Speaker 1: You're listening to a mother Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mere acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded.
Speaker 1: On What do you want?
Speaker 2: No, really, not for lunch or those sushi would be nice, not for your birthday, or to buy with that tax return or to add to cart. Tonight, Mid Doom scroll No, if you stopped.
Speaker 1: Like now.
Speaker 2: And set somewhere quiet for a moment and let yourself really think about that question, what do you want? What words would come? Our guest today on mid thinks that doing that, claiming the time to stop and truly ask yourself that question is one of the most radical things a woman in the middle of her life can do, because it's likely, by this point, somewhere roughly in the middle, that you've been spending a lot of time lately making sure that other people get they want partners, parents, bosses, children, cats, so much so that the question itself seems indulgent, selfish. But maybe if you can stand to sit with it, a word or two will come. Freedom is one of my big ones. Peace might come up more.
Speaker 1: You might say, we'll allow it.
Speaker 2: Yours might be Love, might be security, might be family, maybe purpose, And from there if you started to build out a life anchored to that word, what would it be? What difference would it make to the very next thing you do and the next I know all this sounds a bit like an inspirational quote on a tea towel or something you saw in cursive fon over a picture of a sunset on Instagram in twenty fifteen. But the truth is mits if we don't ask this question, no one else is going to. And it's the best possible time to ask it, better even than when we were finishing school or studies, or we were in our first jobs, or we were in our first relationships, because you might actually be in with a chance of getting it. The world underestimates midwomen. We're no longer of interest to a system that values women's youth and beauty above all else we can feel discarded and unseen. That sounds shit, and it is, but it comes with a surprising upside. It's that if nobody cares what you want now, really, then we, using our invisibility superpowers and our hard won smarts, are in the perfect position to take it. It's amazing what you can do when no one's looking. It's most likely, though, that if we ask ourselves this question at all, it's from a moment of crash, of devastation, of redundancy, of divorce, a health crisis, a burnout episode, an upending grief. For me, it was a breakdown, a brain rattling, overwhelmed that my guest today would call a midlife collision. And it felt like that shattering. But from the debris we are rebuilders. So what is it that you really really want? Zigaziga? Hello, Hello, I am Holly Wainwright, and I am mid midlife, mid family, mid midlife collision. Eleanor Mills didn't know she was about to get fired. She had a very fancy, high status, deeply demanding job that she had built her life and identity around for decades, and then one day she was asked to come up and have a chat with her boss, that old thing, and it was over.
Speaker 1: She was fifty.
Speaker 2: It was a moment of devastation for Eleanor, one that called for a significant rebuild after the prerequisite period of rocking in a corner. Obviously, and you won't be surprised to hear this, being middle and everything, that what Eleanor did next was completely transformative. But before you think that this is just a story about super successful ad types tweaking their dreams. I want to assure you this is actually an extraordinary story about a very ordinary thing, what you do when everything you thought you wanted is taken away and you have to figure out what the hell you really want. Now, let's call it the mid life rebuild. Eleanor's story takes in magic, mushroom trips in Jamaica, the epiphany that busy is an addiction, freezing cold daily swims, and the decision to hang her second act from the understanding that midwomen are one of the world's great untapped resources. You can find out more about that and Eleanor's community of queen ages by clicking on the links in our show notes. But please take a deep breath, pop this conversation under your tongue and enjoy the trip. Eleanor, you are a bit of a mid icon for me. You've had an amazing career in magazines, London journalism, that sort of mixture of glamorous and hard slog that is media. And then, as you write in your book Much More to Come, you changed direction at fifty. You were made redundant and you reinvented yourself before we get into the meat of this conversation. I know there are lots of women who are listening to this of a similar age to us, who are at a career crossroads, either one that they chose or one that was chosen for them, and are worried that they are too old for the thing they've always wanted to do. So tell me a bit about that moment of everything shifting for you.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the first thing that's really crucial to say, and hello everybody from London, is that you're never too old and it's never too late to become the woman that you always wanted to be. And in fact, I would say that it's a kind of fifty plus that we really get an opportunity to start digging it into what that might be. And certainly in my own experience, I had been a journalist very kind of high up poncho on the Sunday Times for twenty five years and I was suddenly made redundant out of the blue.
Speaker 1: It was a massive shock.
Speaker 3: I'd kind of gone up there with all my files and my or my forward planning for the next few months to talk to the new editor, and I walked into the.
Speaker 1: Room, and I suddenly realized it was.
Speaker 3: That meeting tissues on the table, and it was the head of HR and the editor and they started talking about you know, and it's just one of those really surreal things, a bit like being in a car crashed, or when you are talking to someone and you realize they're trying to break up with you, or you know, with something really massive shifts in your life, or if you get a terrible diagnosis.
Speaker 1: It was a bit like that.
Speaker 3: It was really weird. Everything just stopped. I wrote about it in my book that I could hear these voices talking and all I could see was the tugboat chugging very slowly up the Thames, and these birds, kind of pigeons flying around the kind of roof of the cathedral in the middle of London. And it's a very weird thing that you suddenly feel like you're not there in your own life, and everything that I thought I was and everything that I thought my life was suddenly stopped. I was forty nine, it was just before the pandemic, and I really had that feeling of having been pushed off a roof, having no idea what I was going to do next. I'd always been the main breadwinner, so I was terrified about kind of money and my life.
Speaker 1: In that way. And I also realized that this.
Speaker 3: Incredible wave that i'd caught, this kind of journalistic wave that i'd caught as an early woman in my early twenties, the kind of twenty five years on, had come to an end, and I've been spat off it and it was like, Wow, what am I going to do next?
Speaker 2: For our Australian listeners. The Sunday Times is a very prestigious newspaper, so this is a very impressive job that I'm sure was very much part of your identity. You'd been there for such a long time. You right in your book about how not that long before that happened to you, you'd gone on a trip with a friend for a story where you did a guided psilocybin trip, a mushroom trip, and you had a vision during that for what was going to be your next stage, but at the time you didn't know that. So tell me a bit about that, the idea of Noon coming to you then, and how you didn't just go, oh, sort of dismiss it as like I was off my face, or you know, did you know immediately after the redundancy that, oh, the time for that idea has come.
Speaker 1: I think I did. I think it was very weird.
Speaker 3: I mean, life unfolds in strange ways, doesn't it. So just to rewinder it, I'm not really a kind of psychedelic psychedelic ninja.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: I went to Jamaica to take a whole load of magic mushrooms with one of my colleagues at the Sunday Time is an incredible journalist called Decker Achenhead. If any of you want to know more about it, that she actually won the BBC's Best Article of the Year for the journalistic article that she wrote about our mushroom trip. And we went to Jamaica, where it's legal to take psilocybin magic mushrooms, and we did three heroic doses in a week. So this isn't microdosing. This is like the fault.
Speaker 2: I was feeling a bit wobbly when I read those paraclops.
Speaker 1: When I read that chapter. She went because she had really bad PTSD.
Speaker 3: Her husband had died in front of us about ten years before, and she just felt like she couldn't really feel anything. And I went with her, partly because she's my great mate. I was her editor, and I thought I had a guty of care, but I was also something very deep in me was called to go to Jamaica and take the magic mushrooms.
Speaker 1: And it's one of those things.
Speaker 3: I'm sure people listening to this will have had times where somebody suggested that you do something and it's quite out of character or not something that you would normally do, but something very deep within you just goes yes this now. And I just had this really overwhelming sense that I was supposed to go to Jamaica with her a hard life, you'd say, and go to the Caribbean and take a shedload of magic mushroom. But actually it was actually quite scary because I don't I've never really taken psychedelics. When I was younger, I'd read the Michael Poland book How to Change Your Mind, so I was interested in the science of the psychedelics and what they can dead your mind. I've always been quite interested in Timothy Leary and all of that kind of phase of psychedelic experimentation. But to actually go and do it was quite something. And I did have this incredible experience while I was there.
Speaker 1: Of just everything kind of melting.
Speaker 3: They call it ego dissolution, and it was basically as if I had dissolved into a vat of kind of yellow cream. This would be the best way to describe it. I was just flooded with the sense of kind of golden light and connection to all things, and also just suddenly everything being possible, and I almost had the sense.
Speaker 1: That I was moving into a new phase.
Speaker 3: And that I was being shown kind of shown something new, which was the power of connection and also the power of a massive shift and a change in how we thought about everything. At this point of kind of being in my being in my fiftieth year, I was there actually when I turned forty nine. It was the kind of a few months before I left the Sunday Times. So when this terrible thing happened and I was made redundant very suddenly, it's like I had this golden thread to hang on to that I'd been shown something else. And I think also a lot of us, when we've been doing something for a very long time, get quite stale, and so I don't think I would have had the courage to jump out of my big job, my big black cloak, this very massive, powerful role that had defined me for a very long time. But I also did know that I was stale and that maybe I needed to do something else in another part of my mind, so I had this very exciting sense of a new golden opening kind of coming for me really, and that I could really positively change the people kind of around me through I just said, don't know, through some kind of shift or through bringing people together, and that this is all what I really wanted to do. And then of course I went back and did my kind of normal journalistic life and then I was suddenly made redundant. But in the back of my mind was always this sense of what I've been shown in Jamaica, was this really strong sense of a kind of golden connection and a.
Speaker 1: Possibility of moving into a new act.
Speaker 3: It was really really powerful, and I felt that I'd been shown that somehow as a guiding.
Speaker 1: Light through what was to come.
Speaker 2: Do you think I've heard you say that you know this is at this sort of transitional point, particularly if for transition that was already happening, then was kind of given a shove for you that this is a really important time for women of our age to go what is it that I really want? And you. Yes, it sounds like in your story the part of your job that you particularly loved helping people building connection, you know, perhaps building community. I don't want to speak for you, but when you were asking yourself that question, those things were clear. Do you have any wisdom about how people can answer that question for themselves though, if they are feeling, as you say, stale and like I've always done this, or I have to always do this, or I've got the responsibility of earning the money or having the job that allows my partner to go out and do his job, or whatever it might be. How do you think you can tap into that question of what do I really want?
Speaker 3: I think a lot of women don't even allow themselves to ask it. I remember going to see a ratherwise teacher and she said, no, she said to me, really is a good exercise for your ladies queen ages as I call them queen agers. I would suggest line a bath or wherever it is that you feel kind of happy and relaxed, maybe on your sofa or on your sundown jeting with it in summer in Australia, ild it and really ask yourself what it is. If you kind of really tune into kind of into your heart and ask yourself, really, what is it that you truly want?
Speaker 1: And it's very funny when you try and do that As a woman. I found when I was.
Speaker 3: Laid there trying to think about what I really wanted, my brain cut in. Before I'd even been able to articulate what it was that I might actually truly want. My my brain had kind of cut in to go, that's ridiculous. Shut up, don't be you know, don't be don't be proposed.
Speaker 2: Be selfish, greedy, Yeah, don't be really, don't don't be unrealistic.
Speaker 3: And I think that women are very good at not allowing themselves to dream big or to even tap into what that desire might be or might kind of even look like in their wildest dreams. And I think you're never going to get to that place of kind of not just success in a kind of world achievement sense, but more kind of fulfillment be on your wildest dreams if you won't even allow yourself to contemplate what that might be. So I think the first thing is that really kind of sinking deep into yourself and really asking yourself and being prepared to listen to the answer of what it is that you really want. And I think that we're so conditioned to think about what everybody else wants or what everybody else wants from us, that we don't even begin to allow ourselves to articulate what that precious special thing might be that we might do with our one, wild and precious life and ask ourselves that question.
Speaker 1: It's quite a scary one.
Speaker 3: So I write in my book about I think what I talk about is the capacity to.
Speaker 1: Shape shift at this point in life.
Speaker 3: And I think that for a lot of women, there are so many expectations, particularly of our age, about what we were supposed to do or what kind of good look like, that we've never actually allowed ourselves to kind of form our own organic shape. So like if you were kind of pouring some kind of wax or something into a mold and you were going to let it, let it completely settle into what it wanted to become, you know, essence of essence of you, kind of essence of holy essence of Eleanor. And I think men are much more allowed to kind of flow into whatever that's allowed to be, whereas women are kind of flow into a preordained shape, the shape that's useful for everybody around them, that fits society that I think for they're certainly from that bit from kind of.
Speaker 1: Twenty five to fifty.
Speaker 3: Women are often ticking the boxes that other people have given them, all the things that we were supposed to do, you know, be a good wife, a good mother, a good a good daughter, a good employee. You know, we're trying to be kind of good and fit into all the things that society is telling us we're supposed to do. And I don't think we're ever really encouraged to ask ourselves what is it that we really want? You know, what I want what really matters. And I had this very long journal career, which you know, which I really loved in lots of ways. But I also think that what kept me going from a very long time was a really huge parental expectation of achievement. That what had set me up kind of from my family constellation was this sense that achievement was all that was kind of valued or mattered, and so that that was kind of what I became. Whereas I think if I really truly asked myself what I would have become, I probably would have been called to this kind of work of community, building of thought, leadership, of kind of setting off in a slightly more radical direction earlier on in life. That it's taken me really till I was fifty to have the confidence to really walk my own path rather than a path that had been laid down for me.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be back with more from Eleanor Mills right after this quick break. You have built a community called Noon of your ages, as you call them, which is us wonderful women in midlife. I've heard you say too, to follow on from what we were just talking about, that you feel like this age and reclaiming it is almost the last frontier of feminism because the patriarchy kind of has no use for us anymore in a way, and so we're free to draw our own maps, is how I've heard you describe it. What do those maps look like?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, okay, So I would say that patriarchy, which is basically the and that this is not to kind of slag off kind of all individual men, many of whom are lovely, but patriarchy is the system which has definitely kind of groomed us, if you like, kind of programmed us to women to behave in certain ways and We've been living within patriarchy for you know, several thousand years, and basically what patriarchy values women for is being you know, young. Second. I won't swear on your podcast, but I'm kind of basically fertile. Second, kind of young attractive to you know, a male mate. So when you get to a point where you're kind of fifty and your biology means that you're not having babies anymore, and when certainly not looking like the kind of youthful ideal that's on every billboard within our culture, basically patriarchy doesn't really feel like it's got much use for us anymore.
Speaker 1: Maybe we're a bit useful as Grandma's.
Speaker 2: Still a bit of caring left in the.
Speaker 3: Still a bit of useful care and left in us. But the reality is that thirty percent of women my queen ages certainly here in the UK are child free, and about forty percent of those who don't have kids have actively chosen not to have children. So that's quite a big cohort of our generation. So if the only definition of possibility of what you are as you get older is being a granny and about a third of women don't have.
Speaker 1: Children, that's a huge number of queen.
Speaker 3: Agers who don't fit into the kind of you know, the what my society might see as a norm. I wouldn't say it's a normal. I think it's almost as normal now not to have kids. So what I'm interested in is that we're talking about this map. There's this sense that the current paradigm about what women in midlife are four is massively norm fit for purpose, and kind of.
Speaker 1: Out of days.
Speaker 3: And when I talk about creating a new map, I think what we're trying to do is to create new signposts and a new map, a sense of what this bit from fifty to seventy five or you know, we're quite a lot of us likely to live into our nineties or till we're one hundred.
Speaker 1: What does that next half of our life look like.
Speaker 3: I called my community noon as in the middle of the day, because in the one hundred year life, fifty is only halfway through.
Speaker 1: It's like we're only at lunchtime. We've got the whole of the afternoon in the evening to come.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's partly why I called my book much More to Come.
Speaker 3: So I just think we need to reframe this bit of our life, and for me, the possibility of the possibility, and I've actually shown it in what I've done myself, is that at fifty we can massively pivot, reinvent, and become something different. And actually, if we're going to live that long, it's preposterous to think that you would start doing something in your twenties and still be doing it at fifty. In fact, when I was made redundant from the Saenter times later, my friends were.
Speaker 1: Like, well, what do you mean else?
Speaker 3: You know, I've been through like five jobs in the time that you've been there. That sense that you would go and work somewhere and you would be there for the whole of your career just doesn't really stack up anymore. So my book is also and what we do at Noon is a kind of a real call to people to say, don't get stuck in kind of old thinking of this three stage life that you kind of get educated, you work, you retire. I'm really interested in what I call the you know in one hundred year life, the kind of four quarters, So a sense that there's this whole new possibility between fifty and seventy five, where we're still active, we can pivot into something maybe a bit more purposeful, ask those big questions, ask what we might really want to do, what our kind of awakened self might look like. I mean, I think that this bit from fifty to seventy five is an enormous opportunity, and yet it's never presented to us in that way. And what I see in my community at noon, we've now got a community of seventeen thousand women who read my Queen Age and newsletter every week and probably getting on for about seventy five thousand, one hundred thousand on social media, is just this sense of becoming and the possibility of becoming at fifty and what that.
Speaker 1: Looks like for loads of different women.
Speaker 3: Because it's also really important, I think not to get too prescriptive about what that has to be. No more shoulds that The point is at fifty you get a chance to become the woman that you always wanted to be, and that looks differently for everyone. So what I'm encouraging is that voyage of in a discovery or purpose within the world or just whatever it is that you came into the world thinking that you wanted to do, and really giving yourself a chance to do that before it's too late.
Speaker 2: The women that you are, that are in that community, and it's an amazing thing to have built that bad just I'm so in all it is a time of immense possibility and change, and we know ourselves well and I couldn't agree with you more that it's the time when in a way we're told that we should be feeling a little bit ashamed of ourselves and a little bit sad and embarrassing. But actually, as I always say, we're at our most powerful in many ways. But there's no question that it's also often a time of life that comes with a lot of responsibility, challenges, hormonal craziness, all the things, and also loss. I want to talk a little bit about that for our stage of life, about caring for losing family men and losing family members, because it's a real I find this time is a real mixed bag of like feeling as I say, powerful and strong and like I know what I want to do with this next part, but also a lot is changing, like a lot is changing with my parents, with everyone around me. You know, this sort of sandwich generation is a real thing. I read a beautiful story that you wrote about loss of your mother in law, Maureen. Do you mind if I read a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of it.
Speaker 2: No, No, for sure you talked about sitting with her in her last days, and you wrote it is such a typical midlife experience, this sitting with someone beloved who is leaving us, but doing it has made me realize something important, That this is the real grit of life, being there in the preciousness of these final times, that ultimately we are all each other, interconnected into woven. It is at these massive times of transition that the bones of life itself become clear. That the once so important party you need to get back for, or deadline you can't possibly miss, is suddenly revealed as truly not consequential at all. We popped out for some lunch. I think you're talking about yourself and your husband, and the next table were a young couple, the dad holding their newborn, shushing and rocking it, walking around the pub, proud in his care life at its beginnings. When we were driving the country lanes, the yellows and gold of the leaves against the blue sky felt hyper real. Back home, I went for a swim in my beloved lake, where the water's surface was littered with red and golden leaves. The water was down at thirteen degrees, the shiver of winter darkness descending earlier, the year fading away. We all have our allotted time. Sitting so close to death reminds us of what is really important, makes us relish life itself and those we love. It's so beautiful, Eleanor, and I wanted to ask you that as we transition into this next phase, how do we sort of stop ourselves from being swallowed up by some of the sadness that comes with this time of life.
Speaker 3: I think at this time of life, what is incredibly important to remember is just that sense of ying, the kind of ying yang the light and the darkness, the darkness and the light, that wherever we are in our lives, every.
Speaker 1: Thing is present.
Speaker 3: I think it was one of the things that I learned most from the mushroom retreat I did, actually, which was that in the kind of greatest kind of the greatest light, that great sense of kind of golden connection, there's also always the possibility of the darkness. And I think something about midlife is being becoming more comfortable was sitting with both and realizing, certainly sitting with my mother in law when she was dying, I was very fond of her. Was just this amazing sense of the privilege of the hugeness of those moments, both the sadness of it deep sorrow, particularly in supporting my husband through the loss of somebody who'd been so important to him. I mean, he really felt, like he said to me that he felt like a gener you know, and you played Junger and he felt like somebody had like really taken out one of those bottom pieces, that everything in this life had kind of gone rocky.
Speaker 1: And then what you.
Speaker 3: Realize is that, you know, we've been together for nearly thirty years, we've got two daughters, but.
Speaker 1: We have it's always that we've taken on the mantle.
Speaker 3: From his mum to kind of look after him, and that that real adulting is the kind of you know, the business of midlife is that really kind of moving into our power.
Speaker 1: But also part of that power is.
Speaker 3: The power to support people really when they really need it, whether that's a kind of adolescent who's having a kind of been a massive anxiety crisis or self harming or something like that. Seen so many friends go through that, so many women or people kind of in the astral portal at the other end, when they're dying, and really what we what we do at this point is we come into our power to be able to manage not just ourselves but the people around us as they go through these huge kind of life portals. And I think what we need to do to get through that is to be very is to be confident in our capacity to endure and to be able to deal and to show up with love and to be very present in those moments, but also to kind of know what we need in order to be able to show up for others, and that means showing up for ourselves.
Speaker 2: When we come back after the break, ellenor Mills tells us exactly how she's looking after herself and look, it's freezing, but we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: One of the things I always do now in midlife is I swim every day and I get in the cold water, and I love that kind of rush, the kind of immediacy of this here now, the birds, that kind of light on the water, noticing the leaves every day, that kind of being plunged into nature.
Speaker 1: I live in the briddle of a city, so that's really important to me.
Speaker 3: And I wake up in the morning and I meditate for twenty minutes or half an hour, and I try and make sure that I do some pilates or something twice a week so I don't seize up, and I go for walks. And so it's also about putting some good stuff and some proper time back into our cells, eating properly, you know, getting enough. It's a bit of kind of priority about what we need to keep ourselves on the road for four other people, and also acknowledging that this is a huge time of change and of loss and of many things that have been very central to us in our lives falling away. So we did a big piece of research at noon, and we found that by fifty over half of women have been through at least five massive life events divorce, bereavement, redundancy, elderly parents kind of coming to bits and needing to be kind of nurse through their last hours or.
Speaker 1: You know, just caring for them.
Speaker 3: Also this thing about the gen Z's epidemic of anxiety in our gen Z kids and having to look after them, and then you know, other health staff, a bit of menopause, all of those things. There's kind of massive shifts that happen.
Speaker 1: In life at this point. But I think that we have to.
Speaker 3: Certainly, what I realized for myself was in that massive shedding, that sense of what had been at the same of my life disappearing in that loss, in that space is actually the possibility of something else being able to grow if we can.
Speaker 1: See it in that way.
Speaker 3: So rather than feeling all the time the loss, the loss, the shedding, how can I bear it, it's kind of also seeing it as a bit of a clearing out, so clearing a space where you might plant something new, which you know, if you're lucky, might actually be better. That's the kind of hope that I'm trying to hold. I mean, the map that we're talking about of how we paint a new map for women at midlife, because in our culture, because women's youth and fecundity is so kind of glorified, nobody thinks about actually what we bring to the table as we get older.
Speaker 1: But I think we bring this huge wisdom.
Speaker 3: This capacity for love, for connection to be there to kind of hold the ring, but also for this self actualization of you know, who you know, what is it that you really want to do? You know in this your one world and precious life. This is the thing that you are here to do only you and that's not necessarily just looking after other people. You know, what's the what's the kind of special bit of magic that you want? Is it a book that you've always wanted to write, or do you paint or do you have to be outside and walk. It's I think one of the things of sittings kind of with my lovely grandma or Grandma Marian and seeing her die or actually I've seen quite a few contemporaries of mine die in the last few months. It's just that sense of the preciousness of being here now and not wasting it.
Speaker 2: This might be a silly question, but when you were working, when you were working, I mean you're working. You're probably working harder than ever running your own thing. Like, let's be honest, when you had your other job, your big job, the big Sunday Times job, were you meditating, swimming in the lake realizing these things for it? Like were you no?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Soh my god, so big the transformation you've been through in these last few years, and this is this is this right putting yourself at the front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is completely huge.
Speaker 3: So so this is what I mean by finding the kind of the silver lining, as it were in the in the loss is that when I was missus, you know, Super Hauncher of the Sunday Times, editorial director, editor of the magazine Share of Women in Journalism, I was so busy. I was I think I was addicted actually to the to the business of it. So I was one of those people who had every time I went back to my phone there were probably like fifty emails that I hadn't seen. Every second of my day was you know, there was people I was meant to be see or people I want to be talking. I was so so round, so just packed in and I can remember just that they're just being no there was never any time for anything. I often used to feel like a ping pong ball that was just kind of ricocheting off the wall. And by the end of the day I'd have done so many meetings that I just kind of felt completely battered, and I was always you know, running, kind of running on empty running on adrenaline, you know, running really fast. And actually, I think one of the big lessons of this time, although I mean I still work rug because I run two businesses and I've written a book and as but it's a different kind of thing. It's not always being on somebody else's kind of clock, as it were. So there's nobody in my life now that I answer to you other than myself or my family or my husband. I don't have any kind of boss. And having spent twenty five years literally where kind of chained to your phone, where that when the big bosses kind of number came through, you would get a kind of adrenaline spike of criky, you know what's happened next. And also, you know, being a journalist, which you know, and I was, you know, I was covering the wars and kind of you know, big stuff. So he was also having to be really on top of the US agenda all the time. So I think it's a huge relief to step back a bit from that and to have some time. I think it's it's a really hard transition I write about in the book. I felt a bit like one of those like Asian Indian deities with kind of sixteen arms and you know, nothing to do with any of them. It was a really big it was a big transition for me, and I would say that I'm still it's quite easy.
Speaker 1: To swap one very kind of massively busy job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was going to ask. Do you have to watch your addiction to work like, because obviously you are incredibly busy running two businesses and writing books, but you now obviously have realized the how essential it is to you to build in the time for the things that keep you sane and running. Yeah, And I think, so, do you have to watch your work addictions or do.
Speaker 1: You have to watch my workaholism?
Speaker 3: But I also it's just a different thing, you know. I set up my life now so every day at twelve, I go up to the pond and I swim. You know, I make sure that whatever.
Speaker 2: Do you do that even now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, are you in London. Temperature in the pond where.
Speaker 3: I saw of every day at the moment is five or six degrees. You were saying the shivering winter at thirteen. That's why I was smiling to herself. I was thinking, oh that that was early in the autumn. Yeah, it's five or six degrees. Sometimes it's kind of frozen.
Speaker 1: But there's something.
Speaker 3: About going into that cold water which absolutely makes you have to focus on them.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: And I think that when you're doing those very busy jobs or you're kind of running on business all the time, You're always thinking about something else, you're always distracted from actually kind of where you are and the reality of that. And so I try now to be much more in that present. And I also spend a lot of time sitting in big circles of queen ages, listening to them and hearing their stories and hearing their own way that how they've kind of been wayfinders through this time. And what we see is that by in fact, I have an Australian Aboriginal painting my sitting room, which is one of the ones of the women. It's all the dots, and it's all the kind of it's all the kind of big events of their lives and the women sitting in a circle. And often what I think of when I'm with my queen agers is that all they are creating those dots for.
Speaker 1: All those other women. So you come in and someone will have say, just got divorced.
Speaker 3: I was in a terrible circle last week where a woman said she literally just found out that her husband of thirty years had been having an affair and she just didn't know what to do. And one of the other women in the in the circle had been in that situation eighteen months ago, and so there's this amazing sense it almost like that we're all kind of going around the spiral, and some of the women are a bit further along the journey, some are just beginning it.
Speaker 1: But as we sit together and the.
Speaker 3: Story is unfold, the woman who feels like she's just been, you know, not pushed off a cliff, can see that there is a way through, and maybe several different ways through. So one woman had decided that she was going to be in a kind of more open marriage because she didn't want to spit up with her husband. Another had sent him packing and had kind of moved into a different kind of life. So I think that what we're modeling for each other in these circles, or in the things that I write about, is the different ways that we might move through those losses or that shedding of midlife and what it might look like afterwards. So what we also found in our research that was that the women who'd been through the most, so that there are these five big things and often they all come together and what we call a midlife collision or a midlife cluster rude word.
Speaker 1: The women who've been through the most end up the happiest.
Speaker 3: That there's a sense of the shedding, kind of clearing out space for what they really want to do, and they end up happiest because they have created a life which is resonant for them. And for what I mean by that is that you create a life for yourself which looks on the outside how you feel on the inside. So lovely woman in my book who I met actually in Jamaica, when after I'd been made redundant, I went out there again and I went I was in a state of high anxiety. I read about it in the book, and I was sitting in this hammock looking out at the sea and completely unable to relax in any way. So I went for a swim. I went out round this boat and I met this woman, and she summoned me up onto her boat for a chat, and she told me that she'd had a terrible divorce. She'd also had a psychotic breakdown, and then she'd ended up going out with her high school sweetheart again, and they bought a boat, and they were traveling around the Caribbean, and that were not not luxury. They kind of bought a boat for about fifteen thousand dollars in Costa Rica and fitted it up and were sailing around. But there was something so joyous about this woman, and I remember her saying to me, I finally found a life which fits on the outside, how I.
Speaker 1: Feel on the inside.
Speaker 3: That they kept kind of moving on, and you know, they'd made loads of friends and they were exploring, and she said, this is what I've always wanted to do. And there was something for me that lit a spark for me, this sense that you really could completely change everything and have a completely different, new kind of life at this point, that there really was the opportunity of embracing somebody that you'd never really known was inside you. I met another woman who was working on the Mushroom Retreat who had been as psychotherapist and in New York for years and at fifty five, had gone to work on the Psaloicyber Retreat. You turned up in Jamaica with kind of a couple of suitcases living with all these young kids. So it was just the kind of sense of Wow, when things really fall away in your life, there really is a possibility to do something completely different.
Speaker 1: And that's what that's really.
Speaker 3: My call to all queen ages is kind of you know, if you really could do anything, what might that be and what is your awakened self calling you to do? Because I do think that there's a sense that we know somewhere deep within us that we might be something else.
Speaker 1: It's just allowing ourselves to tune into that and to dream.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it. I was about I was going to ask you what was the most wonderful thing about being in circles with all the queen ages, But it sounds like it's wisdom and experience.
Speaker 1: It's wisdom. Experience is huge humor.
Speaker 3: One of the things that we do on some of our retreats, because I run a lot of retreats, as I make them do or make them do, the invitation is to come and do some drumming, and we do these this crazy kind of samba drumming and it's.
Speaker 1: Like we did it. We did it earlier this year we had.
Speaker 3: Forty women all like banging drums and banging their triangles and things.
Speaker 1: It was like being in a kindergarten class. I've never seen such total joy and kind of manias. And they couldn't believe how much noise we'd made. They could hear us about two miles away in the village, and it.
Speaker 3: Said, it's a real sense of again getting into the moment, being you know, really tapping back into some joy, kind.
Speaker 1: Of saying that we're allowed to kind of have fun and some silliness. I get them to get into. It's quite a bit of a cold water theme here.
Speaker 3: We do a bit of ice baths and swimming in the cord pond on the top of the Yorkshire Malls and then going into a sauna.
Speaker 1: But what I also.
Speaker 3: Find is really important at this point is to get the women slightly out of their comfort zone because I think if you realize that if you do something that you've never done before, kind of at fifty or sixty or whenever it is, you know, you get yourself on an ice bath, or you you know, you climb up a mountain, we do incredible trips as well, then you suddenly realize that actually you're not done yet, that there's still quite a lot of stuff that you can do. And that experience of having tried something new and kind of you know, loved it or felt the exhilaration of that, or doing something that you never thought you'd be able to is actually a wonderful setup for realizing that you can actually move into a new phase of life.
Speaker 2: Another big transition for a lot of queen ages or mids is if you do have children, them growing older. I actually had my kids late, so I'm still dealing with nits and school bags even though I'm back.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: But I think one of your daughters has just graduated UNI and your other one is at UNI, and you've written a little bit about empty nesting and about the end of this massive phase of your and your husband's life of always having practical jobs on the go, always having to tend to their needs, making food, doing all the things. And I know that older children still need a lot of you, but it's a different it's a different kind of need. Right, How are you finding that shift, this latest kind of shift of being empty nesters.
Speaker 1: Well, when it.
Speaker 3: First happened, it was absolutely agonizing. I'm writing the book, and it's actually one of the book where I had I had to read the audio version of the book, and actually the bit where my little one goes off to university, I can't It was about the only bit in the book that really made me cry. And there's there's quite a lot of bits in the book which are quite emotional, but there's something visceral about you know, being in her bedroom and packing up her apans and you know her not just them not being around. And I think in that same way as when you become a parent for the first time, you're suddenly plunged into that kind of twenty four hour care. You know, this, this tiny thing is dependent on me for everything. It's kind of almost as big a shift again when suddenly that kind of twenty four to.
Speaker 1: Seven, you know, just look at where are they? Are they here? Are they fed? Are they in the house? Stops? And they go off and you're not responsible for them in that way.
Speaker 3: But I so I felt, really, really felt the loss of that, felt very very sad about it.
Speaker 1: But that passes.
Speaker 3: And what I would also say is there's a huge opportunity. You know, there's a huge opportunity in this. You suddenly get all this space which is not being touched kind of you know, taken up with swimming things and school runs and you know, the pta and all that stuff which you can. So I think what we see with a lot of the women is that actually seventy percent of the women when they hit fifty want to power up their careers, partly because the kids have gone.
Speaker 1: And suddenly you've got all this time.
Speaker 3: You know, all those years of having to run back and be there for bedtime or feeling really guilty.
Speaker 1: That you weren't there. Suddenly they're not there anyway, so you know, you can do whatever you like. So that's why.
Speaker 2: And you've got all this experience, you've experience you know a lot exactly.
Speaker 3: But the problem is is that because of the gender and agism in our culture, and we've got all these women who want to power up, I've got all the experience and now got all this time. But that's not the way the organizations see us. Right, So one of the other big pieces of work that we're doing at noon with the you also with the UK government is.
Speaker 1: To really talk about this sense of elongating.
Speaker 3: Thinking about women's careers so that employers understand that attually it fifty we might want to power up, that we've been doing all this kind of caring for the last twenty five years.
Speaker 1: But and so this might be an opportunity where we really move into leadership. You know, we finally break.
Speaker 3: Those glass ceilings, we finally get enough you know, more women, you know, running stuff, because we move into our wisdom and our power in our fifties. But the culture doesn't see that. They would rather corporate world would much rather have rather pleasing, you know, young women who are a bit pliable and say yes, you know, and look pretty, whereas actually queen ages are the masters of managing complex change, really interesting review and the Harvard business with you so you know all of that stuff. So I think the emptiness can be a real opportunity. I think personally, I've also had a lovely time with my husband since children left, we've been together for a really long time. It feels a bit like it did before we had the kids, that we're kind of back in that kind of six years.
Speaker 1: That we had together before we had children.
Speaker 3: We can go traveling where we look after each other quite a lot, we have there's so much time, you know, we have.
Speaker 1: We have a really lovely time together. So I think that that's.
Speaker 3: Also a kind of bonus that nobody kind of ever really talks about. And then the parenting challenges of older children are really different. So I'll give you an example. I suddenly had my daughter who's in Paris. She graduated from Oxford this summer. She's in Paris working as a no parent like out her French and doing a translation courts and stuffs, having a lovely time. But I suddenly got all from her very very late on a Sunday evening, going, oh crikey. You know, some like total disasters happened and you have to give very quick kind of immediate kind of you have they need you very very intensely, you know, for an hour while you work out some massive crisis on a long distance phone call and nobody else will do, so it's a kind of very intensive.
Speaker 1: You suddenly get.
Speaker 3: A call going, you know, I've lost my cash point card in I've lost my bank card in Laos or you know, or.
Speaker 1: Up up in Manchester.
Speaker 3: All the all the smoke alarms are going off and I don't know what to do or kind of how do I get in touch with my landlord?
Speaker 1: Or so you get.
Speaker 3: Something very you get very very intense incoming like crikee, how do I sort out how do I find her a new bank card when she's in Cambodia and I'm sitting in London. That kind of those kind of logistical things and a lot of kind of emotional backup, but it's.
Speaker 1: A different thing.
Speaker 3: And I also think that there's something around being confident in the way that we've created these new humans that they can stand on their own feet. I love that the gilbron the Prophet's poem about our children are the arrows that we shoot into the future. That we don't own them, we can't control them, we can't control their minds. Our job is to stand firm like the archer with the bow and shoot them forward and let them do their thing. And I think that that's really important. And you know, not to try and live vicariously through them, not to try and make them have be us, but hopefully we have instilled in them enough of the kind of real values, you know, caring about other people, love, hopefully caring about the planet, you know, wanting to be kind of good humans, that you've instilled enough of that in the first twenty years that that's.
Speaker 1: There in essence, and then you have to let them get on with it.
Speaker 2: This is what I find. My daughter is about to be fifteen, and she yeah right, and she is not me, and that is my I always say that's my biggest parenting lesson that I learn every day. Is that she's not me. I find there's so much joy in watching her become this person. You know, yes, but it's it's but but I ask you for reassurance because one minute she's like she needs mommy, don't go away for work, Mum, I need you here, And then the next day it's like door clothes, Yeah, how are you fine? Like it's very like, yeah, it's a real roller, it really is.
Speaker 3: But I think what you have to remember is it does it comes round. So I had such a it's my birthday last week and I was lying in bed and the doorbell rang and there was a man with an enormous bunch of lilies. My daughter's called Alice Lily, and she'd sent me lilies from Paris with this beautiful card of me and her when she was a baby, going, you know, love you, you know, love you, marm from your and she used her baby nickname on this card, and I.
Speaker 1: Just burst into tears. It was so sweet. So so you do get you.
Speaker 3: Know, we've definitely had our moments kind of during her adolescence, but I think that there's this kind of great sweetness that it kind of comes full circle if you let them go and there's this thing when their adolescent of they need you terribly when they need you, but then they don't want you anywhere near near them. So the trick is to try and be available in the moments when they need you, and that is hard, particularly once a kind.
Speaker 1: Of working, working women.
Speaker 3: And I think one of the other sweetnesses of what happened to me was it was just before the pandemic that I was made redundant. So I had these three very special years when I was very much at home.
Speaker 1: You know, we were we were kind of all hanging out together.
Speaker 3: We did a lot of baking, We did a lot of sitting around kind of you know, watching watching kind of you know, Emily.
Speaker 1: In Paris or Lasso or whatever.
Speaker 3: Altogether, that was a real kind of sweetness, an extra kind of bonus that I hadn't really hadn't really expected because it was that last bit before they went off to university. So I also think, like really kind of hug them close kind of while they're there, and try and set up just a kind of sense that you're I just think that you're you're always there for them, that you love them, whatever, that their lover is really unconditional.
Speaker 1: A lovely.
Speaker 3: Jamaican friend said to me that as parents, you know that you can't accept the love is the love that you give as a parent is not conditional. It's just you know you you love them, that you give them, that you don't expect anything back from it. And I think that that's quite important. That's not necessarily how I felt about my own parents. And I try and stay very strongly to my children all the time. I just want you to be exactly what you want to be. And one of the things that gives me great pleasure and pride. And my elder daughter, she's in parison. She's obsessed by going to like, oh, galleries or particular movies or and when I talk about the sense of the wax.
Speaker 1: Pouring into the mold and who is it that you want to be.
Speaker 3: I really feel with my daughters that they are able to kind of take the shape that they want to take, that they've got a kind of a real investment in that, Whereas for me, I felt very much that I was being poured into asking mold that my parents wanted me to be in, whereas I think for them, their mold is more free form, I hope, so I'm always saying to them that I'd like that to be the case. And I think that that's one of the things we can do as pioneering queen agers for our daughters is say, you know, when you talk to men that they do kind of take their own path, and I think for women we can go that you can do whatever you want to do and really mean it.
Speaker 2: One last question for you, Eleanor when you look at the at the next stage, the post seventy five quadrant, I guess harvest they call what kind of glorious old lady do you want to be? In your heart?
Speaker 3: Well, there's that wonderful poem, isn't there about when I'm old, I shall.
Speaker 1: Wear purple, wear purple.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if I wear purple, so it's not really my color, but I'll certainly wear green. I'll keep going swimming, I'll hopefully. Well, I'm really looking forward to actually just having loads of grandchildren. I spent the weekend with my I've got a baby niece called CC who's three, and I spent a very happy day on Saturday kind of doing puzzles and hanging out with baby CC. So I'm really looking forward to being a grandma.
Speaker 1: But I also want to go on writing. I'm want to run my community.
Speaker 3: I hope that Noon becomes a really terrifying load of kind of old queen ages kind of tripping around the world. We're just about to launch a big trip tos Bekistan and we're going to do sixty percent of solo travelers are queen ages.
Speaker 1: So we've just done a big link up with.
Speaker 3: A voyage Jules vern and I'm going to take a whole load of queen ages all over the world to.
Speaker 1: Kind of be town and Zbekistan and India and on.
Speaker 2: The Oh my god, I want to calm.
Speaker 1: I'm calming.
Speaker 3: Yes, in come it's going to be called it's called Noon Voyage, just part of the voyas Jules Verne, which is a big part of KUNI, And we're doing a whole kind of travel kind of brand. So I'm going to be so hopefully. My mum is eighty one. She came skiing with us on a queen Age of ski trip last year and it's still like paddle boarding. So I'm hoping that my granny little she was ninety seven and could still do headstands and yoga yoga poses in her.
Speaker 2: Just got to keep moving right, just got to keep moving, Eleanor, thank you so much. This has been an amazing conversation. We will put, of course, the links to where people can buy your book, where people can find out more about Noon and all your queen ages in the show notes of the podcast. But thank you for giving me your time.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you so much for having me. It's been great. It's been really interesting to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Meditation and cold swims. It seems that these are now the markers of midlife in a way that might once have been a comfy cardian, some flat shoes, two other things that can be quite partial too, actually, but I think that these signifiers of self care might just be better for us. If you want to know more about Eleanor and her noon circles, there's a link in the show notes to find out and or so to where you can buy her book. And if you want to hear more stories of dramatic reinvention in midlife, and honestly, those are my favorite stories, because what I find more exciting than anything is the idea that nothing is now off limits. Then you need to scroll back and listen to my conversation with the amazing Australian author Jane Tara. She lost her business and her long term relationship by text message and she was diagnosed with a significant health issue all around that crucial fifty mark, and so she changed everything too. And if you're addicted to busy, like Eleanor admits she was and still is to a degree, please go and listen to one of my most recommended episodes ever of mid It's with Catherine May, the amazing author, about burnout. It's transformative if I say so myself, and I can say it because it's not me that makes it transformative, it's Catherine. Anyway, come back next week for another B conversation with a gen X woman. I can't tell you how much I appreciate being with you.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: The executive producer of mid is and I am A Brown. The senior producer is Grace Rufray, and our producer is Charlie Blackman. And we've had sound design and editing by Jacob Brown. And I'm Holly Wainwright and thank you for listening.