Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA mia podcast.
Speaker 2: MoMA Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to Canceled. The Lazy Girls Guide to Bizarre celebrity cancelations. I'm Claus Stephens and I'm Jesse Stevens. And if you're listening before New Year's quick you have time to finish your New Year's resolution. Kidding, we would never engage in goals such as that we're lazy girls, but we are doing the opposite of lazy this summer. We're giving you Mum Maya's Hot Pod Summer on a hot summer foat. Over the entire holiday period, you'll be able to listen to us here in the Canceled feed as we give you our favorite moments from Canceled this year. And on top of all that, all the podcasts at mum Maya will have brand new episodes dropping about the topics you couldn't stop talking about this year. Today, we need to talk about Jojo Siwa and the time or should they say times she pissed off the Internet. Jojo Sewah was a child star on Dance Mums and she invented those big, ridiculous Jojo bos all the kids were wearing for a time. She also dressed up as a member of Kiss for no apparent reason, and we will get into that. Take a few breaths, like Jojo should have before she watched her solo career, and let's begin. This is a moment from our big episode on the One, the Only, the Icon, the Greatest Jojo Siwah Karma and relatedly, the promotion of Karma. In April this year, Jojo released her debut single as a grown up artist. Come, I was a bad girl.
Speaker 1: I did some bad thos. I swear I did it off for fun and knit and nursing it never have.
Speaker 2: Not only is the song appalling, but the film clip is hypersexual and just very strange. Yeah all right, so let's just ender some vibes. Okay, so cas banch and it's and the dance is severely lacking in tricks. The dance is a series of sharp movements that will do your neck out too much. It's too much. The dance needs to be real back twenty too much. It's not good on the joints. And then it's kind of like there's a jump in there and it's not hot. It doesn't make you look good. It doesn't have any rhythm. It's just bam bam, bam bam bam, which brings us to the aesthetic, which is just kiss the band kiss. But it's a lightning thing on her on her face, and she's wearing kind of black leather as though she vented it. But that's just you just stole it. Promoting the single, she said in an interview with Billboard, I want to start a new genre of music. It's called gay pop. People got really mad. Is she gay? Yes? Are you kidding? Have you seen the film clip that it starts with her humping a girl? Yeah? No, I did say I didn't know. I didn't know. Okay, Okay, something interesting about the film clip is, and people have commented on this, she loves to dance about her sexuality. She loves humping, humping, dry humping. Well, she went to she is, but there's no kissing. Okay, it's like hyper sexualized without like the kind of tiny Well, I mean that's very a dance it is. It is. It's very a dance school because you kind of learn you learn splits, you learn pirouette, and you learn as aforementioned tump in a chair, so you've got three moves in your epertoire and in order to do her film clip, she was like, a hump, I'll do a jump. She does this awful jump with like bent legs. It just doesn't look right. It looks like bad anyway. So there's never been a gay pop ye. People got really upset about her, saying she was inventing a genre called gayo George Michael, George, Michael, Elton John, just so many. Then there was backlash from queer musicians Teagan and Sarah, who did a video being like, I don't think they even said anything, but it was just that audio and then being like you feel serious because they yeah, massive queer pop a while ago. See what said in the later interview, I am not the inventor of gay pop for sure. Not I might not be the president, but I might be the CEO or the CMO. She also then went on a tangent about like what I meant was like, gay pop isn't a genre like blues or wrap, And it's like, yeah, that's because it's you have four hundred people working for you. Why doesn't anyone brief you on like a line on what to say in an interview, what not to say. We rehearse, you know how hard you rehearse those dances because I did not ask my TikTok algorithm to show me. I've seen every free rehearsal of you doing a Karma dance and I must stay. Actually, I remember thinking this, this is an incredible launch, like in terms of the publicity in MS, it's incredible in terms of quantity. Quantity, Yes, the girl goes hard on quantity. She was on call her daddy. The song hasn't done well in terms of things I want to cancel Jojo Force okay, because this is what I was confused about is according to the world, that song of them performing, according to Jojo Si was TikTok, that song best was performing song ever created, which same with my in with everyone's Instagram. Yes, but when that song came out, she said something that sounded like when I wrote Karma, but not those exact words, and then everybody got mad because they were like, you didn't write it. This other artist, brit somebody had already released it. And what happens in pop music is like this brit person never properly released it, so it kind of goes back into the pool, and then Jojo picked it out and she's like, I never said that I wrote it, which her language was careful. Anyway, people got so mad at Jojo for saying she wrote it that the brit version of Karma was higher in the charts than JoJo's version. The internet just trolls her back. Yeah, I just troll her back. She also criticized online culture when she was getting some of the backlash for this, saying I could say I want well peace and everyone would be like, how dare you want peace to the world? It'll blow up In her defense, yes, that is into culture. Yeah, but also you're saying some weird things. You're saying some weird things, Jesse. Here are a couple of my favorite interview clips from her. I'd call it a promotional tour, which let's remember she's not promoting an album, She's promoting a single, okay, And this is what people in the music industry will tell you. Less making music, more promotion. Yeah, and she has heard that message loud and clear.
Speaker 1: No one has made this dramatic of a change yet, no one has made in my generation this extreme of a switch. And I am the first of the generation.
Speaker 2: It is very.
Speaker 1: Scary, but was gonna do it.
Speaker 2: She reminds me of my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration. She has the same, and she has Tom Trumper. I mean it lovingly, which is but it's like audacity, audacity and delusion. Miley Cyrus, for example, is someone who made an incredible transformation. Mana. She didn't say that. No one says that. No one says that. But then she said of my generation, I'm like, oh, you are twenty one, like something else is in her generation. Yeah, I mean, I don't know, but it just it's a weird thing to say, Honey, we need to again twenty five percent less always.
Speaker 1: And I started doing music and honestly, we started off like pretty pretty calm, like nothing like nothing like what's up right now? And then I got pitched this song Karma, and it's the first word is ours a bad girl. And I was like, oh fuck, it's a good song. I was like, but I can't say that. I can't say I'm a bad girl. I'm not. I sang every Girl's a super girl last week, like I can't sing I was a bad girl this week.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work Jesse. That's from her daddy. Yeah, I think I listened to the whole thing on and she was what did she with? The friend of that? With the Remember when we were in high school and you would get doorbeats. Doorbeats were disgusting the way and it's like this is distracting and no one says anything. It's just the whole time. But it's the earnestness. She's like, you know the lyrics were you think that she's gonna say something outrage but she's like, I can't. Wasn't a bad grow It wasn't a bad gros. She's like, I was eighteen, I wasn't a bad girl. But now I'm twenty one and it's like, whoa jojo? What have you done? Your hair down? Taking it at your bones? It very easy to mark. I don't think there's a word in the English language for jojo energy. It's such confidence in yourself. It is. It's a generation that grew up on believe in yourself and that's all you need to do. It's like when they talk about themselves, tears come to their eyes. They are over there come, they're moved by themselves and their own talent. Yeah, and brilliant and success. Yeah, cancel listeners. Can you help us think of a word? Yeah, we need to add a new word to the dictionary that is jojo. And also Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: I am the first of the generation. Nobody can do it like me?
Speaker 2: Nobody? Yes.
Speaker 1: And my podcast, Oh my gosh, I mean, honestly, let's myst think that one of my exes.
Speaker 2: Oh, dream guess on my podcast all of my exes all. Now, I have said that sentence so many times. Dream guess on my podcast one. Why does she sound like two things smoking for fifty years?
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's like Selma from the Simpsons. What are their names? Marge's yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, she sounds like them. He's wearing paint, which is interesting because her instrument is her voice and she doesn't take care of it. The vocal friars out of this world. Yes, one of my axes. All. It's a way that she's so like can you believe her? And it's like you said it. She turns around and she's like, oh, that's okay. She just thinks she's so cool and chilled out and relaxed. Yes, like she's just said something candid. It's like she's writing the headline as she says it. Yeah, like Joel d And it's like, but what you've said isn't even a very unusual thing to say. It's not particularly interesting, and you've added too much energy to it. You know. People say like it's confidence instead of competence, or something like, it's your confidence is masking a lack of substance beneath speaking of confidence, did you know that she got the I makeup that she had at the iHeart Radio Awards that were flight stopid stopid sheerves to free there. It's the same eye makeup and costume that she wears in the film clip for Karma. Anyway, she got that tattooed on her forearm. Oh, you're gonna regret that. Gonna regret that, Jojo. This is why we need to do things in arms. We just need to be a little bit more half hearted with what we put out into the world. Jesse. Here are some of the reactions to Karma. I want you to read them, all right, tell me why. I just watched Jojo Seawa's music video and she was humping the girl so harshly. I have tears. I'm embarrassed in this community that video should have stayed in the drafts. Yeah, correct, Yeah, okay, here we go. The film clip is just I don't think she's very good at cory. Yeah, I reckon that. If Abby Lee teaches her a dance, I think she can pull it up. I don't think she's a choreographer. Okay, I need everyone to know. The label told Jojo sewat no on the budget to create this music video, so she paid for the entire thing herself, co directed it, and co choreographed it. She talks quite emotionally about how she had the concept for this video two years ago, and then you're like, oh my gosh, what is the concept? What's it trying to say? It's you are dressed as cussed on an island neck. Yeah, yeah, throwing your neck out. Get that. JoJo's see video off my timeline. I'm begging. I feel exactly the same because it wasn't just the music video. It was then everywhere Jojo goes, she's like, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it. Everyone's like please straight you can surprised. She's a pride and everyone's like she's doing it. There's one in I think Times Square there's like and I'm just like, Jojo, you're gonna hate yourself because she slams too hard. And I'm like, you're young now, but your ankles can't handle it. Jojo. Me, that wasn't an earthquake. I was learning, Jojo, see why choreography now? That was in response to there was actually an earthquake, and there are a bunch of tweets being like, not an earthquake, not an earthquake, A show an earthquake? That got to Coda Johnson drawing that interview correctly was correct. Question. Finally, Jojo, have you learned nothing? There's a viral moment from Dance Mums where Jojo asks the question and Abby yells at her. This is what she says, don't you.
Speaker 1: Know the order episollas?
Speaker 2: Have you learned nothing? What she say She's like, do you know the order of the solos? Do you know the order of the solos? The order that we're going in for our solo for WANs and she asks someone happy it's just furious. She wasn't yell have you learned nothing? But angry.
Speaker 1: Jojo.
Speaker 2: She's so bad, she's so angry. People say JoJo's face is actually quite cute. Reaction to that, because she's not skeed, she's just confused. She looks like a puppy. It's the kind of scream you would do if your child ran onto a highway and was really like their life was in danger and you just had a second to get them back. Jo She asked the stupid question. She does time. But my point is now the internet is yelling the same thing at Jojo because she's released another song. Oh has she called guilty Pleasure? Why have I not heard this where it's a publicity Well, where's the publicity pleasure? It's not different, it's not different, it's just sid on. What she's done is she's re oriented the Karma dance to face the side, and what it has is a lot of what I'm in a term a stump and clump, which is when we're just stumping really really hard, which is I think what dancers do when they're making up for a lack of excitement in their routine is they just stamp really hard. And I guess if you're Jojo, you're known for your energy. You're known for your energy. But we're lacking flips, bridges, high kit. It's not enough. Jesse here are the reactions. There needs to be like a three year break between each song so we can recover mentally. I think my for you page knew that I needed a Jojo. They go, no, it's okay, we won't. Someone's written in capitals, Jojo, what's this? That's me? I think my pleasure piece just shriveled up and died. True, yeah, sorry. Pleasure Piece is part of the Levy Okay. JoJo's biggest fan is Jojo, and I do agree with that the numbers were taken by that dance, and she's the one who you know, we need to make up of TikTok dance. The idea is that it goes viral and them people do it. I've not seen a single person catch on. The only person I see do JoJo's dance is Jojo. People mocking. Nobody has been like all in earnest learn this dance to look like Jojo, which could be a genius PR strategy. Yeah, because a lot of people have recreated it to laugh at it. To listen to that entire episode, click the link. In our show notes, we talk about her time on dance Mums and when she dressed up as a monkey. We're recanceling three things every week over the summer break, including celebrities, TV shows, celebrity couples, and press tours because we need to keep the investigations running. You can find videos from the podcast and evidence of celebrity crimes on our Instagram at the Twins Underscore Thoughts, or on TikTok At canceled the podcast, Bye Bye,