Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting out Loud, the podcast for parents who don't always listen to parenting podcasts. We like to bring you the news, the trends, and the culture and what parents are thinking about. I'm Monice Boy, I'm Amelia Lesto.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stacy Hicks.
Speaker 3: And coming up on today's show, another celebrity child has changed their name to distance themselves from their celebrity dad. And it's a pattern that's feeling a little too familiar.
Speaker 1: And look, we are a show. We're pro dad on this show. We love talking about good dads. Today is not that day. Today it's dickhead dads. That's right.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 4: And look in this is not normal news. I bring to you a chilling warning from the government to schools. It's a real watershed moment, I think for kids online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can't wait for that. Okay, news aside, I'm going to solve the what's for dinner tonight question with a two minute dinner hack buck. Yeah, girls, get excited. It's we can in a bag.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: But first, in case you missed it, a couple of little tidbits from the news cycle that you might have scrolled past this week. And it's our job to bring them to you. And first I present to you Megan Markle on Master Chef Our Duchess. She was on our screens this week. If you're still watching broadcast TV, I don't know many people who are, but look anyway. Then naturally the conversation on master Chef turned to how she's raising Archie and Lillabet, and she said, thankfully, they're very good eaters, and she mentioned a dessert policy in their house. Take a listen to this.
Speaker 5: The kids jump in a lot, especially with the Gordon. I think it's really it's such a nice luxury to be able to have so much space and things to cook. And if they say, Momma, can I have dessert? You say, if you can pick it, you can have it.
Speaker 2: He got pick chocolate.
Speaker 1: Now you can't pick that.
Speaker 2: You pick a nice pas phod or what not?
Speaker 6: Up.
Speaker 5: But now we always have a nace as my husband say, pud after dinner.
Speaker 1: Okay, what it's very sweet, it's very on BRANDI magna mons.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can't pick a magnum.
Speaker 1: Do you have a rule in your house, Amelia.
Speaker 4: Rule magnums on days that have been tough, maybe a mini one, but a magnam and mine is not.
Speaker 3: If you can pick it, you can eat it. Mine's just if you can reach it, you can eat it. Please, don't make me get up. You can grab it, you can have it.
Speaker 4: Aren't you from an unusually tall family?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just makes everything fair game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't hide anything at the top of the shell. She's five and she's already reaching up there.
Speaker 1: But look, that's Megan over and done with. Because I actually think Amelia, you have found the parenting story of the week.
Speaker 4: Look step aside, Eastern rosella boy, we love your song. But there's a new musical prodigy in town and his name is Charlie Wu. He is thirteen years old. He is from the Melbourne suburb of Wheeler's Hill, and he has done It's all very proud because over his winter holidays, Charlie traveled to Russia with his mum, Ashley, to compete in the Grand Performance Piano competition, and Charlie performed what has been described as the hardest piano piece in the world. It's Rakmaninov's Concerto Number three. For people who remember the movie Shine with Jeffrey Rush back in the nineties, that was the piece that drove him crazy. It was so hard. Anyway, thirteen year old Charlie played it and he came in equal first in the global competition in Russia.
Speaker 1: In Russia, Russia. Can you imagine that? Oh, God, so intimidating.
Speaker 4: This is so good on so many levels, because number one, this kid has composure that any adult would wish for. Just take a listen to him talking about making mistakes when he's playing sometimes.
Speaker 6: Oh, I often make mistakes when I play piano, especially when I'm playing pieces that are more new. I try my best to ignore them, and I always try to focus on the line, the overarching story and narrative of the pieces I've been playing, and I try to express that instead of actually focusing on the accuracy of mind.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: I think the reason I really love this story, in addition to how impressive Charlie is, is that it highlights one of the best things about parenting is when your kids get really into something that you know nothing about, and you just watch them go, You watch them shine, and you're shrugging your shoulders and going, where did that come from? Because Charlie's mum, Ashley Wu is talking in this next clip about how that's how she.
Speaker 2: Feels about Charlie's success.
Speaker 4: And by the way, the sound that you hear in the background in this interview is the six year old Charlie playing Mary had a little lamb.
Speaker 7: And Benie, I did the hymn Sun and just pray for fun. His first piano teacher told me he might have perfect pitch because I don't know about music, and I don't really understand what does that mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, but I love that you.
Speaker 7: Can whenever music he listened, he can pray it all. And then I think he may have some parents.
Speaker 4: We think he might have some talent. Ashley, the world agrees with you.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I think everyone secretly wants their kids to be at Charlie where they are a prodigy without you having to push it. They just get obsessed with something and roll with it. It's kind of like a little bit of clout, but you have literally nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: This was such a beautiful story. Thank you for bringing this Last of Heaven to the podcast. The other piece I loved about it was he takes his skills to aged care homes in warthor and plays for their elderly residents. I know, can Charlie wou get any better.
Speaker 2: Well done, Charlie.
Speaker 4: He won a baby Gram piano at the competition, but the organizers said, look, we can't shit that to Australia and you know what, fair enough, Russian organizers. So instead he was given a cash prize of thirty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh great, well that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Well, this week I want to talk about two Hollywood megastar dads that were in the headlines for the exact same reason, but nothing to do with the reasons they would like to be in the headlines. The first was Brad Pitt, whose daughter, Vivian Jolly Pitt is now eighteen, which I just can't believe that she's eighteen. She legally filed to remove Pitt from her surname in Los Angeles, and this follows the pattern of her older siblings. So Shiloh, Zahara, and Maddix have all already done the same in the last two years, filed to remove Pitt from their names. And this is just an interesting tidbit that I didn't know on the pit kids. So under Californian law, you have to publish your intent publicly to change your name before you do so, so it's a really big statement. You can't just kind of go down to the local office or post office and change your name. So they are both Sahara and Maddix published their intent in the Los Angeles Daily Journal before their court hearings. They had to publicly say this will no longer be my name. My name will be this, and that just feels like such a huge statement to have to make before you're estranging from someone. Then, on the other side of the country, Tom Cruise's daughter, Suri Cruse, did the exact same thing. So records have confirmed that she registered to vote in Pennsylvania using the name Suri Noel, which is her mum, Katie Holmes's middle name, So she's using that as her last name. And that's confirming something that people have thought for a long time because Suri and Tom haven't been seen together in over a decade, basically since Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes got divorced. I just want to take you back because there might be people listening that don't remember this. It's kind of faded from their memory. There might be people that don't know this, that are lucky enough to be young enough to not know any of this. But there was a time where Suri Cruse was literally the most famous baby in.
Speaker 1: The world, like and she was everywhere and gorgeous and oh god, yes, squish a little face. She did a cover of magazines.
Speaker 3: Yes, this baby was debuted on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine. It was shot by Annie Leebel. It's and it was a twenty two page spread of the family. Like, yeah, that was that was big time even in those times.
Speaker 1: Story it was the girl from Dawson's Creek, the girl next door, Mary's the biggest Hollywood star mission, impossible, Maverick like it. It was just perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this very much became Tom Cruise's personality for a long time. Was the wife guy, and that he was the devoted dad to Suri already had older childrown because he was so successfully pivoted into my private life is mysterious and I just love making movies.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, he was. He was the og wife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was jumping on couches on Oprah and telling them how much he loved you know, Katie, And that was very much part of his personality. And then as I was saying, like they have not been seen together in years and years, but I think it's so interesting. Brad Pitt with this story as well, has been in the headlines for years around being estranged from his children. But for both men, I think they very successfully managed to make people forget that this is the relationship that they have with their children. In fact, both men have arguably have bigger careers now than they ever have. Like Brad Pitt was in F one, Tom Cruise was doing Top Gun, Maverick and Mission Impossible reboot. And yet the mothers of those children are the ones that have faced constant rhetoric about well, what did you do? You must have done something to turn those children against their fathers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I was having a look into this story because it's something that's like in my DNA, these stories from growing up, in you know, magazine, Times, but even in People, there was a quote from a source close to Brad, which means it was a very reputable quote at the time, saying that it was incredib sad that the kids had distanced themselves from Pitt, but not surprising after years of one parent weaponizing children against the other with no regard for the consequences. Referring to Angelina Shirley. So, I think it's just interesting that we're seeing this play out again with another high profile child where they're estranging from their parents, and yet it's still the women in those relationships that are copying the flak for that happening.
Speaker 4: I think that's so true, and I want to hear from Mond's about how the men have pulled off this magic trick. But I just want to add a little wrinkle in this theory, which is that if we go further back in time, Tom Cruiser's wife, Nicole Kidman is strange from reportedly estranged from the children from that.
Speaker 2: Marriage who seem to be.
Speaker 4: Involved in Scientology in a way that Nicole Kidman is not.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was definitely the undertones of Tom cruisers split from k Holmes as well. She's never public spoken about that, but that the messaging then was that part of the divorce was protecting Surrey from the Church of Scientology, and there was real.
Speaker 4: Cloak and dagga stuff that Katie had to execute in order to get out of that marriage. If you remember that, I'm sure you do, actually, since it's in your DNA. But there was a secret passage from their apartment in the New York neighborhood of Chelsea through the Whole Food's grocery store that was in the basement of their building that she used to escape without the paparazzi learning about it.
Speaker 2: I did not know that bit.
Speaker 3: You've given me a new tidbit for this story.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm a bit lost. So I guess what we're trying to answer today or unpick, because we don't answer anything, we just analyze and think about things. Is like, there's this new brand of Hollywood dad that's rising up. It's the Chris Hemsworth, it's the Dwayne Rock Johnson's, it's the devoted, doting dad, and they use that to like elevate their brand. And then on the other side, there is this dad from maybe a generation ago, arguably who have the same level of star power, but there's an undercurrent of they're a bit of a deadbeat and yet it doesn't affect their career. They still kind of get away with it. Is that what we're trying to unpick?
Speaker 4: But I mean, these two men are I think the biggest jen X movie stars right Like I don't. I can't think of anyone else that would beat either of them.
Speaker 2: No, And.
Speaker 4: One question I have is is this just seeing a trajectory of a relationship and a family over a long period of time, or maybe it's just something inherent to that particular generation of deadbeat dads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it's all speculation, right, But I think there's a couple of things. And I do want to talk about family estrangement because I think that's really interesting in and of itself. But first I kind of want to talk about the blood Pit playbook of PR crisis management, which we have touched on before. But in case you missed that episode, when those allegations were bubbling around him about six years ago, allegations of him choking one of their children on a plane, it went, it was dismissed from court there, he was never charged for anything. But when that was all swirling around, he came out in GQ and did the World's Hottest photoshoot, and then he did this confessional interview where he talked about quitting weed, getting sober, and it was kind of a redemption arc for him of I'm cleaning up my act.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Nowhere in that huge feature does he name a single one of his children or comment on being a dad. And when he's pushed about Angelina, he uses very minimizing language and very generic, sort of unemotional language. He says he feels contained and secure in his new chap. This is a technique called bridging as well. You see politicians do it quite a lot. It's where if someone pushes you on a point, you kind of direct the conversation back to the key messages that you want to talk about. And you'll often see it with politicians where they will not answer the question, they will just kind of stay on the same track that they were on. And Brad Pitt, if you analyze his interviews, there's a lot of bridging that's going on. Well, that was twenty seventeen, he did that six years ago. He did an interview with Dak Shepherd in twenty twenty five. Now Dax's is known. This is a two and a half hour chat with a host who is known for pulling out a lot of good, kind of raw material out of guests. Brad Pitt talks about again AA, he talks about his sobriety, He talks about his relationship with his own father. But in that two and a half hours, the conversation does not go anywhere near fatherhood. And I think that's really deliberate. They had to have been a precondition for the interview.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because how do you do how do you conduct a personal interview with someone for two and a half hours talking about their relationship with their own father and their kids just simply don't come up in conversation. This was a directive from the pit camp.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And similarly, the Tom Cruise playbook is quite quite the same. Slightly different though. So he did as you said before, Stacy. When he first was with Katie Holmes, it was this fairytale romance. And he did this one interview with Oprah in two thousand and six where he jumped on the couch and the internet never forgot. He became widely mocked. He was the Internet's biggest meme. He was just his popularity took a massive nose dive, and that means real dollars in Hollywood, right, If you're not a popular actor, you can't sell movies. And so his comeback was talking about your personal life. That was the last interview he did that Oprah one and where he talked anything about his personal life. From then, it's just talk less, work more, do your own stunts, let your movies do the talking. There is no dad talk, there is no fatherhood talk, there is no love talk. And I think it's really deliberate to sort of distance themselves and it worked. It worked for a period of time, right, because no one else in the story could talk. But what we've seen, Stacy, as you've brought this today, Suri Cruz has turned eighteen. She now can legally change her name. These kids are now adults, with their own lawyers, their own social media followings, and their new names.
Speaker 3: It's interesting and their message is loud and clear that they want nothing to do with that person. And I think it's good that you acknowledge two monds like. Estrangement is complicated and messy, and as we've said, neither of these men have really publicly spoken about the situation. They've gone to great lengths to try and make us forget about that. But I think, as you said, we're seeing estrangement on the rise so much and so many people speaking more openly about that now. And it's rare that it ever comes down to one incident. It's usually a sequence of incidents, right that lead to the severing of ties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an Australian researcher, Kylie Aglius, and her entire job is looking at how and why estrangement happens, and she says there's usually three reasons. It's abuse, it's poor parenting and values differences, or a sort of an ongoing disconnection from the parent rather than one single incident that causes an estrangement, and most, she says, have cycled through periods of cutting off and reconnecting. So, in other words, going no contact usually isn't that sort of snap decision, and it's very rarely mutual or symmetrical. So very few people actually want to be estranged from their families, which is why part of the our kids these days just cut people off. Kind of rhetoric that we hear sometimes sort of under sells what's really going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we see that with David Beckham and Brooklyn Beckham, like the Victorian, David have made that pretty clear that they don't want to be estranged, that it's a one way street, and that's kind of their play.
Speaker 4: I think everything you've said here Mon's about the double standards applied to the Hollywood dads is absolutely correct. But at the same time, I do think that the way we're talking about estrangement in our culture, it is getting more sophisticated. And exhibit A on this is McCauley Culkin. Because in the nineteen nineties, I'm sure you remember the headlines. Every newspaper ran a story saying that McCauley Culkin had divorced his parents. Do you remember this right? It was a huge talking point throughout that decade. And it turns out that the headline that we all remember from this is just wildly inaccurate.
Speaker 2: So basically, yeah, it's not right.
Speaker 4: Our understanding of this, our collective understanding of this story is wrong. So basically what happened was stories circulated that at fifteen, Coulkin sued his parents for millions and he divorced them as legal guardians to stop them from controlling his finances.
Speaker 2: But what actually happened, and McCauley has talked about this.
Speaker 4: He's now forty five, if you can believe it, he's talked about this quite a bit in recent years. He took his parents' names off his trust fund and he found someone to manage it who was not related to him, which you might say is a fairly savvy business move. Yeah, he hasn't spoken to his father kit in thirty years though, and he's described him as a monster.
Speaker 2: He said that he was abusive.
Speaker 4: McCauley has two kids himself now with Brenda Song, and he's spoken about how he doesn't want to be like his father. His father was a frustrated actor, and McCauley has kind of intimated that he took out his frustrations on McCauley. But meanwhile, when McCauley sued his parents, they were locked in this costly breakup battle in the courts. Their relationship was breaking down, and his mum, Patricia Bentrap one custody of the Coulkin kids and McCaulay and incidentally his brother Kieran, who you know from films and TV. They are still close with Patricia, and Kieran thanked her when he won an oscar last year. So in a way, this is another deadbeat Hollywood dad's story. But in the nineteen nineties both his parents were just painted with this very broad brush of irresponsible, exploitative and were not given that new once. I guess we just have to understand that these kids, as we might want to refer to them as these are adults. Now they're making adult decisions that are not based on their mothers manipulating them. That are not based, as you pointed out, monds on single incidents. They're based on a lifetime of experience. And we wish them all the best because it's not going to be easy. Yeah. This week Australia's E Safety Commissioner has released what can only be described as a chilling warning for Australian schools. I think this is absolutely a water shared moment for parenting.
Speaker 2: The warning to.
Speaker 4: Schools is that there is simply no safe way to share images of children online. And this is because pictures of students in school uniform are especially at risk of AI manipulation and of being turned into deep fakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not just kids, teachers, tea teachers in school and in school photos are being turned into deep fakes. Yeh.
Speaker 4: Australian schools and education facilities are already acting on this. So one of Australia's largest childcare providers, it's called good Start Early Learning. It has six hundred and sixty centers across Australia. It's announced the end of class photos and it's cited child safety reasons. And the problem is, and I hadn't even really thought about this, but once the photos are taken, they then are the property or they handed over to the commercial providers of those photos, and it's incumbent on those individual commercial providers to store and process the images safely.
Speaker 2: So that's the issue.
Speaker 4: The fact is that images of children, especially high quality resolution images of children, now have an additional currency and valance they didn't used to have. Is the quote from Australian crime professor Michael Salter in the Nine Newspapers, which I cannot get out of my head. I want to get to some of the practical implications of this, because there are many, but I just I guess I wanted to just ask you first one, how did this story make you feel disturbed?
Speaker 1: Amelia? This is the turning point. This is the canary in the coal mine. This is people who see shit saying we have seen some shit and we know some shit, and we are telling you now stop doing this now. They can't say those exact words, right, That's what they probably love to say, but instead they say things like it is so important to carefully assess the risks when posting imagery online, imagery that may later be digitally altered without consent, and in the case of good start they say, until we can be certain that every photography session is conducted by a photographer who has strict controls on the storage and security of photographs of children, we won't be allowing commercial photography in our centers. And in the case of the police and the AFP, they say, we have witnessed an increase in AI generated child abuse material in the past year, and that includes multiple ars across multiple operations. Mind you, now, we are not here to wave a big red flag and sound an alarm and say holy shit, stop, stop stop. We don't want to panic anyone, do we. We just want to say, hey, the people at the top are seeing things and they are started to advise schools and places to really take a good hard look at the risk of this. And because I mean, aside from the legal side of it, schools and childcare centers, these places are highly regulated, but they also have a duty of care. They have a duty care of the people that work there, for psychosocial safety for the teachers that work there, and there are cases of teachers faces being turned into pornographic deep fakes and then being widely distributed. Can you imagine what that's like to go into a workplace that's it's just unimaginable. And then childcare centers also have a duty of care to the children that attend, and so I think institutions do not usually remove something as culturally embedded as photos just on a whim. They are saying, this is a risk that we can't take anymore, and I think we need to pay attention to that.
Speaker 4: And you're right, Ones, I'm glad that you mentioned that. I'd I don't bring this up to scare people, although it is scary. The reason I felt strongly about this as a watershed moment is because this show is about making parents feel seen and heard through what is, by any objective measure, an extremely complicated time to be a parent. This particular issue AI deep fakes of your children in school uniforms. I'm sorry, Why do we have to deal with this?
Speaker 2: It just makes me.
Speaker 4: It validates this feeling of this is a really hard time to parent in because that's an usherly unique and utterly depraved thing that I have to be thinking about that no parent in human history until this generation has had to think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is very much uncharted waters and I think that's why we wanted to bring it up. On the show, right, because it's something that no one before us has had to deal with, and it's been bubbling away. Like I think we've seen like the big great influencer removal of family content on TikTok a couple of years ago, where all those really big creators started like slowly removing their children from their videos because of the amount of saves that they were getting that they couldn't kind of regulate and know where those videos were going. But now we are in this time where it's impossible, like we're having to think about these things that we never thought we would have to think about, and it's so great that it is being put out there for us to know about before it gets any further down the line.
Speaker 2: So there's a couple of knock on effects that I want to run.
Speaker 4: Past the two of you, because, look, first of all possible and to traditional class photos, there's a certain sense of understandabrief around that because those photos are iconic. I mean, look, we can all take a picture of our kids ourselves, but there was something about that yearly visual progress that was really nice. And I think it's sad that that looks like it's going away. Childcare centers are instituting various reforms banning staff from carrying four or smart watches or tablets. And I think back to how important it was when my kids were in childcare. I was at work and I could watch little updates from them and their days and those photos. I don't think parents now are necessarily going to get.
Speaker 2: Those same updates. Yeah, and that's sad too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's probably an extreme way that it could go. But I think what the advice is right now is actually hopeful if I may bring some hope to this. So number one, it's we're not going to take this risk on. So these companies that do store images of children online need to really lock down the way that they're storing photos, which is great, right, that's probably really great thing to be doing and to be wisened up to. The second piece of advice in this article was from New South Wales Independent Schools and their advice is, hey, you can still take photos, but just make them from behind, don't make them the children's faces. Like, there's all these schools now that feel the need to have this social media footprint right obviously for marketing reasons and for community building reasons. And they're saying, sure, that's fine, you still do that. But the advice is, yeah, take the photos from a distance, take them from behind the children so you can't identify them, and those sort of just tiny little changes is kind of what they're encouraging schools to do. But I also had a look. I went on the e Safety Commissioner's website, which has got tons of resources for schools. It has all these info packs on how to talk to parents about it, what policies you should think about, and I actually felt exhausted. And we talked about this last week Stacy, where it was schools are now being asked to do more and more and more with not much more resource, and it just fully was in the back of my head of if I was a school principal with all the things I have to deal with and now this, I feel exhausted. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's interesting you say that about the extra work because the Sitting Morning Herald did an article last week which was brilliant on this exact topic of the fact that teachers are now being tasked with being influencers essentially for the schools that they work at. The school Instagram account is such a big piece of information that parents in the community use to know what's going on with their school community. But people who are curious about that school community are using too as a litmus test of whether that would be a place that they would want to join and send their children. And now teachers are arguably more visible than ever on social media because they're creating these videos that are getting hundreds of thousands of views, these viral moments. They're kind of jumping on these viral trends and it's all lovely and very wholesome. There's nothing sinister about what they're doing, but it's what can be done with that material. Like I looked at the New South Wales Department of Education's Instagram. It's got over fifty thousand followers on it and most of the videos are from different schools, something involving students and the teachers. So gorgeous videos like one of a teacher guessing which child in their class is standing behind them based on them saying good morning mister blah blah, Like it's so beautiful, classic Australian shows that they're really connected with their kids in their class. But now, as you're saying, the advice is do not have the children in it. It needs to be done in a way where they're not But then the teachers aren't protected. The teachers are the ones that are making this content. And this article in the SMH by Emily Cowell is brilliant. She was talking about how some principals are sitting up at eleven pm at night on canvas making these you know, they're really trying to do the right thing for their school and show their school. And I was thinking about how now in twenty twenty six, you know, before I go to a restaurant, I'm looking up the social media account of that restaurant. Before I would choose to, you know, go to a cafe, I'm looking that up. Before i'd stay at a hotel, I'm looking that up. I'm looking up a person if I'm planning to hire them on their social media. And so that's what people doing with these social media accounts. That's what schools are trying to give to those people. And yet now we're being told no, that puts everyone right in the line of four.
Speaker 4: Celebrate the work that they do every day and the relationships that they're building in school.
Speaker 1: Yes, do that in a school newsletter. Do it in a newsletter that goes out to the community. Like, I don't know. I feel like I know this is going to make me sound really hippie. But if my school said, hey, we're bounding iPads and screens in the classroom, I reckon I'd be bloody happy with that. I wonder if the worm's going to turn to the point where we're going to see schools going drastically in the other direction and saying, you know what, we're going analog. We're not going to give you updates all the time. We're putting one newsletter in the school bag every five weeks or whatever it is. Like, I don't know, is that what we're Is that the next promet?
Speaker 2: You think? Yeah, I do think that's it.
Speaker 4: Mons and schools across Australia are d screening. But I guess look, if you take anything away from the segments that knowledge is power.
Speaker 2: Australia is, as.
Speaker 4: Usual, at the forefront of understanding technological change and its impacts. We were the first to lead the world in the under sixteen social media ban. I think now the e Safety Commissioner is breaking new ground in this area of images of children online. So I'm just glad that we're getting the rewards from that research and knowledge.
Speaker 1: All Right, it has been a hefty show. Let's lighten things up maybe if we can. It's time for recommendations. This is the stuff we bring you that we have read, watched, eaten, listened to, obsessed with. And may I begin, Please go first, I want this recipe. Okay, yeah, So a little bit of background. I hate cooking. I hate it, which is shocking because I was on the Great Australian Bake Off. But I think baking is very different to cooking.
Speaker 2: Yes, don't ask.
Speaker 1: It is what I am bringing you is ForWords that are going to change your life. Chicken in a bag. This is you. This is a viral dinner hack that I cannot believe more people don't know about. This is how it goes via TikTok. You grab you got it. You get your warm rotisserie chicken, your bachelor's shambag as bachelor's hambag. Take the chicken out of the bag, leave the juices in the bag. This is crucial. You take the chicken out, you chop it up, and then you put all the meat back in the juicy bag. Okay, Then you take a pouch of microwave rice, you know the ones that you pure the top and you put it in the microwave for two minutes. Cook it in the microwave, then dump it into your chicken bag. Then go to your fridge and pull out all the kind of leftovers you have that you can put whatever sort of herbs you have in the fridge, spring onion, coriander, chopped up spinach, red capsic, you know that red cabbage that's been sitting there. Chop that up, pop that into You can then put like frozen peas or at a Mummie peas in it. Nothing is wrong in the bag. Just throw it in the bag, seal the bag, shake the bag, okay, open the bag, dump it straight into a bowl. That's dinner. I swear to you. It is so amazing because the chicken juices all soak up into the rice. And here's an elevated piece. An elevated hack is you can buy microwave rice that has like infused with ginger or coconut. Do that. It's mind blowing. And you know the best part you get like it gets better on day two and three, Like the flavors get better. So yeah, I highly recommend.
Speaker 4: The supermarket near my place on Mondays sometimes has one dollar.
Speaker 2: So this is what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love this. The only hurdle in this is the chicken inck. I don't like pulling a chicken apart. It gives you the eck. I can't fully concentrate on what I'm doing. I have to be distracted.
Speaker 1: Is it the bone noise? It's the noise of the bone.
Speaker 3: When you say that actually makes me feel bit sick. So that but bart that said, I would eat one of these every week every Saturday. We have a bachelor's handbag without fail. So I love this trying to make it. Yeah, I will, I promise I will.
Speaker 1: That sounds delicious, Stacy, what are you recommending?
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, this week, I am going to recommend an article that's on mom and me. I'm sorry, I'm doing it an interests of my own job. I want you to go to momamea dot com dot au. But the reason I want you to go is because I want you to read this beautiful story that Natasha shol has written for us, and it is a letter to the siblings of kids with additional needs. So, her son Ezra was twelve when he was diagnosed with cancer and a rare neurological condition. Overnight. He became wheelchair bound overnight. But this is not a story about that. This is a story about her three younger children and how they handled that situation and how the kind of the DNA of their family changed after that night. So Ezra is fifteen now and he's got these three younger brothers. And she speaks so beautifully in this piece because a lot of well meaning people, and she doesn't say that this is wrong. She's saying, it's lovely that people say this. But even doctors in the hospital when he was unwell were saying this, Your boys will learn so much about being compassionate from having a brother with additional needs. And she said, he's not a lesson to be learned if he teaches them anything. It's about music and movies and age inappropriate humor. And it also doesn't give his brothers the credit they deserve either. When you see them in full flight, and indeed, it is a thing to behold. It's not that they have become compassionate or mature because of his illness and disability. They've always been that way. They're just showing the world what they're made of a little bit earlier than most. And I know that everyone is so busy and that reading a full article actually feels like a lot these days, but please get to the end for the tooth Fairy story.
Speaker 2: It made me weep.
Speaker 3: I just think it's a beautiful, beautiful piece of writing. So we'll link.
Speaker 1: She is a beautiful writer. Natasha show is yes, gorgeous writer. Yeah, a mother of four and just powerhouse. Yeah like yeah, incredible.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm recommending a book which came out twenty six years ago.
Speaker 3: I am breaking with you, cutting everyone get on it.
Speaker 4: But I have a story about why I'm recommending it this week. So, now that my kids are a little bit older, we're trying to do this thing after dinner each night called deer, drop everything and read. Not a revolutionary, dear, but you basically said a timer. Twelve minutes is about our maximum. And everyone just sits on the couch and reads their book. Which is good because I'm reading a fabulous book right now, fruit Fly, which is a very adult novel. But so I'm getting to read that every night for twelve minutes. My eight year old has been less into the whole dear program. But a couple of nights ago he'd brought home a book from school called Just Crazy. It's in the Australian author Andy Griffiths series of Just Books.
Speaker 1: Andy Griffith and Full Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's just this little page. It's got nine stories illustrated by Terry Denton, like a chapter book. And as he was reading it the last couple of nights, I have seen him just chuckling away to himself and then like whispering to his sister some of the funny bits, and.
Speaker 2: I realized that he thought he was.
Speaker 4: Getting away with something by reading this book because it's.
Speaker 2: A bit naughty.
Speaker 4: It's a bit it's disgusting, and he thinks that he's like transgressing, like doing something naughty, which is great because he thinks like it references bad words. It doesn't say bad words, but it references the concept of bad words, talks about farts, you know, other stuff that kids think is naughty. And I just hope that he continues to believe that I am actually genuinely bothered by this book and its contents, because there is nothing that is going to encourage a child to read more than a feeling that they are getting away with something. Yeah, it brought me back to when I was a kid and I picked books off my parents' bookshelf that I probably shouldn't have been reading it, which were not even vaguely aged appropriate, probably had a sex or two, and I felt like I was just really the most mischievous kid and I was doing something I shouldn't be doing, and it kept me reading. So thanks, Andy Griffiths, you are really making our deer sessions hum along very nicely.
Speaker 3: Indeed, I love the deer session concept. That is like top tier mumming from you amally, it's an American.
Speaker 4: School's stalwart, like deer drop everything you read and you just set the alarm on your phone for twelve minutes. Twelve minutes is ambitious, I will say, But see your mileage may vary on that.
Speaker 1: That is all we have time for this week on Parenting Out Loud. Hey, thanks for joining us. We know that you're busy and you've got heaps of other podcasts that you could listen to. It means actually a lot to us that you keep coming back every Saturday morning, and we are trying to sort of like grow the show, spread the word, find others. Tribe of smart parents that are also overwhelmed by everything but want to feel informed about stuff. So we're not going to ask you to share it because you don't want to add shit to your to do list. But if you're not following the show yet, it would be amazing if you could just like hit the little plus in your podcast app, because what it does is it sort of like shoots us up the charts and more people can sort of discover the show. It's a big old thumbs up and doesn't cost you anything. It's just like, come, why not say?
Speaker 4: Look, I know these parents listening are busy, but if you do want to share in at least one group chat, we wouldn't say no, Like, I think that's a reasonable as these smart people live a.
Speaker 3: Review telling us we're wonderful. That's all so fine, that's so fine to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, but what would what would it say about you to share this particular episode if you don't everyone be like Sarah's trying to tell us that we're Sarah is panicking about the school photos again.
Speaker 4: But just this episode. And I would say an underlying thesis of this show is this is not normal. If you're a parent who looks at the world and says this is not okay.
Speaker 2: This is not normal. This is a good podcast view show.
Speaker 3: And plus they get to learn about the musical talents of Charlie Wu Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: This is the show to share.
Speaker 1: Let us not forget Charlie wo. Yeah. All right, thanks for the pep talk, have a great week. We'll be back in this feed chatting to you next weekend. See then, Mummy acknowledges the traditional owners of land on which we have recorded this podcast.