Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Parenting out Loud, the podcast for parents who don't always listen to parenting podcasts.
Speaker 1: We're here to get you up to.
Speaker 2: Speed on what's happening in the culture and what parents are actually thinking about.
Speaker 1: I am Stacey Hicks, I'm Amelia Laster.
Speaker 3: And I'm Claire Stevens filling in for Mons, who is off doing allegedly more important things Mum Maya's new show Unleashed.
Speaker 2: She is, but we're happy to have you and the human you're currently growing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, longtime fan, first time yeah host like I forgot the word for host.
Speaker 1: Of coming up on today's show.
Speaker 4: Are easy kids all they're cracked up to be.
Speaker 2: And there are two types of households and they both hinge on a word that I can't say without laughing.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how this goes and the case for watching TV with your kids. But first, in case you missed it, parents, picky eating is not your fault. So as a picky eater, and as someone who has a niece who is a very very picky eater, that would be Luca and Jesse's daughter, friend of the pod, picky eating is something I think about and talk about a lot. So I clicked really fast when I saw an article in the New York Times called There's a reason American kids are such picky eaters. And basically an historian studied the rise of picky eating and has argued that it's not a phase, it's not evolutionary, and it's not your fault. It's manufactured. And it's manufactured by the fact that we now have more processed food and we're obsessed with like snack culture. So her research shows that children in the eighteen hundreds, and I'll try not to laugh, so I say this, we're eating oysters, organ meats, bitter greens and loving them. There was no such thing as kids food, So this is an extract, she said. A group of children in eighteen thirties Boston spent their pocket money on raw oysters, dowsed them with vinegar and pepper, and ate them with rapture.
Speaker 4: That's amazing rapture.
Speaker 1: That's because they didn't have goozman and go no.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that. We will get to that. A girl in eighteen seventies New York adored a salad made of tiny crabs that she ate by the spoonful shellin.
Speaker 4: Or oh I don't like that.
Speaker 3: No, it was normal for a child to cheer when she saw turnips growing in the garden, or for another to call cabbage his delight. Also, families ate the same meal. Yes, yes, we've heard that's really important, and telling me no one snacked on anything, so when it came to meal time, people were ravenous. But then processed food exploded, so sugary cerealsckage snacks. Companies started marketing directly to children and sort of suggesting that children needed more bland foods, things that were beige and easily likable, So we were kind of trained to think that children were fussier. Stacy, does this ring true, this kind of sociological idea of why we have picky eaters?
Speaker 2: It makes sense when you put it like that, But I also think part of it is just that kids are hardwired. Like you and I were talking about that earlier, you could do the exact same thing as someone else in terms of, you know, you hand them a piece of steak to munch on so that they're used to that, and you give them lots of greenspurst whatever. It can kind of end up the same. I feel like it's kind of like personality, like you could move the dial a little bit. But I feel like a fussy eater might be a fussy eater no matter what you do.
Speaker 3: Anyone who has witnessed or who has a fussy eater, yeah, knows that it is. I look at Luna, So my niece. We gave her cottage cheese the other day. She almost vomited like it was the texture. I think she thought it was yoga. She felt tricked and she whereas Matilda, my daughter, will eat sardines, she wills and she is happy. I'm like, I'm gagging, what is wrong with you? And Jesse and I, identical twins, have done the same thing with food, and they are two different kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder whether it's also just yes, they're saying that they need more bland foods, and maybe that's to blame, like we've just made them too used to those things. But I think it's almost that we give them a lot of choice now as well.
Speaker 1: You know how somewhere along the.
Speaker 2: Line we were taught you have to give them autonomy and say like would you like this banana yogurt or this musli bar?
Speaker 1: So that they've got lots of choices, you asking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it's just a musli bar, they're gonna be excited about that, in the same way that those kids were frothing over oysters.
Speaker 4: That's the best you've got, that's what you'll do.
Speaker 5: I do feel like in the nineties growing up, a musli bar was an exciting thing. That was yeah.
Speaker 4: And if it was a chocolate chip chiwi musley bara.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I always feel like saying when we see these historical stories is kids in the nineteenth century also died a lot.
Speaker 4: That's such a good things like.
Speaker 3: Scurvy, and I just wonder were their children running around sculling oysters? Sure, but the children who were picky like me, maybe we didn't.
Speaker 4: Survive such a good point exactly.
Speaker 3: So I'd like to challenge the historian.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about a phrase that you hear a lot from new parents. I'm sure you've both heard it before. You ask new parents or how are you sleeping, and you're kind of expecting that they're going to tell you how difficult it is. But I've noticed that a lot of new parents these days instead kind of light up and they beam and they tell you, oh, we're sleeping, great, we have an easy baby.
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard people say that?
Speaker 3: And it's so annoying. But in my head I'm like, you just wait your baby. They haven't.
Speaker 4: In my head, I'm thinking just wait.
Speaker 5: But then I read this piece on Mama Mia this week that got me thinking a little bit more deeply about how we call some children easy and I guess by implications some children difficult. And it was a very moving piece by an author called Ayushi the Core and the piece is called The Emotional Cost of being the Easy Child, and it has this unforgettable first sentence. She says, the first time someone calls you easy, you don't hear.
Speaker 4: The warning in it. And what she goes on to argue is that easy children do get a lot of rewards.
Speaker 5: The rewards are attention, validation, people telling them how delightful they are, how agreeable they are, and they grow up learning that the more they stifle their own emotional needs, the more validation and approval they get from the people around them, and that can turn out to have these really pernicious effects in adulthood, As the author says, you can become extremely competent at life while feeling oddly distant from desire. I just love that concept of feeling oddly distant from desire. So I want to ask you, Stacy, because I know this really hit a chord for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did.
Speaker 2: This was one of those stories that when you're reading it, you feel like glass is shattering in your head about your understanding of yourself. You need to explain this to me, yes, because this did not resonate for you in the way it did for me. And I think that's because I'm a people pleaser and you're famously type B, which we've spoken about.
Speaker 4: Mostly do not please the people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell us, no, you do, but just not in the same way.
Speaker 2: The main takeaway from me and what they were talking about is yes, like you get rewarded. There was this great quote about you're rewarded in a hundred small ways, like you spoke about you get a gentler tone, fewer lectures, that subtle social prestige of being called the one that gets it. But what you don't get is as much attention, as much reassurance. And the main thing is that you don't experience conflict as much. You don't ever really get to practice disappointing someone and having to in that and that just being something you have to deal with. And that was my main takeaway is that for people who wet the easy child, which I think I probably was after reading this, is that you really struggle with any kind of conflict or disapproval later on in life, like you hate it.
Speaker 5: Do you draw a straight line from that to were you told as a child, Oh, you're so easy, you're so you're no trouble.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think I was always seen as you're such a good girl, you're such a high achiever, you do all of the right things. And not that my brother wasn't a difficult child by any means, but I think it's probably something that got put on me that has kind of followed me to the point where I think that that just does play out.
Speaker 1: And it reminded me a lot.
Speaker 2: There's this other article I saw the other week in the New Yorker about fawning. Have you you know the the concept of fite flight freezer fawn and that if you're a fauner, you're basically trying to ingratiate yourself to someone who you want to earn their approval. And I could definitely see how people were easy children then grow up to be fourness to kind of fit in and make sure that they're still holding that label.
Speaker 1: Did you feel that you're not long?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were aggressively clear.
Speaker 3: My mum would always laugh because in primary school, if somebody was mean to me, I would be overly nice to them. That was my only response. So there was a girl who was bullying me, and apparently I don't remember it, I must have been like five, and I told her she had beautiful hair, and then she was like clean, so nice, and that has always been my like, am.
Speaker 5: I but that's brilliant, Like just tell someone who's being awful to you that they.
Speaker 4: Have beautiful hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I like it is a good strategy. However, it does mean that I absolutely hate conflict and I'm not good at it. I feel like I had no choice for it to be an easy child because mum had four kids under two and a half, so two sets of twins, and you couldn't there was no room for the most difficult out of the four of us was Jesse, also a friend of Pod, and she was not difficult by any means, but she'd state what she wanted and then we'd all just kind of follow Jesse. But because of that, when it comes to any kind of I see things as conflict that my husband does not see as conflict.
Speaker 4: And he because you're always scanning.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I'm scared, and I am constantly scared of getting in trouble. It's my worst fear getting in trouble from strangers, even just stating needs. Like if somebody kind of asks me if I can do something, it's sort of only occurred to me in the last couple of years that I can say no.
Speaker 4: So how is this informing how you parent? Then?
Speaker 5: Because obviously you had a very happy childhood and you're still very close with your parents. It's not as though you're saying they did something wrong, But is there a way that you want to parent differently?
Speaker 3: The lovely thing about parenting that I didn't expect is child comes out as them and they are not a mirror image of you. And I look at Matilda and I'm like, oh, you are just you know what you want. In terms of personality, she's like my husband. She is an extrovert, which is so unfamiliar to me. At the park, she's like going up to kids I look at her and think it is my job to encourage that and to not get her to minimize herself because she's freaking hilarious. But it is interesting to then see Jesse's daughter, who is more of that people pleaser, doesn't want to upset anyone, and to see that contrast. But this is the tricky thing. I do think part of it's innate, part of it's an eight. It becomes self fulfilling, Like you are kind of pegged as, oh, thank god, you're conscientious, you're quiet, you listen, you follow instructions. I think for me, like probably there were some personality things that came out later that weren't that that then had to be kind of suppressed because I was chaotic and disorganized, but I was always trying to mask it because I was like no, no, no, no no, I meant to be the good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then there's things in there, like she mentions that you will be praised for being less needy, and that scene is a really positive thing. But what that does is say to you, don't ever say your needs, and you're kind of are pushing down things that probably are naturally something that you would do to see that.
Speaker 4: Do not lie to me. Are you walking around all day at work with a little voice in your head that's whispering, do not.
Speaker 3: Say your needs? And then I close surprised when other people do it, and I'm like, I'm not mad at you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what she was saying when she was going through like what the costs become when you're older, And it's like they're subtle, Like these things are not things that are ruining our lives.
Speaker 1: Like that's very clear.
Speaker 5: And also like on the flip side, we should say people who are constantly telling you their needs are tedious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't direct, so it's fine to be the way you are. But one of the ones I though it was really interesting she spoke about the over apologizing, So even when things that are not something that you've done, you will apologize just to ingratiate yourself to someone. But the other one was that you struggle to be even slightly inconvenient without thinking it's a catastrophe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: So I guess the reassurance for people who have children that are not considered easy is that they will ask for what they want when they're older, and that's great, So we just need to roll with whatever they are.
Speaker 3: That should be encouraged.
Speaker 2: Okay, little bit of a gearshift now, But I want to talk about this headline I saw. Sometimes you just see one that puts into words things that you've been grappling with your entire life. And this article fro him self was called did you grow up in a fart pride or a fart shame household? And if you can already hear me giggling, you know which one I'm from. It's probably quite obvious to you what is what, but I'll just spell it out for you. So, if you're from a fart pride household, a fart is just a fart. There's no reaction from anyone, and they might even be seen as funny. If you're from a fart shame household, it's not that you were like forbidden or like shunned from the house if you let one slip out, But it's more that you were told that it was something that needed to be minimized or controlled, or you had to be considerate.
Speaker 1: It was seen as.
Speaker 2: Bad manners if you were doing this in front of someone else, I am.
Speaker 4: Dying to know. Are you which one were you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see, I think it's gendered potentially, if you grew up with like all girls, it might be a different thing. But because I had brothers, yeah, I would say, because it was we were evenly scaled genderwise. We were fart neutral.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were.
Speaker 5: Very much a fart shame household. I don't even like talking about it, I.
Speaker 1: Know, and I can't believe.
Speaker 4: I don't think you should talk about it.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't like anything about it. Stacey is clutching an emotional support pillar. I don't even have one. Maggie Dent, who is an Australian parenting guru. I love her work, but one part of what she writes about that I just feel very reluctant to go along with is she says that farts are a great bonding mechanism.
Speaker 4: Particularly with boys.
Speaker 5: She says a well timed fart can lighten the mood, diffuse a conflict, and be a wonderful bonding connection with a son. And she says that one specific scenario where you might try this is you're a mum, your son's just gotten up, he's grumpy, he doesn't say good morning you are meant to.
Speaker 4: And I quote this is a quote.
Speaker 5: I would never use this phrase drop a fart to lighten the mood.
Speaker 4: I'm not doing that, Maggie. I think you're brilliant. But nope, he.
Speaker 3: Gets so mad to see I need boy parenting advice because I'm eighteen weeks pregnant with a boy and I am looking That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for you.
Speaker 5: But I'm not gonna follow that advice. Are you going to follow that advice from Switzerland?
Speaker 3: Well, this is the thing among children. I'm very like fart liberated around children. Yes, this is a shared sense of city. Yes, this is how we can.
Speaker 1: We're on the same level.
Speaker 3: But I'm always like, don't tell you do.
Speaker 2: You know what's the worst part is that, as you were saying about this being a bit gendered sometimes, is if you marry into a fart incompatible household, that your marriage.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I've.
Speaker 2: Come from fart shame into fart proud and that is a very confusing dynamic, especially for our daughter, who sees one be very okay with this and one who just never does it.
Speaker 5: I think it's a very important question to ask on a first day.
Speaker 1: They do say, it goes quite deep like.
Speaker 2: There were mental health experts in this piece talking about how your family is unspoken.
Speaker 5: Called mental health experts that part they're busy.
Speaker 2: Said, the unspoken farterals in parts of your childhood can be a bigger representation of how you handle embarrassment, how you express being vulnerable, and how you'll get along with potential partners if you are.
Speaker 3: I reckon the easy child never farts and then you become you don't issues as an adult because you need to. And I reckon men. You know, women just always have got issues. It's because we're holding in our parts.
Speaker 1: It really is, okay, so we all need to adopt.
Speaker 5: Okids eating oysters and we're farting all the time. Yes, what great advice do you give on the show We're not your regular parenting podcast?
Speaker 3: Finally, a piece of parenting advice that doesn't make me feel like I'm failing. An opinion in The New York Times was titled just let your kids watch TV already and hell yes. The argument is we've been thinking about TV time all wrong. We've conflated screen time, which is a very isolated, singular activity, with TV time, which was always a group activity, and gave us a shared language, a way to relate to people. It was a shared experience. This essay suggests that we should be using it as a way to bond with our kids, rather than sort of outsourcing parenting to the TV.
Speaker 5: No, but see that makes me feel bad, Like that's how I use the I know I have to watch the shows with them.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually felt very smug because Matilda was a little bit sick this morning and we watched a lovely episode of Bluey together. Was on my phone. Yes, but the person who wrote this essay doesn't need to know that. So she was so cuddly. She was sucking her up. That's what I love about watching TV with a kid, if they get cuddly.
Speaker 4: Particularly the Bluey episode sleepy Time.
Speaker 3: Yes, sopid, they are really cuddly. She did ask questions. She's engaging with it, and she's like, mum, where's the mummy gone? What's that? Who's that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: She's asking things. I'm like, this is an enriching experience for both of us, and I don't have to move, and that is something I'm gonna need pret drop of. Actually did not.
Speaker 4: I didn't it perfect.
Speaker 3: She would have really liked that. She would have loved that. Amelia. What's your attitude towards TV as a parent?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: I love TV, always have watched a lot of it growing up. And I think that what I struggle with a bit with this advice is that notion of this is another thing on my to do list, Whereas TV was a way for me to fold laundry or to scroll my phone, both equally valid activities, and now I have to be able to also sit down with the kids and watch the TV with them.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: I think there's some really amazing ways in which TV can teach children about the world. I was thinking about this after the very sad passing of James Vanderbeek from Dawson's Creek recently, and it got me thinking about how important shows like Dawson's Creek were in establishing my place in the world when I was a kid, and I do worry that in a very diffuse, algorithm driven world, kids are not getting those kinds of like universal monoculture TV viewing experience as anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're just getting sat in front of Netflix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's like shows like Friends. We're a friend's household. So Friends was the show that we always watched, and it almost becomes like another family member, Like it gives you a language that you will share, you say in jokes off that show. And I feel like now screen time and TV time, as you said, have been confused, and so we think that we have to set limits on all of it. But as you were saying, we didn't have limits on We just always had the TV on, Like I remember every day after school I'd watch Round the Twist, Johnson and Friends Heartbreaker. Joe's catchphrase like whatever was on, you watched it. We kind of have demonized TV, but really, as you say, there's so many ways that it like connects you to the world, particularly if.
Speaker 5: You're watching it on like a big screen in other words, not an iPad, like on a big screen in the living room with people coming and going and parents setting the next you answering questions. I think that experience of watching television can be really special.
Speaker 3: Well, even as you say, like if you're folding the washing whatever at my place, because we live in a tiny apartment and everything is essentially in the same room. If I'm folding the washing, the TV's on just there. The amount I know about the Wiggles, the amount I know, and Matilda and I converse mostly about the Wiggles, But then I do genuinely think that it is a bit of a social glue that connects her to other kids, because then you go to the Wiggles concert and she's like Simon Lucky like she knows Wiggles says he yeah, we go through them every night.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit of overflow of Wiggles. No, but they're great.
Speaker 3: They all very different account and so you know, you go to a Wiggles concert, you go to daycare, and there's a way I think it actually makes her feel safe, Like when she sees like a bluey T shirt, she's like, you're like me, and it's kind of a shared experience because you're right, it can feel like we don't have those kind of shared monoculture. It's very it's rackshed, whereas TV is kind of the one way that we can share that. What you were saying Ameilily about feeling like it is just another thing for you to do. I completely agree with that, and this demonization of TV feels really bizarre that you like, basically the only way you're allowed to have your kid watch TV is if it's educational in some way, or you're optimizing your bond with it, whatever it is. And I'm just so sick of this idea that every moment of your kid's life needs to be optimized. Yeah, there was a comment on this article because I always go through the comments on parenting articles. It's so fun. And the woman who wrote it, the mum, had clearly written out everything that she had done that day prior to her kid watching Poor Patrol as a bloody like defense thing of I'm not a neglectful parent. We drew and we went outside and play. We did all of these things. And one of the comments said that is not an exhaustive list of every thing you can do in Chicago with a child, and it's like, why does it have to be? Why can't kids unwind?
Speaker 5: Like I think that's You've just hit on another really important point here, which is that just like adults, kids reach a sensory limit or they're exhausted by a long day, and just like we like to flop down in front of the TV or we like to scroll Instagram, which they can't do, thanks Anthony Alban easy, then.
Speaker 4: That's what the TV is for. Yeah, gives them a little bit of downtime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she was saying that as well, like that, sitting down with him and just watching him watch the show. It was just the act of them doing nothing like that's enough. It doesn't have to be that the show is particularly educational. It was bonding for them. But they were watching Poor Patrol and she said it was just funny to see the moments.
Speaker 1: He laughed. What he thought was funny about that show?
Speaker 5: Is there anything better than a kid genuinely cackling?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something that you're like, I don't really get it. Yeah, I love that for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you miss that if you're off in the next room doing laundry, which is very much how I use the TV as. Okay, there that's on, so I can go and do this, but really, like we can just chill and watch Poor patrols.
Speaker 5: Okay, And maybe the whole thing is like, as you suggested, Stacy, screen time has become such an umbrella for actually very different activities.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we need to just start being a little bit more unabashed about children loving TV. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now it's time for our recommendations the things we are loving Sick this week. Claire as our host of honor do you want to go first?
Speaker 3: Yes. So at daycare they are doing a very cute activity where the kids have to bring in their favorite book from home and then they all read it together, very very cute. I'm like, is it ever coming back? Like all of that, but it reminded me of Matilda's favorite book that we are obsessed with. But I'm also recommending it as I'm always asked, like whenever I come into the office, people say, oh, I've got to get a present for a one year old or two year old like kind of like baby toddler, and I've got to get a present. I want to get a book. What books are we doing? And this is the one I always recommend. So it's called paper Dolls. It's written by Julia Donaldson.
Speaker 4: I love her.
Speaker 3: So it's actually a few years old. I thought it was very recent, but I missed it. So Julia Donaldson is the author of the Gruffalo, Room on the Broom, Snail on the Way, all the all the classics. She is also the auntie or great auntie of Lola Young the single And that's just like a fun fact. Thank you for that. I heard a funny conversation about where the Lola Young Success is nepotism because I've got Julia Donaldson and I don't I don't really think so. But this book is so cute because Julia Donaldson apparently whenever she writes like the Gruffalo and once you know this, you see it, she writes it as a song, and that's why it might be nepotism. The Lovely Young Thing. But anyway, she writes it as a song, and you can see all the rhythms.
Speaker 4: That's why it might be. This is not an Apple Martin situation.
Speaker 3: It's a few generations. But when I read this with Matilda, we've turned the whole thing into a song. She knows the entire thing, and it's a really cute story about all the things going into the little girl's memory and all the things she remembers about her childhood, and they're very familiar kind of fixtures of childhood. So any little kid who reads it will be able to kind of personalize it. But then the other fun thing, we've actually made our own paper dolls, which is really good parenting for me. Like it's grafts.
Speaker 1: It is sitting in front of the team.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, not at that time, No, and it's just become this whole thing. So that is the book Matilda will bring you. That's the book I want to recommend. There's also another one called Animal Laophabet and it's the cooler like pop up like things coming out of their amazingly designed and that's really Donaldson as well. So I just all her books.
Speaker 4: She's so clever.
Speaker 5: I actually just read with my kids last night, The Highway Rat. Oh yes, yes, yes, just an excellent read. And I've recommended on this show before that if your kids are school age, this is an elite recommendation. If I do say so myself. They get sent home like really boring books for phonics, like just teach them how to read. But Julia Donaldson has written phonics based learn to read books that you can buy in a set. They're British, but you can have them shipped over. I think we have the technology now and they're just so much better. Oh, because she's so that's so interesting that she writes some as a song that explains why they have such an amazing lilting quality.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, well, speaking.
Speaker 5: Of singing, my recommendation this week is it's a bit of an art house movie. I don't know if you've come across it. It's quite neat. I'm a bit of a cinema bar.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's called The Sound of Music.
Speaker 1: Oh is that new?
Speaker 4: It came out in nineteen sixty five.
Speaker 1: I think I'm part of it.
Speaker 5: I don't think I'm going to issue spoiler alerts because I think if you don't know the plot, yes, it's on you, It's on Disney. Why did I decide to watch it with my children because I was reminded of the power of a movie night when we talked from the show about Miranda Carr and how she doesn't let her children have any screen time except for occasionally they might snuggle up and watch a movie. And for some reason, I was thinking of that quote, as I think of inane celebrity quotes all the time. For some reason, I thought we should snuggle up and watch a movie tonight. And obviously the platonic ideal of the snuggle up movie is the Sound of Music.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say you chose it because the dad's hot.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's no Dick fandom.
Speaker 5: As regular listeners to the show, No, Mary Poppins is my fifty shades of gray.
Speaker 4: But I found it. I haven't seen it since childhood.
Speaker 5: First of all, a lot of bangers in this one, lot so many bangers.
Speaker 3: That soundtrack was my top Spotify songs because Matilda's Matilda knows all the words.
Speaker 5: Brings me to cheers. You cannot watch the movie without singing, which will annoy your children. And I remember Mom's talked when we talked about Mary Poppins, how setting her kids down to watch it is really hard because it starts with the credits, because you know how whole movies are, and they're exceptionally boring, like you're learning about who the second production designer is, and your kids like.
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 3: Is it not action?
Speaker 5: But I'm recommending it because A the songs are bangers, but b in these complex and difficult times, I found it extremely moving, Like I can't stop thinking about it.
Speaker 4: It's such a good movie.
Speaker 5: Like and that the power of music in a time of political tumult. I'm just saying, oh beautiful, it's relevant to the times. And Julie Andrews, what an absolute icon that woman is.
Speaker 1: She really is, Okay, I'm going to rewatch.
Speaker 6: And the villain of the woman the dad was dating, Oh she's not really a villain as a kid, and then when I watch it, she's just like, I think she's living her best life.
Speaker 5: That woman is like sipping champagne in every scene of the movie, and it's made it very clear she's not interested in children, which.
Speaker 4: I cannot blame her. There are a lot of them in that movie.
Speaker 2: Well, my recho this week is something that I kind of stumbled upon by accident, but it's really working, which is to let your kid record a secret video, which sounds bad, So I will explain what I've made by this, So you know how like if you've got relatives into State or whatever, and you try and get your kid to come to the phone and speak on FaceTime and they're just like, what are you doing? They're not here, I don't care, and they run away, and that is embarrassing for you when you want them to be an easy child. So my daughter asked me one day, my brother and his wife live into State. She loves them, but when they're not there, when you're trying to do that, that doesn't always go well. And she said about her little friend that lives far away now as well, can I go to my room and make a video of my room for Goldie, her friend, and I said, of course she can. That's fine because you know how you can just open an iPhone without opening anything else, Like you can just go to the camera, they can't get anything. She went and recorded a ten minute long video, My very quiet child chatted for ten minutes in this video and showed her little friend her whole room, and it just sparked this idea. I was like, Oh, she can do that for her uncle and Annie as well. So now she goes and makes little videos.
Speaker 4: This is like MTV cribs. I love it.
Speaker 2: Just tell them about her day without the embarrassment of you there like hovering, like being like tell them about when you did this, Like they can just do it themselves.
Speaker 1: They feel really cool because they're like hold a phone. They never get to do that. And she just loves it. And they're the cutest things ever. Like they obviously not secret. I watch them. I've watched them multiple times. You can choose whether you want.
Speaker 2: To strictly keep them private, but then your family members love them or they're you know, your long distance.
Speaker 4: Pro'll call them secret videos to her. Yes, I love that, Yes, So.
Speaker 2: It feels like she's getting to do something really special. So I would just recommend, like get them to film on what they say.
Speaker 3: And it's also like the kids version of voice noting yes, because it's just one way. Yes, it's like, by the way, I don't give a crap what you're doing. Yeah, look at my bedroom and they don't they don't care.
Speaker 1: I love that, Yeah so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great idea.
Speaker 1: Try that. That's my re coach.
Speaker 2: Well that's all we have time for on Parenting Out Loud this week. Big thanks to our team, Junior content producer Tessa Kotovich, audio producer Leah Porges, our executive producer is Sashtanic and the group EP is Ruth to Bine.
Speaker 1: And also thank you to Claire.
Speaker 3: Thanks feeling in this week, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Have a great week and we will be in your feed next Saturday morning.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 4: Mamma.
Speaker 5: Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.