Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Maya podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 1: I contend to this day that had I had to go in and test for that role with like the executives at EBC and with Patrick Dempsey, I wouldn't have gotten the part because basically I'm Pat's hate without healing and there with heels. I'm taller than him and he had a bit of a he loves me that we love each other, but he was like, what ye asking me? I was like, yeah, here, I am enjoying me.
Speaker 2: From Mamma Maya. You're listening to no filter. I'm Kate Langebrook. When actor Kate Walsh thought she might die from the brain tumor she'd been diagnosed with, she promised herself that if she lived, she changed her life. Well she did live, praise b and she did change her life, which included leaving Hollywood for perth in Wa almost five years ago after finding love with an Aussie man. I can't imagine not knowing who Kate whal she is, but she is a highly transformative actor, so know this. Kate is best known from her career defining role as Addison Montgomery Shepherd in Grey's Anatomy, making what's arguably one of the most iconic entrances in television history.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm Adison.
Speaker 1: Shepherd and you must be the woman who's been screwing her husband.
Speaker 2: In recent years, Kate's been splitting her time between Perth and LA filming shows like Emily in Paris, The Umbrella Academy, and her infamous return to Gray's Now the Australian film When TV industry has captured her heart, with Kate taking on a comedic role in the ABC series Optics, where she revisits the comedy routs she first explored alongside Amy Poehler and Tina Fay. I couldn't wait to start this conversation, Kate Walsh. I'm Kate Lanebrook. Welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Kate, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Well, it's such a delight to have you because you are so known to us in so many incarnations twofold. You're an actor whose choices I've realized I can really trust.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an amazing if I and I have traveled with you through the journey of your career to a large extent. But now my daughter is also traveling with you through your body of work, and that is quite incredible. She's non tame.
Speaker 1: It is this is like, you know what's interesting about that first five I'm easy to tears these days, so I might just cry because that it just is so touching to me. But it was it was also the theme of starting with grace that that was one of the beautiful things about the show when it first came on is that mothers and daughters families, I mean mothers. I'm going to genderize and say they you know, club their husbands on the head and made them watch initially until they have you know, our boyfriends or whatever.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 1: Something that was a show that at the time before that, before it was ever streaming, before there was the Worldwide Internet and all Instagram and and all the things. They you know, you watched it every Thursday night in America, and it was a multi generational show and things that would you know, mothers and daughters could bond over and sit and have really meaningful time and watching this this show together. So it was meaningful then and now there just keeps going. Like I remember when it first happened that a kid that was definitely.
Speaker 3: Not born I show.
Speaker 1: They're like, I love your regrets. Yeah Netflix, Oh yeah, yeah, Okay, I got it. Yeah, And now it just keeps going, which is so cool. I'm so grateful.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that will you say you're grateful, but it is also a testament to choices that you've made and the way that you have inhabited the roles. And for instance, when Grays started, which was two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we shot that in four two thousand and four, I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: And you made an entrance at the end of that first series, right, yeah, one of the most iconic character entrances.
Speaker 3: I know. It's so good. That's Shonda Rhymes.
Speaker 1: She just wrote that she wrote thirty seconds of television that I got more attention for than anything I'd ever done, probably in my entire career, even up til now.
Speaker 2: Did she know when she wrote that that that was going to be you? For instance, when they started filming the series, were you already cost to bail Addison?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Now, I was shooting other stuff I had. But Linda Lowe, the great Lynda Lowe, who was cast so many things, but she cast pretty much all of shondaland she knew me.
Speaker 3: She had cast me in under the Tusk and Son.
Speaker 1: This was back in the day before actors self taped or any of that. You went into casting offices or if you went on tape, it's because you were in New York and the show is in LA and you were always with a casting director. So you had the luxury of casting directors that really taught you how to act, that really were patient, that were really like, oh you didn't you might not get this one, but I believe in you. I'm going to bring you back, and I to bring you back and going to bring you back. And so she cast me none of the Tuscan Son and then was like, I have something for you. It's a recurring role on this new show. It's your perfect for it. And I was shooting something else. I was out of town. I was actually shooting something with Tim Daley, who I later worked with our private practice.
Speaker 3: I was shooting his show, The Fugitive, and so I was in Seattle.
Speaker 1: And then I came back to LA and went in the room to read, you know, for Shonda, for Linda, for her casting assistant John Brace.
Speaker 3: I think it was done.
Speaker 1: And then Peter Horton was written to Betsy Bears and then I got it.
Speaker 3: I was in those sides were like, oh, this is me.
Speaker 1: It's the perfect threading the needle of She wrote such intelligent, witty like it was a very quick like almost and the wit was almost like this kind of forties banter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you read momcom like William Wyler movie or something, and I.
Speaker 2: Had, yeah, yeah, a bit of rabitat tat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it had and so then that helped that like the character, and that's where it starts, and then you're like oh. And then I went into Linda Bass, who was the costume designer. We're like, let's make this woman like above him, and she put me all in. She's was like Gucci and something. I was just all, you know, the all the bitch and black from the East. We went to the East and came in and I tell you, yeah, I got cast. And I contend to this day that had I had to go in and test for that that role with like the executives at ABC and with Patrick Dempsey, I wouldn't have gotten the part because I'm basically I'm Pat's height without healing on and then with heels I'm taller than him, and he had a bit of a he loves me, we love each other.
Speaker 3: But he was like what.
Speaker 2: Asking me?
Speaker 3: I was like, here, I am enjoying me.
Speaker 2: Can you dig a ditch for her so that she walks in the ditch beside me so she's sure of them?
Speaker 3: And Ellen? Then they looked so perfect together. They were like both like, she's a little pocket pal and yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, Hi, I'm a giant dress from back East. I'm here to ruin your life.
Speaker 2: Because you've got a comedic background, which I don't know how many people know that I mean, but it knowing that about you and how it kind of informs your work, that you have a real physicality with your work, like even in Umbrella Academy, which is she's so arch and you know powerful. When you're approaching a character, are you working with a coach, are you working on the on the physicality at the time, Like when you're about to come in and you're you're going to be the mythical Addison suddenly appearing. Had you worked in your mind how that was going to feel for you or how that was going to look for you?
Speaker 3: No NDS.
Speaker 1: So here's the short answer is for Addison, I just it was all on the page and then I'd go and create with you know, the costume designers have always been super important to me. I think I had classic training of you know, Santai Slavskian method and emotional memory and sense memory and all this stuff, and then I have had so much train like then improv a lot of improva. We talked about comedy in Chicago, I did both straight theater and then comedy improv at Second City, at Improv Olympic, at the Annoyance Theater. Chicago was a great bastion of theater and comedy. I mean there was a mass exodus when I left Chicago in ninety five. It was like with Adam McKay and Will Ferrell was coming, Amy Poehler was in like co right, Cizens Jug They all, okay, there's this mass exodus, Matt Walsh, all these great comedic actors and writers coming to New York at the time. So anyway, that being said, I did a lot of comedia del arte too, in modern form with Tim Robbins Theater come the actors being in la and in Chicago Johnny Cusack's New Crime Company, and that was all about working on an image from the outside in as well. So I feel like once I have this now and I feel like at my age, there's a lot to cry about. There's a lot, there's a lot of I don't have to work on emotional moments, that's there. So all the stuff, unlike theater, it's like when you were seeing a player, like when can I get my shoes?
Speaker 3: Because it changes the way you walk?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, And so I love costumes and hair and makeup, and so Linda Bass was like, first of all the script boom, and then secondly that you work with a costume. I've always been very collaborative and they have been collaborative because I love it. And so we came up and you have this armor and you have this I mean this crazy. I just remember that callar and you just walk a certain way in these heels, and so it was you just fall into it. For me, that's easy. And the same with the handler. That was really fun for Umbrella Academy because Steve Blackman, who used to run the writer's room on Private Practice and then also wrote for two or three seasons on Fargo, which I did season one of, he called me it's like, okay, we wrote this character. It was like, meant the handler. It's not the original graphic novel.
Speaker 3: I added it. It's like a John Hamm type. We're not going to get John. She's like, do you want to do it.
Speaker 1: I'm like that's a first and like, let me read it. And then I read it, I'm like, I love it. And because it was the same thing, it was like over the top, but it was like so funny and so weird and specific and so Steve Blackman that I was like, don't if you don't genderize it, don't change anything. And I want and I was like, do you have They had no money at that time, and again I was only supposed to do a few episodes, just like Addison, but they had to win a costume budget.
Speaker 3: I was like, great, let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's okay, and then we like then that was Christopher Harkin and the costume designer and we made these iconic, insane beautiful and the milliner's on.
Speaker 3: That project were sane, like the hats and all the things. Was like, so's fun.
Speaker 2: Coming up. Kate tells me more about her incredible career, how she's faced rejection, which is an inevitable part of being an actor and where the success has changed how she handles it over the years. Stay with us. I'm struck by as as we're having this conversation, how good you are at relationships and you know you're talking about don't you think like so you talk about these people who are I mean, everything seems self evident in retrospects. So you go Shonda Rhymes and when I know her as a legend, but she wasn't a legend then starting as h Yeah, and these are all all the people that you're mentioning then were starting out in Amy Poehler and that whole generation are your create relationships seem to have laid you through this thrade of one thing going to another, even getting this spin off to private practice. He's a great compliment to an actor.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was massive. I was. It was.
Speaker 1: I was very surprised, and because I had done almost two and a half because I came at the end of season one and it was meant to only do five episodes, so I had already shot the five, but they aired it mid season, so that finale episode of season one was my first of the five. And then I had done another pilot for ABC, a half hour sitcom comedy that was meant to go and it didn't. I was like what oh, And then they asked me back to Grace to be a series regular. It's like yes, So that's often been the way for me. It's like, I, you know, would go in just as a guest and then guess what, I'm here to stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so getting rid of me. Yeah, but it is it's a great compliment, thank you, isn't it? And as an it feels really good because the nature of acting is often it's an insecure profession because you're dependent on writers and other people to create the work for you. So I think that a lot of actors inhibit this space of insecurity, and yet your choice.
Speaker 3: Is like masochistic.
Speaker 1: It's a very Yeah, you have to really have a lot of there's a little bit of a sociopathy to it. I think it's like you have to really believe in yourself. I'm almost I used to say that I would go into audition rooms and I would honestly that was weird.
Speaker 3: Where it's like something's weird with me.
Speaker 1: Where I'd sign in is when you have to go into audition and I'd be like, what are all these.
Speaker 3: Other people here for my part, do you know what I mean? It wasn't conscious, but I was literally kind of surprised.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, I thought this was just for me, you know, and then you get so much rejection that you really have to love it and want it. And then thankfully, gratefully, I've at a place where I don't choose to say pick me. And you know what I mean, a lot of people I work with, people I've known, or people come to me and they're like, hey, we have this idea or we won't.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like this sounds fun, let's do it, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but even in like in your private life to leave the United States and come to Australia and now you are officially, but that's a really bold choice.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean that was crazy. I mean it's a massive geographic change. I came here for to visit and stayed for a relationship because I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I think only love, only love would engender. Is really what must have seemed to a lot of people like madness at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the crazy timing of it, and you know, it was a guy here two days before the borders locked for COVID. I mean I got here on a Saturday, March fourteen of twenty twenty, and then really and then the borders lot they close the borders on Monday. I left New York City on Thursday, March twelfth, and I was literally calling on the way the airport, like is that plane actually taking off? Or if they shut down JFK. And it was just at the beginning of crazy COVID. So and then here I am almost five years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you loving it?
Speaker 3: Love it for me.
Speaker 1: I love the thing that's I mean, I have a great community of friends here now. But I also loved I just loved right at the beach in the Indian Ocean. I love the pace. I love that nature sort of eclipses everything. I like that I can kind of design my day somewhat by Oh what's the wind doing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Oh I got a south West. I was an easterly. Oh well, cancel that, mediu, I'm going for a swim. But to some extent, but I also, yeah, I needed that, Like my business is such an artificial time frame and form and unhealthy way to work, largely like to get that Gray's Anatomy product that was seventeen hour days, ten months a year, yeah, plus press plus you know, and that's really great when you're younger, but that that can't it's not sustainable. And then even when it goes, you know, a thirteen hour day, it's just like it's it's taxing. I did that for the better part of a decade, nine years between private practice and grays and it's a lot. And you don't you get so used to not having any you're just scheduled so totally. I always call it like you're like a high end mental patient, like someone's tracking your everyone. Yeah, you're in the bathroom when you get dressed, Wendy.
Speaker 2: You've got a hand, you've got a handle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, wonder I'm like, take this.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then also I imagine that when you have a profile, the price that you pay for having a profile when you're in this day is that you're always getting snapparazzied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that culture has, uh, that certainly shifted a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean that was my whole life.
Speaker 1: I mean that was the other thing about Gray's We all sort of came up together, even though Patrick had had a career before, and you know, Jim Pickens had a career before, but none of us had that kind of exposure that Gray's provided, and then we were all like whoa.
Speaker 3: So that was the.
Speaker 1: Whole change everything. Yeah, having paparazzi follow you around and you know that was really crazy.
Speaker 2: I can you do an old striding accent now.
Speaker 3: Not? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can only did if it's like a characater. I don't think so. I don't even have the courage to say I can. I definitely didn't do it in optics I did it. I was like, I can't handle it, like I I it's so much pressure. It's easier to do an English accent for me than the roster I would have to have a I mean, I think I can imitate someone, but I can't, like I think, authentically do it. I think I have some total inflection at the end.
Speaker 3: It's going up now.
Speaker 1: Like or hey saying hey a lot or yaana like that. Definitely some expressions, but.
Speaker 2: Because you know, you know, it thrills us, struandings more than anything else when people mimic our accent.
Speaker 1: Oh no, okay, it's terrible, Like you can't and the thing is like Ausie's and I'm not blowing spoke. There's such I've said it before saying they're such great actors and I don't know if it's because they have to train. Like I'm impressed by everything here and it tells you kind of how American centric I was. I was like, how'd you guys get that? Like, how'd you get that good design? How did you get that great restaurant? Like how'd you get that? Like you have that because we don't even have that. So I feel like people here, whatever this island nation is, it is obviously so massive and expansive, and there's a massive myriad differences between Sydney and Brisbane and Melbourne and Perth. But that people to compete internationally have to be They just train and they're so good. So I all that is to say, in Australia doing an American accent is much better, I reckon than an America.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure, but the time will come for you. So it's not enough which is.
Speaker 3: Your but it will come and I'll do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I can't wait to hear it. I mean, in fact, because now that you are around as well, in any incarnation, you wish to bring yourself to us. So you're you've got more Umbrella Academy coming Umbrella Academy.
Speaker 1: No, that's done. That, it's done, That series is done. I'm done pretty much with everything. Emily in Paris is going back to shoot their next season, but I'm finished with that unless they call me up and say they want Meddling back.
Speaker 3: But they have me.
Speaker 2: How herroneous to have to go to Paris.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love that.
Speaker 1: It's such a delay that again was supposed to be one episode and they're like, come back, and so that was great and I'm like, can I come back again? But They're like, we played out that storyline.
Speaker 2: Culture. That must have been very interesting working in Paris. Also, now you've now worked in Australia. What are the differences in terms of how crews work or actors work?
Speaker 1: Well, the cruise are phenomenal. The cruise for Emily and Paris are phenomenal, and the same with Australia. With Optics, it was amazing, especially Vic and Jenna their genius. I mean, they're they're this show is going to be very very big kind of and they're already they're just and so multi talented. They're writing, acting, just editing, producing, they just are in it and on it. That crew is amazing. There work so hard so quickly. You know we're in a culture now that they're it's now called content, which I'm like, no, but it's a show. It's a TV show, it's a comedy, it's a drama. But because of the aspect, the nature of the consumptive nature of ya TV and film, now I'm binging.
Speaker 2: You're feeding the monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a little unfortunate, I think, but I also participate. I just being American Primeval. Peter Berg's new series amazing, but you know it makes shooting in Emily in Paris too, and even Umbrella Academy and I love Netflix.
Speaker 3: I've done so much work for them, but it makes it.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh my god, we go faster faster, so you get like one and a half takes or something and then you're moving on. Or an Umbrella Academy with so much green screen and tech that you're often just doing a scene with the screen. But with the French Cruise and with the Aussie Cruz, they're so incredible. First of all, I like the schedule. It's so much healthier because they are like ten hour days, so I think they're ten yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then really there Yeah, so that's a union thing.
Speaker 1: That's just different in Europe and England and France, and I don't know about Germany. In Italy too because I worked there, there are ten hour days and they're just like, nah, that's it. And because as an actor you're coming in at you're getting a bit four thirty to get to the set at five thirty, and then so the crew do is if the crew starts at seven and then we're you know, done it, they're done at five, that's better because it's still you know, twelve or thirteen or fourteen hour day for actors. So it's just so much healthier and everyone, even though we're moving fast, it felt, particularly on this show on Optics, we're not moving too fast like you're we're efficient, but there's so much freedom, so much love, a lot of joy on that show. I think it's also it's so funny that the crew. It's very fun to see people trying to hold in their laughter until you hear.
Speaker 3: Cut oh laughing. So that's really that's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And do you think more comedy for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I miss it.
Speaker 1: I always say that, and then I end up doing these heavy dramas because there's both exist to me, I've always done both, but I definitely love both and this was really fun to do this role on objects.
Speaker 2: After this short break, we dive into her journey with a tumor, the surreal irony of being a fake doctor facing a real medical crisis, and what life looks like for her here in Australia. Don't go anywhere. Do you think that when you had your medical scare or you had the Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 1: Very movie of the week. It's very much kind of actress gets brain tumor.
Speaker 3: It was very well, it was strawdinary.
Speaker 2: And then you then did a play in wa Last gr Was it Last g where the character I think she has a brain?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, no, she had dementia. That was the other place. Yeah, that was in Gosh when I first got here. So that was actually in twenty twenty. It was a play written by shar Waite called The Other Place that Joe Mantello had done on Broadway, New York in twenty fourteen with Laurie Metcalf who who shar wrote it for. And I had just done a reading of it for Broadway dot Com to raise money for out of work theater crew and actors and workers during COVID they were doing these online zoom reading series and for fundraising, and I love the play so much. I'm like, wait a minute, we should do this here because why not? And we're in Perth and we only had like a six week sort of you know quarantine if you will. It was like six theater, but you know what I mean. So after six weeks people were we were living kind of like a real We were in a totally different matrix here.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like Sydney or Melbourne with constant like you know, we were really fortunate. So we were able to do this play and we did it in I think it was October. We have twenty twenty and the little theaters to open this little start, this little theater with We're not off a bready a Freemantle theater company, and did this play for like, you know, very intimate, like I think it was probably like one hundred people, audienced.
Speaker 2: And so local. So obviously there are people who are into theater. Would they like, oh my god, yes, do you get that response when you're out and about her.
Speaker 3: Like you live here? Why are you here? What are you doing, yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. And what do you say? What do you say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do?
Speaker 1: I live here, you know, partner and I were here and then I you know, I still have my place in New York, my apartment there, So I go, we were just there for the holidays, and I have it sublet and then delayful subla. She agrees graciously to sort of go in and out when I need to be there.
Speaker 2: You need to. Oh that's great. So you you love Australia, You love an Australian?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Very you did say, I think accidentally an interview once you referred to him as your fiance.
Speaker 3: We are engaged. We are engaged.
Speaker 2: We're in which means there'll be a wedding, and Australian wedding. Have you seen Muriel's Wedding? Have you watched that film?
Speaker 4: I mean, of course, iconic, that's like one of my favorite all time films. Like such such a great I mean that's what in the States, how we were introduced to Tony Collette and Rachel who are these genius Yeah, like, oh my god, yeah, just beautiful.
Speaker 2: So I'm just putting it out there in case you're looking for a thing I want to go to Pope. I know what your plans are. I know you're a very elegant, glamorous woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see, but yeah, so I'm here and I'm loving it, loving it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, we're loving you for a myriad of reasons.
Speaker 3: Thanks. Well, I'm hoping to do more work here.
Speaker 1: We're hoping to bring a show to you know, we did all this big push to get a studio built here in Western Australia in Perth, which is happening, and then I'm hoping to do a show here.
Speaker 3: We're hoping to.
Speaker 1: Shoot something, uh when it may or may not be with with you know, big syrups and geno and so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it must ingen to some curiosity amongst your colleagues and your peace back in the States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're envious. I'll tell you what it is. It's more like, why didn't we do that? We wish we could live there, especially with everything that's going on. I mean Los Angeles has had a time of it, oh my, between between all of everything politically, between that, oh my gosh, everything and COVID and then the strikes and then now there's fires. It's been devastating and uh yeah, so it has it's going to be a long time before that community recovers.
Speaker 3: It will, but a really long time just madness and a lot of it.
Speaker 1: The last place I lived in La Malibu was gone, So it's uh, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: The recovery proces. This is not just like that. That's this is going to be decades, really, I.
Speaker 1: Think so, and it will reshape the whole business and reshape I mean already people it was impossible to get insurance for fire and people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's really yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey, speaking of decades. One thing that I'm struck by is when you're reading any sort of retrospective or article about your career, and it's always like, oh my god. Kate Walsh is an example of starting a career later in life, and I'm like, what what you were? Really? I mean, you were working the whole way through. You really probably came to us to real sort of worldwide prominence. But you're in your thirties, So how do you feel about that as a descriptor.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't mind. First of all, I really don't care.
Speaker 1: Secondly, it's like, I have a lot of empathy or I understand why people would have that perception because I wasn't really in the zegos as sort of you know, we're alluding to until Grays. That's what sort of put me on a map in a massive way. And most actors, that's the story is that you're quietly working, working really hard. I mean, I've been acting since I was a kid, but professionally on like since I was you know, nineteen twenty, but in little ways, but always then, Oh it was like working, waitressing, working, waitressing working, and then like I did my first big comedy it was Drew Carey, and then I did. But even when I moved to LA from New York, finally I was I became aware of this community of actors and writers and directors that had been that make a really great loop. There's they were sort of known like this middle class like actors and writers and directors, but that half the writers that their movies were never made, but they get paid.
Speaker 3: For making these movies.
Speaker 1: Directors they get paid for making these pilots that they shot but were never actually picked up the TV series. So I was making doing a lot of stuff. It just was more shown in America or you know, it wasn't a global thing, and now it's. The business is so different because as soon as you do anything, it's pretty much global, you know. It's not like because of the streaming services.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So I don't mind it because I was like, oh my god, you.
Speaker 3: Guys are how do you make it a living? I've never seen your show.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, yeah, we make all these things and half of them don't get seen, and then that's how we make our living. So yeah, that's I think that's always a common misperception. And along the way there were all these gorgeous stepping stones were like, yay, I got the first, you know, studio film with Will Ferrell.
Speaker 3: Oh my, that's so exciting. I got my first comedy of the Drue Carrier. That's really fun. And oh my gosh, that's my first. You know, a lot of firsts.
Speaker 2: Do you feel secure in your place now?
Speaker 3: You mean as an actor or.
Speaker 2: Oh well, because they kind of commence your ith, aren't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I meant as an actor and artist. Yes, I think it's more existential now that I'm like, oh my gosh, I mean, look, I just lost my mom, you know, and that is massive. And also I think part of you asked why I why I live here?
Speaker 3: Or is it weird? People like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: There's also a lot of other life to live, and there's a lot of I have a lot of other interests and a lot of a lot of other things that give me great joy, simple things like cooking, like swimming, like traveling and diving, and conservation and my cats, three.
Speaker 3: Cats, and love. But so there's a lot.
Speaker 1: And then it becomes as essentially you're just like, oh my gosh, who knows how much time I have left? There's been you know, like I said, you get to be a lot of life has been lived, and you're like, whoa, it's a lot of loss.
Speaker 2: And you had the brush with mortality.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: That was before brand tour and after brand tumor, and it was very cliche. But I didn't know what No one knew what it was going to be. Whether I just remember the week before I went into brain surgery or a week and a half to bo Biden had just had died of raincou So it was like, who knows If this is it, I've had a good run. If not, I'm going to make a lot of changes and I kept that promise to myself. I mean a lot of the changes were I want to spend more time with all the cliche things, my friends, my family, and my loved ones, living life, not making work the sole focus, which it was. I used to say to people, if you want to see me, come work with me, Helbie working.
Speaker 3: You know. So I changed all that.
Speaker 2: You change all that, and the world has risen to meet you, isn't it interesting?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Very very That's just given me goose bumps. Actually, yeah, yeah, because I love the I love the thought that you can change your own narrative motivated by being in service to yourself, the way we often let ourselves be in service to other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has to start, everyone says, but your own oxygen has gone first, you start here. And then I also think in this global community that we're so aware of, and I would argue, like we have too much information, like ninety nine percent of it. We're powerless over that to be able to, you know, take good care of yourself. And I still that's a daily thing, like oh wait, because I get like that, I get wrapped up in somebody else's energy or problems or whatever I want to But even with that, just doing what I can right here, very simply to help people worry or whatever whatever the day calls. And that's one of the things I love. The luxury of living in Australia for me. You know, there's this expression make your plans and then God laughs or you know, or life happens. But here it's like life happens and then I make my plans. It really is like, oh what is so I kind of leave a ventilated schedule, if you know, if you will, for as much as I can, because then when I still go back to work, it's not that, but I leave some space to go what is life going to bring me?
Speaker 3: And what are the magic?
Speaker 2: And you know, yeah, yes, when you're being rewarded tenfold as you deserve to be for the joy that you have provided to others and that you actually know how to look after yourself like a grown up, which actors always hard necessarily.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, it's a very yeah, you have to consciously decide you want to grow up.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: A message for all of us. Kate Walsh, thank you for sharing yourself with us. Thank you, Kate, and I wish you every joy.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks Darling Chi Bella. We did squeeze a few more questions into our time that we had with Kate. If you can keep an eye on our beauty podcast, You Beauty, there's a special episode coming out all about Kate's perfume boyfriend, So keep an eye on the You Beauty feed. With popped a link in the show notes to make it easy, And if you want to see more of Kate's work, you can watch Optics on ABC I View. The executive producer of No Filter is Naima Brown and the senior producer is Grace Rufray. Audio production is by Jacob Brown and I'm your host, kateline Brook. Thanks for listening.