Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging, and feel privileged to continue the sharing of birth stories and knowledge that has been a fundamental part of Indigenous culture.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Cassinia Lukitch and this is Diary of a Birth. We've spoken about surrogacy and infertility a few times on the pod, but today's story has an added layer. After years of trying, twenty three rounds of IVF and constant setbacks, Today's mum turned to her sister, a sister who offered to carry her child.
Speaker 3: My sister Sophie offered before we were really ready to commit to surrogacy, and we said to her that we would wait for our doctor to tell us that it was time to consider surrogacy. So when the time came after my last failed cycle, he said it's time to speak to Sophie and Sewan.
Speaker 1: And despite feeling like her body failed her and the complex emotions of seeing her sister carrie a child she knew was biologically hers, she finally had her much wanted baby but the story doesn't end there. In what can only be described as a miracle, today's mum did actually have the pregnancy she always wanted. So while today's story is about her first baby, Goldie, it's also about her second child, Freddy. So let's meet today's mum.
Speaker 4: Hi, I'm Carli. This is the diary of my birth with Goldie.
Speaker 1: So Carly, your story is really really interesting. But you've got a little three week old crying in the background, So if we hear little cries, that's what that is. But can you tell us about your journey to conceiving and your journey to actually having Goldie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my husband Kurt and I were married in twenty fifteen and we felt pregnant quite quickly, and unfortunately that resulted in a miscarriage and yeah, it was a blighted over and I had a DNC and then after that we unfortunately weren't able to fell pregnant for years and that resulted in quite a lot of IVF and yeah, we had unexplained infertility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many rounds of IVF did she go through?
Speaker 3: We ended up having approximately twenty five rounds of IVF, so that entailed eleven egg collections and twenty five embryo transfers, which they were top quality embryos that were transferred to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We didn't have a chemical, a miscarriage, nothing, It was just every single transfer failed.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy. I mean, I I've had an egg collection before, and even doing one of them was hard. I can't even imagine going through the hormones and injections of eleven.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That must have been very mentally taxing on you and your partner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was a really difficult time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think ultimately it's made us stronger.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, eventually your doctor sort of suggested that it might be time to go down the sarrogacy route. Yes, and your sister actually offered to be your surrogate.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My sister, Sophie offered before we were really ready to commit to surrogacy, and we said to her that we would wait for our doctor to tell us that it was time to consider surrogacy. He knew that Sophie and her husband Sean had offered, so when the time came after my last failed cycle, he said, it's time to speak to Sophie and Sean.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Obviously, your sister agreed to do this. But was that a complex feeling for you? Very Because before we recorded this interview, we spoke about you got three other siblings. You've got two brothers and a sister, Yes, all of whom had children whilst you were trying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there's four of us. I'm the eldest, and I've got two brothers and a sister. Yep.
Speaker 1: How was it for you seeing your siblings grow their family when you guys weren't able to.
Speaker 4: It was really hard.
Speaker 3: While I've always been, you know, such a baby person and so maternal and obviously so excited to have babies in the family, it was really heartbreaking because I felt like with them.
Speaker 4: I didn't have a poker face.
Speaker 3: They could see straight through me, and they could see how heartbroken Kurt and I were at that time, and I just felt like I couldn't share the journey with them. It was such an important and special time for them, and I had to step away because it was too hard for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of one of those really challenging feelings where you're you want to be happy for them, but it is so hard for you to just pretend like you're okay with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And they could see, they could see through it. They know me so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 4: Also so difficult for them.
Speaker 3: They felt like they had to, you know, cover up such joy in their life, and that made me feel so uncomfortable because I don't want anyone to have to do that. So, yeah, it was really hard, particularly when Sophie was pregnant with my niece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when Sophie agreed to be your surrogate, how long did the process take for her to get pregnant.
Speaker 3: It was a little bit longer for us because Sophie and Sean wanted a second child, and with regards to the risks with surrogacy and the risks that you know, come with giving birth, it was decided that they would have their baby straight away and then we would look. So whilst Sophie felt pregnant, and while she was pregnant, I did to egg collections just to have some embryors in the bank for her when she was ready to transfer.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how long after she had your niece was she ready to go again?
Speaker 3: She had my nephew, So she had she had a little girl, and she had my nephew in the January. Six weeks later, she got cleared by her obstetrician, and it's a really long process of legals and counseling. You actually have to be approved through the board at what we were at IVF Australia, so it's quite a long process. So he was born in the January and we transferred Goldie's I think we were approved in the May and transferred in September, so.
Speaker 1: It's only sort of nine months after she gave birth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, push. We pushed forward.
Speaker 3: Because she was ready and she wanted to just not get it done, but she it's something that she committed to and she was very eager to get started o Kurt and I obviously would have given her all the time in the world, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was really keen to get started. So that's how it panned out.
Speaker 1: And tell me about finding out that she was pregnant with your baby.
Speaker 3: It was so surreal because of our history. There was so much of me holding back, not believing that it was real. So when we heard her heartbeat, that's a point I obviously never got to. So that's when I really started to believe that it was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I imagine that everybody in your family would have just been so thrilled for you and Kurt.
Speaker 3: They were they It was such a huge time for my whole family, my parents and my in laws in particular. Yeah, it was just it was unbelievable. It was so nerve wracking, and you know, it was such a big process. We also didn't tell anyone that we were doing the surrogacy process except for our parents, So my brothers actually didn't know until Sophie was pregnant. Oh wow, Yeah, which might seem strange, but I just the thought of breaking their hearts again if it didn't work was too much, so we actually didn't even tell anyone.
Speaker 4: So it was Yeah, it was a big surprise, and that's amazing.
Speaker 1: And in terms of obviously you can't speak for Sophie, but what was the pregnancy like for her and what was it like for you watching your sister carry your child? Yeah?
Speaker 4: God, where do I start.
Speaker 3: Sophie doesn't have easy pregnancies, so she was very sick for about twenty weeks, which blows my mind even more.
Speaker 4: But it was hard.
Speaker 3: It was watching her be pregnant. My brain told me that that was her baby. It was really hard to connect.
Speaker 4: With what was my baby? That was growing in her and also seeing her suffer so much, and she hid a lot of it from me, but seeing her suffer, like you know, she's my younger sister, being protective of her as well. It was a really challenging time emotionally.
Speaker 1: Was there any yearning from you that you wanted to I don't know if jealousy is the right term, but yeah, not being able to do it yourself. Did you feel some kind of like, yeah, jealousy in that phrase, because I imagine that would be really hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was probably one of the hardest parts.
Speaker 3: That it's something that I wanted so badly for my entire life, and I had to, you know, just accept the fact that I wasn't going to be pregnant and this is what I had to do for my baby, and it's what I had to do for Kirk to become a father. Also in the background, you don't want to come off as ungrateful, because I was just so unbelievably grateful, but it was still really painful at the same time having to let go of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after Sophie starts to feel better, was the pregnancy okay, like any health issues, any problems.
Speaker 4: No, I wouldn't say there was problems.
Speaker 3: Like being her third pregnancy, it wasn't easy on her as the you know, as the pregnancy went on. My baby was also a lot bigger than hers, which was a little bit uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: But yeah, aches and pains and you know, just the normal stuff. But once she got over her nausea and she actually was diagnosed with HG, so she was really unwell. Once she got over that, it was just planning for the delivery really. Yeah, it was in the middle as well, so that was quite tricky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was the delivery process like during COVID were you able to be with her?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: We had planned for her to have a cesarean.
Speaker 3: Her doctor thought that that would be better on her body because she wanted to continue to have a family after being a surrogate. So that was planned for the Wednesday, and she actually went into labor on the Tuesday night. So we were told for the cesarian we wouldn't be all out in theater and her husband Sean was going to be with her and we were going to wait in the room on the ward. At that stage, we didn't know if Goldie was a boy or a girl, so they were just going to wheel her in with a little bow on her head or a little beanie on but it changed and luckily enough, Kurt and Sean and I were able to be in the room with Sophie while she liver.
Speaker 4: So it was very special.
Speaker 1: Oh well that would have been amazing.
Speaker 4: It was, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was hard seeing her in so much pain and there was absolutely nothing I could do. But yeah, she did what she does best, and she'd done it twice before, and yeah, it was very special.
Speaker 1: So she ended up having a vaginal delivery.
Speaker 4: She did. Yep. Goldie decided to come early at thirty seven and.
Speaker 3: Four days, so yeah. She At one point she said, my, well she was in labor. Am I going to go down and have a CESAIA now? And said, no, you're too far along. You'll deliver on the operating table. So yeah, that's how it went, and it ended up going really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Goldie comes out. You see it's a girl. Yeah, described to me that first moment of meeting her.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was incredible, Like I said, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I really struggled associating that Sophie was carrying my baby, not her own.
Speaker 3: And when I saw her head come out and she was turned and I saw her little face. I just instantly just thought, oh my god, that is my baby, and I was yeah, I was down there and Kurt was behind me holding my hand, and they pulled her out and they said what is it, and we both at the same time screamed, it's the girl.
Speaker 4: And I just was hysterically crying. It was just the best moment of my life. It was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, what was your sister and her husband doing at this time? Were they crying as well? I imagine it would have been a room full of emotion, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, the midwives, it certainly was.
Speaker 3: Sean was actually taking a video, so that was really handy, but he was, Yeah, he was there, and I mean it gets quite technical. I didn't want the baby to be passed straight to me because I wanted Sophie's body to recognize that she had birthed the baby.
Speaker 4: So she had a little towel on her chest.
Speaker 3: And they put the baby on her, but immediately she was like, oh, this is too much.
Speaker 4: So Goldie came to me and I had.
Speaker 3: Skin to skin and I also induced slactation, so I was able to breastfeed Goldie immediately.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would have been so special.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. I just felt like it was really important for me to bond with her. So yeah, it was all happening.
Speaker 1: And this is making me a bit emotional, like I just I'm such an EmPATH like I forgold Just imagine how what a relief it would have been for you to hold your child after eight years of trying to have a baby and holding your baby for the first time and being able to feed her. Yeah, from your body. Yeah, finally your body is doing well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my dad's doing something I needed it to do, which was really big emotionally for me. Yeah, she was born a little early, but she was big and she was happy, and it was honestly just a dream cometruy. I just could not believe that the moment that you know, we been fighting for for so long was actually there and I was holding our baby. Goldie is genetically mine and Kurt's baby, so yeah, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I often think about that because you know, something I think doesn't get talked about a lot is how much you feel like your body is failing you. And it is so frustrating because it feels like it's you know, this is what this is what I'm supposed to be doing. Why can't I do it? Why can't I do it? It's just like this. You beat yourself up so much when you go through that infertility. Yeah, so I can just imagine that that feeling of relief and joy and having that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Goldie is three now, Yeah, does she know that her auntie Sophie carried her? Does she know any of that yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah. We have a book that we read to her.
Speaker 3: It's called The Very Kind Koala, and The Kind Koala has, you know, a baby in her pouch and then once the baby comes out of her pouch, she gives the baby to the baby's mummy and daddy. So she understands that. She knows that her auntie, that you growing her Auntie's belly, and she's known that forever. I show her photos and videos and yeah, she understands that. I think she thinks it's very normal and it's not.
Speaker 4: But that's her normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is her normal. And I think it's a beautiful way to explain it.
Speaker 4: Coming up, it still doesn't seem real.
Speaker 3: It's I just cannot believe it actually happened, and even though he was still ivy, if it's an absolute miracle for me to be able to actually feel pregnant and carry him was something we never ever thought was possible.
Speaker 1: Then you decided to have a second child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we knew that we wouldn't do surrogacy again.
Speaker 3: Sophie and Sean were going to continue with building their family, and it's not something that we would ever expect them to do for us. Again, she looked at surrogacy overseas, you're looking at two three hundred thousand dollars. At that point, we were just so grateful to be parents and to have Goldie. But I had nine I think nine embryos saved. So we decided that we would transfer those embryos to me, and with no expectation that they would work. Of course, we'd had so many failed transfers. So we transferred an embryo and it actually took, so we were just over the moon, But unfortunately.
Speaker 4: That ended in a miscarriage, and that miscarriage was a genetic issue with the embryo. It was a complete fluke and I had nothing to do with my body. But that pregnancy gave us hope, which we'd never had, so we decided to try again, which resulted in a failed transfer, and then the transfer after that has resulted in my son, who I had three weeks ago, so massive turn of events.
Speaker 1: I had to bring this up because, you know, I after so many years, Yeah, to finally be carrying a baby, finally have a pregnancy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still it still doesn't seem real. It's I just cannot believe it actually happened. And even though he was still IVF, it's an absolute miracle. IVFS normal to me, but for me to be able to actually feel pregnant and carry him was something we never ever thought that was possible.
Speaker 1: Well, he's here, he is, He's here and happy. I'm sure Sophie was thrilled for you to be experiencing pregnancy as well.
Speaker 3: She was.
Speaker 4: She actually when he was born, and she came and met him the day was born. That's I think when it hit her.
Speaker 3: So soph and I were, I think in a bit of denial the whole time, even though my belly was growing, and it wasn't until he was born and she kind of saw me in the hospital and I think it kind of hit her then that, Yeah, she actually was pregnant at the same time. Oh wow, Yeah, so we were pregnant together. She had a daughter, Valley in March. So yeah, it was very special.
Speaker 1: That's special. Yeah, that's something that you kind of dream of as a sister, like being pregnant together, like having having babies together. I feel like that's such a normal process to think of, and to have that after so much time would have been a really special bond for the two of you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were so lucky.
Speaker 3: We have experienced so much together, but then to experience pregnancies together was really special.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And he's here now, Freddie three weeks old, making some noise in the background.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hiccuffing.
Speaker 1: Is Goldie a good big sister?
Speaker 4: She is a good big sister. She loves him.
Speaker 3: She's hit three at the same time. So it was a bit of an interesting journey there. But with regards of being a sister, yeah, she's great.
Speaker 1: And what about any advice you would have for people going through infertility and keeping going after all that time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, well, my advice is probably a bit controversial, but I think there's a lot of toxic positivity around infertility and trying for a baby, and I personally think that there's more strength in letting go than there is in continuing to keep killing yourself trying to have a baby.
Speaker 4: So I actually found peace in.
Speaker 3: Looking at what my life would look like without children and the positive, you know, life that I could lead with Kurt. It was my nightmare. I didn't the last thing I wanted was to you know, not have children. But I felt like that gave me some peace that if worst came to worse, I could still be happy.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's controversial at all. I think that that's actually a really wonderful take.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just know a podcast about you know, people that chose to live their life child free, and I really just found that so helpful that along with have other interests in your life.
Speaker 4: It's so easy for it to just.
Speaker 3: Consume everything, and it does anyway, but there's got to be something else that you're putting your focus on as well.
Speaker 4: It's too hard to do otherwise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's free. A good baby. Is he treating you well?
Speaker 4: He is?
Speaker 3: He hasn't really woken up yet, so I don't want to talk too soon, but he's eating and sleeping and pooling and doing all the things that you want your baby to do.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's it's a dreams so far.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for sharing your story. It's really remarkable to hear about. You know, what a beautiful thing for your sister to do for you, and what a way to bond the two of you. So thank you so much for sharing your story. And I'm so happy that you know you've got your two babies, and you know, even after all of those hard years, you're able to still have your family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're so lucky. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Diary of a Birth was hosted by me Kasenu lu Kitsch. If you like our show, don't forget to subscribe and rate. It goes a long way to allowing us to continue sharing your stories. This episode was produced by Ella Maitland and myself kasen You Luke, with audio production by Tina Mettalov.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm