Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast. Mom and Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Hello. Jennifer Ghana, you might have heard, has been in the headlines quite a lot lately just for living her life. The news stories have been quite silly, which is our favorite type of news story. Yes, they're things like Jennifer Ghana is glowing as she enjoys breakfast with ex Ben Affleck, or Ben Affleck loves being looked after by Jennifer Ghana a mid divorce with Jennifer Lopez. I've seen something that's like Ben Affleck, where every look says a Jennifer, you can't escape them. And another headline I've seen is Ben Affleck and Jennifer Gana are seen driving together in La after reuniting for Thanksgiving. It's like they co parent. They do me they do. That's probably so they are going to be entwined in each other's lives. We thought we would reshare our deep dive on Jennifer Ghana because there are some actual controversies and of course some silly stuff like a fantastic award winning didn't win any awards, Sir Lumma film called Suddenly thirty. Enjoy this episode and we will be back in your feed on Tuesday morning. Hello, and welcome to Cancel, the podcast that looks at silly celebrity crimes and assigns charges and sentences to them so we can all move on with our lives. I'm Klaire Stevens and I'm joined by Jesse Stevens and Jesse do you have a lazy girl story for us? I do. I have one which I feel like is going to be particularly relatable to both of us. It is from Claire. Oh, but not you, it hasn't I. My wedding dress was very fancy, with hand beating all over in a big train. At the end of the reception, I finally had time for something to eat, and I scoffed a few chocolate tarts, inadvertently dripping quite a bit of ganesh down the bodice of my dress. Because I'm a messy girl as well as a lazy girl. Bad Combo tried to wipe up the mess with an napkin. Bad idea. Chocolate now spread over a large portion of bodice and embedded in beadwork and lace. Very bad. When I returned from my honeymoon. I thought about getting the dress dry cleaned, quoted as three hundred and fifty dollars ridiculous. I thought I would just wash it in my bath tub with some sad wonder soap as a friend had done. Has turned out okay. I never got around to it, and the wedding dress is still hanging in its bag in my wardrobe. This year is my twentieth wedding adiventsy. I refuse to throw out the dress, as I might still get around to it one day. She's a lazy girl. Oh wow, how long did it take you to dry clean your dress? Very long time? And my dress was just in my boot. An amount of women with their wedding dress and their boot still Oh you got married five weeks ago. Oh your children have left home. Oh I know where your wedding dress is crumpled in the boot. If you are a robber listening, yes, rob cars, rob cut no, because then a rubber would rob a car. Take the dress and be like, get it dry clean before I sell it. This might be a you know, thousands of dollars this dress is worth. It's only going to take a few hundred to dry clean it. You do make a profit, but there's a job involved. There is a job involved, and the job of smelling men low because you know I sent my address to Norway. You did you sold your dress? Okay, here's something we've never talked about. I put mine up, being like anyone want to buy no bites? Shit? Well mine only had the one bite and she was in Norway? Okay? Was I offended? Yeah? You think you're gonna put you wedding dress up and everyone's going to go, this is the most beautiful wedding dress ever. I want to look like this on my day and everyone's everyone's like, oh nah, I think it's daky cool. I'll have a sitting in my wardrobe. I would really like the cash. The issue with the job of dry cleaning it is an issue of deadline because there's no deadline. There is no deadline. It's just my to do list has about four or five jobs of which they're just not to a clear deadline. So it's like, why would I do that today when I could do it tomorrow? Will you do it tomorrow? No? Because why would I do that tomorrow when I could do it later? And so life goes and then what you've done is you die and you've left someone the job of cleaning your wedding dress, and that person goes, why did today when I could do it later? And so no, no, what do we hand down through the family at gin Nash covered wedding dress so lovely?
Speaker 2: You are about to enter the canceled courtroom. The defendants are celebrities, the chargers are petty, the rulings are final.
Speaker 1: Jesse. Today we're talking about Jennifer Ghana. Hi, I'm jen Jennifer Garner.
Speaker 3: I just watched this down below kissing, and I just floated home in a cloud.
Speaker 1: Please welcome Jennifer Garner. Jennifer and Ghana is an American actress who you probably know from her roles in TV shows like A Liz and movies like Suddenly, Thirty Juno, Ghosts of Girlfriend's Past, Valentine's Day, Daredevil, Dallas Fires Club and so on. How many Jennifers have we done? Okay, Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Lawrence, Jennifer Anist, Jennifer Aniston. For all the famous Jennifers, do you know many in your life? Nah? I don't. I think it's a generational thing. I think it's a disproportionate amount of Jennifers that's become famous. Mary ben affleck care I said it great point, Jesse, what is your favorite Jennifer Garner movie? And or role? Was she in Pearl Harbor? We have discussed but minor role, minor role, minor role, But I did like that. I'm gonna say something unpopular. I didn't mind. Suddenly thirty, Jenna Rink couldn't grow up fast enough, so on her thirteenth birthday, Jeffers out the wishing dust. She only made one wish eighteen thirteen. I just want to be But I struggle with getting my head around magic in a film. Yeah, because I'm trying to go in order to keep watching this like Freaky Friday, in order to keep watching this, I have to I have to suspend my belief of how the world works, because this isn't possible what's happening. But I've got to be invested in you, in your feelings. It feels like a plot device. But you've either had a psychotic break in which case that's a plot point, or you're gonna wake up it with all the dream which is deeply unsatisfying. Or I've just got to play this game. I don't know if I can play this game. It's not real. So I don't know about that film. Okay, we'll talk more about that film. But my favorite Jennifer Ghana role where I think she just really was herself, like this is who I believe hard to beat. It was her role in Juno.
Speaker 2: Hi Brings You to them All Today.
Speaker 1: I was just shocking, you know, it's my girlfriend. I thought she played that so well. Is an excellent film. It is that I want to watch again, and I think, yeah, Jennifer Garner in it was just so believable. A note on Valentine's Day, Yeah, she was in it, along with literally everyone else Jesse simply everyone, simply everyone. There's also a movie called Mother's Day, celebrate the one day no matter what's happened between us here always my mother that connects us off or not. Who the world thinks.
Speaker 3: Wire Mother's Day?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, people in that Julia Roberts, Oh gee, lots of people. Julia Roberts with a terrible haircut. Okay, because the other film, just like Valentine's Day in terms of everyone being in it was of course, he's just not that into and new Year's Eve and news eve that was we went through a stage where I was in a film and you know what, it was based on Love act Love actually Because on that, they were like, imagine a film where you just have heaps of famous actors on the poster. Yeah, that isn't what made Love actually great. It was a great film, absolutely, And then the Americans were like, we can do it. We've got twelve actors. Well, why don't you sit and write a script for a minute, Why don't you write a good script because Valentine's Day, it doesn't work. They got a bot to do it. They got a bot to do it, and it showed tonight. The chef is featuring a dish that he likes to call the lime Stinking Pig. Also a note, Jennifer Ghana was married to Ben Affleck between two thousand and five and twenty eighteen, long time and they have three kids together. And there are currently rumors you would know that Ben Affleck and j Lo are on the rocks. Yeah, I believe it, And yeah, the theory is that Jennifer Ghana has been speaking to Jennifer Lopez and like helping her through this and is also speaking to Ben and encouraging Ben to stay with Jen because Jen, she's such a Marri counsel, is very good for Ben. Jenny is good for Ben and she supported him through addictions. Jen lo Pez is good for Oh. I think Jen Garna good for Ben too. Yeah, she says Ben, you need Jen, and he says, which Jen. She says Jen you're currently married to? Just for logistical purposes, the one you're that that gen also for context. She does a lot of gardening on tiktop hell squash. There is not your neck. I've been waiting for the sunflower seeds to be ready. Cash. She's popping up very hash. Couldn't be less like j Loo. And I don't mean that as a slide, No, I just mean that as she's in a different place, whereas j Loo's like, this is me now on the met Gala carpet. Yeah, where's Ben, Jen, where's my Ben? You're Ben? He was my Ben. I'm a different gen bed go back to Jen, which gen et cetera. Yeah, it is. My structure for today is as follows, an awkward call out, a late night interview, an uncomfortable question. I love the ambiguity of all somebody two and suddenly thirty okay, good an awkward call out. It's two thousand and three. Jennifer Ganna is starring in Alias, and she's very, very famous. Jesse, could you ever watch Alias? I didn't, but there were girls at school who really liked it, and I kind of put it in the Buffy camp. You were an Alias personal? You were an Alias person? Was she a spy? Yes? It sounds like I would have liked that. I know, I know, I feel like do I feel like she was a magic spy? I feel like there was something in it that I just couldn't fully get around. Yeah, I watched it. No, I never watched it, but I never watched Buffy either. No. So she was doing the rounds because as well as promoting Alias, she was promoting her new movie Daredevil, which Ben Affleck was also in, and so she was on Conan O'Brien. He her if during Alias she used any spy skills she learnt from the show in real life, and she tells a story about how they kept the show's twists from her, like the scripts ahead of time. They don't want you to know writer's room, and it's completely closed off, particularly to actors, particularly to me. So she went into the writer's room and read all the notes about what was to come, and she used spy skills to get into the writer's room. That was the great. Sorry, But as she's telling the story, Conan O'Brien says, well, there's a time when you snuck into the room. And she says, snuck isn't a word. Conan and you and to Harvard, and you should know that that's funny. The audience cheers, collaps, she finishes the story. Then, after the ad break, ConA O'Brien returns holding a dictionary. He points out that snuck is a word. It is the past tense of sneak. According to Miriam Webster, the original past tense of sneak was sneaked, following the pattern of other regular verbs. However, snuck began to be used as an alternative past tense form in the eighteen hundreds and is now very common. Would you say snuck or sneaked, I'd say snuck. I'd say snuck, But I will say it's very a white man, I think it's she corrected him in the first place. Yeah, but where'd you get a dictionary? Like? Apparently one of the writers run it down during the ad break. He does it very well because he points it out. She does a bit of like an awkward face, and then he does like a cackle like villain laugh, knuck past and pass part of sneak. It's not mean to her the way he does it. It's like expert, Oh how he does it? Okay, all right, all right, So she looks awkward, like purposely performatively awkward. And this clip has done the rounds on TikTok and YouTube and a lot of people comment saying she didn't even apologize. She didn't even admit she was wrong, and it's like, I think it was meant to be funny. It's a talk show. She's acting awkward. It's humor. I will say, I don't enjoy being corrected on my past tense in a social setting. I don't. And that's what people are saying. They like, she tried to correct him and she was wrong. I mean, it was obviously a public interview, and she was quite funny bring up a Harvard thing. But like I have been in conversations and people like it's Luca and I oh, and I'm like, okay, me and Luke went to the zoo yeah, yeah, yeah, you know what I are you my English teacher. I don't like it exactly, so yeah, people do get riled up about that, think that she's a bit of a princess, But I say it's an interesting little back and forth and just a silly interview. Moving on a late night interview. During the same interview, she told a story that has gone viral for all the wrong reasons. Speaking about Daredevil, she shared an anecdote about how her co star Colin Farrell got a bit too aggressive in a scene where they were supposed to be kissing and she ended up with a swollen lip. The next day, he was biting her lip, and she goes on to tell this old story. Was she saying it lightheartedly? Yes, okay. She then joked that by the end of shooting the scene, Parah was treating her lip like a meal and pulling it out and putting ketchup on it like a joke about how much he was just eating her bottom lip. She says that she woke up the next morning and she walks into the living room and her husband at the time, Scott who she left and ended up with Ben Afflick, was sitting there in shock. And she says that her lip looked like one of those African women with a plate in their mouths. Oh no, okay. This was two thousand and three, all right, all right, two thousand and three, And what has happened is people have taken this interview, resurfaced it, put it everywhere. You wouldn't say it now, you wouldn't say it now. I understand why it's offensive, because it's saying like, my injury and me when I've hurt myself is the same with cultural practice. Yeah, yeah, it's quite degrading to the cultural practice. I totally get that, but I also see the context and also knowing how those interviews are conducted, like that story would have been designed by a PR team, and she's just kind of delivering on it, and it looks a lot worse being thrust into our context than it might have. Do you know at the time, if it got any backlash? No, yeah, no, no, no backlash in two thousand and three. And I think that's also because people weren't online, people just watching things on a late night show, seeing a comment, maybe thinking and they're moving on. Yeah, So it kind of got resurfaced and made into a very intentional significant thing, and has then been combined with a few other things that she said, Okay, moving on to an uncomfortable question. The other problematic moment that has been resurfaced comes from a twenty seventeen chat show. During an episode of comedian Chelsea Handler's Netflix talk show, there are a bunch of celebrities sitting around at a dinner party, and Handler says, let's talk about our families first, where we came from, where our parents came from. Actor Regina King, who is black, tells a group that she's from LA, and she starts talking about how so many people live there. Oh, I think I've seen this, yes, but not that many people actually grew up in LA. And she's saying, one of.
Speaker 3: The few people that are born and bred in LA. So that's I think, a very cool thing. And I kind of wear it on my chest very proudly because so many people say, oh, Las is in La?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: And she talks about how it's interesting being the only person who's able to kind of truly say what is and isn't La because she had her childhood there. Sitting across the table from her, Ghana asks, but do you know where your ancestors are from King says.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, we're part of the triangle slavery from sier early on, Liberia and Sitegal but my pears are both from the South met each other here.
Speaker 1: People got really angry about this, and it was originally tweeted with the caption, oh I see why Ben left her ass about Jennifer Garner. Okay, as though Ben Affleck who got married in a plantation, it was just so much fun. It was the best life is the gold standard when it comes to conversations about race. Yeah, there's been lots of analysis about her facial expression and her ignorance in this really really short clip. And I completely appreciate that it may have been an insensitive or inappropriate question, but we don't have all the context. It's edited. We're not seeing a natural conversation. Something I want to point out is that Regina King hasn't said anything. Regina King hasn't come out. I said, sometimes you can use these clips, though, if you're a person of color, you might be using this clip to illustrate how uncomfortable that question is and how it is asked more of some peace people than of others. Because if Jennifer Ganna, for example, had said I'm from New York, or I'm from New Jersey or whatever. No one at the table would have said, yeah, but where are your ancestors from? Why? Because she's white, and because you associate whiteness with being American, which is inherently racist. Like, I do understand the commentary, and I don't think that Jennifer Gannah's subjectivity as a white woman in that context makes it look good. I'm sure that she would regret the way that came across. I think it's an interesting example because it really may have been that it was inappropriate, But the context is interesting because some people pointed out that her question made a lot more sense in the overall context of the show, which was titled My American Experience, where the guests were encouraged to discuss their roots, patriotism, religion, and modern America's complexities, and they were asked how their parents got to America. So she felt like she had a license yeah to ask that. YEA, Yeah, that's interesting and it was a part of the broader conversation. Then again, I do think sometimes it's okay to use an example of something and analyze it to straight a point yeah, yeah, And I think that's what a lot of people were doing, saying this is my experience that people ask me this question and it's frigging inappropriate, and you wouldn't ask it the way around. So I think that's also fair. I also think it's worth acknowledging that the question doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. Yeah, so people asking me where are your parents from? Where your ancestors from doesn't have the kind of emotional salience that may for somebody else. Jesse Suddenly thirty like your shoes?
Speaker 3: Thanks?
Speaker 1: I like your dress because they've got these incredible boobs to fill it out. Suddenly thirty, for reasons unknown, is called thirteen going on thirty in the US. Actually, it made me slightly intrigued, so I googled it. The movie is called thirteen going on thirty in almost every place. Why did we call it suddenly thirty here? It makes it difficult to have conversations with Americans. Yes, it's thirteen going on thirty, I'm pretty sure everywhere except Australia. Why because distributors thought Australians wouldn't understand Oh no, the concept slash phrase of thirteen going on thirty. They thought we wouldn't get that.
Speaker 2: Australians have proven we can understand phrases.
Speaker 1: So they were like, suddenly, thirty, I'm modified, Okay, that's a phrase though, Yeah, thirteen going on? I mean, and this is the thing. It's like, oh, don't get me wrong. I still don't fully understand the premise. Maybe it's an Australian thing. Maybe everyone else in the world is like, oh, it totally makes sense. I think it's unrealistic. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but it's not the title. No, it's like they think we don't say going on, But like I listened to the Sound of Music soundtrack a lot, and it's like, I am sixteen going on seventeen. That's fine, I understand it. I can read between the line. It means you're sixteen and soon you will be seventeen, whereas the title of this movie means you're thirteen and oh my gosh, soon you will be thirty because of magic. Yes, now there are other movies where this has happened as well. You know one of our favorite films, Bad Neighbors. Yes, yes, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: We're throwing a Robert de Niro party.
Speaker 1: Should be pretty fucking loud. It's probably gonna go pretty fucking late too. It was just called neighbors. That is American in America. She is confusing because I'm not going to the movies to watch neighbors. Okay, that's on the TV. It's like, was it bad neighbors here to avoid confusion with neighbors? Or was it bad neighbors here because they're like Australians won't understand they're bad. Yeah, yeah, I'll think this is just normal neighbors. They've got to really really make things clear for them. These neighbors are bad because they're disruptive and they're partying or is in Australia that's just a neighby. You don't know me, Yeah, you don't know my neighbors. Anyway. It's very very odd and it's quite embarrassing that Australia needed a different title. AnyWho, that's not why we're here. We're here because Jennifer Gannah stars in it. It's arguably her most famous role and there's a lot of feelings for about I don't like that scene where she did the dance. I didn't like it. It made me uncomfortable. Well, I'll get to that. Mark Ruffalo's in it. He's hot man Mark Ruffalo more like Mark Buffalo. Sometimes you forget that Mark Ruffalo's in it, and he's very sexy. For those who haven't seen it, Suddenly thirty, it's a romantic comedy and Mark Ruffalo plays love interest Matty. Wh's the thing is? Everyone's seen it? Find me a person hasn't seen it. But some people forget the details all right. A nerdy thirteen year old named Jenna desperately wants to be popular, so she gets the popular group to come to her thirteenth birthday by doing their homework. Her best friend and extra neighbor, Matty, has made a doll house for her with his bare hands, and he sprinkles the roof with magic wishing dust. I think you're a little bit old for a doll's house at thirteen. I think you are two. And I think that for the audience who was watching this, Like I was a teenager when I watched it, and I was like, look, two years ago, I believed in magic. Does third moved on? I've moved on? I was, you know, still ten, believing that my dolls talk to each other when I left the room, like absolutely, I'll play that game. As an adolescent, it's been quite beaten out of me. And it's like, at thirteen, clearly this girl is feeling some things in her pants because she wants to hook up with this hot guy. And then you've got this boy next door giving you a doll's house, and you're like, well, that's a big social obligation to act really amazed by your doll's house, when really, I think you spent a lot of time on that. I actually think that's way too full on. It's way too full on. It's I don't care about dolls anymore. You don't know me. I didn't want that gift. There's something very past aggressive about going over the top with a gift. Yeah. The popular girls arrive with a group of boys, including Jenna's crush Chris, and trick Jenna into believing he's going to kiss her in a closet while they leave with the complete homework. That's right. When she discovers what's happened, she gets upset and she says, I want to be thirty, thirty and flirty and thriving. Would you ever have used those words when you're thirteen. I just want to be thirty, flirty and thriving. I thought many an instagram all thirtieth birthdays. I think at thirteen, I thought thirty was geriatric. Oh yes, thirty wasn't fun. Thirty No, no, no, no no. I won't have two working days. I'll how to hit replacement. I'll be boring, ugly, but I will have carcies and unlimited access to McDonald's, which are true, like get McDonald's today. I want to be personally. I never forget. I never Sometimes I forget, and then I think, you're an adult. You can get McDonald a few times a day. I think I can go buy a packet of Lolly's, and I do, and I I think too many. That's why I feel sick. That's me, my mum. Yeah. Now the magic wishing dust falls on her. The following morning, she wakes up in an amazing New York apartment, and she's thirty, thirty and thriving. She's dating a man she doesn't recognize and has no memory of the last seventeen years. It turns out she's now best friends with the popular girl who is mean to her on her thirteenth birthday, and they're both editors at Poise magazine. Oh Jesse here are some of the ways people find suddenly thirty problematic. Now I want to laugh about this, but I also want to point out I have massively contributed to this culture of overwifing things and tearing them apart. It's fun, it's fun, but it is also silly. This is what the Internet has said. Why didn't anyone express serious concern when Jenna just woke up one day and didn't remember anything from the age of thirteen? Should she have gone to hospital? I would have taken you to hospital if I acted like a thirteen year old didn't recognize we've both had concussions relatively recently recently, and if those symptoms had started bubbling to the surface, I'd say, yeah, it's time for brain scain. Yeah. She wakes up the morning and she screams, she shrieks at her partner. She generally like a bit of an idiot. So her friends are like, Oh, this is just Jenner, normal, normal Jenna bag. Yeah, she hangs out with other thirteen year olds because she's a thirteen year old in her soul. But do you think grown ups would have thought that was weird? Imagine so I turn up to work today and I'm like, Hey, I don't remember anything post thirteen. Yeah. Also, here's my friend, she's thirteen. Yeah, I want to play in a doll's house. We're having a sleepover. Yeah, I don't want you sleeping in the Yeah, my daughters. Yeah. Yeah. So she has a sleepover with a thirteen year old who lives in her building, and all her friends and people have said, should we be normalized year old having a sleep over with thirteen yeards? And to that I say, I don't know if we are normalizing. If it's just a mover. This is the point before I go any further that I will point out it is simply just a move, and it is made up for purposes of fun and for laughing, because the other criticism is that it's creepy that Mark Ruffalo's character kisses her when he knows she's really thirteen in her mind. Yeah, you get own here.
Speaker 3: It's never quite got that reaction before.
Speaker 1: Ah, And it's like, hm, yes, predatory. But should we get hung up on it being creepy in that it's a scenario that doesn't really have any parallel to real life, in that it involves magic. What do you think do you think it's creepy. I hear what they're saying, because you know, we are familiar with courtrooms. And if there's a situation where someone says I'm a subject to magic dust, I went from thirteen to thirty, but I wasn't mentally thirty. I was mentally thirteen because of aforementioned math magic dust. Then I think you've got to know how to prosecute it. So we need to have these ethical conversations because where do we land in her body? Yes, she is thirty, but in her mind. I think it's a fun chat. It's an ethical conundrum, Jesse. As you touched on before, when you think about the dancers that everyone knows, do Thriller just Thriller come to mine? Yeah? You know every move to Thriller. Oh okay, if I was to think I would at the Nutbush, You'll probably be mine. But I think the nuppush is only an Australian thing. But they should have adjusted it for Australian audiences and just done the nutthood, nutfoot all the area. That's it, Jesse. This is a work party where she's like, we're gonna dance. It's really I don't know, No, I'm gonna argue with you on this, idiot, you idiot. The whole thing is that it was their childhood, you know how every Yeah, but I know people of that generation and Thriller, they still don't know what Soldier Boy Soldier Boy. Okay, we need to redo it from memory? How we need to make that song Soldier Boy. Speaking of problematic, there was something about white women doing Soldier Boy on stage at that high school that probably felt we felt that felt weird. Then I think, I think is it that not everybody knew Thriller? Or is it that I'm just not that connected with the culture, because, for example, everyone in our generation could do Soldier Boy. I can't do Soldier Boy. I know the basic moves because my body is going in the opposite direction. Plan. That's what I'll say about. Okay, I'm doing a lit bit now, Okay, yeah, yes, Well, if there was a remake, you just do sold boys. I have a question anybody who is the exact same age as Jenna in that pilema, which is very close to Jennifer Garner's age, which is about fifty yep, do you know all the moves to Thriller, not just the general vibe. Do you know it in that you could perform its semi professionally. Here's the other thing, though, the person that you're asking has years in years of memories in the way thriller. No, no, I know that, But so do the people in the movie, because everyone in the room can do I'm not questioning that, Jenna, No, they're not. They all know it, and they're doing a thing. Okay. I think what we should do is find a fifty year year old like, go and speak to our boss mayor yeah, Holly, and say, can you do the thriller the whole thing, the whole thing immediately? Yeah, good point. Investigation. Now, at the end of the movie, she comes up with an innovative idea to save the magazine. This innovative idea is as follows. She stages a high school yearbook photo with non famous people like my best friend's sister and your next door neighbor, and it's like, why would I buy a magazine with no one I know? Want to'll look at strangers pretending to be in high school that are ordinary. That's not a thing. It's not a good pitch, which brings us to the worst pitch that you and I often talk about. So with work often, like you need to come up with ideas for brands, and we have a visceral distaste for one idea. You see it everywhere. Every brand comes up with it, Every brand comes up with it. Everything it's original. They think it's powerful, and even though it's worthy, no one cares. No one. I'm so sorry, No one cares? What is it? Every day here? Everyday heroes? Local heroes, local hero You know what local heroes make the world? What it is so important to a community? Will they get people to click? Unfortunately, if I said to you, I want to tell you about a local hero, you tune out. So sounds great, tell Danny, I say, well done. Yeah, but it's just not. If the world cared more about local heroes, I have no doubt we'd live in a better place, Like the world would be a better place. They just don't. The thing I'd like to point out, we have actually been in a situation writing a TV show where part of the plot is she has a big idea. I've never found anything harder because it's got to be it's got to be a good idea, it's got to make sense to everyone, and it's going to work within the world. Yeah, and it's really hard and you think, well, can it just be a shit idea that we put nice music under?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Can, no, No, It's got to be quite a good idea. And it's like, well, if I had a million dollar idea, would be giving it to you. I'd be selling it for one million dollars. But in this film, they failed to come up with a good idea. They came up with a bad idea. Beautiful music, beautiful facial reacity. We're not convinced. Who are these women? I want to see my best friend's big sister and the girls from the soccer team. Now. This is taken from an article online that sums up the absurdity of looking at a fictional movie and getting mad about the ply kat Okay. This says At one point, Jennifer Ganna is told that a man at a restaurant is checking her out. Rather than going over to flirt with him, she asks out a thirteen year old boy at the table, I actually came over here because I think you're really cute. So do you want to go out? Sometimes?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Now? Do you want a good at jail? It is clearly supposed to be a joke, but also extremely disturbing, But then it also would have been very disturbing if this child mind in an adult body had hooked up with an adult man. I guess they're supposed to be a loophole because these children have adult bodies. But if you meet someone who keeps insisting they are a child and an adult body, maybe do not unhesitatingly have sex with them. You need to touch grass, You need to go touch grass. Take a deep breath and look at the sun again. Again, there is magic involved. Again, it is just a story. It is okay, it is just fine. But I think that scene where she's in a restaurant and they say someone's checking you out and she goes up to the thirteen year old boy and flirt, that's hilarious act. And I think it's actually clever because it's a gender reversal, because it's a woman going up to a thirteen year old boy. And you know why it's funny because that would never happen. That's why it's funny. Yeah, exactly, Okay, hold on, it has happened in very rare cases, yes, very rare. But I just think that we should be able to look at that and think it's funny. Because it is fiction, because of magic very dust. Some other headlines, why thirteen going on thirty is actually anti feminist? Thirteen going on thirty maybe a rom com classic, but is it the most feminist? I didn't want to be them. No, it's not. And you know what, that's okay, it's absolutely just why back by popular demand, we have a discount code for the Lazy Girls for a limited time only. You can use this very special code for twenty dollars off an annual Mum and Me a subscription. Claire, what is the code best twenty? Now? How are the Lazy Girls going to remember that? Best twenty twenty? And as capital Best, it's best twenty the number that means you can get unlimited access to the best podcasts, articles, discounts, and automatic entry into all current and future Lazy Girl giveaways. Speaking of lazierl giveaways, right now you could win one of twelve two hundred and fifty dollars Best and Less vouchers so you can do your winter shop for the whole family in one place. Best and Less we've given away some epic prizes for example, just last month, petres One, the Alana Maria Jewelry, bundle valued over one point five k, and in April we had six winners of the GHD prize packs. They arrived on their doorstep. I don't know how there's another team in charge of that. Don't you worry because these lazy girls would forget. Oh, don't you worry the cracks. Don't worry people who are far more unlazy than us. They do the putting in the package, taking it to the post office, and it does arrive. We have evidence that arrives. So go to the link in the show notes and use code best twenty at checkout for twenty dollars off an annual Muma Mayer subscription to go in the running. Everyone knows lazy girls need an incentive. Yeah, they do, because you're basically saving money. You're saving money by getting an annual subscription. You just put twenty dollars in your pocket and you can win free prizes. Jesse sign for charges and sentences. Okay, Jesse, my chart. I have a cup. Firstly comments aging badly, and actually, when I say aging badly, the one on the Chelsea Handler show was not that long ago, so maybe does some bad comment? Yeah, they just want no my sentence to that is. I think she needs to redo that Conan interview. Yeah, you know when you've had a shit day at work and you're like, I didn't nail it, didn't nail it that day. No, I was having a bad day. Yeah, I said things that I now regret. Doesn't Conan do some kind of some kind of riding a car? Yeah? Or is that Jerry Jerry gets a coffee in a car with the Candian Yeah, and Letterman sits on Netflix with them. So I feel like Conan would maybe go for a walk, play around golf with your Yeah. Yeah. I think she needs to redo that interview with Conan, and she needs to say, hey, Conan, I'm sorry for correcting you and using your education against you. Yeah, because the correct word is snuck. And then maybe they can have a whole conversation about correct past dance verbs. Yeah, because that's important for people to know so they don't have arguments in their own lives. And then she needs to clear up just a few of those comments and probably admit that she's got some blind spots when it comes to you talking about race. Yeah, maybe that would be handy. Now, she's also upset people with fiction, Yeah, Yeah, with Suddenly thirty, and so I did think. I was like, well, do we need to redo it and explore it more in a serious way? And then I thought it's been done. For anyone who has seen the movie Poor Things, it is very much yeah thirteen going on thirty, fatus going on thirty. Yes, yeah, right, but taken more seriously. And Mark Ruffalo is and Mark Ruffalo plays a slightly different character, but he's there. He's there, and it is about special interest in women that appear thirty but are in fact younger mentally. Mm hmmm. Actually, if you're upset about Suddenly thirty, you'll probably also be infuriated by Poor Things. Yeah. Yeah, So I suggest you watch it. Good idea, just to get kind of annoyed. All right, Well, my charge is to do with Suddenly thirty. It's broadly an issue with magic, the movie What Women Want? Do you remember that with Mel Gibson, the movie Freaky Friday. My issue, when I really interrogate it and I sit with myself, is that with films that involve magic, where does the magic begin and end? Because every scene I'm going, well, is this magic? Yeah? Okay, this magic? Do I believe?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: So this is real, but I meant to just accept the magic that God is here. There's also a lot of logic problems with magic. So in What Women Want, he can read women's minds. But what I always thought watching that movie, I'm like, hmm, minds aren't just a clear voice of chatter of chatter? Yeah? What about when you're thinking in images? Can he see them? Yeah? It's a great can you only hear your thoughts? Yeah? And great premise. I suppose you just you tie yourself in, not you tie yourself what you do? And I suppose that my sentence, I know what you're saying about poor things, but there is a very real fallout to lose seventeen years of memory, absolute tragedy. You don't know who? Do you love your husband? I also wonder those movies involving magic are they dangerous? Because what women want it starts with a hair dryer and he electrocutes and people what they think that if they electrocute themselves in the bath, they're just gonna be able to read minds.
Speaker 2: Please don't electrocute yourself.
Speaker 1: And then I think it's like, if you're reading minds, then the correct thing to do is maybe you'll like drinking yourself again. It's always you got to do the magic again at the end to get back to a way. Imagine being stuck in an unending magic loop. See that's stressful. How does she get out of it in suddenly thirty? Oh my gosh. Okay. So at the end, it's Maddie's wedding day and she goes and then he gives her the house thing again. More magic dust wakes up in the closet back at thirteen, and she kisses Mattie got the magic. You're smiling with such joy. I like I like it. Yeah, I like it because then she ends up with mircrafflo oh and then it flashes to the future. Yeah, and she ends up with mirk Raffolo and she changes her future ends up in a house that looks like the house you made her. Wow. Yeah beautiful Philamuth. Yeah, life, isn't it? Calling back and forward, back and forward. We just do this chronologically, very confused. That's all we've got time for on cancel this week. The executive producer of Canceled is to listiit as with audio editing by Tom Lyon. We will be back next week. Bye.