Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: I am pregnanty.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Hello Bump.
Speaker 2: We're making pregnancy less overwhelming and more hopefully manageable. I'm gracery Ray, I'm pregnant for the first time and at week seven, I vomited for the first time.
Speaker 1: No, I'm young a Pittman.
Speaker 3: I'm a former Olympian, I'm an obs and guyany trainee, and a mother of six small humans.
Speaker 2: Each week, Yano and I will be holding your hand week by week through the mysterious, perplexing, and sometimes nauseating miracle that is pregnancy. Week seven, Okay, what size is the baby at?
Speaker 1: I like this one. It's the size of a blueberry.
Speaker 2: This week, I loved the blueberry because you can actually get a lentil. We did this at home. We got a sesame seed, a lentil, and a blueberry, and I'm like, oh, and that's a big jump from lentil to blueberry. Yes, it could also be a pearl or a mini marshall, a peanut, M and M.
Speaker 3: Really, it's ten to fourteen millimeters, so I mean that's more than a centimeter now, so that's to me, that's substantial point something there.
Speaker 2: So what are those sea monkeys they start to grow? It was like that, which is ironically what it also looks like. What is happening to them? What have they grown in the last week?
Speaker 3: So developmentally, your baby's brain is now even more formed. It continues a whole of pregnancy, so one of the th we see lots of milestones in other areas of the baby, but its brain actually is from wadigo. So that's why it's important from a protective thing with alcohol and things like that in pregnancy to start thinking really closely now about what you're taking in. A little one's face is now more defined. So it's even got lenses in its eyes that are starting to develop, which is nuts considering it's it's fairly early in pregnancy that it doesn't need to see for quite a while. And the little one's liver is now starting to make some red blood cells.
Speaker 2: It's interesting what they actually start to develop first, like a brain, little nubs, nostrils, Is this correct that? Like respiratory is one of the last things that they develop.
Speaker 1: To be at a qu developed.
Speaker 3: So the whole system starts to develop, but the alvoli, which is a little air sax inside the lungs of what you need to sustain that oxygen exchange, that's very, very late. So that's why pre term babies really struggle with breathing. And we often offer steroids for babies under thirty four weeks because they actually have what's called nos and facts affectant, which is basically a little it's a product that props open the alveola to help them breathe. So obviously at this gestation, guys, unfortunately there is no way your little one.
Speaker 1: Would survive outside of you.
Speaker 3: But it is a discussion as we get through these episodes that we will talk a little bit more about. But yes, amazing that all these structures are already developing so early in pregnancy.
Speaker 1: What happening? What's happening to me?
Speaker 2: And in terms of what's happening to us, I'll go first, I've started vomiting. At week seven, I did start vomiting. And it's always by definition morning sickness. I was the absolute definition of morning sickness. It was in the morning, it was before eating. Yeah, I would wake up. I wasn't quite fatigued. Oh that, you know, jet lag feeling. We spoke about it. I was waking up at like three am, very needing to eat, and then that's when i'd vomit and sort of have like interimittent having to have toast, and then I'd vomit and sort of do that, and then I'd push through the first or three hours of.
Speaker 4: The morning and then I could function.
Speaker 1: Ish ish, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's the big word. Yeah, And again, so much variation in pregnancy. We have some women who even at this stage, have to start seeing their doctor more frequently because they can't keep anything down. And so while we say, and I know everyone said this before, but while we say morning sickness, we definitely have people that have all day sickness, all night sickness, unable to cope with anything, sickness.
Speaker 1: And it's real.
Speaker 3: And so I think until you've experienced it, it's very well to go, oh, yeah, she's pregnant, But no, for some women, it is unbelievably debilitating and unfortunately only gets worse. So, yes, what did you do to help through that couple of weeks?
Speaker 2: At this stage, it always kind of knew I hadn't gone to a dark place about it, which we'll get to when it's It's not that it was exciting, it was like, oh, this is the thing that you see in the movies. It was definitely worse than I thought it was going to be in terms of it was only vomiting in the morning, but the nausea was all day.
Speaker 3: And wretching as well. Like, sorry, someone's pregnant, listening to that probably just make them ratch.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I even list the things that made me ratch that could make people feel sick.
Speaker 4: What worked? Twisties? Twisties?
Speaker 1: You know, whatever you need right now.
Speaker 4: Is do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I do want to talk about the guilt of what you're putting in your body when you are feeling nauseous, because we hear all these things about having folate and making sure you're having this vitamin and this fidamin this vitamin, but then all you're able to eat, and at time of recording, I'm twenty eight weeks and I'm still a lot of veggiemite and cheese on toast. But there is a lot of guilt about what you're able to put into your body. Do you have any helpful tips for women who might be feeling guilty, don't.
Speaker 3: Feel guilty, and it's very eating and I know it's easier said than done, but ultimately this point of time, it's a survival. And like we say, it's not always going to be like this. We know that sometimes for some women it is the whole pregnancy of my mum unfortunately, but you know she was growing in an Olympian so you know.
Speaker 1: She had to kind of little legs there to show she.
Speaker 3: Lost eleven kilos in pregnancy. She was that sick with it so and I always remember her complaining about it. When I was pregnant, I didn't have it as bad that hum No, and then when I had the twins it was shocking. So the guilt has to be removed because you can't. You can only do what you're doing, and there's enough to worry about just getting up in the day and not vomiting or finding ways obviously there we're going to go through the medical ways to help with vomiting. There's lots of things, So I think the key there is reach out. If your noise is so bad that you're not coping with daily life, it's time to see your GP because there is actually things we can do and by the time you wait till thirteen or fourteen weeks, when it's out of control, You've lost weight, you're feeling sick, you're dehydrated.
Speaker 1: It's not going to hurt the baby.
Speaker 3: By the way, guys, I'm just going to put that in straight away because we always have women saying, well, I have an eaten for you know three months, have I hurt my baby?
Speaker 1: No, you haven't. The little parasites they will steal everything from you. They'll steal your coups in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're taking it from you. Is that why some women like lose their teeth because they've stripped.
Speaker 1: The cows everything.
Speaker 3: They're vitamin D they strip out your stiff at your iron levels.
Speaker 1: So even if you're eating.
Speaker 3: Adequate red meat, you will still likely have lower iron in pregnancy. But that's what they're there for, and that's why you can be reassured that if you're eating twisties for lunch, so be it, because oultimately you need to eat something that's going to reduce your nauture and hopefully by the way, I'm a big believer in bananas, so I might be in Australian Banana's ambassador, so I apologize the throwing of them, they'll love me. But it's actually more than that. They've got great FOL eight levels, they've got great B six levels, they've got good levels of other nutrients and vitamins to actually allow you. So I actually think it's almost the perfect natural remedy for nausea, but also has some good support, great fiber and vitamin C and things to actually make sure you're supporting yourself. So you do your best you can, you put in the bits of the food when you can, and other times you just need.
Speaker 1: To give yourself a break.
Speaker 2: Is this normal?
Speaker 1: Normal? I have a funny one.
Speaker 4: This one great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to be honest and say if it happened to you. But your nipples change color often around this time in pregnancy, and it's interesting and that's mainly mainly because you have an increase in again in those hormones of pregnancy, progesterone and esugen, but they actually also affect your melotone and your melanin. Not melotone that's what makes you sleep. You need some of that too, your melanin production, which is the pigment making hormone responsible for skin color, and so your melanosites live all over your body, but they're concentrated in places like in nipples and eventually a linear albur if you get the cu the lineup and dagger tummy, and so quite often people say around this time they noticed dark nipples.
Speaker 4: Mine didn't go dark, they started changing shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, maybe it was a few weeks later, But how I've described them is just like they just look keen for.
Speaker 1: Headlights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we will already be starting to have fullness in your breasts because they all have that breast tissue starting at some point to get ready to obviously sustain pregnancy. We're also laying down more fat already, guys, so we do have that. You know, in early pregnancy, even though the baby's still small, you are starting into on a little bit of weight, and that's largely for if you do have nausea and things like that, you will sustain and be able to use the fat stores you've got for baby and for protection around whether the growing pregnancy will be around your abdomen.
Speaker 2: Is this where you can also get a bit of water retention because I noticed, like I wasn't drinking. So sometimes when you're fake, like if you had a big weekend, your face is inflated. I did notice my face was like a bit more swollen, just more water retention, and it felt like is that normal?
Speaker 1: You can thank the progesterone again for that. Everything.
Speaker 3: It's called the laxicity hormone because everything gets more relaxed, and we'll talk about Varico's veins and things like that in coming episodes, but it is the one that responsible for your hips opening. Everything sort of relaxing and dropping down, including the walls in your vessels and then lik fluid out a bit more.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Unfortunately, bloating in your tummy and everywhere is something that you will likely contend with in pregnancy, even now at seven weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, what can we do? What's something on the to do list? What are some practical things apart from twisties?
Speaker 3: This is the time we need to have definitely done your blood tests by so. I know we've mentioned it before, but now it's time you should have had your dating scan.
Speaker 4: I have had my dating scan.
Speaker 2: I went to We talked about it in a previous episode, going to a women's specific ultrasound, which everyone recommended. Along the way, like I was seeing a nutrition as she was like, they're the best in the business I was seeing my GP. She's like, everyone goes there, even the gynecologists and obstetricians.
Speaker 4: They go there.
Speaker 2: And when I went in, I can see why that was because they just were so good at taking you through the steps. They knew the anxiety that each new parent would have and how to cross those things off the list.
Speaker 4: So I walked in, they said, we.
Speaker 2: Might not see the flicker of the heartbeat, we might not see this, it could be too small, but what I'm looking for is this. And then she basically put the wand on me and was like, Okay, I can see that. I can't remember if she said fetus, but she's said I.
Speaker 4: Can see it. There's just one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is important.
Speaker 4: We're going to have a good scan.
Speaker 2: And then that was the first ten seconds of the appointment and then you just get to like relax. And one thing I did want to ask is if you spend a bit too much time online. There is some commentary about internal versus external ultrasounds and people saying you can say no to an internal, which I didn't say no to it because I think they're the medical professionals and they are checking, so they're checking for your cervix, making sure it's closed and long, that you're not going to have pre term labor is. Any of those tests can be done externally.
Speaker 3: The reason we do internal scans is often if we can't see enough externally. So at twenty weeks, I would strongly recommend an internal exam. Okay, so that's a few weeks away, but that is when the cervix can really be picked up. At this point, your cervix is likely to be long and closed. So at eight weeks gestation, if they can see everything they need trans abdominantly maybe not as important, but again, when it's external, they can't really closely. I'm using my fingers now to show really closely show the crown rump length, and that's what we want to know.
Speaker 1: How old is this little baby?
Speaker 3: Because would you believe all babies at this gestation are the same size. So it's not until like week twenty and onwards that we actually start seeing some variation between babies and when we can look for things like growth restriction and things like that, so it is a more accurate internal exam. I certainly had it because I'm like, well, it doesn't bother me, you know, it's just and it's not uncomfortable guys. I mean some people might say, you know, if you've got faginismus or any problems with your pelvic floor, you might might want to avoid it. But they put a little condom over the like it basically looks like a skinny tube. They gently put it against the vagina and then they push it inside, so it's very gentle.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Worth better than a peraps me like, I wouldn't even put it in the same category.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I don't think you're going up that far.
Speaker 3: Well, at the old time probaty needs to go to the point where they can actually see the pregnancy. So it goes in very gently, it comes out the same and you do get very good, robust pictures of your baby. But I can tell you if you go to one of those great old sound companies, if they feel like they need it, they'll do it. They won't do it unless they they think it's required. But I think it's important to why do we have a dating scan? So firstly, yes, is the pregnancy viable? Is there any the concerns we need to see? Is there one baby or as there more? I can tell you when I found out I had two heartbeats.
Speaker 1: It was a bit of a shock at your dating dating the two sacks as well, Grace.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest, I actually scanned myself before and kind of already recognize it was possible, but they confirmed their.
Speaker 4: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: No, don't do that at home. Don't do that at home.
Speaker 3: In fact, on that note, no dopless please, guys. Okay, we will talk about it again later. So the other reason to do it is we're not thinking.
Speaker 1: About it yet.
Speaker 3: But if at some point in your pregnancy we need to birth your baby early, you need to know what gestation it is, because there's if we're going to talk about all the embryological changes as your baby grows through to term, which is when you're roughly between over thirty seven weeks, but if there's a chance your baby comes early, or for example, even more importantly, around that viability age, which is twenty three weeks in pregnancy, it's really important to know if you're twenty two weeks and four days or twenty three weeks in four days. And so that's why that to ultrasound is essential.
Speaker 2: Does it matter when there's a sliding scale of two days either side.
Speaker 3: Okay, so when you're dating your pregnancy, if you have a really regular period, we actually still use your your cycle rather than the ultrasound unless there's a variation of more than three days. So if there's a huge variation or someone has any regular cycle, we'll use the dating scan, but we like them to kind of marry up. So it's nice to know when was your LMP your last mental period and does it correspond on is it the same as your dating scan within two to three days.
Speaker 2: I think it's also important to say in the dating scan they can see a heartbeat flicker, but they never you can't hear it.
Speaker 4: You don't expect to hear it, which was good.
Speaker 2: They told me that sort of first stump that you're not going to get that moment of hearing that, but not for a few weeks.
Speaker 3: No, we don't want to because it's it's ULTRASI it's very safe in pregnancy, but there's certain wave forms and things that you don't want to use until later in pregnancy. So it's actually you can see it and visually see it, and so they don't want to. Yeah, that's way outside the scope of this and I'm still learning it to be honest. As a trainee, I've been wonderfully lucky to have done an ultrasound course already, but it's something that's not safe to do at that point in pregnancy, which is why we don't do.
Speaker 2: It for the talkkit this week. This is a toolkit that was given to me by other people, and I just I think I want to bring it up because it didn't work. So people will also tell you it's ginger.
Speaker 1: Okay, it does work a little bit. It's about it's all those old wives tales.
Speaker 4: Though, yeah, I don't know. I've got a buye to be quick ginger.
Speaker 2: Really, I think I thought it worked because I was taking something and now it's probably a what's it called?
Speaker 4: Where now I see ginger.
Speaker 1: And you hate it? It's a version again.
Speaker 2: Now I have an aversion to ginger because of this stage. If everyone being like, that'll fix you, like ginger, Tea's have the pregnancy team with the ginger yea.
Speaker 3: I mean anecdotally, it's one of those what's in science? What's the science behind it? Some science? But look, I think we need to dedicate an episode to ginger, not ginger grace, goodness, to what you can do so lots and lots of naturopathic over the counter stuff, but there's also stuff medically that are required that we can give you to really really change that platform.
Speaker 4: Yeah great.
Speaker 2: We hope you enjoyed this episode of Hello Bump. We have so many episodes of this series filled with tips and stories from women and experts who've been through it all before.
Speaker 3: You can go back and listen to everything else Hello Bump related in this podcast.
Speaker 2: Feed, and while you're there, we'd love if you could give us a flame star rating and maybe leave us a review, or even share this episode with a friend.
Speaker 3: This episode was produced by Courtney Ammenhauser with audio production by Tom Lyon.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 2: This episode of Hello Bump was made in partnership with Huggies Bye Bye