Speaker 1: So much.
Speaker 2: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 1: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on from mom and Me out. Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Broadnag and today we have a very special host.
Speaker 3: I'm Charlie Beck and I'm back in the studio.
Speaker 1: Hey Elvey, Welcome back, Charlie. Haven't seen you since you were here last time. I'm joking because we obviously sitting next to each other in the office.
Speaker 3: And just talk. We talk about all this kind of stuff just off the pod, so it's exciting.
Speaker 2: To be back talking about it for you guys.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a jam packed show today because Lily Allen has been in the news for traumatizing a small helpless dog. At least that's what the headlines are saying. There's a lot more to the story than that, and also hate watching Emily in Paris. Everyone's been doing it. But look, we're gonna have to have a different conversation. You and I are gonna have a difficult conversation about it out. Yeah, but for so making news today, something we have to talk about that so many people are buzzing about, and that is the fact that Oasis, a very iconic rock duo that has had many hits and many iconic songs, might potentially be getting back together for a tour. And why this is big news is that Oasis is made up of brothers Noel and Liam Gallagher, which you wouldn't really think that two brothers would have this much of a public beef scanning decades. But I guess this goes to show that you can never really hate someone like you can hate your own family. At some point, because they were a really popular band that are very public falling out and it all culminated in two thousand and nine. They've been having a feud for a long time, but it all boiled over when they were performing at a festival in Paris at a very public fight on stage, and then the next day there was a statement on the band's website from Noel Gallagher to say he could know no longer work with his brother Liam after a series of arguments, and said it was with sadness but relief to tell you that he had quit Oasis and that he could not go on working with Liam for another day longer. They've had a very back and forth of words over the last years, with people desperate for them to get back together, and then this week, on the anniversary of when they had dropped one of their albums on August thirtieth and nineteen ninety four, their debut album, which became the fastest selling album in UK history. They've posted identical videos to their social media pages hinting for the first time at a reunion, and a lot of different outlets are reporting that they're potentially going to pay a series of shows at Wembley Stadium and if they play these shows, they will break the record that Taylor Swift has just set for playing there for the most shows. So they haven't said yes yet, but they haven't denied it. They've been dropping clues like Liam Gallagher posts on x that he doesn't like being called a former band and people like that means you're coming back, and a lot of people are very excited. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I learned a lot over the past few hours reading about Oasis. So I am a little bit younger, and of course I know the songs, but I didn't know about this decade spanning feud between the two men. So I learned that Oasis was actually started by Liam and last minute he asked his brother Noel to join the band and Rockie Movely wasn't gonna go. Well.
Speaker 1: It worked for quite a while.
Speaker 2: It worked quite a while.
Speaker 3: Theyd it amazing until it didn't. So they released their debut album, Definitely Maybe, which you mentioned. It has been thirty years since that came out in August nineteen ninety four, and that same year, Liam threw a tambourine at his brother.
Speaker 1: Again, We've all been there. People call it the Kardashians of being ridiculous for like beating each other up as adults, but it goes to show that it can happen to anyone.
Speaker 3: Laura, I didn't know any because it gets better. The following year, in May, Liam brought visitors to the studio, disrupting Nol, who responded by reportedly hitting his brother over the head with a cricket bat. The cricket bat was later sold at auction.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sure for quite a bit of money, I suspect.
Speaker 3: And then the following year, in nineteen ninety six, Liam pulled out of their MTV Unplugged show, citing he had laryngitis. The band performed without him and Liam, who was supposed to be too sick to play, sat in the audience drinking his beer and smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 1: I mean an iconic move really when you think about it, I love it. But this is what fans have been asking for for years. This is the first time it seems like it is happening. So I guess keep an eye on their social media accounts, on their x accounts, on the Instagram accounts for the big reveal.
Speaker 2: Makes Please Time.
Speaker 1: Makes smar.
Speaker 3: So. UK singer Lily Allen was buried under an Internet pylon this week, but she's never finding back. On Thursday, Alan was speaking about animal adoption on an episode of her miss Me podcast. Alan said she and her family were considering adopting a Chiuaha mixed puppy very soon. During the conversation, Alan mentioned that she'd previously adopted a puppy they named him Mary, during the pandemic Ahaha. She was one of those one of those who adopted a puppy.
Speaker 1: I Justine, but some people got a puppy.
Speaker 3: I got one too, had a puppy and Mary was rescued from a dog shelter.
Speaker 2: She said, we actually did adopt a dog together.
Speaker 3: Already, but then I ate my passport, so I took it back with the home. That's a conversation you have over wine, not on a podcast, just saying, but let's keep getting into it.
Speaker 2: She said she was a very badly.
Speaker 3: Behaved dog and I really tried very hard with her, but it just didn't work out, and the passports was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.
Speaker 2: As you can assume.
Speaker 3: Then the backlash came flooding in. There were death threats, there were cruel tauns, there were even comparisons made between Alan and Adolf Hitler.
Speaker 2: Adamal writes.
Speaker 3: Charity Peter then published an open letter to Alan. They said, dogs are a lifetime commitment, Lily Allen, it's not fair to treat them like accessories, to discard when they're inconvenient. And then Alan reiterated that Mary was rey home to people that she knew within twenty four hours of the dog being returned to the shelter. She said, we couldn't meet Mary's needs, and her happiness and welfare were central to us making that decision.
Speaker 2: As difficult as it was, I've had rescue.
Speaker 3: Dogs pretty consistently throughout my life since I was four years old.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good at asitating a dog's needs.
Speaker 3: I've never been accused of mistreating an animal, and I've found this whole week very distressing. So Peter a bit it didn't back down. They actually sent a stuffed mechanical dog that could want to Alan.
Speaker 2: And her home. I had no idea, Peter.
Speaker 1: Just she probably saw it while she was sifting through all the handwritten letters of death threats and violence against her kids which she got and found this little dog. Yeah. Look a few things happening here. One is that obviously joking about not looking after an animal properly is pretty intense. And I think also that comes off the back of so many people adopting dogs at certain times, like during the pandemic when people were at home more Sometimes it would get dogs as Christmas presents, or like at times during the year when they're home they dumped them before they go on holiday. Like that's a really ongoing problem in so many countries like the UK and Australia. And I think laughing about it with the celebrity might make it sound like overly flippant and make other people think that it was an okay thing to do. But on the other hand, I think like it's also really hard because you don't want to be on those people who says like, oh, no one can say anything anymore, whereas like there are definitely some things you shouldn't say in public. But I think like it's becoming to the point now where this is why celebrities are so difficult interviews and they don't want to talk about anything and no one can have a conversation, is that they're so worried that every little thing they say is going to get chopped up and put into a headline with no context, which is what happened to Lily Allen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, I think it's into thing. I think there's like.
Speaker 3: Two sides of a coin with it, Like as she said after Sir Peter Kaye Bowen said you laughing when speaking about about any Mary and ruining this por Dood's life, and she clapped back and said, people laugh when they talk about painful things.
Speaker 2: So I get it.
Speaker 3: But I think she could have thought about what she said, probably a little bit more first before.
Speaker 2: She did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do understand sometimes when you're telling it a difficult story, you do laugh. Also, as someone who also recently had to get an emergency replaced some passport. It's very stressful, So I understand why that would have tipped her over the edge. Like obviously in the moment, she should have added more information about it, the fact that she was re home to people that they knew, and like they kind of follow through to make sure that she had a good home. They didn't just like leave her on the doorstep of the shelter and drive away. But you don't have that context. But also, as we were chatting about yesterday in our spill meeting we were complicit in this too, is that we had sort of seen a few of the headlines bubbling around and we're like, oh, we won't cover that story today because we're quite busy, but because we have other stories we need to cover first. But maybe we'll do it tomorrow and we'll do a round up of like wild celebrity pet stories like Kim Kardashian's pets always going missing when she like decides she doesn't like them. Maybe it was Kylie Jennis dogs, which one of them fifteen?
Speaker 2: Where are they?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's all kind of weird things. And then we were complicent until in the fact that like we hadn't sort of listened to the full interview and seen everything she'd said and also seen like what Peter had said, and when we looked into it today, you see a completely different story. But I think most people are doing that. They are seeing as Lily Allen said when she was on X and she wrote out the line and she's like, this is the line from the podcast that every tabloid has pulled out, and this is the actual story. But only about twenty percent of people who read the original Lily Allen got rid of her dog and laughed about its story, which makes her sound like Crola Deville's stepdaughter or something like that, Like she was coming across pretty intensely bad in the media coverage around this yesterday. Only about twenty percent of those people are then going to go read her full statement, and so that story just doesn't get out there.
Speaker 3: After the break, we have just seen the first taste of part two of Emily in Paris season four, and we don't.
Speaker 2: Agree Laura and Hi fight it out after the break.
Speaker 1: Well, today I woke up to a very exciting email from the Netflix Australia publicity team and it was the new trailer for part two of Emily in Paris season four.
Speaker 2: It's Laura Brodnick's Christmas.
Speaker 1: And it usually comes out at Christmas. Obviously we've talked about it before. I've moved on with My pain. It's coming out at a weird time of year, but we're making the best of it. So that's Netflix's new trick is to split all of their big shows into two different drops. They did it with Bridgerton, they're now doing with Emily and Harris so much.
Speaker 2: They're doing it with My Reality they shows. It's so rude.
Speaker 1: Well, in a way, I don't quite mind it, because now we're having two exciting hits of Emily and Paris coming out. And also we're playing into Netflix's hands here because the reason they're doing this is so they get two hits of publicity, which is exactly what they got from us. Because we talked about the first trailer, now we're talking about the second trailer. They're playing us like a violin. I have to be okay with it because I'm excited Family and Paris coming back.
Speaker 2: It is so gorgeous.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm in the sound of music any minute.
Speaker 2: Julie Andrews is gonna be running over that.
Speaker 1: Hell that was Austria. This is friends.
Speaker 2: Please don't kill my fantasy. Absolutely, yes, gay shoe.
Speaker 3: If you had someone an American girl Jennevie looking chic.
Speaker 1: Sylvia gave me a bit of a Paris makeover.
Speaker 3: Jenny from the blog of now Genji from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, don't encourage her. Where are you guys going lunch? I will talk you. You're always gonna choose her. She's having my baby, I know, but I cannot be the person who pulls your away from your family.
Speaker 3: If you're happy, I thought.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's Genevieve.
Speaker 1: Are we sure we like her? Mate?
Speaker 2: What brings you to Paris? Exploring some business opportunities? GVM me is desperate to acquire them. I'd love to get a meeting with Arch. Not going to Rome. It's not the first time you mix business with pleasure. You're actually quite good at it.
Speaker 3: For once, do something spontaneous and reckless and un emily just to have an adventure. So this is the same space. I'm gonna be honest. I haven't actually watched season four just yet. Every week and I go in and say, okay, I'm gonna watch it. I'm gonna watch it, but I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 2: I can't stand Emily, and.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of people agree with me that it's very divided. People either love or they either hate love hate watching. I'm definitely in that camp, and I've seen all the other seasons, but I think because it usually comes out of a Christmas I kind of run out of.
Speaker 2: Things to watch.
Speaker 3: I'm full from all the Christmas hamm I've eaten, I've drunk too much, and I'm just going to zone out and watch it. But right now I'm just like, I just can't deal with her face. But I did watch the trailer today and now I'm like, Okay, I'm ready to watch it, but of course still hate watch it.
Speaker 2: But we don't feel the same way.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to get angry at you. I did see you recoil just then as you said it, like I was going to launch across the table at you. I'm not angry, I'm disappointed. We're on different sides of the fence with this. First of all, don't force yourself to watch Emily in Paris.
Speaker 2: I like watching it literally so annoying.
Speaker 1: The show is there for pure enjoyment, and escaping. It's enjoyable. Yeah, So if it's not giving you that, don't force yourself to watch it. This is not something that needs to be in your film and TV diet of things you're consuming.
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 3: I like it too, and just like that, oh right, it annoys me like that. I love the over the top fashion, I love Mindy, I love Camille, I love the Men obviously, but Emily Cooper just gives me Carrie in and just like that, it's a bit too over the top.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't say that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, the thing about this is that, first of all, I don't understand hate watching at all. I don't hate watch anything. If people do and that brings you joy, then that's fine. But I can't get on board even that though. I can't watch something that I find cringe, or that i'm watching to hate, or that I'm watching because I know I'm gonna hate this, but I want to join in the conversation. Obviously, sometimes for work I get forced to watch something, but that's worth time, that's seen.
Speaker 2: That's why you don't watch reality TV one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent why I don't watch reality Emily in Paris is my version. I think of people who watch reality TV and have that escapism. I can't deal with adult woman and it mostly is that screaming and fighting and having all these big dramatic fights. I can't deal with that. But what I want to it's not I've been good or not. I watch the absolute trash, but my trash it needs to have this escape as and this like fancy wonderment of this girl walking around in these beautiful clothes in Paris. And I kind of do hate the way people completely right up this show. Look, I'm not going to throw down and goautline and be like this is prestige TV, this is excellent TV. It's not that. But it's a very frothy show with I think, really good characters and a way of keeping you drawn into this fantastical world that they've created of a Paris that most people don't experience but you sometimes do. And I think that's actually a lot harder to do than people think. And also, can I just tell you're not gonna like this, but I have to say it too. The reason you hate Emily Cooper is that you have some Emily Cooper in you, and she's really angry, not in a bad way. I do too. The thing is that she's almost like this character insert like she's a bit of a bland character. She's a little bit embarrassing, but she's this moment that we all have when we're traveling, or we're with people who think that are fancy than us, or we're just always say the wrong thing when we quite don't mean to and find ourselves in situations. And she is that kind of choogy, kind of like sometimes the most embarrassing sides of.
Speaker 2: Ourselves, that's just all put into one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that a lot of us don't want to think that we're that person. We want to think we're the cool, incredible Sylvie or the hilarious sort of really sharp and always knows the thing to say mindy, Like we want to think we're those characters, or even like Camille, I mean, blessed that girl. I'm pretty sure Camille that's her name in real life too. Is this is her first acting job and they were just, yeah, she's just playing herself. I don't think she knows the cameras on. She's just walking through the set being like this is my real life. I love her for that. It's like how no one wants to think that they're the carry every time people get angry about something that Carrie Bradshaw doush I carry because yeah, I am a lot of the time too. It's a reflection of the person you are. Absolutely, But I also think everyone's just so quick to write off Emily in Paris as being this like embarrassing show when it's not. I'm not saying that you're particularly.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying the show.
Speaker 3: I'm saying her, Like I love Daran Star, I think what he's done amazing, I love Paris Escaping.
Speaker 2: Is all that.
Speaker 3: I wholeheartedly agree with you on that. I just think Emily is a character is annoying. But also is that kind of part of why people are so attracted to the show. There's a reason we're all still watching it.
Speaker 1: It's meant to be that fish out of water thing, Like if she had seamlessly moved into Paris life and everyone loved her and she was screaming when she sees the Eiffel Tower still like, it wouldn't be that kind of storytelling element. But also, I actually think she's a very realistic character. I don't think she's an overly interesting character. But I hate when people right off this show is like it's so silly, I have no idea what's going on, or like all these people are interchangeable. I just watch her for the clothes, and I'm like, these people are not interchangeable, Like, yeah, I don't agree. Sylvie Philippine lroi bloo probably didn't say her name right. She would hate me and I would love it is such an interesting nuance layered character. And I find the fact that people are writing the show off as trash when you've got a character like that, and you've got an actress like that who's giving such an incredible performance and looks so sexy and amazing as well as being an incredible actress, and she's like I'm in my sixties and she picks a lot of her clothes and like, I'm wearing this, I'm wearying that, And I just think that's so incredible and to write the show off as being stupid when you have an actress like that in the show. But I think people know from the trailers that there was the Alphi Emily Gabrielle love triangle. This season's gone to Gabrielle, which is kind of makes me really sad, but maybe she just needs to get out of her system. I think people are so quick to write off shows like this as being dumb, even if sometimes I are a little bit dumb, because it's meant for enjoyment for women or people who love watching this frothy kind of shows, and it's closed and it's fantasy. And if there was a show that was not as well done or not as engaged in, but there was a woman being murdered and raped, we would call that prestige TV, whereas this sort of stuff, we're so quick to say it's ridiculous and there's no point to it, because it's there to make us feel safe and happy and not to make us feel traumatized. And I just think we need more TV shows that make us feel really safe and happy and give you joy instead of shows about women being murdered. That's all I'm going to say on the matter. Well, anyway, the data have mark in my diary. It's September twelve, which is when part two of season four of Emily in Paris is coming to Netflix. So get excited.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to the spiel today and thanks for having me back. We'll see you on Mama mea dot com dot au and back here in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye