Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast. Hello, I'm Kate Langbrook and welcome to No Filter. So this summer we've curated a special No Filter playlist, unmissible conversations with extraordinary Australians whose stories remind us of what authenticity, or courage or love really look like. And today we're bringing you one of the most joyful, the most honest, the incredible g flip. GE's about to kick off their massive Australian tour in February, returning home to play the songs that are taking them around the world. But behind the music is a story about identity, drive and the kind of love that changes everything. G opens up about growing up in Melbourne, losing their beloved drum teacher, finding their sound, falling in love with this selling Sunset star Krishelle Staus and how the two of them are heading into the new year with big life changes and even bigger dreams. This is g flip raw, funny, beautifully unfiltered g flip.
Speaker 2: The last few years. To be honest, it's an IVF. It's been a real struggle and we've had so many ups and downs, and for anyone that goes through that whole process, like hopeful moments and then sad moments, and then there's a little bit of hope, and then it all backfires and then it's going starting again.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to No Filter. I'm kateline Brook and today we're diving into the world of g Flip and what a world it is. G Flip is one of Australia's most exciting boundary pushing musicians, and from their breakout hits to life behind the scenes, g shares the moments that shape their journey from the highs of touring and performing too very personal stories of love, relationships and family. In this episode, we hear about the chance encounter that led to meeting Krishelle Staus, how their friendship turned into love, and what it's really like navigating life and relationships in the very public eye. Plus, g Flip opens up about the challenges of IVF, the joy of celebrating love with annual weddings, and how they stay true to themselves no matter what the world throws at them. This is g flip raw unfiltered, and I think you'll find utterly captivating. G flip Yell you straddle continents. Do I love a straddle? I love estratu. But you're with us now. So you're in Sydney. I'm in Melbourne, I'm in your hometown. Yes, I was just there yesterday. And what were you doing here? I flew in yesterday.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to fly in and have a day off in Sydney, so because my family aren't here. So sometimes I will fly into Melbourne just for a few hours to see my family, then get straight back to the airport and fly to Sydney.
Speaker 1: So how was that. What did you do? Were you at the house.
Speaker 2: Or Yeah, so just at my place in Melbourne and my sister and my brother in law and their little niece. My little niece, so their little baby who's one and a half and name's Betty Moon.
Speaker 1: She's so cute.
Speaker 2: So just hung out on the couch with them for hours until I went straight back to the airport.
Speaker 1: And that's what I do. And how often are you getting to do this? Because your life has I'm going to say, in the last five years, what does it feel like to you where it's kind of just gone stratospheric? I think.
Speaker 2: Probably after COVID, So before COVID, my career started, like I became like a professional musician. I started doing this as my day job, and then I tried to move over to LA at the start of twenty twenty, had my flight booked, my bags packed, and then called then yeah, COVID happened, yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: Took me till September twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Then I went over to the States to live, and then from there on it just got a bit more hectic. So now I try to visit every three to four months come back.
Speaker 1: What was it about LA that was calling you?
Speaker 2: Definitely the music industry, just the industry over there. It's like no other It's like nowhere else in the world that there's that many producers, that many musicians, that many like you know, if I'm in in Australia, it's like there's no city that's like LA, Like Hollywood is crazy over there, and it's so vibrant, and it's just everyone's over there and everyone's doing it. And I wanted to take my career to the next level. And I always thought, you know, that was going to be the next step for me. Is I want to be known as an Ossie artist, but also an artist known in other territories rather than just in Australia, so the jump.
Speaker 1: And have access to people that you can collaborate with and who you yeah, exchange creative juices with exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, my plan was always to move over there at some point.
Speaker 1: So and when you say always, so you are little Georgia Flipo living in Melbourne, Yep. What was Georgia Flippo like a kid? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was very extroverted and like my older sister, was quite shy and would hide behind like mum's legs where we were anywhere, and I would be I almost needed a leash. I would be like sprinting into every room and loud, and I was just not afraid. I had no fear as a kid, and I definitely had relentless, undiagnosed ADHD.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I was like, there's videos of me as a kid, and it's like, oh, yeah, that kid has ADHD.
Speaker 1: Right, so it seems so apparent now.
Speaker 2: Yes, and just so energetic and but I really couldn't focus. I didn't do very well in school. I was put in special like classes and I would have to stay back at like lunchtime and recess to like learn because I just I really sucked. I feel like academically, but then I had niche things that I knew everything about. So I had certain things I was obsessed with as a kid that I'd know every little detail about till I found music. And then it was music that I was obsessed with in drums that I wanted to know everything about. And then that took me to where I am now.
Speaker 1: And what because your dad was a muso, like amateur muso, but enjoyed it enormously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he always you know, we'd talk about it, and he always felt like he was meant to be a rock star, but his parents weren't as supportive of that idea. So he always, you know, supported me. He always supported me so much, you know, growing up and playing music and we'd jam in the garage and he drive me to all my first gigs as a fourteen year old, and he really.
Speaker 1: Backed me with all of it. Which is interesting because partly the parental thing. I understand, how many rock stars can they be in the world, do you know what I mean? And what's the likelihood of our kid being the rocks star? So parents always had this overriding oh, you need to make a sensible choice. But he saw something in you recognized obviously the same thing in himself. Yeah, and where did the drums come from? The drums?
Speaker 2: So my drums was my first instrument in my first love. I got my first drum kit when I was nine years old from my auntie and uncle because my cousin played drums and as a nine year old or eight year old, seven eight year old, I was obsessed with his drum kit. So on my ninth birthday, I got a little drum kit for my birthday and it was one of the greatest days of my life. And I remember they hid it in the lounde room of my grandma's house and unveiled it to me, and I remember my eyes just like popping out of my head.
Speaker 1: I was that excited about it. And because I imagine that was the greatest day of your life and maybe for a period, the worst day in the neighbour's life. Oh, when a drum kit rives in Yanana's house.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've never had a neighbor that likes me until I guess the last two years at Chrishelle's moving into Krishelle's house. But every other neighbor has hated me with a passion.
Speaker 1: Yes, because it's a I mean, it's not it's not something that you can do silently, is it. No, it's really not.
Speaker 2: And you can get like you get an electric drum kit, but it's not the same. So yeah, my neighbor growing up, he hated me, like hated me, hate.
Speaker 1: He would still be angry about me. Oh like really, And do you see that neighbor even now.
Speaker 2: No, he moved out when I kind of moved out of home.
Speaker 1: So yeah, oh that's annoying. That's really annoying because you want that kind of you want that redemption arc where you come into town on the tray truck that you're playing in your new film clip and the neighbors just got up suck it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I hope sometimes I think about when my tour poster is around on buses or I hope.
Speaker 1: He sees it.
Speaker 2: He's like some people are like, I hope my ex sees my face, but I'm like, I hope that neighbor growing up sees me.
Speaker 1: It's a very interesting thing because I think things seem in retrospect if you look back, you're like, oh, that was my pathway, and my pathway was quite clear. It's lead you to here. Yes, when you were a kid. What did you see for yourself.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, So my first like, I think, it wasn't until I was I got my drums. Before I got my drums, I was obsessed with cars and I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Be a taxi driver. And then I got my drums.
Speaker 2: And then when I got my drums, everything changed, and I wanted to be a rock star or in a band. But I also thought maybe I wanted to get into acting. And then I also wanted to be a singer. So there was all these different things. But I never got singing lessons ever. I only ever had drum lesson.
Speaker 1: And so you thought, I mean, when did you let the dream of being a taxi driver go?
Speaker 2: Wow? I know, I think when I was when I got my drums. I think when I was like nine years old, then the taxi driver went away. I just was obsessed with cars as a kid. I knew every make and model. I'd research, you know, what fuel injection each model would have, and what alloy wheels would come with each model, and like all I wanted to do on a weekend is go to car yards with my dad.
Speaker 1: It was this weird obsession I had.
Speaker 2: Wow, A taxi driver, and then yeah, I got drums, and then I think it started to form that I wanted to be a musician, which.
Speaker 1: Is just as well because I mean, AI hasn't overtaken the skill of a drama yet. But there is a thing called Uber that has meant that a lot of taxi drivers are not leaving their destiny that they drink for themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, I still love driving cars. You know, maybe later in life I'll become an Uber drum My stepdad's an Uber driver, so yeah, you never know.
Speaker 1: And so when you talk to drumming, did you allow yourself to project a future in which that was going to be your life?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was always in me, and I like really fell in love with drums, and I had this passion. It was the only thing that I could stay still and do. I couldn't really stay still and do anything but drums. I would sit there for hours. And then it wasn't until I met my drum teacher in year seven, Jenny Rose Morrish, who was like, to me, like the coolest person, and I wanted to be exactly like them.
Speaker 1: They were like the.
Speaker 2: Coolest chicken played in a band and sang backing vocals and then having her my teacher. I feel like when your brain is like forming at those like early teenage years and you're figuring yourself out and what your dreams are going to be and what you want to be when you're older, and who you want to look up to. She really became my person who I wanted to be exactly like. And so she was a drummer in a band, so I wanted to be a drummer.
Speaker 1: Those people are so important. And if you're a kid that is a little bit different, or probably any kid really, but especially if you're a kid that feels a bit different, all it takes is one person to see you and to see the complete you that you can't even necessarily see yourself at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to change everything. One hundred and definitely. Jenny was that for me, and that I think drums took me on a path and then Jenny just like solidified that path and then it never it never ended, and.
Speaker 1: Then she wanted what for you?
Speaker 2: So she after high school did a Bachelor of Music and made it in percussion, and I wanted to do the exact same course as her because I wanted to do everything she did so I wanted to study music and major in drums, and she helped me with my auditions to get into you need it to study music, and then I got in, and then not too long after that, she passed away. And then I kind of remember wanting to go on a mission to fulfill everything that we talked about growing up and like her us in the practice room in high school because she taught me for my whole high school. We talk about how we're going to tour the world and we're going to see America and we're going to live on a tour bus and we're going to do this and all the coolest things. So when she passed away, it was like really, it really hit me, like holy shit, Like I want to go do everything that we talked about.
Speaker 1: You know the day that you got into your course, which those auditions are intense, Yeah, like many are called, but few were chosen. Yes. Who was the first person that you called when you got in?
Speaker 2: Ah? I think I got an email. So I remember like screaming at home and then yeah, texting Jenny because we went through all the drum pieces together and like and I knew I was going to get in because I practiced so hard, like I was so ready for it, but yeah, Jenny and then my family who were home, because I just wanted to get into that course because it was based not on academics so ye, which I wasn't good at. So yeah, I was like, like, I really really wanted to get in there and study music. And then during that course is when I realized that I would always seen backing vocals. But there was this one class we had where there was too many drummers and not enough singers. So I put my hand up to be the lead singer. When I was I think I was like at nineteen or twenty, and I sang James Brown, and the university thought I was really good that they asked me if I wanted to move over to the singing course on the drumming course, and that was kind of the first taste that I just didn't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know I could sing well.
Speaker 2: And then that really gave me the confidence because I've never had a lesson, so that gave me the confidence to be like.
Speaker 1: Oh, maybe I'm an alright singer. I guess that's interesting because when I first heard about you, I was living initially, and in fact it was our mutual friend Pete Hellier who told me about it. Oh, my Collingwood brother. Yeah, you're Collingwood brother. Boom haha. But I was at the time thinking I don't really know many singing drummers. I knew Cram from Spider Base. Yes, love Cram, Yeah, and that because it's not really a very common model. No, it's not.
Speaker 2: And growing up, Cram was one of the first people I saw drumming and singing.
Speaker 1: Oh really Yeah.
Speaker 2: And now he's a buddy of mine and we've played some shows together, but he was kind of the first person I ever saw on TV singing and drumming, and that really opened up my eyes. And especially because Jenny did backing vocals. Then it made me learn and then we.
Speaker 1: Used to practice. Jenny taught me.
Speaker 2: She'd make me drum and then have a conversation with her so I could put my body on autopilot. She'd asked me questions.
Speaker 1: Right, which means that later on, when you're singing, yeah, you can drum and the lyrics will come. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It just puts my body. My body's always on autopilot. And basically all I'm thinking about is the singing and remembering lyrics. My body is on autopilot. And because Jenny taught me that from a young age, I used to just drum while my brain's just thinking about answering questions that she's asking me.
Speaker 1: So that split my brain kind of into and for the ADHD that would actually be really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love doing multiple things at once because my brain how it works is I've got like a tab open of like ten files in my brain that is thinking all the time. So yeah it yeah, but cram and Yeah inspired me a lot, and then yeah, I just started writing my own music.
Speaker 1: Then do you think that Jenny saw you? So she saw the musical side of you, But that's a very intimate relationship between a teacher who's taught you so much. Yes, and, like I said, sees the entirety of you. What did she say of you when it comes to gender? Do you think.
Speaker 2: I think with gender back then, it wasn't in our vocabulary, It wasn't talked about, Like not being non binary wasn't really a thing then. But being like queer and like being a lesbian. I think she definitely saw me because she said I remember her saying something to me when I was like, I'm going to say like fourteen or something.
Speaker 1: She's like she said something like, one day when.
Speaker 2: You're older, like you'll figure out like who you truly are and it's going to be so magical for you said something in like in those words.
Speaker 1: And I always remember it, and I always remember being like, what did she mean?
Speaker 2: And then it wasn't until later that, like I first got with a woman for the first time, that I was like, man, like, Jenny knew me so like she and she also said I remember her saying, I don't know what you're going to do with your life, but it's going to be it's going to be something like And it makes me like tear up when I think about it.
Speaker 1: Because it's like, oh my god. So I really feel like she's like a guardian name do it to me or something like that. Yeah, well she is, Yeah, yeah she is, and she was and she is because I think when you have a relationship like that, the energy of it stays with you. Yeah, and now you're carrying her dreams as well. Yeah, like beyond beyond I would think imagining. Did you imagine stuff for yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I always like it's almost like I was delusional, like I really thought every everything was possible, I thought, like if I wanted a drum for the biggest artists in the world, like I can figure out a way to make that happen. Like I always thought everything was possible, Like there was never anything that I thought wasn't possible. And I don't know where I got that from, and I don't know how that happened, but that's always how my brain operated. So when it came to me deciding to stop playing drums for other people, because I did that for a while, playing drums for other bands, and when I really decided to change gears and that I'm going to go for being a solo artist now, because it was always kind of knocking at me in the back of my head, being like, you should be a solo artist, you should be a solo artist. But I was always kind of hiding behind the drums and playing for other bands.
Speaker 1: And session is session is like dreams for some people as well, Like there's no shame in that. No, No, you had the calling. What did that feel like? That calling?
Speaker 2: I just remember when I was like fourteen fifteen, so I always played drums, but then I started teaching myself guitar and piano, and I'd run. I'd run home from the school bus and before my family all came home, I just want alone time so I could write songs.
Speaker 1: And I'd play on my.
Speaker 2: Little shitty cassio keyboard and my first little guitar, and I'd just write songs. And I remember delusionally thinking like, these songs are so good, like I am such a good songwriter, and they would be horrible songs. But I remember the delusionalness in my brain being like encouraging me made me thought that I was a really, really talented songwriter, and I was like, these are such good songs, They're so catchy. And then that kept carrying on, and while I was playing drums for other people, I was always writing songs and then teaching myself how to produce music and record music. So always in my head it was like, oh, it's also the band I was playing with, we we couldn't share song ideas. It was just his songs, so then I couldn't have input.
Speaker 1: With your brilliant songs that you were writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, it was always when that band, the last band I played for, finish, then it was like, I think it's time to do this solo thing, and you know, the way that my brain works is like, it's always possible, so we'll figure out how to get there.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say delusional, but you weren't delusional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think it's at the I find a lot of people that I've met that have, I don't know, become successful musicians. It's this crazy belief we have in ourselves when we haven't even sharpened our skills yet. Like when those like I used to think then that, oh, yeah, I'm going to be a super successful artist. But my skills like I could barely sing, like could barely rock a guitar solo, like, my skills weren't sharpened. And now that I'm older, I can identify that and look back and be like man like the confidence I had. The confidence was insane like, and I was never outwardly arrogant about it.
Speaker 1: I never told anyone this.
Speaker 2: I always kept it as my little secret that I wanted to be a solo artist.
Speaker 1: I never shared it with anyone. Coming up after the break, g Flip recalls the moment they went from music teacher to music artist overnight. You knew that you were going to get into. Was it the conservatorium?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was a Bachelor of Music majoring in drums.
Speaker 1: Now you said when you were talking about that, you knew you were going to get in because you'd worked so hard. Yes, Now, I reckon that's a through line, and that's the divide between people that might have some delulu notion about what what they want for their future, yeah, versus what makes that happen. Yeah, and your work ethic is phenomenal, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do work a lot. I don't know how to not work. Actually, it's more it's kind of unhealthy. But Yeah, even with those auditions, I would practice, rehearse everything that they were going to even ask me. So I'd thought about every possible question they could ask me. So I had rehearsed, sharp, perfected answers. And even when i'd audition for bands you'd have to audition three songs, I'd learn their entire catalog just in case and backing vocals, so that when i'd go into an audition, I could be like, Hey, you've played those three songs all day. How about we played this song or that song or that song. So I think for me, I've always over prepared, like so so so much that it's like if I did an audition like it'd be really hard to turn me down. So even with my career, I did absolutely just everything possible. So it felt like I'd open the door in so many avenues that at least one of the routes is going to work.
Speaker 1: Because I always think there's so many ways to fuck yourself up, and there's so many ways that the external world can trip you up as well. You don't need to trip yourself up through lack of preparation. No, no, yeah, And at what point did you go did you start to feel the momentum of all of that coming together. So you're singing, you're drumming, you've got the call to America. Was there a moment where you went, oh, I think, I think g Flip's going to do this.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, there was definitely one defining moment.
Speaker 1: So after I.
Speaker 2: Left that last band, I gave myself one year to basically find management or a label. And I had no connections in the Australian music scene, but I gave myself about a year to figure it out. So I made Excel spreadsheets of the whole music industry in Australia. I had everyone's details from Triple J all the booking agents, Spotify playlisters, and I made this insane spreadsheet of the whole music industry, and then I would I was just I was so relentless. I was just insane, and I wanted to write my hit list of who I wanted to be, my publicist and my booking agent. And then I wrote as many wrote and produced as many songs in my bedroom and it's all I thought about.
Speaker 1: For a year.
Speaker 2: I went sober, I didn't really see my friends. All my friends would come over on the weekend and help me make my spreadsheets.
Speaker 1: Was very cute of them crafting.
Speaker 2: And then it was I started going to all these in the Australian music scene. They have like Music Week in Melbourne, and they have Music Week in Sydney, and you'd go listen to managers and labels talk about the industry. And I would go there and my whole plan was that I'm going to talk to that manager afterwards and give him my demos, and I'm going to talk to that booking agent and learn more about the industry.
Speaker 1: And I was just so obsessed with it.
Speaker 2: And then this one manager, I walked up and said, Hey, you should listen to my demos. I'm like Dave Grohl from Nirvana, played drums in a band, but now I'm a lead singer and I write the music. And you're going to love my demos if you give me a shot, just have a listen. And he looked at me and said, your confidence is so crazy. I'm actually going to listen to your demos. And then he listened to the demos and then sent me a message and said, hey, come to my office Monday morning. And then I remember just driving my car and calling my dad and being like holy shit, like holy shit, and I'd worked the whole year to the point and I got my database and I was about to blast email everyone but my demos, but then that one manager heard it first and then he wanted to sign me for management and label.
Speaker 1: So then I took his name.
Speaker 2: And then I messaged as many people as I could in the Australian music industry and said he wants to sign me, so you should listen to my demos. And then everyone that I sent them listened to my demos. And then I just got to meet heaps of different people in the music industry and kind of.
Speaker 1: Pick my turn yourself into a bidding war.
Speaker 2: I did yeah, Wow, yeah, And then that all happened, and at the same time I had my first single about You that and I was obsessed with Triple J on Earth to this platform, and I was a super user. I was so obsessed with that I would write reviews because I knew at some stage I'm going to have a single and I want to have a direct contact that I can give my song to them. Because this was about this is how my brain works.
Speaker 1: I wanted every.
Speaker 2: Avenue to work, so even the Triple J thing, I was a super user. And then Max Quinn, I had his email and this doesn't mean that you get on the air, but it means you just have the email of the guy that works at Triple Jay on Earth for me to just send him and be like, hey, I uploaded a song today.
Speaker 1: And then it was this was the day that.
Speaker 2: To answer your question, that I remember everything feeling like, holy shit, I think it's going to work. Is that song that I uploaded to Triple Jay on Earth blew up? And then went on the air on Triple J and started going psycho online. And then I remember going to bed that night and I've documented all of this, actually all of this story, I'm telling.
Speaker 1: You the christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's real life videos of me talking about it, but I have a video of me going to sleep that night and being like, holy shit, I don't think I'm going to have to, you know, teach drum lessons anymore. And I don't think I'm going to have to hand out pamphlets at rod Laver Arena anymore. Like I think I'm I think I've made it. Even though it was just the first I just got a spin. But it just made me think that, oh, I think I'm going to be okay here and I'm going to be able to do this for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: So did you send a little preyer up to Jenny at that time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. Obviously Jenny's always in the back of my head. And when the song came out, it was actually it was on her birthday. Oh really yeah, oh really see that I get these two confusis when she passed words on her birthday, but those dates vercant. Yeah, that was pretty special. And yeah, and then I just woke up and then everything changed and I had to message all because I was teaching drum students in my bedroom and I had to message them all and say I'm so sorry, I won't be able to teach all of you anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, you dragged them straight away. Yeah, my life changed the next day. Wow, And like when you say changed, what did that look like? Gigs or appointments or sessions.
Speaker 2: So my song went viral online and it hadn't even been released yet. It was just on Triple J on the website, so it wasn't even a release song. I just uploaded it to the website platform. But overnight it went global and it became Pitchfork's Best New Song, which is like a big deal in the US. And then I started getting gig offers at south By Southwest in Texas, which was in two weeks time, so I had two weeks to find a band and then play my first show, which luckily, I'm such a freak and I prepared my whole entire show already, so I was ready for that exact moment, because if I hadn't planned it all out first, I would have been in trouble. But I already had my show and my band members and thought exactly about what my live show would be. So then two weeks later from there, I was in the States and playing my very first show, and that was that your.
Speaker 1: First time in the States. No, I'd been in the States before drumming for other bands, right, but in your own right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first time being g G Flip And then yeah, I had my first show as g Flip and yeah.
Speaker 1: Then it began and it never stopped. No, it never stopped. And then concurrently with that, because I do believe that when as an artist, particularly, the more that you can step into yourself, the more everything else blossoms. Yeah, and so often those things that you grapple with about yourself or that you think you can't share are the very things that give you that are the wind in your wings. So with your I don't know, do you say self discovery or your revelations about yourself or your non binary thing, your what was the compulsion then that you went, I just need to share this with the famous Hey motherfuckers, I'm non binary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess. I was overtly queer and I had multiple partners that I'd write songs about, and you know, my music videos they were very queer leaning. And then just as I evolved as a human being, I learned about what being and I would see like Sam Smith and Demi Levado at the time, and people would come out non binary, and I educated myself on what that was, and then I remember like really reading and understanding it and then being like, oh, oh my god, that's like so me to a t. And then when I would try to explain being non binary to my friends or family members, then I would kind of use myself as an example, and it just felt it's just so me.
Speaker 1: I just feel so.
Speaker 2: Non binary, and if you don't get it, it's because you're probably not non binary. Like I just feel so like a blend of genders. I just feel like the most gender smoothie motherfucker ever. And I felt like that from a very young age. I'd look at myself in the mirror and I'd be like because I went to Catholic school, and I'd be like, wow, God, really he ran out of girl insides and brain and I think he just put a bit of boy brain or insides in me, because I'd feel like a mix. And I'm like seven years old, eight years old thinking that, and then to me like, that's the most non binary thing, for most non binary thing for seven year old to think.
Speaker 1: That that God made you that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and obviously then there was no vocabulary for being non binary, Like I didn't know that was a thing. But I look back on my childhood and it just it. Being non binary makes so much sense I've always felt, and for every non binary person, it's different where you fall on the spectrum. But I feel pretty fifty to fifty in the middle of like female male, mix of gender, and that's the best way I can describe it. That's just who I am, and I don't know how to change it. So when people get in my DMS being hectic, it's.
Speaker 1: Yes, can't change this. Yes, when you told your family didn't make the same sense to them, or to your mom, or to your dad, or to your sister. Who who of them was the one that was like, yeah, I see that the most, Probably my sister the most.
Speaker 2: I feel like my mom and dad kind of didn't understand it because it was quite a while ago. Now so I feel like now they're so educated on it because I'm their kid, but back then they did struggle to understand pronouns and just figure out And I feel like for that age group, like they're in their early sixties, so it is kind of harder. But for them to grapple the idea of it.
Speaker 1: I saw your dad do a cute thing actually on Sixty Minutes where he said sometimes I miss GenEd them. Yeah, and I thought that what that is? You just ask for people to rise to meet you.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, it's you know, and it's kind of a respect thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, that's what I go by.
Speaker 2: And like, even if you stuff it up and completely fail and stuff up my pronouns, as long as you're like, oh fuck, sorry, G and then you correct yourself or just correct yourself, like so many of my mates will accidentally say she and then be like they and then just keep talking and you know, it's it's normal.
Speaker 1: After this short break, g Flip takes us inside their relationship with wife Krishelle. Don't go anywhere. How was your meeting with Krishelle? Because at that point, so she's a massive star in the States. Yes, selling Sunset. She's had romantic entanglements on that show. She's been doing it for so long. There's no secrets about her life. Really no. And then you two meet, you meet at a party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our first meet was at a Halloween party that tones and I.
Speaker 1: Had, Ah, what was your costume?
Speaker 2: I was a skeleton, and so was Chrishelle. Oh really, so that's why we have a thing with skeletons, since I've got skeletons tattooed on my arms and our wedding rings have skeletons on them. Oh so, yeah, we met. She was a really hot skeleton. I got my my I literally found like some eyeliner pencil and just like blacked my eyes out and found like a kid's T shirt from Target that had bones on it and run it sleeves off. So I was a fifteen buck skeleton. She was like, I really put together good looking skeleton.
Speaker 1: Well, she is a very good looking skeleton. She's yeah, she's insane looking. And from the moment you met the skeletons, like, what was that moment you were introduced to each other, or you went up and you talked to her, or she came up to you. Can you remember your encounter, your skeleton encounter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first time we met was one of Tone's best mates, Talia was at the front of this venue and.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, gee, come over meet Michelle.
Speaker 2: And then I was like all right, and then I just came over and we shook hands and I said hey, and she said hey, and then I was like, like, you're real, like a really good looking skeleton and I'm not so good looking skeleton. But it wasn't like romantic or anything. It was just like a friend group meeting a friend group. It wasn't till like six months later or something that then some barks flu yeah.
Speaker 1: Which is was I mean, probably more straightforward for you m at that time than it was for her because she didn't think that she was gonna be a lesbian or no. Right, she was straight as far as she knew, and maybe Stille's but loves who she loves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she doesn't really know what to call herself, Like the word is really pan sexual, and when you're pans sexual, you're just attracted to energy. It's not really a gender, it's the person. But she personally hates the word pansants.
Speaker 1: It is it's sort of hard to casually toss toss that in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a kind of ugly word. So she's like, no, I don't want to identify as that. So she just says like she falls in love with energy and people and who they are, and I guess you know that's the case with us, And yeah, we've been together now over three years.
Speaker 1: And that's amazing because I love I've heard you tell the story about when you asked her out after you'd had a couple of you know, encounters, and she said, I'm really sorry, yeah'm straight.
Speaker 2: Yes she did, but you were like, I just thought, well, we haven't been been very straight together recently, That's what I thought, Like the last few times we've had little kisses here and there that wasn't very straight darling, But yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: But I just said, oh, okay, no worries.
Speaker 2: And then a few like a week after, I sent her some houses that I was because she's a real estate agent and I was going to try rent a house in La after tour my tour finished. So I sent her some houses and I was like, is this a good price range for where it is and the location and whatever? And then she offered to come and look at the houses with me. And then that was our first date.
Speaker 1: A did you know at the time it was a date or it was only in retrospect?
Speaker 2: I think I knew it was a because yeah, in my head, she just told me she was straight and not interested. And then when I rocked up to the house, I was in the car, and I looked out the window and saw her walking down the road to the house, and she was like adjusting her face makeup or something and looking incredible, Like I knew she'd taken time to get ready. And she remembers, like in her words, she would say like when she was getting ready that day, she was getting ready like she was going to meet someone that she had a crush on, Like took that extra time and tried on different dress. No, not this, And so then that's kind of when it clicked in her brain. And I think it clicked in mind because I was looking at like her walking down the street looking like an absolute fox, and then also just like she was doing something like putting lip stuff on or something. And then we were just at this house showing and we were just flirted the whole time, and then it never the flirting never.
Speaker 1: Ended, and it still hasn't ended, even though now you're an old married couple. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do a wedding once a year. We reknew our vows. It kind of started because our first wedding was so shotgun. We married after three months kind of dating, which I think a lot of the world think we got married like a year later when really we.
Speaker 1: Got We kept it a secret.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, we got married like three months after we started fully kind of dating. And then obviously we called our family and we decided the day of because we worked out we both had the day off the next day, so then we ended up deciding to go to Vegas and get married. Anyway, we called all our friends and family and they were all kind of like, what do you mean, Like they were very happy for us, but they were sad they were missing it. So we said, don't worry, we're going to do another one. Like so, then we're going to do another one. So then the next one was in Palm Springs so that our friends in LA could come, and then my family's like, but we can't make it, so.
Speaker 1: We're like, yeah, okay, we'll do another one.
Speaker 2: So then we did another one in Australia with all my family, and then this year we had other friends that missed out, so then we were like, okay, we'll do it.
Speaker 1: And then it just became the Wedding World Tour.
Speaker 2: So now we do a wedding every year, and you know, we're covering the base of a big wedding, which we probably that most people have with over one hundred guests.
Speaker 1: We're just slowly getting to all one hundred World War ten at a time. Yes, and what like your last one? Was it it was medieval? Was it then medieval? And you aren't? Were you a knight? I don't know, I was, Yeah, what were you? Was it a costume shop or was it? No? So arn't directed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, So all our weddings are planned one week in advance or less because our whole thing with weddings is we don't want to be stressed because we hate stress for weddings and it should be about love.
Speaker 1: So everything is so last minute planned.
Speaker 2: So really I had to just look on Amazon and see what could get delivered in time, and I bought.
Speaker 1: What was the description? What was the description of the costume?
Speaker 2: Some like Renaissance medieval royal coat?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and then I bought a sort I like the thought of having a sword that was called so I bought a foam sword and a sword holder. And then I wore some of Kroshelle's like leggings from her fitness and then I just wore these boots that I'm wearing right now.
Speaker 1: It was gorgeous. It was a bit Zelderish too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a bit fantasy, and we're not like into that stuff. It was kind of a joke, like it was a week out from when we're meant to be getting married, because we always have to do it in July, and I think it was Kroshelle was just like, what was if we did a medieval wedding, and I just looked at it. I was like, oh my god, that's so funny, like we should get a loop player, and then ks like we should get people who fight with swords, and we just were making each other laugh. And then we happened to look on Airbnb and there was a castle around the corner that you could hire just as an Airbnb. So then we were like, all right, let's book it, and then let's find some people to fight with some swords.
Speaker 1: You jousted jousted like you've verally jousted, and in fact, the relationship between the two of you is very lovely, and the happiness between you is you know, it's when you talk before about trolls and stuff, I'm like, partly I'm like, who can be bothered trolling in the face of what is objectively pure happiness?
Speaker 2: Yeah, still happens still people think, still think that our relationships fake, and we find that funny because God, we hang out all the time. Imagine having a pr relationship, having a hang out with each other all.
Speaker 1: And especially especially in Hollywood, because have you noticed as an Australian, I think part of the reason they love you is that you've got this really authentic, almost kind of old fashioned Australian energy, you know, Alarican and a bit relaxed and have alf instead of getting angry and being open, instead of closing the doors. So that to Hollywood must have been a shock. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I think honestly, just Krishelle not being with a man was the biggest shock. I think that really took Americans. And you know, a lot of the selling Sunset fan base isn't you know in states where it's you know, really common to have queer relationships, like Middle America's very like you know, the tradition. It's yeah, it's trad It's like, so it was really shocking to see her in a not with like a six foot man, you know, like it was it really made people crazy, and especially at that time when we came out public in a relationship like the dms and just the things that you just I just couldn't believe how much it affected people's days. Like, you know, there'd be Karen in Middle America just sweeping and then they'd be just so angry and then they'd have to get on their phone to like message me because they're just so furious that I'm with her.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was very eye opening to me about how people are homophobic or you know.
Speaker 1: Scared or fearful, fearful of things because I think fear and anger live kind of close to each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really interesting, and it still happens, to be honest, I'm still getting dms that people are so upset with my gender or that I'm with Koshelle, or that I'm queer, or you know, people are just they're angry at it. But it really just you know, in the end, it kind of does amuse me that someone is literally driving to the shops to buy some cereal and bread and milk and they just have to pull the car over to like message me how angry angry they are.
Speaker 1: Like what a crazy way to live?
Speaker 2: You know what, that you're just ticked off by someone existing, but.
Speaker 1: What you continue to do in the face of that is exist even more fully. Yeah. One, you know, I would never dull myself down. And by the way, on an unrelated note, I was also doing the project the night Krischelle came in, which was not long ago. Oh my goodness that the response to her was so beautiful, just so beautiful. Yeah, she's she's a great one. I know, I've really lucked out. She's an Arab one.
Speaker 2: When my family found out, like we're seriously going to be together, it wasn't just like a little fling. They all cried. They were like because they just thought she was the best person they ever met.
Speaker 1: So, you know, because Chrishelle's just spoken recently and I've heard you speak before too about and Krishelle's always been really open about the fact that she wants to have babies. Yes, and recently she came out and said that that wasn't working out so well.
Speaker 2: Yeah the last few years. To be honest, it's an IVF. It's been a real struggle and we've had so many gods, so many ups and downs, and for anyone that goes through that whole process, like it really takes a toll. And there's you know, hopeful moments and then sad moments, and then there's a little bit of hope and then it all backfires and then it's going starting again. So yeah, it's definitely been uh and the hormones. The hormones are rough hormones. And the amount of needles, like it's crazy. And surgeries and she's such a baller though. Whenever Krishelle has surgeries or has to go through anything where the doctor might give you pain medication, majority of the time she doesn't even take the medication. She's just a baller, Like her pain tolerance is insane. Like, so she's such a tough cookie. And you know, I admire I admire just everything and how strong she is and how she's taking all, you know, the news that we get, and she's just she's so amazing and she's such a brilliant and strong human being for everything she's gone through, not only with this whole process we're going through, but also her whole life, Like her story is pretty amazing. What she's got through to get to where she has. Her childhood was nothing like you would think and it's completely the opposite. So I just admire everything about her and where she's come from.
Speaker 1: You're very yin and yang. You know, there's something together that's so whole with the two of you together. I hope you're I hope your every dream comes true together because you're delightful and individually. Thank you for your gift of music and really being a great ambassador for Australia, which life not every Australian is. But I truly believe that your spirit and you get up and go is just glorious. That's very sweet. That's going to make me cry. The future is a big place. You have to narrow it down slightly to what is coming up. It's dream Ride.
Speaker 2: Yes, album's coming out September fifth. It's called dream Ride. It's a very eighties esque kind of album. I went really hard into the eighties world sonically with like big reverb on the drums and you know every drum is me playing it and a lot of sax solos and synth solos. And yeah, I'm really excited to release this record on fifth.
Speaker 1: We look forward to seeing you very much.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I'm coming back to Australia late feb and March to play shows in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth and I can't wait to come and play shows. Playing shows is my favorite part about my job, and I spend a lot of time trying to make my live show as good as possible, and I've been working on it the last week and yeah, it's going to be a ripper. So I can't wait and hope hopefully some people come out to see me.
Speaker 1: It's going to be good. Oh I think they will.
Speaker 2: Jenny's brother comes to my shows and they have a little girl who's a huge g Flip fan, their little daughter, so Jenny's niece, so it's very, very cute. And my last show I played in Melbourne, Jenny's brow and his wife came to that show and they gave me a pair of Jenny's last drumsticks, which is really special.
Speaker 1: Sure really yeah, yeah, it was really nice. Ah. Just the power of a teacher, I know, And that's what made me want to be a drum teacher.
Speaker 2: So then I followed in her, and then when she passed, I took over a lot of her drum students as well.
Speaker 1: And then you drop them to be Jefly now, and then I became Jeefly. Then I couldn't teach them anymore.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so yeah, Jenny's a big part and I have Jenny related tattoos all over my body too.
Speaker 1: You deserve everything good? And also what did you take? What do you take to Kara Delvine's party? What was in that big box? What was it? What was it? Do you want to know?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was like, I was literally like, this is really funny. Kara in bind me the party and I texted her and I was like, I'm getting you. I'm going to get you a real strange present. She's like, I can't wait looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: And then I was.
Speaker 2: Thinking, what do you get a girl that has it all, like, she's got everything?
Speaker 1: What do you get her?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I bet she doesn't own bagpipes? So that photo were present, there's bagpipes in this Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, I guarantee you something, and that is that U G Flip will learn to play them before she does. Do you know what?
Speaker 2: When I bought her the bagpipes, I might have bought myself some bagpipes too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she loved them. She thought they were great. Oh that's great, that's great. Well, god speed to you. Thanks for joining us on No Filter. Thank you for showing yourself nah, thank you so much, Kate.
Speaker 2: I remember driving from Dingley Village to Cheltenham to go to school every morning and listening to you in the car, and your voice has always been such a calming, warm energy. So that's why I tear up, because you're like always grown up with you at round.
Speaker 1: So I love it. Love you, Kate. Okay, I love you too, Kate. I think to know g Flip is to love g Flip because, like I said to them in our chat, there's something quintessentially Australian about them, a sense of mischief, a sense of joy, a sense of She'll be right, but also so cool, so themselves, so talented. G Flip has really done it all, from chart chopping jams to the emotional rollercoaster of IVF. They fell hard and fast for Chrishelle along the way and are really making it work. And I think there's magic in someone who lives their life full volume and flips the script at every turn, or should I say the script. Make sure you subscribe to No Filter, because the world needs more voices like this and we deserve to hear them. The executive producer of No Filter is Nama Brown. The senior producer is bree Player. Audio production is by Jacob Brown, and video editing is by Josh Green. This episode was recorded with Session in Progress Studios and I'm your host, kateline Brook. Thank you so much for listening. If you're looking for more to listen to, every Mumma Mia podcast is curating your hot girl summer listening right across our network. From pop culture to beauty to powerful interviews. There is something for everyone and you will find the link in the show notes. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.