Speaker 1: Hey, it's Caath.
Speaker 2: If you've been a listener of the four five six Club, Hi, I've missed you. I've been thinking a lot about this stage of life, because God, sometimes it feels like a shit show, like everyone needs something from you all the time, and you're over it. So where you've started something new that is a total brain break, A show where you don't need to think or remember anything or do anything except hang out and laugh. It's called Unleashed, and it's the one place where you can just switch your brain off, laugh and hear women saying the things you're probably thinking. It's me with a group of brilliant, funny, very honest women, Mary Coustas, Sally Hepworth, Bruna pap Andrea, Ginny Mansburg and Grace Lamb talking about everything we don't always say out loud. This episode is a little taste of that. Hello, and welcome to Unleashed, the podcast for gen X women who need a laugh, maybe a.
Speaker 1: Cry, and a little break from the shit show of life. So who is in your ears today?
Speaker 3: I'm Mary Kustas, I'm an actress.
Speaker 4: I'm Sally Hitworth, I'm an author, I'm Bruna pep Andrea and I'm a film and television producer and.
Speaker 1: I'm Kath Mahoney and I'm a comedian.
Speaker 2: Okay, wherever you're listening, unclenching, your clench your palvic floor and get ready to unleash. Okay, I have in my hand the talking stick. If you have the stick, you have the floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to know.
Speaker 2: Has there ever been a time you've been mistaken for somebody else?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Oh, sal stick for you very fancy.
Speaker 4: In fact, I have video footage of the time that I was mistaken. It was because I was over in America for Good Morning America and I was waiting to the side of the stage and I was watching and Sherry Shepherd from The View was being interviewed and I love the View, and I was watching and at the end of her segment, I was standing to the side and my publicist was filming me ready to go on stage. And as Sherry came off, I sort of stood back out of the way and she looked at me and she did a double take, and then she said.
Speaker 3: Hello, how are you. It's so good to see you.
Speaker 4: When she gave me a kiss, and she was so effusive, and I was like, oh gosh, and we had a kiss in a hug, and then she and obviously, well I didn't know what had happened, right, So then she turned and walked off, and my publicist was there, and so I then went on, didn't know what had happened, was really excited. I was such good friends with Sherry Shepherd. And then when I came off of Katie, my publicist said.
Speaker 5: She thought you were Naomi. What's so glorious about it is that.
Speaker 4: She's got this video of me standing there looking starstruck, Sherry coming off, doing the double take, the effusive greeting, and then as Sherry walks off, you can actually see the cogs turning and she's got this expression on her face that's like, who the fuck was that? He's a friend of ours, particularly with this new hair. She's rocking the same hair right now.
Speaker 6: You do really like each other? Actually?
Speaker 4: Well that, I mean, that's the biggest class beautiful on you do, doesn't she?
Speaker 3: She does?
Speaker 4: But also I think in America and being Australian and all of that kind of stuff, it can You're at a big talk show, yeah, so you could easily be a big movie star waiting in the Eyeland.
Speaker 7: I get mistaken because, as some of the listeners would not, I play a famous character, which I've done for almost four decades, Fie. I get mistaken as Mary for e Fie Zahos, the woman that does the financial stuff.
Speaker 3: On the Today Show and Channel nine.
Speaker 7: Like all the time. People think I'm her. They thank me for financial advice. But I just want to tell this little story.
Speaker 5: You're very welcome.
Speaker 3: Yes, I just agree with people. People don't like it when you disagree.
Speaker 7: I was rehearsing in a in like an RSL type of club because it's close to where I live and I needed a theater space. And I was standing at the lift and there was this sort of like meek little guy, sort of skinny, and I could tell he was Greek from the visual right. And we go up in the lift and he turns to me and he says, do you know you look like And I said her? And he said, you look like that Efie Zahos from the Today Show. And I said to him, you know what, I do look like her? Absolutely, I look like her. And he said to me, and you know who she looks like?
Speaker 3: I said, does she look like she looks like the Effie? That's really funny.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, she absolutely does and the lift doors open and I walked down. But I can guarantee, because there were posters of Effie because I was going to be doing a show there a couple of months later, for sure he would have.
Speaker 4: It. I actually I recently had a pretty upsetting I'm not going to say it's a mistaken identity, but I was in when we're forming the second season of Nine Perfect Strangers. We were in Munich for a long time and I was in. One of my best friends was also producing it, our friend Molly Allen, and we went to this really beautiful department store, like beautiful, and we're in this gorgeous department store and there was a sales I was like, oh my god, there was like a Jivanti dress that I would never be able to afford, but it was like a tenth of the price. This is important to the story. So I go into the change room and I'm like trying it on. And I probably should have gone to the bathroom because I was also had a little bit of a full bladder, which is kind of important to the story. So I'm basically my own business. I'm trying on this beautiful dress. And then I hear Molly kind of looking for me. I can hear her kind of on the outside look at me. Now, I just want to say, for the record, Molly looks great, but she is seven years older than me. Okay, so I hear her looking, and I just hear this German woman say to.
Speaker 6: Her, your mother is in there. I that was it. I peed, I.
Speaker 4: Dress, bought the dress, the dress paid in the Givanni laughing. I could not believe that someone thought I was her mother.
Speaker 6: No offense, Molly, but I had never.
Speaker 4: Was the accent your matha, she is in there. I So that was not mistaken identity, so much mistaken age in appropriateness. That's my recent hilarious.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, ks.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 2: Well, I used to go to La a fair bit for work. This is like going back maybe fourteen years ago, so you know, think me.
Speaker 1: I used to wear my hair up a lot. It was blonder.
Speaker 2: So the first time I went, people would like sort of you know when people overstare and you're like, oh, I mean I look all right, but I look that great. And then and then I got to Soho House, which is like a member's only club, which back then was super like, you know, it was full of it's still.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: And I remember walking past, Oh gosh, I'm having a moment the two people from friends.
Speaker 7: Lucy Caldroux or Cornie and Jennifer, and I'm so excited to be just in La.
Speaker 2: So I just walked past and I'm like hi, and they're like Hi, just chatting away. And the lady that we were with said do you know who you look like? And she said Diane Krueger and I was like God.
Speaker 3: And then the rest of that trip, I swear better than Freddy Krueger. Well, I swear someone at someone.
Speaker 2: When we were doing the Hollywood Hills, they stopped and asked my photo and I was like.
Speaker 1: Who do you think I am? And they were like Dan Krueger, Literally, I think you.
Speaker 6: Look like a lot of people. Kay Winslow actually.
Speaker 3: Looks like Kay Winslet.
Speaker 1: I've got photos to share.
Speaker 2: You can see them, yes, But my favorite about the eyes when she smiles, no, because we have different tas. My favorite was when I was about sixteen illegally in a pub in South Wales and a guy was trying to tap on to me and he said to me, do you know who you look like and I was like, who he said, Whitney Houston.
Speaker 3: Sorry, that is such a great line.
Speaker 4: My God told me I looked like Britney Spears once and that was and it was right.
Speaker 1: In see a compliment.
Speaker 4: It was right after she'd shaved it, and she was like hitting people with.
Speaker 6: You did not specify the period.
Speaker 3: You just jumped in.
Speaker 5: And she's not great at the moment, like hasn't she just gone to pay prison or something? But Mary, are we going to talk about Tina Arena?
Speaker 7: Because yeah, people think I'm Tina Arena and they think Tina's me, and yeah, I mean, I just it is.
Speaker 4: Just give us a couple of bars, give us a couple from I.
Speaker 3: Did do a duet with Tina, which.
Speaker 6: Is one line, one line, Yeah, which was song did you of course?
Speaker 5: In chain?
Speaker 3: It's bad great.
Speaker 7: I recorded a comedy single as Effie with Norman Guns on the top twenty. Oh, Amigo's paras Emperor.
Speaker 3: Means you're stupid.
Speaker 6: It's such hidden talents.
Speaker 3: The talent. Oh my gosh, this thing gives me a gid.
Speaker 2: No, okay, I want to ask you all, how do you maintain your lady garden? Because I need to talk about my recent experience of getting a very aggressive wax. Yes, so I was doing a show in Brisbane and so not that I get my front bottom out in my show, but I wanted to be waxed, and during the show I talk a lot about my bottom hair, so I just thought I.
Speaker 1: Need to be it may be good to go.
Speaker 2: I can't have it it dangling and it is growing rather ferociously my back garden more than my front gardens.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So I'm booking in for a wax.
Speaker 2: I can't get in with the lovely lady that I normally go to see who likes listening to the podcast, so I just bookhim wherever I can get in, And it's in. It's in one of those nail salons, you know. It's a room at the back.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, absolutely not.
Speaker 6: Going somewhere you've never been to.
Speaker 5: Do you just to wax your ainus? Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: You need to go down that bottom.
Speaker 2: It's all just kind of morphed into one bottom from front to back.
Speaker 1: It's just like a big long front and back thing.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I walk through the salon, I use that term sort of loosely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they put that contact paper over the table.
Speaker 1: It gets worse.
Speaker 2: So I'm in what is basically a cupboard, which is fine, like it's got you know, it's got a pot of boiling wax, it's got wipes, and it's got the table. So the lady stays in the room.
Speaker 1: While I take my clothes on, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like a fla, well, but I'm not stealing the wax and I'm alright for baby wipe. So it wasn't like they had a lot of stock in there, but she stood there. And I'm at an age now when I take my undies off, like I don't want someone to see they're big undies. As we've established before, I tend to have a pad in there, not because I'm having a period, just because I'm hot and sweaty.
Speaker 1: So it's a bit of extra.
Speaker 5: So finish she's about to see your hairy.
Speaker 2: Don't want the illusion that I'm also walking around with like big pants and a pad.
Speaker 3: Different when you're lying down, yes and you covered, I think.
Speaker 2: It is anyway, So then I she's she's sort of there.
Speaker 1: I've put a bit of talcon too, because you know her roll.
Speaker 2: So touch her vibe just she is quite a small, petit lady.
Speaker 1: She's she's probably thirty at the most. She's got a COVID.
Speaker 2: Mask on, so she's probably gnarling behind it.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like you should be dropping your decks to this person.
Speaker 2: They're already on the floor with the pad facing up, and so now I'm lying there and how I roll is I've done laser down the side, so I'm neat at any at any point, like, I'm not going to be like having Coalais coming out with swimmers. But I've got like between the flappage is growing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the undercarriage.
Speaker 1: That's the undercarriage.
Speaker 2: So from like I have a little sort of bit at the top and then I have flap coverage and then just like a massive fucking crop circle of oss hair around, which is just what are.
Speaker 3: You fernalizing with?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's just another joy of cars what happens, but you can look because it's now I don't have it anyway. So she literally I don't know if she'd had an argument with her partner that morning or if she was on a period and she was angry, Like I have never been ripped like that before. I mean literally, I didn't want to look at it. I didn't even know if everything was still attached. And then then I have to turn round.
Speaker 5: So you're on all fours.
Speaker 2: No, I'm lying down facing her, so she's doing front bump first, and then then I'm having to do like turnover to do back bump. And she's got me, oh, this is the other thing. Like I've never had a flat stomach in my life. You know, I just roll the way I roll. But Lily, she gets me to when we're doing the front bump, she's making me like pull the skin.
Speaker 1: I've kind of like hot.
Speaker 2: Hike bits, see it on her face. She's grabbing my toumube tum. She's like yanking it up with my hand and you're not doing that bit anyway. It gets worse when I'm on my front, so now you kind of like you know, lying on your front facing the pillow.
Speaker 1: Like the pillow. She then has got me.
Speaker 2: Spreading my legs and legs a bit in the air and like pulling my cheeks. So I look like, you know, and you can now buy a chicken that's just been squashed. Yeah, like flat, that's what I look like, except I look like friar tuck because I've got like you know band of merry men like the round sort of hair crop circle. And I tell you what, I've also got a skin tag on my bum which I checked with the doctor.
Speaker 1: I think she had it off. It's like, literally, I've never been in so much pain.
Speaker 2: I wanted to go home and like sit in an ice bucket? Was it was aggressive?
Speaker 6: Care a keV help me, help you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've sucking lost me at wags? Why ladies, does anyone wax anymore? Like laser laser? I've got one word, and I'm gonna say multiple times, laser laser laser. But a legend doing laser on your you would you You'd have to be the Portuguese chaluk?
Speaker 5: Would you holding everything there while they I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about laser on the round, the back, but the front.
Speaker 1: Like our lady lips, they shrivel.
Speaker 2: Did you know that our mouth lips and our lady lips as we age shrivel. So at the moment, I've got a fairly neat handbag, But in a couple of years my giblets could be hanging out. Yes, I want to I know, I want to know that I'm not having to murk in I want to know I can grow the pubes over that if.
Speaker 1: I need to.
Speaker 4: My point is the laser is so advanced now it's crazy, it doesn't even hurt. So why anyone, I mean, would put themselves through that level of pain that is involved in waxing, particularly with a stranger that you've just decided to go.
Speaker 6: To in the middle, is beyond my comprehension.
Speaker 7: Look, I don't know about you girls, but gray hair starts to creep in after a while.
Speaker 3: You know, my mutunga. My mouth is looking like Richard Wilkins, Carol, it looks like frosted tips.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna add this.
Speaker 2: In so in my in my show, because I talk a lot about my pubic hair, and I talk about my changing pubic hair, I do.
Speaker 1: And so what I do is I.
Speaker 2: Have like a screen that says Cat's cuts, and I just take the audience through. I take the audience through my various stages of downstairs. And so I've got a photo of Guy Sebastian when he won Idol. Yes, if you're in the country, Bruner, but he has he had a very big afro. So when I landed in Australia, I had the guy Sebastian. Then I've got a picture of Shannon Nol because I had like the.
Speaker 1: Little I think we little one just under the I do.
Speaker 2: So I've had a guy Sebastian, and I've had a Shannon, and then my last photo is Stanley Tucci because I've also gone the full teach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Sally, who do you? Who are you? Out of those three?
Speaker 4: One of the joys of alopecia is that I don't really have any pubes like I have a few. They're gray so you can't really see them. But it does mean that I don't have to go into the back room at these awful little places. But I had almost the same experience but without my anus when I went. I was about to go to America to go on Good Morning America, first time I'd been on TV. And I went to get my nail stuck. So I was in the nail of salon and I'm getting my my pedicure and my thing, and then the lady who was doing it said, would you like me to do your mustache and your beard? No? And I, you know, very loudly, and I was, yes, I would, I guess, And so we went into that back room that you speak of with the laminate table, and I got on there and she got that wax you know, the one with the thin you know, the thin green.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they do the eyebrows, and.
Speaker 3: She did it because normally calico fabric that they.
Speaker 5: With the calico fabric.
Speaker 4: And she iced to me like a bun from like cheekbone to like neck, like right thing my whole face pretty much and just ripped these strips off afterwards, and I broke out in well, I was.
Speaker 1: About to say, aren't you going on, Telly?
Speaker 4: Yep, So I had I have very clever makeup, but I had welts when I was on Good Morning on my face, like open wounds. And that's what happens when you go into selling. What's your I mean, you know, I don't want to like, you know, say anything culturally, but you're a Mediterranean.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as f I said, when you're a Greek, it's November every month.
Speaker 3: So hair maintenance is a big thing. It's a full time job, if you know.
Speaker 7: Not for Bruner obviously not since La, but yeah, it can be a full time job.
Speaker 3: Do you like I wax?
Speaker 7: Look, I've done laser as well. Definitely reduced eighty percent of it's gone.
Speaker 5: On facial hair. Like, do you get facial hair?
Speaker 7: I don't mind a bit of threading, yeah, I mean, I don't know what you pay for.
Speaker 3: It's two bits of cotton.
Speaker 7: The procession is unbelievable, like a thread, and eyebrow is gorgeous.
Speaker 6: But how do you feel about hairy men?
Speaker 7: Well, my husband has no hair on his head. He's the first ball guy I've ever been with. He's not very hairy.
Speaker 3: Look the back, the back's a lot is there covered in hair?
Speaker 7: He's My husband's got a friend who was completely covered in hair, I mean mow hair.
Speaker 3: It's not a lot of hair, mow hair. Yeah, yeah, I'm not a big fan.
Speaker 7: But I don't know about your husband's boyfriend's ex'es.
Speaker 3: You know whatever.
Speaker 7: But do they manscape because that's a nice thing that my husband does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it does. But I really like a bit of hair on a like, not on their back we're.
Speaker 3: Talking about, but even manhood the nuts.
Speaker 4: Well, I do think a bit of nice manscaping is nice to just keep it, but certainly not when you wouldn't want them, you know, doing anything fancy down.
Speaker 1: There, but not dazzling it.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it's such a like new I'm not talking about guys I date. You know, there's a culture of like like a lot of waxing on man and I quite like that look.
Speaker 5: But the clean wax manscaping look.
Speaker 3: Look a lot of ethnic men like to pluck between their monos.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they want to get rid of free to Carlo, but sometimes it looks like the eyebrows of having a divorce. They just go too far, especially if they're doing it themselves. I mean JFK Junior, Right, did everyone see Love Story, the series on JFK and Carolyn Bassett? That was fantastic and the guy they got was was brilliant outside. JFK Junior was a hairy guy, wasn't it. He was like gorgeous and I liked it.
Speaker 3: Animal lie.
Speaker 7: Yes, you know, so I think that they had, from what I read, had trouble casting a guy that had you know, the hat hair.
Speaker 6: Wow. Wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, Mary, do you need the talking stec oh?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: So why does the car turn us into different people? You know?
Speaker 7: I always think of the car as the cone of silence, like this is the one safe place, the last politically incorrect place where the animal in us, the unreasonable, paranoid blaming person in US can say and do whatever we want, Like there is no judgment in a car. I mean unless you know you're picking your nose or something like that people, but people think you're talking on the phone or whatever. Now I am really a very patient person, except when I'm in the car. Suddenly everyone's doing everything wrong. Now, a while back, I was stopped at a set of lights. I was maybe the fourth car at this set of red lights. Now we know the protocol with driving right. When the light changes, the car in front moves to the middle of the section to turn right and waits that way. You know, at least the first second, possibly even third car will get through the lights.
Speaker 3: Well, I was stopped at these sets of lights, and I was four.
Speaker 7: Cars back, and we were stuck there for three different change of lights.
Speaker 3: No movement at the station. Now I am swearing. I am really getting aggressive.
Speaker 5: Now I've had enough to swear in Greek if you're really mad.
Speaker 7: Like sometimes, you know, like I was just going feral. The two cars in front of me and the number one car got so frustrated they pulled out and decided to go in a different direction, and then I realized that the car that was turning right was my mother.
Speaker 3: Everything under the sun. I didn't know it was a woman, but you know, an idiot.
Speaker 4: What's the matter with mad that I do get a bit of road My kids are like, Mum, how are you? I'm so afraid I'm gonna get road ranges and be someone I know. But I got to say I have a very special as needed by what people do in cars. I love being stopped at lights and seeing people like putting on there I may car, eating a bowl of cereal, you know, like it's a lot right. And my favorite thing about being in my car is when I try thanklessly to like and unsuccessfully use the hands free like every time I say call Mary coustas it says call Merry Christmas. Every single I have called so many wrong people using that thing.
Speaker 5: And then you end up shouting it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But my worst thing about cars because I'm pretty clean in a car, like a clean car, but my husband borrows my car when I travel and I and I'll put I'm gonna put the video up on the Unleashed Socials because this happened to me yesterday. I'm just gonna let you guys see it on Unleashed socials, what he leaves in the car when he's borrowed my car. I'm with Steve, like, my car looks like a student's. It's got McDonald's rappers all over the floor, it's got gum, it's got all the most new car. Yeah, I know, I've been trying a little bit harder, but look, I think that we do. I think it bodes well for me if it does show our true personality in the car because I am extraordinarily calm in the car. People often comment how I just never go for the horn. I will just because if I'm a bit frightened, I'm concentrating on driving, like it's just not my automatic reaction. And in fact, once I lived in Canada right before I got married, and when I was pregnant with my first child, and there was a time I was in the car driving to the Rockies. I was six months pregnant, my husband was in the front seat, and my dad, who was visiting from Australia, was in the back seat. So we've got three generations of my family that could potentially get wiped out. And we hit the black ice on the motorway and the way.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: That happened a few times when I was there, and I'd done a defensive driving course, But this time, as soon as I knew, as soon as I hit it, there was nothing I could do, and so I was doing what I'd been taught was just to sort of pumper the brain. The car turned was backwards and it was going down the motorway backwards, still on the thing. And as it was happening in my family gives me shit about this, like all these years later. But as we are going backwards and like flying down the motorway backwards, I was saying, it's all right, everything's fine, Everything's going to be okay. We were going backwards, so we ended up we went backwards. We sort of flew along there for a while, and then we went off into a ditch and stopped. But right after we went into the ditch, another car came up behind and smashed into the car in front.
Speaker 5: So we kind of just got out of the way.
Speaker 4: But I think that there's something and I think I do do this in life too, when things become really stressful and scary, I go down to like a deeper, kind of quiet, calmer place.
Speaker 1: I think I wouldn't have been the car with the air with that sounds.
Speaker 4: I mean, I still hit the ice and went into the ditch. So it's not that I'm a fantastic driver, but Tay, I definitely don't go to screaming.
Speaker 5: I don't want to add to the car.
Speaker 4: So if you guys like Karma drive and I'm someone, just bear in mind. I don't even like getting in the back of Uber. But I am obsessed with the Weaimo, the self driving cars in LA.
Speaker 2: WHOA, hang on a second, what is a Weaimo? Are we in the future?
Speaker 4: So a Weaimo is a self driving car. They basically act like Ubers, but there is no one driving them. The wheel is turning on its owner. In America, they are in various states in America, but certainly in Los Angeles they are everywhere. And when I first started seeing them, I was like, there's no way to ever get it.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: You don't even let anyone drive.
Speaker 6: Being driven, And it's so weird.
Speaker 4: You're you're in these streets in Los Angeles and you're just you're sitting at lights and there's someone in the back of a car and there's no one driving in the weird excellct my kids who are like my son's like, come on, mum, let's go. We're gonna do this. We're getting in Well, once I did it once, I'm kind of addicted as ant. Isn't it like not have to even speak to your exact driver? Now some people believe that they're listening to everything you're saying.
Speaker 1: How does it work, Britner? Is it like a new bra app?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So when I first heard about it, you had to get someone to refer you to get the app. Now I think anyone can download the app, so yes, you doubt it's w A Y M O. So you download the app in the same way you would any on your phone, and you put in your details in your credit card, and you order it exactly as you would an uber.
Speaker 1: Right, how does it like?
Speaker 2: I get that it would have the directions, but how does it know when it's a red light?
Speaker 4: It's got cameras, so if you see them, there are rotating cameras on the roof. Literally the car is surrounded by cameras, so it's seeing.
Speaker 3: It's seeing far more.
Speaker 6: Than you would ever see as a driver of a car.
Speaker 5: So do they care if you have sex? In the back.
Speaker 6: I'm sure the camera.
Speaker 5: You could go viral.
Speaker 4: No, that's a great question, and I'm sure people have no doubt you're allowed to sit in front seat.
Speaker 6: I never have.
Speaker 4: I've only ever sat in the back seat. The only place you can't set is in the driver's seat. And what you can't do is, like, you know, try and take the wheel. You can't because it will like some kind of crazy alarm will go off and you are definitely locked in there. So the car arrives, you say, open door, The doors open, You step into the most beautiful cart. You buckle your seatbelt, and then there's this screen right in front of you in the back seat, and before you touch anything, it says, hello, brunner, that's cool. Wow, And then you push start right and then it just takes off. Now it does take a little longer to get places because it's not taking anyway.
Speaker 3: Well, that was the next thing.
Speaker 7: Look, one of the best things about being in a taxi not so much Ubers.
Speaker 3: Although occasionally maybe you can negotiate.
Speaker 7: You dictate which road you want to take in order to get to where you want to get to it.
Speaker 3: If you've been to that place a lot, you know you.
Speaker 5: Would love this.
Speaker 4: My son because he hates going in the car with me any because he knows that I'm going to try and engage him in a some kind of conversation about I try to impart some wisdom. And recently he said to me when I was going we had to go to Southland, and he said, just before we get in, you have to promise me that you're not going to ask me about enthusiastic consent or masturbation. My kids love it, and a lot of parents feel safe for putting their kid. I put my kid and he'd never been in an uber. Yeah, and he took his first ride on his own in a Way Mow because a lot of people just see that. Yeah, there's no safer. Totally, I don't think our kids. Look, got kids are in thirteen. I'm not sure they'll learn to drive. I mean I think at some point, very soon everything will be self driving cars. I mean, I'm a control freak, but I'm obsessed talk about things you can do in the in cars.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 4: I just want to know if the Way Mow is going to be as calm as I was when it hits the black ice and it's flying down the Highway backwards.
Speaker 2: All right, it's time for burning questions. This is where we throw out something that's been stuck in our heads all week.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I know we're all powerful, great smart women.
Speaker 2: We will say we have no regrets, but I actually want to know if you had an undo button for one specific decision or purchase, what would you erase?
Speaker 1: Mary?
Speaker 7: Okay, So we've been talking about cars, and I was always a big, you know, car fan.
Speaker 3: I loved cars.
Speaker 7: So I bought a car that I'd never even heard of. I bought it through the trading post. Do you remember the old trading newspaper? And when I bought it home, my dad said it was so small. He said, you didn't buy a car, you bought a box of matches. And I'd come out of nightclubs thinking it had been stolen. It w'd been parked next with Sedan. This car I had nowhere to store. And eventually I sold it maybe fifteen years into having it. And it was my most reliable car. It was a Honda S eight hundred. It was designed to rival the MG, which you did, and then had a motorbike engine in it.
Speaker 3: It was fantastic.
Speaker 7: It was a coop model so I had to sell it, only to discover recently that that car that I paid three thousand dollars for is now worth anything between fifty five and ninety thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Yes. Wow, so I do have that regret. Plus I loved it. It was such a fun car.
Speaker 5: Oh, we have to see a picture of it. I want to see that.
Speaker 3: I'll give over a picture so we can put on our socials.
Speaker 1: Sal what's your and do button?
Speaker 5: I mean, it's hard to find it.
Speaker 4: I regret every purchase that I've ever made when I thought that I was going to be a different person, like you know, you know when you starting a new fitness regime. I have got weights at home. I have so many bloody weights. Since there's me thinking I'm going to do the strength training. I've never lifted a weight.
Speaker 5: I'm not interested in doing that at all.
Speaker 4: I've got a football, you know, I've got those rollly things that you buy it this see. I love buying stuff, and so a lot of the stuff that I buy sits there and reminds me and makes me feel guilty.
Speaker 1: Bruna, what's your do button?
Speaker 4: I mean? I try not to have any regrets, but I might undo half the guys I had sex, you know, I mean, I wasn't fully in my own senses, or i'd certainly use more birth control, especially if what they're saying on the manosphere is true that a little part of every man that we have sex with like lodges itself into our day about clear.
Speaker 5: Ju I mean, I think little Weenie, well, it's a little part that was all over. I mean, I think it's fake news.
Speaker 6: But like, come on, that's not true. I would undo.
Speaker 4: I mean, speaking of Mary and me and Friedman knew me in this time where you know, I was let's say, drinking a little more and parting a bit more than a lot more than now. But I do remember, and I am I this is one thing i'd undo. I may have had a few drinks and I went home with an actor actually but I won't name him. And we woke up the next morning and he said to me, oh, I'm just going to go and have a shower.
Speaker 6: And I said, all right, I was very young, and I'm going to go to a shower.
Speaker 4: And if the phone rings don't answer it, it might be my girlfriend. Oh wow, And I just like you might have mentioned that before the sex, and that I probably would undo that because that was not my vibe. Yeah, but that's not your mistake either. That was the bit you might want to one do is not throwing his phone and his clothes out the window at that.
Speaker 1: Point exactly mine and my eyebrows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please explain.
Speaker 2: I feel like, no, we're full circling back to your comment earlier or comes back to overplucked. And as it was getting closer to my wedding, my hairdresser was like, you've just got a can you throw them a bit? And you know, I tried, but you know what, you sort of pluck one or two and then suddenly they're really thin. I married somebody who was in the public eye, and so there are photos of me and Andrew and the fact that I didn't invite my eyebrows to the wedding.
Speaker 7: Can I just say, for anyone that doesn't know, you were married to Andrew John's, yes, a legendary NROL player.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not Daniel John's from Silver Chair, which.
Speaker 2: Is so anyway, I managed to grow my eyebrows back, so it was great, but this photo of me, you know, with my no eyebrows, came back to bite me on the bum because Andrew and I split up. He moved on with Daniel Craig's ex fiance, so it was big news.
Speaker 1: It was big news.
Speaker 2: You can google me and Daniel Craig and they're all on the red carpet, Andrew's looking fabulous, and the photos around the world. Oh my wedding photo without my eyebrows. Yes, it's not good. We can share that on the socials.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to see these brows, these famous breads.
Speaker 4: So you've got your brows circulating the world and your hand which is around your son's in the photo of you, and wow, famous body part.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: My other main regret I only have two is the night that George Michael was playing in Sydney.
Speaker 1: Lewis had been up sick.
Speaker 2: He was a two year old, and because I've been at Sony Music a long time and got loads of concert you know, free concerts, I was very lucky. I was like, I can't go, I'm so tired. I'll see him next time. And then the next time he bloody died.
Speaker 3: I know, such a big loss.
Speaker 2: I could actually cry about George Michael. So they would be my two regrets. Get to George Michael and don't pluck there you go. Yeah, it's time for us to solve other people's problems.
Speaker 1: Yayay, we love this segment.
Speaker 2: This is where you send us your real life mess and we become your completely unqualified agony ants. Today's problem is from anonymous Dear Unleashed. I have a polite relationship with my neighbors. On several occasions, when the wife has been away, I've noticed another woman leaving the house late at night or early in the morning. It could have been you. Should I mind my own business? Or should I let the wife know what I've seen? Ladies, what do we think?
Speaker 3: Sally? You wrote a book called The Family next Door?
Speaker 1: What would you do?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Or don't mind your own business? I mean that's boring.
Speaker 4: I think that there is a secret option number three, which is well, that she can be the missus mangle.
Speaker 5: You know, she's going to be at her front.
Speaker 4: I hope everyone understandsis reference.
Speaker 1: She was a busybody.
Speaker 4: She was the proverbial you know, cracking the blinds at the front of the house and keeping her eye on what was going on. And in this case, I think it would be really fun if she just made it clear to him that she knew, So she needs to be very pointed about seeing that, you know, flick the light on, make sure it's known. And then she needs to befriend the wife. So every time he comes home from work, she's sitting there having scones with the wife. She gives him the look he knows she knows, fuck with him.
Speaker 7: Oh, you should write books, Sally. I like it as a piece of drama, But you are living next door to a whole situation, and we don't know what the story is with that couple. In order for him to be doing that, I'm not saying that you know he's he's doing the right thing, but I also know that almost every current affair episode I've ever seen has been like what happens in that house and the effect that it has on the other house, and people are calling the cops and the guy next door whistles too much, or they're they're mowing the lawn at seven am in the morning.
Speaker 3: I just think it would make for a war zone.
Speaker 5: This is my favorite bit. Look, I just love the pettier the better about neighborly war. I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 6: Want to write a d.
Speaker 4: Has very much a neighborhood book, right, I do enjoy it. If Sally is channeling her own characters, I would do nothing. I'm sorry, but I'm kind of with Mary. You do not know what reaction you're going to get. And if I'm in America, I'm really doing nothing.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely not.
Speaker 7: But also you don't know what the reaction is going to be. All of us are close to a lot of women. Half of our friends we would tell the truth to and half we wouldn't. And you are basing that decision on one whether you've had the conversation. Sometimes a friend will say, if you ever hear of anything, I.
Speaker 6: Want to know.
Speaker 7: Others will say I'd rather not know. And sometimes if you were just to, you know, give over that information, you might lose that friend forever. Yeah, you know, you think you're doing the right thing, and sometimes you know it's not taking it all well.
Speaker 4: But this is not suggesting that she actually tell her or him. It's just that she puts a little bit of like gentle pressure that maybe he comes clean and does the right thing for this is a gratiation perhaps.
Speaker 6: I mean, it depends on the relationship, I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, if they're just neighbors, you guys are no fun.
Speaker 4: But I'm with Mary. That can backfire. And even when someone breaks up like a friend and you go, yeah, then you unload every you unload the truth. I would say fifty percent of the time they're back together exactly.
Speaker 5: Well, that's friends. This is maybe you get to have some fue, you get to play god. This is what it's all about.
Speaker 4: In fact, by the way, neighbors they always talk about how when there's a serial killer living next door, or you know, someone's had the girls in the basement, they always kind of say, oh, he was such a nice man, and you know, you never would have known. And I always think I would have known. I would have known, I'm missus mangle at the cracks of the thing. I would have known that about the women in the basement. I would have been the hero, and you guys all would have been.
Speaker 7: Before we lived next door to a family we were close to. This is how bad my mother would be at neighborhood Watch. The man is bored for thirteen years up until the day before this day, and then the next day he's got a ponytail, and.
Speaker 3: My mother says, something's changed.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: And I said he was bored for thirteen years. Today he's got a ponytail. What do you think it is?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 4: It so my mother would not be you guys, I'm the one when they have got You know, if anyone knows anything.
Speaker 5: Called in everywhere, you're all thanking your lucky stars for me. So you can say you're.
Speaker 3: Next door to Sally.
Speaker 6: That's the Maralen story here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Okay, ladies, it's time the blast from the past. This is where we go back in time to a moment that we want to reshare.
Speaker 1: Who was your first pash? Who wants to start? Who's taken out?
Speaker 4: Because this this moment is embedded in my and I don't remember a lot, but this moment's embedded. I went to a pretty rough school local to my house, and I remember there was a plan for my first pash for a guy I had a crash on, Michael. I will leave his last name out of it for the sake of those involved. And I knew we were going to like have a meeting behind the sports shed and everyone was going to come watch.
Speaker 6: I was like, I don't know, be thirteen.
Speaker 4: Fourteen, okay, And I practiced with a tennis ball.
Speaker 3: It's got to be cus anyway, the whole.
Speaker 5: You cut a hole in as.
Speaker 4: So you cut so the tennis ball was like a mouth, and so you could like stick your tongue in. I might have exactly, and I might have put like a little face on it with like a mouth.
Speaker 5: You can tell she was producing with the rest of us. Did it with a mirror?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I practiced and then I turn up and basically the whole school turns up to watch, like oh, and I bit his tongue. And I never lived it down for like basically ever.
Speaker 5: Because like tennis ball doesn't have a tongue.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know, I just you know, the tongue. I was kind of a lay bloomer, believe it or not. But that was like that moment is embedded in my mind. My first pash, and we used to have like pash best as I got older, you know what I mean, like pashing pashing for those who don't know what that means, Like you know, like donk kiss, did you draw blood?
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't remember. I don't think I drew blood. It was more I drew my own embarrassment. Like it was just one of the most defining moments.
Speaker 5: I mean, you should know that you're not supposed to buy it. Yeah, what about you, Sally, what was your first past?
Speaker 4: Look?
Speaker 5: It might surprise you to hear.
Speaker 4: That I was very desperate to have my first kiss.
Speaker 5: I was again late.
Speaker 4: Everyone all of my friends had kissed and I just really wanted it and no one was interested in kissing me. You know, did you go to n I went to an all girls convent school and everyone they were there, the biggest sluts, you know, don't they?
Speaker 5: And sorry I shouldn't say that.
Speaker 3: But question were girls kissing girls? No?
Speaker 5: No, not really, I mean, or not that I knew of.
Speaker 4: And so everyone had had their go and I was and it got to the point where people were asking their brothers, you know, can.
Speaker 6: You And I got one?
Speaker 4: I got a gig was and I went and met him after school. We stood beside the rubbish bins and again friends romantic, yeah nice and dirty I could smell it, you know that, and friends around the corner waiting and probably peeking around the corner. And we had the kid. It was so short, like we barely no time to bite tongues or anything.
Speaker 5: And then he kind of pushed me back a little bit and said, whoa easy tiger.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I died. So I died.
Speaker 4: I walked back to my friends with my head hung and we walked away and I never spoke to him or saw him again.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Well I have a similar story, but not quite. It wasn't the same.
Speaker 7: So I went out with a boy that was the most popular family at our school.
Speaker 3: He was one year younger than me.
Speaker 6: His name Mary Simon Simon.
Speaker 7: Okay, anyway, Simon's family were the family.
Speaker 3: They had perpetual tans.
Speaker 7: They had a Georgian house, they had a unicycle, they had a pull.
Speaker 3: They had everything. I don't know. That was the bit that I didn't get either.
Speaker 7: Anyway, So I'm going out with Simon, and I, like Bruna, had practiced my pashing, but on citrus fruits because you can get the tongue in and out.
Speaker 3: It's nice and moist and plus it's good for you.
Speaker 7: So anyway, he walked me home from school, and I had this fantasy, and I've been practicing it in my mind that he would push me up against a cyclone.
Speaker 3: Fence, you know, because it's a bit of bounce.
Speaker 7: But you're vertical, and that I would slide my hands into his gene packed back pockets and I would squeeze his botox and then I would do my pashing. Well, it didn't happen like that. He walked me home. There was one of those low red brick fences that are sort of pathetic. They're not even a fence, and we sat down there and then it was time for us to do our big pash, and I pashed him and I put a lot into it, because I've been going a lot. It was time for the show. And then he pushed back and he said, I don't think we should pash. And these words have never been outed before if it's above twenty six degrees celsius.
Speaker 3: It was the last few days of November.
Speaker 7: Summer was literally less than a week away, and I remember at the time thinking, thank God for my sense of humor. I remember thinking, I don't think anyone's ever broken up over weather issues like this. He's done me and that was the end of this big romance between me and the.
Speaker 4: Ten dimon So getting the feeling that that because basically what you just described was what I did against the rubbish bins with Gareth, and perhaps men weren't into that.
Speaker 6: Mary too aggressive well.
Speaker 1: I'd like to take you back.
Speaker 2: I can take you back to the movie because we were all going to go, Yeah, we were all going to go on a double date. There was about twenty of us. I'm thirteen. I'm going with Rob Jeffries, who played the French horn. I never saw us his own French horns French horn. He just carry's massive French horn. Anyway, I used to get called slaphead at school because I would I would like pull my hair back into a ponytail, so I would get called slaphead. Anyway, we sat watching Never Ending Story in the cinema and the Princess do you remember, like she had like the little drop down, beautiful kind of bedueled.
Speaker 5: Thing nice on the slappad she had a.
Speaker 2: Slaphead And Stephen Phillips turned around and said, you look like her.
Speaker 1: So I was just like so happy.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we all mill out of the cinema and it's sort of winter time. It's really quiet where you know, we're by the beach and we stand up against a fish and chip shop that's closed. Rob and I and I've watched a lot of Dynasty in Dallas, yes, and I know what passion is snogging, and so I close my eyes. He closes his eyes. I go massive, open mouth. He's very closed.
Speaker 1: His nose is in my mouth.
Speaker 3: Tell me that your tongue.
Speaker 5: I feel.
Speaker 4: The common denominator of these is that they were cracked. Women are watching different movies to them in yeah.
Speaker 1: Was watching here. I don't know what he was. I love Rob, Rob, if you're listening, sweet bond memory.
Speaker 5: She'll give you another go now.
Speaker 1: I got I got.
Speaker 2: Banned from the landline because you know when back in the landline days, I used to just speak to him every night for hours about dinner and stuff. And then mum and dad put an egg timer by the phone and I could only speak to him for this last time.
Speaker 1: She Rob Jeffrey Rob, if you're listening's in my book.
Speaker 5: We had this single now and baby she could give it another go. She promises not to get your nose.
Speaker 1: What about it?
Speaker 2: French shrn And if you've still got the.
Speaker 5: Before, we make that right.
Speaker 2: Well on that note, Rob's horn and all the other things that we've discussed today.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Unleashed.
Speaker 2: Keep sending us everything you want to send us, do it on Instagram and leashed dot show quick one. Actually, do you know most people that listen to this show.
Speaker 1: Don't actually follow it.
Speaker 2: Come on, I know, so they just need to hit their plus button their podcast and then we pop up because I don't remember to do stuff. Everyone wants one less thing to do on the to do list. Surely, Okay, until next time, Stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, Stay unleash, Stay unlea next Tuesday. So that's Unleashed. If you like that, if any part of it made you laugh, you can find us by searching Unleashed wherever you get your podcasts and hitting follow. New episodes drop every Tuesday. And if you've been here since the four five six Club, thank you truly, I'd love you to come with me