Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on. From Mamma Mia. Welcome to the spill your daily pop culture fixed. I'm Laura Brodnick and I'm m Vernon And today we have a very serious warning from Rebel Wilson. She posted overnight. They have been allegations, there have been comebacks. We're going to get into that. Plus we have some dire information about a movie that I was desperately looking forward to. Not sure how I'm going to make it through today, but first we'll get through it.
Speaker 2: But first, we finally have the official trailer to Ridley Scott's Gladiator Too, starring Paul mescal.
Speaker 1: I remember that day.
Speaker 2: I never forgot it that a slave could take revenge against an emperor.
Speaker 1: Where were you born? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I never knew a mother and law father.
Speaker 1: You will be my instrument.
Speaker 3: Who are you? Did you hear that crowd?
Speaker 1: The greatest temple room.
Speaker 2: Ever built, the Carlosseum, Because this is what they believe in power. I've convinced everyone here in spill Land to let me do a little recap of the trailer.
Speaker 1: Pea, I'm quite nervous about this.
Speaker 2: I think I've watched it around twenty three times really, and it only came out like what last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've watched it a lot.
Speaker 2: A little tip if you're going to watch the trailer, watch you with subtitles on, because surprisingly it's really hard to understand angry men yelling while they kill each other.
Speaker 1: Oh, I just assume that there's a plot that'll come to me later. I was just watching The Violins and I was loving it.
Speaker 2: So the start of the trailer, it flashes back to Gladiator one, so you're like, oh, yep, this is definitely a sequel. It shows Paul mescal as a young boy who saw quote a slave take revenge on an emperor, and then it jumps into the actual trailer of the movie. So Paul his character. Okay, firstly, I'm not sure what his name is because they don't say each other's names.
Speaker 1: We're just calling the gladiator a very strong gladiator name, Paul.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know much about his past. He doesn't know who his mom or father is, and I think that's going to be a common theme throughout the entire film. You don't see Pedro Pascal, so straight away moves were just calling him Pedro Theater. He's the leader of the Roman army.
Speaker 1: Oh sure.
Speaker 2: You first see him on this carriage like being led by horses, and he's like waving to the crowd, kind of like that scene in Hunger Games where she's wearing the dress and they're waving, and then there's a lot of fighting and killing scenes. That's a like ongoing motive throughout this entire trailer. There's a very sexy line from Denzel Washington where he tells Paul, you have something in you.
Speaker 1: Was he meant to be sexy? It was not meant to be sexy?
Speaker 2: A lot of subtext, I think whenever Denzel Washington says anything, it's sexy.
Speaker 1: Kind hell bit.
Speaker 2: Paul is then seen crying, and then he is angry, and then he's covered in blood. He is told that his rage is a gift, which makes me worry that they're promoting toxic masculinity.
Speaker 1: But it's fine because.
Speaker 2: Then there's a scene where he's running and he's running really weirdly, which is confusing because you would think he has experience in running, since he runs from all of his girlfriends Paul Mescilline real life, not Paul the Gladiator. I'm sorry, I'm jumping to real life. But in the trailer he's running kind of like a Fortnight character.
Speaker 1: His arms are very high, and they didn't teach her in glady at a training school.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they should have included that either, because immediately gave me the eck. There's a rhino, which is fine because back then they weren't in danger, so they're like, they are allowed to use of rhinos.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, hey, well, let it go for the point of the movie, but don't kill actual rhinos.
Speaker 2: Denzel comes back with more interesting questions. He asked Paul, whose head should I give you to satisfy this fury. Paul replies, the entire Roman Empire. Denzel giggled, but Paul was not joking. Denzil'sn't a different movie. He's in a bit of a rom com. He's in a classic Roman empire. I'm laughing quite a bit through this entire trailer. I think Denzel's character is the guy who kind of makes all the gladiators happen.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, because they're all slaves.
Speaker 2: And then they make them into gladiators, and then once they're gladiators, then they win, they become free men.
Speaker 1: I think that's hard. That's a job that doesn't exist anymore. That's sad. It is really sad.
Speaker 2: But then they both settle that as long as Paul ends up killing Pedro Pascal, that would be fine and enough. So the end scene is him about to get into the arena with Pedro Pascal.
Speaker 1: It ends there, and then Pedro and Paul duke it out. I don't want you to learn their names, by the way, when we watch the movie, I want you just to refer to them as their gladiat Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought there was a bit of a plothole in the trailer that no names. There was absolutely no name said. I did see though, that he gets Maximus's ring. Oh, Russell Crowe's ring, So.
Speaker 1: I think that's a nice quarterback the three line from the first movie, because I don't think Russell Crowe is going to be fighting anyone in this movie alone for the first one fast, I think he's past a fighting ghost isn't going to appear.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's Gladiator too. I feel like you don't need to watch it that I think I've given you the gist.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're giving up your ticket to the premiere.
Speaker 2: Don't even say that as if you'd actually say that out loud. I cannot wait for the premier. Not sure if I'll get a ticket, but if I do, it will literally be the best thing that's ever happened to me in my tie life. So Gladiator Too will be out on November fourteen. You might remember it's also the same date as Wicked. Yeah, so we're going to be watching both one hundred percent both. They're both for women. I'm so sick of just any like for the girls. Yeah, exactly for people being like, oh, women go to Wicked, women go to and boys will go to gladiat I know we're going to both going to both see there. In a feature interview with The New Yorker, Lena Dunham announced that she is wait for it, no longer working on the upcoming Pollpocket.
Speaker 1: It's like a knife through my heart.
Speaker 2: Oh. She said that she had been brought on as a writer and director of the film and she spent three years working on it, but this was the announcement in which you'd said I'm no longer doing it. In the interview, she said I'm going to tell you something here that I haven't told anyone. I'm not going to make the Pollypocket movie. I think Greta Goerwick managed this incredible feat with Barbie, which was to make this thing that was literally candy to so many different kinds of people. Unless I can do it that way, I'm not going to do it. I don't think I have it in me. I feel like the next movie I make needs to feel like a movie that I absolutely have to make. No one but me could make it, and I think other people could make Pollypocket. That hurts when I read that, because I think I'm not done with the whole Barbie Like I kind of miss everything that happened with Barbie, like how every woman got dressed up to go watch it. It became this big thing. I was going to parties that were all Barbie themed, like it was just beautiful seeing all the actresses together, like, get around it. Ryan Goslin got around it. And I kind of missed that girlhood moment in cinema, and that's what I was waiting for for Polly Pocketing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I definitely thought Polypocket was going to be in that same realm as Barbie and the difference to a lot of those movies that were all of a sudden put into production, like the Uno movie or the Betsy Wetsy movie. God give Me strength, all these movies that will put into production as a result of Barbie, with like a lot of studios just trying to cash in on like, oh, people want to see movies about toys. Polly Pocket movie wasn't that. It's been in development for a really long time. Barbie was in development first before the casting of Barbie, before Greta came on or anything like that. It's been in production for such long time. And people were so excited when Lena Dunham came on to write and direct, because she's an amazing scriptwriter and she has a really unique voice and point of view, and everyone was like, this is so exciting to have like a quintessential elder millennial. I say that as an elder millennial myself, come on and take a toy that was so important to us growing up and give it this whole new life and make it really smart and funny and also visually stunning, which I think. Just imagine a live action Polypocket with practical effects of her like living and she goes into little different Polypocket worlds the dream and now I feel like the movie will still get made, but it'll probably now just go back into development hell where they try and find another writer, producer, like it takes so long to make a movie. And what's time sensitive about this is that Lily Collins, Emily in Paris herself, was attached to play Polypocket and she great, She would do great. She looks like Pollpocket, she's vibe of Pollypocket, and she can do that ditzy, lovable thing really well. But the thing is that she's already in her kind of like early to mid thirties, which is a perfectly fine time to play Pollypocket. But she needs to play it now. But if we push this movie out another ten years, then I just worry that Lily Collins is gonna get pushed aside. No, And so I just I'm just worried for the fate of movies. I'm worried for us and like you said, like another girlhood movie experience pushed aside.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting because we were talking about this in our meeting, and we don't have an example of any male director who'd ever do the same thing like I can't even imagine a male director going, oh, but Steven Spielsberg did it so well, and I don't think I could do it as well as that, So I'm just not gonna do.
Speaker 1: It, I know. I think it's because there's this backstory attached to any woman who comes in and like writes a big movie or directs it, and it's this idea of like, well, if she doesn't do it well or there's something and that is attached to this idea that maybe women can't direct movies because you've got to think that the people who are behind this is a very old school, mostly older white men, And that was the whole thing about even like don't worry Darling with Olivia whe why so many people will like stop these headlines because they were so worried that it would tarnish all female directors, even though men are way more emotional most of the time the stories that come out. But I think it's something that we hear women say in public, but men not as much. And like a prime example I think is like Jennifer Lawrence was all set to star as Elizabeth Holmes, know, the woman who did the fraud theerrnose defraud to people all the money and stuff. And then when she got asked about playing that role that was such a big hype up around it, she said that she had watched Amanda Seafreed in the Dropout series that she won awards for, and she's like, I watched that and was like, no, she did it, like she did everything. She was amazing. There's I can't compare to that. So I think that that's the thing of women are like, oh, only one person gets a shot.
Speaker 2: Which sucks because I'd love some competition with female directors. But it's also so telling that women, especially women directors, see someone like Greta and it's like that is a standard for women directors. But with male directors it's like they see like a Steven Spielberg and they're like, that's the standard for all directs. Yeah, Like it's so frustrating that Greta can't be seen as a standard for all directors. It's only women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. There's so many incredible scriptwriters and directors out there that are women. I hope one of them comes in and it has to be a woman, oh one hundred percent. I mean never say never. They can get a man to write Pollypocket, but I'm hoping another amazing female director is going to come in and like make this a big blockbuster.
Speaker 2: Bit wow, let's go.
Speaker 1: So last night about twelve thirty am Australian time, which is the time I saw this video go up that time, Oh, because I was prepping for the spill on something that we'll talk about. On Friday, Rebel Wilson posted a very serious video to her Instagram page where she gave a bit of an update on the fate of her new Australian movie. And to explain this, I'm just going to use the headline that Deadline ran with because they kind of really summed it up by saying, Rebel Wilson Warops backs of her directing debut, the deb from nixing Pick from Toronto. So basically, I just thought Warps was a good who was a great one. It's actually what she did and episode. So basically, she put out a video explaining that this movie that she's been directing called The Dead, which is kind of an astray musical, amazing cast, a lot of people are very excited to see. It had been selected as the closing night film at the Toronto Film Festival. That's a bit. It's huge if you're making a movie, especially like maybe a kind of small indie movie like this, Having that kind of exposure is huge for the movie, it's huge for the cast. Well, it is a make or break situation people seeing this movie. And then she put out a video saying that the movie has now been blocked from appearing at the Film Festival. But it's nothing to do with the people in the film Festival. It's her business partners. It's the other producers on the film that she says are trying to sabotage her.
Speaker 3: Why are they saying this, Why are they stopping it from premarying at Toronto? Well, this dates back to October of last year, where I discovered bad behavior by these business partners. And let me just you know, I just tell it how it is. So I'm just going to tell you who they are. They are so called producers of the film. I use that phrase very lightly. Their names are Amanda Ghost and Gregor Cameron, and an executive producer who works with them called Vince Holden. So these are the people involved. And so I said, reported, I guess you would say they're bad behavior. When I found out not minor things, big things, inappropriate behavior towards the lead actress of the film, embezzling funds from the film's budget, which we really needed because we were a small movie, so kind of really important things. Since I reported that behavior, I have been met with absolute viciousness and retaliatory behavior. So I'm there on set, I'm trying to film my movie with my gorgeous Australian cast and crew who are so amazing, shout out to all of you guys. And yet every step of the way, these people who I complained about then tried to make my life hell. In the meantime, though I still finished the movie. I made this great movie, the deb and then now you know, almost at the finish line, they're saying, you know, it can't come out. They might not release it, they might bury it. This is work of hundreds of people who have put their heart and soul into this, and this behavior is absolutely vile and disgusting.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is insane. I can't believe she did that. Like, I mean, good on her for doing that, but I'm a bit confused. So before she did the video her she was saying these producers that she reported for bad behavior wanted to stop the movie from premiering at the Toronto Festival. What would that have achieved.
Speaker 1: It's hard to sort of say what's something behind the scenes. Whether it was something to do with distribution, legal things, licensing, I'm not quite sure because up until now, apart from the fact of people knowing this movie was getting made and knowing that it's got this greater straining cast and that Rebel was directing, it's not one of those movies where we were like following every update and waiting for trailers and stuff. So this is really the first time a lot of people are hearing about that movie. And I should say the three people that she's named have come back through a sportsperson with their own take on the story. So they've said Rebel Wilson's allegations are false, defamatory, and disappointing. So that's from Amanda Ghost and Gogory Cameron and executive producer of the film Vince Holden or executive producers.
Speaker 2: Executive Oh my gosh, I.
Speaker 1: Don't say that lightly. I'm like, oh, yeah, yeah, she's she's angry, they say her self. Promotional claims are clearly intended to cause reputational harm to individuals who have supported her directional debut film, The deb a joyous movie that we're very proud of and are looking forward to sharing with audiences. For her to promote a false narrative to advance her own agenda undermines the film and all the people who worked on this project, but.
Speaker 2: They didn't admit to wanting to pause it for the film.
Speaker 1: That's very true.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is going to get so messy. And I also think, just watching that video now, like I didn't hear anything about this film. I had no idea she was directing. I had no idea it was an Australian film or a musical. I didn't even know what was happening. And now all I can think about is I cannot wait to watch this for a minute it comes.
Speaker 1: That's what all the comments under the Instagram post like, well, I saw her post it last night, and then all of a sudden, all these comments started flooding in, with people saying like thanking her for speaking up and saying that she was doing good things, and so many people being like I can't wait to see this movie now. So obviously we don't know what's happened behind the scenes. But I think what's interesting here is that as much as we see people on Rebel's own page, like her followers, being really supportive and sending messages to out I'm going to go see this film, there's another big chorus of voices out there today because of this story's being picked up worldwide. Every outlet's covering it. They're all posting about it of people saying like, Oh, she's so difficult, she has a problem with everyone she works with, she hates everyone. She's all about public shaming, I mean, without being able to get too the nuance of what happened in this film because we weren't there. I do think that's quite true, because they're obviously linking it to her memoir, Rebel Rising, Coming Out and allegations that were in that book, but particularly that whole Sasha Baron Cohen's story that blew up so much, and her making allegations about him being inappropriate on set and then him coming back with legal threats against her, which ended up with the books and Australa. Now if you open to the pages about him, it's just black lines reducted. Even though we all read the chapter in a different place, But I feel like that shouldn't have any bearing on what's happened here, if anything. Like she I think she acknowledges it in the back of that video too, because she's like, you know me, I will call this out. I won't stand for it. And I was like, well, yeah, she said after the Sasha Baron Cohen allegations, She's like, I will never put myself in that situation again. I'll always call it out, you know, I'll always call it as it's happening.
Speaker 2: And she would always say like I never want to work with ourselves again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So she kind of made a public promise to always call out a bad behavior in the moment from her point of view, and that's exactly what she's done here. So I was like, it shouldn't be a surprise. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think what's also really interesting is that we all know that she also was a lawyer, so she knows so much so everything she say, she knows how careful to be. But this sounds like she's not been careful, which makes me think that I feel like if more celebrities also had law experience, we would get so many more of them, Like.
Speaker 1: Every celebrity has a law degree, they'd be out there putting up video. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I think it should be like, if you're going to be celebrity, you need a law degree because I want to see more of this.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, but I think what's much more dangerous for her to say, and she must have some sort of proof to able to put this out there into the world, is not the blocking from the film festival, because that's obviously a bad thing, but there's nothing illegal about that, Like that could just be a creative differences behind the scenes. Calling out people from embezzling from your movie and making that level of allegation is a huge deal. And unless she has to be confident, well, she must have something to back it up, because to say that publicly what they're saying, their statement is true, like if you can't prove that, it's defamation and that could be a huge amount of money. And also you know, legal repercussions behind the scenes. So she must feel pretty confident that she can, you know, take this conversation further.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, So do we think it's gonna be a big court case?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's hard to sort of say what's going to happen without knowing what's happened behind the scenes, But I'd say that's probably going to be the messier side of it. But the thing now is it's kind of has set up the deb to have this story behind it. So the hard thing now is that when she does press for it, when she talks about it every premiere, it's going to have this story attached to it. But then people love to get behind an underdog film, especially in Australian film, so she's really rally the troops in that case, I mean, great promo, well exactly. So I guess we'll just have to see if the deb premiere is at the Toronto Film Festival or not. Will be there, if it will, tickets pleased, We'll be at the Toronto Film Festival front Road for the deb.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. If you're wondering why Laura Bronik was up at twelve at am watching that Rebel Wilson video, it was for work because tomorrow we are doing a brutally honest review on the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. So I know it's a short time, but we're giving you a few hours to get around it. We are not holding back for this one that will be in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye Hella, Lolla, lollad