Speaker 1: Hello, out louders, and welcome to mom and me are out loud. It's what women are actually talking about on Friday, the seventeenth of July. My name is hollywayen Wright. I'm mea Friedman, I'm m Vernum and here's what made our agenda for today. Oops, we got a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 2: We did sweet Plus, I just watched the alleged movie of the decade.
Speaker 1: I've got some things to say.
Speaker 3: And should there be an age cut off for wedding registries and baby registries? Which I didn't know baby registries was the thing? I'm clearly out of the loop.
Speaker 1: So are we watching DCC the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader's America's Sweethearts on Netflix? Yes?
Speaker 2: I watched the whole thing the day are dropped. You recommended it, in fact, on the show a few weeks ago, and you alerted me because I had not seen it yet. Because she always god knows what else she does with her life, she's always on it.
Speaker 1: She likes to throw around the word in bargo a lot. Yeah, sorry, very important. She probably got to watch it before it even existed. Anyway, those of us who were just catching up. You told us in that reco about Faith Ward, who is an Aussie member of the cheerleading team.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's from New Zealand, but she's been living in Perth for the last few years, so she's got a thick Australian accent. And she, I would say, was the star of this last season. It's such a breakout.
Speaker 3: If you tapped out like I did in season two, which was kind of bleak. Season one was amazing breakout here. Season two was nothing happened and they skipped.
Speaker 1: There was like a lot of money problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there was no real stakes. There was just not very interesting. And season three back baby, I realized that the Steaks are in the audition process and once they're actually the cheerleaders and the team's been picked. Because it used to be before was this, it was called making the team and it was very much about that audition process. So season three is not only back to that, it's centered on faith and she's a delight.
Speaker 1: She is a delight, so right though, it is all about those auditions because otherwise, and it says, you can't imagine how they're going to keep this going and going and going right, because that first season we were all those of us who hadn't watched making the team on CMT or whatever it was. We were all like, what this world exists, you know, and then season two you're like, oh, this world's a bit sad and so anyway, face, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think that that DCC, the entity brand multi million dollar Enterprise was happy with season two because there was a lot of dirty laundry about the fact that the girls are paid so poorly, their conditions are so terrible. Left to wash their own uniforms, they have to work multiple other jobs. They keep breaking their hips.
Speaker 1: Because they've got to do those stupid splits. Yeah, it was a bit too real, boots.
Speaker 3: It was a little too real, and I don't think it was good for the brand.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk about the brand because faith So, star of season three, has discussed Delightful Perth Cheerleader. She has wanted this her whole life. She has been was a dance kid, she was working on She's done cheer before. She was working on a cruise ship and trying to get a job at the Muland Rouge in Paris. When she saw an ad well, actually, somebody slid into her DMS and said, why don't you I think it was Shelley, the one whose daughter keeps getting kicked out one of the towers Scout, I think, and said, why don't you audition for the DCC.
Speaker 2: So she did, and Faith at the time was already a big influencer in Australia. Her Instagram was called Flexy Faith and she would post a lot of videos of her doing these crazy hips.
Speaker 1: Hers she doesn't have any Well, HER's a.
Speaker 3: Double jointed, so she can like when you did that with your barbies when you're little and used to spin their legs around, she can actually do that with her actual body, so she'll have no hit problems jumping into those silly ses.
Speaker 1: Oh but it makes me worried about how much calcium she's going to have to eat later in life. That anyway, So if you have watched all of this season of DCC, you know this. If you haven't, it's a little bit of a spoiler, but to be honest, it's fine. In the last episode of this season, Faith goes in to do the thing that they do where they say whether or not they want to stay or go, like re audition to try and get into the team again next year or whether they're hanging up their heart pants and Faith is wants to stay. But Kelly and Judy, who are the real stars of America's Sweetheart Curious people I've ever seen on TV. So they're the bosses of this whole operation. And they are of indeterminate age, like maybe they're seventy. That you can kind of.
Speaker 3: Tell because it says they were both DCC themselves, and it says the year that they were DCC. I think one of them is early eighties and one of them is late eighties. Not their age, but the year that they're in DCC, so I reckon they're late sixties, early seventies.
Speaker 1: And they have spent their whole lives since then in the brand, working for the brand, working around the brand, so is in their blood. DCC is their life, and they guard this brand they do like the dragons at the door. And of course their lives have been made more difficult by the fact that now all the girls want to be influencers and stars, which is what we're going to get to. Because Faith came to Australia and did some interviews, including one on No Filter with our own Kate Langbrook here's a little grab of that, just one of the things that she said, one of the many things that she said on that show.
Speaker 4: There was this big thing going around saying it was a four hundred percent pay increase, which don't get me wrong, it's a pay increase. And I'm so incredibly blessed to be drawing the team when that happened, Like I would not be able to you know, I didn't have a visa for a bit, so I couldn't get a job, and you know, have extra money coming in, so I would not be surviving if we didn't have that pay increase. But it's still not realistically enough for what we do as athletes.
Speaker 1: So she said things like that in that interview, and only she knew what was going to happen. And I can't play you what Kelly and Judy said because we're not allowed to lift it from Netflix. So I'm just going to reenact it a little bit, Okay, do the accent, So I'm not going to do that. Faith is about to come in and Kelly's drinking from her giant cup. She's always drinking some kind of iced coffee situation from a giant cup, slipping through a store and she's like, oh next is faith. Oh God, this will be long winded, and then she goes, but I want to talk to her about her email and interview, and they basically challenged her over the interview, saying that she needed to run all the press commitments through them and she hadn't done that with her Australia ones, and that she was basically running her own independent press tour and then gives a very said if you were reauditioning tomorrow because of this, you would be a no, you need to re earn my trust to come back, a bit harsh like whatever.
Speaker 5: But I did a little bit of sleuthing and did a.
Speaker 3: Bit of CSIDCC no filter Mama Mia, and she came in with her own manager, no Netflix approved person. And this is the big challenge for Kelly and Judy and the other lady who's the.
Speaker 1: Daughter of the owner, Charlotte.
Speaker 3: The challenge is that the whole idea of DCC is that the brand is bigger than the individuals and it's just a series of replaceable parts. No one can look too different, and that's the whole point of them, that everybody has to kind of look the same. No one can stand out, no one can become too big for the brand, and that was in case they eclipsed the brand, and that was the case until the first season. And the big standout from that season was Reese. Reese became a big star, and I don't know what went from behind the scenes, but by the time we see recent season.
Speaker 1: Three, she's beaten down.
Speaker 3: Man, she is not happy, and by the end of this season she actually decides to retire early. Yeah, she's my favorite, and she was everyone's favorite, and you could see that. It's very interesting to know what went on behind the scenes because you've got the demands of the DCC brand and then you've got the demands of the show. So the show isn't interesting if everybody is a cardboard cutout step for cheerleader. And so you could almost tell whether they were setting this up for the for the drama and the plot is very possible. But you could see in the auditions that there was a lot of disparaging things said about cruise ship dancers.
Speaker 1: I know there.
Speaker 3: Were two and a lot of there was a lot of eye rolling and side eye about cruise ship dances, and you could see that they were different to the very formatted structured synchronized.
Speaker 1: Pomgirls, the Pomgirls.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and a lot of the girls come through college cheering that that get into the team and they've got that experience.
Speaker 1: So you can.
Speaker 3: Almost see that because Faith was just such a stand out through the audition process and they decided obviously early on to follow her.
Speaker 1: She was going to be in the team.
Speaker 3: Like that was good for the brand of the show, that was good for the merch, that's good for the DCC brand to have stars. But they can't be too starry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they also can't And this is a problem that a lot of reality shows have, right, It's that once you've done a couple of seasons of this and people can see, oh, I can get famous this way. So and I'm not saying this is absolutely what Faith did, but come on, FLEXI. Faith has five hundred thousand people on Instagram. She's like, this is going to be great for my career in many ways, whether I get in it or not. I mean, Texas looks like hard work, you know, being a professional cheerleader looks like hard work. But I get famous, I get to build my following, I get to do my thing. And Kelly and Judy are trying to sort of lift them up and push them down at the same time. Yeah, don't you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially with the season where we saw Kelly and Judy getting feed back on their feedback and they were told to give more positive reinforcement, and like Judy will like talk into a phone and be like great kick looking good. That one's a bit flabby. I don't know what I'm saying, and it was just so busy. Welcome to managing.
Speaker 1: Jensay exactly.
Speaker 3: You've got to let them talk about their feelings and you can't hurt their feelings.
Speaker 1: And how many times Kelly says with this like sort of sour tone in her voice, the one thing they've all told me is that they want more feedback. And then you give them feedback and they don't want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then she's like yelling at someone and then at the end she's like, I love you, Like I don't know if this is the right way. But what was interesting about this season is that in the addition process, they say that the auditions for this season happened after the first season went live, So they're not only getting girls who are like so passionate about joining DCC, but they're getting people who just want to be famous, who want to be on TV.
Speaker 1: I'm sure the first season of Maps everyone really did want to find I'm going to work out that it's a path to totally fat.
Speaker 3: I'm going to take you back even further. The one of the og reality shows, Big Brother, when Sarah Marie became famous with her bunny ears and her pajamas, and I was there and the Big Brother compound when she came out and there were thousands of young women dressed in pajama pants with bunnies, and she was so shocked because it was all just completely organic. In subsequent years, though, everyone went into the house, what's my bunny is?
Speaker 5: How am I going to merchandise that?
Speaker 3: So that beautiful innocence of the first season that we saw in DC, so have you've seen it? The first season of any reality show gets lost. And the second season I think was also boring, because you're right, the first season hadn't gone to air yet when the second season was filmed. So this is the first time the auditions have attracted people that have seen it as a vehicle to fame.
Speaker 1: But then I'm a bit cynical about it because the fact that Shelley slid into Faith DMS and invited her to audition. That was because she'd seen her on social media. They must be obviously, to get the brand, the show brand out further and further all the time, and the DCC brand will stop out further and further all the time. Recruiting girls who have followings and come from other countries and other markets is a very sound marketing strategy. So it's like they kind of say, we don't want you to get too popular, but they do, you know what I mean, Like they do because it gives you more reach. They've got people who turn up because they want to see them.
Speaker 3: This is what I mean about the competing interests of Kelly and Judy, who just want the girls under their thumb and to be able to control them. And there's been a lot of talk about how one of the ways they control them is by paying them very little, so they have to work other jobs. They don't have the opportunity to become too big for their boots, I guess because they're so tight. But now those other jobs can be influencing jobs. That's right, and you could see how uncomfortable. It's a whole other thing it's a level of fame. And I really do feel for Kelly and Judy too because it's a they've been doing this for so long and it's a whole other level of fame for them too. So it would be interesting to see what happens next season.
Speaker 1: It's funny because we're not funny. But on the No Filter interview, which I've listened to, Kate asks Faith what her other job is. Now we've all watched DCC, so we know that there are dental nurses, and there are messrs, and there are all these things, and she is like, I am a full time content creator and I'm sure that increasingly that is everybody's day job. And you can just imagine the meetings when they go into Kelly and go so like Reese's pieces would like me to be in La on Saturday for a shoot, and they'd just be like absolutely not like no way, Like it's yeah, it doesn't seem to be able to coexist in a moment.
Speaker 3: Are you too old for a free toaster? And did you know that three thousand dollars prams existed? No?
Speaker 1: Please, No out Loudders.
Speaker 3: In our subscriber episode on Tuesday, we shared some memories of Sam Neil, including that time that em had dinner with him, as well as Charlie's and the new strategy for when famous women are called too thin and the Jack and Margaret Qualley breakup?
Speaker 1: What happened? Have a listen? There's a link in new show notes.
Speaker 3: Last week, the Internet decided that some people are too old for wedding gifts. Why I feel like I'm being attacked actually because the thinking goes like this, if you're over thirty, you've already got all that shit.
Speaker 5: Shut up and do you think that's a bit harsh?
Speaker 2: It is so harsh because he lives. We're still going through it.
Speaker 1: But surely you can have different kinds of gifts. It used to be here's a plate set, here's a toaster, and now you're just like, here's a holiday money. Everyone's just wishing. That's what I've heard, wishing wells of the new thing.
Speaker 3: Hey me, well this week there's the same energy, but a different registry.
Speaker 1: Now they're coming for the babies.
Speaker 3: A woman went viral on Reddit for saying that she won't buy off the baby registry for couples who wait.
Speaker 1: Too long to have kids.
Speaker 3: She gave an example she has forty year old friends with good jobs who had the audacity to put a three thousand dollar PRAM on their baby registry. And the counter example that she gave was a younger, presumably poorer couple who were paying for fertility treatment. And then in the comments, someone pointed out that you don't actually know anyone's fertility story and maybe this couple, you don't know their story the older couple, and she replied that she did in fact know the exact month her friend had her iud removed.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can't it's just term. I have a.
Speaker 3: Question that this raised for me, apart from the fact, why is this woman friends with this woman?
Speaker 1: I think she needs to rethink her choices.
Speaker 3: But is a registry whether it's her, a wedding or a baby, is it a wish list or a means test? Is there an age where you like forfeit your right to be given things? And also, what's the going rate for a PRAM before it becomes obscene?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pram. Look.
Speaker 2: I recently went to a baby shower and there was a registry, but everything on the registry was under fifty dollars, so he could choose something that was like fifteen dollars, ten dollars, twenty dollars, and I thought that was nice.
Speaker 1: Do you prefer a registry?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because then with registries you can buy it online and then it gets sent straight to their house.
Speaker 1: That's helpful.
Speaker 3: Although I'm always late and all the good stuff and the real price stuff is gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you're getting like nipple cream for two dollars. It's very helpful. It all depends. So I was thinking this is crazy, and then I remembered that I was this person. I was thirty eight when I had my first child. I was forty when I had my second child, and I didn't have a registry. But for Matilda, we had like a It wasn't a baby shower, but it was like a little party for friends and stuff in the park to celebrate the baby. And my friend's all chipped in and got me a really fancy nappy bag. Now, could I, in theory, at thirty eight years old, with a good job I worked in magazines, afford my own nappy bag? Yes? Are there lots of expensive things to buy before you have a baby, yes? And did my friends want to give me something? Yes? So, like I think, it depends if you see a registry as a demand or not. You know, like if Taylor and Travis just got married and they said absolutely no gifts, there will be some people who got them gifts, no questions. Some people just want to. They just will whether you want them to or not. A registry if it's like you have to and if you don't, then that's one thing that I can understand. It gets people's backs up because they're like, I don't want to spend that kind of money and everything on there's too expensive. But if you choose to just see that as a suggestion and instead you go, I think you guys are doing fine. I'm just coming for the free drinks, then just do that, don't you think? No?
Speaker 2: Well, I think with like a baby shower and about the age thing again, I feel like you're right in a way where it does feel like the younger you are, the more you get. But I also think that's because of how many times you see you have attending a baby shower or a wedding during that period of time. Like in my family, I think about if I were to get married in my generation, there's about like forty of my cousins who are all the same age, I would.
Speaker 1: Going to be an expensive few years for your life.
Speaker 2: Well, I've already been to five weddings this year. I feel like I'll be one of the later ones to get married, and I can.
Speaker 1: Already see the fatigue.
Speaker 2: So I can already see everyone getting really excited for the first one, then the second one, the the third run, and then those first ones will start having babies, so then they won't be as excited for the next one, and then I can just feel like, when it's my turn, it will be like my mom, my dad, maybe my husband, no one else. I'm like, that's just how it goes.
Speaker 1: So you think that the people who are upset about the forty year old gift registries are just done with having them?
Speaker 2: Am I going to a baby shower now? Like you should have had it like ten years ago when I was in my baby shower moment.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, there's a couple of different things going on though, because one is legitimately wedding gifts were about helping the new couples start a home because they were both living at home with their parents and this was the first time they'd moved out and they were setting up their home together, so they didn't used to have a toaster, and they didn't used to have We had garbage bins on our waiting registry. I just remembered that, and we had been living out of home for a while. But it's different when you're having a baby, because I think that's legitimate. The point is, if you're thirty five or forty getting married, you've probably got a toaster already, and you've probably set up your house.
Speaker 1: Probably many times, whereas.
Speaker 3: The first time you have a baby, you don't just have a cot already, and you don't just have a nappy bag already. Although why does a nappy bag have to be any different to an actual, just normal.
Speaker 1: Bag, I don't know. More poc wipe down.
Speaker 3: But then the implied assumption that if you're older, you've got more money and you don't need anything. Yeah, I guess it comes down to what are we doing here getting gifts?
Speaker 2: But it goes both ways, because when you're young, if you're like if your argument is like, when you're young and getting married, you need help to build your home, But then the friends you're inviting to your wedding are also going to be young, and I'm like, can they afford to help build your home, whereas when you're older. Yes, I'm older and I have money. I can probably buy a stroller. But you can buy me one too, because you're also older.
Speaker 1: That's the thing we're all upset about. The three thousand dollars pram. Yeah, now prams are really expensive. They are. Is that like the normal price? No, that's a fancy one, okay, but prams are everything's expensive now right now? Say you that's the prim you've got your heart set on, and in theory, could you afford it? Yes, But if all your friends chip in and get it for you, isn't that better? That's okay?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And that's it made me think that that's what we just did. Brent just had a big birthday. Right. Again, we're old people, we don't really need things. But the man has always wanted giant television. It's all he's ever wanted. And I was always like, I don't like those. They're not coming in my house. None of my money is going into buying that thing because I don't like it. And so when everyone was like, what do you want, He's like, I want vouchers towards my giant passive aggressive television. To upset Holly, I like that. And the thing is is, so the old man gets his.
Speaker 2: TV that he's always dreamed off, But that's different because he's asking for vouchers. So it's like whatever you think you want to give towards that. It's different to saying I want a pram. You four friends, give me this three thousand dollars pram. Because if I was another four friend and.
Speaker 1: How many friends there are, there might have been a hundred friends. They could have a chipped approach. It's a bargain. But then I have to like find strangers on with me. We think we should just age out of giving presents.
Speaker 3: I also think that in terms of what you put on your registries, people do judge.
Speaker 1: They're like a cheese knife, for they do kidding. It's a window into your world and into your values.
Speaker 3: I might say in terms of I mean, I'm not very good at understanding gifts. It's not my love language. I don't ever want to receive them. I hate receiving gifts.
Speaker 2: I don't have ever used a bad cheese knife because they need to be good.
Speaker 1: Also, I hated the idea of a vigiant TV. Do you know how good it is? The Gant TV.
Speaker 3: It's use an opportunity to sub out the gaming chair that he brought.
Speaker 1: Into Dream during COVID its office chair.
Speaker 2: Firstly, I'm so excited to talk about this because the embargo has left.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's lifted. She's our family Vernon because she's an entertainment reporter Extraordinay, she gets to go to all the fancy things.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I went to see what has been labeled as the movie of the decade before it even came out, The Odyssey by Christopher Nolan. I watch it in the Imax in Sydney, which is where he wanted everyone to watch it because he's filmed it for Imax. It's also the first feature film to use an Imax camera throughout the whole film.
Speaker 1: I think maybe on the next gift registry Imax tickets. Ima costs a lot of money.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're gonna say, an Imax camera.
Speaker 2: The reason why it's so famous because it's about a famous, famous story that was so I've heard or a poem.
Speaker 1: I think it's a poem. It's not. It's two poems, and it's I didn't know a poem could be more than one page. Well, it's an epic poem that contains twelve one hundred and ten lines across twenty four books. Dick, It's a poem written across twenty four books. And the thing I particularly love about all the discourse around the Odyssey is everyone's like, so of course everybody's read it and knows what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, which is exactly what I've been telling everyone without myself what happens spoilers, Well, because I feel like I can get away with telling spoilers because you should.
Speaker 1: Know, I'd happen to have a clue. I think this is a very oldie worldy idea that everybody's read Homer. I was like the Bible. There was, in fact, our amazing colleague, Mama maa live She made it reel for Mamma Mia that she was like a cheat sheet. So getting you up to date with the Odyssey so you can pretend you know what it's about. Even that was too long and she missed the calf, the stuff in the song general. Okay, here we go quickly because I'll get bored, all right.
Speaker 2: So the Odyssey is about Matt Damon, who has he's a brain, just came back from.
Speaker 1: He has to leave.
Speaker 2: His wife Anne Hathaway and son Tom Holland to go to a ten year war.
Speaker 1: The Trojan War. That the Trojan Horse, The Trojan Horse.
Speaker 2: Helen of Troy so Lupita and Jongo plays Helen of Troy and her twin sister.
Speaker 1: So every A list celebrity besides is in it.
Speaker 5: Does someone fly too close to the sun?
Speaker 1: That's a phoenix? Who's a phoenix? Fly too close to the sun? And then there we're one of them? Pegasus. I don't know if that's there's no Pegasus.
Speaker 2: Icarus is not in it, Paitis is in it, Poseidon's in it. A Cyclopsis in it, which is in it? A lot of people are in it. At every famous person in Hollywood is in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally everywhere. People who aren't in it are offended. It's a bit like Taylor and Travis's wedding. It's like Who's who in Hollywood? Tells you a lot about whether are you in then? And I'm not in the Days and It. She's in there for like five minutes. Charlie's Theiron's in it. I don't care, no you do. It's really good. It's just under three hours.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 1: It's like being okay watching it.
Speaker 2: In the Imax and we only have one Imax in the Southern Hemisphere in Melbourne, so if people happened in Sydney, yeah, but ours is like they've changed us to make it a bit smaller.
Speaker 1: The original ones and.
Speaker 3: Billboard for this, and it was a big billboard and it was just a whole lot of people in like war masks. What are they called, like knights? Yeah, like helmets, helmets, but ones that cover your face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why pay for Matt Damon covering?
Speaker 3: I didn't even know those people were in it because it's just a whole lot of helmets and I'm like, it's not.
Speaker 2: Well, they take the helmet off. All I want to know is why so much fuss? Is it really good? It's really good. It's the all the fuss is from the A list class and as well as it being completely filmed on Imax film because they had to keep cutting every three minutes because the film is so old they have to keep replacing it.
Speaker 1: I thought the book was the other thing. I ha a poem. Actually he isn't like special effects.
Speaker 2: All the monsters are big puppets and they look very very gross and scary.
Speaker 3: It's not interesting how actors like to torture themselves a bit for their art.
Speaker 1: They like to suffer. Well, none suffering for them. Oh, no, they are. They are. Interviews with that Damon, he said, this was the most challenging thing he's ever done in his life because Christopher Nolan, So everybody says on Rest's Entertainment, they always say that Christopher Nolan has the name recognition of a director, Like people will go because it's a Christopher Nolan movie. Now, not that many directors have that, right, but people do. What else has he directed? Oppenheimer Interception, Yeah, those ones. Yeah, he did one of the Dark and they did one of the Batman's. He did Dark Knight with his Ledger. Like, but he's such a big deal that if he calls you, you just go yes, like Spielberg. Yes. So if he calls you, you go yes, I'm in here. We go right, And he'll spend years making this and Matt I listened to an interview with Matt Damon and he was talking about how, you know, he had to be on the most intense diet and the most intense training and it was for two years basically like unbelievably difficult and He said that he's old enough now to understand that that's something that doesn't happen very often. So you just go with it and get into it, you know, like roll into it. But yeah, it sounds quite clear. With her diabetes, Claire with the diabetes, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You just have to suffer for a particular amount of time, and that's part of the procession. She was pregnant and then the baby came out, and the diabetes came out in the placenter, and now she can eat biscuits.
Speaker 1: Now she can eat macus. And she didn't get paid, however many millions of dollars math David did. But she did get Baby Darcy. So I'm glad we've gone down that road.
Speaker 2: We get Baby Darcy and this movie. After the break, we are sharing our weekly recommendations vibes, ideas, atmosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 1: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 2: It's Friday, and we want to help set up your weekend with our very best recommendations.
Speaker 1: Maya, do you want to go first?
Speaker 3: I am menopausal, which sounds like a strange way to introduce recos.
Speaker 1: But do we reply with the congratulations?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah, because the part that comes before menopause. Menopause is when you are no longer in reverse puberty and your hormones aren't.
Speaker 1: On the rollercoat.
Speaker 3: The part that comes before is perimenopause, and that can go up to ten years, can start as early as in your late thirties. And it's a shit of a time because there are so many different things that happen and they all seem unrelated. There's skin changes, there's weight changes, there's mood changes, there's just everything you can imagine changes, and it's very hard. Why so many people don't realize what it actually is. They might just think that they need to get divorced, and maybe they do. They might think that they suddenly can't control their temperature or that their skins had a bad reaction to their skin product. But and the other thing is that it can be really hard to get all those different things. You can't go and see all those experts because that's like ten different specialists cost of fortune. Even if there are those specialists where you live. It's just really really hard and really confusing at a time when your brain fog and your emotions and your level of executive function is very very and as I said, it could go on for ten years.
Speaker 1: So what we did at Muma.
Speaker 3: Maya a few years ago and we've just brought it back this year in a new version is do a very Perry Summit. This year we've done it as an on demand so you can for fifty nine dollars buy a ticket and you can watch it immediately, and Holly is one of the hosts. There are all these different short, sharp sessions on all the different there's more than twenty on demand videos.
Speaker 1: It's ad free and.
Speaker 3: It brings together all the top perimenopause experts from Australia and all around the world, so of cologists and GPS and dietitians and psychologists, including our very own Ginny Mansburg. Amelia and Holly have done some of the interviews, so is Lee Campbell and Kath Mahoney from Unleashed. And look, there's no shortage of perimenopause information out there. It sometimes seems you can't open Instagram with some other bitch with a fan through the fan that might be me banging on about how they feel. But what we wanted to do was to just get the experts and just get the actual advice.
Speaker 1: It's completely self paced.
Speaker 3: You get six months of full access from the day you sign up, but it is only going to be available for fifty nine dollars for a really really short time, and then it grows up to ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 1: Now's the time. It's so interesting me because when we first did the Very Prairie Summit, which was very much your idea and your baby several years ago, everybody wasn't talking about Perry and in that time, as you say now. But the thing is is that and that was so groundbreaking and information heavy, but things change really quickly, and so this is like a complete update. So it's all those issues from weight to sleep. I did the sleep on It changed my life. From weight to sleep. I did the sleep interview, and I found out about first sleep, second sleep, and it's changed my world. It's a bit like first Breakfast, Second Breakfast.
Speaker 3: I after doing the last I was in it when I did the the last Summer that we did a few years ago. I went on HRT after that because of what I learned, and so there's a lot of information. A lot of women have questions about hirt. We're not advocating any particular source of treatment, but we're just explaining all the options and why all of this is happening with actual experts.
Speaker 1: It's so really up to date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you think about how much it will cost just to see one specialist, you've got access to more than twenty. So if you go to verypery dot com dot au, we'll put a link in the show notes. And if you've got someone a little bit hot in your life, tell her about it.
Speaker 1: I was a good praisi, bit of a passag prazie, but still yeah.
Speaker 2: Can I go next? I'm recommending a product. It is a hair product. It's an oil that is nine dollars from Big w or you can buy it online from Monday hair Care.
Speaker 1: Oh I love hair oil. Do you like it? Because I've got lots of hair on you guys.
Speaker 5: Okay, I've now joined the long hair brigade.
Speaker 2: So I'm not a hair person. I've talked about this before, so I like products. I make it as easy as possible. Recently, something that I've decided to quite quit is blow drying my hair because my arms get too tired. Okay, but I want my hair to dry because I don't want to get a head cold.
Speaker 1: Because it's winter and it's very, very cold. I agree.
Speaker 5: I do like a bit of air drying, but not in winter.
Speaker 2: So I towel dry it and then I put in this oil and it makes it dry much quicker, especially if you're washing your hair at nighttime.
Speaker 5: I brush it through. How much do you put in?
Speaker 1: I put in probably like a five cents piece.
Speaker 5: Sounds greasy though.
Speaker 1: Not in your roots.
Speaker 2: You put it in like this part of down, so you don't know what would say?
Speaker 1: Ears down? Yeah, ears down?
Speaker 2: And then I put my hair in a bun or braids and sleep on it. And I wake up and it's dry, and it's also silky and soft, and it's no split end, and it's no frizze.
Speaker 5: The frizze is something that's appar Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do have to talk about some feedback I got from my last product recommendation, because this one is kind of similar. The last product I recommended was a hair missed and I got some feedback by Too Lovely.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: They're saying they didn't like the scent of it. So if you don't like sugary sweet scent, which is what this one is, you might not like it. But the thing is is like when your hair dries, the scent doesn't like it's not as concentrated as in its oil form.
Speaker 1: Hair just smells.
Speaker 5: Smell yeah, Oh it smells lovely.
Speaker 1: Like light strawberries. I use it. I use hair oil not when I'm washing my hair. Maybe I should, but like when I'm so light today, I just put some in before I came in. Oh, you can do that to make it shiny hair cap yet, no, we don't do We don't do that. What about the hair towels that I I love that, yeah, and loving my head?
Speaker 2: Those are great hair hair towels because they have their microfiber so they dry really quickly.
Speaker 5: Those Juny towels grain really good.
Speaker 3: Female founded business their microfiber, they're really good.
Speaker 1: I got a.
Speaker 5: Funny video of all of us. We I have to locate that in my fire.
Speaker 1: I love the hair towels. You have introduced me to the very concept of hair towels in the first place, that you can wrap the round but it's not heavy like a big bad I was always breaking my neck with big fast towels on my head until you taught me about this. I believe you don't have the right heir, gadget. I don't know how I lived with without you. Okay, what do you have? I have a recommendation that is in memory of the great man we lost this week, Sam Neil. Now we mentioned this on Tuesday's show because he's obviously really famous for lots of really big movies like your favorite Jurassic part Yes, but my family loves Sam Neil for Hunt for the Wilder People, which Mia mentioned is one of her favorites. To love that field. That movie is like cry, laugh out loud. It is so good. It is Taikawa t at his absolute best. Obviously, I have a lot of Kiwis. My partner is a Kiwi and I've always had a soft spot for Kiwi men. A fun fact, he is my third long term Kiwi boyfriend. I know, yeah, three out of but he he is. I look, Kiwi men are great and Sam Neil is a good illustration of why even though originally he's Irish, but he moved to New Zealand. Seven like no nonsense, kind like funny, sort of just good dudes, right, And this is one of the most Kiwi movies ever. Taikawa tit It is absolute finest.
Speaker 5: Why is it so good?
Speaker 1: I love it too? It's where comfort watch well on the suit. It hits the sweet spot, which is my favorite kind of film, which is where sentimental meets humor. So it's not so sentimental that it's like a vomity, but it's very heartwarming, and I think that's what Taikwa t does really well when he's on his when he's on form. So it is about as as we mentioned, it's about this boy he's called Ricky Baker, who became like an icon in New Zealand. By the way. He's played by this this young lad called Julian Dennison, Ricky Baker who's this kind of wrong and from the city, who gets a teenager who gets sent to live with this old couple in the bush, and then the woman unexpectedly dies and he and Sam Neil's character, Heck, go on the run. And it is so funny and so quirky and has so many really interesting side characters in it. But it's a great family movie, and it's still if it's the end of school holidays and you're just like, what are we doing? Watch for the Wilder People. It's on Prime you can obviously rent it, but it's also on Prime Video if you subscribe to that, and it is one hundred percent worth it, and it will remind us all of what great work that man did. That is all we have time for today. Out Louder is Oh, actually it isn't, because there is a little treat, a little out Louder book Club giveaway. Tell us about that, So we have a little giveaway.
Speaker 2: What we did was we got together and we listed two of our all time favorite books and mea your favorite books, hold yours the twins Amelia's mine, and we put it together to give a really big twelve book giveaway to a lucky Mamma Mia. Subscribe. If you're already a mom and mea subscriber, you don't need to worry. You're already in the running to win this. But if you want all of our favorite books, now's your time.
Speaker 1: Traits, I don't want to join any spoilers, but Prince Harry Spare might be in it. I wonder who recommended that chose that one like honestly, so hit the link in the show notes. If you're not Anna, you'll be in with a chance of winning. Bye. That has all we've got time for out loud as it really is now we will be back in your ears on Monday. We went great weekends. Bama Mea acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we've recorded this podcast.