Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast. Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: I am pregnanty.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Hello Bump. We're making pregnancy less overwhelming and more manageable, hopefully. I'm gracery very I'm pregnant for the first time and my diet is now just bread and veggimind, oh that's my good.
Speaker 2: I'm Jana Pittman. I'm an ex Olympian, I'm a mother of six, and I'm training to be an Obstitrican.
Speaker 1: Each episode, Yanna and I will be holding your hand week by week through the mysterious, perplexing and sometimes still nauseating miry coole that is pregnancy Week ten. Week ten. How big is our baby? Well?
Speaker 2: I love this week because I think it's supposed to be the same size as a date, or some peanut butter on a spoon, or a lipstick.
Speaker 1: A strawbery.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, that straw is much nicer than the ones I came up with. About three centimeters, so pretty big.
Speaker 1: If you look at it's like.
Speaker 2: The length of the from your finger with a little you know where your knuckle is in the middle, it's quite.
Speaker 1: Long's and again it's a big jump, seem yeah, we're starting all those smaller ones from the speck of dust. Do it to a poppy seed doesn't really feel that much, but once you can attach it to an object, it does feel more real. Poor sure, and what is happening inside that little Are they still in a sack? Well?
Speaker 2: Actually this is exciting because now at ten weeks they're officially a fetus. So they go from an embryo, you know, that's what we call it medically, to being a fetus. So it's really it marks the end of that embryonic period. So lots of things still happen growth wise, but it's a lot more human like.
Speaker 1: Now what happens to the sack? Does it all become part of the fetus?
Speaker 2: Well, the gestational sack around is where all your amniotic fluid and things are okay, so it's a large portion of it. The yolk second, things gets absorbed, but the actual sack around it is the whole part of the pregnancy where the placentre is on the outside of it, attached to the maternal wall, to the mother, whether the vessels coming through, then you got your ambilical cord then comes into the baby.
Speaker 1: This moving and forming and changing of the fetus feels like a human version of a kaleidoscope.
Speaker 2: You basically in and out and in and out.
Speaker 1: What's happening to me and what's happening to us, to the vessel creatingman, to the woman creating this baby.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully your nausea and vomiting is reducing.
Speaker 1: That is not in my case natually.
Speaker 2: I think this may or may not be an ongoing weekly thing. Yes, you're utriest is now about the size of an orange, so we've gone from a tennis ball to an orange, and you might be feeling a little more laxicity in your pelvis and from a muscle perspective, but interestingly, your baby's burons are starting to harden from the cartilage, so you're getting softer and they're becoming stronger.
Speaker 1: Is this way? I did a pilates class and they said, just be careful of something a movement with your hips because you're too flexible at the moment. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: It's that progesterone again, so obviously partly to do with estugen as well, but largely progesterone is the main, it's a relaxing So basically it drops all the laxicity in your vessels and your muscles and your pelvis, in your bones, so everything sort of gets ready to accommodate the pregnancy but also to birth because you know they do come out down below from the vagina and then you need to have that ability to pass a full term fetus.
Speaker 1: Is this normal?
Speaker 2: Is it normal? So?
Speaker 1: My is this normal? Question I have for you today, Yana, is my skin has gotten worse, and everyone talks about this pregnancy, So I want to know if I'm not hot yet, when am I going to get hot?
Speaker 2: And you mean hot warm, or you mean I'm already?
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I've got a question about that in another few episodes about the myth of the heightened libido that I would like to say is a myth. I'll get to that. But my main question is why am I not hot yet? Why don't I look like I'm glowing? And look?
Speaker 2: That is if it hard, isn't it? Because some women's had to have beautiful glowing hair and face and things like that, and your weight and your weight, and it regularly it doesn't happen. In facted often you get active and you look.
Speaker 1: Like a teenager.
Speaker 2: Yes, all moans again, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Just diagnosed with pregnancy, with pregnancy again.
Speaker 2: And look, you know, I think it depends also what you're carrying. I know, I know this is mostly an old wive's tale, but like a lot of women report when they're carrying boys, they have more hair around their nipples and breakouts of pimples. But it's going to be how your body regulates hormones. And again, everybody's different.
Speaker 1: Is there any science to the old wives tale of a sex determining the foods you like, whether you're salty or sweet, or carrying high or low? Or is that literally just a normal life tale.
Speaker 2: So I actually ask this of one of my obstetric consultants because I'm like, there's got to be something, And her answer is there's always some truth behind a myth, otherwise it wouldn't exist in the first place. But whether it has any factual academic evidence largely not, or we'd be recommending it for women all the time, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So, okay, so I'm not gonna get hot or just move on, which it might get hot, just give it a few more weeks. Temperature hot that put that affirmation at it as well. What are some important things we need to do this week.
Speaker 2: This is the start of the week where you can hopefully start being a bit better from knowledge in vomiting and concentrate a little bit more on getting some good nutrition in so Unfortunately, if you're like yourself, it is just still survival mode. Whatever you yet in is better than nothing, but that it might have also contributed to the pimples a little bit grace as being.
Speaker 1: Honest, if you're not getting anythigit it is, isn't chocky, I'm doing it.
Speaker 2: But hopefully at this point we can start maybe either engaging with a dietitian or someone who's keen to sort of support you with your dietary requirements, because now you can start trying to make up for some of the weeks where you weren't really able to eat much.
Speaker 1: At some points they do say to up your calories. Is this one of the weeks to start upping your calories or we're going to wait till the second triininster it's a bit of both.
Speaker 2: Your baby's pretty small at the moment from us sustaining their viability not as much it is more second and third temester, and we sort of say an increase of two to four hundred calories a day. It's a bit dependent on whether you've put two babies in there, and also really important as where your starting weight is. So if you're underweight at the beginning of pregnancy, it is time to increase your calories. If you're you know, normal weight in the middle, then we're aiming sort of between eleven and sort of eighteen kilos of weight gaining pregnancy, So it's just a steady increase of nutritional value rather than I'm eating for two, which and you also want to account for those days when you do feel emotional and you need to eat for two just to get through the day. So the rest of the time you sort of just play it a bit safer.
Speaker 1: Okay, my for this week. I'm embarrassed to admit to you because you have Olympic medals in your home, But I found swimming helpful in nausea because there's something about the coldness and the buoyancy of it or something or a different full body feeling that I have been swimming, or maybe more like dog paddling.
Speaker 2: But I'm in a pool, no, I'm not in a pool. It's whatever makes you comfortable. Again, remember exercise now is about mood as well as it is sort of helping maintain your insulin and your glucose levels at a good, safe level. But for me this week, your talk is just to get started and write yourself a little program and goal of how much you can fit it around work and family life as well.
Speaker 1: When you do speak about glucose and I'm sure we're going to speak about gestational diabetes a little bit later, but other things that you can do now to prevent gestational diabetes or are you going to get it either way.
Speaker 2: It's a great question because there is a huge genetic component when it comes to to diabetes, particularly in pregnancy. Now, the scenario is, if you've got your low weight and you're in the chances don't look like someone who's potentially put on a lot of weight beforehand, then of course there's going to be less risk. So but I've seen plenty of very slim, very well women becoming very sick with diabetes in pregnancy. There's also other volatuous women who don't get diabetes at all, So that does show that genetic component is very real. So walking at night is the key. If you can get out for a little walk at night. We have some ladies who are diagnosed with diabetes in pregnancy who don't need anything other than diet and lifestyle changes, and that's what we say. If you go for a walk at night, it controls your fasting sugars, which is are the ones that are overnight. So I think, when you're around this time in gestation, why.
Speaker 1: Not, so sorry, what makes it better to exercise at night?
Speaker 2: It's around fasting sugars, So the one that is more genetic, so the daytime sugar, So your post prandial or your pre meal sugars can be a little bit more diet lifestyle, but they can often be not changeable, whereas the evening ones you might get put on a medication met forman for example, but sometimes you can avoid that by trying to do evening walks before you go to bed.
Speaker 1: And this is good for people whether I've got gestational diabetes or not.
Speaker 2: Correct So if you've got a high risk of it, so you had diabetes in your first pregnancy, or you've got a lot of family like mother or sister or someone who had diabetes in pregnancy, it does raise your chance of having it, and we'll talk in a couple of weeks about whether you would have an early gestation or diabetes test or not. But to me, it's also just healthy. You know, had a big day, you're on your feet, you're feeling tired, go for a nice little walk, get some adrenaline and nice Sleephian doorphins in, and then head to bed.
Speaker 1: I love that night exercise. We hope you enjoyed this episode of Hello Bump. We have so many episodes of this series filled with tips and stories from women and experts who've been through it all before.
Speaker 2: You can go back and listen to everything else Hello Bump related in this podcast.
Speaker 1: Feed, and while you're there, we'd love if you could give us a flying star rating and maybe leave us a review or even share this episode with a friend.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced by Courtney Ammenhauser with audio production by Tom Lyon.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you next time. This episode of Hello Bump was made in partnership with Huggies. Bye Bye