Speaker 1: You're listening to another Mia podcast. Mumma Mea acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gatagul people of the Eor Nation. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Rate islander cultures.
Speaker 2: Hi, it's Annalise Todd here from This Glorious Mess introducing Hot Pod Summer, one hundred hours of curated listening across the Mummameer network, just for you to escape the chaos and enjoy with the kids at home and the weather warming up. We've got episodes of Little Love Stories and Parents Anonymous to share. Little Love Stories is an open hearted conversation with someone who has loved to share that love can be to anything. Maybe it's a time in someone's life, a person, or even an object. It's all about discovering the magic everywhere you look. If you're looking for something else to listen to, Mama Mia is officially presenting one hundred hours of summer listens, from meaningful conversations to incredible stories, fashion, beauty and more.
Speaker 3: There's a link in the show notes.
Speaker 4: I Love you, Have you lived with you?
Speaker 3: From Mamma Mia.
Speaker 2: This is this glorious mess, and welcome back to Little Love Stories. I'm Grace Ruvery, the producer of this glorious mess.
Speaker 3: What defines a tough time?
Speaker 2: That's saying tough time is often the term used by the viewer on the outside and not the person experiencing it, because for those who are actually experiencing the tough time, it's more like a kaleidoscope of human emotions, morphing and changing every second from hard, terrifying, refreshing and even exhilarating. Today's Little Love story comes from Chris O'Neill. Almost two years ago, Chris was diagnosed with breast cancer and she went through and continues to wade through a myriad of complex emotions. One of those is her now very layered position as suddenly an inspirational survivor.
Speaker 5: Is because you have this portrayal of what a survivor is, which is often one dimensional, sometimes you know, very masculine, and it's a juxtaposition to what it is actually that you feel inside. It's more than just surviving. It's resilient, it's courageousness. It's being terrified and then having to push on anyway because, like you said, you actually have no choice.
Speaker 2: Whilst her survival is of course a cause for celebration, Chris had to make the choice to get a double mistectomy and it kicks downed a whole new journey now trying to figure out who she was in the aftermath, whilst also being grateful that she's here today.
Speaker 5: And I don't want to feel regret. It's too late for regret. But I also feel like it's like a time in my life that it just feels like it's not even me anymore, and I really am fundamentally different.
Speaker 2: Chris didn't write a love letter to herself about resilience or surviving. Chris write a letter to her breasts, her girls, the choice to say goodbye to them, and the choice her choice to say no to reconstruction.
Speaker 5: We should be afforded choice, every choice. It shouldn't matter if I'm a woman. It shouldn't matter if I am a man. It shouldn't matter my age, it shouldn't matter if I've had children or not. It's not discriminative. I should have all of my choices on the table, and I should not have to fight or even ask for one that's not offered to me, but he's actually available to me if I choose.
Speaker 2: There's another word that gets thrown up round from the outside, and that's legacy. It's used as a way to discuss death, to keep a memory alive, or reflect on a person.
Speaker 3: But for Chris and our.
Speaker 2: Best friend Cass, they're creating a living legacy to help people feel seen and supported, as well as finding a way to love their new self after going through such fundamental change. But before we get there, here's what a little bit of love sounds like today.
Speaker 4: I think it just unconditional caring, really and absolutely happy.
Speaker 1: It's like, regardless of highs and lows, being.
Speaker 2: Completely comfortable, knowing that you're secure, you have that person, They've got you.
Speaker 5: De la Maree, very beautiful, passion, romantic.
Speaker 1: It's like the hardest thing to describe.
Speaker 5: I reckon. I think you know when you feel it warmth.
Speaker 4: My husband's ninety three and I'm ninety one. This is our seventy eight year ups and downs, having a squabble, all sorts of interesting thing.
Speaker 1: It's kind it dental, It's like caring.
Speaker 3: Chris. I'm so excited to have you here. Thank you.
Speaker 2: The house stories I want to start with the term survivor and how that can be a controversial term, and I think people can think that it's supportive or you've gone through this journey, but it can be quite polarizing for some people.
Speaker 3: Could you tell me your relationship with the word survivor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I probably don't really identify myself as a survivor, but I do know, like you said, it is polarizing, and I think it's actually very individual. From what I've seen in social media and the amazing humans that I follow that inspire me, some of them very much identify as survivors and it's in their title. But then I just think you have such a varying degree of greatness when it comes to what it means to survive, what it means to thrive, or what it means to be a previver, which we also see is an example of someone identifying their journey either with a health challenge or preventing health in some respects cancer. It's very individual what makes them a survivor to you? And how can you be more articulate in that space? So, if you are looking at someone as a survivor, is it because they're showing resilience? Is it because they're showing vulnerability. Is it because they're showing both and then core that out so that you don't have to worry about labeling people or offending people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like when people put this weight on you, it's from the outside. Do you feel I guess an imposter syndrome at being seen as a survivor or you're a motivational speaker now that you've had this shit thing happened to you, where in reality, you didn't have a choice but to face it. I know you and your podcast co host Cass have recently done an episode on this.
Speaker 5: YEP, we talk about this often. Is because you have this portrayal of what a survivor is, which is often one dimensional, sometimes very masculine, and it's a juxtaposition to what it is actually that you feel inside. It's more than just surviving. It's resilience, it's courageousness. It's being terrified, it's being doubtful, it's feeling like absolute shit and then having to push on anyway, because, like you said, you actually have no choice. And I guarantee that from an outsider's point of view, if you were placed in that position, they would absolutely do the same thing. And it's the essence of what we talk about. Stan Grant talks about that when you put in a situation where you have no choice, it's the essence of you that rises to the surface for you to be able to overcome the challenge, whether it be sickness.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is. And it is a form of grief. And that's something that you written in your little love story. Could you just read out that part for me.
Speaker 5: I often place my hands on the space you both used to sit. I press down like an iron, remembering the warmth you both left that now feels cold and numb. Your absence is reflected in the most intimate of moments. I have photos to remember you buy, but it is way too early to gaze on those.
Speaker 3: And for what purpose would it serve.
Speaker 5: There is a great heaviness to your absence, a feeling not unlike grief.
Speaker 3: It's just sad.
Speaker 2: It's going to hit different on different days, isn't it. That's exactly right.
Speaker 5: And that's what's so complex about grief. Sometimes you do feel really positive, and sometimes you feel the quiet spaces with things to do, tasks to complete, so you can always almost distract yourself from the grief and it just goes in waves.
Speaker 3: So it's about.
Speaker 5: Riding the highs, riding the lows, and drawing on the support you need.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about the photos that you have you haven't looked at. Why haven't you looked at them yet?
Speaker 5: Because I'm afraid of what it will surface. Yeah, I guess it's a form of avoidance. And I don't want to feel regret. It's too late for regret. I think it just feels like it's not even me anymore. And what this I guess event or life challenge that I've had to go through has just created I don't know. I'm just so different. I know it sounds very cliche, but I really am fundamentally different. So now I'm in this kind of self discovery phase of how I now, I guess identify, and so I just don't think I'm ready. But you know, what might be an anti climax. I could look at those photos and go, oh gosh, that was nothing.
Speaker 3: What was I worried about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fundamental different person is it's a life marker. All of these moments in life before it happened, Like that's the last page of a chapter, but you have started the next chapter. Yeah, and in that next chapter, I would like you to read the next part of your essay where you talk about the relief and finding oxygen, which I'm really curious to hear about.
Speaker 5: Like an unfeeling fist that has been clenched for way too long, your loss has returned oxygen to aspects of myself that I buried under to do lists and tasks that filled every moment of my waking life. I no longer swallow uncomfortableness like dry bread clogging up my airways, but instead I cry all types of cries, really silent cries, loud cries, angry cries, marathon like cries, ugly cries. I think I've experienced them more. If the body keeps the score. I've been on a losing streak until now. What do you think your losing streak was up until that time? I've described myself as a one dimensional person, where ye, my identity was just wrapped up in what I.
Speaker 3: Did for work.
Speaker 5: I love my work. It makes a difference, but it's also relentless, and I'm the kind of person that I thrive on fast paced type of environment, so it was almost like it was feeding a negative part of myself. And it ended up just taking over my whole life. And I've done that for most of my working life, and so when this actually happened, the first emotion that I felt was relief, which is really fucked up. How do you feel relief? Like it does not make sense? And yeah, I had to have six weeks off and that really woke me up because I thought, yeah, that was a real turning point for me. And I took those six weeks to really evaluate, first of all, around how I was going to turn back up at work. So I made some really key decisions in that respect, but also bring to the surface all the other parts of me that i'd pretty much lay dormant because I let work just overrun my life.
Speaker 2: What is that re entry back into life like where you've gone through something massive and then you are sort of being met with people from a voyeuristic perspective of you know, you're kind of behind a amusing an exhibit of like survivor Brave. What was it like having to deal with the conversations with people that they put on you, And I guess sometimes you end up counseling them through your journey.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm so lucky to be surrounded by so many incredible humans. You know, whether I work with them, live with them, I loved by them, and so everyone just means so well. I always take that with thankfulness really, and you know some people will yeah place that kind of survivor or that bravery title on you, or ask you how you're doing it and how you're possibly moving on with you couldn't possibly, Yes, I couldn't possibly, which comes from a place of fear, right, So I think it was actually really empowering because being in a place where I had to undergo this experience and no one else had to, it gave me a reason to change, and it gave me permission to do so.
Speaker 2: You do go into talk about in the essay that it's not easy, like to make that decision, even though it is about saving your life, but it's still not easy to make that decision.
Speaker 3: I'd love for you to read that part.
Speaker 5: This decision came with great anxiety, and the inception of this anxiety stemming from the literature that I was reading about masectomy and the clear messaging that to me favored reconstruction as a way to assure or improve my quality of life. I did not have to fight to go flat, like so many other women in this world have to. But I did have to clearly ask for it. Beyond surgery and physical recovery, there is still not enough guidance on how to address my grief or navigate my wobbly moments beyond flippant advice to go and seek psychological help.
Speaker 2: What is fight to go flat? That's not a term that I've heard before. I'd love to know more about it.
Speaker 5: When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, it was a high grade form of cancer called ductor castinoma in situ, so I got it early. It was early form, it was not yet invasive, and so when I first got diagnosed.
Speaker 3: I thought, oh, thank God, I'll.
Speaker 5: Just get that thing cut out and I'll just move on with my life. Might have to have a radiation, have a couple of days off work, and that I can resume my one dimensional life. I was then rudely told that my mass was so large and because of the ratio of the mass that was inside my left breast compared to the size of my breast, because I had quite small breasts, they were unable to save that breast. And so what I had to do was make the decision around whether I would go flat, or go with an immediate reconstruction, or go with a delayed reconstruction, or have a double miss ectomy. Now, they were all the options that I could take, but the only options that were offered to me was either an immediate reconstruction or a delayed reconstruction of the left breast. And so when I talk about fighting to go flat, the challenge in this arena is that so many women across the world are not afforded that option. If they're brave enough like I was, to actually ask for it, and if they have a surgeon like I did, who so graciously said, of course, it's your body, it's your decision, some surgeons refuse. Basically, we should be afforded choice, every choice. It shouldn't matter if I'm a woman. It shouldn't matter if I am a man. It shouldn't matter my age, it shouldn't matter if I've had children or not. It's not discriminative. I should have all of my choices on the table, and I should not have to fight or even ask for one that's not offered to me, but he is actually available to me if I choose. And so whether it was my age, whether it's just the surgical culture, whatever it is, we know that women across the world oftentimes have to fight to go flat, and in some cases actually lose that fight. Because in my case, I asked for a double missectomy, knowing that I would be taking my second breast, which was completely healthy tissue, and I did that for many reasons, and yeah, my breast surgeon said, yes, of course I didn't want implants, and I know many women do and that's their choice, but for me personally, I knew I didn't want implants and thankfully was given that option.
Speaker 2: As part of the section that you just read out, you said, there's not a lot that's been done to support you apart from go and seek psychological help. What options do you want to see out there for women like yourself who are struggling after this procedure.
Speaker 5: I can only talk in the breast cancer area and my own personal experience. There is such a wealth of support, and I mean I'm talking about myself. I am a woman in a metropolitan city who has a very stable job, who can take leave. I have so much support and access to surgical procedures and options and medical support, and I know that's not the case for everyone. So through that lens, after the surgery, after you physically heal, after the scars, what then after the breast can nurses stop coming and calling? What is actually available from there? Because it's not just about the physical recovery, it's about navigating the world in your new body, in your new identity. And yes, I could and do see a psychologist, but it's more of a community that we need to see that recognizes being flat as about a choice, recognizes that women of all ages, sizes, colors may want to go flat, that's okay, and that we should be able to embark on the world just like every other human, whether you've got a boob or not.
Speaker 2: What you're doing now is you're creating that community yourself. Yes, I'd love for you to tell me about the podcast that you have with your friend, yes, and what you're hoping to deal with it.
Speaker 5: So my best friend Cass, who's also had a double mis ectomy for a very different reason, we decided to start a podcast and that podcast is called breast Case Scenario. So the inception of the idea started when I walked into this was two weeks before I was to have my surgery. I started thinking about prosthetics because at the time I was most worried about looking like I had boobs, even though I hadn't, and that's just completely different now. So I walked into this brass store that showed mastectomy where and she directed me to the offerings of swimwear. I looked at the rack and just I was just really sad actually, because nothing there represented what I would wear. It was really interesting. I thought, Wow, I think there's a gap in the market here. So that's how it started. But then it evolved into the navigating the world and body and identity and self love, all of that kind of thing. And we realized that even between Cass and I, yes we've both had double misseectomies, but our scenarios cannot be more different. And so we've created space of like minded humans who can engage with light, with laughter, with gratefulness, with reflection about our experiences, and support each other post surgical perspective of misectomy. And we love doing every minute of it.
Speaker 3: And what's the response been.
Speaker 2: Have you found more women who have been like, yes, thank you, We've needed this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been very emotional. Actually, you know, it's an absolute labor of love. Cass and I both work full time and we spend every other waking minute of our lives just delving deep into creativity. It's a form of writing, right And when you get the feedback from women saying thank you so much for putting this out here, you have put words to how I feel, and I wasn't able to articulate them. In some respects, our listeners are actually putting into words things that we can't articulate ourselves because we're still processing and try to understand that psychological aspect of this event happening. We've just met so many incredible people along the way. We have a long list of people we'd like to interview or have interviewed. You know, we're all about inclusivity. So when we're talking about maseectomy, yes it predominantly impacts women with breast cancer, but there's also prophilectic misectomies, there's also masseectomies in men, and there's also top surgery for those undertaking gender transitions. So we are going to represent the more and we are really excited about that.
Speaker 2: So we end every little love stories by asking what does love mean to you?
Speaker 5: Well, for me, When I think of what love means to me, now that I've fifteen months postmasectomy, I think it all comes down to presence, giving someone your unreserved presence, and that's something that I don't think I did very well up until that time. I think I was constantly distracted about what I should be doing instead of engaging with my beautiful nephews or nieces or sisters, or mother or father or my own family. So, whether it be by giving your time or prioritizing what you hold deer in terms of your values, I think that's really important. Yes, it's giving up blocks of time and days, but it's also in the fleeting moments with those that you spend the most time with. So for me, my two beautiful boys and my husband, and just taking advantage of all those small moments that you have dinner together because those moments are so few far in between. I mean, I have teenage boys, so they don't want to bar of me, and putting the phone down, sitting down and taking the time to bring your whole self because they deserve your whole self. That's what love means to me.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for sharing your story.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me thank you for listening to Little Love Stories. You can read Chris's full essay on the mum and mea website. There is a link to it in our show notes. If you have a love story to share, we'd love to hear it. Don't be afraid to think outside the box of the story you want to tell and the love you want to share. You can find all the details on how to submit your story in our show notes