Speaker 1: The information in this podcast is provided for education and research information only.
Speaker 2: It is not a substitute for professional health advice. If you're trying to get pregnant, or you are pregnant and you feel a little bit overwhelmed by all you need to know, then this is the right podcast for you. Welcome to the show. I'm Bridget Maloney.
Speaker 1: And I'm obstetrician doctor Patrick Maloney, and this is the kick your expert led podcast that delivers the essentials of growing a baby. Make sure you head to our website grown mybaby dot com dot au to get some moreesome free tools like our pregnancy knowledge checker to help you feel like you got this.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone. I'm Bridgid Maloney.
Speaker 1: And I'm obstetrician doctor Patrick Maloney.
Speaker 2: And but we're doing it like a three partter series, except we started part one like two years ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, good few.
Speaker 2: So this is we're going to do all the postpartum symptoms.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Like we did all the early pregnancy symptoms.
Speaker 2: And then all the late pregnancy symptoms. And this is like closing that loop which all the postpartum symptoms.
Speaker 1: Well done us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's a lot and you know, this. This is a time that I don't think is spoken about really enough. A lot of people spend a lot of time learning the information about pregnancy about birth, and then we get a lot of I wish somebody had told me. We cover all of this in our Grow My Baby program, so people, and in probably greater depth. But you know, all the people in that program should know these but we want, you know, it's really nice to have this in your back.
Speaker 1: Pocket somewhere during the excitement of the later stage that the pregnancy had been a really good idea for people to concentrate in on for just a moment, on the post partum first, say, six weeks, and what to expect in that time, because it really can be a surprise to poople on something they haven't really considered.
Speaker 2: And we're only going to cover issues for the birthing person. You know, there's maybe it's another episode we talk about the postpartum for dads. Yes, and this isn't about newborns.
Speaker 1: Don't know just about symptoms for month, symptoms for month A.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm going to start with the most obvious one. Vaginal bleeding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, proceed, proceed, Okay, So you know vaginal bleeding after baby is normal and it's said that it should probably go. It's normal for it to go for six weeks. I think within the you know that six weeks is kind of an arbitrary cutoff. But what we like to see is there's a bit less with every passing week that it's never at any point it's too heavy. And what's too heavy I think that means a lot of bright red blood. It means large cloths. Yeah, and it shouldn't be associated with other symptoms like if you've got a lot of vaginal bleeding and you've got a fever, then that can be an infection within the uterus. And then you know, other things we look at when we sort of work out how much is too much and are we concerned is you know, what was the woman's hemoglobin like in late pregnancy and how much blood was lost with the birth. So, for example, if someone came into the pregnancy the end of the pregnancy a bit leaned hemoglobin, a bit iron deficient, and then had a birth where they lost a lot of blood, I might be much more cold instead of how much bleeding that woman was having over the subsequent six weeks. Whereas someone came in with a eriton of three hundred and a hemoglobin of one hundred and forty one. They've got a bit to spare.
Speaker 2: Those levels that you just said, are they the normal, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Someone who's really iron replete. Yeah, maybe someone that had had an infusion about two thirds away through the pregnancy. But I'm just making a point that it depends on how much to spare. So the trick here is that it's a normal process, normal bleed, but we need to keep an eye on us. If the patient's concerned, we can check emoglobin, we can check iron stores, and we can make sure that there's nothing funny going on that's making the bleeding worse. And the two big ones I guess are infection and retain products. A little bit of the placenta left behind that can that can cause the uterus to not be able to clamp down fully and continue to bleed.
Speaker 2: That's actually on my list, so we might as well cover that now. So retain products. We've done a podcast on Plus Center on the placenter, so we covered it there. But that's what people would notice the is it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it presents as heavy bleeding usually Yeah, and that can also be fever and you know, your local friendly obstetrici knows that that's a possibility, reviews the birth notes as a look and sees that the midwife has dutifully examined the placenta after it came out. But they were concerned that maybe when they tried to sort of arrange the placenta like a jig saw to make the big pie shape, that a bit was missing. And they asked, they asked around, and everyone said no, no, no, it all seemed to be there, but maybe it wasn't. And then we go and do an ultrasound. When you do an ultrasound, it's an important point. When you do an ultrasound in the early postpartum period. Everyone's uterus looks like there's suff still in it. Oh, really okay, because the uterus is swollen and the lining is indistinct, and there's blood in there, and it kind of looked. Everyone's uterus looks abnormal, and everyone's looks like there might be still something in it, and everyone's looks like nothing like that the uterress of a non pregnant woman. And so we need the skills of a good sonographer to say, no, that's a normal picture versus no, there's clearly something still in there. Every obstetrician in the world is can someone to theater or retain products only to find nothing in there? And that's a that's an you know that happens, but it's an imaging imaging quality issue. And and everyone has taken someone to theater out of desperation when someone won't stop bleeding or has a persistent fever, swearing that the uterus is empty on scan and has found something in it. So we have to have what we call a high index of suspicion just even if the scan looks fine, sometimes just need to have a look.
Speaker 2: And I remember hearing correct me if I'm wrong, But the blass center coming off the wall of the uterus is about the size of a plate. As the uterus is shrinking down, obviously the plate gets smaller, but like it's like a wound, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's a there's a when the placenta is just disengaged, the internal wall of the uterus is is flashy and red, and the uterus has to be to clamp down to stop all that area bleeding.
Speaker 2: I also want to add my mom tip that when I was breastfeeding and i'd get the milk let down. I'd also have a bleed.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's normal too, Yeah, yeah, but it.
Speaker 2: Comes as a bit of a shock, and if you're not prepared and you don't have the proper sort of pad on like you know, you think, oh my god, damn, I've done it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's normal, and I guess that's one of nature's ways of making sure that everyone doesn't have a postpartum hemorrhage. Is there's a reflex between the breast and the uterus, and when the baby's on the breast, the uterus will contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which also is a postpartum symptom. I'm going to say. It does hurt, So it hurts, yeah, and it hurt more the more babies I had, right, yep, all right, vaginal bleeding crossing that off. Mood swings, yeah yeah. We've talked about baby blues with doctor Kylie McKenzie in the Mental Health Good podcast, but it's worth mentioning here, of course.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously, mood changes after the birth are I guess near universal. Is it a hormonal effect from the placenta leave anybody? Yes? Is it a Is it our brain's reaction to a massive change in our life. Yes, is it the result of pain and sleep deprivation. Yes, you're going to get some You're going to get mood changes, You're going to get some sudden changes from one to the other. And I guess it's probably best looked at it as a normal phenomenon. So I think it's important that we also have a look at the so called red flags, and those are those are features of postpartum life that are kind of that are not normal or correlate highly with diagnosed post pund depression. And the things that we really look at there are people who have persistent lowered mood, persistent anxiety, persistent feelings that things will never improve, thoughts of self harm or suicide, or thoughts of harming the baby, and they are those things are sort of considered well beyond the boundaries of the normal ups and downs of the postpartum process, and we identify those people and helping them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the more that we talk about it, the more that it normalizes that it's not anything that person has done, you know, it's just something that needs to be supported.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And the development of postal depression is our contemporary understanding of that is that it's you know, it's a hormonal event on top of a pre existing probably genetic predisposition towards that illness as well.
Speaker 2: Yep, I want to talk about night sweats, which is a postpartum symptom. I had more with my first than any other, and they are just like waking up in a pull of sweat. It was just so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, often experienced at the time of the onset of lactation, and really quite dramatic. It's a good idea for people to have a thermometer at home when you've got a baby, because you want to be able to check the baby's temperature. But there's an important difference between the sort of night sweats you might get if you've got really full breasts versus the versus a fever. Yeah, and if you've got an ordinary sticking in your ear thermometer, you'll be able to tell a difference.
Speaker 2: Another just it just reminded me when when you said breastfeeding that I would actually start sweating when I was breastfeeding with my first, not not subsequent, but with my first, and it was a very slippery affair. I'd be sweating, there'd be milk everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so uncomfortable, So that's I mean, it's normal, but but I guess uncomfortable, but important to distinguish it from from a fever pausing sweats.
Speaker 2: Another very common symptom after the first couple of days of birth is constipation, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely Lots of people are constipated when they're pregnant anyway, hormonal effect. Maybe they're on constipating medications like on denceitron for nausea. Iron iron absolutely, absolutely iron. And then and then they go and have the baby, and we give them pain relief, often consisting of paracetamol and codeine in various doses, constipating, they lose bloods, will give my mind, constipating, and and we wonder why they get constipated. Yeah, and then then the other thing that happens straight after birth is there is there's relative immobility for a few days, which a lot of us feel in our bolts. And then there's a issue for some of us that our bowels work much better if with a daily stimulus like caffeine, which might be less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we.
Speaker 1: Don't want anyone to smoke, but if smokers will often notice I can action between nicotine and their bowels. Yeah, and of course they're not smoking. So every common to have bow upset and in that postpartum period, that's super common.
Speaker 2: Can I say another potential cause, and that's fear, like you know, a fear of fear pushing, and especially if you've had a paraneal tear and needed stitches or whatever like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and unquestionably if you've had a third degree to it, that actually involves the animal sphincter. Because even though we want people to have confidence in the repairs that we've done, going and doing a bowel motion is a big vote of confidence in the in the sphincter repair. Yeah, absolutely, all of that is is vital. So in that sort of scenario where there's a lot of stitches, in particular third degree tear stitches, we're not going to wait for the constipation happen. We're going to treat it in advance with still softeners and so forth. I think there's also a phenomenon too that that an advanced pregnancy, you know, a term pregnancy, puts all of the bowel under a fair bit of pressure compression, and then suddenly you take all that away, And I think the bow is a bit floppy for a while and doesn't get back all of its original tone, and that that can just take a little bit of time as well.
Speaker 2: I think too that once you've had the baby, you all of a sudden eating things perhaps you haven't been eating for a while, like cheesus, and like maybe meals are just too big also, like you just I found that was my little tip as I was becoming more experienced at the old post birth. Just eat eat small meals. And you know, I made sure that I had lots of fruit. And Yeah, the.
Speaker 1: People I concentrate on the most in a preventative way, people who have had a degree tear or even a large second degree tear, and people have had caesarian section, because like any operation, upset your boughs. Yeah, when we open the belly to do with Caesar, there's there's very rarely any bough, any small bough sitting between the car and the uterus. It's normally open the tummy and the first thing you see is the uterus. But as the operation, once you get the baby in the placenta out, the uterus shrinks right back down and bow that's above the uterus sneaks its way into the field of view, and the way we get that out of the road is to get some wet packs and sort of pack that bowl away so we can concentrate on safely closing up the uterus without hitting bow. And that touching of the bow causes the bow to go on strike for about a day, so no surprises that surgery causes temporary impairment a bow function as well.
Speaker 2: This is kind of a given. Unfortunately, swollen or painful breasts, even if you're not breastfeeding, you know, there's a time that they're swollen and painful.
Speaker 1: Absolutely yep. So if we're going to if someone really doesn't want to breastfeed for whatever reason, it's a good idea to give those medications that stops the breast, stops the breast milk before the breasts get really full and terribly painful. Otherwise fullness and painfulnes is going to be part of the initiation of lactation needs, needs support, pain relief support, and lactation advice to get the baby on get a good balance between baby's needs and breast production.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and something that we know through the clinic is that we've got it sort of like in tandem people see the lactation consultant and the physiotherapist that does ultrasound for mastitis and crack nipples and painful sort of breast So you know, there's definitely support there. You don't have to push through, like just reach out, like there's helplines as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, initial, the initial establishment of healthy breastfeeding is less intuitive than you think. Yeah, and you know, if you think of this from a sort of a darwinianffective, it should be easy, it should work every time, yeah a bit, but it doesn't. And and it's very common to need to malp yep.
Speaker 2: I should have probably talked about this moment. We talked about constipation. But hemorrhoids, Yeah, yeah, that's a that's a really common and nobody really wants to talk about they've got hemorrhoids.
Speaker 1: But no, so hemorrhoids are very very common. And again kind of normal pregnancy hormones dilate veins and you'll you know that can present as a hemorrhoid. People bring hemorrhoids to my attention. I want to know whether it's bleeding, whether it's drip drip dripping into the toilet bowl, or whether it's only causing a little spot on the toilet paper, and that sort of gives me an idea of how severe the situation is. But almost all of the time the treatment is a cream that combines cortizone to shrink it up a bit and local anesthetics. It hurts less and time and time. Yeah, there are operations for hemorrhoids, but as I spent a lot of times explaining to my patients, it's really only something that you would, in any sensible approach, only consider when you'd had all your babies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you get it fixed and it might come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. You don't want to go and see a general surgeon for a hemorrhoid actomy, which is a painful operation and an operation that is a little difficult to recover from, only to have another baby and all comes back. Yeah. I encourage people to be as as some patient as they possibly can, reassess the situation with their local doctor when their last baby has been born, and then lots of people, when they're not pregnant anymore, they'll go away, and a small number they'll persist, and those people should consider a surgical repair when they finished their family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to couple these two together, fatigue and trouble sleeping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're probably the same thing, aren't they. Yeah, so I'm fatigued that looking after a newborn is it is. It's not a full time job. It's three full time jobs. So it's three eight hour shifts in twenty four hours. It's constantly on the job. You'll get some sleep, but they it won't be it won't be a long it won't be the long rejuvenating sleeps that we like of six seven, eight hours. It'll be pits and starts with the baby when the baby's brand new and we want to help, we want that does it get into a better routine over weeks, But it doesn't happen over days, So so it's tiring. You'll be tired and then trouble sleeping. Yeah, that's just the disturbance, not only of the moor monal disturbance, it's also the massive, big deal it is for you as a person to suddenly have a baby and our brain needs to process that. And also it's because what our brain wants to do is got a bit about ten o'clock at night, sleep for eight hours. Yeah, and that's just maybe that's just not going to happen.
Speaker 2: I remember, you know, after the last I used to do a dream feed and then then I would have I would know that I needed to get back into bed, you know, after that ten thirty feet or whatever, I'd needed to get back into bed. But I did have trouble sleeping because I think there was a lot of sort of nighttime anxiety about well, how is my night going to go? Yeah, And it was self fulfilling prophecy because sometimes it went really badly. But I didn't have the sleep in the first place because I was too worried and wired about know how the night was going to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that pregnant or not. One of the main reasons why people get distressed with sleeplessness is they start thinking about how they manage tomorrow if they don't sleep. Yeah, And that creates its own anxiety and disturbance, and the thing acts as a bit of a vicious circle. Yeah. But you know, it's one of the reasons why we really really hope for people that are a reasonable routine can be established within weeks and not months. Yeah, but unfortunately not within days.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And people will say to sleep when the baby sleeps, but just sleep whenever you can.
Speaker 1: Whenever you can.
Speaker 2: You might want to do the housework or whatever. You might want to sit on your phone while the baby sleeps. Wrapped up with that pat like and just thinking about my nighttime anxiety. It was a bit of I would say hyper vigilance. You know, I was listening for baby noises.
Speaker 1: That's right. And it can depend whether the baby's in a separate room or in the in a creep in the room with you. But yeah, new the worst fear in new parent is that something might happen to the baby in that while they're asleep. And it's that hyper vigilance is I think something that we just all need to develop through time.
Speaker 2: And you know, if you've got even with our third and fourth, the baby was right next door and the doors were opened, but I still had a baby monitor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going to be too upset if we goodn't hear them from there exactly.
Speaker 2: Now, this is something that a lot of women talk about, you know, because I think it says a lot about the journey that they've been through.
Speaker 1: But it's hair loss, yep, Yeah, another presumably hormonal feature. Yeah, and the good news about that, the hair loss that happens there. It's not it's not like my hair loss. When when's talking about when mine's gone, it's gone. And but the normal hair loss that happens in the postpart and period for women, they'll come back. Yeah, if you didn't have some other reason dermatitis of the scale or whatever, or there are some genetic groups in the world where women get genetic hair loss. If you were like if you were like everybody else in a just shedding some hair befoend of hormonal reasons, it'll be back.
Speaker 2: There's I think pregnant women will. Postpartum women are targeted a little bit by all the shampoos that promise that it'll make your hair grow.
Speaker 1: Back, right, Yeah, are they? Well, well, I mean I think it's come back anyway, no matter what you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is something that we've done a podcast on before, but let's touch on it again, and that is urinary and fecal incontinence.
Speaker 1: It's so important. So the urinary incontinence following childbirth, in particular vaginal childbirth. It's not I hesitate to say it's normal because it's not normal tilek urine, but it's often assumed by the patient to be something that is permanent or necessarily needing treatment, and in those early days it may just be because the tissue has been really stretched, there's some residual hormonal effect. You might be holding onto a lot of fluid like you might be on an intravenous trip in the hospital and so forth, and it might just all settle right down because not that at all, and some people will never get their for you're an area function back again, super important that we involve pervic floor physiotherapists in the management in the management of this, and I think the perfect way to do that is to see pervic floor physiotherapists before you have the baby. Yeah yeah, So the exercises, it turns out the effective exercises as as proven by the peervict floor physios, not not gynecologists, not doctors, but the pelvic floor physios have led the way over the years determining through research which what works and what doesn't. They are not intuitive, then you don't you can't work them out yourself, and you can't learn them off a pamphlet. If a pelvic floor physiotherapist teaches you how to do it, and it's off a bit of a hands on affair. Then you will do them more reliably and they'll work more reliably.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So whether you're stressing continents of ring, its temporarial perm or long term, who cares, just do the exercises anyway. They won't do any harm. Yeah, and that's the way through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. I remember going to see Blinda, our physio at our clinic, and she did the abdominal ultrasound and I was doing what I thought was the pelvic floor exercise and I was actually bearing down rather than you know, where I needed to go. So that was so intuitive. So that bio feedback loop was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and what you thought was the right way to do it was not. And fecal incontinence, you shouldn't get fecal in continence, and persistent fecal incontinence after a baby suggest occult hidden damage to the to the anal sphincter. And we certainly see, we certainly see people who have had a third degree tear which was not identified as a third degree tear in the immediate postpartum examination. And some of those are from not noticing and some of those are from not looking. But so I encourage my junior Burghers. That's what I call my junior doctors who I'm in charge of teaching. You can have a proper look and and you know, if someone's got a you know, find someone who's got an epidural in ask them for permission to examine them and learn the technique of having a proper look and then apply that as gently as you can to every immediate postpartum woman you look after. Yeah, and if somebody has got a risk factor or a hidden third degree tear like a big baby, long labor vacuum or forces, even more important because the background risk is higher, and have a good look because we've got one shot at fixing that properly. Go to theater, proper block repair the sphincter works really well that that person will be continent and if we miss it, you don't get another shot at it. You can repair it later, but the results aren't as good.
Speaker 3: And is it with a colorectal surgeoncy, Yeah, So that person's going to be sent for public floor physiotherapy, which if the tear is bad enough, it won't work, and then they will have a trans transanal ultrasound and the trans anal ultrasound goes in the anus and takes an ultrasound in a big circle.
Speaker 1: And you can see the gap in the sphincter. You can see the whole that the tear. Yeah, that never healed. And then yeah, we use we use colorectal surgeons with an interesting perianal conditions to repair it well. But it's complicated, and it's long term, and it's irritating and invasive, and the results aren't as good as a primary repair done properly.
Speaker 2: I just want to pick up on a point. I read a story about this woman who had gone back to work and she was in the lift with her boss and just kept farting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a good test. You should be able to hold a fart in and so so you can imagine your anal sphincter tone has to be pretty bad to have eqal soiling. But even if it's moderately bad, you won't be able to hold in a fart. And that you should be able to hold in a fart for obvious reasons. Yeah, and that needs a tension from an expert pelvic foor physiotherapist. And if that's not working, a trans aantal ultrasound and a colorectal opinion.
Speaker 2: All right, I've got one more common issue, and then I've got a few more rare issues. So the last common one that I've got is painful sex.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, that's right. I think one of nature's contraceptives is that the is that sex can be painful during breastfeeding. And maybe that's one of the nature's ways of saying hold on a minute, that we'll just hold off for a bit, because you know, otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense. But I think what happens is that the hormonal environment of lactation does make the vagina less lubricated and more tender, and sometimes people find that something they can get around with a lubricants. But I've certainly used vaginal estrogen supplementation in in people as well, if they're breastfiting long term and they're back to regular intercourse and they're finding it very uncomfortable, and that actually works really well. This is the same estrogen cream we use in the postmenopause or women who are still regularly sexually active but no vaginal estrogen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and they would just talk to their gp about that. Yeah, I imagine I would imagine a lot of people put up with that, and you know, potentially leads to other things like closeness with your partner and all the other Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's right. If you're ready, if you're ready emotionally to return to w intercourse, then you want your body to follow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sexual problems don't get treated enough at all in the first place. It's frustrating with that one, though, because it's a relatively easy fix because those vaginal estrogens almost none of it is absorbed systemically, so it's super safe to put some estrogen the cream in the vagina and it really helps. I might have mentioned this on the podcast before, but there's an old medical story of a doctor who put a sign on his desk saying, I am comfortable dealing with problems of a sexual nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never heard you say that.
Speaker 1: And then a couple of weeks later we had to take the sign away because he wasn't getting any work done because everyone went up and started.
Speaker 2: Finally someone exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so everyone's got problems of a sexual nature, but we don't.
Speaker 2: Talk about well you speaking of that. Hopefully we'll have a sex therapist on very soon.
Speaker 1: I'm excited by that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we'll have to get everybody to get primed with the questions. Now I'm going to go onto the less common and postpartum thyroiditis. Now we've covered this in the thyroid episode. I'm going to put all the where we're the links to the particular episodes so people can go back and get a more in depth discussion. But just quickly, what is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, postpartum thyroiditis is a is an autoimmune thyroid condition where you can get sudden and quite impressive hyper theroidism following pregnancy. Usually happens in someone with a pre existing thyroid diagnosis, but not always, and and it can be it can be severe, and we gotta we've gotta watch out for it in everyone on thyroid medication, and even someone who's not never had a day's thorid problem in their life but present presents with the typical features of hyper thyroidism, which are you know, tremor, excessive sweating and so forth.
Speaker 2: Interesting, All right, periinatal obsessive compulsive disorder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is an interesting one. I don't know anything about perry natal obsessive compulsive disorder, I'm happy to say, but I think it makes a broader point that if you are somewhat susceptible genetically or otherwise to the development of a mental illness, the postpartum period might be when that comes out. Yeah, it's a tough period for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots of different stresses.
Speaker 1: All all at once. So the hormonal stress, the sleep deprivation, the adjustment disorder, all at the same time.
Speaker 4: All right, postpartum pre clampsia, Yes, postpartum preclams here is a thing, So so you can develop the the preclampsia doesn't mean pre the baby.
Speaker 1: It means preclamsy, means pre fitting. So we try and diagnose the the the symptoms of high blood pressure, urinary protein, poor fetal growth, abnormal blood tests, and symptoms all in the that that that are a cluster of of symptoms called preclampsia before the woman gets a clamsier, which is fitting and very dangerous in a very dangerous obstetric emergency. And so that can actually happen after babies out. Most of the risk goes away when the baby's out and the typical time for getting preclam series like pregnancy. But there are some outlies. Some people who get it really really early, seriously early, and that's a real.
Speaker 2: Problem their pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you get super bad preclams here at twenty three weeks and the only treatment is delivery, then we're in trouble, and you can get it postparter. And in fact, you know, when we're looking after people with preclams here, really they're only in the clear when the diarysis has happened. So not that the placenta is out, but that the hormonal environment for the woman has returned to normal and the excess fluid that she's been holding onto is urinated out.
Speaker 2: And so roughly, how when does diarysis happen?
Speaker 1: A couple of days? Couple of days, Yeah, so that's really that the risk of getting an eclamptic seizure drops at that point, but not necessarily right when the baby comes out.
Speaker 2: So when if someone was to get postpartum preclams here, when would they note when is that typically going to occur?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe say they've already got preclams yet, but that doesn't just go away magically when a baby's warm, or maybe they didn't already have preclams. Yeah, the baby's out, and then suddenly they developed the features of hyper reflecting their headache visual disturbance, urinary protein and you think, what's all this, she's ready to deliver it. Well, that's still preclamps here. It's just happened after the babies come.
Speaker 2: And if she's in the hospital, if you had a hospital birth, would that happen within that hospital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the reasons you're still there. Yeah, so we would be observing for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The next one is changes in vision. But like, is pre postpartum preclamsy the only reason that you might get changes in vision.
Speaker 1: No, some people get changes in the elasticity of the lens in their eye that are hormonely mediated and occasionally permit right. Yeah, and there's a hearing version of that as well. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Forgot about the hearing. Does not even hear, but the hearing as well.
Speaker 1: We've got a family member who's hearing was never quite right after baby. So yeah, it's that those are thought to be hormonally mediated effects on the visual and hearing mechanisms that that occasionally don't don't go back to quite where he used to be.
Speaker 2: Now, another mental health issue, postpartum psychosis. We also covered this with doctor Carli Good. Yeah, but just maybe if someone's just listening to this. What what is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Post part of psychosis is a meant is an obstetric emergency. It's a mental health a condition that arises after the baby comes, probably triggered by hormonal changes with the placenta, living the body and so forth, but certainly also having a strong pre existing component to it, and it, you know, a tendency towards that diagnosis, perhaps a family history, and it presents like schizophrenia. Right, So a seriously abnormal mental state, potentially involving delusions are hallucinations, and the associated danger to mother and baby.
Speaker 2: We did mention in that podcast. It's very very rare, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Super rare but super serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so needs immediate psychiatric intervention, medication, and the use of a mother baby unit so that the mother and baby can be kept together while a mental illness passes but looked up but observed in a safe environment.
Speaker 2: Seems to be something that a birth partner should know about, because I'm imagining that the woman herself, she may not know what state she's in, or you know, maybe she can say, but you know, get your partners to listen to this episode so they can understand what it is that you're dealing with on this postpartum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of stuff here. Number twenty three or something.
Speaker 2: Right, perineal nerve damage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's a thing. It's a bit rare, typically related to force its and it's you know, there's a there's a nerve that can be damaged in childbirth that affects the sensations around the vaginal eatening. And it's a rare but but significant complication of instrumental child births. And I've never actually seen a case of this, but I yeah, so it's rare, but yeah, I understand. I understand that the management is in conjunction with neurologists and can can involve the use of some of those medications that can help with what's called neuropathic pain or from a damaged nerve. Yep.
Speaker 2: The last one on my list is one that our friend Katie Lowless, who we interviewed a few episodes ago, and that is perry partum cardiomyopathy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fascinating condition.
Speaker 2: This is a very hard to diagnose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, although although so perry partum cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart muscle becomes seriously abnormal, floppy, not contracting efficiently, and the heart becomes enlarged, and without the proper support that you could get from an intensive care unit and so forth, it can be extremely serious or fatal. It's it is difficult to diagnose because if someone turns up with the typical features of shortness of breath and apparent cardiac failure, it's uncommon. It's unclear that would be happening to another wise healthy young person. On the other hand, you do tend to know if they're recently at a baby. Yeah. So yeah, a very very interesting but thankfully uncommon cardiac complication of bregnancy.
Speaker 2: Wow, God, anyone listening to this, pat, I think, I mean, hopefully they're already pregnant.
Speaker 1: Like, you won't get all twenty three. You're allowed to have three, let's say, yeah, yeah, and none of this, none of the last seven. No, No, you have to have Yeah, you have to have the ones from the start. So look, it's you know, these are things that can happen. Half the battle is knowing about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then then you can say, well, hang, I've heard of this, go to your trusted obstetric provider and and and get some help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. You know, of these things, I think I might have only had probably three. And it's just more. I think it's useful doing episodes like this because A we've talked about it before, like people say, I wish I had somebody had had told me. So here we go, we're telling you. But b if you get if you have your partner listening to this, I think it will give them a level of understanding of what it is that you're recovering from. Yes, and you know, whether that doesn't necessarily mean that they need to do anything to fix it, but just having that understanding and be able to go, Okay, well we know what this is, and we know that this passes, or we know that this is in the first couple of weeks or whatever. And also when it comes to sort of your mental health, well it looks like it's not passing. Now we need to get some support. Yeah, whatever.
Speaker 1: It is a general understanding of the enormity of what the woman's been through and that it doesn't all it's not all fixed the day that.
Speaker 2: Baby comes, sir, No, No, that's right. And on top of that, you've got to learn about your baby. Yeah, So that's another thing. All right, everyone will I. I think that has given a really good overview of potential postpartum symptoms. It doesn't mean you're going to get every single one. Remember, no, no, just take a listen and please be gentle on yourself.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, everybody.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. Bye for now, see you next week.