Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom and mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to mum me are out loud.
Speaker 3: I am Jesse Stevens, I'm Holly Waynwright, I'm Amelia Lastov and I'm a Burnham.
Speaker 2: And this is part two of our very very special treat for you. It is our best recommendations of twenty twenty five. We had so many favorites. Some are you, some you may have heard. Bring up. We've also got Amelia who often isn't here on a Friday and so has a bank of banger recommendations from what to do, what to buy, what to read, what to watch. First up, I want to talk about the best TV show of the year. Holly, you go first, because I co sign your best TV show ever the year.
Speaker 4: My favorite TV show of the year.
Speaker 3: I did mention this on the show, but you know, I learned a lesson because I didn't recommend it because I was like, oh, it's finished, because it's one of those shows that goes with and then I was like, oh, but everybody just watches it on catch up. But I thought like, oh, they'll know what the answer is because anyway, I digressed. The most fun I've had on TV this year is the UK celebrity Traders.
Speaker 1: Maybe I have got a dark side. I'm here to win.
Speaker 4: I don't know what bas lie within me. I'm going to fight till a death.
Speaker 1: Players. Welcome to the Highlands.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: Now I know out in the real world you're very important and successful, but here there is no special treatment. Traders remain undetected and murder.
Speaker 4: The faithful is an faithful.
Speaker 5: You must hunt down the traders.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna I want to be Oh God.
Speaker 2: Have you two watched it?
Speaker 4: I've watched on my TikTok. I hate interesting, Amelia.
Speaker 1: I need you to sell it to me. It sounds boring.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought it's sound of boring too. I am so late to this party, but it has taken over my life. Holly, please heel.
Speaker 4: It is so great.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if you're familiar with Traders. It's a reality TV genre, but it's basically a show. The British one is set in the Scottish Castle. They take a lot of people up to be in the castle nineteen people in this instance, and they pick some of them.
Speaker 4: To be traders.
Speaker 3: Right, so you think of a game of Mafia or like, okay, yeah, so their rest of them are faithfuls. You have tasks you have to complete on different days and all those things, but at the end of every day you have to guess who the traders are, and everybody has to vote someone off, and then the traders, if they don't get voted off, get rid of somebody too. They murder them, so every day you get rid of two. Now this version is the celebrity version, obviously the UK celebrity version. A lot of people that you might not know, but also people you definitely will know, like Stephen Fry, like Celia Emery, really amazing A listers, and the host is fabulous Claudia Wink when she's so good. It's like high camp amazing values. But it became a sensation in Britain this particular season that just took over everything, and now it's being used as a blueprint of like, oh my god, it's brought linear television back to life. Because it was on only once a week. It always stops on these amazing cliffhangers, and they were like, how are we going to get gen Z to wait that long to watch the next one?
Speaker 4: But they did, So is it good?
Speaker 1: Because it's suspenseful of funny, or all of the able.
Speaker 4: All of the above. It's suspenseful.
Speaker 3: It's funny family viewing too, it's one hundred percent family viewing. You can watch it with anybody in your family. But it's just such fun. And so when I say I thought it was finished, it's because obviously in Britain this was an obsession. And so when it was over, who won and everything's all over the internet and I.
Speaker 2: Still haven't said, and you still don't know.
Speaker 3: And so if you've managed to avoid that, it's still really fun to watch, and you can watch it on catch up.
Speaker 4: It's on ten. Anyway, I just had a ball, and what.
Speaker 2: I loved about it was that so it's got heaps of comedians and actors and whatever. Often on reality shows they're all trying to outcompete each other with how funny they are. This is like they are so serious and so competitive and so in it, like they are living in this castle. My theory is that games are coming back in a big way. I went to a murder Mystery night this year, Mafia. We play lots of games. I've been doing escape rooms, adults playing games, traction right, it's crazy it's distraction.
Speaker 3: And although I agree with you that it's not an outfunning each other, there are some people on it who understand the premise a bit better. As Marina Heidelwer says, she's like, there's some of them who understand that they are an entertainment booking and this is an entertainment show, so be entertaining, please, and some who.
Speaker 4: Don't seem to get that at all, and they're just they're like.
Speaker 3: I'm a show of this mystery and it's just it's very fun.
Speaker 4: So there's that I'm just gonna throw in really quickly.
Speaker 3: Also, I thought four Seasons on Netflix was really fun, which is the one about the group of adult friends who go away together.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad to do you like that.
Speaker 3: But you know, I think one of my criteria this year, unlike Jesse who loves to watch really depressing documentaries, is I just want entertainment. One of the main criteria for Brent and now when we're looking for a show to watch together is not too long, not too stressful. And although some things, of course get through that, like we're loving Stranger Things and all that stuff, that's one of those shows. It's not dumb but it's distracting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna throw in just to springboard off the Celebrity Traders Taskmaster and it's hit and miss. Sometimes some series aren't great, but I'd really like the UK version of task Master and the Australian version I have actually loved.
Speaker 3: Pick up all twenty six flowers and deliver them to Tom's VARs.
Speaker 7: You may only advance to collect the next flower when you correctly guess that flowers password.
Speaker 3: You must deliver all twenty six flowers to Tom's vas or you will be disqualified. Fewest total attempts to guess a password wins.
Speaker 4: Fewest total okay.
Speaker 1: Password, accept that password.
Speaker 4: Open, sesame.
Speaker 2: Come on in bomb Calm Gleason is a long boy fish butterfly and the other one is last one laughing. The UK version where they throw comedians in a room together and the job is not to laugh.
Speaker 4: And I've seen that on TikTok as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, myeer my teenagers loved that. We ended up watching some of the American ones. In the New Zealand ones.
Speaker 2: It's really really good. So the snippets are brilliant. The social strategy has been incredible, but I promise it is worth watching the season.
Speaker 4: It's fantastic.
Speaker 2: M What is your television show recommendation for this year?
Speaker 7: Okay, my favorite TV show this year is probably the show that just made me laugh the most, and it's The Studio on Apple TV.
Speaker 6: Yes, being the head of Continental is the only job I've ever wanted honored obviously to be one of the people. I guess it's a choose you know, which movies get made and which ones don't. That's that's huge. And I got into all this because you know, I love movies, but now I have this fear it. My job is to ruin them. The job as a meat grinder.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: So it's created and stars seth Rogen it's about he plays like this big Hollywood studio owner and his whole job is to try to get people to still be excited about movies. And it's done in one of those like one pan shots, so every episode is just one shot and it's so so funny. He gets a bunch of celebrities on different episodes and they play themselves and it's just really funny and clever TV. I've shown this show to everyone, and each episode is kind of a standalone itself. The one episode I always make everyone watch in front of me is the one shot episode with Greta Lee. She is herself is filming a one shot scene and she's playing Greta Lee, and Seth Throgan's character just comes in and messes it up for them over and over and over again, and the whole TV show is also in one shot. It's just done so well on the floor laughing.
Speaker 2: It is so so accurate to the intry and kind of the commercial concerns.
Speaker 4: And the upfronts. It's just so it's so funny.
Speaker 3: I'm very la I always just think how expensive that show must be to make because it's got all the most famous people in Hollywood in it. They're in mansions, it's the real estate. Yeah, it's really Yeah, it's really well done. But I also want to quickly break the rules a little bit and recommend another movie that I did get to recommend last episode.
Speaker 7: It's so underrated. Not enough people are talking about it. It's called One of Them Days. I saw it in the cinema. It's now out on prime video. It was created by Isa Ray and it stars what she was up to. Oh my god, this movie is so funny because.
Speaker 1: Her show Insecure was one of my.
Speaker 7: Favorite It was one of my favorite shows, and like the humor from that is in this movie. So it stars siss and Kiki Palmer. They play roommates and it's just one of those like physical comedies. They have to pay rent by the end of the day and they have no money at all, and they just go on this mad adventure around just like getting involved in the worst.
Speaker 4: Kind of people.
Speaker 7: It is really really funny, and I really hate that not everyone saw it, but it's so good and their pressed to her for it was so funny as well. Oh, I'm going to watch It's amazing.
Speaker 2: How about you, Amelia?
Speaker 1: So my recommendation is The Beast in Me? Has anyone watched this on Netflix? Claire Danes and Matthew Reese from The Americans, and I just love both those actors.
Speaker 6: Why are you here?
Speaker 4: Did you kill her? What do you think?
Speaker 6: Niall?
Speaker 4: Jarvis moved down the street from me.
Speaker 7: Maybe my next book should be about him.
Speaker 4: Oh the world thinks I know what happened, but I didn't kill my wife. People just want gossip and carnage.
Speaker 1: You want to be relegitimized.
Speaker 4: I can offer a new.
Speaker 1: Narrative I'm going to roll the dice on you.
Speaker 4: Well right then, don't let me down.
Speaker 1: It's about a riser who plays a cash and mouse game with a mysterious and possibly murderous billionaire. Need I say more? I mean it's literally perfect. It's a psychological thriller. I love psychological thrillers. It's not too scary. You could watch it by yourself. I have, and I'm a scaredy cat. But it's just gripping and great. And my quick second recommendation is South Park, which is on ten play, which is doing the best political satire in the whole world right now about Trump and all of his cronies.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that. I love that. Up after the break, we will be doing our favorite beauty products and we will also be throwing in some extra book recommendations.
Speaker 4: Clearly we could all talk about beauty things for age books and beauty like things we can.
Speaker 3: Talk about for a long time because we're going again with beauty after last week's rykos.
Speaker 4: Who wants to go first?
Speaker 1: I'm going to go first because this one's big. So I've mentioned that this year I revamped my makeup and this actually began because I noticed young people like m vernon looking beautiful with dark lipliner and then a slightly less dark lipstick.
Speaker 2: This tip changed how I did my makeup, please, and.
Speaker 1: I just thought, why should they have all the fun? Yeah, why can't I do that?
Speaker 7: You can?
Speaker 2: So I did do that, and.
Speaker 1: I have to tell you that you put on your dark clipliner, you put on your barrel legg jeans, and you start to feel like you've got a new lease on life if you happen to be forty two. So the one that I love is Bobby Brown, because I mean really, Bobby Brown flipliner in rum Raisin.
Speaker 7: Can I say, I think that is the best shade in history?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I feel so vindicated.
Speaker 4: Genuinely, like it's the shade. I think.
Speaker 7: It's a shade that my mum used and then I used for the first time when I started wearing makeup, and I still.
Speaker 1: Use it to Okay, I'm so glad that you said that, because the way I found this is that I walked into a Sephora in the US. In Australia, Bobby Brown is at Mecca, and I said, I want to look young and I need darklipliner, and this very beautiful young person there said this is the one. So now two beautiful young people have verified that this is the one.
Speaker 4: I have questions because this sounds quite high level to me.
Speaker 1: No, it's so easy.
Speaker 3: How am I not going to look like I've put a felt on the outside.
Speaker 4: Of my lips.
Speaker 2: I'm going to speak for the fair among us, not for the we're blonde. We have to be careful, honey. Okay, we can't be going. I think if you've got darker hair, you can get away with more of a statement. We can go slightly dark.
Speaker 1: Honey, it's hard to be blonde. I get that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you can do a pinky. I do lipliner every like and I feel like it keeps my lipstick in, but I do more of a pinky. We can't go to you, but I want.
Speaker 1: I want to challenge you, because pinky is our comfort zone. With respect, Jesse, pink is our comfort zone.
Speaker 2: We don't want to look like Westfhani.
Speaker 7: You guys should be doing like a rose pink.
Speaker 1: You've bridged the divide. It's like a dark And what I think is great is you can just work on a lip arm on top of it.
Speaker 7: Yes, and it blends in really well.
Speaker 3: So You're not coloring in your whole lip with the lipliner. You are lining your lips with the lip liner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you can do some shading.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you don't color it? No, no, no, because the whole point is your middle to be bright.
Speaker 3: You did this in the nineties, Yeah, I did, but it didn't end well are you wearing?
Speaker 1: No? But it's great, Jesse. What have you got given that? You said that mine isn't going to work for you? What's going to work for you?
Speaker 2: So I went back and forth and then I went no, no, no. The best beauty recommendation and I'm stretching the thing a bit is my rashie and I'm bringing a rash, em bringing a rash because and we all know with chests, like I go to the beach now, with chests, they just they age faster than your face.
Speaker 4: You have a beautiful chest.
Speaker 2: I no, no, I already feel like I've gone pinky when I get to the beach. I try and do my back often like Luna and I will go. I can't do my back properly, right, very very stressful, very not good for the sun. Beauty is one thing. The other is skin cancer. Right, I got this rashy from a brand called Avali, which is a V A L y. It is not the rashy you have in your head. It doesn't have bluey on it. It is a tight sculpted crops. Don't look like I love it. It's pretty okay.
Speaker 7: No, I like the crop element.
Speaker 4: I've got a couple of long sleeves swimsuits.
Speaker 2: It's really cool and are we talking?
Speaker 1: It goes thunder boob crop.
Speaker 2: No like belly button, crop, high waist. I think I look like I'm in Blue Crush, the movie with.
Speaker 7: I'm feeling it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought that might get you now. It's long sleeves, really really good neckline, and it's made from this like ec friendly material sixty bucks life changing. I have it in like a green that I love. They also have really cute kids wetsuits that are made from sustainable stuff. But that I think has saved my chest from.
Speaker 3: Will allow it because also we don't have a fashion category, but we could have, couldn't we?
Speaker 4: So fashion slash beauty we could Okay, my.
Speaker 3: Last beauty recos because again we could go on all day, I recommended on the show. Speaking of Bobby Brown, as we were rom and Raisin the Jones Road Miracle Balm. I bought that and I didn't really know what to do with it, but I just knew I liked it. Now I know what to do with it. It's like you're getting in quite a big pot. Jones Road is Bobby Brown's new brand because she sold Bobby Brown and it's for.
Speaker 1: Like, and then she had years of non compete. Yeah, so she just had to open a hotel in New Jersey. And then finally ten years goes by and she's like, I'm studying.
Speaker 4: That, I'm ready, and here's Jones Road. Let's go. I never know what to do with a bar. Well, here's the thing is.
Speaker 3: So they come in different shades, and I've got one that's called Golden Glow and it's creamy, it's balmy, right, okay, it's shine and moisture, and it's like good for in those little creasy bits where you you know, you want to distract a bit from the creasy bits. So I've got like a clear one, and then I've also got like a bronzy one that is great when you're not really wearing makeup.
Speaker 4: So you've just got you, you know, your skin products and then you.
Speaker 3: Just do a big swoop here, maybe a little bit here, and it's just glowing and fabulous, and now I'm addicted. So I went from like I'm not sure what to do with this to being addicted. But I'm throwing in one extra one too, which is most hard working product in my bag. Everybody knows this product. It's the rosh pose Sis, a plastic balm.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, best.
Speaker 3: But everybody uses this usually when they fucked their skin barrier. Yeah right, like they like, I've got to recover. But what I've discovered about this, because that is how I also was introduced to this. I was introduced to it when I got a breakout of Rose Show once, because I don't get that all the time, but I do sometimes. Best thing for that, but also best save ever for you've got to go to an event or do a thing and it's in between work and you stick it on as a mask.
Speaker 4: Just do a big thick.
Speaker 3: Layer of it and then wipe it off with a tissue and then put your makeupon, and you have never.
Speaker 4: Glowed that much.
Speaker 3: I also use it for a heavy moisturizer to sleep in over like a red andol or some kind of exfoliant.
Speaker 4: So basically I use it like a really.
Speaker 3: Thick I mean, obviously it's thick and gloopy, that's the thing of it. So it's not like you're just whacking it on and walking out. But as a mask it's heaven. As an overnight sleep cream, it's great and of course it solves your problems. So it is now my favorite, most hard and it comes everywhere with.
Speaker 1: That's such a good tip.
Speaker 4: I love that so good links to all these things in the show. I'm sorry, mine, we've all.
Speaker 3: Been talking so much shows out our beauty records.
Speaker 7: Okay, mine is expensive, but I promise you it's worth it. It is the shark Flextile air styling.
Speaker 1: Oh I've heard this is like the new Dyson.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's the new Dicon and it's half the price it is. So it's one of those hair styling tools. I'm not a big hair person, Like I never really know what to do with my hair. I just blow dry it and then go about my day. And I just wanted everything in one which is basically what this is. So it comes in like this big wand and then you get all the attachments that you can attach to the top yeah, and it's like a hair dryer. You can use the brush as a straightener. You can use a curler to curl, and I don't use any other hair tool.
Speaker 4: I just use this one thing.
Speaker 2: Is it heat?
Speaker 7: It's heat it it's like hair heat. It's like similar to a dcon. So it blows hot air and then you get like a gush of cool and then your hair just stays like that forever.
Speaker 4: It is so good.
Speaker 1: And how heavy is it? Oh?
Speaker 4: It depends. How can you travel with it?
Speaker 7: You can so because it comes with all the attachments, So it has like the tiny base of it, which is like the big thing that's connected to the wall, and then you can just bring whatever attachment you want, so always bring like the hair dry attachment and like the brush attachment.
Speaker 4: So how much is it?
Speaker 7: It's two hundred and fifty dollars right now it's on sale because I wanted the dsin but it's just was way too expensive and this is literally half the price.
Speaker 4: Oh so good.
Speaker 3: Okay, we are going to be back with another blast of books after this break.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back with some of our favorite books that we've read this year. And I have one that is extremely scandalous. You will not be able to put it down. It is called Ask Not the Kennedys and the Women They Destroyed by Maureen Callahan. More In Callahan is I think a sort of British tabloid journalist of some note who has in the past written at least for the Daily Mail. But this book is very scrupulously researched, and it's all about the girlfriends and wives that the Kennedy men destroyed. They destroyed their lives. It's really shocking. You can't really believe that this famous political dynasty, this storied group of men, did so many horrible things to the women in their lives. But it reminded me that history is a lot stranger and more interesting than sometimes I think it is because I don't normally read history books. There was something about this that was so gripping, so many just jaw dropping stories. It's the sort of book that you find yourself wanting to share the stories that you've read in it with your friends afterwards.
Speaker 4: I bet it's a good audio book.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Holly, what about you?
Speaker 3: Okay again, stiff competition for new books this year. I could have picked Claire. The worst thing I've ever done. I could have picked Mad Mabel by Sally. I could have picked Trent Dalton's Gravity Let Me Go, but let's face it, he gets enough press. So I have instead picked Lonely Mouth by Jacqueline Mayley because that isn't a book that you're seeing absolutely everywhere. But Jacqueline Mayley is an amazing journo. She works for The Herald and a very thoughtful writer. At her novel she released this year, it's called Lonely Mouth and it's about sisters. It's about eating disorders, it's about unrequited love, it's about family mess.
Speaker 4: But it is such a beautiful book.
Speaker 3: It is so beautifully written, and it follows this young woman who lives a very contained life. It's very set in Sydney. It's a very Sydney book. She works in a restaurant where she is brilliant and efficient front of house. So there's a lot about that food world too, and she has a mad crush on her boss, who's the chef. She also has a wayward sister and you find out, you know, why her sister is wayward and what happens when she comes back into her life. But really it's this beautiful exploration of this young woman who's trying to control every aspect of her life so tightly from what she eats. That's the eating disorder part of it. I guess to how she relates to everyone around her, and then what happens when all that starts to disintegrate. You know, when I was thinking about which book do I think about the most, and I said, in the last one, that's why I picked Family Happiness. I also think about this book all the time, and when I walk down certain streets in Sydney, now it's like I've seen this book, Like I've seen that girl walking there. I know that kind of restaurant in Darlinghurst where she works, and like, so it's just a beautiful book.
Speaker 4: I really liked it. Lonely mouthed by Jacqueline May, how about you?
Speaker 7: Am Okay, you guys aren't going to be surprised at mine. I am recommending the act. Yes, okay, I need somebody should I need to talk about the law of how I found Akatar.
Speaker 4: So my sister introduced me to tell everybody what akatar. I'm sorry. It is a Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Mass.
Speaker 7: It is a romanticy series. There's five books in the series, and I think the next one comes out next year.
Speaker 4: The best selling books in the world.
Speaker 2: So I know a lot of people who have bought them, going okay, everyone's reading them and they're like, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: So an a Gatar the name of the series, and then Court of.
Speaker 4: Is the acronym of a court of thorns.
Speaker 7: And roses, and then we call it the Aquitar series. And then the second books like a Court of Missed and Fury, and then it goes on. So that's five books. And how I got into it was my sister read them all. She's like, you have to read the Akaitar series.
Speaker 4: You'll love it. And I was like okay.
Speaker 7: So she gave me the first book and I read it in a day and it was a Thursday, and I immediately started the second book, and then I came into the office on Friday, going okay, guys, I just started Akata. Everyone in the office has already read them. They're like, can't wait to hear what you think about the rest of the second book. The weekend passes, I get to work on Monday, eyes are so read and they were like, how'd you go with the second book, and I was like, I read all five.
Speaker 4: I read all five books.
Speaker 1: So are these historical?
Speaker 2: It is like there are no Kennedy's in these books.
Speaker 7: No fantasy. It's fantasy. It's like fairies, fairies.
Speaker 1: And it's a very like sexually.
Speaker 4: It's not like super super sexual.
Speaker 7: Like I feel like people who love smart books will be like, that's not smart. But then when I first read them, I was like, whoa, this is smart. And now I read more smart and I'm like that wasn't smart. So it is like very very it's the gateway.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 7: So it is very very sexy. There's a lot of sex scenes. But then once you get into the Romancy universe, you'd be like, oh, that was child's play. But it is so addictive, Like I haven't felt reading those books since I read Harry Potter when I was a kid, Like you just.
Speaker 4: Want to read my I'm addicted.
Speaker 7: Sarah Jay Marsh she started writing her series when she was like sixteen years old.
Speaker 3: Wow, and she's now richer than God tell everybody. If so, if I'm entry level and I'm buying this for someone all for myself, which, what's the first one I've got to.
Speaker 4: Read again A Court of Thorns and Rows.
Speaker 3: So although that's the name of the series, it's also the name of the first book.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: My mum bought me the second Harry Potter book to start with, and I was second.
Speaker 4: Such annoying she didn't get it.
Speaker 2: One of my books of the year that I probably recommend if someone says, what was the best book you read this year? The Wedding People?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I love that book.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm I think it was released in twenty twenty four. But The Wedding People a novel by Alison S.
Speaker 4: Pack.
Speaker 2: It's sold more than one million copies. It's massive and it sounds really depressing when you describe the premise and it kind of is it done.
Speaker 1: She stopped me from reading it for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like this woman who her relationship has broken down. You kind of find out why. But it's really funny and like there is something about the insights and being inside that woman's head that is so entertaining, and then the dynamics of a wedding as well, is just so genius to explore.
Speaker 1: The writing is so absurd.
Speaker 2: It's so observant, it's just outstanding writing. The wedding people. I have not had anyone go and read this and say a bad word about it.
Speaker 1: It is. It is so good.
Speaker 2: All right, Holly, what is your rogue recommendation?
Speaker 3: My music taste has changed this year completely. I've had a sudden realization this year that I only really want to listen to women now, and.
Speaker 4: That's really different for me.
Speaker 3: All of the artists I've loved all my life, most of them have been tortured men like I could name them all, but I told you all about how Wencey Ryan Adams, who was one of my favorite all time artists.
Speaker 1: Well, also you and I have to recommend.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the Oasis gig was amazing, so they get an exclusion from this. But I realized that a lot of the angsty men that I've always loved and always love listening to, I'm just done with them. I'm just done with them. It's not because I'm like, oh, they're all old and wingy or canceled or whatever.
Speaker 4: It's just I've just shifted.
Speaker 3: There are just so many amazing female artists making so much amazing music. So the two things I'm recommending is this soundtrack to Pruning Your Tomatoes because you're also recommending pruning your tomatoes.
Speaker 4: Two things, your tomatoes. My hack is.
Speaker 3: I've got more tomatoes and I know what to do with in the garden this year because I've been pruning them really hard. If anyone's growing tomatoes, you just got to cut all of the baby leek, just cut cut. And while you're doing that, you listen to Lily Allen's West End Girl, which is one of my albums of the year, no question. I'm obsessed with that. That's a good album. I live in that hour.
Speaker 1: It's your favorite song on it to start with.
Speaker 3: My favorite song on it is four chan Stan, which is such a good song about how sad her mysterious partner aka David Harber has become. But really you have to listen to it from beginning to end because it's the story of the story, which is so original about it.
Speaker 2: I haven't great told you this, Holly, because you kept banging on about it. And then I found myself with a quiet Sunday afternoon knowing I'm just going to put on the first song, see what the fuss is about. It's a great album, so good, and it's like you have to listen to every single song do.
Speaker 4: It's a story.
Speaker 3: She's made something amazing I think, and all the music is great. Non Monoga Mummy is also a banger, like some of them are such bangers like dance bangers, but they're about these terrible things. And it goes hand in hand with one of my recommendations from earlier this year, which is Semat who's an amazing Irish female songwriter and her album euro Country is so good. So put those amazing women in your ears and prune the shit out of your tomatoes.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got something that goes with that. If you don't have tomatoes to prune, you can put on those albums while you do my recommendation. My recommendation is a Japanese I mask. Now, these are readily available on Amazon or on any of those K Beauty and J beauty stores that have popped up around the country. I learned about them when I lived in Japan, and they are self heating paper imasks, so you can get like five in a pack or ten in a pack. They're not expensive at all. They're centered with either citrus, camera meal or my personal favorite is lavender, and you put it on. It has little ear loops, put on your lily. Allen lie down and they magically heat up to about forty degrees celsius. And they stay at that heat for about fifteen minutes or so, so you'll get rid of a headache, you will fall asleep. They're great for planes. If you're on a plane, you know how your eyes feel so dry? And I'm pleasant on a plash and I got.
Speaker 4: Off a plane.
Speaker 7: I got to starve because all my oh, like I got clogs.
Speaker 4: I needed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: My autonomicis was like, you need to put a heat on your eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't recommend them highly enough. The brand is meg Rhythm by cow Kao And like I say, they're just a cheap delight that will improve your life.
Speaker 4: Oh I need that, how about you? M okay.
Speaker 7: My recommendation, my rogue recommendation is actually from a segment we talked about on the podcast, and there was the analog bag. Yes, oh my god, so now I have my analog z own. Analog bag is also known as a hobby bag, and you basically make a bag that either lives in your home or lives in your car, or that you can have on hand that has everything in it that isn't digital. So stuff you can do that doesn't require a phone, a computer or a screen. Like I do have my Kindle in it because I read on it, but it's like that's my only.
Speaker 4: Digital thing in it.
Speaker 7: I have my coloring in book, and some markets I have my crossword book. I have like every so many little things in there, and I just take it to a cafe or a park and then I leave my phone at home and then I can just do my analog activities.
Speaker 1: And do you actually leave your phone at home?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't go too far from my apartment in case I'm working my way across the radius analog bag.
Speaker 4: And I see a lot of people talking about these since you recommended. Yeah, it's just so fun little activities.
Speaker 1: What coloring book are you loving at the moment? Is there an Akata one? No?
Speaker 4: I actually don't use the adult coloring books. I use the kid ones.
Speaker 7: I'm bad it's staying in the line. If anything, it stresses me out more. So I use the kid ones where I get like big, like thick black li line. So I don't go outside the lines because then I freak out if I do. I've also been experimenting in shading cross hatching. Yeah, I'll send you guys a photo of my latest piece.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love a color.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: My record. I've got two quick ones. The first is earlier this year. I recommended giving blood, and I'm really glad that I gave blood, because when you're pregnant you can't donate blood. But given the recent terror attack in Bonday and we saw Australia break records for blood donations, I just want to remind people to keep the momentum of that kind of of us flocking and donating blood. Let's keep that momentum up, especially in a period where we might find ourselves with a few days that are free in our calendar. So if you haven't done it in a while, go and do it. And look just as a little silver lining if you need something to get over the line. Lots of hot men hit me up exactly, and lots of really good snacks. Yep, yeah, apparently it's good for you. You get sweet things and you can post about it on social Make sure you tell people everyone you see that you've just donated blood. If you can wear like a thing around your your arm and just say I don't, I think you might get a sticker you get a key ring. Yeah, wear it is a lanyard. Just I think it's a really important thing to mark to everyone. I am better than you because I gave blood. So that is my recommendation. And the other thing is I leveled up my smoothie this year. I was just telling Holly before Luna and I make how smoothie every day. I used to work at Boost Juice. This is on I am a I'm professional, so I always do my like mango banana oat milk ice like that's your your base. But I chuck in my spinach. I do like flax shea whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I go to a health food and find something throw that in. But what I've done is I've just added a little bit of honey just to sweeten it. And it's just in summer. It's like every day I'm having that. Yeah, so about six cubes and that's what makes the.
Speaker 4: Nice to speak.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was going to say, like, having worked at Boost Juice, does it ever feel like work when.
Speaker 2: You're making I feel as though I'm in a like I'm a scientist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel very confident about it. I can tell you do it with a sort of practice exactly, and I just know smoothie. I think that time you should charge.
Speaker 2: I do with six and I really like it nice and thick. That's the trick to getting it there. Sometimes I even put a little bit of yoga in there. Sometimes for breakfast, I'll put some oats in there.
Speaker 1: It's the only thing that's advanced.
Speaker 4: Myself. Neutrable bullet. So I'm going to be Smoothie in all summer.
Speaker 2: You get a neutra bullet and you put spinach in your smoothie and you start. I have a friend and this is all we talk about. Every time I see him. I go, I don't get ever since I got spinach and my neutrable. He's like, so do I. And all we do is talk about a neutrable. It's game changing, amazing.
Speaker 4: It's also good at making frozen margretas. Oh yes, that's genius.
Speaker 1: Can I just reflect on the fact that these recommendations have spanned Smart Too, Smoothie.
Speaker 4: Out louders.
Speaker 3: Finally, we have reached the end of our recommendations for the year. We've loved being with you and sharing them with you all year long. I got a few more days to go, remember everyone. January one of the year. What year?
Speaker 2: Good episode?
Speaker 1: Actually, it's a very good one.
Speaker 3: A few goodies in there and a surprise guest who probably isn't a surprise.
Speaker 4: Anyway, out louders, we love you the bits.
Speaker 3: We'll be back in your ears tomorrow and then of course for the big New Year's Day.
Speaker 2: And if you're looking for more to listen to, Every Mum and mea podcast is curating your summer listening right across our network. From pop culture to beauty to powerful interviews. There's something for everyone. There's a link in our show notes. We'll be back to regular programming on Monday, twelfth of January.
Speaker 7: Bye Bye Mummy acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.