Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting out Loud, the podcast where we bring you the news and the trends and the culture and what parents are thinking about. I'm Monique BOWLEI, I'm Amelia Lester, and i am Stacy Higgs. And today big news. We are on video on Apple Podcasts. If you want to watch our glorious faces you can. Who has time? Not me, but it's what the people want.
Speaker 2: You look so chic. Is that a video inspired new look for you? Yes, it is. Thank you for noticing you, age fashion editor, I'm into it. You do very gener lions.
Speaker 1: Actually, coming up on today's show, what have we got? Oh wait, did we say who we are?
Speaker 2: We did? Didn't we?
Speaker 1: Okay, you were just too excited. You were too distracted by the factor.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at our own face.
Speaker 1: Yes. So coming up today, apparently you need to perform seven specific acts to be considered a supreme adult.
Speaker 3: And we have the list, and look, we're finally going there. We need to talk about YouTube.
Speaker 1: And there's a new parenting rule out this week straight out of the New York Times. What if being a good parent is giving less shits?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And Amelia has this lunch box theory and it's just the perfect way to describe modern parenting.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to that too.
Speaker 4: But first we need to talk about the fact that the Parenting Out Louders did some boots on the ground journalism for.
Speaker 2: Us last week.
Speaker 1: So we obviously spoke about the Jessica hack, where all the parents are going around and just yelling the name Jessica when their children are mid meltdown. And so the Parenting Out Louders delivered they tried it and they say, yes, it works as well. And my favorite one is from our listener Amy Lee, and so she said she tried it and it went wrong, kind of went right, worked, but then went wrong. So she said it certainly worked, although perhaps not in the way I meant it to. My five year old became really confused, and then after thirty seconds of me calling Jessica, come here please, she proceeded to look at me with terror and screamed ghost, to which I had to calm her down from that, and she spent the rest of the night by my side. So be warned if you're doing the Jessica hack, they may think there's an intruder. Look.
Speaker 3: I don't know what this says about me, but I did the Jessica hack to my child in front of my husband, and he just looked at me like he looks at me most of the time, which is a look of like vague mystification and confusion, but choosing not to inquire as to what the hell I was doing, as to who Jessica was and if.
Speaker 4: She was a visitor in your house. Like even the celebrities are getting in on it now, right mod.
Speaker 2: Yes, So Jessica Biale.
Speaker 1: This week, celebrity Jessica Bill had this take on TikTok because this thing has blown up. It's been ubiquitous all over my feed, this Jessica three. So she basically came out on behalf of all Jessica's and said, hey, listen, I'm thrilled to be of service, but can we please not traumatize an entire generation to fearing Jessica's.
Speaker 2: Have a listen to what she said, guys.
Speaker 5: I'm not totally sure I feel about this like Jessica trend with moms and toddlers and now dogs apparently it's working for which is.
Speaker 2: Kind of amazing.
Speaker 5: I'm going to try it on my dogs because I feel like half these kids in these videos look petrified. I really love that if I can come into your household with my name that I share with so many other incredible Jessica's around the world, I'm sure and help you with your kids tantrum.
Speaker 2: But I sort of feel like these kids are terrified.
Speaker 5: They look terrified and hopeful that Jessica is not going to show up. Part of me says wants to say, You're welcome, Glad I can be helpful, Glad we all of us Jessica's can be helpful.
Speaker 2: And also, please, please, please.
Speaker 5: Don't make your dallar terrified of people named Jessica, because we're good people.
Speaker 2: We're nice people.
Speaker 5: We want to help you with the tantrum, but we don't want to scare the shit out of your kid.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's already too light because there was a story a couple of months ago we run it on Mom and Mayor as well about how Jessica is the millennial equivalent of a Karen, Like it's that nice, this is Jessica if you're a Jessica. So yeah, Jessica's are having a pr problem this week.
Speaker 3: And also, Jessica Biale has always been parenting and Jason before she had kids, One of my Roman empires is that she opened a kids restaurant in the West Village of New York called Oh Fudge, but the O was spelt au like it was French. Oh Fudge. But she did this again before she had children. What would possess anyone to open a restaurant for kids before they had children.
Speaker 2: That's cool? Is it still there?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: It was terrible, terrible failure.
Speaker 4: I mean probably on account of the fact you had no idea what kids would want from a restaurant. And the other thing I noticed in the reviews mods that we spoke about in our meeting, and then we said, we have to talk about this on the show.
Speaker 2: Do not go any further. We need to bring this to the listeners.
Speaker 4: Is that one of the listeners, Alex, and the viewers and the viewers and the viewers sorry, sorry, all welcome. She was saying she loves the show, and then said, side note, I love Monza's Adelaide accent.
Speaker 1: It's a thing, and you told us, I'm surprised it's taken so long to come up.
Speaker 2: Actually tell us what it is.
Speaker 4: It's because we're not hearing it. We're not hearing it from you. We just hear you as you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: I think Adelaide people say things like graph and dance instead of so graph instead of graph, dance instead of dance. But the big thing that we do is we don't say our els like I can't even say l like that. For example, how do you say how do.
Speaker 2: You say people? People? People?
Speaker 1: So you say people people with the people, but Adelaid people will say people. So there is actually a test sentence that will immediately out you as an Adelaide person. And I want you to both read this out loud of put it in your scripts. Okay, okay, well it's the sentence is there for you? Cage Amelia, you go first.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: People from Adelaide pull the foil off the vegetable oil bottle at Aldi.
Speaker 1: Okay, people from Adelaide pull the foil off the vegetable oil bottle from Aldi.
Speaker 2: How are you going to do this?
Speaker 1: Adelaide people would say that as people from Adelaide pull the foil off the vegetable oil bottle.
Speaker 2: I got it, I got it. I can hear it now, I can hear it. There's no ls.
Speaker 3: So when you lived in Melbourne for many years, did you find yourself because I asked this because moving between Australia and America, I have to deal with ours. That's my problematic thing because Americans pronounce ours and Australians by and large don't. So I'm always like code switching as it were when you lived in Melbourne, were you having to code switch by inserting l's where you really didn't want to insert them?
Speaker 1: My Adelaide accent is too strong. I couldn't do it. But the thing about the Melbourne accent is they say they don't say ease, they say a's, they don't The name Ellie becomes Ali, yes, Melbourne becomes Melbourne yes, and.
Speaker 2: We say always instead of always.
Speaker 4: I'm not I'm butchering, but they do say yeah, I always do that.
Speaker 2: It's actually beautiful, It's actually so much nice.
Speaker 3: But Sydney is a default accent. Yeah, I'm hearing here people in sitting pronounced all letters.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: The sentence that would out you as a Melbournian would be Ali goes to the deli for salary.
Speaker 2: Although that sounded a little valley girl. Yeah, yeah, American. Yeah, you live and learn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm noticing that something is happening on Netflix lately. You guys have probably got it too.
Speaker 4: Suddenly I'm getting served even on my adult profile, not even on the kids profile. Shows like Danny Go, which is like a really big YouTube series. And we kind of saw this start with like Miss Rachel when Miss Rachel moved across from YouTube to Netflix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I did notice this, Stacy, I noticed Blippy, Yeah, he has moved from well to Netflix now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're like starting to come across. And the one that was a bit of a tipping point for me is Salish and Jordan matter.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that?
Speaker 4: They're like huge ahead of them YouTuber's huge and I hadn't either until earlier this year because she's sixteen years old. Salish she launched a line of beauty products into Sephora, and there was like a mob of people like this girl.
Speaker 2: Her dad's profile is thirty.
Speaker 4: Five million subscribers on it and she's been on that since she was ten years old.
Speaker 2: She's sixteen now.
Speaker 3: And we started talking about this the other day in somewhat alarmed tones.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: For a lot of parents, YouTube on the hierarchy of entertainment for kids, YouTube is often thought of as below your programs that are on regular conventional TV or on regular conventional streaming service. Yes, yeah, And I am guilty of this. I sort of seen Netflix as a place where, well, at least it's professionals making the TV shows their narrative driven, they feature characters, they extend concentration spans. And I've sort of been very wary of YouTube because I see it as a bit of a wild West. So what does it mean when everything is becoming YouTube, when there's a youtuberification effect across all entertainment, Is this something we should be worried about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, YouTube's band in our house. It didn't used to be. It used to be sort of like videos of diggers and videos of planes, and the kids could watch in the lound room. And I never had a problem with it, And in fact, I read some study recently that's like seventy percent of kids are watching YouTube.
Speaker 2: Oh so innocent.
Speaker 1: But the turning point for me was a day that my kids were watching what I thought was Pepper Pig in the lound room. Instead of it being the actual children's show, it was this weird Frankenstein version with different voices, and the content was really disturbing and weird. It was violent, it was a little bit sexual in nature and I saw this with my own eyes in my lound room and I heard it, and from there, YouTube is a hard in this house. It was reported that this was happening widely. They were doing it with like sort of Elsa videos from Frozen, but I never read the reports. That didn't work their way into my algorithm, so I had no idea. And then there was the Momo Challenge. I don't know if you remember that in twenty nineteen, where there were reports of this really creepy character like coming into videos mid video on YouTube and telling kids to self harm. So that's why YouTube is a complete ban in our house.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of research around how susceptible kids are on YouTube to accessing extreme content, Like researchers found that it took thirteen clicks, just thirteen on recommended related videos to go from legitimate children's content on the BBC to children's characters like Pepper Pig or Elsa dying by suicide just and when you think about it, for the little kids, thirteen clicks is not very many.
Speaker 2: But I feel like.
Speaker 3: We all kind of know that that, like YouTube's a little bit lawless in that way. What I wanted to really get at today and get your feelings on is maybe this is just us being kind of hopelessly millennial about the new technology, because surely all through history, older people have been anxious about new forms of entertainment. There was panic about the wireless, when radio first came out, people were very worried about TV, then video games. Then in the nineties it was all about lyrics in rap songs. And I'm just wondering whether we are scared of you to in part because it's confronting to us.
Speaker 2: We don't understand it. We didn't grow up with it. Stacy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean when I was a teenager, I would spend during the school holidays, probably eight hours a day doing the sims, you know, like I was on a screen for hours and hours and hours. And I know that that was a big thing for us, was the Internet age. That's going to ruin.
Speaker 4: And then it kind of was like, that's actually okay, I'm out the other side of that, and that's okay. And I do wonder with this because you know, we can sit here and say YouTube's bad and we should never have our kids on YouTube. So many kids, as you said, so many kids, the majority of kids are using YouTube and a lot of it is legitimately good, entertaining or educational content. But is it more the platform that's the problem rather than the content, Like it's the it's the continuous loop and the continuous scroll that becomes the issue.
Speaker 1: I'm going to argue against your good content theory there, Stacy. Basically, the entire system that makes kids TV in Australia is broken, right, It no longer exists. So there used to be a quota of Australian children's content on commercial networks, but then it COVID. It was like all bets are off, don't worry about it, like, just broadcast whatever you can get, and they removed this quota and they have never reinstated it. So that sort of regulatory framework, which meant that Australian shows, like good quality shows had to be commissioned, and all these places that were making shows, like local writers and producers, they kind of all lost their jobs. It all disappeared because that sort of content production stopped because there was no one at the top saying this has to be made. And the other problem is like global streamers don't always want to commission Australian content.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that, and we should say that just as the democratization of all media has led to the amplification of marginalized voices and people who otherwise wouldn't have seen themselves represented in mainstream media, there are good sides to the lowering of the barrier for people to become content creators on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: This was an interesting study that I read about done in the UK which looked at all the social media platforms and their effects on kids, and interestingly, YouTube was the only social media platform that was reported to have positive benefits for young users, which I thought was interesting. This was a study that YouTube pushed very heavily last year when the social media band came in, because they were trying to say we're not a social media platform or an entertainment platform. In the end, the government determined that they were a social media platform, that they were subject to the same law that the other more typical social media platforms were privy to. But I guess, stepping back from that, what do we do about the fact that our kids preferred entertainment platform is also a social media platform is also a wild West.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the thing, and that's why it's feeling more gray now because even if you go, okay, well, YouTube's band in my household, I'm just gonna you know, they can watch things on Netflix kids, or they can watch ABC, you know whatever it is. Now Netflix is becoming more like the platform you were trying to take them away from, Like this show with the father and Daughter so Salation Jordan Matter. It's stuff like little challenges that they do or harmless pranks, but it's like fast paced, quick cut, very short episodes, really exaggerated and really over the top. And so it's kind of like, you know, we can be going, oh, at least the content on their safe, but that's becoming more like that as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what where do you go? Or is this not actually that much of a problem. I don't know. I keep going back and forth on it.
Speaker 1: I think I'm sort of grieving the loss of control over what kids watched. Like back in the day, it was parents selecting it. It was you would get the TV guide in the paper and it was okay, play school's on at two thirty, Bananas in pajamas on it two forty five, and there was somebody in the background of that actually programming it for kids. It was choice regular. Wasn't it like it's a pattern. It was that you got the same thing at the same time. It wasn't like this dopamine spike every time you went to something new.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The algorithm was some man in the eighties just called nerv probably going yeah this time, or play this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You're not going to like what the experts say about how to how to safely allow your kids to watch YouTube ones because I think it was you who mentioned before the idea of so many parents use the TV. They turn it on and then they go and get stuff done. They're folding laundry, they're putting dinner on, they're packing lunchboxes.
Speaker 2: Yet the experts say that with YouTube.
Speaker 3: You can't just leave it playing like you can maybe ABC kids on iView, and they stress that you've just got to be talking to them about what they're watching. You've got to be monitoring it, and you've got to be teaching them critical thinking skills, which just feels like another thing to add to the to do list. Alternatively, a friend of mine who is a school counselor, gave me a brilliant analogy that she ran by her own kids at YouTube I want to see whether you think this will work, she explained to her kid. Imagine there's a grocery store and there's all this fruit and vegetables in the front.
Speaker 2: Section of the grocery store.
Speaker 3: That's the front page of YouTube, like a lot of good stuff, a lot of educational content, a lot of documentaries. There's a room in the back that just has lollies and chips in it, just lollies and chips. Would you want to go into that room completely by yourself and gorge yourself on lollies and chips? And at first they're like, yeah, of course they would, But then they think it through when they remember how sick they feel after they eat too many lollies, and they say, I guess I need to monitor that. Then she asked them, what if some of those lollies and chips were poisoned, they were poisoned to make you feel sick, do you think that you should be let into.
Speaker 2: That room completely by yourself.
Speaker 3: Now, of course it's not going to go textbook perfect that the kid realizes that they need supervision. But I found that to be a somewhat powerful analogy to share with kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that works.
Speaker 4: That's the thing is it's like if we need to be there monitoring it and teaching them the critical thinking like you said, Like I just don't want to. I just don't want it, Like I just don't want to be anywhere near it to have to have that layer on top of it, like TV's meant to be fun and storytelling and education like you said, like we want it to be that narrative stuff like you're Blue E's and they saying it.
Speaker 2: I like that meally.
Speaker 1: I think that like it being junk for is a really good analogy, Like maybe it's just sometimes food.
Speaker 3: Just like Stacy's Junkie TV is a sometimes Yeah, we all have our guilty question.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He says a meme doing the Rounds this week that basically says to become a fully formed adult, you must complete the Seven Wonders. And I sent it to you straight away and I was like, how many can you get?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I opened this.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm clearly going to get all of these, and then I was like I don't like this.
Speaker 2: I don't like, I'm not an adult, I'm not the exact same.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, yeah, never mind, So I'm going to read them and I want you to tell me should we go one at a time? Okay, in order to become the supreme adult, you must perform the Seven Wonders public speaking.
Speaker 2: We're doing that one. So far, so good. Not being afraid of teenagers. So afraid of teenagers. Yeah, they scare me. Calling the doctor yourself. Not if I have to, I'm not, I have to. I don't like it, but I'll do it. Yeah. How about taxes? Taxes is my achilles here.
Speaker 3: I don't understand what they are and I don't want to think about them. And a little story as to how deeply and competent I am when it comes to taxes is I used to live in the US, as I mentioned, and I had an accountant in New York who did my taxes. And I went back to New York for the first time last year after many years away, and I had all these family and friends to catch up with. But do you know who was top of my list that I had to go and see was my accountant because if he stops responding to my emails, I go to jail.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that's how.
Speaker 4: You were in the best city in the whole world, and you were hanging out with your old account with my old accountant who has literal gremlin figurines on his day bless, bless.
Speaker 1: I actually think you should get double points then for that, Amelia, because that is extremely adult, unresponsible.
Speaker 2: Can you do taxes once?
Speaker 1: I know I'd get someone else to do that. I pay someone else to do them. I'm still not entirely sure what they are. I don't really understand it. Arguing without crying absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I resent this list. I think it's wrong.
Speaker 4: I cry every time, and I have to do that thing, you know, like Rachel Green and Friends, where.
Speaker 2: You're like, I don't see this as a weakness, so.
Speaker 1: Embarrassing having a normal sleep passion.
Speaker 4: Look, I would if I didn't have a child that interrupted it. I think I'm pretty good at it when that doesn't get interrupted.
Speaker 2: But you're an elite sleeper. Yeah, pretty good. I'm not bad. Yeah. The last one is the one that got me.
Speaker 1: I got all the way through and I was like, I'm doing good here, But this was my achilles heel. Having an answer to the question what do you want to do with your life?
Speaker 3: You just said answer? Did you hear that South Australian accent?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: What do I want to do with my life? I guess when I was a kid, I didn't know that you could just sort of ramble on into a microphone.
Speaker 2: I know. Think we found it. I think we found it. Okay.
Speaker 1: There was also an article from the New York Times this week that is blowing up because it could be the solution to modern parenting problems. I read it, I'm obsessed with it, and I was like, guys, we've done it. We have solved parenting. The headline was just three words parents consider underachieving, written by journalist Rachel Finzig. She says that we've cooked ourselves overachieving and we basically need to do less. I'll read you a little bit of it. I see you parents who have been killing at this school year. You were there for the Halloween parade, the Valentine's craft session. You made sure your child was dressed up for every school spirit day. While I admire your continued enthusiasm, I have very little spirit left. I'm asking for your support. I am proposing that we all just give up together. I'm just so tired and so bad at crafts. A dream of the day we can all take get down a notch without shame skipping an event here, ignoring a made up holiday there. What I need is a quorum, Amelia, Stacy, are you in oh?
Speaker 3: I found this so confronting Mond's you sent two confronting things that and the adults thing, because I realized reading this that I am the problem. It's me, Hi, I'm the problem. It's me because I got this while I was on a long weekend away with my kids, and I actually thought to myself, we would have to come home early from this lovely house in the country because the children were bored, and I was gripped with fear that they didn't have anything to do, and that I couldn't take them to activities, and that I couldn't sign up for things, and that I couldn't offer them enriching cultural activities.
Speaker 2: And I was like, we just have to leave.
Speaker 3: And understandably I was shot down on that idea, but it did make me realized that panic made me realize how dependent I am on overscheduling and overbooking to prove something.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the question I want to ask, Stacy, Why are we like this? Why are we so broken? Why do we think that parenting is a competitive sport.
Speaker 4: I have no idea, and I caught myself do something even more ridiculous than that.
Speaker 2: Yesterday.
Speaker 4: My husband was making the lunch box for my daughter the other day. We kind of actually, I'm gonna say we split it. We probably don't. He probably does it.
Speaker 2: More than me.
Speaker 4: But I noticed when he was doing it that he put the wrong crackers in, and I was like, they're not the one you wrong.
Speaker 2: Like, just was like this once she likes better than those, like they weren't wrong. And then I looked again and I'm like, you put a banana.
Speaker 4: But I spoke to her last night and she said she wanted watermelon, so I'm like, I wanted to fix it. It was ridiculous. I looked at myself. I caught myself doing it, and I was like, what are you doing. He's done a great job. This can just be left alone.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if our parents even asked us what we wanted a lunchbox.
Speaker 1: Therefore, never you guys had a lunchbox. I don't have a lunchbox. An apple thrown in a bag.
Speaker 4: And two dollars stuck to the front of a brown paper bag.
Speaker 2: Take it, get what you want.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that you brought that up, because it brings me to the lunch box theory.
Speaker 1: Before you get to it, Can I confess my sin as well? Yes, I feel that space.
Speaker 2: What about you? I'm the problem too.
Speaker 1: I might have talked about this before on the show, but the book week, I'm that mum. I'm that mum that goes too hard. And I made an enormous crocodile, a roll dull, enormous crocodile. I spent weeks on it, and the morning of I mean, obviously the crocodile is the best costume to school.
Speaker 2: Make it. I'm that asshole it was.
Speaker 1: I went to spotlight a sewed I got the sewing machine out. I made a giant crocodile towel. I made a huge cardboard head that I attached to a helmet. I know, I hate myself. I hate myself this arm and we needs it?
Speaker 2: Does I know? Do you know what awareness is?
Speaker 1: The first step eight is acknowledging our flaws. It's the first step.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 3: Look, if you're listening to this or watching this and you're wondering, am I part of the problem. I have a very simple test for you or maybe it's more of a theory and involves lunchboxes. Stacey, Funny you mentioned it. If you are that parent who thinks when you're putting fruit in, I can't just put in the whole orange, I have to cut it up and peel it and put it into beautiful little segments. You, my friend, are the problems. If you are that parent who thinks a banana is not an adequate snack, because don't you need a little bit of protein on the side and maybe some fiber and what in the little snack sized collection of cookies or crackers also go well with it, you are also the problem.
Speaker 1: That's how you know if you make sushi for the school lunch.
Speaker 2: You've done that, haven't you. Yeah, you do that every day. If you are the North.
Speaker 3: Korea of parenting, I hate to say it, but you've got to stop arming.
Speaker 2: Like this arms race has to end.
Speaker 3: And I want to know why dads don't seem to be as implicated in this because your story, Stacey, seems to suggest, yeah, if they're hungry, they'll eat eat it prevails.
Speaker 1: They seem to rise above and just go I'm working smarter, not harder here, I'm not doing it they take the emotion out of it. I don't know whether it's that, like, obviously we're making a big, sweeping generalization here, but generally, yes, it's the mothers in hetero relationship. You are cutting the fruit up and making things into little stars or doing little sushi.
Speaker 2: And like we're talking about the mums here, it's not just the mums.
Speaker 4: Hello to any of the dads that are cutting up star shaped rock melon like you are. You are welcome and safe here too. Like whoever makes the lunches their rules win? Yeah, exactly, baby steps. Can we just stop cutting up the orange? Is that where we start with all of this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, where we need to start is collecting up all the most overachieving mums a lah, miss dinosaur over here. And what if you all in a room and going, can we all agree we're dropping the bar, because that's the thing.
Speaker 4: We can drop the bar. But then the overachieving ones won't drop the bar because they enjoy fruit salad. I see you, and I know you're out there and you've got to stop. But some of them genuinely get joy from it. That's the problem. But we need to say you're dragging us down.
Speaker 1: What if we just channel mal Robins and say let them, because you're right, some moms really love it. They actually get a lot of joy out of it. And you just go, Okay, that's that's what you want to do. Let them, Let them do the fruit salad. And then we just find the mums that underachieve.
Speaker 3: And and our kids are going to get a lot of fine modus skills and dexterity from peeling the orange.
Speaker 2: That's right, we're putting challenges.
Speaker 3: I'm doing it again. I'm doing it again. I'm being a competitive mother. You're just trying to figure out how to get my kids ahead. Look, I think, as you say, mom's awareness was the first step. But we want to hear also from listeners slash viewers. Yes, if they've done the launch box test and how they fared, and also if you can do your own taxes, Yeah, that's important.
Speaker 2: Then your the favorites.
Speaker 1: I would also like to know if anyone has any advice because I'm a people pleaser of when you're faced with an overachieving parent, like how do you pore cold water on it? Or how do you differentiate yourself? Like I always I often think about what Mia Friedman says instead of saying I can't do that, she says I don't. So maybe it's oh, I don't cut up fruit for the lunch box or I don't make sushi for.
Speaker 2: The lunch box.
Speaker 1: Like how do we because I see a lot of overachieving mums in my circles, Like how do you repel?
Speaker 2: Or don't you do? You say? Let them?
Speaker 1: Let them?
Speaker 3: I think it's a good question, and probably look that question of why women are more susceptible to this, It probably goes back to the idea that women are taught by the patriarchy that there are limited and finite resources and that we're all in competition with each other, when.
Speaker 2: In fact that's not true.
Speaker 3: But that involves a lifetime of deprogramming. I think in the meantime we let them.
Speaker 1: Maybe the point we didn't touch on goes to Amelia's point is like millennial mums, who we're talking about, we are largely talking about millennial mums here were raised when we were growing up and we were at UNI, and we were told these messages of you can be anything and you need to achieve right, those messages aren't the same anymore. Gen zs aren't being told you can achieve all the time. That's why they have way better work life balance. They have way better boundaries around work. It's like we've applied the millennial lessons we were taught in careers and climbing ladders to parenting and that's like, yeah, so it's this always optimized it's this optimization culture. It's really prevalent in our generation, but not so much.
Speaker 2: In gen zs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and it does feel like this constant need to control, like you say, like it's the thing of the girl Boss era of to go and do this and achieve this, and it feels like you put the.
Speaker 4: Same into parenting. But then you realize that's not how parenting works. Like you can put in one hundred percent effort, you won't necessarily get one hundred percent return.
Speaker 1: The girl bossification of parenting definitely.
Speaker 3: That point, Stacy, parenting is not about maximum maffe.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't it and it's never the things even we spoke about on the show last week, you were saying your favorite things with your parents were like slow breakfast in the morning, and I said my favorite was going to the tip with my dad, Like, yeah, the things that aren't the things where they were high effort. It's these things that are kind of the little moments and yet we fixate.
Speaker 3: Well, actually playing that on the Froage game, I was like, I haven't seen this. Teenagers laugh like this, Yeah, long time.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's time for recommendations. This is the part of the show where we bring you things that we're loving.
Speaker 2: Sick. We might have been something.
Speaker 1: We watched or bought, and we would just like to gift it to you as a fellow parent in the trenches, Dacy, what have you got?
Speaker 4: So, after just going on about quality things to watch with your child, one of my favorite childhood Disney movies, which I feel like is one of those like deep cuts. I don't think a lot of people talk about it. It's suddenly on Netflix as well, so they're getting some good things as well as the YouTube stuff.
Speaker 2: The Swan Princess. So I do watch this. Oh what was it? I was obsessed with this.
Speaker 4: And I like, I literally have not thought about this movie, seen this movie in twenty years. And I put it on with my daughter last night and I was singing all the songs like they just came back to me. It's basically the premise is so it's Princess Odette. She's like kidnapped by this evil man as per you know how they all go, and she's cursed to turn into a swan. So she's a swan by day and at night, if she's on the lake, she can turn back into a princess. And the only thing that can save her is true love's first kid.
Speaker 3: That's a great premise. You can't find that on yous Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And her best friends in it are a French frog that's actually voiced by John Cleese, which is fine, cool, and.
Speaker 1: A puffin and a turtle. Like it's so random. It's the whole thing is so random, but.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: But my favorite thing about her is that when the Prince sees her at the start and says you're so beautiful, she goes and what else? And when he couldn't say, she said, you can prove your love. Then I'm out and left, And.
Speaker 2: I was like, yes, that was in formative for you.
Speaker 4: Yes, nineteen ninety four, this came out. This was a bit ahead of its time.
Speaker 2: Did you watch this and enjoy it more than your child?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Because it sounds you really she actually really enjoyed it. But I was like Wow, the animation is terrible.
Speaker 4: Like a you know, I must have thought this was groundbreaking at the time, but I'm singing.
Speaker 2: The songs and being like, ha ha, what about that bit? She's like, yeah, mom, cool, because.
Speaker 3: The only thing more stressful than making someone watch something you love in front of you is being the person who is being made to watch the thing next to someone who loves it.
Speaker 4: Yes, although the good indication we kind of we had to stop at twenty minutes before the end. She had to go to bed last night and the first thing she said when she woke up is, Mommy, we haven't finished this one, princess.
Speaker 2: So I think that's a pretty good review for her. Yeah, mine is so.
Speaker 3: I mentioned my weekend away and being very concerned that my children didn't have enough to do. But I had packed a card game. It's called Taco Goat Cheese Pizza, and I'm genuinely curious. Have either of you heard of this? I've seen this, Okay, I had no idea how it works. It's fifteen dollars it came out. Look, it's essentially glorified.
Speaker 2: Snap.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to pretend it's not. But here's what I will say about it. This was an intergenerational trip away. I saw and witness with my own eyes two teenagers playing it with their father and all three of them were laughing their heads off. Oh ages, that's nice. And you know teenagers are scary. They don't laugh at very much, but they love this game. And it says it's eight plus. I think it can be from around four plus with some modifications.
Speaker 2: And it's just very heartwarming and wholesome and fun.
Speaker 3: I didn't get I saw it in kmart, so like, you can get it everywhere, right, turn into a drinking game if you want some sort of adult entertainment. Okay for all ages, mons.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to come crashing down to earth now and give you my domestic recognition.
Speaker 2: You're a domestic correspondent. That's your baby.
Speaker 1: We love it, Thank you, thank you. This is going off in the Mum's Who Clean Facebook group? Do you have children who wet the bed or have sometimes accidents in their clothes? And you know how when clothes or fabric has urine on it, it has like a certain funk about it. The product that you need is called bioz. It's on the shelf in the supermarket. It's very nondescript, but it has an enzyme in it that breaks down urine. I can't believe I'm recommending this, But why did no one tell me about this when like they should give you a box of it when you leave the hospital with your baby.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I think? I think Jessica Beale needed this when she opened her restaurant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, biozet the ballpit for sure. If that's a problem in your house and you're just using like your whatever normal omo NA get on the biot change.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I've literally never heard of it, so I like that rack.
Speaker 1: That's all we have time for this week. I'm parenting out loud. I thank thank you for listening, thank you for watching along. A really big thank you to the team behind this show that gets it out, makes the videos, makes the audio, makes it all sound look great.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, and we'll be back in this speed next Saturday morning. Mom and Mere acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.