Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mother Me podcast, Muma Me, your acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters. This podcast is recorded on in sickness and in health. Their words usually reserved for traditional wedding vows. Not the beginning of a relationship in your early twenties, But for Lucian Lars, that was exactly how their story began.
Speaker 2: So he would often come home from work and say that I can't work I'm too sick. I was thinking, oh, I don't know, this is not looking good, and then he started saying, yeah, I just feel really I'm feeling quite nauseous a lot.
Speaker 1: The thing about sickness in your twenties is that you carry an unshakable belief that you'll bounce back. You're young, after all. But what happens when sickness lingers an unsolved mystery that slowly takes over your life, your love and the person you once work.
Speaker 2: You're caring for this adult you know twenty four to seven, you're you're in a care role. It's not partnership. You can't go out together. You can't walk down the street together, you can't go for a meal together. You can't go see a film together. You can't do anything together. You're missing out big time.
Speaker 1: I'm Georgia Love and this is everyone has an eggs. Come with me as we dive into a collection of unconventional stories about relationships passed through the eyes and the hearts of the very people who lived them. Are the nineties a time of suburban freedom, the dawn of the digital age, and truly iconic pop culdjure. But amid all that goodness, it was also the moment Lucy found herself freshly untethered from a less than desirable relationship.
Speaker 2: I was twenty four. I had a daughter from a previous relationship, she would have been about four, and I left it by myself in a little flatgate hill in Brisbane, one of the inner city suburbs there. And I had just come from a relationship or dating somebody that turned out to be paranoid, schizophrenic, and it became quite a dangerous situation and he continued to stalk me. So I was in quite a nervous state at that time.
Speaker 1: Thankfully she wasn't alone. A wonderful group of friends rallied around her, lifting her spirits and finding moments of joy along the way.
Speaker 2: So there was a group of us. We all were a colorful bunch. I guess, a lot of different areas of study going on and different types of work musicians or photographer. Was another friend, a Jewelo, who was my best female friend. I was studying fine art at the time. We all used to go to a club called Babylon and it was kind of under the ground in the Brisbane CBD. And it was a place where lots of alternate sort of groups or people went regularly. And because Brisbane was a small place like that back then, you kind of got to know people over time. But I was at the Babylon one night and I was just with a couple of my friends and I looked across and he must have been sitting under a light, but I noticed this fellow. I don't know what it was. I found his appearance just absolutely striking. He was slightly Viking esquy cord. He had a very strong sort of Norwegian look. But it wasn't necessarily that it was just something about him. It was his behavior, his body language. He appeared to be really jovial when he was having a lot of fun with his friends. And I was just absolutely just so curious about him. I kept going to the same place for a few more months, probably once a fortnight or something, and I kept seeing him there. And then one night I was dancing and he was dancing. He bumped straight into me, and I turned around, thinking, who is that? And you know who just bumped into me? And it was him. And the first thing he said to me was sorry, Bub, are you all right? And I said yeah. I kind of felt a little bit irritated at being called bub. But he was six foot four and just a really large bill, and he had a really kind face and really kind gestures about him, very protective. I felt that immediately. I felt like this person is safe. He felt safe to me, and I think maybe, coming through what I had been through, this seemed like somebody that I could really spend time with. He said, let's not have an accident interfere with a good dance, words to that effect. So we danced and then we sort of left the dance floor.
Speaker 1: Eventually, his name was Lars and he was a regular Babylon too, So the next time Lucy went back, it was no surprise she'd seen there again, but this time, instead of losing each other in the loud pulsing chaos of the dance floor. They slipped away, sneaking out to somewhere quieter to learn a little more about each other.
Speaker 2: We went outside and sat on a bench and he was chainsmoking. He'd left school at fourteen, and he spoke in a way that I guess a lot of people would have described as incredibly rough. Definitely, it became clear too, really quickly that he came from a pretty low socioeconomic kind of background, from a family that really had a lot of struggles, but were also really close. And we talked a little bit about music. It was clear we had very similar interests there, and I just felt endeared to him. I thought, well, this is somebody who comes from a background of adversity and struggle. I started asking him about his family and he said, you know, my dad's been in prison since I was two, and I was like, okay, another thing. I'd never really known anybody before who knew anyone who was incarcerated. So I said, oh, what is since you were two is a long time and he said, oh, well, he's been in and out, but you know, the last time he got put away was quite a long sentence. His mother had quite a few abusive partners between his father and the time we were at He also said that he had had trouble with the police. He was nineteen and I was twenty four, so it was quite an age gap. I just presumed he was older than me. I didn't think he was younger than me at all. He had quite a beard, and I guess maybe his height and everything as well. It just didn't occur to me that he was actually younger than me. Anyway, we went back inside the club, and then might have been a couple of weeks after that we met up again and I ended up saying, do you want to have a sleepover at my place? He said, are you sure? And I said yeah, just they had to catch huge taxi rides back out to Sunny Bank where they were living, and I lived in a city, and I said, well, it's close for you. If you want to stay, you'd be very welcome. I did feel really safe.
Speaker 1: And so the first sleep over Milestone was reached, and for the most part it went off without a hitch. But there was one small thing Lucy couldn't quite ignore, something that felt a little odd.
Speaker 2: We caught a taxi that night together and in the taxi. On the way, he started doing his shoelaces up really tight. I was sort of watching him, and I was thinking, Oh, that's strange. And then we got out of the taxi got to the place where I lived. It was a very old house divided into small flats. So we walked up the hallway and got to my flat door. He was looking around everywhere in this hallway, and he was looking at the big entry door that we'd just come through, and he was just scoping everything out. He was quite on edge. And we got into the flat and he started looking around and he asked me if there were any other doors to the flat and I said, oh, yeah, there's this one here, but it doesn't go to anything. It just has a drop off into a back piece of land there. And he was like, oh yeah, oh yeah. I said, are you okay? You just seem really on edge. He said, oh, we'll see. I kind of thought that for a girl like you to invite me to stay, it could be a trap or a setup. And I was like, oh no, not at all, honestly, and he was like it just seemed too good to be true, really, And I said no, no, it's fine. He said, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, So if I need to get out, I can just go through that door. We came through and I said yes, and you know what, I won't lock it or anything, and he said no, Yeah, that's all right, that's all right. He relaxed after a while and we had a nice night, and then he went home in the morning and asked if he could call me and I said yes. So we exchange phone numbers.
Speaker 1: And then it happened again the next weekend and the one after that. With each passing visit, Lucy felt safe in Lars's company, and from that sense of ease, something deeper began to grow between them. Things were just easy.
Speaker 2: We might watch the odd film, but mostly we just laid in bed and talked. He would talk about what he would love to do with life, like he'd love to live in a city somewhere, he would love to travel. He'd like to see what else there was in the world. Traveling is something I'd done a lot of, and I said I'd love to travel with you one day. He said he'd really love to live in a place where you could grow food, which was something I had a big interest in as well. At that stage, it was clear we just grew up on completely different sides of the track, but we were also very similar in our sort of level of compassion for the people and kindness for one another. It just grew, and it grew really really deep as well. It was an understanding that we had between us that we didn't speak a lot of the time, just a connection like I hadn't known possible before when you meet somebody who comes from such different background and circumstances. He worked at a press metal factory, and I went to stay at his place, and his mother was really amazing. She said, since this fellow has been bothering you where you live, would you like to stay with us for a while. That means you're away from the area you were in. He doesn't know where you are, and you can be here for six weeks or something. And then I took them up on the offer, and I lived there for six weeks. When I was out there at his mother's place, I was studying, so you know, we'd get up in the morning. He would often be gone to his work around six in the morning, but I had my daughter there. Sometimes I'd be getting her ready to go to daycare, and I would often have a class to attend later in the day and we'd just meet up back at his place later on if I didn't have a class in town, I didn't. I stayed there and I helped his mother with things. She was setting up a veggy garden and things like that. He said to me when we were out there that he needed a word that he couldn't find, and I said, well, what to describe? And then he said, to describe love that isn't just love, it's more than love. And then he said to me, is it loath? And I said no, I don't think it's loth And he was saying, well, it's like I just need a word to describe love that is something you want for the rest of your life. And I said I'm not really sure. And he said, well, well, if you find the word, that's how I feel about you. And I said I felt the same. I absolutely did. I loved how kind he was. What I noticed when we were out at his mother this house was that he'd go to work sometimes, which sounded really rough, this workplace, and there were often fights there and things. I was starting to see this picture of this person was always getting into terrifying situations, and he was his anxiety was growing, and I just put it down to these probably frightening experiences. So he would often come home from work and say that I can't work I'm too sick. And I was thinking, oh, this is starting to feel a bit hopeless. As much as I loved him, I felt like this is kind of seeming hopeless. And I said, well, what sort of sick is it? And he said, oh, I just I have to keep leaving work to have a cigarette to calm down. And I was thinking, oh, I don't know, this is not looking good. And then he started saying, yeah, I just feel really I'm feeling quite nauseous a lot. And I was saying, oh, that might be because you're anxiety highness. Yeah, no, no shit, you know, my anxiety is through the roof.
Speaker 1: So they decided to make a change.
Speaker 2: We did make the decision just to move into the city together and try to start the beginning of what that life looked like to us. I would finish my finer degree. He quit his job in the press metal factory and wanted to get a job in the city somewhere. I loved him. I wanted to do anything I could to help him. I had a respect for him as well. It was somebody who had faced all of these struggles and hurdles but had such a desire to make a different life to what he'd had. I loved his warmth and his compassion and his kindness. He was so kind, He was kind to everybody. That speaks a lot to me, the level of compassion that he had for his mother and understand her situation, the way he was very protective of his siblings as well, and just really protective of me. He loved my little daughter. I just loved who he was. Who he was deep down was just so special. But by the time we moved to the city, he was finding it very hard to function normally.
Speaker 1: Something felled off, but Lucy couldn't quite put her finger on what. And around that same time, the people who loved her most had started to quietly and some not so quietly, way in on the relationship too.
Speaker 2: My parents did not like the idea of this at all. I didn't talk to my family about it. I just knew that for who Las was and what his background was, it would not be accepted. My friends were split. I had some friends who were very cynical about him and saying you know, don't you notice that he's unwell quite often these days? And I was saying, well, yeah, I think it has something to do with anxiety, and they were saying, it's clearly he's using substances. He smokes like a chimney, you know, no wonder he's unwell. Very judgmental. Also in saying to me that they were worried for me, is this guy violent? He's a very big fellow. He's really rough in the way he speaks. I just couldn't be bothered trying to convince those people that he was anything than what they wanted to think he was. On the other hand, I had some friends who started to become friends with him and really respected him. It made me sad for him because I thought, if a lot of people are judging people this way, how do people get out of their situation? Because these people have decided this about him. And these people, too, were what you would call open minded people, but they had decided that by the looks of him, because of his behavior. There's obviously stuff going on, the fact that his father was in prison. It just made me think, well, how can anybody get anywhere when they're being judged like that? So harshly, so I cut off from people who were judging him badly. I didn't want to hear from them. I didn't want anything to do with them. Obviously, my friendships with the people who did accept and love Lars became stronger friendships. It sort of divided my friendship group. It was us and these few people around us that did accept and did love him also.
Speaker 1: And then there was also the most unexpected advocate of all, Lucy's ex Robert, the father of her daughter.
Speaker 2: Although we had separated, we cared for one another immensely and we were friends and just had our daughter's best interest at heart. Robert is a mathematical physicist, and he had some unusual interests. I guess I really appreciate the culture about Robert, but I think he actually found Lars just super interesting. And I guess because he is the father of my daughter, he had an extra I guess level of concern we both did for each other, because whoever we partnered with would be exposed to our child. In the beginning too, feeling that he didn't have a concern, whereas I had these other people saying, oh, you know, you don't know where he's come from, and he's this and he's that. But immediately I felt like Robert took to him and appreciated him.
Speaker 1: Of course, there were tensions within the wider friendship group, but Lucy and Lars had their own close circle and the promise of new beginnings on the horizon, even if those beginnings carried their own set of challenges.
Speaker 2: It must have been a nine months we'd been together, and then we got a little house together in West End. He was making attempts to find work but finding it really difficult. He did get a couple of interviews for warehouse jobs, and he tried to go, but started to feel really sick when the time came to go, and I would say, it's just anxiety. I felt really sorry for him, but I did it sometimes start to get impatient. It was very hard to get to the bottom of this anxiety. It was just this thing. I don't get it. He's got everything it takes to be this incredible person, but it's not happening. And I couldn't understand what it was. And it was hard for me to not listen to people who were saying that there might be substances involved. He did go from being a really funny fun person who would go out of his way to help anybody to somebody who just couldn't even help himself. He couldn't even leave his bed, couldn't reach the front door without a panic attack, couldn't check the ladder box. Even though he was super fun and funny, there were these other things, quickly checking the room to see where the exits were and making sure your shoes were on tight in case you had to run things that back then seemed to me there's a little bit of paranoia about him. It's a strange mix, because when he wasn't showing signs of a little bit of paranoia, he was super good, fun and funny. We'd wake up in the morning on a regular day and I might have a class to go to, or I have my daughter to get to day care. So my days were very there was pattern, but you know, I was coming and going at different times, and so I might go to UNI and then come home at around two o'clock and he would just be sitting in the living room looking like he really hadn't done much at all. I was starting to get frustrated, and I just couldn't understand it. Was trying. For a while, I would say, well, let's let's go somewhere, let's go for a walk, let's go down and have a coffee. And he would say, yep, yep, that sounds good, that sounds good, and he'd sort of put his shoes on and then say, oh, you know, don't sort of feel like it right now. And I was like, why, you know, I'm just feeling really anxious at the moment, and I just I would love to go with you, but I you know, sometimes he would just get so frustrated and upset with himself and he'd say, I don't care, I'm going to do it. I'm going to do it. I'm just going to do it.
Speaker 1: But the reality was he couldn't, and that frustrating cycle soon became the norm. Determined to finances, Lucy started to take matters into her own hands and sort out the expertise of a professional to unravel the health related mystery.
Speaker 2: We got an appointment in a clinic, so we went to that clinic once a week for about eight or twelve weeks, I think it was. He had a really lovely counselor there, and she said that I believe that you're agoraphobic and you have a panic disorder. So what you're experiencing when you want to go to a job interview is a panic attack, and what you're experiencing when you're struggling to get out the front door is what we call agrophobia, is the fear of the outdoors and open spaces. That made a lot of sense to him. It was like, oh, wow, Wow, we finally have some sort of diagnosis to work with. Now we can actually we can do this. Part of getting him into the program at the hospital was that they gave him certain exercises to do where he would sort of learn to become more desensitized to the feelings of their anxiety and the fear and going outdoors. So he would say, yeah, I'm going to do this. I'm going to do this, and so we'd oh, okay, So we would get our stuff together, put our shoes on, go to the front door, walk out, go down the street, and he'd sort of have to stop, sit down wherever he was. He would say, I think I'm going to pass out, and I oh, no, I just want to have a cigarette, and it just seemed hopeless. It was just hopeless. And then he would say, yet, Na, I'm sorry I'm just going to have to go back home, but you go ahead, and I couldn't go ahead. It was so upsetting, it was so distressing. No matter how long we went to the program at the hospital, no matter how many of the exercises he did or tried to do, it just wasn't getting any better. And in fact, it just seemed to be getting worse.
Speaker 1: And they continued to get worse. A year later, still no signs of recovery.
Speaker 2: He was becoming really incapacitated. He was starting to get to the point where he couldn't go and get food for himself during the day. I couldn't just leave him like that. I did have the friends that we were closed to would go around and check on him sometimes. One day, after about a year and a half or so, it was a really really hot Brisbane day, and a friend said to me, I'm really worried about him. I've just been over there to check on him. He's sitting inside with all the doors and windows closed. He wouldn't answer the door when this friend was knocking, but when Lars realized who it was, he did answer the door. My friend said he was sweating a lot and he had really bad anxiety, but let him in and he just sort of said to him, I'm right, No need to worry about me. No, I'm fine, I'm just yet. It is hot, isn't it. And then he sort of opened a window or two, and my friend went on their way. He was just sort of going past. Lars also had a best friend called Eric. They were really great friends and they met through the same club and Eric started to be more involved at this stage in Lars's life, which was lovely, and could see there was something going on, and there was this agrophobia and panic disorder, and could see that he was becoming incapacitated and needed help with some things just in terms of getting food or he couldn't go anywhere. If he could go anywhere, he could never have gone by himself. He had to have someone with him. Around the two year mark, we had a ring and he put it on my finger and he said, I still don't have the love for the rest of my life word for you, but if you were this, that's the best I can do. I felt certain I would marry him when he got when he got through this, I felt certain we would travel together. It was just how can we find the right help. We're doing everything, but we can't get the right help. At the same time, I had a couple of people saying to me, this is ridiculous. These are the people that weren't in my closer circle, but sort of saying to me, you're a part time single mum and you're caring for this adult. You know, twenty four to seven. You're in a care a role. It's not a partnership. You can't go out together. You can't walk down the street together. You can't go for a meal together, you can't go see a film together, you can't do anything together. You're missing out big time. You know other people your age are out there having a lovely time. And I did stop feeling like it's missing out. None of the help he was getting was helping. It was just getting worse and worse. There were times I'd come home and he hadn't even left the bed. He was still in bed and nothing had changed, he hadn't eaten. It just seemed hopeless. So I made a really difficult decision and said, I can't do this anymore and I'm not helping, like that's clear no matter what I'm doing. I became scared, what if I'm enabling this. What if by me taking care of him all the time and trying to help all the time, is actually just keeping him stuck. What if this means that he can't get better because I'm doing the wrong thing. His friend Eric was really in the picture a lot then. I really liked Eric a lot. We stayed very good friends. But he was moving into a house nearby and said to Lars, would you like to move into this house? And Lars took him up on it. So I stayed in the house that I had lived with Lars. And it was really hard. Oh, such a difficult time. I still wanted to be with him. I worried about him all the time, but I knew I had to try to see if by me not being around would help.
Speaker 1: It was a decision Lucy had to make, and one that Lars understood and supported.
Speaker 2: He was so sad, but he said, this is good for you. You need to do this, Bob. He always got me bump. I want to see you go out with your friends. It's awful seeing you not living a full life because you're looking after me. I want to see you travel. Now. I'm starting to think it's never going to get better for me. But you can and you should. You know, that was just typical Lars. He just one of the best for other people. We kept seeing each other on a friendship basis. I did start getting out more. I couldn't say I was enjoying myself at all. In fact, I was making some really weird choices and decisions at that point. Like I went on a few dates with a couple of people, and I just I would just be there thinking, I hate this, I'm not you know where I want to be. I'm just going to have to ride this out, you know, and see if he gets better without me. And we saw each other as friends. We were in walking distance from each other, so I could walk over there whenever I wanted. I started painting a lot, so studying painting. Even though I had the opportunity to be going out more and doing more, I just tended to throw myself into my painting a lot and spend a lot of time on my own at home, and then I'd walk over and visit. After about three months of him moving out, I was going over there a lot to visit. It was clear that he wasn't getting any better, and that he was getting worse Eric, his friend called me and I went over there to their place and Lars was just really ill. He was in pain, he had a really bad headache, he'd been sick. He couldn't hold any water down, he was getting dehydrated, and so we took him to the Royal Brisbane Hospital. They took ages. We had to wait for so long. Eventually they took him in and they said we're going to run some tests and he can be here overnight and we'll keep we'll observe him. They did that, and then I was at home again and I got a call from Lars at about six in the morning saying, yeah, you know what, they want me out of here. And I said why, what's going on? And he said they just told me they need the bed and I've got to go. And I said, well, what have they done for you and he said nothing. They just ran some tests and I said what tests and he said, I don't know, blood test your own sample. And I said, well, what are they going to do to help you and he said nothing. They just said, you know, you need to go home. They gave him a follow up appointment about three days after this, so his mother came and we went together and took him to the hospital. I mean, he was a huge fellow as she was on one side under one arm and I was the other, and we walked him into the waiting room. I was asking, please, can we have someone to see him sooner? He's really unwell. So he was laying on the concrete floor at that point with my bag under his head for a pillow. He couldn't sit up at all. Then the specialist called him in. His mum and I had to help him up. We took him into the specialist appointment, and she looked like she just could not be fucked with us. She said to him, right last, your tests have all come back negative. There's nothing wrong with you. And I was saying, how can you say there's nothing wrong with him? How can you say there's nothing wrong this? Obviously? She said, no, we can't find anything, and you just really need to go home and get your lifestyle sorted. There was an assumption that he had a less than ideal lifestyle. I don't know what that meant. At the time, I was thinking, is she suggesting substance abuse? Is she suggesting that we just don't know how to look after ourselves. I couldn't. I said, well, I come not going anywhere, and I want a psychiatric evaluation. Then if you're saying there's nothing physically wrong with him, then I want a psychiatric evaluation, and I won't leave until we get one. It became a bit of a standoff. She said, I'm not getting you a psychiatric evaluation. I'm not wasting their time with this. And she said, look, my advice to you is if you're saying you can't see properly and you can't stand up properly, go home and have a proper meal. You're probably hyperglyss semic. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. And then she said, when I say a proper meal, I don't mean beer and chips. And then we left. It was an awful way to be treated. And I think the thing for Lars was he kept being told that this is all in your head. This is all because you're not living properly. This is all in your head. I said to her when we were leaving. He can't hold down water, he's not eating peer and chips, he can't even hold water. And she just didn't want a bar of us.
Speaker 1: No one could seem to figure out what was going on with Lars. The hospital visits brought no answers, and nothing they tried seemed to help. Through it all, Lucy did her best to hold everything together, clinging to some sense of normality amid the uncertainty.
Speaker 2: I had a birthday dinner at my place and Robert was invited with the few other close friends that really were very supportive of my relationship with Lars. And I invited Lars and he said, I don't think I'm going to be able to come, because it just physically I can't. Robert went and made sure that he picked him up and coaxed him out the door and brought him to the birthday dinner, which was amazing. But when he arrived at my birthday dinner, I could see he was just so unwell, but doing everything he could to just be there and just sit there. And I was in the kitchen and Robert came in and he said, you know, on the way here, Lars dropped something on the car floor. And he said, I noticed that when he tried to lean forward to pick it up, he was trying to pick up this thing in several different places, and it was really odd. He just couldn't seem to see where this coin was that he dropped on the floor. And I said to Lars later that night, you're in a really bad way, and you said, yes. See. The funny thing is is I can see several of you right now. And I said, oh, okay, and then I was looking at him and I could see that one of his eyes wasn't pointing in the same direction as the other eye. I said, okay, I'm going to come to your place now with you, and I'm going to stay there until we can get some help. It was really desperate. Day after my birthday was the Saturday morning. I called the optometrist in town and I said, please, can you see my We were saying friend then, because we had supposed to have separated. Can you see my friend. He's got one eye going the wrong way and he said, yeah, bring him in. I took him in, and this fellow was really kind and said, I want you to go straight to the Princess Alexandra emergency rooms. I'm going to call ahead and let them know you're coming. And so we got to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in the waiting room, but then they kind of came and said, Las, come through this way, and they said to me, you're best to go home for a little while. Lars will call you when we're done with We're going to run some tests. And I thought to myself, I bet not do a CT scan, which is what I felt should have happened before this, but they wouldn't give him one. Then I got a call, not from Lars, but from the technician thing, can you come in when we need to speak to you. So I went in and waited and they called my name. I went in and the technician said I'm going to leave you and Lars to talk, and he walked out of the room and Lars just sort of propped himself up a little bit on the bed and he said, to me, they're saying I've got a brain tumor. They said, you know, it's okay. We're going to take care of you. We'll get you through this and it'll be okay. And medicine is so good now, it's so good. And there's also alternate therapies. I'd heard there's alternate therapies. You know, we'll do everything, and I need to protect him. Just no, this can't be happening. This can't be true the realization two of my love. At that point, it had never gone anywhere, had been there the whole time. Even though we tried to see if me not being around would help them, none of my feelings had diminished grown stronger.
Speaker 1: Doctors performed a brain biopsy and began chemotherapy. Eric and Lucy were by his side constantly at the hospital. The diagnosis was devastating, a nine by nine centimeter glia blastoma multiform tumor. It was inoperable. The cancer has bided into surrounding areas of the brain, and attempting surgery would have destroyed the little healthy tissue Lars had left.
Speaker 2: A different doctor came in and asked if he could speak to Lars's mother and I. We went into his room and I said, what is going to happen? And he said, well, this could kill him, and as what do we tell him? He doesn't really know, and he said, I don't think you tell him anything. He's twenty one turning twenty two year old young man. You know, if he survives for a while, why destroy the time that he has has left. I couldn't quite get my head around whether he should be told or not, so his mother and I went back in to sit with him. The same doctor familiar on just came over to us and said, I'm just going to show you a chart here, Lars. This shows the number of people with your type of brain tumor that survived to five years of having the timber from start to go, and it was about two percent that survived five years. And so, in one way, Lars was he said to me, In one way, I'm relieved it wasn't all in my head like people had me believing. It actually is something that's caused this. We did look into alternative therapies. There were books that said, if you follow every step in this book, no matter you're cancer, no matter the stage, you can recover. But you can't it's impossible to follow all the steps in the book. Robert had looked into a clinic in South America with alternate sort of therapies and was ready to get our airfares together for that. Just said we might as well try everything. I just stayed with him. Then. It might have been about three weeks he was at home, and it is true that the release of pressure in the brain, he could actually get out of bed, he could go to the front door, we walked down the street, we went to a movie, we went and did things that we could never do before. And he was saying, isn't this just amazing? Isn't this amazing?
Speaker 1: Look at me?
Speaker 2: Look at me? And I was saying, I know. And he was saying, what if we can beat this? What if we can beat this? Look see, without the pressure in my brain, I can do anything. And I was saying, yeah, no, it's incredible. And we actually did have hope. So it might have been about three weeks after the biopsy on the brain, we went to the GP just to get the stitches out and to be checked on. He'd been put on some fairly strong medications. Las had a sort of said to the GP, you see, there's this one thing I'm worried about. One of these medicines i'm on says one of the side effects is that your gums start growing down over your teeth. And he said, I'm just I'm a little bit worried about that. That doesn't sound too good. And the GP said to him, oh, don't worry. That takes about six months before that starts happening. And Lars said to him, oh, well, how long am I going to be taking it for and the GP said, well for the rest of your life. Lars looked at me again. His eyes were huge and frightened, and it was dawning on him. Then. Oh. We hadn't explicitly said to him, doesn't look like you will survive, but we were beginning to get the idea. It was strained because we still didn't really know. Nobody had really explicitly sat us down and said, look, he's not long for the world. We went home that day and I was sitting on his bed and he was looking at me, and she used to hold my face in his hands, and he was sitting up. He said, he was just looking in my eyes, and he said, you know that you are the best friend I've ever had in my life. And I said, you're You're my best friend too. He said, I mean that with everything in my heart. I love you more than anything. I said, thank you, I love you too the same. I just laid on the bed with him and he helped me for ages. I think he was much braver than I was. His mother came over later that day and we'd cooked dinner. We tried to give him dinner, but he was starting to say that day that I'm actually starting to feel quite a bit of pain again. He started going down here really quickly that day and he was saying, oh, I've got a splitting headache. And I was saying, okay, okay, you just need rest. You know, we've probably been doing a lot in the last three weeks while he's been able to enjoy life a little bit. And then his mother and I were sitting in the living room and we heard a terrible noise. We could hear his bed shaking around a lot, and his mother immediately jumped up and said, he's having a seizure. We ran in and then we called the GP that we had seen and he said, I'll come straight up. It was sort of seven at night or something. He said, I'll come straight up, and he was in the bedroom with myself and Lahs and he said, just just be with him. I'm going to give him an injection. I'm going to give him a good dose of morphine. And I said okay, And then he just looked at me and he said, have they told you what to expect? And I said no, I'm not really sure what you mean. And he said, all right, well, I'm just going to give him this big dose now, a really good dose. It means he'll be comfortable. And I said okay, and he did that, and then he said if anything changes, call an ambulance. Immediately. Lars went to sleep, and then he started vomiting and his mother said call an ambulance. So we did, and the ambulance came. They sat in the front with the ambulance driver while the other paramedic was in the back trying to work on him. And when we got to the hospital, they told me to wait in the waiting area. His mother joined me in the waiting area. Then they called us into a little room and a doctor met us and she sat us down, and it was strange. She said, you know, we're sorting him out, but we think he's probably dying now. It was just the most surreal thing. I kept saying, can I see him? Please? Can we go? And they said, no, you don't see him at the moment. He's got a lot of tubes going in and out at the moment. But you know, when we get him sort of cleaned up a bit and sorted, you'll be able to be with him. So they eventually said we can take him upstairs to a room. I was quite amazed. We went upstairs. They had him in a room. They had a little sort of warm lamp on in the corner rather than the big hospital lights, and they also had an in a room one of his own as well, which was I was amazed that the nurses did that for us, and I immediately laid on the bed with him with my head on his chest, and his mum put his arm over me. I started feeling like he wasn't in there. Eventually I felt his hand going really cold, his hand on me and his arm was going really cold. I kept during the night, I was having breaks and getting up and walking around and going back and laying with him, and I noticed his hand going blue, and I noticed various other parts of him changing color. I knew he was around me then, and he wasn't in his body anymore. Heartpit grew really really strong, and then it just stopped. It was very hard to leave. It was really hard to walk away.
Speaker 1: Lars was just twenty two years old when he passed away, a mere three and a half weeks after his diagnosis. And then in the quiet that followed, strange and inexplicable things began to happen. Moments that made Lucy feel as though Lars hadn't completely left her side just yet.
Speaker 2: We had some stranger electrical disturbances at home. I moved into his room and I lived with Eric, his best friend, and we were just so close for the next six months. We really got each other through. Lars used to crack his knuckles several times. I woke up in those first few days and I could hear us cracking his knuckles, and I thought, that can't be happening. And I dreamt about him a lot. I would have dreams where I might be in the city somewhere and I would hear as voice and I'd turn and I'd see him in a crowd, and you'd be saying, quick, quick, I don't have long. Quick. I would run over to him and he would just sort of fold me into his chest and he would say, it's all right, Bob, it's all right. I'm here, and it's all right. You could go back now. I don't have long have to go, but it's all right. That would be the end of the dream. Used to waking up from them. I belong to the skeptic society. I don't believe in anything supernatural. I have no faith religion. But about maybe eight months after Lars died, a friend of mine who was also a friend of Las, said to me, Lucy girl, there's this amazing Cleavoyan. You've got to come and see hi. My Winnesstor and the other day. You've got to come and see him. And I'm like, oh, I don't do you don't do that stuff. Come on, come on and then we can have a coffee and we'll have lunch afterwards. He's like my best gay boyfriend. And I said, oh, all right. I went and this fellow was in a dark room, all the incense and everything else that I don't have a very good attitude about sometimes. But I sat down and he said, he said there is someone around. There's a boy and I said, oh yeah. And he said it's a man and I said yeah. And he said, or he's indicating that he won't leave until you're ready for him to leave. But he does have to leave, but he can't do it until you let him go. He's not going to go until you're ready, saying this to me, and I said okay, and then he said then he just said to me, this man is someone you cared about or cared for did you have to care for him? And I said, I did have to care for someone recently, and he said, well, it will come back to you in a different way. It will come back to you in the way it should be. And who you care for in the future is the correct relationship of carer forth somebody. It's funny to me because at the age of forty five, completely accidentally, I had a son and I look at him and his big blue eyes. He comes from a long line of brown eyed people. But I do look at him and his big blue eyes, and I feel like I see Las just a little bit sometimes.
Speaker 1: But beneath it all, the grief was overwhelming at times, heavy and all consuming, and the road to emotional recovery was long and anything but simple.
Speaker 2: It was so painful. I didn't know that emotional grief could cause so much physical pain. Just the pain in my chest, in my heart. It was just so intolerable. Sometimes became quite unwell. But I painted a lot. I got really into my painting, and when I painted, I felt like he was with me. That you know, if I could say there was a time when he was me, it was when I was painting. I also eventually did quite a bit of traveling, and I often felt like he was with me then as well. I felt like I would hear him in my mind say, look at that, Look at where you are, feeling like he was very happy for me as well at those times, feeling like he was loving for me to recover. I feel like seven years after I felt like I reached a good turning point. I think I probably remained vulnerable for quite some time even after that seven years, but I think the last few years have been some of the best years of my life, and I don't think I would have as wonderful a life if that had never happened. I am so pleased that I met him, that I knew him, that I was there with him at the end. I mean, it'd be great if he didn't have a brain tumor, but he didn't, and it's nothing that can be done about that. Nobody knows what causes them. It's just an indiscriminate thing. And I'm just very grateful that I was there even as he changed from being who he was or what he appeared to be when I first met him, to what he became towards the end. My love was unwavering. It never it never changed, It just grew and grew around him. The biggest takeaway for me was that sometimes the worst thing that can happen to you can also be the very best thing that happened to you. It sounds strange, it's a juxtaposition, but yeah, life is awful, and life is very beautiful. It's very fragile, and it's very strong. Definitely better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. And also that you can get through. When I listen to other stories and are you here, that people are in the depths of despair, but they do, they do get through. I remember the funeral director saying to me the day we buried Lars, I know what you're going through right now. I had a similar experience. And you feel like this can never ever get better. But it does. I promise you it does. And I was a bit irritated. I thought, you just don't know. You don't know how I love him. I can't. But it did. It does get better eventually. I still think of him every day, so many, I mean decades now. I'm really glad I have that. I used to be terrified of my own mortality, but I'm not so much anymore. It's okay, it's okay. Everyone does it, and it just yeah, I'd like to be here for as long as I can, but it's all right. And if there's nothing after this, I'm fine with that too. The most important thing for me going forward is that my children will be okay. And also the way I know Lars lives fond in me. I hear him laugh all the time at certain situations, and I know he would find that's so funny. He had a great sense of humor. He was very witty, very quick, and yeah, I just I love that he's living through me in that way. And I'll even say to my son sometimes, oh, Lars would have laughed so much, or I'll tell him stories that Lars told me that are really funny, you know, and it's like, that's how we live on.
Speaker 1: Everyone has an ex It's a Minti Media production and proudly part of the Mum and mea Network. This interview was conducted and episode narrated by me Georgia Love and written and produced by Linda Scott. If you have a story you'd like to share, email podcast at momamea dot com dot You. You can support us by following the show in your favorite podcast app and leaving a five star review. We'll see you for the next episode.