Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to Mamma Mia out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Friday, the fifteenth of August. My name is Hollywayne, right, I'm Jesse Stevens, and I'm Vernham.
Speaker 1: And here's what's on our agender for today.
Speaker 4: Is maternal instinct really a lie? I have a feeling that Holly and I passionately disagree about this.
Speaker 3: Quite possibly mankeeping, hetero fatalism, and her neutic labor.
Speaker 1: Say that, right?
Speaker 4: I think you did.
Speaker 3: There's a whole lot of fancy new words to describe the same thing. The realities of dating men. Emily Vernon is going to translate.
Speaker 2: And we have some recommendations for your weekend, including a mysterious new hobby, a hack in learning a new skill, and turning a basic bitch vegetable into a delicious dish. But for a few nights ago, I was scrolling on TikTok, like the four hours I set aside every night for my TikTok scroll, and I came across this crator named Brandon, and he spoke to my soul. He was walking alongside this river and he was talking into the camera about how he's an outsidey person, not an outdoorsy person. Okay, And I immediately clicked into another video of his where he explained what he meant by that.
Speaker 5: This is what he said, We.
Speaker 6: As a society are still not knowing the difference between outdoorsy and outsidey. Okay. Outdoorsy is nature for adventure. Outsidey is nature for leisure. So for example, backpacking no bever g nails, yes, swimming in the ocean, no, strolling upon the shore, yes, mountaineering no, Mary.
Speaker 4: Oliver, Yes, I love this so much. I have some questions camping outsidey or outdoors outdoors outdoorsy definitely, but glamping outsidey okay, because I I think I'm outside And the reason for this is that I went on a three day hike to Berney Island, remember that, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've been on a similar line.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, because we're hikers and we're very outdoorsy. That's what it looks like.
Speaker 5: But the beauty of.
Speaker 4: This hike was that it was an outsidey hike.
Speaker 5: It was what do you mean by that?
Speaker 4: Okay? So you go and have a shower, and when you're in the shower, it's open and you look out onto the wilderness. But the shower's warm. You got your shampoo and conditioner, and you gotta the last of champagne on the windows. That is outside.
Speaker 1: That's outsidey.
Speaker 3: I did the same thing. So you walk, so you do the outdoorsy bit, but you stay every night in a beautiful lot.
Speaker 1: And that's why outside a bit. And there's wine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think I know what my line is. Okay, I am outside because I need a coffee, preferably Barista made. And I think that the problem with going and camping, like my friend recently went to Canada camped the whole time. Wow, way too close to the bears. Needs best brain stuff. I was like, I'm happy to see the bear from my cab, from my hotel. I don't need to hear the bear chloring it the thing? And where do you get your Barista coffee? What are you am outside?
Speaker 2: Or I definitely outside the borderline? Insidey outside?
Speaker 1: Barely walk every day?
Speaker 2: I do outside, do my outside walk. But the way I know if you're someone's outsider versus outdoorsy is how they approach holidaying, Like what are your activities you plan for your holiday? Are you a hotel family or your hiking family. My biggest fear is marrying into a family that like to go to walks on their holidays for no reason.
Speaker 4: And they have Like I think a sign you're outdoorsy is that you own hiking boots. Yes, like you actually own them. Are you married to an outdoorsy Holly's married You're with.
Speaker 3: An outdoorsys to a very outdoorsy person. And I am outsidey. In fact, I'm very outsidey. I like to be outside, borderline outdoors.
Speaker 4: Because you touch the outdoors with your If I can't go outside, like if the weather's really really terrible, I actually get quite sad.
Speaker 3: Like I like to be in nature, as they say, But I am not outdoorsy like Brent is. Like I can camp. I do it once a year with my friends. Have written a book about that. But I'm not like encouraging it, you know what I mean. I can go for a walk. Years ago, before kids, Brent and I went and did the Larapinta trail and it was amazing sad and I loved it. But have I done anything like that since?
Speaker 1: No? Do I encourage it.
Speaker 4: No another sign you're outdoorsy, Holly. You can answer this question, and this is the ultimate question. Do you swim in the ocean in winter?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I reckon, that's it, because I'll swim in the ocean on a nice day. If it's a little cold, there's no way I'm diving in.
Speaker 3: I don't go in proper winter, but I do love to swim in the ocean, and I like to swim in rivers.
Speaker 1: I like to swim rivers.
Speaker 3: No, I like, I like to swim anywhere that isn't in a swimming pool basically, and so I do really like that. If it's it's freezing, I'm not going in. I'm not crazy, but I reckon. I'm outsidey without doorsy rising yes, but I'm definitely not proper outdoorsy. When Brent and I talk about, you know, when we no longer have responsibilities and we do whatever, He's like, I'm going to go on that twenty eight day high in Western Australia happen and he gets my joy out of them there, And I'm like, and I will come and meet you every now and again as somewhere with a really nice.
Speaker 4: Cocktail, a substack newsletter dropped in my inbox this week with the subject line the maternal instinct is a lie. And immediately I found that I got my back up, which was a surprising response, and I want to work through why with you both. The author of this newsletter, her name is Sarah Peterson, interviews Chelsea Conner Boy who has written a book called mother Brain. And here's what she says. This idea that women's capacity for caregiving is wholly innate, automatic, and is particular to women is a myth. She says, maternal instinct paves the way for the belief that women meant to birth children, that they're equipped with everything they need without needing any additional time or support. The myth of the maternal instinct is also, she says, behind the complete lack of clinical care during the postpartum period. She believes in the parental brain, something that develops with experience, which anyone can have access to. And when I read that nuanced argument, I went, yeah, I think I believe in the parental brain too. I quite like that it's also used, she argues, to justify women staying at home and men going back to work because women have the maternal instinct rights.
Speaker 3: As we've mentioned several times on the show lately, suddenly this seems to be a big issue of debate exactly right, whether or not women should be allowed to have jobs. Holly, did you find yourself agreeing with connor Boy's argument. Yes, But I think it's a very dangerous discussion because arguing against maternal instinct can also be seen as devaluing mother's work and motherhood in general. And I would never want to do that because I think parents in general could do with a lot more recognition and support, and I don't want to do that. And I can see that this headline is a trap to get women to walk into and then fight with each other about it. But having said all that, from my personal experience, if I'm telling the absolute, unvarnished truth of whether or not I thought I had maternal instincts, no, I don't think I did.
Speaker 4: How did you feel you learned it?
Speaker 3: I genuinely believe, again for me, only for me, that when I left the hospital with our first child in that moment, I had no more idea than my partner, Brent did about how to keep that baby alive. And I believe that because at least in the first instance, that baby was dependent on my body to stay alive. I had to learn fast, and I had to learn first, Right, So you're the one who's first in the line to figure this shit out as much as you can and then you pass it along, right. But to be honest, I don't know that I did ever learn it, like I genuinely think. And this is why, I mean, I feel very vulnerable admitting this, because it's probably one of the worst things a woman, a mother can admit, Like nothing was easy or instinctive about it. Like the only thing that was easy or instinctive about becoming a mother for me, and in this I'm very lucky it was the love right that was definitely there. So the other thing, if any woman ever admits to how difficult she has found motherhood, she has to put a massive caveat as I am doing right now, which is that I adore my children and they are, you know, the joy of my life. If anything, the fact that I wasn't very maternal before I had them has meant that is even more of a surprise and a delight and a source of joy and pride for me, no question. But I never feel more insecure than I do when I'm in a room of confident mothers, like I just was never a confident mother. I never knew and I still don't. Like I'm at the doctor when they were little, I'm at the doctor when I shouldn't be at the doctor.
Speaker 1: I'm not at the when I should be at the doctor.
Speaker 3: I'm not advocating for them in situations when they really might have needed my advocation. But then on the other hand, I worried and stressed way too much about things it didn't matter, Like I felt like I was always getting it wrong, and I would be often around groups of women, and even now with teenagers. They bring me their issues and all people have issues. I'm not crossing any boundaries there. And most of the time my instinct is I have no fucking idea. And when I'm around women who seem to be very confident mothers and just seem to not I'm not going to say that it's easy for them, because I don't believe that it's easy for anybody, but like that they do seem to just know like what to do, what to feed them, how to be, how to care.
Speaker 5: And do you think that's an instinct?
Speaker 3: I think that maybe can't we accept And I know this is always my position, and I'm very boring in this regard that there's a spectrum that involves nature, nurture, science, environment, that some of us have much stronger maternal instincts than others, and some women do and some women don't. And like, as I say, like, I love being a mother, I absolutely love it, but I'm not a naturally maternal person. No one ever makes me office mother, right, Like, I think that deeply people understand that if they were going to cast me in the role of office mom, den mother, friend, group mother, they would get eaten by a bear.
Speaker 1: Like I just I think they deeply know that, whereas.
Speaker 3: We all know some women don't we who were just they oosee it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I think, of course there is a maternal instinct, but I don't think that every woman has it to the same amount. And I do think that parental instincts and parental brain can be learnt and can be learned by anybody.
Speaker 4: I have one hundred thoughts on that. But first, what do you think him?
Speaker 2: When I read this, I felt betrayed because I was always thought similar to your point, Holly. I felt like even all my friends who don't have kids. I just knew who out of us would be really really good mothers, and who out of I'd be like, I'm not too sure. And I was in that I'm not too sure camp because just when there's like a baby in our group, the way my friends react to that baby is so different to the way I react. And I've always been told that if I were to have kids, when I have a kid, that will immediately change. You'll immediately get it, You'll immediately know exactly what to do.
Speaker 5: You'll get that.
Speaker 4: Mother love all babies, but you'll love your hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was like, Okay, that's fine, I'm chill now. And then I read this and I was like, wait a minute, what if that doesn't happen to me. It kind of scares me to the point of like, are we telling women that just as long as you have a child, like you'll actually get it and it'll be fine after that, because that's what I've been told.
Speaker 4: This is my theory is that we're potentially confusing two things. On the one hand, there's maternal instinct, and on the other hand, there is this picture symbol of the ideal mother. Right, no question and I think we're sort of conflating the two. So I think it's a lot about the definition of what the maternal instinct is. Because what you just described hole, I thought was the maternal instinct. So the sense you're always doing it wrong, that's a maternal instinct, I don't think it is. I see, Yeah, that's interesting, right, is that I feel as though, I mean.
Speaker 3: I think it's a common maternal experience, anxiety. But I think the idea that you'll know best, you always really know your child, no one knows them better than you do. You'll know when it's serious, you'll know, well the cries mean, you'll know.
Speaker 1: That's all the stuff that is sold to us as the paternal.
Speaker 4: So I looked it up and it said maternal instinct. It refers to the natural and inherent tendency of a mother to nurture and care for her child. Right, Because you spoke about knowing you love the baby, and for a lot of people, a lot of people, I know, that wasn't the first feeling, exactly the very that's very common, right experience was the first feeling was terror and like and they say I felt protective. I knew if someone walked into that room, I'd say, I'm looking after this this baby, But was it love? Not really?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: So there is this incredible spectrum, and I think the issue is that we keep trying to make motherhood universal, and the experience of motherhood is not universal. It is so specific. But I remember walking through the door with Luna in her capsule and putting her on the floor and CHILEI the dogs started kind of wandering towards her, and I have never in my life had that feeling. I can't even explain it.
Speaker 1: It was like.
Speaker 4: I saw flashes of what was going to happen. It was protective, but it was more than that. It was enormous anxiety. It was all of those things. And I worry that there is something very specific that happens when you carry a baby and you have that baby, right, there is something specific. We know that there are hormonal, biological, neurological changes and that's matrescence, and there's an incredible emerging field. Does that mean that if you don't do those things then you don't have a parental instinct?
Speaker 3: Absolutely not, because to be and I don't want to again, I don't want to ever make it sound like I'm d value in motherhood because the last thing I'd want to do, but feeling protective over my new baby.
Speaker 1: Brent was also protective over that.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing is that we talk about maternal instinct, I think because we're using it to kind of prop up this ideal mother thing, which is an absolute lie that has been used as a weapon against women to be this ever giving, ever nurturing.
Speaker 3: Like you have to do everything because you have the mother, and also self sacrificing. I mean, how many times do you hear people, you know, famous people being interviewed and they're like, my mother gave up everything, everything so that I could have my dream, and that's that ideal, whereas I never say that about fathers.
Speaker 4: By the way, paternal instinct, which is equally a thing, is I would say exactly the same. I think it can manifest slightly differently. But there is all this research too about in the case of adoption or the case of grandparents, like the carrying of a baby close to your body releases these hormones that make you super super protective. And my worry with undermining the whole idea of a maternal instinct is that mothers are more anxious today than they've ever been in all of history. And is that because they've been undermined? Is there a way in which all the expertise and the intellectualism and the books and the podcasts and the bla and you need to have a PhD In all of the things, and if you learned to breastfeed yet and makes women feel like they are so fundamentally incapable of doing any of this that they need all the advice all the time from the experts. And there is some truth. I mean, I had to learn manually how to breastfeed, like there was nothing instinctive about that, and I was never good at it and I had to stop. But I think that there are some parts of reacting to a baby's cry or whatever it is that maybe mothers and fathers need to trust themselves a little bit more and that might actually help with the anxiety and to kind of sit there and go. And I was reassured by some health professionals it's like you've got to kind of trust that you know what you're doing. Something has happened to you in your brain. The circuits have all changed that have programmed you to try and look after this thing. What's helped me is to go the guilt and the anxiety in all of those things the second to all of them kick in, and for me, they've been in the realm of normal. I know for some people they aren't. It's like, oh, this is helping me, this is helping me. That image I had of this how horrible thing just happening to Luna, I'm going to file that away as my brain doing its job.
Speaker 2: I think also, what maternal instinct refers to is it doesn't also consider like women who choose to adopt. But what this interview did was that it shows that there is scientific evidence that people who are around a baby in those initial phases there is a change in their brain chemistry, but there hasn't been enough research into it to actually explain what that change is and how it like manifests. So I want to know, with both of your partners, do you know when they had that change?
Speaker 4: I think it was gradual, as I think it was. And maybe that's how issue too, is that maternal instinct just builders this thing that is imbued upon you the second you have a baby, Like I don't think that's right.
Speaker 3: I genuinely think and one of the examples is like so for my second child, obviously I was more comp I still wouldn't have described myselves as confident mother. But the literal reason why is because I'd learned it, I've done it before. And that's the same for my partner, so he for And again I don't want to talk in generalizations about specific experiences, but Brent was also a farther like he adored the baby. You know, and you have to this is a team effort, and I've talked about that lots of times, like you've got to trust them to know what they're doing and learn what they're doing because all the things you're learning, and you've never been on such a steep learning curve as you are in those early days of parenthood. They also have to learn. But if you don't let them learn, they won't learn, and you will be the keeper of all that knowledge. I do think that anyone can learn it. I agree with you, Jesse about almost everything you say about the fact that I think we've undermined instinct to a point in terms of the constant and this is I mean, it's capitalism.
Speaker 1: Let's face it.
Speaker 3: They want you to buy the books and buy the things, and buy all the products that are supposed to make things easier and all of those things.
Speaker 4: It's also access to information.
Speaker 3: It is, and so I do agree with all of making you anxious. But for me, I don't think it was necessarily that, because I just genuinely believe that we've created an ideal that can undermine mothers a lot, which is that you'll know what to do, it will be natural. A good mother does this that are so deep in us that it's really hard to unpick it. And I think that maybe some women do. And I genuinely believe that, Like the point of this article was sort of points saying that the motherhood myth, the maternal instinct myth, as she calls it, is like a trap to keep you at home and keep the status quo in place and allow men to not have to have anything to do with child rearing and all those things. I think that there's a lot of truth in that. And I think there's an enormous amount of truth that for many, many women it's the most satisfying and important thing they'll ever do, and that they'll get so much self esteem out of being able to do it well.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So I think two things can be true and I think there's no question that the culture has given us an impossible ideal to live up to, and I think it's probably harder to live up to for some women than others.
Speaker 1: That's what I genuinely think.
Speaker 2: And also just I feel like sometimes when we talk about maternal instinct, sometimes I think when I am around kids, I always like grapple with is this like a maternal instinct or just an instinct because I'm an adult and they're a kid. Like, for example, if I'm at a bar or at a pub and there's like a little kid, they should be a kid at bath so there's like a little like kind of kid running around. I'm just staring at that kid because I'm always like, oh my god, it's going to bump it on our table, it's gonna run over there. Even when Luna came into the office, Like you just can't help yourself from like watching kids and seeing what they're doing and making sure they're not hurting for yourself, And it just comes so naturally. And I feel like that's with everyone, regardless they're a parent.
Speaker 4: Or not, or their gender, oh the gender, not even knowing who that kid is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like it just comes.
Speaker 4: And you know, I wonder if the maternal instinct has kind of been used to undermine the village too. Like then it's sort of going, well, the mother will do it best because it's also innate to her. Where As you know, lunar is in the care of lots of different people, and some of them have had kids before, a lot of them haven't, And that instinct, whatever you want to call it, you've got a trust that that will come in all the different caregivers because they build a relationship with them.
Speaker 1: Man keeping.
Speaker 3: You're probably hearing that word everywhere at the minute, and there are a whole lot of others that are all describing the same thing, the realities of dating men.
Speaker 1: Emily Vernham's going to take us through it.
Speaker 3: So moving on from women to men and the women who date them. Maybe this week you've seen a lot of man keeping talk around. We discussed this on the pod a while ago last year. I think mankeeping describes the caretaking role that women often play for the men in their lives. We're did a lot of generalizing today, by the way, a great deal of generalizing, looking after their emotional needs, bolstering their confidence, supporting their well being. It's not just necessarily about doing more around the house, but that base you're the one who will remind them to go to the doctors, tell them to call their mother on her birthday, all of that kind.
Speaker 4: Of I love my dad, but I think I man keep my dad like I think that he's someone I have to look after.
Speaker 3: There was an article in The Guardian recently called are heterosexuals Okay? It was by Emma Beddington, and it rounded up a whole lot of other examples of terms like man keeping that mean the same thing, which is basically the argument seems to be dating men is dreary and problematic. For example, we now have a fancy word heteropessimism to describe the outlook of straight women fed up with the mating behavior of men. Emily vernon Dating Correspondent, do you relate?
Speaker 2: I think I related more to this in my early twenties when I first started dating, and I think a lot of women when they first start dating, whether they're new to dating or they've come after a breakup and they're in the new world of dating, it is quite sudden experience to see how many people are so different to you and your friends, to that out there that are now in the dating pool, and it's something that I feel like now I've just gotten so so used to that it's like not even a thing for me anymore. Like you just have to be okay with knowing that some people you'll date are just going to be quite shit.
Speaker 4: So do you relate with the sense of heteropessimism or hetero fatalism of just sometimes looking at being a heterosexual woman and going, I don't know how much longer I can do this? Because that was a sense. There was a great New York Times piece about it, and that's what the author essentially said, is it her friends look at each other and go, I'm off it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every single situation, ship breakup, which a lot of women go through, I feel like I go through that all over again, and then I delete the apps and they come back like six months later. Only recently. I want to read you out some texts that I got from a man. Oh please, I was seeing this guy. I think we went on about four or five dates.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling.
Speaker 2: I talked about him on the podcast, talked about tying one on the podcast, and we were talking and he wanted to date, and I was like yeah, and He's like, she would be exclusive, and I was like, yeah, if you want, Like I mean, I'm still in the apps. I know you're still in the apps because your profile still there, and he's like yeah yeah. And then two days after that, I just messaged him and I was like, are you free on the weekend and he said a day later, which was the Saturday, he said, I'm at work all weekend. I finished had six tomorrow, but we've got lots of bookings in because he's a bartender, so.
Speaker 5: It could be later. Sorry, I'll keep you in the loop. Never heard from him again. This was like beginning of July.
Speaker 4: Okay. So in this New York Times article it told a story and this woman was talking about one of her friends and she'd gone on a third date with a lawyer and her friend said to her, he's really really sweet and nice to me and good at sex. No doubt something humiliating a night marriage will occur, so which I just really related with anyway, And then he went he was really busy with his word. Men are all they're so busy with their works, so I'm like women. And she ended up saying she would message him and he would just go days and days, and she kind of ended up saying, Hey, is it hang all right?
Speaker 3: Like you?
Speaker 4: No, you take six days to respond, It was just taking ninety seconds. And eventually he said sorry for keeping you waiting. He hadn't meant to, but he said the complaint had got him thinking he unfortunately wasn't able to escalate whatever was happening between them into a relationship, and this friend clarified that she had not been asking to escalate anything, merely expressing a need for clarity about plans. He understood that, he said, but their communication skills were obviously too different for them to continue dating. The reason I pulled this out, my god, is because I've had this happen about seven times. It was like clockwork.
Speaker 5: I feel like he just read out my diary.
Speaker 4: Yes, of I would date people and then four months, like not two days, four months down the track, and then I would go, all right, either they're acting weird or trying to make a plan or something, and I would ask for clarity on the plan, and then it would go I think we want different things, and I was like, I just want to know if for hanging out on Saturday, and then they'd be like, you clearly want a relationship, And I was like, I do, but I didn't say that.
Speaker 3: Friends, he's just not that into you.
Speaker 1: Like, come on, that's the end of that.
Speaker 3: Why all he's just read like if they're not texting you back, if he's texting you back saying we've got a lot of bookings in tonight.
Speaker 1: Not sure? Maybe like he's not that into you. There's the end of that conversation.
Speaker 3: Like if he really liked you, it wouldn't matter if he was working till midnight, he would try and get around there as soon as he'd finished, or he'd be getting someone else to finish his shift for him.
Speaker 4: So the issue is that what's wrong with them that they don't like?
Speaker 3: Well, so here's the thing about this whole scenario is true, this kind of premises like men have gotten worse because as women have been able to ask for more of what they want, because they've got more independence, they've got more choices, they've got what we know, yays, we discuss all the time. The dialogue is kind of they don't have to put up with this shitty behavior anymore, Like that's generally the vibe, right, Like yeah, and so I threw away the second from the City Line. But say, like when that show started in the late nineties and noughties, it was like women tying themselves in knots to believe something that wasn't true about this guy seemed more urgent than it does now.
Speaker 4: Isn't it interesting though, that show had not a sprinkle of heteropessimism. It was full of hetero hope. Well, it was about that they still believed in, like finding the person, whereas now there's this real nihilism when it comes to.
Speaker 1: Some of the characters.
Speaker 3: Did Charlotte definitely hetero optimism, always a little bit of that with Carrie, But like, I don't think Miranda had a lot of hetero optimism. I don't think Samantha had a lot of hee Like. Anyway, we're not talking about sex and the City, but it seems interesting that we've changed the vocabulary and also the world has changed, because Emmy, you do have all the choices in the world, right, you are a catch.
Speaker 1: I'm here to tell you.
Speaker 3: Stop crying, no question, right, and yet you're you're still trying to decipher what this stupid fucking text message means.
Speaker 2: Yes, but well I think you're saying so even sex and the city like they started the taxicab theory right.
Speaker 3: Yes, which is there is nothing truer in life. I would bet my house on that theory.
Speaker 5: I agree. I think that theory is so true.
Speaker 2: So the taxicab theory, it's the idea that men will go dating, dating, dating until they're ready to settle down. And depending on who they're just dating at the time they're ready to settle down, that's the person musical chess.
Speaker 3: But women, women have a light to your lights just have to be on at the same time.
Speaker 2: I think women are more and I think this is where the taxicab theory is making men really confuse now, because women, as you said whole, have more agency over their lives and dating, and they're becoming more picky with dating in a good way, saying that they're going to look for the right person. So their lights only turns on on the person that they feel like they're going to spend the rest of their life with. For example, I date men who I'm like, I'm definitely not going to marry you, but you're fun right now, so I'm going to keep dating you. If his taxi cab light turns on while he's dating me, I'm backing out like that's not me, of course. And now these men all we have on these apps are these men who are really confused, going my lights on, my lights on, but no one wants to date me, And they aren't able to figure out why no one wants to date them. They just think all they have to do is turn their lights on and they'll be a woman there waiting for them.
Speaker 3: That guy, the guy who can't tell you that he doesn't want to go on another date with you and has to make up some bullshit excuse about how many bookings he's got in his bar.
Speaker 4: His light's not on, his lights on on, No, his isn't. And I think that my theory is that there is this gap between our desire and our politics right, and that we would have this desire. I felt like I was. I couldn't be honest with myself for ten years about what I wanted because maybe it made me feel less independent or less. I didn't like the desperation I felt sometimes, and I didn't like how some men made me feel. They made me feel desperate, and I just went, I don't like this. I feel in control in so many avenues of my life.
Speaker 3: And you're amaking for the tiniest thing confirmation about Saturday night plans and they were like.
Speaker 1: Whoa, I don't want to get married crazy.
Speaker 4: I was like, how dare you make me feel like that? And there was this term in the New York Times article I loved, which was I'm not going to be able to pronounce it normative male electhemia, which is the condition of being unable to put words to emotions, and it's about kind of women are like the relationship maintenance experts. Even in relationships, they're the ones who have to bring up the issue. Again enormous generalization, but bring up the thing, ask men to talk about it, and then it gives way to what they call a female demand male withdraw pattern, which is exactly what happened, which was I would demand even in dating the tiniest thing man withdraw.
Speaker 3: I just have to throw a little spanner in the works in defense of man. And you know, it's unusual for me to be when the desire is mismatched in a dating situation, like he likes you more than you like him, or you like him more than he likes you.
Speaker 1: Neither of us are good at communicating that.
Speaker 3: Emily, you might be because you're very good. You're quite good being straightforward. But I know that in my dating life, if a guy was asking me if I wanted to go out on Saturday night and I didn't, did I say was I emotionally super mature and say like, hey, you know, really, I think I appreciate you asking me and blah blah blah blah blah, but no, I don't think we've got a future together. Of course I didn't. That was too awkward. I would have said exactly the same thing. We've got too many bookings on Saturday night. Now I'll call you sometime next week. I think that women are confrontational avoidant too. But the thing is is that we tell ourselves a different story because we're always casting ourselves in the person who's wanting a thing and that men have got the thing we want. So we feel like in our dating stories it's always them saying no, and we're saying but I want, but I want, and they're saying no, when actually think like, if you're really honest with yourself, don't you think there have been lots of times where you haven't treated a person in your daily life with the absolute respect They deserve.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely not. But I do think examples of that there is something. And this is not just in dating, This is in relationships, This is in couples that have been together for forty years. I think this idea that some men struggle to articulate emotions is true, and I can't work out whether that is something innate or whether that is something There's definitely a socialization element to it where I think that men get into some situations and go I don't even know what to label this feeling. And for women who are very used to articulating how they feel and talking to their big group of females and something that's been rewarded and encouraged in them since they were very little like, I think that there is a bit of a mismatch. I'm not sure if it's greater than it's ever been.
Speaker 2: I think it's massive now because men don't talk to their friends about things, and it's so evident when you go on that first date with a guy because exactly I think I even talked about this in the podcast where I was asking this guy question after question enough to question He was like, what else do you have to ask me?
Speaker 5: Instead of asking me a question about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's because it's usually the first time he's just a dick, he's a dick. But it's also usually the first time where they've actually talked about themselves and had someone interested in their life. One time, I went on a date with a guy and he literally said to me, no one's ever asked me that before. The question was what does your sister do for work? I genuinely believe no one's actually halstened that before.
Speaker 3: Weird. I want you to tell me though, back to this, because so many examples in these stories are about a woman thinking that a relationship is more than it is, and then a man not being straightforward in his acknowledgment that his light isn't on or that they're not matched or whatever. What is the emotionally mature way to handle this? What should the guy have said? And what do you say to a guy who's saying I want to go out again on Thursday and you're like, no.
Speaker 5: What I do?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: You're right, It's definitely something I didn't do when I first started dating, because I'd always be like, oh, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
Speaker 5: I don't want to be part of this.
Speaker 2: But what I do now is that after a date, I will message them and be like, hey, really enjoy getting to know you.
Speaker 5: I feel like we're not compatible, good luck.
Speaker 2: That's very mature, instead of making them go like waiting a few days knowing because I know that I would do it, and I know that if they like me a lot and I don't like them, I know they'll spend the next two few days going should I message?
Speaker 5: Should I not?
Speaker 2: What should I say? And then they'll message and be like, hey, do you want to hang out this weekend? And then I'll take two days to reply, and then I'll be like, hey, just checking in. I'll be like, oh sorry, work's been really really busy, Like it's so shit. It's so shit to do to someone. I think with online dating now is that it's given you the excuse where you can have those really hard conversations without it just being full on. You have the excuse of it being like so much more casual and so much more chill. I know a lot of women don't like doing it in person because I'm like, you can feel unsafe at sometimes, and I think just like message them, message them like straight after or a day after and be like, I've been thinking about it. I don't want to see you again, but I'd much prefer that then, kind of like making what I think is happening a bigger deal in my head for it to just be crushed with the ghosting, the confusion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, after the break, we are absolutely bursting with recommendations for your weekend.
Speaker 3: One unlimited out loud access. We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday exclusively for Mamma MIAs subscribers.
Speaker 1: Follow the link in the show notes.
Speaker 3: To get us in your ears five days a week, and a huge thank you to all our current subscribers. Vibes ideas Atosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 5: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 2: It is Friday, and we want to help set up your weekend with our very best recommendations.
Speaker 5: Holly, what do you.
Speaker 1: Have for us?
Speaker 3: So you know how Jesse likes to recommend the most obvious things. Yep, she tells me I do that, but like she's like.
Speaker 1: Have you watched Drive to Survive.
Speaker 3: There's show called mad Men that's eight years later she discovers the thing and then thenoining thing is is that?
Speaker 5: Then everyone watches it?
Speaker 2: Like now all the other ladders, are watching drivers vive because you talked about it five years after.
Speaker 4: Good Luck going to the Melbourne Grand Prix.
Speaker 3: And then oh, anyway, I have a new discovery. It's this little known app that teaches you a foreign language.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about this and can teach you a language lingo?
Speaker 4: I thought I was telling people last week they had too many apps.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 7: Technology because the reason I'm recommending this is it's true that last week we did talk about how we've got too many apps, and I said I had one hundred and thirty five.
Speaker 3: And the outlouders have all been in the group, so how many they've got They got one hundred and eighty six. I now have one hundred and thirty six because iad dueling?
Speaker 4: Are you ad life crisis?
Speaker 5: Are you going to a country to learn?
Speaker 3: I came back from my holiday where we went overseas and we went to Italy, and I'm like, I am learning Italian before I step foot in that country again. I'm frecking learning Italian because I never feel more stupid and dumb. Yeah, and you're like a giant middle aged baby than when I'm standing in a shop behind my mother who can speak Italian by the way, or whoever who is making a real effort to communicate in the language, being respectful of the culture.
Speaker 1: And I'm they're pointing at things and going Holla.
Speaker 5: Bread, bread, bread, bread.
Speaker 1: How am I as old as I am?
Speaker 3: And I only speak English. It's embarrassing. There are lots of people in my life who speak lots of languages, and I'm like, anyway, I'm time poor, time poor. I've got broccoli look after I apparently I have children to look after too, but has discussed not very good on the maternal instincts front. Juliko, you can do six minutes a day, and I'm doing six minutes today of Italian. Mate, I'm going to be fluent by the end of this.
Speaker 5: I give you two months.
Speaker 4: In two weeks. On this show, I'm gonna ask Collie how duweling. She's going to say, you were what? And it's going to be like the time Ollie started meditating and when she forgot this.
Speaker 2: Is I'm going to open it where you have to re download it every time because it just offloads on your phone.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is my meditation.
Speaker 3: As I've been sitting there and I go, right, I've got six minutes and the little stupid bird pops up on my phone and goes, don't forget your Italian lesson.
Speaker 1: Then I'm like, oh goody, and I go over there, and firstly, that's a bird.
Speaker 3: And it's trying to encourage me to be a better person. And I'm getting on board with the owl.
Speaker 5: Say something go on for sure, no working.
Speaker 1: Sorry to all.
Speaker 3: The Italian out louders and all the out louders, I tell you, I am going to have learned how to con like a proper person very soon, thanks to the owl. It's a little done app called DUELINGO. You'll find it in the ass.
Speaker 4: Is it free?
Speaker 1: It is the version I'm doing. It is free.
Speaker 3: And the way it works just quickly is that every day little lesson. And some of it is like say this into the phone. Some of it is translate this thing. I think I chose too high setting. I was a bit more ambitious.
Speaker 2: Some of the sentences they make you learn right off the battle weird though.
Speaker 5: It's I like your hat. I'm out of everything I need to learn in this moment. I like your Hat's probably.
Speaker 3: More also, it thinks were all Americans, because it's like a lot of the things it wants you to say is I'm sorry, I don't understand your an American. I'm sorry, I still don't understand you Australia.
Speaker 4: Okay, my recommendation I have two. The first one I thought was a bit of a cop out, and I will say, this is my last vegetable recommendation.
Speaker 1: She's trying to bog up my vegetable.
Speaker 4: I am, I am, You're being healthy. The people liked the broccoli recommendation. Have you heard a carrot face recommends carrots, kale? Orange?
Speaker 5: Kind of?
Speaker 1: I'm growing carrots, Jesse.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll tell you how to.
Speaker 1: I don't know when they're ready.
Speaker 3: That's one of the problems that happen. I'm like, how do I know when the carrot is ready?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, what you have to do is like you do your olive oil and your salt and your pepper right, and you put it in the oven really hot. We're roasting, and we're roasting. And then halfway through this is what Nagi does, because she makes us all into little chefs, is you put garlic on it. Because if you put garlic on it too early, then you burn the garlic.
Speaker 1: Roasted vegetables are really the secret to everything.
Speaker 4: They are, and so you put it on and then you have them. And we've been having our broccoli and our carrots without aldi spanicopter.
Speaker 2: It's just the same recipe as the broccoli one is.
Speaker 4: Pretty much except the one with the broccoli had lemon and parmesan.
Speaker 3: If you remember, you've basically discovered that vegetables don't have to be boring.
Speaker 4: I like, exactly, vegetables are actually young. Okay, But I have another recommendation which is the best thing I read on the internet this week. You know how you said you four hours of TikTok before me. I've now gone to four hours of substack.
Speaker 5: You are a better pastor I am.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 4: Now there's a rite and write some of the best stuff on the internet. He wrote this article that's been republished everywhere called how social Media shortens your life, and he says everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah says on social media my four hour TikTok.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every social media user has experienced the theft of their time. You may log on to quickly check your notifications, and before you know it, half an hour has gone by and you're still on the platform, unable to account for where the time went. The phenomenon even has a name, a thirty minute ick Factor, and he goes on to explain how the experience of time works and what social media is doing to our sense of past, present, and future. And he's written about also how insane it is that you can be on TikTok and flick and it's like, tell me what the last video was he watched, or tell me what the last thing was, and like you it's just yeah, it is like you are in this temporal place that is so bad for our brains, which we all know to be true. But it was a really interesting analysis of how social media makes you feel and what you can do to make yourself really feel time and all the like variations in activities and all of that, and what's your recommendation?
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a confession, and I feel like you guys are not gonna like this recommendation. Oh no, I've been on the mystery toy bandwagon.
Speaker 1: Oh like the what la boo boos? My dad?
Speaker 3: Can you have a conversation like yes, okay, she only likes buying things that she doesn't know what they are.
Speaker 2: I cannot even explain it. So mystery toys you might have seen all of you would have seen labooboos all over the internets. Basically, these stores, they're massive in Asia. They've only just taken off here in Australia like eight months later, and there's like this big store, like a toy store, where all these little boxes are wrapped up in these mystery boxes where you actually don't know what is inside them. So they have like different series of toys. So you have like powerpuff Girls toys, you have Stitch toys, you have La Boo Boos.
Speaker 5: And the thing is is like in each.
Speaker 2: Series of toys, there's different toys you can get amongst that series. So you can get different versions of Stitch, different versions our puff Girls. Yes, but you don't know which one you're going to get. Okay, I'm not saying collect like people collect these. I'm not saying you have to collect them. But I was having a particular bad day. I think it was after this text message from my man, and I was like I just need to feel really good about something, and I walked over to PopMart in the CBD. It is packed with people twenty four to seven and they're now making it two levels. I bought one toy from the series.
Speaker 5: I bought this series called.
Speaker 2: Cry Baby, which is very fitting with my mood. There was like monster series, and the thing is you have to choose a series where you like all of them in them because I don't want to be disappointed by one. So I got mine and then I came into the office and I opened it up and I've never felt so much joy in that week. And when I opened that toy, you feel like a child, like on Christmas Day when you're opening a present that you don't know what it's going to be.
Speaker 4: Can I ask questions? What do you then do with it? What do you do with it?
Speaker 5: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: So the one I got, I have it on my desk and I kind of just look at it and it's really cute. My friend got me one which is like a Mickey Mouse one that was a key ring that I put on my handbag.
Speaker 1: This is exactly what my fifteen year old daughter does.
Speaker 2: And then it like fell off my handbag in the city and this man tapped me on the shoulder and I was like, what, don't tap me on the shoulder and he was like, you dropped that, and I was like, that's the most embarrassing thing I could have ever dropped, and then just like it was this white, little fluffy thing that was rolling away from me.
Speaker 3: We could talk about this for a year. It is genuinely could, because it's the extension of childhood. It's rampant consumerism, it's gamification, and there are lots of those shops of walking distance of our office.
Speaker 5: It's good, it's fine.
Speaker 1: Which ones are you obsessed with?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 5: What's the line the cry Baby Monster series?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll leave it there. I'm so sorry, am I feel like I've been very judging. I've been very judgy.
Speaker 5: I feel like this whole episode I just aird.
Speaker 1: Essentially, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be judging, but I'm like, oh no, that is all we've got time for today. Out louders, massive thank you to all of you, and to our amazing team who help us put the show together, and to you Emily Vernam you guys read this out.
Speaker 4: A big thank you to our team, our group executive producer Ruth Devine, executive producer Emilin Gazillis.
Speaker 2: Our senior audio producers Leah Porge's video producer Josh Green, and our junior content producers Coca and Tessa.
Speaker 4: Before we go, we actually have a subscriber episode that we dropped yesterday and it is a series of dilemmas. One who's started there is one dilemma, and I just feel like we've all been in this situation where this woman employed her friend who's an architect to help her on the project that is her home at the moment, and things have gone very very badly. Also, are you a leftover family? We talk about the politics of the leftovers because someone is committing a social faux pa. Check out the link in the show notes to listen. Mamma Mia is cooking up something very exciting and we need your brilliant opinions to help us make even better content. And if there is something the out louders have, it is.
Speaker 1: Opinions, really good opinions too.
Speaker 3: We'll take just twenty minutes of your time to fill in this survey and in return, you'll get one month of free subscription to Mom and Mia and also a ten dollar a gift card comes in handy little treat.
Speaker 4: If you are already a subscriber, we love you, then what a perfect little treat it is to give to your mum or a friend who's always asking what podcast to listen to next. If you're interested, check out the link in our show notes.
Speaker 5: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: Shout out to any mom and Mia subscribers listening. If you love the show and you want to support us, subscribing to mom and Mia is the very best way to do so. There's a link in the episode description