Speaker 1: Hello, spill Is. It's Laura brodney keire, host of the Spill. Before we get into the episode, I do have a confession to make and that is Emily Vernon and I did something really, really bad and Emily, you're allowed to talk. Hey, we're both complicit in this. So the Odyssey and this this bit's not in us. The Odyssey is a famously long story, one of the longest stories ever told. The movie is over three hours. We tried to do this Broodly Honors review in one episode. We failed miserably. We talked for too long and as punishment for us, but as a gift to you, guys, we've been told we have to split the episode into two parts.
Speaker 2: So this is a two part of Broodley Honest review.
Speaker 1: And guys, it is so word do we want to talk about the whole movie and we can't. Guys, we can't condense this. We tried, We've recorded it. It's so good and funny and just off the rails weird. We can't cut it. So it's coming too in two parts. So enjoy enjoying part one today and keep an eye on your feed for part two of our Broodly review of The Odyssey coming soon from Mama Mia. Welcome to the spill your daily pop culture Fixed.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Broadneck and I'm Burnham.
Speaker 1: And welcome to the long awaited two weeks brutally honest review of The Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I wanted to talk about this for so.
Speaker 1: We have been desperate to talk about this. We have tried in like in the office and things, not to talk about this too much, or after we saw it together in the IMAX, fighted our lives not to sit near the front. And we usually do these reviews a week after the movie comes out, but we thought because there was such a wait list to get into cinemas, we would give you guys, know, people.
Speaker 2: Who are like on the wait list to see it in November.
Speaker 1: That's craziness. Well, I hope those people are still listening. Spoiler alert for Look, I hate people saying like this story came out like a thousand years ago, like you obviously don't know what Christ.
Speaker 2: It only works for us because we want to talk about it.
Speaker 1: We cannot wait any longer. So spoilers for the Odyssey. But look, we obviously aren't going to cover everything years three hours long. I'll also preface this by saying that often with our brilliant reviews, I like to bring on a few filmmaking facts, behind the scenes facts, facts about the actors. That's going to be light today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though, well, I think we touched on it more and now we can watch review of like the cinematography and the practical effects and the cyclops head soxit talking about that. So this is gonna be a bit more of a looser Yeah, run through. This is like men and monsters, my two favorite things. I've actually watched it twice. That's crazy. Who did you see it with the second time?
Speaker 2: I saw it with a friend, Okay, okay, okay, Because when I.
Speaker 1: Was my dad, God, my dad, I feel like he would be interested in this movie.
Speaker 2: I know he doesn't like fantasy, he doesn't like fantasy. I think he'd be really into it because it's a lot of action.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've heard so many people taking their dads to see it. That's why I asked that, Because so many dads to see it and they're like, love the war, I'm sure of the monsters nure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good. I'm sure my dad's review.
Speaker 1: I just know it.
Speaker 2: But I wanted to watch it in another cinema. I actually was the one who dragged my friend to watch it because I really wanted to watch it for the second time because I did feel like not everywhere has an IMAX, Like we were lucky enough to go to the premiere and watch it in the Sydney Imax. It isn't even the imax as they filmed.
Speaker 1: It for, No, it's even one of those like what forty in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Melbourne the only one in the Southern Hemisphere to have it, and I was like, look, I need to see it in their different cinema to see if it's still like as good, because I think there was a lot of controversy of people saying, if you're going to film it an IMAX, there's no point watching it on this on the smallest screen because you're missing like good chunks of the actual screen. I watched it in palace cinemas, so I try to find like the.
Speaker 1: Smallest cinema is a tiny cinema and it's like no bigger than a normal like teasing screen. Some of the cinemas in palacinema are like the size of my apartment.
Speaker 2: It's so small. It was like very, very tiny. My friend was like, is this how big it goes?
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry I did I did this.
Speaker 2: I was on the like ground boots on the ground journalism. I wanted to see it is as good. I think it's just the cinema experience, which we said in our Weekend Watch. It's as good like. It's not like a subplot's happening in the sky, in the sky that we're not seeing. In fact, I will say that even though I watch it for the second time in the smaller cinema, I was actually jumping a bit more because it's such a small room. I think the sand was rebounding and much louder the cyclops scream in the like smallert cinema, I was like out of my skin. It was so scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for anyone if you're panting about not getting IMAX tickets or you can't fly in Melbourne or Singapore or one of the places the IMAX is we're not asking you to do. Don't listen to those bros on TikTok who are like, you won't see the movie. It's that you won't see the top of Likeamemnon's helmets, gotta frill You're fine, you see it from far the minute he's close up, you don't. There's one shot you don't see the top of Tom Holland's head. He's a brunette. It's filled it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got like a tiny forehead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all ends. Okay, So here we go the Odyssey gonna say the Odysseus, yeah, and has an issue where she's you're calling Odysseus the Lee character, right, you're calling him Damon. No, that's his that's his given name. Yes, his government name's government name. Calling him the Odyssey, I.
Speaker 2: Keep calling him, and I keep calling the movie these why did they do that?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Why do they get? Why are they so close together? Like the Odyssey and Odysseus. I saw a meme saying I know why it's called the Odyssey because odd things happen at the sea, And he's like why.
Speaker 1: I don't know if the original text by Homer says that, or any of the interpretations of like ancient Greek mythology.
Speaker 2: But you read that, Emily Wilson, I did. I've just started that. I love it, and especially now that I know her viewpoint on the movie, I'm loving it even more. She does not like the film.
Speaker 1: No, she does it for anyone who doesn't know. Emily Wilson was actually the first woman and to write a translation of the which just crazy because when she did hers, it was like twenty seventeen and it was not long ago. Yeah, and a lot of people like, that's their favorite version to read. A few people like she watered it down. No, she didn't, just because she made it fun. And when Christopher Nolan was making The Odyssey, he used that as one of his primary texts that he referenced. And everyone must be like, oh god, she Emily must be thrilled. No, she was not.
Speaker 2: She was not. She specifically wanted to point out that there was no sex scenes and the food looked horrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the lack of sex was such a sexy, sexy story. Yeah, it was actually quite crazy. Okay, so we start off. We must start sorry for three hour movies, so this will be a three our pod record. No, I wish I would actually be love that. So we start off with Ogysseus played by Matt Damon, the King of Ithaca.
Speaker 2: Are we thinking Oscar numb for this? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's time for Matt Daimon just to get a career Oscar because he's one one for writing, for writing Goodwill hunting. He won one straight up the Teenager. Yeah, but I think he's had so many since No, but he's I think he's maybe been nominated, but he's definitely never won it. He's never won an acting.
Speaker 2: This is the first time he's been a main character in a Christopher Nolan film. He's worked with Christopher Nolan multiple times.
Speaker 1: He pops up somewhere.
Speaker 2: He's always popped up somewhere. He's always had like smaller roles, yes, and this is his first like major, big role.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because Christopher Nolan cast him, not because he loves working with him, and Christopher Nolan likes he's very Ryan Murphy in that way. He likes to get his people and keeps them on every project. But he said, Matt Damon is the right person to play Odysseus in his opinion, because Odysseus is like this warrior king, but he's also in every Man in that you see him go through like these terrible situations where he is like but a man, and he's like it's like that Damon. In my head, I was like, say what now? But then he said, Matt Damon is Jason Bourne, but he also plays like in every Man, and he's like from Boston and stuff.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, it is very Matt Damon character.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because he is like one of the roles of Matt Damon's career. And Christopher Nolan said when they were like doing the fittings for the costumes and things, he noticed he had a tattoo in his army. He doesn't like when actors have tattoos because it takes so long to cover them up. And he was like you too, like why would you have that, You're an actor, And Matt Damon said, I'm gonna be honest. I thought my bicep days were over. He's showing a bicep. He's like, now I can put my kids' names on there. Oh, that's very not us. Feeling sorry for Matt Damon, that rich white.
Speaker 2: Man, A beautiful rich white man.
Speaker 1: So yes, the King of Ithaca who sets off on a wee journey to Troy, where he remains for ten years fighting the war, leaving behind his wife, Penelope played by Anne Hathaway.
Speaker 2: I also think Oscar Win for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, potentially, I think definitely, no, definitely a nomination, whether she'll win or not. I mean, can I just say something controversial. I love Anne Hathaway to death. I love her so much. She would much more deserving to win an Oscar for this than lame Is. I don't think that's the role. She should have won an Oscar for that. Sometimes things work out like that.
Speaker 2: I forgot you won for lame Is. But this role was insane. Some of the monol and this were brilliant. There's just one part towards the end of the film where she just is so passionate and so emotional, and everyone in the cinema jumped a little yeah, big bad scream.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I think I've heard the studio. We're just like very conflict at the moment, whether in the awards race, in the Oscars race to run her as lead or supporting, because she's got more of a chance of winning supporting, but also technically she is the female lead of the movie. But then also if she's in supporting, she could not she has There's a lot of women this movie who could also be supporting, so they'll cancel each other.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's always a case of scares. But then sometimes like the supporting actor role can be massive, like we're seeing it with the Emmy's right where everyone is so deserving. But I feel like she could bat lea it out as lead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something, something to look forward.
Speaker 2: To, something to look forward.
Speaker 1: To, come Oscar season. And then we also have Tom Holland obviously plays their son. Later on, he's a baby when Ojesse sets off on his fleet of ship to I did know. I'm not giving that baby a second thought. Okay, is your takeaway.
Speaker 2: Breaking moment for that baby?
Speaker 1: That baby had his chance to start them. Oh No, I feel about what every other actor's name in the whole movie bad.
Speaker 2: Because we've talked in length about how annoying it is when TV and movies use like fake like crazy baby, and you finally get a real one you don't appreciate.
Speaker 1: Don't appreciate him. Maybe they'll run him in supporting Actors he crawls up on stage to get but anyway, fun fun aside. Tom Holland plays their adult son, Telemachus.
Speaker 2: Telemachusm Chus, Telemachus Telemachus.
Speaker 1: A good memory trick is give me a kiss, Temelochus.
Speaker 2: Give me a kiss Telemachus.
Speaker 1: No, and You're gonna have to pull it together because we have more, we have bigger names are coming.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Also, our producer has just found the baby actor's name for us. What is it, Mickey shallow Mickey shallow Wick.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, remember that name? Well done, Mickey from me?
Speaker 1: Is Mickey his full name? What do we think?
Speaker 2: I think it's for Michelais Michelangelo.
Speaker 1: Well Well done, Mickey, your m's favorite stand out of the movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Melchis yes, Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Odisseus has to go off and fight the war.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even want to, but because like he's a bro, he has to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he knows that mum noon will because even though Penelope says like we could run, yeah, we could like sail away and just follow the sunset, and he was like, absolutely not, because you know what, they're going to kill every person in.
Speaker 2: And I know that because he killed his own daughter. Yeah yeah, just to get like a good wind.
Speaker 1: Just to get some calms. But you know what, when we see what happens to Odisseus, it actually was a good call. Yeah. Maybe Osseus should have Melis slashed Mickey and then he wouldn't have had all the issues he's had he has upon return, and this could have been a novella instead of like fifty pages go to Toy comes back strong Wind. No, it was all fun, okay, So we'll jump ahead to what's happening in Troy. Also, guys, As you guys know, the original poem goes back and forth, back and forth, back and forth in like different time frames and narrators and all these different things, because.
Speaker 2: It's all about like people like retelling their version of the story of what happened at the Trojan War.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, and the movie also jumps around quite a bit. So we're going to try and follow this through as much as we can, but just just bear with us. So in Troy, they're on the beach for ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy but also fun holiday.
Speaker 1: Yeah you said that a few times before. What about that's not a beach day, Like you don't get sunscreened and a drink. You're like knee deep in that armor in the water.
Speaker 2: They're working on a big project together.
Speaker 1: One war was like that most of the half they had. The reason they had to take such big armies is that half of them would just pass away from dysentery and sickness and like vomiting and diary before they even got there. That's why I have to take a lot of embarrassing what do you mean, Imagine going to war and you die and then it's because of diarrhea. You don't even get slain. No, Emily, that happens a lot.
Speaker 2: In history that I would hate that to be me.
Speaker 1: There's no good outcome in this.
Speaker 2: Just leave you at the beach.
Speaker 1: No, well, if you die in the way there, they just tip your wody over the side. Jeez.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and that's why he keeps getting in trouble because he's never burying his men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's obviously like a huge thing in Greek topology. So they get there, and you can see that Odysseus is like part of this plan of like pretending that the classic story, the classic switcheroo, pretending that they've left but actually being inside the horse that is then taken into Troy. And a kind of sad part of the movie is that sign On played by Elliot Page.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, also Oscar nomination. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 1: He was so misinformation that he was playing Achilles, who is in the Iliad not even in Yeah, in history, that is right, but wow, I don't want your mind is such a mess.
Speaker 2: I know, it's really confusing.
Speaker 1: And I thought it was out now that everyone knew that he wasn't playing Achilles, that Achilles is.
Speaker 2: Not in this.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Chill is not in this. It's not it's not history, completely different. We know what happens arrow through the arrow, through the heel, and then he's done. You know when they were filming Troy brad Pitt bruised his Achilles tendon. They had to shut the whole movie down.
Speaker 2: Well, that is what happened. He's like he was acting, he.
Speaker 1: Was all the way to He's like, my uncle hurts. Okay. So then the sad thing is that Synon was obviously tricked by Antinous played by Rob Pants. And who will get.
Speaker 2: To okay, okay, I need you to get to this.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, confession, I have a confession. We had to circle around diarrhea and a baby.
Speaker 2: I still, after watching this movie twice, I still didn't really understand and I tried to look it up and I'm still very complicated. To hit me with it on what happened with a tenuous? Yeah, a tenuous and sign On because I isn't a tenuous. He has been telling everyone that he wanted to go, but he wasn't accepted. But he was actually quite he didn't want to go.
Speaker 1: Yes, so aus Antinoous is what we call a war coward. Yes, so he was too scared to go to war and that's obviously really bad for your family. So he tricked sign On, who was the son of a servant, into going in his place, and that's what happened. And Onus kind of sees it happened, and he kind of allows it to happen, and that's also why he's very upset later on when he learns out that sign On was the one who volunteered to stay with the horse because he because in his mind, Odesseus knew that person would die and.
Speaker 2: He couldn't tell sign So Sinon doesn't know that all the men are in the horse and he's sacrificing his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've watched this movie twice. That's fine.
Speaker 2: Wow, No, because that's actually real shit, I know.
Speaker 1: But otherwise the war was never going to end emly. He was just a young look I to die, I know. But when odysse has made the plan. He knew whichever soldiers stayed on the beach because that soldier, he knew that soldier would die and in their last breath, dying men just tell the truth was his thinking. This is direct dialogue from the movie. This isn't like a hidden, hidden secret, and so whoever was out there needed to believe it. So they kill sign On and they take the horse into Troy, into the big gates of Troy that before that they had not been able to penetrate. The Trojan horse. Is interesting because it's not how we've seen the horse presented previously, where it's sort of been like outside the gates, like on wheels or like slats that you could pull. It's kind of like buried in the sand. They have to pull it in. And that's because for a moment there, Christopher Nolan was going to direct Troy, the brad Pitt Troy that you Love, Yes, And when he was sort of percolating in his head, that's how he imagined the horse. Yeah, so he saved it for the Odyssey. Interesting, and when they were filming it, all the men were actually in that horse on the beach because like it.
Speaker 2: Was dying, they like we walked around the method.
Speaker 1: Apparently it was super uncomfortable because there was water in there, and Christopher Nolan got in with them and he was shooting with his face came and they were in there for hours, like all wet and soggy and starving and sick. And that's just the actors. That's not even the soldiers that you were worried about.
Speaker 2: Wow, my god, imagine getting diarrhea in there. Oh please don't.
Speaker 1: That's unlike, there's so many reasons i'd be about at war, but like the germs, ger I could not. I could not.
Speaker 2: It would smell so bad in that Trojan Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're in there for like twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: That's why the people were so mad when it came into Troy. They're like, this smells gross. Take it out, take it out of our city.
Speaker 1: And so they pulled the holes in there. We've got to keep moving on because we're not.
Speaker 2: Let It was like a gift to Athena, yes, because as kind of like a peace treaty kind of symbolism, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was for the people of Troy.
Speaker 2: But oh, okay, okay, I thought it was like a symbol of peace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was meant to be like, it's like, hey, guys, like a gift. We're sorry that we've been trying to break into your city and killing people for ten years. That's how bad. We're going to get a nice ships and sail away, and we're going to leave this horse that you guys can take as like a symbol. And I think that. Yeah, they are putting it into like Athena's temple, and some.
Speaker 2: Of the horse looked good. Yeah, the horse.
Speaker 1: I can took it because.
Speaker 2: Sometimes see the dark oak.
Speaker 1: You see this like gross trojan horse, You're like, why are.
Speaker 2: Ye Troy Troy Trojan horse?
Speaker 1: Yuck? Yeah, don't bring that into myself. How would you bring that weird pokey horse here? Yeah, it's all of those things. You're like, well, someone's gonna have to take that out to the rubbish, like exactly, so don't bring it upstairs kind of thing. But this is no noble stea Like yeah, yeah, I can understand riding up on its own. I can understand why they pulled that, and I'm sore. Several men died just getting that inside. Yeah, so many people died dealing with this horse. So they get the horse inside. A few men are killed in the horse when they're stabbing the sword story because they're checking that no one's in there.
Speaker 2: Even though they did stab a man and drew blood, he was probably just like, oh, there's some red painting here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it's fun. And then at night time, under cover of darkness, Odysseus and his men exit the horse and slaughter everyone.
Speaker 2: Site best scene in the movie. Really, yeah, I love that scene. What the scene went, soldiers is killing each other. That's the best scene in the Odyssey. The like quiet creeping scene of like them creeping around.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you can see that in any No, that was movie. Now, That's why I love The Expendables so much. You know me, Oh my god, do not like heart pumping. I'm like, these boys are winning.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know if I should be on their side historically speaking, but I was in the movie.
Speaker 1: It's so important to point out that Troy is that wasn't a real battle that happened. There was no real Trojan Horse.
Speaker 2: No, So Troy is real, but everything else is kind of fake. Right yeah, okay, okay, do you think the tourism for Troy is just going to skyrocket? Now?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Probably we should.
Speaker 2: Go, we should care, we should go a spill trip.
Speaker 1: Transylvania, Troy.
Speaker 2: We need all the made up places.
Speaker 1: God don't get that stune. Okay, So then the battle is done and obviously we're jumping run of it here, and then Odysseus and his men they've got to sail home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this should be the easy part of the trip, right. You would think they didn't know because they didn't sacrifice a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they see Agamemnon just take off with the blood of his child, just like pushing him along in the wind, and Odysseus, adventure that he is, says, let's not go that way. And the men on his ship this is the first time they should have got an inkling that this man was going to lead them astray. They say, hey, man, we should have just sail into the ocean without knowing. Because the other route was like the plan route where they knew which islands to stop at to get food. This one was just like, this is like going on a road trip and just not checking if there's like someone you can stop to get petrol exactly along the way, which I have done before. Scary, and let me tell you RACQRE and RMA do not bring like petrol or ten hour drive.
Speaker 2: You you were Odysseus.
Speaker 1: I have been diseus, let me tell you that much. But they take off that way and things start to go right. Okay, We'll get into the rest of our characters as we go through, as we meet them along the way, because our first stop is they stop at an island and they see sheep. They see one little shit. Now, they could have just shot that one sheep and eaten him. Although it is like five thousand men, so.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of men. This whole movie is like these men on a bode going land and then getting online and then going back to the boat, and it happens like eight times, and every time they see land, they forget what happened in the last island and they're just excited all over again.
Speaker 1: I do because when I sat down to like plot out my notes of how we would do this episode, I was like, oh my god, how am I gonna put like how am I going to structure this into like plot points that we can follow? But my notes are like, find this island, this creature attacks, find this island, these creature attacks, find this island and the middle it just crew dead dead dead dead.
Speaker 2: Like people are dying left right. And yet every time they see an island.
Speaker 1: They're like another one. Yeah, like maybe this time things will be different. So they get to an island, they see the sheep, and then Odysseus because he's smart, he's smart and wiley. In the original text, he's a lot more of like a smart, wiley trickster in this. They tried to make Matt Damon just sometimes a bit too much of like an every man. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They wanted him to be very likable in this, like his character, whereas when I was reading like bits about the poem Odysseus and that, it's not that likable.
Speaker 1: Guy's mean half the time, people like he's mean. He's arrogant every man.
Speaker 2: He loves, he loves tricking people.
Speaker 1: He lies, he sleeps around. In this he is like he's not sleeping with anyone. Last time he was like, monster sleep with a woman. Monsters sleep with a woman. Anyway, this is whole The Odyssey is really just a cautionary tale against men and fake horses and the sea. Yeah, things to avoid.
Speaker 2: And Christopher Nolan's version is like these men are great look at them go.
Speaker 1: So they follow one of the sheep into the cave and they find it heard of sheep, so exciting. But then and they found cheese as well. Yeah, but the cheese was not belonging to the sheep. It was belonging to their master, the Cyclops, polyphemous, polypemous. He has the name Emily. God made me look up the name of the baby actor. And you're not even going to give the give the Cyclops.
Speaker 2: I thought cyclopsis his name.
Speaker 1: No, a Cyclops is what he is. That's like someone pointing you going, I thought her name was human, could be not saying like her name is Emily. Okay, so disrespect son of Poseidon, yes, son of Poseidon, which we don't find out till later.
Speaker 2: So very loudly, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was angry, Dad, he was so sad. He's one of my favorite. When I saw poly femous, And if anyone who has studied Greek literature out there, it is like, that's not exactly how you pronounce it. Guys, I am doing my best, and all I can say is I'm doing better than Emily. So let's just go with it. You know who I'm talking about. Let's just keep going. My favorite moment, one of my three favorite moments of the movie is when Polypemous appears on screen for the first time. I love that huge puppet so much and the site that he is not cgi and he was actually in a cave. Yeah, they should put that in a museum.
Speaker 2: That's a real big puppet ahead, they really should. When I first watched it, I was like, oh my god, the cyclops is so scary. And when I watched it for the second time, I'm like, you know what. He was just minding his own business, tending to his flock of sheep, making cheese in his own little home, and then these men like men do, barged in, made it their home, started stealing his cheese and then started.
Speaker 1: Attacking him, and then got angry when he shut the door. And I was like, also, they're like ants to him. He doesn't know they're humans with like places to be exactly. He's just eating the little ant things crawling around his house.
Speaker 2: They're eating his food.
Speaker 1: Just going to eat it, and so they're stuck in there for a couple of days, and that he keeps just like picking them off one by one, eating them.
Speaker 2: He eats like two at a time and then goes to sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's he's got like a dice at a schedule. Yeah, he's like only two I'll say the rest of later. He's like, it's like he's got that life. He's he's stretching out his human snacks. So Odsseuse of his men make a plot that they'll sneak out dressed as sheep in the original text that you have to like hang underneath the sheep. Well, in the text they you're probably not at this part of the book yet where they kind of talk to him, Yeah, I have a dialog. They become almost friendly with him, and Odysseus tells him my name is nobody, which is a big plot point that isn't carried over in the movie. So it's very high stakes in the movie though, when the door opens and they're under the sheep and there this is like their one moment of escape, and before that they have like shoved that poker into his life. Why does it feel like it would hurt more having a poker in one eye if you've only got one eye, that it would hurt having a poker in one eye if you have two eyes.
Speaker 2: Well, because I feel like if if it went into I'm thinking for us, it'll be like having a two pick stabbed into our eyes. Yeah, well, at least we have another eye to look out. And that's so true because he doesn't even get to stabbed once, and then they get to stabbed twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, justice for poly Femus. I hope he gets a spin off.
Speaker 2: And like they escaped and he realizes they escaped and he's like, oh, well, I guess they're gone.
Speaker 1: And then he's like yeah, and this is I guess where and you.
Speaker 2: Know what, And then after everything that happened, Matt Damon deserved that.
Speaker 1: Okay, OUs, Yes, you're right. Matt Damon shoots an arrow through his eye because he's so angry that he's killed some of his men and that they didn't get to bury their bodies. And that's important because they needed a reason for him to like look arrogant, so that he's The punishment that happens afterwards fits because in the original text, sorry spoilers for all the books you're gonna read about this. In the original text, he always says, my name is nobody. So when he stabs him, the cyclops Polyfemous calls out, nobody is hurting me. Nobody is hurting me. And other people hear it, they're like, well, no one's hurting him, like pray just's like gotcha. But then as they're fleeing in the in the original text, Odysseus yells back to him, my name is Odysseus, classic man. And then that means poly Femous has a name to tell his dad so that his dad can curse him.
Speaker 2: Well, just just wanted to put his name on his work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So in the movie, the other side of that is that that's when poly Femous chases them down to the beach. That scene kills two more men slices.
Speaker 2: So that's pretty much a disease. If he didn't do that, then you'd have two more.
Speaker 1: And his men are yelling at him, why did you do that?
Speaker 2: And he's like, because they should.
Speaker 1: Have known then he was a bad leader. And that yelling that you hear, that's almost on descript is him yelling to his father Poseidon to curse them, and he does.
Speaker 2: He does, And Himesh Patel is just like, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, obsessed with him so good.
Speaker 2: I didn't expect we've talked about this in a week and watch. But he is in the movie so much more than what I expected because I haven't seen him in many of the press tours or the red carpets.
Speaker 1: He's a big star. He's like another lead, way more screen time than like and this is all fits in the movie. But he has way more screen time than like Zendeya exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he should definitely get a supporting even if he doesn't, because so much of his performance is just his face acting. Yeah, and that's so hard because he's just reacting to everything that Odysseus slash Matt Damon is doing, and his face is getting more less trusting and more traumatized with each island they approach.
Speaker 2: And he is like his second in command, and he's grown up with him and everything, so he's known him for a very very long time. And you can slowly see like the power shift from the men looking towards him instead of Matt Damon.
Speaker 1: Yep, his aus by the way, Eurylicus instead of Odysseus. Yeah, oh thank god, right, good job. Okay, So then they get to another island, they're like, oh my god, that cyclop right, everything's gonna be fine. And then they're like, oh man, that cyclops thing was crazy, but here we will get food. And this time they do go in a little bit more respectful. They are like they are larning. They see a child in the woods and.
Speaker 2: Second Island, Yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: The Second Island. And then we they say the child like, it's fine, don't scream. The child screams, and the next week and then tells like, what is wrong with you? Matt Damon's like, I think it's a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the child. Then who are his parents?
Speaker 1: And then we see the parents coming through. Because this is the Island of the Giants.
Speaker 2: And this isn't This is what makes me go I love practical effects. I'm CG. I could never do that.
Speaker 1: It's so so they're in like suits of armor, which again is an interpretation I've never seen them in before, but it kind of works for the movie. They are men eating flesh eating giants, and they see Odysseas in his crew and they just viciously charge at them and start ripping them apart. And there's that really iconic shot that was used for a lot of the posters where you see Odysseus like grab his sword and put his arm up and one of the giants chases towards him, and you're right, that's not cgi. That's Matt Damon's stunt double in that shot with the big muscly arm, who's like a five foot two woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like all of the soldier in that scene, we're all stunt doubles who are mainly women. I've seen a big group photo of like all the women because they all have like beards and stuff, and all the giants are played by like seven foot tall men.
Speaker 1: Are all seven foot tall men. So that shot is a five foot two woman playing Matt Damon and then the yeah, the giant is a seven foot tall man just in his normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And watching it the second time after I knew this fact was just so brilliant, Like the camera work for that scene is brilliant because Matt Damon and the men they're like are only in the close ups, and then in the fire away shot you can, like, I guess if you're really looking for it, obviously, when we're able to tell right off the bat, but you can see when the stunt doubles come in and they're like, I think the artistry they do in the choreography of the like killings and the fire is just brilliant in that scene. And then the forest moves and the trees trap them. Yeah, it's like crazy and it just shows like there's no hope in that scene, Yeah, for any of them to win.
Speaker 1: And you see Odysseus and his men get back onto their boat and only just barely make it away, and then you see the giants complete, and then there's a scene where you just see Odysseus's faces. He watches pretty much his entire fleet of men, his army be just like ripped apart.
Speaker 2: All the other boats are shredded. Yeah, his boat is the only one that comes out. So then now they from like going into a giant fleet back to Ithaca. It's now just him a few of his men on one boat.
Speaker 1: One boat, and they are now two islands down, zero food, zero food things. Things are not looking good for our heroes at this stage of the game. So that then, of course, when they get to the next island, I think they're looking a bit islandland this time, they're a bit like at the time, they're a bit like m this is but they're starving, which is why Euryliculus tells Odysseus. He's like, man, you gotta stand on the boat. Yeah, I know you're my boss.
Speaker 2: We don't trust you.
Speaker 1: He's like, I know you're my boss, and we've grown up together and you're the King Vika, but you have terrible plans. Mind the boat, you mind the boat. You your job is to guard the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They've got a lot of inspiration from prior to the Caribbean.
Speaker 1: I think. Yeah, in some ways the Odyssey is.
Speaker 2: Betel Is like Jack Sparrow. Yeah, and my damon is Willy Land of Bloom.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see it. So yeah, that Leva just hears to guard the boat because he can't be trusted, literally stays to do anything, and they're already just trusting him. I'm like, guys, we have so much more movie to go. Things are only going to get worse for you guys, And they do. They do get worse. We're coming to my second favorite scene of the movie. No, my second favorite scene of all. Like, I have three favorite scenes, and this is one of the three. The other one was ply famous. My guy. They get to this island and there's it's shot so differently from the other two. There's an eeriness to it. It's it's hazy, like you can't really get a lock on it. The camera's moving.
Speaker 2: It very like just it's just stay safe.
Speaker 1: Very safe. But also I know I felt claustrophobic in that scene, like even though it's a big open island, I was just like, this is something, something's wrong here. That's when you know Witchcraft.
Speaker 2: Exactly, because they're walking up to they see so the reason they stop at the island is because they see is like smoke coming out, so like, oh, there's civilization.
Speaker 1: Someone's cooking.
Speaker 2: And then they stop at the island, they see it's just one house. It has smoke coming out. Someone's living there, someone's cooking there. So the men walk up there. Ossy is like, whatever, I'm going to find food for you guys, because I know you guys won't find it, and he goes hunting with his well, i'll show you. As they're walking towards a house, they see some exotic wildlife.
Speaker 1: And the wildlife is not acting like wildlife. There's humanity behind their eyes, but very much like there's a warning in their eyes, a mominous warning. They're watching the men go past is like a full lion and a tiger and things, and they just like, not like attacking the men, they're just watching them go. And the men approach this little hut on top of the mountain and they come across a woman who was initially quite terrified of them and begs them not to hurt her. Yeah, and also fair.
Speaker 2: Fair. If I was a woman and there, I'd be like, yep, this is my time. Yeah, I'm done, I'm done. I guess I'll die.
Speaker 1: A group of men approaching you, a group of men in armor, yeah, but just a group of a group of brewers together approaching you in ancient Greek times dangerous and in prison times also dangerous public, private, It's a bad sign, no matter.
Speaker 2: What world you're living in. So she's obviously terrified.
Speaker 1: And then you're really close to our guy, who's now the leader, is like, we're not going to hurt you, but we are quite hungry.
Speaker 2: We just want to eat, and she's like, I have food, and boy does she?
Speaker 1: And does she? Because oh my god, I love this scene so much, like it made my skin crawl.
Speaker 2: So she serves them. There's like soup that didn't look great, but I guess if you're starving, then they look very good.
Speaker 1: We're like, do you have something else?
Speaker 2: I'm an Emily Wilson. I agree with the food look terrrible.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's meant to look like overly appetizing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, live on the island by herself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a fresh stew that she pulls into the bowls. They sit on the table and they start eating, and all of a sudden they become like in this trance where they're like shoveling their fead.
Speaker 2: They're like aggressively eating. They're choking on their food, but they can't stop eating. And then she kind of starts touching their faces, deforming them, making them turn into mythical beings which end up being pigs.
Speaker 1: It's such an incredible, unsettling scene of body horror, which is so different to all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the camera did not pull away from.
Speaker 1: Them, No, and so different to a lot of just like the more kind of straightforward like violence deaths, stabbing, being ripped apart that we've seen all the other scenes. But this is such a kind of slow, grotesque, unsettling moment that it feels more brutal than the battle scenes. Yeah, when you're watching it, because you see her like pull at their faces and push their jaws in and they're feeling it, like they don't in a trance or anything. They can they can't move, but they can feel the pain of this. So this is Circey.
Speaker 2: We find out.
Speaker 1: A I mean, there's a lot of different interpretations of her, but she's both a goddess and like a witch.
Speaker 2: And yeah, they call her a witch because I am scared of her, and they should be. But she is a goddess, like she understands what's happening, Like she knows who they are, she knows what's happened at the walls. She knows like what their futures entail.
Speaker 1: And so she turns them into pigs, which is a childhood fear of mine.
Speaker 2: Being turned into a pig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you not seen the movie Willow? Oh my god, It's one of my favorite favorite movies of all time. It's kind of into your family movie, but I watched as a kid. There's it's pretty traumatent, but I love it so much. It's a it's a fantasy movie. Like I've got a list of movies and I'm watching again now after the I mean I've seen a million times, but I watched the eighties Clash of the Titans the other day, and that holds up so well. And I watched Jason and the Argonauts. That holds up so well. Oh my god, you would love it the like again, all practical effects so incredible. And I've got to rewatch Willow And there's a scene in that where an evil witch turns an entire army into pigs and it's really including val Kilma, who's like the hero. Yeah, and it's really grotesque. And as a kid, I would always run away and hide for that scene and like one of my sisters or brother would call me back when it was it still happen. So in the movie, when I was seeing Next to You and Teena, I was like, no, what's happening again? Like I knew this was going to happen again to me at some stage in my life. So she turns into pigs and then puts it out the pig yard and that's where they'll stay, yeah, forever, until Odysseus realizes that something is afoot and he tracks up to the little cottage.
Speaker 2: He comes to the cottage, and he's automatically suspicious because he's kind of seeing all the and for some reasons.
Speaker 1: Suspicious is like an eerie island. All these exotic animals are walking past him, being like go away.
Speaker 2: Oh, but he kind of knows because he killed a deer. Yeah, and when he went to get the deer turned into a man.
Speaker 1: To a man who would also wrongs.
Speaker 2: And then he was just like, oh, no, no, I know what those boys are.
Speaker 1: Like, those crazy kids. What have they done? Now?
Speaker 2: So he as he's walking up and then they're like exotic animals for some reason when they see him, they're more vocal than we'll like, stay back.
Speaker 1: I think they're trying to tell him, like she's already turned your men into pigs, like running.
Speaker 2: Run, bro, But he does it. He goes in, and he also sees like all the armor laid out in the back. He goes in, he sits down, She offers him a meal. He looks suspiciously at the ball and just starts talking to her, and by like she's got the crow that's next to her that starts crowing crowing at him. And then the pigs are like banging on the doors. Are they're trying to say, cute brother, it is brotherhood. And then he just immediately knows he knows that they are pigs, and he grabs the crow.
Speaker 1: And he's like, is this your sister? I mean sure, she's yes, we get we get on better this way everyone who's got a sister.
Speaker 2: I think I'm pretty sure. I sent that to my sister and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, you you should be a crow. Oh and then she's obvious and so the first time ever, she's like quite distressed. Yeah, and he also starts to reason with her. Here's my I have only a very few beefts with Christopher Nolan this movie, because I do think it's incredible movie. What has Christopher Nolan got against a little sexy time? That's the whole reason we come to a book with her? Oh yeah really? In the original story, he seduces Circe and they have wild sex as a prank, no what no, so that she'll release his bitch, but also because she's beautiful and he wants to have sex with her, so he seduces her, they have sex, she turns his men back. He stays with her for a year Emily, and they have a child together. Where was that in the book? I mean, we can skip the child. We've already had a little biki the start. We're fine where's the wild sex. I wanted to see that.
Speaker 2: Not in a weird way.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I've had to watch so many men grunt and moan in this movie. What about a little wild sex.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: There's no sex in this movie and the story. And like, I'm not one of those widows who was like put sex in for no reason. But the original Texas women in it, that's your processing, that, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like they didn't even like elude journey sexy time between.
Speaker 1: No, well, they were completely I don't know, it's Nolan's interpretation. They have completely changed the story, Like that's not the story here was so mad. So I don't know why Christopher Nolan seems to be like quite anti sex with this particular movie. It's all in the original test. He wouldn't have to like make things up.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's got four kids, so he knows, he knows how it happens. I think he was just very much like this is action. This is about this man's story, and these women are really like conflicting the story for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he was old.
Speaker 2: That's probably why Emily Wilson was subset with it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because she was like, hey, I put the sex in my book. Maybe also he was so obsessed with Odysseus being like liked by the audience, and I'm like, I would have like maybe liked him more if he'd had a sexy year on the island with Sircy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then it also would have felt like, does he really want to get back because it's having a really good time.
Speaker 1: Well, I think so. They had to make him a real wife guy in the movie. Like in the movie, he's a real wife guy, but he's just been waiting there by herself with a tapestry exactly. It's like they think we're not adult enough to understand that he would have a bit of sex along the way. Yeah, but that is the original story. They hook up and he's like so smitten with her. He's like, you turn my man into pigs, but you know what, you're great in bed. And then they have sex for like a year and hangout and they have a baby together, and then he's like, I do have to go home?
Speaker 2: Wait and the men are still pigs this whole time.
Speaker 1: No, I do from memory, they do change it back. No, that would be the ultimate dec I.
Speaker 2: Love it when she changes them back because she's just like, back in your disguises. Yeah, like that is such a good word. They already are pigs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something to think about.
Speaker 2: But she changes them back and then she tells them about like the future of his trip, and she tells him none of your men are going to live. It's just going to be you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Poseidon's after you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because and she's like, you know what you did? You get going and basically says he has to go to Hades to find the way home. So then the men hop back in the ship. Back in the ship, they take off to Hades.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where the ice water meets Bier. Yeah. I love that Hades.
Speaker 1: No, you don't. There's lots of different like stories of like Greek mythology where people do go down into the underworld. There's like ways to get down there without dying, but you're gonna be careful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they don't really go down there. They just go to the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they go. This is different, a different interpretation where they meet Agamemnon, who they thought was at home in his castle, chilling because he went the correct way where he was actually killed by his wife Clytemestra. Yeah, played by Leipita Nyongo, who is so brilliant this movie, plays two different characters.
Speaker 2: I wish she had more airtime.
Speaker 1: I wish she did too.
Speaker 2: She plays Helen La Troy so brilliantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she plays sisters in this and they're both so powerful and she's get a lot of screen time, but she gets her point across cly Semesta is pretty upset with Agamemnon because he sacrificed their child to the gods to get some good wind.
Speaker 2: Can you blame her?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And she welcomes him home and that night in bed she kills him dead. Girl bust moves yeah, one hundred percent. And her sister's like.
Speaker 2: This is like hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So he meets the well, he meets a few people dead in hades, and honestly, there should be more because this man's got so many people killed.
Speaker 2: So many people, like all like all the soldiers are just there waiting for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and literally every soldier he's gotten killed, which is so many people. Haities just got all of a sudden go just an influx.
Speaker 2: And it's also like all the soldiers that he never buried, yeah, never put their body to rest.
Speaker 1: That's bad.
Speaker 2: So they're all just like kind of like, come on, man, we're waiting. We've been here for a really long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, solds are like in weird purgatory. Yeah. So he meets Agamemnon, who tells him to be careful when he returns.
Speaker 2: And also Agamemnon's wearing his whole like soldier getther. Yeah. I'm like, you didn't even die in it? You die?
Speaker 1: Maake it? Did you put that on the way to hates?
Speaker 2: And I was like, we know you like it? You say in it. He's like, if I'm gonna go, I'm going with my helmet. The people who are on an imax can't see.
Speaker 1: When you go to the underwater. He's like, let me change my outfit.
Speaker 2: Yea, I need a mug, these fools.
Speaker 1: Do you ever think about that? Like that's the whole thing if you die and you become a ghost, Like what you're in is what you wear forever. Yeah, do you ever think about that? There's two things I think about getting dressed. Is it okay to be my ghost outfit? Something to think about? Am I okay? This is my marine comfy outfit today because getting on a plane tonight, my ghost outfit's got to be comfy. That's crazy. So one you've got to think about is this my ghost outfit too? If I get pulled into another dimension and all world and I have to go on a quest, will this be comfortable? Because you know, like in things like like the Nannia books and stuff, you just get ripped out of your world into another world and you've got to go on a quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: You don't get time to change.
Speaker 2: That's so true. I would say no to the quest.
Speaker 1: Can you ever say no to a No?
Speaker 2: I would just sit down.
Speaker 1: That's how you die. But I'm already dead. No, no a quest and dying of two different things.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll die.
Speaker 1: You need to read more fantasy.
Speaker 2: I say, I say yes to death. Note of that.
Speaker 1: But you're in a good if you got pulled into another world right now? Yet to go on a question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sneak is. I'm not a quest girl. I don't like walking.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, quests famously have a water so much.
Speaker 2: Walking, so much terran It's like not even like a nice concrete road. It's always like rocky hills.
Speaker 1: It's always upper hill through that.
Speaker 2: I could never be those soldiers, even walking up to Circey's house will be like, no, you guys go, I can't do it. You guys take it. And that's how I stay alive.
Speaker 1: How funny for at the end they're like only Odysseus lily like and me, I'm still on the boat. I never leave that boat.
Speaker 2: You'll never find catch me leaving that boat and.
Speaker 1: Rare, like if I don't like to walk. So I didn't see one island and I lived here. I lived.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's be off with you. Yeah, I'd rock that world at Troy, I'm like, I'll stay in the horse.
Speaker 1: The boat, stay the horse, stay in the castle, nervally, no question. Well, you would be the most boring hero. Your story would be forgotten because the whole time it's like it's okay if I die a terrible death, because my name will be remembered. And like if we take these stories as facts, which they're not, but like the names of these men get remembered, no one's remembering your story. Emily got on the boat, she never got the boat.
Speaker 2: I'd be like one of those beggars who come to Ithaca and just like stays on the steps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where the dog is outside. That would be just stay there.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, that's where we.
Speaker 1: Have to end it.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know you want to hear more, but don't worry. We have our Part two coming. Don't forget. It's so good, it's so funny. We just wanted to do the whole movie, wanted to include everything, so we will have part two with you shortly. Thank you so much for listening. Do not forget. We'll be back in your feed early Monday morning. We will see you next week. Bye bye,