Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Bondi Sands Everyday Skincare.
Speaker 2: These are the yays of our lives.
Speaker 1: Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is the platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives.
Speaker 3: They adore the good, bad and ugly.
Speaker 1: The best and worst days will bear all the facets of seizing your yea. I'm Sarah Davidson or Spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and Matcha Milk Bar.
Speaker 3: Sez the Ya is.
Speaker 1: A series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way.
Speaker 3: Hi Viim, Morning Bim, Welcome back, Welcome back to the show, Welcome back to you to live.
Speaker 2: I know who re entered the universe. This is the first years of our lives in so many weeks. A very very belated birthday episode to everyone who submitted questions for our Q and a thank you so much for your patients. I feel like I kept putting up that Q and A function on socials and saying we're recording tomorrow, and then we just didn't record tomorrow for a month.
Speaker 3: For a whole month.
Speaker 4: I feel like the episode we did prior or the last one we did was a few days before your birthday, and then well, oh, we won't include the birthday stuff because we're just recorded next week. And then next week became six sixteen years later and eighty.
Speaker 3: Five years old.
Speaker 5: It was a new Q and Aarian life. It's been really great, really great. My voice is aged, that makes sense. But you were on well, I was onwell.
Speaker 2: I finally the spicy cough caught out with me.
Speaker 3: It was definitely my turn, like, let's be real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm actually really impressed that it took that long.
Speaker 3: So am I I am.
Speaker 4: As much obviously I would never be should upon anyone.
Speaker 3: I'm I was like, finally, she shut up. I still sound like this it's really lingering. Yeah, but you had a cold afterwards as well, so it's kind of.
Speaker 4: Just but it's quite common to have these prost viile symptoms, and mystag is still be infectious.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was like, surely, surely.
Speaker 4: Because we were hanging out just two days before came came busy and we will spend the whole day together.
Speaker 3: Whole day we watched a movie and like we went to help. We went, oh my god, we haven't. We have so much to catch up on.
Speaker 2: This is why we need to record these episodes once every three days, because too much happens in between.
Speaker 3: Because you all need to catch up on our line on what we have been doing a group.
Speaker 4: Our lives, Sarah and I, not yours.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: These episodes are just us having catchups and sharing all our random and jokes that nobody understands.
Speaker 3: Why are we like this? Sure nobody cares.
Speaker 4: That's what it gets. Your birthday was what happened for your birthday? You surprised me? I know that was a week after the birthday.
Speaker 3: There was birthday, No, well, birthday day. I did my tradition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we do a tradition of surprising each other with random things.
Speaker 3: No streamers, Oh yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So and just tradition is that she somehow gets into our home because she has keys, and then I leave streamers.
Speaker 3: In the most obnoxious possible way.
Speaker 4: And I go all out, Like I remember one year you went to a massage and I went all out in your bedroom, went like balloons across the walls, like have a birthday, balloons on the ground. I hid in the in the couch waiting for you to surprise you. And then this time I had come from work, so I came. It was a whole debarko. We we actually want to record that night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I told I'm already losing my voice. No, you're just just a bit tired. I was like, that's faan, its your birthday and it was on the day. It was on the day day, and you have a ring, a new ring. Oh yeah, okay, So we brand the context.
Speaker 2: Nicole kept the footage, so we installed Some of you guys might remember from socials that Nick's car got broken into, and the irony of that was that we had just installed those proper alarmed like ring Ring is the brand cameras that attached to your doorbell and.
Speaker 3: That are like motion sense activated.
Speaker 2: So the day before his car got broken into, we had all the automatic lights, all the video footage, but like the notification on his phone didn't wake him up, So we just caught four K footage of a burglar going into his car and couldn't do anything about it. But now Nick has this really loud in your face of noxious alarm that goes like any motion near our door and he gets this like chime bell wind and going on like, I know.
Speaker 4: You have ring, but I don't know how ring works because I don't know. I just I don't even have a doorbell. But you just have to knock, like use your own muscles and OK. Over in Plubtown, we just used knuckles. Were coming and I was on the phone to my friend on FaceTime.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, and I was like, thought, I was so incognito. I was like whispering, Oh my god, she doesn't know.
Speaker 2: She wasn't.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, the whole ring sensor, emotion alarm, voice alarm. Nick was watching the whole thing go down. I was on the front porch and he was. He was messaging me and being like, what the f are you doing? Do you think no one can hear you? And I was like yeah, whispering. He's like, the whole house can hear you?
Speaker 3: And I said I think.
Speaker 2: There's women outside and he's like, oh no, there's no women outside.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, someone's outside a phone call. No one can hear me.
Speaker 2: Because you were just like multitasking, like putting his streamers up, having a.
Speaker 3: Little gap with a friend. I was whispering, joy whispering, I thought I was.
Speaker 4: And I was like, well, look how good the front watch looks like I was giving her a door.
Speaker 3: Off the streamers. But you'd be like, look at the streamers.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh no, everyone knows that laugh is also a tradition to these episodes.
Speaker 4: I did end up decorating it as per usual, and then we had dinner that was a birthday day, but the birthday surprise was weeks after.
Speaker 3: It was so lovely, it was the best.
Speaker 2: So also, as you guys know, coolest thing in the entire universe is that my brother and I share our birthday. So we were both adopted from different biological families, born in different cities, but we have the same birthday four years apart, and then ended up getting adopted into the same family through a blind process, which blows my mind. So if you don't believe in destiny, it's impossible not to grow up believing in destiny. When oh, totally, that's how I ended up with my brother. And also I forget that you're adopted.
Speaker 4: I remember that one time I was in Korea and I met.
Speaker 3: I have this Korean friend, Jade. I love Jade. You know Jade. We all love Jade.
Speaker 4: And she is like Korean against speaks Korean, but I met her in Melbourne and obviously speaks very full in English. So she's flying back to Korean now lives in Korean and I was there the other year and I was like, Jay, let's catch up, and she's my only Korean.
Speaker 3: Friend in my brain? Am I only Korean friend?
Speaker 4: And so I went and I just this post and I was like, oh my only Korean friend.
Speaker 3: Love you so much, Jade.
Speaker 4: And Sarah commented, she goes, what the actual excuse me going on?
Speaker 3: No kidding? I just forgot, Sarah, I was Korean. I was like, oh my god, this is I'm so sorry. I just forgot because okay.
Speaker 4: Forget sure, shop, I forget because your mum is like country bumpkin Australian lady mom.
Speaker 3: I love my mummy.
Speaker 2: Mother's Day is also coming up. It's been since our last episode. My birthday is so far away.
Speaker 3: Mother's Day but between howd Easter in between that and also.
Speaker 4: You went to Hamilton Island and did it also into Hamilton Island?
Speaker 3: How was that?
Speaker 2: It was absolutely incredible. I got to meet Grace Tame amazing. Oh my gosh, she's such a special human being. We had the greatest time.
Speaker 3: So much has happened. Oh my god, how do I what was it for? Again?
Speaker 2: So first I was em seeing they keep it cleaner to us, that's right and one of the most beautiful things.
Speaker 1: Ever.
Speaker 2: As you know, I go on about this all the time, but meeting listeners in real life reminds me a that they exist, but b is just the most special special thing to like out in the wild get to actually meet people who listen to the show. And I didn't expect you know, it's keep it cleaner, I thought, Stephan, Laura, they have a beautiful, big, like massive community, and I sort of would you know, finishing emceeing and then like go to leave and they'd have this massive queue of people.
Speaker 3: And then the fact that they were like SE's the a listeners who were also wait.
Speaker 2: Around wait for me for Cca, and it was so so lovely.
Speaker 3: Some people like brought their book so that.
Speaker 2: I could say it blew my mind absolutely was the most special thing ever. And then from the Brisbane Keep It Cleaner to UR went to Hamilton Island to mc for Entrepreneurs Organization, which is another amazing, amazing bunch of people who it's a global organization with chapters in each city and you get put into forums with I think eight or nine or maybe ten other business owners of a similar size but different industries, and it's just it's an amazing, amazing community.
Speaker 3: And that was mind blowing. Didn't they have like a non something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a non solicitation and strict confidentiality clauses so you have a safe place you're not allowed to pitch to each other. Makes sense, but I like, you're not allowed to tell anyone else, so you can share your figures really openly, and like you know, business can be really isolated. It can be really hard to find people who can give you honest advice without using your information for something.
Speaker 3: It's a really really beautiful organization.
Speaker 2: It really was quite special and for me too to have gone from two years of not having colleagues or not really doing anything to being with like three hundred and fifty amazing people. Yeah, it was so special that we had easter. I just like, I don't even know where to start, like so much has.
Speaker 3: Happened, so much has happened. Well, we did go to Hamilton. We went to Hamilton and then Hamilton the Musical and Hamilton's a lot of Hamilton Hamilton's. Hamilton was great. You didn't know about it.
Speaker 4: I just picked you up and then we weren't.
Speaker 2: It was really one of those fun days. So, oh, you have to tell us about your yesterday.
Speaker 3: Oh my, yesterday you.
Speaker 4: Went to Newcastle. Oh, so I was having a live crisis. We realized it wasn't really a live crisis. I was just very exhausted, and then realized I was really low and iron and then I didn't realize what the ripple effects of being a really low energy was, and one of those for me was being really irritable and fidgety, and like I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I am may get it. Yeah, we're going to have an equestrian. I'm actually so bad.
Speaker 4: I couldn't I couldn't be more cold if Oh my god, it's just embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I'm very sorry for that those have affected Loss.
Speaker 2: We're really sorry that Ange was a bitch and actually made LOSSI cry that's.
Speaker 3: A story for another day, another day.
Speaker 4: So I went to Newcastle on a whim to see my really great friend and I love being spontaneous, and it was a very spontaneous trip. I decided I was meant to say to the Thursday, and then extended it to the Saturday.
Speaker 3: She's got two kids who are.
Speaker 4: Four and five or three and five turning four and six, and I just adore them. So we haven't seen it time for ages and my kids would kind of bear remember me if anything, but they're just awesome, and they're really awesome kids. Anyway, I said to her, I was like, can I take them out for yesterday? And then she's like, yeah, of course, Oh my god, do whatever you want. She's like whatever, school is not important. She's a teacher. She school's not important.
Speaker 3: She was your teacher. She was one of the best.
Speaker 4: So I took them out of school for a whole day and I said to them, you can write on this a place paper all the things that you want to do, and I have to say yes to all of them.
Speaker 3: It was the cutest list of things to do.
Speaker 4: It was like, see what's on the sushi train, but sushi was spout so shy.
Speaker 3: See what's happening in the movies?
Speaker 4: Make dinner for mom and Dad, have a fancy dinner like fancy spout f a and s y drawer house.
Speaker 3: Watch seventeen I watch seventeen movies.
Speaker 4: Oh I remember, go to the Mausam Museum, like the great They go to the park, catch the fairy, poor beautiful things, and I was like, gin is a testament to their parenting is that there was only one thing that involved technology, which was the seventeen movies. Because it was all cooking for mom and dad, writing Mamma Dad's invitation.
Speaker 3: We literally did all of it. We caught the bus.
Speaker 4: Everywhere around Newcastle, went over the ferry, went to the park. They saw a fountain. They were like, one caused me stanch and one caused me. I was like still trying to figure out how.
Speaker 3: What my name is? It be like stanch, Oh my god, that's so.
Speaker 4: Stane dang for lamb dang like ants like just can.
Speaker 3: Never get it right, like I love children.
Speaker 4: And so they were running around naked in this fountain because it was yesterday. We had so much sugar jilati at before night ten o'clock.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, just the best day ever.
Speaker 4: And then we cooked for mom and dad that night and they had to have a fancy dinner which went Mom and dad had to dress up in a suit and dress, and we were the waitresses.
Speaker 3: So I said, Cordy, you put maybe let's make this the romantic. She's like, yeah, she d.
Speaker 4: Do a love hunt in a book and put on the tables and then she wout a table number on this like old people that wrote seventy two for some reason, table seventy two. The funniest kids ever. And so we served them and it was the best. And then we turned into a documentary that we showed them that night. So we filmed the whole day, turned into a little video that cord He chosen music and the some of the footage and stuck.
Speaker 3: And we showed my dad that night our whole day out, and it was just like it was so.
Speaker 4: Refreshing and wholesome, and I was.
Speaker 3: Probably exactly what I needed.
Speaker 4: I think that trip for me wasn't didn't need to be an adventure trip. Normally i'd be very adventurous, like camping and van laughing and doing lots of water sports and things like that. But I think I just wanted to bunk it down in that trip, which I was able to because they're just so wholesome.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah, Yesterday was awesome.
Speaker 4: I highly recommend Yesterday for anyone at any age.
Speaker 3: I feel like everyone needs to have a day a Yesterday.
Speaker 4: But I think you need someone to pull you, like, go and surprise you, take you out of whatever you're doing for that day and just just surrender to the spontaneity. Yeah, like similar to Hamilton.
Speaker 2: Or I was gonna say, that's what we did on my birthday was like a kind of a version of that where I didn't know what anything was. I just had to say yes to like the whole day of insert Andrews here.
Speaker 4: This date, please block out a day, and I booked you the tickets ages and your mom was so your mom was the best.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I was only off the scent because she did that amazing acting at the table.
Speaker 3: She was amazing. So I was like so total.
Speaker 4: I was like, I only told Elizabeth because I assumed or knew that it's something that you and I might have booked for your aunties and your mom to take them to. So I was like, oh, I'm sorry, but I've booked it for for a birthday. Do you mind making sure that she doesn't book it all that's not already booked. She's like, oh my god, best present ever.
Speaker 3: And then at the table at your birthday, I was like, I'm so excited. You want to know what it is? And your mom was like, oh no, You're like your mom's not very happy about it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and then she goes she just fully play into it. She goes and straight dead face. She was like, I'm actually quite concerned. It's quite dangerous.
Speaker 2: And so I thought we were going to like like squid water.
Speaker 4: Raft like because she kept playing with it like your mom fully just continued for two weeks, being like I'm just I'm not I'm not that keen on the activity.
Speaker 2: You should write a will. But it's like, oh my god, that's something you would do. I was like, fuck typical. And she's gone and booked me into some like extreme sport, like we're probably bungee jumping onto a mountain in the Alps to ski down a hill or something.
Speaker 3: I want to relax.
Speaker 2: It was so good, and then you took me into the city and I thought we were going to You said historical Yep, we're going to the museum.
Speaker 4: And I was like, which I was really excited about, Like Jesus, I could have saved a lot of money and just gone to the museum.
Speaker 2: But I love that. So my mum, you always used to do run away from school days. That's where it was like without calling it yesterday, it was he yes day. And I think that was so formative that there were just days where we do this all the time. We have no plans, even like last night we did a movie but we didn't know we were going to have a movie night. It's just balled our eyes out.
Speaker 4: It's a block out the day day. But I think there's also some niceness in. I know it's hard with full time working things. You can't necessarily just take someone out, but you can always book someone out and be like, hey take an audio or take an annual leave dawn this day, trust me.
Speaker 3: It's worth it.
Speaker 4: Or even like an a time like a yes, pick them up, just kind of not have any plans and just pick them up and take them somewhere and they have to genuinely surrender, you know, phones down, like social media or whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Really, but it's really.
Speaker 4: Refreshing and wholesome and lovely.
Speaker 2: So that's our recommendation, That's what I Yeah, that's definitely Yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah with anyone could be your parents or Paul, anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we also have we have so many different dops in our brains at the moment, so it's already I mean, our normal episodes are chaotic, but this, I'm like, Okay, where do we even go from here? But another thing that's kind of Yesterday related is that now we're actually able to do live events again and things in person, and how lovely it's been on a few times so far since reopening up that I've been able to actually meet neighborhood people in real life again. It's just brought so much joy that we were thinking of doing something like a like a Pino and Picasso night together, like as a small group or ceramics. You and I love ceramics, like things like that, but definitely Pino and Pocasso, So like, would anyone be interested if anyone's listening and would like to join us, anyone, We'll do it in Melbourne first, Yep. Any Melbourne listeners who just want to come and have a gas bag bitter pino, maybe do some painting.
Speaker 3: I feel like that could be really fun. We could do a Yester night. I'm not telling anyone what it is, except we already just told everyone ye.
Speaker 2: Or it can be for like you and a friend and it's a yes night, so you don't tell your friend. So people listening say, if you want to come and bring a friend, but you don't tell the friend what they're coming to is yeah.
Speaker 3: And then you, oh my god, okay, and we did not find this obviously ned to tell us why your friend deserves the yes night. Oh mhm.
Speaker 2: Hall recommend hala hala recommend.
Speaker 3: Only true is what we're talking about. Even still, oh my god.
Speaker 4: What if the friend is actually a special event for their friend, could be their birthday, could.
Speaker 2: Be theirs, but they don't tell us what it's about, and we have to like what charades to guess it was at.
Speaker 4: What it isn't on the night they're like, oh, we're actually pretty Then an a baby shower with all these it's like.
Speaker 2: The neighborhood wedding we were going to do. Yeah, and a couple is trying to get propos to. One of our listeners was like, I want to get proposed to just so it could be a gaggle wedding anyway.
Speaker 4: So back to the premise of the whole thing.
Speaker 3: We will hold a yester night.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it will be around Pino and Pcasso. I think is our first one. So let us know if you would like to come and why. I don't even know how many spot I should probably like call Peter be like can you actually do that? But that would be the greatest. Let us know if you would like some more neighborhood events, because I.
Speaker 3: Feel like it'd be fun. It's so much fun for us.
Speaker 4: As well and the future ones. It's a don't know what's happening, just book out the night, turn this evening, yeah, and then we you and I organize it.
Speaker 3: No, okay?
Speaker 5: Or you know.
Speaker 3: Whole episode is.
Speaker 2: So you know you know on do you listen to SmartLess? No, it's the podcast with Jason Bateman who else?
Speaker 3: I can't even remember.
Speaker 2: Who the three guys are, but three really famous, amazing.
Speaker 3: Actors about it all the time.
Speaker 2: It's so funny and the friend but only one of them knows the guests each time, so it'll be like Will Ferrell. Yeah, but it can be like you organize one yester night and I don't know what it is, and then I organize the next one and you don't.
Speaker 3: Know what it is, and no one, no one else knows. You're only one person.
Speaker 2: So another thing we did last night was we let the internet decide what we were going to watch for our movie night.
Speaker 4: That could be a day that we do let the internet decide. Okay, sorry, continue, my god, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: This is such a choose your own adventure episode.
Speaker 3: This is such a freedom adventure but there's no freedom. Yes episode, but it's all no, Oh my god. We we are so hectic. Okay, what else? It's been minutes and we haven't started on the birth night. But what did we watch last night? Very wholesome recommendations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, we've missed a lot of recommendations and yeahbihood watch stories. We're going to record next week's episodes straight after this because there's too much stuff to get through and it's on. But we do have one overarching recommendation from last night. We had him a little movie night we didn't want to watch. As always putting it out there to the universe, I would like an app where you put your genre and like whether you want to cry or not? And you know whether you want it to be, you know, whatever you want it to be, and like it just spits out a movie for you to watch because I'm so indecisive. But we did that with the internet. And can you please give a shout out to whoever recommended it to us?
Speaker 4: Lindsay, who's we call it at work? Lindsey hoo can out? I think that's how you pronounce it's a long last.
Speaker 3: My god, he should have checked before you went love with her.
Speaker 4: That's okay, Linz will be okay with it. Linz recommended it. It's called coda. To be honest, I think the best part of it was.
Speaker 3: That I knew of the movie.
Speaker 4: I didn't know what it was about, had zero idea of what it was about.
Speaker 3: I knew that they had one a few.
Speaker 4: Awards, and I knew the backstory of the crew being hearing impaired and or death, and I, you know me, I just love I.
Speaker 3: Love it all. I love all of it.
Speaker 4: I love Oslan, and I love asl which is the American one, and I love just how the communication I thing it through the beautiful anyway we ended up watching that, we went from hey, we both want true crime.
Speaker 2: Death killing, we actually started on the prostitute video the.
Speaker 3: Sex Worker now Been. We liter sad in the is it?
Speaker 2: We watched the first thirty seconds of a Ted Bundy movie before this recommend it. She came through and I'm so glad that we abandoned it in favor of Coder. But you know, what's the most beautiful thing is watching a movie when you haven't heard all the hype, you don't really know.
Speaker 3: So I was like that with Hamilton. I didn't know any of the backstory.
Speaker 2: I just knew that our dear friend Georgia Love was like only speaks in Hamiltonian.
Speaker 3: But otherwise I had no idea about it.
Speaker 2: And sometimes coming to something without knowing the storyline is it's like a yester night.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm saying yes.
Speaker 2: To this movie for two and a half hours, even though I don't know what it's about. And we were bawling within thirty minutes.
Speaker 4: Is can I quickly put what the other recommendations were from?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but first let's go through coder? Oh yeah, yeah, sorry, so yep, CODA.
Speaker 2: So CODER actually stands for child of a Deaf adult. Yes, And actually, maybe we shouldn't say too much about it so that people who haven't watched it just go and watch it without knowing anything about it and then report back because it is just so much yay in the heart, like bawling our eyes out.
Speaker 3: Actually I was making fun of man. I was like, am Ukraine airy movie.
Speaker 4: Was walking around the room like, you know, I'm so strong, and I was like, I'm about to cry. And it was not even a really teary part of the movie. It's not a sad movie.
Speaker 3: It's just beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I was like crying, sterious in hysterics and then and I was like shamelessly crying and then all of a suddenly hear.
Speaker 3: Like this nose sniffley the other way. It was just it was tears of joy though.
Speaker 2: It was just pure humanity and so much love and emotion, and just go and watch it.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: I don't think you could ever get to the end of it and not feel warm and enlightened and oh it's it's beautiful. And then of course we do that thing where then we go in a YouTube wormhole and watch all the interviews with the actors about the movie. It won three Oscars, so you probably don't need to know anymore, But do yourself a favor and go and watch it, especially if you're having a bad day like you just it's so so beautiful, and don't look up too much about it.
Speaker 3: I kind of like that idea. Yeah, we had no idea, We just watched it.
Speaker 4: I think that's the other thing about recommendations is that they're recommended recommendations is because they were recommendated to you.
Speaker 3: Recommendated. It's kind again recommend datd.
Speaker 4: To you, so you kind of trust in that already, so you don't really have to vet it or like you read the blurbs or anything.
Speaker 2: And just another really quick shout out for another recommendation which was actually a nomination. The last guest we had on I think it was the last guest, or maybe the guest before, Alison Gordon, who was the incredible Army officer turned Arctic and Antarctic expeditionist turned sustainable pet food business owner who created this net zero protein source for her PTSD suffering former parrot drooping dog like water story was submitted by Emily de Wilgis, who's an amazing neighborhood listener and I would never have found Alison without that, so I love the idea of getting you guys to whistleblow on your community heroes because we want to feature them. And now we're getting a bit more organized with how we're going to be sharing these stories, so please keep them coming.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Can I share some other recommendations?
Speaker 3: Go for it?
Speaker 4: So we put it up on the Instagram. These are some of the recommendations. So in canto Lin, Manuel, Maria, Christina, thank you Christina, we had please put No Escape on your list. Such a great movie, awful but great from Colby.
Speaker 3: Awful love Colby, I love awful but great.
Speaker 4: Yes, The Reader with Kate Winslet was apparently good, apparently mind boggling, but very much enjoyed, so please watch that. Apparently this one was like passionately advocated for, so it must be good. Dot on Netflix called The Last Breath incredible. Just trust me, I swear you'll be recommending it to everyone.
Speaker 3: Trust me. Trust So okay, I think it's the next sex on that.
Speaker 4: Second on our list, we've got Turning Red, oh, which I think is on Disney Plus Potential.
Speaker 3: I think it's a cartoon.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I haven't actually watched any of these. I feel like we need to have a vetting.
Speaker 4: Process in case we're like, oh yeah, good, turny red, don't look up, don't look at ted Lasso by Junior.
Speaker 3: Ted Lasso has been recommended so many times. I haven't watched any of either. I don't know why we need to do and we need to do that. Three sixty five DNA watch it. It's like a comedy apparently if you want to laugh. Devil was Classic by Steph.
Speaker 4: Dev was the one that recommended three sixty five DNA. Yeah, there were the main ones. I think hopefully I've got more. Yeah, some good recommendations. So if you do have a movie night that you've got coming.
Speaker 3: Up, start with Coder.
Speaker 4: Yes, start with Coder and then.
Speaker 3: Sa us out the others. All please recommend us other ones.
Speaker 2: If you have.
Speaker 3: Lovely neighborhood.
Speaker 1: You might remember our incredible guest from episode one hundred and fifteen, Blair James, who started out in a town of just one thousand people, only to grow Bondi Sands to over fifty products in a whopping thirty thousand retailers worldwide. Since then, Bondi Sands has launched an incredible everyday skincare range packed with Australian botanicals that has something for every skin type, even the sensitive ones like mine. I love a Naussi business, as you all know, especially one that serves up that glow all within one hundred percent recyclable post consumer packaging. And the range itself has options to cleanse, treat, hydrate, protect and mask, with packaging colors and shapes to identify each one, and there's a skincare quiz online.
Speaker 3: To help you choose what's right for you.
Speaker 1: My favorites are the Golden Hour Brightening, Vitamin C Serum, Bondai Babe Purify, and Clay Mask, especially with all the travel and makeup at work at the moment. And most importantly there's Sunny Days Hydrating spr fifty plus moisturizer. Suncare is so incredibly important for our skin as we all know. I'll pop the link in the show notes for you to check it out.
Speaker 3: Questions.
Speaker 2: I feel like these poor people who have submitted them for like six weeks now to so to have some of them answered question they did have to suffer through thirty minutes of us laughing about nothing.
Speaker 3: Okay, so questions.
Speaker 4: This was just random questions slash questions. If they wanted about your birthday, but it ended up just being a mixedport.
Speaker 3: It's bad.
Speaker 4: It's bad, I think, So I'm just gonna throw some at you.
Speaker 3: Sure, okay, this one. It's probably quite a nice.
Speaker 4: One for some people. It is by Nat Underscore fam. How did you find balance during your time as a lawyer? Young struggling grad Here, Oh, I emerge with a tear rolling down face but still smiling.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel your pain, my love. Balance is something that is so elusive. I think in all chapters of my life I've struggled with it. But it definitely was harder than I think, because you know, at the very beginning and improve yourself, you don't necessarily feel established enough or confident enough to take back the power in the same way that you might a few years into your career. You know, you are kind of establishing yourself, working hard, trying to learn, make a good impression. It's really difficult, and I think looking back at that time, we had matro Maiden in the background from probably the end of my first year. So having something even if you can only give it a little bit of time on the weekend, a little bit of time after work, it doesn't have to be a full business, but having something on the side that gives your brain a little bit of a rest but also makes you excited to finish work at the end of the day, like something you can't wait to get to or that you can't wait to have time for. I found that even if it wasn't technically balanced in terms of work being like ninety percent of my life and that only being ten percent, it's better than having nothing else to balance it out. I feel like where the biggest challenge happens is where you're working life. If your working identity and your working goals become everything and you're so tired that you don't make time for anything else, which is so understandable and natural. But even just having one small activity that you know makes you really happy and making sure that's the one thing you don't miss, whether or not anything else gets fitted in that week. I feel like, you know, as you get more senior, and as you get more confident in being able to push back a little bit your time to integrate that activity into your week, more will grow.
Speaker 3: But just start small.
Speaker 2: Start with something that gives your brain a complete rest and your body a complete rest. Surround yourself with friends who also either going through the same thing, or who have been through it and either found a solution or change their balance, or who got the balance wrong and wish that they could tell someone younger than them how to fix it. I think just having people to bounce off in those harder times as well really helps.
Speaker 4: This is a question on the back of that question that wasn't in the list, but in grad lawyer corporate kind of life, do you still get to cumulate leave for the year and things like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, So that's the other thing. Yeah, use your six days. It takes a while to a crew leave.
Speaker 2: But I think in some working environments there is a bit of pressure not to take your leave, but you're entitled to it. I mean, perhaps don't ask for it in your first three months at the firm, but yeah, you're entitled to take that. And I think it's it's a much better environment now, a much better landscape than it was, say ten years ago or even five years ago. People are more accepting that burnt out employees don't achieve much.
Speaker 4: I allow you, That's what I learned the hard way. I think I was so new and fresh and.
Speaker 3: Like I have to be committed to this job.
Speaker 4: I took I think three days of annually last year altogether and then obviously the eight days that we have to take. But I underappreciated the ability to take leave and we were really lucky at work that they actually encourage it and they would, but in my mind it was my own conscience that was like, oh, no, I can't leave the team, like yeah, they're so short stuffed already, like in the middle of pandemic, I can't leave them. When they were kind of like, no, we want you to and you should. Yeah, and so they were encouraging and I always here it being like no, no, like there's never a good time, but there's never going to be a good time, and so that's why Newcastle. But it took me that long to just use it. And then I was like, oh my god, now I've booked. I'd like, you used all my leave for the year, but preemptively booked for the rest of the year, and now I have things to silk forward to. That's how it's worked for me, is that I rather than continually work and there's nothing to look forward to, then if you book leave somewhere at the end of the year, even it's for a week means that there's something exciting.
Speaker 3: That's happening in the look to look forward to.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing as well that really helped me is looking at the public holidays that you have in the year in advance and sort of if you don't want to take that much leave, you can just add a day onto a three day weekend, so that turns into four days, but you've only had to use one day about your leave, and if you book early enough before you need it. Where it gets tricky is where you know, you suddenly realize there's a three day weeknd next week and you ask them or in a week in advance, like you can't manage your workload around taking four days off. Whereas if you book it now the public holidays are already set. You know you can book now for like November, and build it in so that you know in advance you've given them enough notice. You can hand over all your case files on time. You know, if you kind of plan ahead, you don't feel as guilty because you're not leaving anyone. You know, you're not announcing it at the last minute. Everyone can plan around you. And also then you can get it. Yeah, like you said, you can get excited, So I think I think you're yeah, managing your annual leave as efficiently and effectively as you can. It's there for a reason. And sick days, I mean they don't roll over. You're supposed to use them in the year and not waiting either until you're like deathly, because it can take you a really long time to get well if you don't take a sick day like when it could be most effective. But also I never used my sick days for mental health days. I only use them for physical health days, and that did not work very well. So if you're having a mental like, don't feel like you can't use them for mental holidays either.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: This is random one, but I like random. I actually like them, not being mini dot xcent. How do you normally greet each other on the phone and in person? Question? Usually bim.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Normally Sarah will be like, hey, bim, this is the phone, so the ring ring.
Speaker 4: Sarah, hay bim, and I'll be like, did you just throw your phone in the triangle because she doesn't pick up a hundred.
Speaker 3: Times and then she just like randomly picks up, so you're always surprised you're like, be.
Speaker 1: Like Bim.
Speaker 2: Because you're in the car and I my master goes boop. So yeah, it's very excitable. Funny story. So Nick used to always make fun of my master bootoo, so when when I would call him, he'd answer and go boot boop. And one of our friends, Jimmy, thought that that's what we call each other. Cute name is for each other.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I was like, what are you saying? It's like, isn't it what do you call each other? Boot boom? I'm like, what do you is the best? No, it's always the phone is.
Speaker 4: You're always very much hey Bim and I'm Bolina or you're like Bimberlina.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's very much like I don't ever say bim Berlina. I say bimbaynor. I think not when I first say you yeah, and then sometimes you're like oi yeah, sometimes you're let oi okay. I didn't realize.
Speaker 4: And also, oh this is a visual again but this obeah, yeah, this is definitely me and now I do it?
Speaker 3: Have you noticed it's waving like with your hands fingers together and thumb or touching each other.
Speaker 2: And your hand doesn't move independently of your forearm, like the whole thing moves together. That's a shoulder exercise. You've got to keep your core really stable. But it's really small movements.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really small. When did that start? I have no idea, bim and then but us.
Speaker 4: Physically seeing each other is very excitable. It's not like a bam and then a jump like it's a hug jump up and down me. And so it's really skinny. So she goes through my arm.
Speaker 3: Just joined like non patents jumping. It's a really cute question.
Speaker 4: It is each other. On the back of that, he's why do you call each other bim Is it short for bimbo? That's what we've definitely told that story nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just because I.
Speaker 4: Would have been in the know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've we've we've done it before.
Speaker 2: It's a term of endement. Basically that started with bim Bolina was the person. No, it started with bimbo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then bim and then and then other suffixes came and then all had different meanings.
Speaker 3: But there's a hierarchy and Bimbi is at the top.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just kind of like bimbo is pretty like generic now yeah, and then.
Speaker 3: Like so if she calls you Bimbo, you're not in the circle of trust. You can't expose that. I'm gidding.
Speaker 4: No, he's determined of endearment that I started when I was in high school and then it's stuck. But for people that don't know me and don't know us, it can be people like, oh, that's been insulting, but it's hugely loving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, we call the other bim and I find it. We're calling you anything house I know whenever I call you and you're like, what genuinely like, who is bim is you? And your name's Bimby in my phone? And sometimes people like can you give me serious number? The other day I sent her to Ruthers and I forgot it said Bimby a Korean name.
Speaker 4: Okay, next question is how do you keep it real and feel confident and positive by missus Dodd. Hmmm.
Speaker 2: I think think when you keep it real, you feel more confident. Like for me at least, they're really closely tied together because the more that I show, and I didn't start this way necessarily. I was probably more curated at the start, particularly because my entrance to social media was through a business I had to be a bit more polished. At the beginning, I found I was less confident and more uh more overthinking on socials when I wasn't showing all sides of me. And I think it's because you create this persona and then the stress of feeling like you need to keep up with that, or then you're always concerned about perception, and that's like, that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's not being inauthentic. It's just it was being professional because in the context of a business, I couldn't, you know, be as probably loose as I am.
Speaker 3: When I first met you.
Speaker 5: You were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was quite structured about it, not necessarily structured.
Speaker 4: But if I said to you, hey, I'm going to steal your phone and then put up stories on my face, it would.
Speaker 3: Be like, no, this is really important. Immediately A no. Yeah, no, it's immediately a now it's a no. It's a no for me. But now you're so freely yourself it's great.
Speaker 2: And then I also feel like you feel more confident then because you know that you're showing all sides of yourself, including the less polished, the more like, you know, conventionally embarrassing or awkward or dor key kind of side of yourself or without makeup or whatever it is, or when you're sick. Sharing all of those things and knowing people stay, then you get more confident because you're like, oh, I feel accepted in my whole self, not just accepted in a small part. I think also surrounding yourself with people who are who hype you up rather than pull you down. That also makes it easy to be confident because whenever you do get in an echo chamber of self doubt or imposter syndrome, instead of someone echoing that or amplifying it for you, they just shut it down with you straight away. That helps enormously because the voices in your head really need people to help like drown them out positivity all the time. I think the same with confidence. Both of those things over time have become easier for me to be a default, but they don't start that way. I think both of them take practice. They're not just something. Some people wake up with them, some people have to curate them. But I think a lot of people think, oh, I could never be that positive, I could never be that confident. But it's definitely something you can practice. It's a skill, it's not just a gift that arrives or doesn't arrive. It's definitely not all the time. I mean, you've seen me in both states, completely without confidence and completely not positive.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think it's choosing to do things that make.
Speaker 2: Confidence and positivity easier in my life and getting rid of things that take away from those, Like there's an element of conscious choice in the way you live your life that makes those things easier. Blocking out pages that trigger you and make you feel bad or negative.
Speaker 4: I think you use your people really well in that you have this just user Yeah, any of them, the inmplices for our friendship, no, put them on after. You are great in using your people in that you have the same self doubt as a lot of people do, even with simple things like do you think this video looks funny today? But just at yeah, little things like is that sticker going to be really annoying? And when you look at your own things, you're very much self critically. You see things that most people don't see and care about. And it's nice to have people around you that you wholeheartedly trust that if they were to say no, it's good that you're like, okay, it's good and you can just continue with it and that helps a lot, and you use it really well, and I feel like it helps you because if I watch you try to make that decision would have taken thirty minutes tomorrow. You can just ask Snick or whoever and really trust their decision or their their input, and then you can keep it real. And the other thing you're good with with keeping it real is taking the mickey out of yourself, so greaz. I used to do it with Nick all the time, and now Sarah does it herself, which is so good.
Speaker 3: I mock you so much and I still do.
Speaker 4: And at the start, I think I probably would have been like, ah, she might take you a little bit personally, And now I'm like, I.
Speaker 3: Now love it it. I just go hard or go home. I think you're the same though.
Speaker 2: You're another one of those people that everyone assumes is positive and confident all the time, easily, but it's not effortless. Like you didn't wake up like that. There's been many times in your life where you won't like that, but you can.
Speaker 3: Every day all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you choose to build those traits and live your life in a way that helps those traits come out more than others.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: My strategy low standards, expects anything from everything.
Speaker 3: The bonus Yeah, just fart on Instagram and everything.
Speaker 4: Anything normal and socially appropriate. Bonus also follow my beauty chiel. Next, so how do you manage your crazy schedule? By Steph Hunter? For one? Two I think Steph Hunter, is you know when you spoke at the Austin hospital last year. Yeah, yeah, for yes, was one of the people that like loves you and I loved you having you there, and Fulm was organizer. I hate saying that, but she was like they all loved me because I got star and I love her.
Speaker 2: That's Andree's older cousin. She's the greatest. There's a Angel's a thing called Cousin's Day with all the cousins in their family. And I have been initiated into the Cousins activity next week.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I love them so much. Thank you Steph for the question. Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 2: And I think probably how much I've been hit by the symptoms over the past couple of weeks and why I got a cold straight after COVID is probably because I and I say it all the time, I still am not great at I think if some of my followers were as brutally honest as they wanted to be, perhaps in the weeks before that, they could said like, dude, you're gonna You're gonna burn out. At some point, someone's gonna happen. Definitely was traveling a bit much back to back and getting a bit over excited that everything was reopened again. But generally I'm getting better at it. And the first thing is again the people around you. Having people like the only fight engine I have ever had is when right, Paul, I agree, that is when it happened. The only fight we've ever had was when she was like, you tell these messages and you say to everyone like, look after yourself, hell this wealth, blah blah.
Speaker 3: And then you're just burning out all the time. It's a little bit hypocritical, but it was true.
Speaker 2: I was telling everyone like, you know, your greatest wealth is your health, and ballance is key and blah blah blah, and I was like dead. So I think having people who pull you up on it and help you not feel guilty about setting boundaries, who encourage you to prioritize yourself and not feel bad about it, who will never like if you try and cancel because you're looking after yourself, who will never bully you back into you know, who never make you feel bad about making those decisions. And also the way I look at it with any behavior, including confidence and happiness like we spoke about before, but also health, is that the best thing you can ever do is learn what your triggers are or just pretty much just hack your own habits. Like all of us will know when we're about to make a bad decision, it's pretty easy to see the things that lead you towards bad decisions, and I just build how I manage my schedule to avoid allowing myself to make bad decisions. Basically, So one thing I know for me is I'm very visual. So if I look at my calendar and I've got a full day with nothing in it, I'll assume, oh, I can put stuff on that day. So if someone asked me, can you do something for a full day that day, I'll go, yeah, I can. But if I have the day blocked out as me time or no bookings, like a big trigger warning like do not use this day because that's the only day you have off for fourteen days, then that's the only way that it'll stop me making a bad decision and saying, yes, I actually can fit that in. So I know I'm visual, which means I calendarize everything so that when I go to the point of checking if I'm free, I've blocked out time for nothing. If that makes sense, because that's the only thing that will stop my like that will break the circuit of yeah, I can fit it in when I really can't. So calendarizing everything, making appointments with myself the same way I would make a business appointment, limiting things to like two podcasts a day. I used to do like maybe five or six in one day and then try and go out for dinner. Now I kind of know high energy activities I can only do to a day. I try and only do them on certain.
Speaker 3: Days a week and have a computer admin day in between. When I'm traveling a lot.
Speaker 2: If I miss a weekend, like sometimes I work on weekends, and for example, when I had the Kick Tour, they were full days on a Saturday, and I normally wouldn't have a high energy work day on a Saturday. I do like smaller adminutes, so I had to replace that day with a quieter day during the week and if I don't do that, if I don't replace it somewhere, I obviously I burn out and I know I do. So I think hacking your own decision making process to make your schedule more manageable, and noticing if you have a week that felt too much, look at how much you did, and do not do that much again. It's like a math equation like if you're eighty percent capacity and that still feels like you're burnt out at the end of it, then you've got to change it the next week. Just constantly tweak and tweak until you find what works for you.
Speaker 4: That's what I think Jen's been helpful for you, too.
Speaker 3: So helpful, so incredible.
Speaker 2: My manager is absolutely amazing, And that comes back to having the right team around you, like she will openly offer if she objectively is noticing that like there's a bit too much going on, and I say, nah, I can do it, she'll often be like, but can you, like should you ye? And to have someone who isn't like okay, let's just load you up, like who's on you know, on par with this is very energy consuming you okay, And also taking charge of saying no sometimes when I don't even have the energy to craft a nice No. She's amazing at helping just relationship manage and expectation managed with clients. Like when I got six, she was like, not only are we taking the seven days of COVID off, like we probably should take it easy for ten days, you know, and pushing all that out for me so I didn't even have to think about it, like that is invaluable.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, I'm going to cut us off their hair. I don't think we realize that we'd end up chewing your ear off for over an hour and a half during this chat.
Speaker 3: It's been so long since we recorded the last one, so I.
Speaker 1: Thought instead I would split this episode into a two parter and the second apart will drop in the next couple of days, So you still get a full years about lives this week, but just in two parts.
Speaker 3: So stay tuned the next week. We'll drop in a couple of days.