Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast. Mom and Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to cancel. The podcast looks at seely celebrity crimes and as science charges and sentences to them so we can all move on with our lives. I'm Klas Stephens and I'm Jesse Stephens. And Jesse today we're talking about the OC. Welcome to the OC, bitch, Who are you?
Speaker 2: Whoever you want me to be?
Speaker 1: She Ill Ryan's gonna stream with us. Now do you what from your current are you? This is one of those episodes where you go, oh, this was twenty years ago. Does it feel urgent? And the answer is yes, it does. I feel urgent because I don't know if you're gonna say this, but because of what I might describe as the resurgence of one Seth Cohen. And I don't mean Adam Brody, I mean Seth Cohen, because Seth Cohen is Seth Cohen again in a Netflix series called Nobody Wants This something like that. Yeah. Yeah, So I will tell you before you begin. I will tell you my vibe because you've watched some I haven't watched any You never watched the OC. No, the OC obviously, this new show. No, I don't want to talk about the new show. I want to about the OC quickly. You've seen a few episodes. If nobody wants this, no, Claire, I watched fifteen minutes and vibe. I didn't love it. I didn't, and I'm alone in that. I don't know. I don't know, and everyone else likes it, but I just wasn't. In a food or something, I'm gonna love it. I quite like the Jewish storyline because she's a shitska, which is what I am, which is when you are a woman who is not Jewish with a man who is Jewish. I think the Jewish stuff very fun. But anyway, it wasn't for me. Now my vibes's on the OCA, okay, Ryan, forty nine year old Mischa Barton did seem twenty. I remember being very young and seeing Mischa Barton's face and body. I remember seeing her described as a coat hanger, that she could wear anything, and I remember thinking, I wonder if I'm a coat Marrian, not a coat hanger. You're more of a brick. Yeah, yeah, just because you're short and you know, things go out and yeah, there's like shape, I can't wear anything. My other recollections are Sandy Cohen's eyebrows for play. Oh hereah, you know.
Speaker 2: Massaging you No, no nibbling the that. Look, here's a point. Just because you're ready to go, it doesn't mean she is. I'm always ready to go.
Speaker 3: Oh you my son.
Speaker 2: We Cohens are very sexual beings. Viral get you just disgusting.
Speaker 1: Seth kind of a lovely home and it was nice to hear housed Ryan and Rachel Bilson. Okay, some I wanted to go to Brown. I think that's all I've got. Okay, Brown is a university. Yes, and she did go, did she? And then she got Actually I didn't include this. She actually got expelled. Can you get expelled from university? Kicked out of university for freeing lab rabbits love with her friend Chris Pratt, who was her college friend? Yes, now, yes, we should probably add that when you're at university, you had a labrat named Cruder. Yeah, crudis critis. Yeah, I had a labrat, and you teach Crudis some things things, yep, to turn around a circle, and creutis never learned to think, and that was because the incentive was food and Curtis what wasn't food motivated. Crudis was a big boy, and Crudis was, as my lecturer said, say she ated. Ah, I wasn't motivated. Okay, anyway, nobody wants this got me thinking about the OC. Yeah. It aired from two thousand and three until two thousand and seven, with four seasons and ninety two episodes. Fantastic and that was the beginning of an iconic era of teen show great music.
Speaker 3: A long time girl.
Speaker 2: We used to with friendsperd about.
Speaker 3: Make a deal with God someday, Oh, dawning. I didn't realize that.
Speaker 1: Literally by the end of the OC, the creators slash showrunners were already working on Gossip Girl. Like it's the same creators. And I feel like the OC overlapped with Laguna Beach, which was geographically Yes, it was the inspiration the first season of that. They were like, we need more set here, specifically with hot people. Yeah, and they did that and it was excellent. Oh, we should do an episode about Laguna Beach. Oh. The OC centered around Ryan Atwood, who, as he mentioned, was meant to be a teenager but was seventy five years old. No, he was twenty three. He had ostereiporosis, so probably No, he went straight from Seth Cohen's pool room to an old age home. He did, No, he didn't. He was only twenty. He is a troubled youth and his mother kicks him out, and Sandy and Kirsten Cohen take him in. They're rich and have a lone of sons, and Ryan has to adapt from his life of violence and poverty to this fancy one. But he learns even rich people have their problems, which is a really important lesson. I remember reading that their swimming pool was only ankle deep. Oh that's a fun thing in real life, Like they couldn't actually swim in it, which made me feel sad. I mean, wasn't at order to set I guess, I know, not the pool. Not the pool. Well, he falls in love with Marissa, and he befriends Seth, and that first season was where most of your memories of the OC come from.
Speaker 2: Oh. Also, that wasn't exactly the way that I first planned to talk to Summer, but I am now on her radar. Do you think I should tell her about Tdahiti? Do you that's I thought. Let's see, that's what I was thinking. I wanted to make sure that we were on the same page.
Speaker 1: The love triangle between seth Anna and Summer.
Speaker 2: Was itting, Okay, thanks fine, let meet you back upstairs.
Speaker 1: Smoke alarm.
Speaker 2: Summer Anna sat hotly awkward.
Speaker 3: This is weird.
Speaker 2: I want to explain everything to you. Guys. I kissed you. I know, I kissed you so true. I always knew you were late, bloom were sweety. We you not go?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 1: Oh you don't want her to go?
Speaker 3: No? No, I mean yes, I mean yes, nice. Okay, that was awkward with her here.
Speaker 2: Now finally she's gone. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: The great music Anna, Yep, all of that. It's simply was then in the Bad Day film clip. Forgot about that, and she's good that day, And I was like, didn't she's with seth I like her short hair. No, she moved back to Pittsburgh anyway. It simply went downhill from there, Jesse. Some fun facts quick cameos Chris Pratt. As aforementioned, he was in season four as a college activist. Max Greenfield, who went on to play Schmidt in New Girl, was a young Sandy Cohen in a flashback o good casting Shaylene Woodley. I was originally Marissa's younger sister in season one. Then she went to boarding school and when she came back she was a different actions. I love when they think we won't notice. Olivia Wilde originally auditioned to Marissa, but then she went on to play Alex, Marissa's love interest. Paris Hilton had a cameo in season one and kissed Seth.
Speaker 2: Relaxed his all checks are so late. We're not from La Orange County, Orange County.
Speaker 1: And but heard had a cameo in season two. There are many more. I could go on forever, but none of that matters. I want to I want like it. Yeah, yeah, a reunion where they all hang out. It's like they all say, I've seen some shit. Well you'll want to reunion more after all. Right, what I'm about to tell you My structure for today's follows. Inappropriate relationships, both on and off screen. Poor behavior on set was Marissa The worst and most bizarre storylines Inappropriate relationships on screen Julie Cooper, Marissa's mother.
Speaker 3: Wake Up Jimmy. The Sigbreeds donated a pool and a field house their son only small part.
Speaker 1: Marissa shot someone.
Speaker 2: We've got to at least give them a.
Speaker 1: Underground how she was annoying, she had like red hair, and she she had a problem, She had all sorts of problems. She has a relationship with the ex boyfriend of her daughter. I'd forgotten. Now it's accepted Luke is now big on TikTok. He's big on TikTok and he was in Nashville. Yeah, he does funny, funny tiktoks about having been on the OC. Anyway, it's accepted in the OC that the kids are all sixteen or seventeen, and Luke is in the same year as everyone else at school. Therefore, Julie having sex with him, which she does, would technically be stated true rape, but it was more like a bit sexy yeah, and a bit naughty yeah. Instead it's played off as drama and it's all like this will destroy Marissa, and it's a bit like how about Luke, how's Luke doing? Yeah? But the writers did add a tiny detail to make the relationship technically legal. Melinda Clark, who played Julie, told in Style the kids are technically sixteen, but there's a scene where Luke and Julie are having their rendezvous and in the morning he's like, I don't want to be late for home room. That's when you know things a fucked anyway, and Julie goes, you have homeroom, right, because you're in high school and you're only eighteen. They added that he was eighteen, so the insinuation is he started school late or got held back, which is believable when you knew his character. Yes, but is still not. Okay, you can't but it's the law. No, but it's not right. No, but they were hot together, okay, okay. Well, Also, when Marissa discovers the relationship, she hits Luke and tells him to stay away from her before wishing him dead. And then he leaves town and it's like he goes child. He was preyed upon, prayed upon by Massa's who just goes along wreaking havoc. It's honestly chaos. Then there was Marissa and Ryan's relationship. I liked that No, behind the scene, oh because they were both playing teenagers. Yep. But Mischa Barton was seventeen at the beginning of the show and Ben McKenzie was forty five. No, he wasn't he was twenty five. Okay, that's fine, it's not when again, the age of consent in California is eighteen. Yeah, but they weren't having real sex on screen. They probably were because they were in a relationship, were they, Yeah, from the beginning of filming. Well, I'm sure they weren't having sex then because it was against the law. Well, Mischa Barton has pretty much implied that they were. Okay, So earlier this year she was a guest John call her daddy. Yeah. Yeah, Now I saw the clips and she said that her and Ben Mackenzie were in a relationship right from the beginning of filming. She said, I mean it was kind of complicated for me. I went into that a virgin, like a kid, like really feeling like I needed to grow up quickly. That was my first Okay, yep, it's like relationship or so, what's the age of consent? Eighteen eighteen and she was seventeen. She said, I had no idea what I was doing. She said she ended the relationship with him while the two were still acting together on the show, and she said, we just had to suck it up and get on with it. But there was a lot of jabs behind the scenes and off camera. I felt like that kind of ostracized me as well, because there was a marked difference in maturity level there, and she said she felt not mature enough to continue the relationship and that it was overwhelming. I find that a little bit problematic. It is seventeen and twenty five, and I know she'd been in the industry and that sort of thing, but I don't know, I feel a bit funny about it. She was a ghost in the sixth sense. She was a ghost where you know her from. She came who under the bed. She was terrifying. She was absolutely terrifying. And now I think we've talked about it before, every time I get out of bed, I imagine Micha Barton's there, she's gonna grabbed my Ankle's pale because she's sick. Ghost. She's vomiting because her mother's poisoning her. Yeah, poor behavior on that's sixth sense. Didn't make that clear enough. Poor behavior on set. When you have four very young stars become famous very quickly, people start being this to each other. Yes, okay, Tate Donov not seth oh. Sorry, you'll see. He was the most sticky no, he was, No, he was. Tate Donovan played Marissa's deadbeat dad, Jimmy, and he told Vulture he found it difficult working with those stars while he was directing an episode. He said, by the time I started to direct, the kids on the show had developed a really bad attitude. They just didn't want to be doing the show anymore. It was pretty tough. They were very tough to work with. The adults were all fantastic, but you know how it is with young actors. When you achieve a certain amount of success, you want to be doing something else. I mean, one of them turned to me and said, this show is ruining my film career, and he had never done a film before. Side note. In a moment, I think it will become clear who this was. The guy who played bad boy Volchok. Do you remember Vold Top Yeah, yeah, vaguely, yeah, really hot? Really yeah, no you should. His name's cam Gigandett, he told Elle magazine. The things that I remember now, none of them are good. It was only the third or fourth season. Those kids I remember him. Oh he's been in Twilight. So hot, he said. Those kids were fucking miserable. They could not remember their lines. On purpose. They were young. He said, Ben mackenzie was kind of mean to me. I hadn't done anything at that point, and he was a little bit of an ass. Then he was asked about Mischa Barton, who played his on screen love interest, and he said, was she there? I don't even have memories of her now, But it would seem that the person we really need to talk about attitude wise is none other than Adam Brody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm a big doork and I listen to EMO and I'm dating her. I like you this much, and if you don't feel the same way about me, someone's gonna have to give me a handdown because it's really high up here and I could fall and that would be embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Just comes across as very likable. Do you think I've been watching a few interviews and interviews. He's very he's giving, he's giving. Blake Lively so different anyway.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think just in terms of at least I don't know the profession time. I guess I just don't look at it through that lens.
Speaker 1: So I watched one interview and he was fine, and he is married to Blair Waldorf, which is what they describe as a millennial wet drain. Very true. Well, at the end of last year, the cast and crew opened up about the reality of the OC in a book called Welcome to the OC, The Oral History Serious creator Josh Schwartz was the first to admit everyone was sick of the series by the time they got into the third or fourth seasons. I'm interested in them being sick of it. This is the make like Ben mackenzie, Yeah, where you've been, where you've been. This is the heart of your career. This is something that actors wait their whole lives for. Just put your head down, be like the Friends cast, and just hold on for the ride. I wouldn't be wanting to jump off for the film that isn't there yet for you to be in, Josh Wartz said, by the time we got to season three, we were all burned out. We'd made so many episodes so quickly, and I think it wasn't a happy set for long stretches of it. Quite frankly, everybody was over it by that point, and I was one of those people who was over it. It had been a great ride, but it had been a volatile ride. Executive producer Stephanie Savage also noted the morale among the cast was very lackluster, and said they had started to be a bit petulant, with directors having an attitude reading a book during rehearsal instead of paying attention, that kind of thing. Melinda Clark, who played Julie, we were very aware in seasoning you should imprison fictionally, fictionally fictionally. We were very aware in season three of how disliked the scripts were, especially by the kids. They're calling them kids. I mean, we've said it once, we'll say it again. Is on a pension? Yeah, he's not a child. Well, Adam and Ben were like, we're grown men and we're playing in high school still. Adam Brody has admitted that he stopped reading scripts after a time. Will you could tell her well, with producers saying that the scripts piled up outside his trailer. The director had to have a conversation with him about being more invested in the job that you're getting paid a lot of money to do. He was so disinterested the writers had to come up with a plot to explain why his performance was so poor. Joshwartz said Brody just changed his delivery, his investment in it hang on if I'm remembering this correctly, Like he became so vague and disinterested that someone was like, are you going to fight for me? And he was like, am not really well? His style shifted to such a degree that we felt like we needed to account for it creatively. Josh Swartz said, that's where Caitlin gets seth hooked on pot. We were like, how do we explain his lethargy on lessergy? And at least if we can write that he's stoned, then we're not trying to write around it. They literally had to make him have a weed problem to explain why he no longer speaks in sentences. He has not read the script no. Adam Brody has said I was polite to everyone. I liked the directors, the crew, and I got on really well. I didn't keep people waiting. Okay, I would do you read the script's mate? I would never scream or yell at anyone. No, no one's accusing you of screaming or yelling say anything fucking mean. But I think I very much let my distaste for the later episodes be known. I didn't mask that at all, and I'm sure I openly mocked it. A bit, so I'm not proud of that. Okay, in his defense and actually the defense of all of the cast, like at a young age, he was seth fucking Cohen. Oh must have been awful. No, I think that that just gives you an ego. Oh yeah, like every girl was in love with him. He has just skyrocketed to fame out of nowhere. This all sounds like ego. Yes, well, he said, I started to be creatively less interested. I blame myself for a lack of professionalism and a disrespect to the work. In terms of engagement as a whole, I'll just say that they are different shows season one and the later seasons. Had the quality been the quality of Season one, I'm sure I would have been a lot more engaged. Chicken our egg, Adam, chicken of it and my engagement went hand in hand. Chicken or egg. They had to write you as a stoner because you gave them nothing in his offense. That is the general consensus that the first season was lightning in a bottle and they simply could not recreate it. Things got weirder and weirder. And this is the thing about television, right We've been doing a bit of television writing, and what they always say is you write the kind of story arc for season one, and they always say, all right, where do we go to season two? And sometimes you want to say, I don't think this is a multiple season. I think this is a single story. It's like when you write a book, unless you're writing a series, it's like I'm thinking I'll just wrap it up at the end and have a holiday and have a sleep. But with television, it's like, if it works, if there's proof of concept. I think we ought they're like but more, but more, and you're like, they're just they're just the still at school, the OC and it's like we feel like we kind of covered that in the first Yeah, now, like will they won't they? That was what season one? Season two, will they won't Well, I'm less invested season two, Marissa. Guys, the guys, come on, we got up the stakes too many people are getting Seth is addicted to Pott. Yeah, okay, we can see that. Okay, Yeah. Adam Brodie said it became a bit of a game for him to figure out what the main storylines of the show were by only reading his scenes, which he was not proud of. That's actually hilarious. I turning up to set only create your then, like you'd be really in the moment. Yeah, you'd be like technically, like what's happening with It's a surprise to Brian. It's quite meta really because it's like, well, I don't know what's happening in scenes that I'm not present in. Yeah, exactly, that's the real Seth Cohen. I should only know what Seth knows. Yeah. Yeah, And if this Sphel's tone death and this is why he's had a long and fruitful career. Yeah maybe. Well he told people at the time that he would only read the pages he was shooting each day, Like that's all he would read, So he didn't I love it. Yeah. Adam Brody was famously dating Rachel Bilson at the time. M okay, I remember that. And you might say, did he date the same person twice? Rachel Bilson is the same person as Leyden Meister. Yes, yeah, they are the same in that they are brunette and dated Adam BROUDI anyway, apparently his behavior put her in an awkward position.
Speaker 2: Poem what palm, Hey wish I was a murder.
Speaker 1: You remember that, I was like sixth grade haven't we all been there? Yeah, when your bloody boyfriend is yeah, won't do his work, smoker too much? Wait on set and off set anyway, She said, you want to be supportive of the person you with. But also I'm a firm believer in always being grateful and gratitude comes first. I think there were probably times where that went by the wayside. You grow up, you look back and you can realize when you're young you might behave in certain ways you wish you hadn't. So clearly she was like, dude, read this scene. Can you read that s grouped outside your trailer instead of that strange book? Come on, it's disrespectful to everyone. Josh Schwartz now says he wishes that he had got everyone together and had a big like come to Jesus meeting where he was like, guys, let's talk about how the show has lost its way, all right? Yeah, and he reckons it would have helped the cast feel heard, and they also might have got some good ideas, yeah, because they were stuck on ideas. Yeah, they were clearly stuck. And I always wonder with this. We were saying, sometimes you don't know if you've got enough steam for other series. But you do wonder it's coc You'd think they had some of the best writers. I know. There were really arbitrary things, like they'd be told you need another adult, like they call them kids and adults. I don't know why you need another adult to have a prominent storyline in this season. So there was season two or three where I feel like Sandy hair about cheating on each other. Yeah, I was invested in Sandy and it's like no one cares about them. Mischa Button's face up close. Yeah, it's not that complicated. Nice music, Yeah, near's Eve Ryan arrived, b Roll b Roll of Orange County. Yeah, not that hard and some fun music. In other gossips, Mischa Barton and Rachel Bilson didn't really get along. In a two thousand and four interview with Elle, Button made a very odd comment about Bilson. She said she's way more overtly sexual than I am. She is so botite, and I'm so tall and lanky. I think I'd be scared of having her voluptuousness. I like being understatedly sex. Oh okay, so you're calling her a slut. But we've got we've got the Madonna Hall. Yeah, complex and what you've done if you've called Bilton a hall.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, I'm really thin, and therefore I'm sexy in a better way. What you'll notice is I am very thin, Rachel Bilson's a slut, and Scott a tits out, which I think is unseemly and undignified. I personally cover myself and you'll realize I'm sexy in a more demure way.
Speaker 2: Very demure, very mindful.
Speaker 1: Mischi of button. Then, in twenty twenty one, when asked what prompted her decision to leave the series at the end of season three, Barton gave an interview with E did it keep going after Barton left? Wow, there's a whole season? Okay, all right? That hinted that Bilson being cast as a series regular played a part. It had a lot to do with them adding Bilson in last minute as after the first season a series regular and evening out everybody's pay. So she's basically saying I was meant to be the lead. Yeah, and then they got Summer, like Summer had more of a role. I felt like Rachel Bilson did go to Brown for a bit. I was in season four, Yeah, but I think she like disappeared. Yeah, well I don't feel like I followed, okay, but there was a lot of following Seth Cohen around that house. Didn't he get on a boat? Who got on a boat? And that was the end of season one? That was early right, Okay, maybe we didn't follow them on the boat. No. Bilson responded on a podcast saying that's misinformation. Where is she going with this and what is she trying to say? I would actually like to talk to her and find out what her experience was from her perspective, because I saw things a little differently. So she's clearly like, why does mister button hate me? We'll have him here if they want to have a chat, I will get you off the mic. Yeah, say, ladies, sit down. This is not the format of this podcast, in fact, not even recording it. This is just for me. Players, just don't mind her. She's in the corner. Yeah, she's listening. I'm salivating. She's salivating. And what we're gonna ask is who here is the bitch bo that's fun on call? Her Daddy Barton said it's typical that in these sets not everybody is going to get along. There are going to be clashes. There's going to be people who create rumors and make stuff up. I think I was very sensitive to that because I was so young. It felt like high school but in the real world and very elevated and very magnified. I was looking at some stuff recently about pretty little liars, and they always say not everyone's gonna get along, and I'm like, so there was fucking gossips. Okay, what I hear is what I'm hearing. And when people say not everyone's going to get along, it's like, who are you bullying? Who? Who specifically bullying? I remember in year nine they do. I think people mostly get along in a workplace. If they don't, there are issues that should be addressed. But I remember in year nine they did like a religion Day or whatever, and they did a big thing on rumors are damaging? Do you remember that? Yeah? Yeah, that was very very vague, and I was a quick question, what rumors? May you share them? Just so that I don't understand that they're damaging? But I was thinking that maybe if all of us could share one rumor and we could kind of play with that and talk about how they're damaging. Because I heard that she's given a hand job. That's all I'm saying. It's very like actors to say that not everyone gets along. You can't imagine like a group of people in a writer's room and then someone coming out of the writer's room and saying, not everyone gets along, not everyone's gonna get home. I'm boring, You're boring. There's less ego, like go into a staff room, like there's eccentric. There's imagine a teacher, a teacher being like, not everyone gets long, Like you're busy doing your job. Yeah, everyone's too busy to be playing into this drama. But then Barton appeared on Bill's podcast, which is like a rewatch of the OC podcast. Yeah with Julie. Julie's has a lot to say. I guess Julie has she done much, she's done the podcast? Okay, I care anyway, Button appeared on that it's called Welcome to the OC, and so I reckon they've made up all right? Love that? Yeah, so they already they stole our ideas. No more, no more rumors, I guess, no more rumors. But we could find out what the rumors were at the time. Yeah, was Marissa the worst? I don't even know what to say we did find this. Wow, I'll see if you're right. On the first Wilm we could start smoking. We had luck cool kidding kind of wait. Stop, I'm sorry, but I can't do this. I have to go what You're already even gonna try and start me? You are so fight o'kay have money, Jesse online. There's a weird level of animosity towards Marissa Cooper. That's the same with Carrie Bradshaw. It's like, yeah, characters complicated at Fardy, that's why you watched it. Yes, it is one of those times where people have to remember it was just a TV show and Marissa wasn't real. She was just a character. This is from a Bustle article. You see Marissa Cooper, played by the monotone voiced Barton, is one of the worst TV characters to ever Grace the Medium. She's whiny and annoying, selfish, and narcissistic from the moment she first appears on screen, creepily oggling Ryan until he offers her a cigarette. Her entire purpose is to make things more difficult for the teens of Newport than they need to be. She starts fights, breaks up relationships, forces her friends to literally save her life several times, doing absolutely nothing in return, except in capital letters, ruin their lives. The author rites got carried away constant near death experiences. It's gold plot, she writes, almost dying in Tijuana, almost dying with Oliver, almost dying with Trey. All right, that one wasn't her fault. Okay, what we need you to do? Almost to stop watching me? Oh yeah, okay, put it down. Put it down. Fine, that's actually it's not even being made anymore. So you just got to move on. Marissa couldn't go a couple of months without nearly getting killed, and every time she came close to biting it, her friends had to be the ones who saved alive. And when she actually died in the third season spoiler, it was because bull Chuck, the creepy guy she's been hanging out with, rammed into Ryan's cart and ruined his life too. Even in death, Marissa couldn't help but make things difficult for everyone around her. Okay, you need to see a therapist, because you don't get to be mad at someone when they've died. That way, she's like dying freaking annoying and selfish, And there are so many shows where like the main character is a serial killer, and I would argue that they yus. For example, she also talks about when Marissa made Ryan's life terrible after moving to Newport. The only thing Ryan needed in his life was stability and real baby Cooper, the crazy, unlikable and totally unappreciative girl next door. Over the course there again, off again relationship, Marissa did everything in her power to make Ryan's life mising. No, you need to speak to the site. Okay. When she died, she sent him on a downward spiral that ended with cage fighting. What dear Ryan of the OC pilot shut ah, see that girl standing there weirdly staring at you. Don't talk to her. In fact, get as far away from marrors you can trust me? Could Okay? You need to chill. You need to chill Marissa as she was needed. The chaos is necessary to the story to move Ryan also a character. Ryan didn't need stability all right, Ryan needed plot. Ryan needed plot in order to sustain the series.
Speaker 3: Okay, and Ryan doesn't need your protection because Ryan isn't real.
Speaker 1: Okay. The most bizarre storylines Marissa and Alex don't let her talk me to stay the name, you can't, you have to take me home. In season two, we have the same sex relationship which Perpetua, which was fun. Precisely every stereotype damage about biosexuality. Alex is played by Livia Wilde, and she dates both Seth Cohen and Marissa Cooper love because by sexual people date everyone in discretion, duplicitous. Yes, you can't trust him exactly. That was very much the line that they were trying to push in sort of the early two thousands was bisexual people. They were like, because that bisexuality, it exists. We're not saying it doesn't exist. We're saying saying, make up your mind, is what we're saying, because otherwise they'll take the boys and the girls.
Speaker 3: And then what.
Speaker 1: They were saying, it's manipulative. It's manipulative, and yet you can't trust him, and that's just not true. Alex was a bad girl, and bisexuality obviously goes hand in hand with being a bad rebelliousness. Yes, but there was a lot of trivialization around same sex relationships. Kirsten literally says, I'm sure it's just a phase about Marissa being with Alex and when Seth finds out that Alex stated a woman before him. He says she needs to be reminded that testosterone was missing in her last relationship. Cool. I think it is reflective of the world in which this show was created, which was that those sorts of awful things were being said behind closed doors within families all the time. Yeah, Summer versus Anna. In season one, Seth goes from having no friends to having two girls pining after him, one who he likes for her personality, Anna, and the other he likes because she's hot Summer. Who does he choose the whole one Summer? Yeah? Cool, even though she's there's a moral in that. I remember thinking there was some strange morals. I didn't like it. I thought it would be nice if he chose Anna, but we all knew it was never going to Yeah. I think that they dangled the two in front of him to try and keep him interested because he wasn't reading the scripts, so they were like, pretty thing, No, he was pretty sick. Season one, Oh okay, and they're like, every man must make a choice between a blonde and a brunette. Not usually true, and if you have brown hair, you will choose the brunette. If you are blonde, like forty five year old right over here, you will choose blonde blonde. The blonde is with the blonde. We don't cross pollinate. Y yuck yu. And you also must choose between hot, rebellious, kind of off the rails and like mean and like mean and nice and nice is boring? Yeah dark. For plot, Ryan punching people Jesse. Ryan often beats someone up in the third act of the episode, and it's a conflict, it's a complication, I understand. Yeah. Narratively, the tension had to rise and then he'd often throw a punch, just as Seth gave a quirky one liner. But it went to a whole new level after Marissa died, which we'll get to where Ryan decided to take up a cage fighting career. There's a scene what is cage fighting? Oh, you're in a cage and you're fighting. Yeah, it's like professional fighting. But it's like he has tried to, like, you know, take the bad boy out of himself. But he's like, I guess I'll just get beaten up, and so he does this cage fight where he just gets beaten up and lets himself be beaten up. I guess because he's grieving. Okay, but then men are weird, but men are weird. But then he turns around and wins, but doesn't collect his winnings, and it's like too many plot points. This is a weird trajectory for Ryan. Yeah, the man needs to get out of the cave, get a job. He's actually quite clever in the show. I forgot that he's quite good at school. He should focus on that. Put your head down, yep, yep. Needs to go to college. Yeah, stop throwing punches, yep. Marissa's death. Unless you are Game of Thrones, you simply cannot kill off a main character and expect the show to thrive in season I think they expected. In season three, things are finally looking better for her. They've all graduated. She's about to go to Greece to work on a boat, and Ryan is driving her to the airport. Then she's killed in a car accident caused by vulture.
Speaker 3: Of first, Ryan carries her out of the burning car while Halloween play Jesse, did you rewatch this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I will always find that profoundly moving. It's the flashback, so she's dying. She still looks so pretty lucky. She has a tiny bit of body some would say pretty ear because she's just so still and beautiful and you can scare at her and she's not moving. Yeah, and then there's a flashback to like Ryan driving away from and she's standing on the street, and it's just it honestly makes me feel quite sick with emotion. I think they did something there. They did, Yeah, but I will say it is bizarre for her to die and then expect the story. Didn't she just want to get off the show? Yeah? But then the story they should have ended the series. Well, they should have ended the series after season one. Yeah, and this is why the series needed to end when Marissa died. Okay, because then in season four we had an alternate universe plot. What, No, we didn't, No, we didn't. So Ryan is in a relationship joking about a cage fighting. No, well, I mean the cage fighting isn't in the alternate universe. But where's that that just happens in season four? Okay? Anyway, Ryan is in a relationship with Taylor. Who's Taylor, you'd know her face. She goes to the school, okay, but they both fall off a ladder. How long are they at school, like I feel like they were nearly done in season one. In season four, like they knew each other from school Oka, but like some of the others are at college. They both fall off a ladder and into together. Yeah, they're both on the ladder. Well, yeah, and they're going to fall off in a coma, And in that coma they enter at an alternate u universe where Ryan never moved to Newport Beach for some reason. As I said, both Ryan and Taylor are in the alternate universe together. Yeah, that's what happens. Actually, I've heard with comas is that if you have a comera in someone you know at the coma, then it's like ash joined. It's like if you're playing like a video game on Xbox and then someone else lugs in, kind of like that. Taylor goes to Marissa's bedroom in the alternate universe and the maid says Miss Cooper's plane arrives at three o'clock from Berkeley, which is where Marissa wanted to go. So Taylor believes Marissa is still alive in this alternate universe, and she tells Ryan, but she doesn't want him to go to the airport because she's worried that he'll be like, oh my god, Marissa's here, and then he won't ever want to leave the alternate universe. At the air I'm moved. I have a little bit more. At the airport, Ryan grabs the shoulder of a girl he thinks is Marissa, but Marissa said she wouldn't do season four. It's actually Marissa's younger sister, Caitlin, otherwise known as Shalene, would lee. Only at the beginning, she explains that her sister died three years ago of an overdose in Tijuana, So basically it's like she would have died. I gotsmumps. She would have died in Tijuana, Yeah, which was like before a lot of stuff happened. Oh, because I think Ryan rescued it from Tijuana. Anyway, everyone else's lives are different. But I guess what you learn is that you really need to make up alternate universes when you kill off. When you run out. Does he come out of the clima, Yeah, together with Taylor. Yeah, and he's like ever talk about it. Yeah, but it's like, I guess he's at peace knowing she would have died anyway. Cool. I don't know. There's a lot of stuff that like doesn't happen. Like there's some sad stuff. There's a guy Johnny who falls off a cliff. He doesn't fall off the cliff if Ryan doesn't come. Okay, Yeah, anyway, when Marissa shot tries this is such a complicated storyline. Whoo's Tray again? Who played him? He's Ryan's brother, you know his face? Okay, But he gets out of jail and he comes to the OC and he ends up sexually assaulting Marissa. When Ryan finds out, he goes to Trey's place to confront him and they're fighting. Trey is about to he like grabs like a landline phone which damn bad a brick and goes to hit him, but Marissa grabs the gun and shoots him, and Jesse, can you read this T shirt? I still think about when Marissa shot Trey to save Ryan while Imagen heaps. Hide and Seek played on the OC season two finale, Please starve it. That's where it's like what you say, and it's all of a sudden slow motion and Tray's the bullet go from his back to his front and the blood starts pouring out and you're like, as killed Tray yeah, but it does say in small text, I downloaded an MP three of the song the next day. Yeah, I think we downloaded from Lime Wire.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: So that was the season two finale. Beginning of season three, Tray's alive. He survived. He was in a goma obviously, and Marissa is now like facing legal consequences, you know what I mean, Like Trey just needed to die. Yeah, he did need to die. But I guess contractually he was meant to be another season. Yeah, I guess so, Jesse, it's time for charges and sentences. My charge, my biggest charge in all of this, is that these young stars they thought, well when I say they are mostly mean, Adam Brody, yeah, and the little bit Ben mackenzie. Yeah, thought they could do better than the writers. And what they weren't experiencing was say, pressure from the network, feed back from producers, all sorts of things about what you had to do, what you couldn't do, who needed more time? And I just think the arrogance of being yes, forty seven years old, No, no, he wasn't. Ben McKenzie was not forty seven. Yeah he was by the end, he was, Yeah, he wasn't thirty yet. But the arrogance of thinking, like looking down on the writers and not reading the scripts. Honestly, you have a go at and Brady and you're high, yeah on screen, but looks like you also are in your trailer my sentence. A reboot. You know we're rebooting everything, aren't we? Yeah? Remember they bloody rebooted the four House. They rebooted everything for a minute. None of them work and they never did it again. But go on. And I really hate the term reboot me too. I don't like it. No, it doesn't work anyway. Yeah, So a reboot written exclusively by Adam Brady? Has he written since? I don't think so, but I want him it would be very quippi. I think he's in his twe forties now, Yeah, and I want him to sit down. And he's had a lot of experience. He was in Jennifer's Body and it's the one with Megan Fox. Never heard of it. It's actually really good. I've seen a lot of clips of it on TikTok. He was in Mister and Missus Smith, he was in Promising Young Woman. He's had the most successful career of any of them. Yeah, what's Sandy been in?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen him. Yeah, originally she's just on podcasts, she is. Anyway, you want Adam to write a series, it would be successful to write a season and just reboot. I want to know where are we all? Now? Where are we? Because none of us are together? Ross is dead? Do you reckon? She comes back? Okay, this is what he should do, a reboot. But what you do is you were raise No, no, no, you were raise seasons two, three, and four. Because this is a reboot, pregending that we just have season one, which I think was like twenty seven to twenty eight episodes. It's actually not about idea season one yep, time jump twenty years and now where are they? Marissa's still alive accident is sitting Ryan and his care facility? Aren't we?
Speaker 3: We are?
Speaker 1: We are all right?
Speaker 2: My charge.
Speaker 1: I remember watching this and feeling so ugly. Oh gosh. I remember studying mis she Button's face, the simplicity of it, and being like, why is my face so complicated? It has remembered many parts yeah face yeah, yeah, like there's so much wrong with it. And I remember looking at Marissa and there was one episode where she wore a boob stoop. She look great and strapless, great bone shoulders and pearls. And I found myself going to a beach party. Oh no, And I did wear pearls to the beach and I think back to that, and I think, no, no, pearls should never be in a situation where they get sandy.
Speaker 3: They were pearls, but you know when they were like colored beads. Oh no, colored beads with a.
Speaker 1: Lovely burnt orange boob tube. And I was like, I am Mischa Barton, don't get me mixed up. No one, No one did. She would have said, she would have said, you're too voluptuous, and she's more understated sex. Unfortunately, you are right. My sentence is that it was just never made with the right people because seventeen year olds are disgusting. Hear me out. Seventeen year olds are greasy. They all have hormonal acne. Because I don't know what's going on yet, you've probably not got your braces off making bad fashion decisions. Yep, you're experimenting with fake tan. Yeah. And here's the other thing. I've been spending a lot of time at my local library, and that is where HS students hang out. Yeah, and there is no one, no offense anything more insufferable, and so it needs to be like these teenagers that oscillate from like Oh, we're so cool, let's go to a party, and then being I think that the maths teachers really didn't mark that fair. We need more of a built need more. I saw a thing this is totally unrelated. I saw a thing at the library, a little poster. I nearly took a photo for you because I thought it would upset you that said we're having a night for everyone doing the HC. Come, We're going to talk about study skills. And I was like, study skills, great, and then it said what food to pack? And I was like, I hate you, I hate you. Why do you need a session on snacking? That's what a plot thing should be. They all go to a night where someone says, you know, make sure that you have some fruit. So wait, that was on the study skills. Having said that was on the agenda of the night where they tell you what to do. It was like nutrition and snap, okay for your exams. Seventeen year olds take themselves far too seriously. Yeah, for people whom you want to shake and say doesn't mean anything. No, you can't you can't. You can't and you've not shot Trey, so you don't have real issues. No, you know what I mean, Like at least they had. Marissa died in a car crash, hectic issues just after she graduated, Seth adicted to wedicted. You have little small scale issueses. Before we go, I want to read you a laser girls story which you know who would relate to lazy girl stories, Adam, lazy girl story from Jamie. When I was a teenager, my boyfriend and I would often use a lamb line to call my sister in the next remover on her Nokia three sixty and ask her to make his pancakes. We'd bribe her and tell her we'd get give her pocket money. Little did she know that while she was baking her little heart out for us, I'd sneak into a room and steal her own money and give it back to her as payment. Lazy girls don't carry cash. I love it. Lazy girls don't carry cash needs to be on a team, it does, it does. If we have cash, we stole it from mum'sdraw. Okay, there's also something in there about I think pancakes. We're an oddly prominent feature of Lazy Girl's adolescents. Yes, particularly the one where you just started water. You just do a bit of a shake and you for them out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotta wait till it bubbles. We should make pancakes, those girl pancakes. It's just a recipe. Yeah, I love it. I did make pancakes from Utilda the other day and I thought, oh, it takes me back, takes me back to being a teenage lazy girl. That would be our os. It's just making pancakes at six pm on a cheese today. Thank you so much for joining us on this episode of Canceled. Before you go, we thought we should let you know that we make another podcast together. When we're not canceling celebrities. We're trying to cancel parenting. If you two want to laugh at the weird shit your baby has done, or maybe more realistically, the weird shit you have done as a parent, then might we suggest you check out the Baby Bubble. One of our guests this season who had me in absolute stitches was comedian Sammy Shah and he who I still think about his stories. He was so he was so funny. He has done some questionable things to feel vindicated as a parent. He has a very funny story about being on a plane and looking at a twenty one year old and being like, you're not bloody tired, mae. We'll put a link to the baby bubble in our show notes. The producer of Canceled is Kimberly Bradish and the audio producer of Canceled he is Leah Porgies. For more from us, you can follow us at the Twins Underscore thoughts on Instagra. We would love to see you there and if you feel like it, if you've got two minutes laser girls, don't but screw it leave us five star review. We would love that. We'll be back next week.
Speaker 3: Bye.