Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mom and Mayor acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to canceled the podcast that looks silly celebrity crimes and assigns charges and sentences to them so we can all move on with our lives. I'm Plus Stephens and I'm Jesse Stephens, and today we needed to talk about the drama around it ends with us.
Speaker 3: We all have an idea of what life can be.
Speaker 2: I want to see you again. Now you see me.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That special connection you feel, that first kiss for fifteen seconds, that's whole it teakes.
Speaker 2: To completely change everything. A disclaimer, we have not yet seen the movie. I think that's the point because the culture hasn't seen it, but the culture has feelings. Yes, and as Blake Lively says, we'll get our florals, grab our girlfriends and go see a movie that's about domestic violence. We'll do that. But it's actually not crucial for us to have seen the movie in order to talk about all the drama around it. I will say, though it's a lot of controversy for what is by all accounts and average film. I heard people compare it to the Lifetime movie. I thought that sounds lovely. No, No, it's like apparently quite bad because it's like, okay, so you've got the source material. The book's terrible, Claire, you can't be saying the book's terrible. I couldn't get through it. I read a few pages. Oh, so you try to read it. I think you're gonna upset a lot of people by saying the books. I don't think anyone thinks it's a literary feat. I don't so you make a movie out of that book. But it's like fifty Shades. I loved fifty Shades. Loved the book, Yeah, loved the films. Would do any other medium you wanted to explore it, if you wanted to do a stage play, if you wanted to do an album, if you wanted to do an interpretive dance, I would be first in line. True and unlike when other people say it's bad, Oh, I think it's okay to say that it's bad. Okay, we can enjoy things that are bad. That's what most of this podcast is about. But the quality of it doesn't really matter because it's a box office hit, and it made over one hundred million dollars at the global box office during its first week in theaters. Some context. It Ends with Us is a movie based on the best selling book of the same name by Colleen Hoover. It's called It Ends with Us, but then the sea call is it starts with Us. I have It starts with Us on my bookcase when I get confused because that feels like it should be the first and it ends with Us should be the sea cal That's a feedback I would give a football pitch to me and are an editor. I think I gave you that. Yeah, yeah, Why would you give me the second? Because I didn't know it was the second? Okay, it tells the story of Lily Bloom. You know what it's like, what it's like. When I turned thirteen or fourteen, Mom wanted to encourage reading. She gave me the fourth Harry Potter. To this day, I still am a bit pissed off about Hary Potter because I'm like, I just feel like it didn't start at the beginning. Well, not for you, Jesse, because you've got a big, fat book with no context. Because Mum didn't realize it was part of a series. I was like, who is Harry A lot of knowledge and then it's like, yeah, you never went on the journey, not Blie didn't. I couldn't. I was thrust in four episodes late. Well, it tells the story of Lily Bloom. Let's just pause on that character. She's a florist. But I know that Lily Bloom is played by Blake Lively and she has escaped a rough childhood and she opens her dream flower store and soon meets her seemingly dream guy, Ryle Kincaid. Ryle is played by Justin Baldoni from Jane the Vergin, who also directed the film. You may know him from Jane the Virgin or his other work, which we're going to discuss. From the beginning, it was clear that there was tension between the cast. Justin Baldoni was not photographed with his fellow cast members at the New York premiere on August six, and sat in another theater the night of the premiere. That's so right, it's giving I have COVID, but he doesn't have COVID. No, no, he might. That's not related to cinema. He didn't introduce the movie alongside Lively, and he was also absent from pared or group interviews and from promotional appearances for the duration of the press tour where it would be like all the other cast together. For example, there's a video for Vanity Fair as part of the publicity for It Ends with Us, where Lively and five of her co stars test on how well they know each other and Baldoni is missing. When I initially saw this and everyone was going they're not doing press together, I thought, maybe this is really smart, because it does feel more efficient to split up to as they say, divide. If you and I were promoting canceled, it feels like a waste of our time to go and do the same media when we could split and do double the amount. I could go to Russia, you could go to Spain. Yeah, exactly right. If they'd have us, they wouldn't the first hurdle language. And so I thought, oh, maybe they're just being smart. But then I realized it's just not a thing that you do. You have to promote with your co stars. Yes. Then there's Instagram. Blake Lively follows a bunch of fellow members of the cast, including people like Jenny Slat. Does she follow Colleen Yes, but she does it, and Colleen follows her, Yes, but Blake Lively does not follow Baldoni. On is just I can't express how important this is. It's a piece of information, It's everything I need to know, like why everything why it's intentional? And then Baldoni follows the whole cast. As for Hoover, she follows Lively but not Baldoni, but she once did because just a few months ago she was posting photos with him to promote the film. Most of the rest of the cast follow Lively but not Baldoni. If I if I was in a courtroom and I've been exclusively watching courtroom drummers for the last few weeks, I'd be strutting up and down, and I'd be looking at the jury. You got to get nice and close to the jury so that they trust you, And I would say, they all follow each other. He follows them, they don't follow him. Make of that what you will, and then I would get the hammer and go case closed. There's something fishy going on, as we've said before, where they's smoke, there's fine, there's a reason why they're not following him. Speaking to us weekly a couple of weeks after the movie, came out A sauce said there were two camps on the film, Team Blake and team Justin. This creative struggle set the tone for the negative experience behind the scenes and grew into them not speaking anymore. That must be so hard when you're staging. I mean, I haven't seen the film, but I imagine sex scenes. Apparently their chemistry is great on screen. Chemistry is one of the things that even the bad reviews say is storming. I know it's hard when you and I have unfollowed each other off the mat and then we have to come in and do a sill little canceled record, very awkward in the room, and people say the chemistry, the chemistry, and I'm like, well, it's fake. I don't unfollow anyone. I once unfollowed someone and it's the most passive, aggressive thing I've ever done. And I think all the time, how she must know. I don't think she knows. Maybe in my life I have one feud, one feud out of thirty three years, I still follow her. Why would I not follow her? I want to keep them tabs. I think maybe she doesn't follow me. Oh, I'm sorry, yeah, but she hasn't blocked me, did lovely Blake hasn't blocked him? Well, we don't know. Mmm, we don't know, do we? But there's an unfollowing. I assume we'll get to yes. Well, the questions are why is everyone fighting? Whose fault is it? My structure for today is as follows. Now, this is an interesting structure because we've got headings and subheadings heading Justin Valdoni, subheadings who are you? Why are people mad at you? Why do you need a PR crisis manager? What have you said? Heading backlively? Subheadings, uncomfortable interviews, cross promo? Did we need to do cross promo? I have seen some reviews about okayduct and it can make some look messy. We should try it. I don't think we can get it. I'd like to try something. Yeah, me too, and an awkward moment from twenty sixteen, then moving on to a discussion segment. Yeah, there's some discussion about these Justin Valdoni, who are you? Okay, because the thing about Justin Valdoni, who are you? Is it we're all pretending we knew your name. Justin Valdoni? Oh yeah, James and Jane the version all right, Jesse, you watched three episodes. You didn't know that name. You had to look up how to pronounce it. Yeah, be real, Well he's one of those people then you look at it and go oh oh. He is an actor and filmmaker. He played Raphael in Jane the Virgin and he directed that movie Five Feet Apart, with Cole Sprouse and Hailey lou Richardson.
Speaker 4: Human touch.
Speaker 1: We need that touch from the one we love almost as much as we need her to breathe.
Speaker 2: I never understood that until I couldn't have it a phase of work, no idea, what like, you're just speaking, Okay. Hailey lou Richardson played Porsche in White Lotus and five feet Apart was this. I haven't seen it, and so I'm probably really going to upset people by saying a terrible movie about two young people with cystic fibrosis who couldn't be any closer than six feet apart. The poster is two young hot people standing apart, and it's not got good reviews. Well, it's just one of those movies. Part Yeah, that's clearly four it's very feet apart, and make about netball. Okay, five feet apart, it's very a walk to remember, Yeah, they are standing five feet apart to me. Twenty nineteen romantic drama film. Okay, I need to know, like a vibe Tomato vibe. Yeah, okay. It was his directorial debut, and then in May twenty sixteen, he launched a time lapse video app for pregnant women and new moms called Belly Bump. It was fun. Oh that's fun. I think that's fun. I'd like it, Jesse, any vibe yet not enough to tell me? Okay, I don't think it's seventy nine percent audience score. I don't think this looks like an absolute We need to know from council listeners. I don't know who Cole Sprouse, the Sprouse Twins. Who are the Sprouse twins? How is there a set of twins? I don't know about it? Okay, Jesse. The Sprouse twins played the kid in Big Daddy. Was cute. Yeah, in Big Daddy with Adam Sandler, and then they had Sweet Life of Zack and Cody and then one of the Riverdale I had no idea. Yeah, that would be why I look at this film and I say, is it an Oscar winner? Probably not. It's giving kissing booth but I can have more serious themes all right, okay, which I feel like it ends with us perhaps, Yeah, in the same genre. That's why I wasn't surprised and I learned he had directed this. I got it. He has a podcast. I've heard about this podcast called the Man Enough Podcast, which explores what it means to be a man today and how rigid gender roles have affected all people. He has also written a book released in twenty twenty one called Man Enough, Undefining My Masculinity, and a children's book in twenty twenty two called Boys Will Be Him. Have you heard that he's been noticeably absent on that podcast recently he disappeared and his co host has come back, and no one's acknowledged he's not on it anymore. Hmmm, well, maybe he's busy with this drama. Yeah, but if you were busy with drama, yeah, and it was someone else sitting in that seat, I get on and go. Claire is, as you may know, busy with drama. Yeah, someone That is why we have a sub in. Okay. Yeah, it's pretending you never existed, which is weird. For it's weird. Okay, that seems important. We'll keep that in the back of our mind, Now, why were people mad at you? As we've said, there have been plenty of signs of tension between Baldoni and Lively and Baldoni and the rest of the cast of It Ends with Us. The week after the film's release, sources told TMZ that Baldoni asked an on set trainer how much Lively wait because he had to pick her up in a scene and he had a long standing back injury. I've been having a bit of trouble sleeping, and it's to do with this situation. Okay, Because, on the one hand, feels like an inappropriate question. She had given birth to her fourth trive months I think you need to know the number. Yeah. On the other hand, like I understand if you've got a back injury. I'm not a set of sk ales, but I feel like I feel like you could someone and work out if they're you could know the hundred kilos or nine hundred, and then you just what was he going to go and do some weights? Yeah? To pick her up? And if you can't pick her up because you've got a long standing back injury, then you're the director, don't understand. Yeah, Actually, great point. It's like, does it matter to you what her weight is to the kilogram? Yes, exactly. I just I don't. I don't like I'm very anti diet culture. And you know when you get on a plane and they're like like a small plane and they're like, we need to weigh you, and I'm like, sounds fat phobic and it's not. It's so that the plane doesn't crash. But in this situation. I have never been in that situation. I wish that was a thing. Yeah. I was recently on a work thing and it's a small plane and then they're like we jet, Like no, I've never been in a private jet. This was a work thing. I was a small plane and they weighed all our baggage, which fine, but then they weigh us and I was like, I don't engage with this. Yeah, that feel unnecessary. There are also reports that Baldoni lingered too long in a kiss during filming, as well as reports that Lively and Baldoni had big creative differences. See even that right lingered too long. It's subjective because it's like it's the idea that when you kiss, we're both going to go through Mississippi mmmmm, or are we just feeling it or like, I don't know. I think it's interesting that that's something that has come out left the set, like clearly it's not like ooh, sorry, you wanted that to end a little bit earlier, like yeah, it feels bitty. So the two pieces of information suggest that Baldoni made people fel uncomfortable and so yeah, yeah, so as a producer, Lively how to say in the decisions around the film and during the press too. Art she has shared how her husband Ryan Reynolds contributed. At the New York premiere, she told e Me and Ryan help each other. We work together so much. The iconic rooftop scene. My husband actually wrote it. Nobody knows that he wrote it, she continues. He works everything I do. I work on everything he does. So his wins, his celebrations are mine, and mine are his. He's all over this film. If I was a writer, I'd be annoyed. Well, yeah, the problem is there's screenwriter credited with writing the whole thing, and her name's Christy Hall. And when she was asked if there was input from Reynolds, she wasn't aware of any. So she said there were a couple of little things that I thought had been improvised. When I saw a cart I was like, oh, that's cute. That must have been a cute improvised thing. So if I'm being told that Ryan wrote that, then great, how wonderful. There are rumors that he wrote it during the writer strike. Hmm, yeah, I don't know about your husband writing the scene. If you're the director. If I'm in a movie and then I'm like, hey, my husband wrote this, it's like, Okay, who's your husband. It's like, well, he's literally Ryan Reynolds, And You're like, I guess feels annoyed? It does? It does? Why do you need a PR crisis manager? So in all of these it's easy to look at them and think like, Okay, So there's a few little stories coming from the set, but there's no absolutely huge Harvey Weinstein esque red flags. I want to know more about the lingering kiss, and I want to know more about the weight comment, and I think knowing about them in the context of a film about domestic violence is interesting. But The Hollywood Reporter has shared that Baldoni has hired veteran PR crisis manager Melissa Nathan in the wake of the film's release. She is the same crisis manager who also represented Johnny Depp during his defamation trial against his ex wife Amber Heard. It appears he hired Nathan in response to negative headlines that were coming out originally. Now, what do you think about this? I'm thinking about the Hootold Amber podcast and how algorithms and TikTok, which I think dictates the cultural take on anything. It was manipulated. I remember being pulled down a rabbit hole and coming to work one day and being like, guys, I don't know what to tell you. Johnny Depps innocent and everyone was like, have you spent three hours on TikTok before you came to work? And I was like, that is what I have done. Yes, And I was wrong because I'd been manipulated by But wasn't it like a bunch of likes were coming through from bots that weren't real and then and Twitter happened on Twitter and everything, so that that's just in the back of my mind. And then when I go on TikTok now and I see that it is all in justin Baldoni's favor, I am becoming quite skeptical of how organic that actually is. I think the fact he hired a PR crisis manager, suggests he's clearly nervous about something. Do you think of that? Or if there's a few bad headlines. If I'm really famous and there's a few bad headlines and I'm worried about it getting out of control, I would probably just hire one. Anyway, if I was like Lively, I would be hiring a crisis PR manager right now. Yeah, I know, I wonder if she has. She's probably hired Ryan. She isn't gonna help. Yeah, But people have criticized him for having this particular person who worked on the Johnny Depp Amberherds, especially given the context of that case, like it went to court and the original court case found that he was more likely than not Johnny Depp was guilty of certain abuses against Amberhert. So I feel as though that's not someone you want to be employing at the same time as you're promoting your domestic violence movie. Yeah. So I just think that's interesting. Now what has he said? Baldoni has made a few very subtle comments about the complexities and difficulties behind the scenes. He told Today at the beginning of August, every movie is a miracle, and then of course, you're navigating complex personalities and trying to get everybody on the same page with the same vision, and mistakes are always made, and then you figure out how to move past them. I'm a best idea wins person, and I always have been to a fault, sometimes to a point where at times I think I've had people wonder if I know what I'm doing or if I have a point of view, because I'm so willing to have my vision changed interest. I don't believe that inspirational creativity comes through one person. You don't have to listen to everybody, and that didn't happen all the time. There were just moments where I would get out of the way too much. This guy is just just telling us he's pissed. He's like, I couldn't say no to Blake and Ryan. I think that's what he's trying to say. I think he's trying to say that he had a very collaborative, democratic, creative process, and that for the likes of Blake, that made her feel like he wasn't the boss, he wasn't in control, he didn't have executive presence. But he's been very overtly complimentary of Lively.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know how smart and creative she really is. I think she's best known as an actress, and of course she's you know, a fashion, you know icon, but she is so much more than that. She is a dynamic creative. She had her hands in every part of this production, and everything she touched you made better.
Speaker 2: I think that the most damning part of all of this. It's a red carpet interview. Is it a comment about the director?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my favorite one where Tonight asked Baldoni if he would direct an adaptation of the sequel. It starts with us, and here's what he said.
Speaker 1: Arts with that.
Speaker 2: So I'm hoping to see you back in the double duty role.
Speaker 1: I think there are better people for that one.
Speaker 4: I think there are better people for that one.
Speaker 1: I think Blake Lively is ready to direct. That's what I made.
Speaker 2: I think she's ready to direct. What that tells me is that Blake Lively tried to direct my film. Yeah, I'm better and now I will step away. I also so I want to add that he's been praised very widely for how he's handled the film's sensitive nature and how he's really put a spotlight on domestic violence. He has a domestic violence helpline in his Instagram bio, and his media around the movie has been very focused on what people can get out of it and the power it has to hopefully help people. But all the tiktoks are compilations of what he has said to promo it ends with Us, and what Blake has said, and they're making fun of Blake and they're saying he is perfect. What he has said is not perfect, And I would just read just one little bit. Basically, what I'm trying to do is stress test if you wanted to tear apart what he says, you could. Yeah, well, if you wanted to tear apart what anyone was to say on the publicity trail of a movie about domestic violence, which is an incredibly serious, incredibly urgent topic, then when they answer a question about anything frivolous or engage with you know, any fun chat, you could say they're not taking it seriously enough, Like that's just a trap everyone would fall into, exactly, And in a Red Carpet interview, he said.
Speaker 1: If a Lily Bloom in real life, consider in this theater and maybe make a different choice.
Speaker 5: For herself and was made for her.
Speaker 2: Maybe she sees.
Speaker 1: Herself on that screen and chooses something different for herself.
Speaker 2: Would we say abusive relationships are something you choose for yourself? Like that, I'm just saying that is the That is the non gracious interpretation of what he said. Yeah, although I also understand the reading that he is a man who has form in this. He's been talking about toxic masculinity for a lot of years. He's got that podcast. I actually do think he comes across really well in interviews, Like I understand the sympathy that people have for him, and in fact, the more I look at it, the more I'm just like, it's creative differences. Yeah, and I think that happens on a lot of projects. What's interesting to me is that they could not resolve resolve them even to the point of being able to sit next street. Yeah. Yeah. Moving on to Blake Lively, it goes without saying that Blake Lively is an actor known for Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Gossip Girl and The Town and the Town and the Shark One, which was one of my favorites, The Shallows. I have seen it more than once. Yeah. Yeah, No, that was a great because she's on a rock and that's the The shark is what can only be described as stalking her, as we know sharks do, yeah, waiting waiting for her to fall in to swim back. She's isolated. Now the shark does have the taste of blood on its tongue, and then I think there's an incident with a seagull. It's honestly the real of her best work. Yeah, no, it is. It's fantastic. Yeah, the shark is really the villain. Okay, the villain. Yeah. She is a fashion icon and it's married to Ryan Reynolds, and she's a bit of a business mogul. Is she She had Betty's Buzz, which was like a kind of soda company, and now that's Betty's Booth and we'll get to that. Okay, okay, because that's interesting that she's got a soda company because Scarlett Johansson, who is Ryan Reynolds's also was into fizzy waters. And you know you've been doing this podcast. She was into fizzy water because remember she chose it over charity. You can hear that now episode about Scarlett Johansson. Okay, that's a weird amount of knowledge. Okay. When it comes to promo for It Ends with Us, Blake Lively is having a bloody choka okay now uncomfortable interviews. In an Instagram video promoting It Ends with Us, Lively says, it ends with us is in theaters now, so it's not funny. So grab your friends. Were your urals and head out to see it in theaters now?
Speaker 6: So grab your friends, where are your florals?
Speaker 3: And to see it.
Speaker 2: I don't see a problem with that. People thought that was the only man. I'm only laughing because of the tiktoks that have come since. I'm actually laughing because pajamas and they're like, put on your pajamas, come and see this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They did one fishing Lier's list and I was like, okay, right, all right, I get it. Yeah there, which I think it's worth noting that, like we really don't analyze that much. It's like, look at Oppenheimer. They were like Barbieheimer and I was like, they nearly blew up the world. That's what that film is about. Y impending I killed a lot of people. Yeah, which they I loved that film. But wow did they skirt over Hiroshima? Yeah? Yeah, you didn't look at Killian Murphy and think, oh, why is he telling jokes when he's playing a guy who did Hiroshima. It wasn't the whole promo how hot he was. Yeah, and they were like Barbieheimer. Yeah, I was like no, literally, like still in the universe, they're Michols. This was not a good thing. So it's just a sympathetic take on the man who invented the nuclear bomb if you really think about it. Yeah, And I just think standards very different for stories told by women versus stories told by men. But anyway, people thought the whole Floral thing was a bit insensitive considering its movie about domestic violence. Now I understand she's in a tricky spot because she clearly she's like, I get the subject matter of what we've made, but I want people to go to the movies and see it. So it needs to be a fun summer flick. Yeah, and the genre of it ends with us. The book was almost marketed as like not a rom com because it's not comedy but commercial women's fiction or yeah whatever, It wasn't dark romance. That's not how very intentional in terms of market if you look at the cover. Yeah, and I think you did that on purpose, because I think there's a clever analysis of the fact that getting people in thinking it's a love story and then it turning out to be something very different but domestic violence situations. To think that people you meet a monster and they're a monster immediately is not giving women enough credit. Like often it does start as what feels like a romantic love story and then it descends into something really sinister, and that's the point of the film. I think it was originally meant to come out on Valentine's Day, yeah, and then right yeah. So I think that maybe that's a little bit of a sign of some of the bubbling tension about how they were going to market and sell this film, whether it was a fun, girly movie or if it needed to be treated very differently because of the subject matter. Now, Blake Lively has been criticized a lot for this particular interview.
Speaker 4: Most of us, if we're lucky enough to run into a celebrity in public, we only have a few moments to maybe speak with you guys. But for people who see this movie, who relate to the topics of this movie on a deeply personal level, they're really going to want to talk to you. This movie is going to affect people, and they're going to want to tell you about their life. So if someone understands the themes of this movie comes across you in public and they want to really talk to you, what's the best way for them to be able to talk to you about this? How would you recommend they go about it?
Speaker 6: Like asking for my address or my phone number, or.
Speaker 4: Like my location share. I could just location share you and then we could I'm just curs social security number. I'm a virgos.
Speaker 3: I'm like, are we telling logistics?
Speaker 6: Are we talking emotionally?
Speaker 2: All right? In black Liveley's defense, it's a weird question. I could try and answer that question. Well, the question doesn't make sense. And this is the thing. Has she been snipping interviews? Yes, where the question is bad? Also, yes, I don't know what you're trying to ask her? Too many words? Write them down. I think that the correct answer, And I don't think it's fair to watch an interview and then say what the correct answer was. But the correct answer was. Here are some great domestic violence help lines. He's not what he asked, he didn't say. Where would you tell them to go, he asked. He said, if they approach you in public, yea, what would you say? Yeah, which I think is a gotcha because what are you meant to say? I think you meant to say.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I understand that a lot of people are going to resonate with this film and just say like, I'm always happy to talk to people, blah blah blah, but there are some amazing services. Like a lot of these questions, they're designed as a bit of a gotcha. Yes, But I do think given the subject matter, I think maybe having a default response. Have you seen the rest of that interview? Because that clip that you just played has been going viral. Yeah, and if you extend it, she gives out exact answer okay, but no one shows you that because that makes it look like she's like making fun of the question. Domestic violence victims yeap, a response she's given a few times is a bit of a diversion of the subject matter of the movie. At the London premiere, she said, this movie covers domestic vie balance, but what's important about this movie is that she's not just a survivor, and she's not just a victim. While those are huge things, they're not her identity. She defines herself, and I think it's deeply empowering to remind people that no one can define you, no experience can define you. You define yourself again. That is the kind of thing that can be interpreted whichever way you want to interpret it, depending on that. There are domestic violence survivors who have said that they're upset by that. Really, yeah, that are like, I didn't choose to be defined by this. Like basically, depending on whether you're frustrated by her, whether you're not, you can read it. It's a Rosa's test. Rasch ak yeah, rauschak test. I can never say it, but they are the tests where yea, they see a donkey, a penist, yeah, depending on you, and a lot of people blake saying a penis yeah, but I think you're a donkey. She's worn a lot of florals, and at the New York premiere she wore a Vina name Is Blos wearing flows. She a vintage Vasatchi gown that Britney Spears originally wore in two thousand and two. She told people at the event it is Britney's actual dress and that it was a direct nod to Britney Spears because her song every Time is in the movie. People have been a bit snippy about that, like, oh, we're making it about Britney Spears and how we love Britney Spears and her dresses and blah blah blah. One had to wear a dress, she had to wear a dress, she had to wear something. She had to wear a dress with Floral. Her Name'szi Bloom. She ye, yeah, it's only so many dresses with Floral's. One promotional clip has her giggling with her co stars about zodiac signs. Another has her talking about wearing her own clothes in the movie so she must exclusively yes, and another has her talking about the music. Basically, her interviews have been very very light in terms of the music. She was asked about a Lana del Rey song that plays in the film, and she says, they begged me to take that song out of the movie. I like the of the word they I'm not supposed to be talking about this, but they felt like it was too charged and heavy and things were still good with Ryle at that point, And she goes on to explain why she thought it was a good choice, just interesting because you can see the creative tensions. Yeah, because they is Justin. It is and I blocked they on Instagram. Yeah, Blake, we know. Yeah. Well, when she's asked directly about Baldoni, which she has been a few times, she deflects. For example, Blake talk to.
Speaker 4: Me about building trust with Justin, which I imagine would be crucial when filming some of those more difficult personal scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, this movie was was such a challenge because you know, you have the scenes that are you know, deeply painful and traumatic and physical, but you also have scenes that are full of levity and light and romance. And normally when I see this type of character like Ryle on screen, you know what's going to happen, and you're like, ah, that guy's full of red flags.
Speaker 2: But like, you know, so she doesn't acknowledge him at all. Something that I have seen said about Blake Lively, which is true. It is not a value judgment, but it is she likes to list things, so she likes to be like her character is and then list seventeen shrakes.
Speaker 6: Beauty and youth and hard work and determination and strength. And she was in touch with her sexuality and her a story that's emotional and it's fun and it's funny, and it's painful, and it's scary and it's tragic and it's inspiring.
Speaker 2: A lot of people do. Yeah. It's a way of filling time without saying much, because there would be a lot that she can't talk about or she doesn't want to, and she's just got to fill the five minutes with that particular person. I get it. Answering the same questions, Jesse, there are some amazing parodies of Blake Lively on this press tour.
Speaker 4: What was it like working with Justin Baldoni bald? No, my husband, Ryan Reynolds is not bald but he did. We write the script during the writer stray, why is it important for people to see this movie in a theater? Because community is so important. I want the movie theater to feel like one big dance party with your girls. I mean, what's a more fun song to dance to than My Tears?
Speaker 2: Ricochet?
Speaker 4: What would you like audiences to take away from such a serious and sensitive film?
Speaker 2: Flowers Say what you like about her, but the marketing has objectively on any spreadsheet, according to anyone worked, So what of that worked for her? Or worked for the film. Isn't there only one way it can work? Well, I don't I think for people to go to the cinemas to see the film. Yes, and people have gone to the cinemas to see the film she made about domestic violence. I have not known as many people to decide to go to the theater for a long time as I have in the last two weeks. So whatever Blake's doing, even if she's wearing dresses and answering questions, however, she's made people go to the movies, which is her job. She also has tried to sell her mother things. Ah, let's talk about cross promo. People think it's insensitive that Lively appears to be using it Ends with Us to promote her other business ventures. She launched Blake Brown her hair care line on Instagram. While on the It Ends with Us press tour, she also did a crossover event with her drinks company, Betty Buzz, which she tied into the movie with a Betty Blooms theme, and she posted about it. You know what, I actually find the Betty Buzz Blooms slightly more uncomfortable than anything to do with hair, because if we're talking about domestic violence and alcohol. Well, yes, I think the most uncomfortable part is that during an after party for the it MS with Us premiere, she decided to promote her drinks company by setting up an entire themed event centered around our alcohol and cocktail names relating to the film Jesse, Yeah, cocktails. Okay, so that is like the caption of the Instagram post, these are the cocktails. We have a blooming Betty Rile. You wait, it ends with buzz Tom Colleen's I don't get it. I guess like Colleen Hoover. Oh yeah yeah. Or if you need something a little easier, that's just as tasty, pick up a buzzy mocktail. Yeah see, I was listening to something recently. A researcher on domestic violence and the relationship between alcohol and domestic violence can't be denied. I wouldn't be naming a cocktail after Ryal. Yes. There were a lot of comments that said things like, what a gross way to exploit a movie about domestic violence. People with alcohol issues are six times more likely to abuse their partners. Promoting a film with such a powerful DV theme with an alcohol brand is disappointing and disrespectful. The other cross promo element is that she's really we in Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool. So yeah, she's just trying to do Barberheimer. Yes, people have accused her of exactly that. Reynolds appeared in a skit where he jokingly interviewed Blake Lively's love interest in the movie Atlas. Yeah, the guy who plays Atlas, and it's just very I don't know. I guess my question is do we need any more Ryan Reynolds content for a project? He is not directly say what you like about the man, but they are number one. Okay, everyone's talking about Deadpool, Wolf Wolverine. Is that one? Yeah? Two? Yes, which is Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman, and that's number one. And then it ends with us as number two. No, no, no, no, it ends with us has overtaken the opening weekend Deadpool one. Okay. I heard Blake say something about it. So anyway, they've been the top two, right, and they're trying to have another Barbiekheimer moment and everyone's like, yeah, but this movie is too serious again Oppenheimer drop a nuclear bomb? Yes, yes, great that he went for four hours and it was set somewhere where it was all these scientists being like, I don't think we should create this, and then then it'll be in the world. See it after Barbie or before, get yourself a cocktail, have some popcorn, Barbie Heimer, where you pink that man killed hundreds of thousands of people. They needed to make laws where they said, don't we know we made it, But just because you can doesn't mean you should. Jesse an awkward moment from twenty sixteen. In the midst of all of this, an interview from twenty sixteen has gone viral, which is the most Internet thing about all of this? Is it? Then we start dredging up? Hey, what about other times when Blake Lively has been less than ideal. Norwegian journalist Kirsty Flaher shared an interview she did with Lively during promo for the film Cafe Society, which is a Woody Allen film. Yeah, I've watched this interview for Yeah. Well, let's just drop the fact it's a Woody Allen film. We'll leave that, but we have stated it FA like Scardro you need to spend some time with our Scar Joe Cancel episode in private. I will I will. Fla said the interview made me want to quit my job. The interview opens with her congratulating Lively on her little bump, referring to her pregnancy, which Blake had announced Yep, she was like quite pregnant, to which Lively congratulated Fla, who was not pregnant, on her little bump. Then Flaw asks about the costumes worn in the film, and Lively seems offended and questions whether the interviewer would ask the same thing of the men in the film. The interviewer has now done press of her own talking about that interview and said, basically, I still don't get why she was offended that I mentioned her pregnancy. So a lot of the commentary is saying that posey Parker, who's a woman next to her, was also rude. I didn't think she was rude. I thought that she was trying to salvage the interview. No, I thought both of them were rude.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they spoke to each other instead of to the interviewer. Yeah, but I thought that that was posy Parker kind of trying to make up for I thought that she was doing damage control. I think if you watch it again, you can see it through the prism of she knows the situation is uncomfortable, and she's trying to kind of plicate both of them. I don't know, but the interviewer has also said she still doesn't understand why Blake Lively was upset about the costume question. It's very normal to ask yeah about costumes. Yeah, look, I don't think Blake was her best self in that interview. I think she would agree, And I thought, oh, this is Baldoni's pr team, Yeah, doing a little dig. But then I went back and realized that that interviewer just decided to share that footage for the first time. Yeah, I don't even think she was fully aware of how much this moment already was hating on Blake, and then she released that to be like, I've had a terrible experience with a celebrity interview, and then she ruined blake'slast yes whoops. Well, onto theories. The vibe is Paul maligned Baldoni. He just wanted to make a movie about domestic violence, and now all these horrible, annoying women have made it about frivolous things. Don't you hate women? That seems to be the situation. Yeah, and go and see the film with your golfriends. In your florals, get the message, shed a tear and then walk out and go. But that Blake Lively is a bitch, and I think that that is a message of the film. Blake Lively's a bitch and Colleen who is siding with the wrong person about her own work. But that Justin Baldoni what a bloke. Slow clap for the only man in the jesse. This is like the TikTok that's just been going viral, and it's a compilation of Justin Baldoni doing press versus Blake Lively doing press. Oh great a compilation. There's never any bias in her that. No, it's not like you intentionally choose particular moments and then put music over it. This is your night, mister.
Speaker 5: No, this isn't my night.
Speaker 1: This is a night for all the women who we made this movie for. This is a night for Blake. This is so much.
Speaker 5: And when you're touched and moved by something like as deeply as I was by this book, it just kind of comes naturally. Yes, this is a movie about love and hope, but that we don't shy away from the issue.
Speaker 6: It is for Saucy Dress two thousand and two. The butterfly dress.
Speaker 2: It meant so much to me because of.
Speaker 4: What she meant she was So.
Speaker 2: You have to admit the note about Blake Lively listening things. She does like to list an adjective, which is fine. It's not an observation, not a crime, not in the book, not in the book. Okay, fair Lazy Girls, we have another Lazy Girl giveaway and this time we're giving away five GHD styling tools. We've got three GHD Jewet styles and two GHD Jewet blow drys up, which I am so excited to try. I've tried the Jewet style and I actually have one and it is the best straightener hair tool I own. Both tools take your hair from wet to styled with one tool and no heat damage, which is a laser girl's stream. Because who has a time or energy for brushing, blow drying, straightening, and or curling. I do not know a single lazy girl who actually knows how to blow dry her own hair. It can't be done. All you need to do to enter all current and future Lazy Girl giveaways is to subscribe to Mumma Maya. It is one simple step. As always, we have a discount code for the laser girls. That's what they need sometimes to get them over the line. The code is lazy hair for twenty percent off. There's a link in the show notes that will automatically apply the code if you are too lazy to type it. If you are yet to be convinced, let me tell you that last week a lazy girl did just one job in a whole week, and it was that she became a subscriber. And guess what happened to her. She won a trip for two to Turkey, so it was worth it. The prize draw is on the tenth of September. Teas and seas apply. I already wrote mine down. I got me to go first. Ye, my charge begins in an unlikely place, which is a result of at Google search. The earliest species of the Homo genus appeared around two million to one point four million BCE. Current evidence supports modern Homo sapiens appearing around nineteen thousand BCE. What I am trying to say is that humans have been around for a bit, right, Yeah, Blake Lively in particular, her crime is clear and that is existing at the precise same moment. That's TikTok, which has been around for only maybe eight years, but really only five. Yeah, so the chances of Blake lively overlapping with TikTok very unlike MM and yet it's some bad luck. Also another crime. We all get snippy in our jobs, Claire, when I was pregnant, the amount of times I nearly yelled loudly, mind you, I hate your face to literal strangers. I felt so angry. I was not proud of who I was. I was shiny in the face. It's not relevant. My back hurt. Everyone kept telling me my life was about to get shit, and I was like, everyone, fuck right off. Blake got snippy in front of the camera, which is a shame because the camera was recording. And in her defense, she was pregnant. She was pregnant, she was shitty. She's like, oh, congratulations on my bump. I hate you and everyone. Yeah, yeah, why am I working? I'm tired. Her bump was fairly little. She probably still in the I need to vomit stage, still in the I need sixteen hours sleep and I'm still shitty stage. Yeah. True, and no one's talking about that. My sentence, you can't get sniffy with strangers, only with people who love the unconditionally. Okay, so get sniffy with Ryan, get snippy with you can use some sess. I think he could too, because Wolverine is going well, he needs to be knocked down a peg. Yes, and that's why I treat you like shit. Yeah, you might have noticed. We just yelled at each other during our pregnancies to save everyone else from bearing the brunt of unhinged emotion. You should be able to hire someone to be snippy. Yes, actually during pregnancy that should be a gift. Oh I'm pregnant and then you go HI and hire someone what for You'll see You'll see, oh what just so much to talk to? Yeah, but you can say anything anything. I hate your face. Yeah, and we don't do it to Norwegian journalists, not when there's a camera rolling. No, absolutely not, Jesse. So your sentences, hire someone, hire someone to be a bit to it without a camera rolling, because I don't know. She's been pregnant like four times. Yeah, it's just a lot of times to be pregnant. I don't know if that was two, three, four. She's tired, she's shitty. Mm. She didn't want you to see that interview. I don't think. No, I don't think so either, Jesse. My vibe is this. I think this whole story is such good evidence of how much we love to hate a woman. That's so we love it, and this all going viral. It's just people being like, oh, yes, I've been waiting to hate Blake Lively ever since gossip Girl, not ever since Gossip Girl, ever since Sisterhood of the Trailing Pass Rag Unfinished. Just before Yeah, I had my ray Gun moment. Yeah, that was dying off. I felt it. I felt the momentum. Yeah, because the Olympics are over, so just so hating on ray Gun felt a little over the top. Yeah. Then just as that was dipping. Oh it's a new person to hate. Yeah, yeah, so we hate Blake. I think this is the kind of thing where, six months down the track, we're gonna look at it and think, hold on, hold on, why were we so mad? Were we mad because Blake Lively wasn't fully serious enough, didn't answer questions in the right way given she was in a movie about domestic violence. I think the sting of this is going to pass very quickly. Yes, and we'll think that was a wild time, a little bit over the top, But the thing about cancel culture is we'll kind of realize that, but everyone will still feel a bit funny about Blake for reasons they can't quite articulate. Yeah, and they'll keep bringing up the old stuff because they keep going she stole Ryan from Sky Joe Plantation wedding. By the way, if those things, they're ringing a bell and you need your context. Blake Lively, our canceled episode on Blake Lively one of the most listened to ever, which I will say is telling go listen to that. Yeah, and then we've also got a Ryan Reynolds episode, so listen to that in the back catalog. We'll have links in our show notes if you need to know all of the context. We don't have Justin because he's just not that. He's just not that. Let's just say, if it was just Justin doing the primo, I wouldn't be watching that movie this weekend. Yeah. True. Anyway, So my charge is basically, guys, you just want to takee a woman and my sentences guys, chill, Actually everybody chill, really yeah, chill. But then what are we meant to do on TikTok? That's the thing, isn't it is that it's still fun. We need to do things on TikTok. Yeah, often people run out. I wonder if this has broken a record for the amount of content about the same thing. Probably anyway, in the rule book it's been added. Guys, enough, now chill before we go. We have a lazy girl story from Reagan. Ah, she said, Jessy, is it that Reagan. No, that's a different one. It's not going to the Olympics. Is not a very laser girl. No, there is no lazy girl in our community who has made it to the Olympic. True. Ah, maybe Reagun Sorry continue, No, Hi, girls. I drive a car from twenty eleven, and at some point there was a recall because apparently it's quite easy to break into. I've received dozens of letters from the car manufacturer letting me know that I can stop buy a local dealership to get a free part to prevent my car from being broken into. Have I gone to pick up the part?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Is the dealership literally an eight minute drive from my house and right by the grocery shop I go to weekly. Yes, eight minutes. We'll just keep hoping no one wants to steal my thirteen year old car. Instead love Reagan. She's a lazy girl. Okay. So I had a similar experience to this, not my car. Didn't own a car Rory's car, and it was actually more of a safety issue in the air bag was faulty, and so you could take it and get it fixed. So what you've given me car company, you've given me a job. It's a job. I get a little joy from it. Just because it's free, doesn't mean I want to do it. No, your it sounds like a U problem. That sounds like a U problem. On what I need is for you to pick up the car, take it, get it fixed, bring it back to me without any inconvenience on a day I don't need my car. I just think Reagan's a bit like well my thoughts. Sometimes I walk away from my car and I go, did I lock it? And I go? Even if I didn't? One seems hard to steal a car. Yeah, nothing valuable in it. So I think Reagan is just doing a cost benefit analysis and she's like, the benefits of making sure my car locks aren't that great. Aren't that great when you don't have any valuables? I mean, the car is valuable, but you know it needs a new part. That's what insurance is for. I feel like she should just put a note in the car being like steal it, but no, it comes with the job, and that is that you have just broken into it because I haven't got the part that makes it lot. And so if you truly believe that you can go and do that job, steal it and no one will steal it. Claire, do you remember there was a recall on a car that mum used to drive, and it said, and this is the thing. I think cars with recalls are a lazy girl's kryptonite because they didn't do any research of it, and so they just go, all right, fine, I'll get that car anyway. Mum gets this shit a box of a car and I'm in the car with her and it's thirty five degrees and we're like, yeah, yeah, recall, like what, we didn't even read the fine bring no. And I was finishing my makeup and she went inside to do something and I was still sitting there and it was getting pretty hot in the car, and I was like, I'm just going to open the door. It's getting pretty hot. And then I was like, oh shit, I'm locked in now. People are going to say you can unlock it from the inside.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: No, this was why there was a recall, because you can't unlock it from the inside. Yeah, what did I do? He smashed the winter I'm quick to panic. You decided you were a baby in a hot car. I did, and you needed to. I've actually never panicked so much my whole life. I couldn't see the solution. I got really hot in like twenty seconds. I was like, we're talking, I'm melting. I'm so hot, I'm actually sweating. And then I was like, there's no one around, and there wasn't. We were in the blistering heat in the middle of summer and there was no one around, and they'd all gone into this thing, a social thing that was going to happen for an hour. And I was like, there, come back, and I'm just not here anymore. So I tried to punch the glass and I couldn't. I tried to kick it, couldn't. At this point, I was like, I'm aloud of my tears and I'm really tired and hot and dehydrated. At this point three if it had been three, it'd been like forty five seconds, And I was like, what one of them came out to just see you standing outside the car and you smashed wind. Do you know how I smashed the window? You grab something heavy. So I was looking everywhere because I was like, there's nothing here. And then under the seat I found a steel water bottle and then I banged it and banged it. Do you offer to pay? No? No, no, no no, because I was like, this car is faulty, and so I went bang bang bang. And there was an issue too. I think I tried to beat the horn, but you couldn't beat the horn, and I think that was another product. Couldn't beat the horn with the car off, I'm gang it. But the most embarrassing beard was as I was crawling through the broken window and there was glasses everywhere. Is this the couple walked past, I was like the ring. I was with the ring crawling out because I was wet, you know, when you know you look panicked. So I walked out and I was just like standing on the thing, and they were like, oh my goodness, what happened? And I was like nothing. And then everyone in this event where they were like, I think your car got broken into and I was like, yeah, mom, the car's been broken into Jesse, why do you have blood on your shins from climbing out a car windows? I don't know. Ah, Anyway, I'm alive ready, top Tail. That's all we've got time for on today's episode of Canceled. And before you go, please leave us a review. We got inundated with reviews alleging that I gave up my dog and I can't tell you how untrue that is and how random and how random I still have my rescue dog. Honestly, those reviews ruined my days. Want to lead some positive reviews about true things, such as I love my dog and I feed her twice a day. Please do so, And we have links to all of those other episodes in our show notes. The executive producer of Canceled is Toelyissa Bizaz, with audio editing by Tomline. And we'll be back next week. Bye bye,