Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. We pay our respects to elders, past, present and emerging, and feel privileged to continue the sharing of birth stories and knowledge that has been a fundamental part of Indigenous culture.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I am Cassania Lukic and this is diary of a birth. Part of the reason I love doing this podcast is creating awareness for some of the lesser known complications of pregnancy and birth, not to scare our listeners, but to help inform and educate. After finding out she had a low egg count, Today's mum went down the IVF route, but it wasn't until after her baby was born that things really became more complicated.
Speaker 1: I ended up losing quite a lot of blood. My placenta had come out, but she said, I think there's some placenta still inside you, so I have to actually manually go in and scoop it out.
Speaker 2: After getting home and struggling to breastfeed, our mum knew something was up and she fought to get answers. So let's meet today's mum.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Anna Bamford. And this is the diary of my birth with Camilla.
Speaker 2: So Anna, We've kind of known each other for a few years. We used to work together back of the day, kind of cross paths multiple times, and I was so happy when you reached out to tell your story, because while it is a really difficult story, I think it's a really important one fast to share. So what I wanted to start with is kind of the challenges around falling pregnant for you for the first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I first fell pregnant at the end of twenty twenty two and it was a surprise and I couldn't get in to see a doctor until I was nine weeks pregnant, and that pregnancy ended up in a missed miscarriage. So I ended up having a DNC.
Speaker 2: So being based in the US in terms of finding fertility support and an IBF specialist, how does it work there?
Speaker 1: LA is really one of the most you know, people come to LA to do IVF. There are a lot of clinics here. I was lucky in that I was I'm very close friends with a girl who really struggled to get pregnant and she had a few different clinics that she had sort of interviewed or spoken with. So she shared those names with me and I, yeah, just started calling and asking what the process was. In that time, I also had another miscarriage, so that's sort of further you know, cemented for Tyson, my husband and I that we we really needed to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So two chemical pregnancies within the space of what six months?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so two.
Speaker 2: Chemical pregnancies in the space of six months. Low amh. High stress job. That's a lot of pressure on you and Tyson. So you find your doctor, you start going through the IVF process. How did you go with your sort of first round of retrievals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that surprisingly went really well, and you know the egg process of you have so many eggs and then you have so many embryos and it gets smaller and smaller, and we chose to also do the genetic testing with that, so we ended up, you know, with a certain number of embryos and decided to transfer pretty well straight away and were very lucky in that it was successful.
Speaker 2: How did you feel throughout your pregnancy overall?
Speaker 1: I felt amazing and so lucky, you know. I think we had had a year of really high stress, and I think also just being surrounded by a lot of friends that were, you know, doing the same thing or getting pregnant and sharing such amazing news. That was really tough. And there's some self preservation that comes along with that because you want to obviously be happy for them, but it's really tough. But the pregnancy itself, I was sick. I had pretty bad morning sickness for like the first fourteen fifteen weeks and it wasn't really until maybe about twenty twenty three weeks where I thought, Okay, I can relax here and really enjoy it. But yeah, the pregnancy itself was pretty straightforward.
Speaker 2: So at thirty eight weeks, you get induced because your body sort of started to be getting ready. Is that correct.
Speaker 1: I decided to get induced purely because she said she's measuring big, and this is what I think is the best course for you. And so I was induced at thirty nine and one. But the week before, at thirty eight weeks, we were about to go out for dinner and I went to the bathroom and I started bleeding, and so we went to the hospital and they did an ultrasound and they said, oh, you're a centimeter and a half dilated. You know, the baby could come tonight or into three weeks, So go home or go out to dinner, keep doing what you're doing, and call us if there's any change. And then I think a few days later, my mucus plug fell out and I thought, okay, my body is like getting ready, and I spoke to the doctor and she yeah. It wasn't until then that we decided, Okay, we're going to induce in like three days from now. So it was a real last minute call. But she had said, your body's already getting ready, so you won't need the gel, which is the first step of induction here, so we just went straight to the Foley balloon.
Speaker 2: So they put the Foley balloon in, which it basically is to help open the cervix exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was pretty manageable. It wasn't until they went to pull it out that the pain really really started. But I sort of wanted to feel that pain a little bit, so we went in at two am for my induction and I ended up getting an epi at about six centimeters dilated.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they gave you the balloon, you're doing your contractions and you're just in the hospital contracting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, naturally, Well, they gave me the balloon and potosin Okay to bring on the contractions, and they would come in every hour and turn up the potosin and she go, how are you going now? And I'm okay, I'm all right. She go, okay, all right, all right, And then I think it was about two pm when I got the epidural, but I remember her saying, do you still want to go to the bathroom? And I said, well, yeah, if I could. She said, all right, We're going to give you a walking EPI. It's sort of like a certain dosage so you can still be able to go to the bathroom. So I did that, and I remember when the anithetist came in and he was about to put the needle in my back and he said, oh, I don't know about this dosage. I don't know about the walking EPI. And the nurse was like, yeah, yeah, you know, it's like and they sort of went off to the corner and talked. And I have trust in medical professionals until they showed me otherwise. And that was a moment where I was like, oh my gosh, what is going on? And then the head an ethetist came in and she said, here, let me do it. And she talked to me and she was really calm. She was like, oh, you're having a baby, girl, that's so exciting. All right, the Eppie's done and walked out, and then I fell asleep and I went and I had a really nice nap for a couple of hours. And I woke up and you know, my husband's there in the room. I think we had watched like two movies or he had watched two movies, and I was sort of dozing on and off, and the midwife came in to check and she it was ten forty five and she checked. She went, well, you're nine centimeters dilated. You ready to push? And I was like, yeah, let's do this. So that is kind of how it went.
Speaker 2: And she came out perfect, perfect. You pushed fifty five minutes of pushing. Is he what I've got?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It was fifty five minutes of pushing. And the midwife called my obgyn and said she's ready to go, and my OBI said, well, why didn't you call me earlier? And she said, well, she just woke up and she's going to start pushing. And so my ob was at home, you know, and she had to drive in. Luckily it was like eleven at night. She got in for the last kind of half an hour of pushing, and yeah, she came out and was perfect. You imagine what it's going to be like. And for me, her coming out and being on my chest was really like as I'd imagined it.
Speaker 2: It like makes me tear up every time I talk about that moment with mums because for me, it's like such a visceral feeling that first time that they put on your chest. But the complications that you encountered were after Camilla came out. Can you tell us a little bit about what happened after Camilla was born?
Speaker 1: So she came out, was on my chest, and she she's always been a really strong baby. She lifted her neck or up and kind of we looked at each other and it was just like this amazing moment. My husband was there by my side, and we were just there in the moment. You know, it really feels like everything around you is muted out, you know, and you just kind of they're just that. It was like the three of us. And then I looked at my Obi and she had a look of concern on her face, and I said what's going on, Like, what's happening? And I had noticed at that point there was maybe six more people in the room than there was before she came out, and she said, oh, you're losing a lot of blood. I'm just trying to fix that right now. And I was like okay, okay, you know, and still sort of trying to just be in the moment, not really realizing what actually was happening. And I sort of looked at Tyson and he kind of kept looking down at her, and I saw his face starting to get more and more concerned as well. And then the nurse came up and said, oh, we're going to take your daughter and she's going to have skin on skin with your husband just over here, like I could see them. But we need to give you an injection to stop the bleeding, and some pills as well. And it all seems like such a blur, and I remember I took the the pills, but then I vomited them up straight away and it was all, yeah, it just felt like the room was spinning, and I ended up losing quite a lot of blood and she managed to stop the bleeding. My placenta had come out, but she said, I think there's some placenta still inside you, so I have to actually manually go in and scoop it out.
Speaker 2: So generally, I think what happens. That's why they check the placenta when you delivered the placenta. They need to make sure that they've got all of it out. But obviously yours had detached.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And so she said, I've got to go in, and obviously I had the EPI, so I couldn't really feel it, and she, yeah, put her hand in and scooped it out, I guess, And I remembered that her face. I could. I was just looking at her face and thinking something is not right. But I think in that whole time I was in shock. I remember feeling like nurses coming up to me and talking to me and literally seeing their mouths moving, but then hearing what they were saying like a couple of seconds later. Like it was a really surreal, scary feeling, but also wanting to just be with Cammi and my husband, and so then I stabilized and they moved me into postpartum at about three thirty am, and that was counted as night one, and we were in there for two nights. And I remember the next morning my obg Ayn came back, who delivered Camilla, and I said, I'm really scared. You didn't get all the placenta, and she said, I did. I did. I went in and I scooped it out and I got it and it's all good. But I could feel again and that something wasn't right. Camilla latched straight away, and I think this is where I get emotional, because I felt like I let her down, you know, in some way, like she was really like, they're on the boob, good to go, and I just could feel that I wasn't producing milk, and it was obviously very early, but I also wasn't even producing colostrum. You know. She was crying, crying and crying, and I was like, she's just hungry, Like she's really really hungry. I need a lactation specialist to come in here and help me. And the lactation specialists and the nurse are kind of coming up and like literally grabbing your boob and trying to get stuff out, and nothing was really coming out for me, and I just felt helpless because I knew I had lost a lot of blood, so I was really trying to hydrate and do all the things to get it going, but nothing was working. I mean I was getting the tiniest amount coming up. A week later, I went to the bathroom and this thing fell out of me and I was like, oh my gosh, this is some of my placenta.
Speaker 2: Did you get an iron infusion or a transfusion at all?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't.
Speaker 2: Do you know how much blood you lost?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I lost almost a later and a half.
Speaker 2: And they didn't give you an infusion or transfusion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. And I remember them really clearly saying, we might move you to another room to give you a transfusion, but we're monitoring the situation. I remember going okay, okay, and yeah, they never did because from what I remember and what Tyson remembers is I stabilized and they moved me into the postpartum ward. A later and a half is quite I know, a lot significant. Yeah, And I remember when we came home. Through my health insurance, I had I think it was twelve visits with a lactation specialist and she came over and I told her what was happening. She said, you know, you could have almost died. Like that was really scary, and I think it was only then that I realized the seriousness of the situation. And when we got home, you know, we were totally in love with Camilla and new parents and it was all really exciting, but the feeding thing was really I knew something was up. So I called the lactation specialist and she came over and she's talked to me about triple feeding. So triple feeding is when they tell you to first pump for thirty minutes, then put the baby on your boob for thirty minutes, and then the third one is top up with.
Speaker 2: Formula, basically trying to get your supply going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was I was doing all of that around the clock, like all the time, and my supply just was not increasing at all. And I said to my husband, like, I think this is something to do with my placenta. Like when the placenta comes out, that is what signals to the brain that it's time to start the milk. And he said, you know, I mean we both know now, but like he was like it's all right, Like the doctor checked, and the doctor did check anyway, So yeah, it was a whole really really hard situation to try and work out. And I think you know, before even having a baby, like, I hadn't thought about, oh what if my milk doesn't come in. I guess I was naive and I thought, Oh, it's just going to happen for me, you know. And so then a week later I went to the bathroom and this thing fell out of me and I was like, oh, my gosh, this is some of my placenta. And that was about ten thirty at night, and I was worried. I was like, am I going to start bleeding?
Speaker 2: How old was cammy at this time?
Speaker 1: One week? Exactly? A week?
Speaker 2: Okay, So a week after a piece of tissue falls out, Yeah, and you're like, this is my placenta. Your intuition is telling you, as it had since the hospital, that there was still placenta there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I kid you not. The next day my supply slightly increased, and I was like, oh my goodness, this is placenta. So I went back to the hospital the next day. My mom was here by that time, and I said, can you please do another ultrasound? Like I literally brought the piece of the thing that had fallen out of me in a glass jar to the hospital and I said, please, can you check this and they came back and they told me that it was a blood clot and it was no placental tissue whatsoever. And I was sort of none the wiser, you know. I thought, Okay, it's a blood clot. There you go. So then I went back home still continued the whole triple feeding thing. People listening are probably like, oh my gosh, girl, why didn't you just put the baby on formula? And in hindsight, I should have done it earlier, but I felt this annoying responsibility that I should try my hardest to breastfeed her. So I did that, and I think I would pump for like an hour and get like thirty mils of milk. It was really awful.
Speaker 2: I know exactly what you're talking about, that pressure that we put in ourselves to like, no, I need to breastfeed, and you kind of get like a bit obsessed. Again. I had a similar experience, and at one point I was like, for my mental health, I just need to stop, Like I can't do this anymore. Yeah, but I really want to get to your six week appointment. You went to the doctor and you insisted on them checking you again because something was still not right.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually went to the doctor at two weeks postpartum and I said, something's not right. My milk supply is not in and she prescribed me a pill to take to increase my supply. I went home. I was chatting with my mom and we looked up the side effects and they were like full on side effects. And that's when Mum said to me, Anna, you were fully formula fed. Your sister was fully formula fed. It is okay, and I think you have to come to terms with it in your own way. I think you can have so many people tell you like it's okay, but you really just need to get there yourself. You need to give yourself permission. So many people can tell you just put them on formula it's all good, but it takes time, and every woman is going to kind of make that decision in their own way and their own time.
Speaker 2: I agree with you one hundred percent. It really does need to be an individual decision. Because of the noise.
Speaker 1: And so many people were telling me, but it wasn't until like I had decided I am going to stop.
Speaker 2: Apart from the fact that your milk hadn't come in, was there something else telling you that there was still placenter in there.
Speaker 1: I was still bleeding at six weeks at my you know, six week appointment, and I had heard that the Lokier or Lockier changes in color and amount, and that stayed pretty constant for me. I also had this kind of it was like a pain in my stomach and I just had this like feeling as well, there's something still there. And even though you know, my husband, my mom, the doctor was like, nope, it's gone. I felt crazy. But I also was like, I have to just follow my instinct with this. And that brought me to my six week appointment, which I went in and she basically said, all right, so do you want to go back on the contraceptive pill, and you know, and we spoke a little bit about everything in the feeding situation and I was still trying, but really much more on formula at this point. And I think Cammie was getting like one bottle every three days of breast milk, if that gives you an understanding, and I'm you know, feeding around the clock. Anyway. I finally said at the six week appointment, I'd really like you to do an ultrasound and I just want to check. And she did an ultrasound, and she came back in and she said, yeah, there's something there, and I was like, oh, my goodness.
Speaker 2: Did you feel so vindicated?
Speaker 1: Then? Yeah, I felt totally gas lit. I know everyone throws that word around, but I felt really scared because I had read, obviously, because I was convinced. So I had read that, you know, people can get really sick when they have retained placenta in there that hasn't been taken out. And yeah, so I was really worried. And then she said, oh, we need to do a saline sono, which is when they put salt water up there and do an ultrasound with salt water in your uterine cavity to really look at what this is and where it is. So we did that and then she confirmed it again and she said, we're going to have to do a DNC to get this taken out. And I was like, I hate to say I told you so, you know, like it was just this awful feeling. And I also don't I really don't want to make this about the doctor. She was doing what she could the best she could with the information she had. You know, she's very experienced. I've sought her out so I don't want this to be like a thing about the doctor, because I saw a few different doctors.
Speaker 2: I think it's just more about advocating for yourself. And we are hearing a lot about this, like if you really feel something, really pushing for it no matter what anyone says, because what's the harm?
Speaker 1: And n octo sound exactly. And when I went in at two weeks and they gave me these pills, I asked for an ultrasound then and they said, no, just take these pills. We got all the tissue out, it's all good. And I really wish I pushed then, so went and had the DNC and then she said that there was a lot of bleeding in that DNC. So I wanted to go and get a second opinion. So I went to my maternal fetal specialist who I had seen throughout my pregnancy, and he did an ultrasound and the tissue is still in my uterus. So with placenta a creta, it's a very rare condition. It is becoming more known, but there are three sort of steps to it. There's a creta where the placenta attaches to the wall. There's in creta where the placenta actually grows into the wall of the uterus, and then there's per creta where the placenta grows through the uterus, and so he thinks that I have in creta where it's grown into my uterus, you know. So that was just another thing to face in the journey of it. But I think at the time he assured me that there was like no blood supply to that tissue anymore. So I was worried about, you know, with retain per Center, they talk about you hemorrhaging and stepsis, and he assured me that that would not happen. And what the future holds in terms of, you know, other pregnancies, we don't know. I don't know. I have a check up with him in a couple of months, and I think right now, just focusing like on the present and being with Cammy and Tyson is the most important thing and what we're trying to do.
Speaker 2: So what do you think you've kind of learned from this process?
Speaker 1: I mean so many things, but the main thing is to trust your gut, trust your instincts, and don't be afraid to advocate for yourself. If you really have a strong feeling, trust that and follow that and book the appointment. I mean we hear it with like endometriosis and women having to see so many different doctors until they get that diagnosis, and I think it's, Yeah, it's so important to trust your instincts and follow up on things. I have no idea the situation that I would be and had I not demanded that ultrasound, I don't even want to think about it. But I think we're faced with so many different decisions when we have a child, and for me, like feeding was the biggest one, but obviously you have to come to terms with your own answers and in your own time, but also just there are so many decisions. Make the decision because there's going to be another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for sharing your story so soon after, Like there's no like tight ending to this. You know you're still going through it. So really appreciate you sharing your story while still sort of navigating it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's why I really wanted to, because it's something that I don't want to scare people, but I think people should know about it and be aware of it for.
Speaker 2: Sure, because placenta accreta is rare. I wanted to get some input from our obstrition and gynecologist doctor Bromin Devine on the condition.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a condition known as placenta accreta spectrum or PAS, it's referred to, and it's a rare complication in pregnancy, but it is becoming more common. So what happens is when the placenta forms very early at the time of implantation, the trofectoom or very early placental tissue burrows into a specialized lining in the uterus known as the decidua. But if that happens in an abnormal way, it can borrow in deeper than the decidua into the muscle of the uterus and form a very abnormal attachment and sometimes that can burrow all the way through the muscle of the uterus or sometimes right through the uterus into some organs next to the utresus, like sometimes into the bladder and things like that. So it's a spectrum of abnormalities, very very serious and can be associated at the time of the baby's birth and catastrophic bleeding. So it's something that we do try and pick up while the person is pregnant, and the best way to pick it up is usually with a very good quality ultrasound, and then if we do detect it being present, we often make a plan for that person to have a caesarean birth with a hysterectomy at the time of the birth. Now, obviously that doesn't happen in every circumstance as it happened in this one, because it wasn't diagnosed till after the baby was born, and in fact after most of the placenta came away. So sometimes what can happen is an isolated part of the placenta can be stuck to the utress and not come away, as happened in this case. What that led to was an abnormal establishment of breastfeeding, because what causes milk production to start is the placenta coming away, so not being pregnant anymore, the placenta coming away, loss of all those placental hormones starts the big cascade that allows breastfeeding to establish. But if there is placenta left behind, then sometimes that can be interfered with. One of the reasons we're seeing placenta accrete a spectrum a little bit more commonly is that we're doing more caesarean sections, and caesarean sections lead to scarring in the uterus, and it's scarring in the uterus that can cause the placenta to sort of burrow through the scar in an abnormal way, but other things as well, Sometimes having had a curete in the past with a little bit of scarring associated with the curete, other types of utrine surgery can lead to this condition where the placenta doesn't implant properly, it implants too deeply and right through or through partially through the utube.
Speaker 2: And what about its effects on future fertility.
Speaker 3: If you've had an normally adherent placenta in the past, you are at risk for it happening again, And certainly if you've had uterine surgeries in the past, you're at risk of placenta a crete a spectrum occurring. So what would happen in a subsequent pregnancy is and it would be watched very closely and had some high quality ultrasounds to determine, because a really good quality ultrasound can see that interface between the placenta and the uterus and see if it's abnormally adherent, and then she'd be managed through the pregnancy according to the risk. So if it was deemed that it would be more appropriate for her to look at having a caesarean section berth and then have her uterus removed. That's a big ask though, because it means you have your uterus removed. Unless you look at surrogacy, you're not going to have any more children. So it's definitely something that is discussed in a very in depth way with the patient and the treatment team, and it's often a multidisciplinary team. We have the obstetricians but also specialist gynecologists who do very complicated surgery, so it's a very carefully managed pregnancy. The next time Round.
Speaker 2: Diary of a Birth was hosted by me Kasenye Lukich, with expert input from Dr Bronwin Devine. If you like our show, don't forget to subscribe and rate. It goes a long way to allowing us to continue sharing your stories. This episode was produced by Ella Maitland and myself Kasanye Lukitch, with audio production by Tina Mattalov,