Final. There is some great viral content going on of like street interviews with Americans saying, what do you think the difference in viewership is between the Super Bowl and the World Cup Final? And they're all like, I don't know, twenty five thousand and no, like twenty five billion. I'm exaggerating anyway.
Speaker 3: So Trump tried to borrow a bit of the sparkle.
Speaker 4: Well, just like, let's remember that the only thing Trump has said about this glorious international sporting event happening on his home turf the entire time has been to attempt and then get a red card rescinded from a teen USA player.
Speaker 3: So after admitting that he didn't know how the game worked a happening.
Speaker 4: He's not exactly been throwing himself into the fandom thing here. So then he turns out a greater final. He's a great athlete, he turns up for the and he walks onto the pitch after the game with FIFA President Gianni Fantino.
Speaker 1: Who is not a very popular guy in the football in world just saying.
Speaker 4: No, and Holly has written in the notes and the crowd couldn't decide who to boom more loudly. And that is.
Speaker 2: It's true because fun I mean, I don't want to get to inside football. But Fantino is a bit unpopular because he's very into the money grabbing element of the World Cup. So they've had dynamic pricing that's meant tickets been going for thousands and thousands of dollars. He's expanded the program to have more teams, which some people actually argue has been great, but others say it's too hard for the players exhaustion, Da da, da da. There's some question marks about who he has agreed to let host the World Cup, like in Saudi Arabia, and they've turned it into four courts instead of too hard.
Speaker 4: And of course he decided to give out the inaugural Fee for Peace prize to Donald Trump, which people thought was a bit on the nose because Trump keeps starting wars. So anyway they come on the field, everyone boos them and then Trump tries to sort of revel in the in the in the Spain team's glory. Now Spain is notoriously anti Trump, like they probably be the most anti Trump European country, whereas Argentina had Argentina one. Argentina's president is like a little like wanna be mini me Trump type, so he was probably disappointed that Spain won, but then Spain kind of didn't want anything to do with him. They were too fixated on the World Cup. And then he just sort of hovers on stage during his like YMCA, I'm drying my back with a towel down, and then finally Gianni himself has to basically lead Trump off stage because he won't go.
Speaker 3: It's a bit embarrassing. It actually perfectly encapsulated what it's like to score a goal in a World Cup game, where the whole team is celebrating together and the goalie is just back there.
Speaker 4: I like that as a sporting metaphor. Yes, that's exactly what it was like.
Speaker 2: So go have a look at all the pictures of all the celebrities at the World Cup. We need to very heavily analyze who played Lively was with. She obviously has cred to be there because Ryan Reynolds owns a football team. I think maybe he owns two football teams now, so she at least knows the rules, unlike Trump.
Speaker 3: She was like, that's a red card.
Speaker 2: When the Spaniard got sent off, she was like, I know that is a red card.
Speaker 1: I have a question.
Speaker 2: I'm really worried about this segment because you know how your phone listens to you and then serves you all the videos. I feel strongly about this. My question to you too, is are you a popper holic. I'm about to explain what that is, but I have a feeling you are one. I'm a huge oh my god, all I just need to reiterate, do not serve me the videos I'm about to talk about, do not serve them to me. Poppa Hollick is the name for the devotees of the gross that is Dr pimple Popper. Sandra Lee. Not saying that she's gross, her content is gross. There was a big New York Times profile this week about Dr pimple Popper. She's a dermatologist. Of course, she's based in LA and she makes those videos. You've all seen them again my phone. I don't want them of people having things squeezed out. And it may have started, it may start with a little like entry level blackhead situation, but before you know it were into cists, We're into all kinds of.
Speaker 4: Like, am why why do you like these videos?
Speaker 3: It's so so good. I was actually really happy to see this profile because I've been following doctor pimple Popper since like my school days. I would get home from school, get on my laptop, my old laptop, and go to her YouTube channel and then filter by popularity and watch the most viewed pimple popping video she posts, which are like the big Gnally ones. I'd go on for about like fifteen minutes. I'm not one.
Speaker 2: We're going to get to what it says about you as a person, Okay, but just a bit of detail about why we're talking about her. What was revealed in this article was kind of the scale of her business and an empire. Because she's a dermatologist from la She still operates there out of this kind of nondescript office.
Speaker 3: People travel to see her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in her office, there's a neon sign in blue cursive that demands popperholics you nite.
Speaker 3: Apparently.
Speaker 2: She says that one day, several years into her experiment of seeing if people would like to watch these things, she posted a video on which she removed an enormous blackhead known as a paw of winer. I don't want to think about that. People were either disgusted or obsessed, but either way, they tagged a friend and take off was not instant, the New York Times reports, but it was pretty close. The first month she tried to YouTuber, she tried to monetize her YouTube videos. In twenty fifteen, she made about thirty dollars. Now she makes six figures a month easy. What She has seventeen million people following her on TikTok. That is more than Beyonce and Britney Spears combined, an additional thirteen million watching her on YouTube and Instagram.
Speaker 1: So she is killing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And are these videos just pimples being popped?
Speaker 3: It's like pimples being popped. Black Heads removal, cysts removal, so any kind of like body, kind of little spot gets removed. She's also she also taught me a lot about my own removal processes. So you know, when you remove a black head and like the whole thing just comes up in one like glorious.
Speaker 4: No, I assume I know nothing, So you're actually not done.
Speaker 3: Because you also have to get the sack out otherwise then you'll get another black head.
Speaker 1: I'm worried about. I'm worried about as I say.
Speaker 3: Black head out and then just go for one more squeeze and there's like a little white thing that pops up after it, and then you're done.
Speaker 1: Where do you stand on poperholics, Amelia? I think I know.
Speaker 4: You are you?
Speaker 1: Are you watching these videos?
Speaker 4: No, I'm watching the World Cup like a normal person.
Speaker 3: I don't Jude beelling and wearing his gardening hats.
Speaker 4: The thing I'm interesting I love Drew Belling. And the thing I'm interested in is why we like the gross disgusting thing, Like why.
Speaker 3: Are we drawn to that?
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 3: I think with pimple popping and like all these kind of like even earwax removals.
Speaker 4: And I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: About it.
Speaker 4: I don't know if there's there's.
Speaker 3: Like earwax doctors and then they take a little camera into ears that they're cleaning out and they remove all we see it. But it has to be done in a particular way that's satisfying, which means that it has to end. The video has to end when everything's cleared out, when you know that there's still some things like to happen that just like leaves me distress. I'm anxious. I feel very like safe when I watch these videos because it's like I'm watching something really gross happen and it's very pleasing to my eyes, but I know it's not actually personally affecting me.
Speaker 2: There is some theories, some scientific theories about it tell us so why people love it. Benign masochism is one of the words, one of the terms for it, which is that you kind of enjoy watching the suffering of the person, but you know it because you know it's not serious, you know what I mean, Like, you know that there is a little bit of pain being inflicted there, but it's not it's not a dangerous level of pain, so you enjoy that.
Speaker 3: The other else falls into this category. I'm watching tattoo removals. Oh, like the laser I guess.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: The other theory is our deep seated grooming instinct that we all have from evolution, Like the reason why monkeys pull things out of each other's hair and stuff is that some people have that more than others, the instinct to groom. And another was that which I think is where you fit in probably is the pleasure of completion, Like, here's a problem. Dr Sandra Lee is going to fix that problem. We're going to be here at the beginning. We're gonna be here at the end. It's sorted, and it's nice to be sorted.
Speaker 1: And that.
Speaker 2: There's that, and then the reason why some people hate it like me, and maybe I really really hate it. If I even see them coming up on my fortube, I'm like, soe you page I want to throw my phone into a bottle of water. Is I must have a high disgust sensitivity, which apparently is a thing that is set in you.
Speaker 4: But do you think, like would you have thought that about yourself beforehand?
Speaker 2: I'd like, I don't mind, I mean too much information, But like like anyone, I quite like squeezing a black head. But I've always drawn the line, and you know there are people who like squeezing other people's black heads. Yeah, Like my mom used to chase me around when I was a teenager and she'd be like, I'll pay fifty p if you let me get it.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. I'm exactly like your mom.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no other people's business. I don't want it anywhere near me.
Speaker 3: But don't you like want like when you look at someone and you know they have something on their back and you just anate with And this is when I really had to check myself and about my habits of watching these videos. I want to an un date with the guy park date getting coffee, sitting in a park and without even thinking, I just leant over and squeezed a pimple on his side.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I didn't even ask for consent. You did, and he was just like oh, And I was like, oh, I got it.
Speaker 4: Is the second datepe You got that guy's on your fingers, crushed it off on some grass, or you like put it back on them. Do you know? I think you can also change over the course of your lifetime. We were talking before about child free people. I have a child free friend who the thing that she cannot get over with kids is, you know, when little kids are eating, they tend to smear food everywhere, and she is really repulsed by that idea of like a little kid's smearing there.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of goo involved in the early years if you can't escape.
Speaker 4: And so I wonder if, like also your tolerance can kind of ebb and flow depending on where you're at in life. Because that would never occur to me to be grossed out by that.
Speaker 2: But also it maybe explains why I didn't used to mind it as much as I do now.
Speaker 1: Maybe I've reached my tolerance.
Speaker 2: When my kids were little and you're dealing with all kinds of things, gooey things that you just have too you've got no choice. But now that I don't have to do that anymore, I'm just like, absolutely cap absolutely not. There's this stuff called Exfoliant, Go for your lives, kids, off you.
Speaker 3: Go after the break. The device that's not a smartphone that's making us lose a sense of community. Writer markham Hyde posted a sub sect about a theory that he has on why it feels like we're collectively losing a sense of unity. He calls it the air pod effect, and he explains how he's noticed more people more often than not, in public spaces are either wearing AirPod earphones headphones, and in this article he writes about how those devices act as a deterrent for spontaneous interactions that we go through in day to day life, and he says that they act as a way of people people look at people who are wearing these earphones and think it's like automatic, do not disturb me? So, yes, definitely they are, Amelia. Are you a headphones and public kind of person?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am. But this piece really made me question what it's doing to me. It had some really interesting, actually quite alarming tidbits in it. He quoted a study that finds that Americans are speaking less words to each other than they used to, and he draws a line directly both to the smartphone and then even more to AirPods, because basically, between two thousand and five in twenty nineteen, the spoken words uttered by the average person fell by twenty eight percent. He's and he says, since twenty nineteen has gotten even worse because now you've got QR menu ordering in restaurants, that's true, you've got at the supermarket, you got to do your own checkout now, and air pods. Unlike when you used to have the cord headphones. At least then you could see, Okay, someone's listening to a song. That's fine. But now AirPods are a way of life, Like you're not just putting them in to listen to something. I think a lot of people just wear them for the sake of wearing them, right.
Speaker 3: I one hundred percent. I'm the type of person to wear air pods for the sake of wearing them. Why Because I like to sometimes be outside and have no one.
Speaker 4: Talked, so it's like a visual buffer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: My question about that is, who are you trying to avoid talking to you? Because is this like a I don't want creepy guys bothering me? Or is this a I just don't want interactions of any kind?
Speaker 3: Yeah, interactions of any kind. If I'm going grocery shopping and I'm in one of those phases where I'm like, I just want to go get my groceries, come home, I don't want to talk to anyone. I don't want to look at anyone.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 3: Like I feel safer with my AirPods in because I it is like a deterrent, Like people are less likely to come up and say hello or like look at you, or even just kind of ask you about your day. And I there is though, if I do go to a grocery shop and I only keep my AirPods in if I am going self checkout, but if I am talking to someone and someone's serving me, I do take them out.
Speaker 4: Often, so I've had this experience, and I'm sure many people listening have had the same experience. You go to the supermarket, you check out at the machine. The only time someone speaks to you is when they asked to look inside your bag to check that you haven't shoplifted. And I think that's creating like a really toxic dynamic because it's like, the only person I've spoken to you on this entire outing is checking to see that I'm not a criminal. And it's so different from how you used to go to the supermarket and have a chat with the person who's checking you out and maybe someone you talk to someone in the dairy aisle about what they think about like this brand of cottage cheese. Like everything's changed.
Speaker 2: I find that so interesting because all of it. For a start, the idea that the number of words we're saying a day is chopping is fascinating because that must also be to do with So that's to do with this incidental interaction that we're talking about, but it probably is also to do with the fact that even when we're at home, we're often watching listening, like in putting separate to the other people in our home.
Speaker 1: If we live with other people.
Speaker 2: So the very idea that we're saying less is kind of fascinating because very often that part of the rise of airpod's obviously their great technology blah blah, is attributed to the rising popularity of podcasts right. So hey, I'm sure there are lots of people who listening to us right now in order to avoid talk to someone that don't want to talk to And audiobooks. Yeah, but that means it's constant input but a lot less output. And what does that do to us over time is really interesting. I understand that airports can be a really helpful do not disturb for neurodiverse people.
Speaker 1: People try to.
Speaker 2: Avoid being harassed, like you know, young women will often say, you know that kind of almost toxic interaction of smile and like trying to chat you up and stuff. Great deterrent for that, buttle all those little interactions in your day if you just walk into the food court to get noodles, Like, why are you so keen to avoid those?
Speaker 3: Well, because I'm just like I have my agenda. Is it about your social battery? Maybe it's my social battery. I also think exactly what this article says when now, when people do talk to me and it's like a stranger and it's a daily interaction. My brain does malfunction, like for me sometimes saying like if someone's like good morning, I'm like, yeah, thank you, and then I just like my brain doesn't comprehend what other peop people are saying to me or why they would be talking to me in the first place. I've also noticed it's so different depending where you're located. When I go back home to visit my parents in the Outer West and I go for like a long walk, I notice that every single person I walk past, it's like common knowledge within that community that you just say good morning, yeah to the person I live to for sure. It doesn't happen in the city at all.
Speaker 1: Different.
Speaker 3: It's so different, and it's kind of like what you expect. If I'm out where my parents are, I feel comfortable taking my AirPods out because I know if I was to say good morning someone, they'll say it. Back in the inner city, I can say good morning someone and I get completely blank.
Speaker 4: So part of it is about I'm watching a World Cup final please yes'.
Speaker 3: Fear of embarrassment.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that you say that, Amelia, because this morning so I was walking. I drove in from from where I live today, and then I was walking from apart my car to the office, and I was watching the World Cup final because it was literally happening in the last few minutes, and so I had my AirPods in.
Speaker 3: I was looking at my.
Speaker 1: Phone while I was walking.
Speaker 2: So are a lot of other And the thing that was quite nice about that is you could kind of look at someone and go, they're watching the football, like, and there was something a bit there was some camaraderie there, and you almost could look at each other and go because connecting with other people is nice and that's exactly what we're losing all the time. So I bumped into someone I worked with though after the game had finished. I bumped into someone I work with. She was wearing ear pods. I was wearing air pods. We stopped at the traffic lights together and I took my EarPods out to say hello to her, and she did the same. But she said, do you want to keep talking or do you want to put your ear pods back in? And that's now like a social contract. Well I said, no, let's keep talking.
Speaker 3: But what do you want to do?
Speaker 1: Well, I was happy to.
Speaker 2: But sometimes I would have said, Oh, I really need to listen to this. That would be the other my excuse for work for work, I really need to listen to this.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of sad, isn't it It is?
Speaker 4: I was thinking. Also, this made me think about how Apple's ads for their headphones have changed so much, because back in two thousand and three, when iPods first came out, there was a really iconic ad. It actually featured the Australian band Jett song are You Going to Be My Girl?
Speaker 2: Remember?
Speaker 4: And it had a really bright background and it showed a person dancing with the white cord of their Apple earphone showing. And then you fast forward to last year and there was an acclaimed Apple ad that I know you were a fan of, Hollywod because you talked about on the show, which showed Pedro Pascal walking through city streets and it depicted four seasons passing as you walked through the streets, not talking to anyone. And I thought, we've come a long way in terms of what Apple is selling to us, because back in two thousand and three, it was like dance joyfully against a bright background with your white headphone cord showing, and now it's become you two can be like Pedro Pascal and walk through a crowded city without having to interact with a single soul.
Speaker 1: You're so right.
Speaker 2: I thought about that ad today because I did like it because of Pedro, obviously I'm a fan of his, but the thing that AirPods sell you, that is a dream. And in Australia, by the way, we have a very high take up of AirPods because we are more Apple infiltrated than lots of other countries include in the US, so apparently seventy five percent of people who will use them on their smartphone, which is amazing marketing when you think about it, because they're really expensive, they're really inconvenient, like very easy to lose. They're actually not a great thing. They're actually bad for your years, they're bad for your hearing. And yet we love the and I did exactly this is I upgraded to the ones that do the noise canceling because we all want that isolation. And when I watched that Pedro pascalad, I was like, love Pedro, but I was like.
Speaker 1: That's kind of sad.
Speaker 3: There's another one.
Speaker 2: I was just TOPI Yeah, a woman walking through New York City and she'd whether she had a noise cancelation on or off, the city would come to life or fade away.
Speaker 3: And I get it, but it is so egom and iya point of a city.
Speaker 1: The energy.
Speaker 4: Well, we're all sharing stories from my morning commute here, I guess, because it's underscoring how these little advices have come to reshape our world. But I was on a crowded bus and it occurred to me that in years gone by, there would have been much more verbal interaction and negotiation around the limited space on the bus, people saying, oh, excuse me, Oh you're welcome, that's fine, no worries, sorry, Like none of those little words get said anymore. So you're all jammed in like sardines, just like you were in the past. But back in the past, there was this social lubricant working between you all, which was in the form of words, basically like apologizing or saying thank you. And now we don't have any of that, and I think it actually makes us more stressed, because you get really mad at someone who's like, you know, blocking the door, but you don't say anything to them because you figure they probably can't hear you anyway, and then you don't get to be gracious to someone and say thank you as they like let you pass. We basically assume no one can hear us speak anymore.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: We're moving through the world like that. I don't like to be judging, but my one etiquete rule, you've got to take them out. If you're talking to someone in the shop, you just have to, yeah, get high. And sometimes I'm busy and I don't own enough hands, and I forget, and then I'm like, don't be a dickhead.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: I think it's a dickhead move.
Speaker 4: I think. Also the other thing that this article really cracked open for me is the idea that an airport, much more than a wide headphone, becomes an extension of your own body. And this was underscored by the fact that apparently they've done studies and they show that people are more likely to like someone they hear in a podcast if they hear them speaking through their ears rather than through a speaker. And it's because if you hear them through your ears, they become part of your internal monologue. They become part of you, so you're much more likely to extend warmths and empathy to them. And if you heard them speaker, I have.
Speaker 2: A party out louder is about that because they've got us in their heads.
Speaker 4: What a way to end things.
Speaker 1: You're inner monologue is now got this strange northern accent, this.
Speaker 4: Weird transpecific I love that. Also. Now the script called for you to say, Holly, thanks out louders for having us in your ears with.
Speaker 1: It all the time and your brain out Louders, we do love you. I hope you take AirPods out to talk to the person you get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, please don't put us back in.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we'd love to know what your etiquette is about.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: A massive thank you to all of you've been here with us on this Monday. Let's get ready for another week.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 3: Mamma May acknowledges the traditional owners of the lands on which we recorded this podcast.