Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. Hey friends, Lee here telling you about a You Beuty episode that we did recently. Look, they're all fabulous, but we had a really great question. It's a bit of a myth buster and it blows my mind about how common this myth is. So is it a myth? Is it true? Is it somewhere in the middle. I'm going to make you listen to find out. So give the episode a go and let me know what you think.
Speaker 1: Makeup is my therapy love. I'm obsessed and I don't even feel jailty your body.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to your Beauty I'm Lee Campbell, I'm Kelly McCarron. Now, before we get into our regular Q and A groove, we're giving something newer try. So we're going to start by sharing the best beauty news that's happening around the world this week. We are a.
Speaker 3: Backstain today with yet another beauty brand launch. I'm Amy Clark and I'm concerand this is the Beauty Edit. You'll weekly download of everything you missed in the beauty world. Here's what's trending. Haley Beaber's Road Beauty has officially launched in Sephora US. So following the footsteps of other celebrity founded brands like Frianna's fenty Beauty and Selena Gomez's Rare Beauty, the previously direct to consumer only skincare and makeup brand has partnered with Sephora for what will hopefully be a global retail expansion. So, Amy, what does that mean for us here in Australia.
Speaker 4: Other than all of us being extremely excited. The short answer is that yes, it's highly likely that Road will launch into the Australian market via Sephora. The longer answer is that it's a matter of if, not when. But that is, if we are to assume that Road will follow the same global pipeline as other Sophora exclusive brands like House Labs from Lady Gaga, Corterly Skincare, Patrick Tar Paula's Choice. But there is like a very slim chance that the brand could follow the at blueprint, which is by launching their own Australian dtwoc website. But the fact that there's a UK Sephora Road launch already confirmed for late twenty twenty five, and that the brand has this really strong pr and influencer presence in Australia already, we can assume a Sephora au launch isn't far off.
Speaker 1: Yay yay.
Speaker 3: From underlashing to ghost lashes, it's time to do last with mascara. In case you missed it, I urgently need to discuss the underlashing trend that's taken over my TikTok feed for the last few weeks. Long story short, people are applying false slashes underneath their natural lash line rather than on top for a more seamless and natural look. What's your virtue on this one? Abe?
Speaker 4: Controversially, I hate wearing muscaa strip lashes, literally anything that feels even remotely heavy on my lashes, So this is not for me in general, but I do see what they're doing with it, and I like it for anyone willing to give it a go. But what I really love is this swing to a more natural lash.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 4: You know brown mesca u ghost lashes, which is basically just applying a really thin coat and going for length in separation over thickness and volume. But I feel like this is more up your Alley because you are a makeup queen.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know about that, but I do love a good lash. If years of a stead for dance have taught me anything it's that most of them are for stage lighting only. I think underlashing is a great option for people wanting to wear lashes to create a more subtle look for the day to day. Plus, it's much more accessible than eyelash extensions and you can take them on or off depending on your look. Are fragrance primers signaling the skinification of the perfume category, so Rare Beauty and Chanell have recently launched some fragrance primers, which are essentially like a subcategory that's been quietly building in the market over the last few years, and it's hinting towards a skinification of the category. The launches of things like Chanelle's Gabrielle Chanell Fragrance primer, as well as Rare Beauty's Fragrance Layering balms, signaled that, like many other categories, including hair and makeup, the fragrance category is also adapting skincare concepts like priming and layering.
Speaker 4: I had not heard of fragrance primers until you brought this up, but practically it does make a lot of sense, kind of like applying a makeup primer targeted to your specific skin concerns to enhance your foundation application. This extra step can be applied to skin before you spray your fragrance to help it last longer, bring down the cost per wear, intensify certain notes, and you can even layer to create your own unique scent. And much like a skincare routine, we are seeing the rise of one's niche or hobby concepts like fragrance layering, building a scent wardrobe, matching your fragrance to your mood, or having a fragrance routine for the hair and the body.
Speaker 3: And also amy this is just another example of reinventing some of the beauty hacks of the past. So I'm not sure if you know, but solid perfumes are actually an ancient invention and legend has it that Cleopatra loved to wear them. So these new age balm fragrances they work in a similar way as as applying a little vasaline too your pulse points before spritzing, or spraying your fragrance shortly after body moisturizer to lock in the scent.
Speaker 4: So look, is this a necessary step? Definitely not, as is the case with a lot of the beauty category extensions coming out across skincare, hair care, and bodycare, but they are worth looking into if you invest time, energy and money into fragrances, or if you're looking for a beginner friendly way to experiment with fragrance layering.
Speaker 3: Now you're up to date, let's get into all your beauty Q and a's with Lee and Kelly.
Speaker 2: So remember a few episodes ago we suggested some great ideas for a love of us. As thirtieth, I took our own inspiration Father's Day, my husband and I hung out with our child. But on the Saturday I got us a babysitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I booked us a joint day spar thing at the Langham because the Langham in Sydney you get to use the facilities like this, so the pool, the pool is like and we had a deba and he loved it, but it was mostly for me because I grew that baby.
Speaker 1: I am the mother.
Speaker 2: He sure put the swerm in and hits Father's date.
Speaker 1: Yallodia gave you an ingredient.
Speaker 2: Day, so a day off with the babysitter and I had a great time at the day Star.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. I just wanted to share that little hactual. You and my friend run in two fifty cent at the Langham the other day? Oh my god? And Simone Biles? How did I know where the which is why you guys are there? All right, let's do this. What are our questions for the week. I couldn't help, but wonder asked me anything. You asked many questions. So let's start off with a question from Loretta. Hi, do led masks slash glasses actually work for bags and circles under eyes? If so, do you have any recommendations? I would love to hear your opinion as beauty product experts. Thanks, Loretta.
Speaker 2: I'm just looking at the script. Keller. You haven't even looked at it since I did my bits. You've got no notes. No am I answering this night.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have thoughts, but I knew that you would have the links.
Speaker 2: I understand she loves the link. I do love a link because I can't remember things. Also, like I don't want to get the priced on. So Loretta, let's first, So my short answer would be no, Oh okay, Well, no, that's not true. So yes, they absolutely do work. But do you need a specific eye one, No, So we'll get into that in a second. But let me just give you a little bit of refresh science lesson on LED so you can do your omnilux and in salon ones they're great. Generally they put teeny tiny goggles over your eyes, not really necessary, but that's fine.
Speaker 1: Your eyes would literally it would. How do you mean they're not eyes? Everywhere?
Speaker 2: The goggles and I shut them and then when they turn it on, and then I slowly open them because it's good for everything. In Salon it's a lot stronger. But let me explain. So most LED at home light devices let's call them devices, use a combination of red or near infrared light waves, so they stimulate collogen and elastin. They improve your circulation, and they reduce inflammation. So if those things that I've just said are causing you to not love your under eyes, then absolutely can help. Consistency with these things is key pretty much every single day. But if your second day, I guess, but you more so need to take into account your genetics and your lifestyle. So if you are drinking six hundred bottles of wine and so much salt.
Speaker 1: Not drinking water.
Speaker 2: Probably the led you won't do that much. And genetically depends on the heritage of your family, because some ethnicities just naturally have darker circles. But if you're just feeling like your eyes, like, yeah, this can absolutely help.
Speaker 1: Because of this I was thinking of like people that just genetically have dark circles, I'm like, it's not going to improve it in that such a difference.
Speaker 2: And for me now that I'm in a good routine of every single night, probably five nights, Like my husband and I fight it. We've got two on rotational explan at the moment.
Speaker 1: I love that he uses it too. Then you're just like lying next to each other.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we take turn. Someone puts the kid to bed, and then someone showers and lads and the other on l d's and then shower. Yeah, so yes, they work. I would not go and get a specific eye one, And if you haven't already bought one yet, don't get one of those hard robot looking ones. Get a floppy one, yes, because you put that on your face. And then what I do when I want to do my area, well, I've got a couple obviously, but you just lay it over your eyes, just not where the eye circle is. And then I just again lay it on my chest and do you decolotage. So if it's a floppy one, it's fine. It's got like a little nose hole and eyes, but you just don't put that bit on your eye.
Speaker 1: But wouldn't you say that even the way that it's like it's getting the air?
Speaker 2: Yeah, most, I mean it's a tiny circle. One of my firmer like robot I call them like robot masks because they're firm, has.
Speaker 1: Quite a big eye hole. Oh okay, but it is good because I.
Speaker 2: Strap that on and it can work yeap, whereas the other one's not so much. I literally lay it across my eyes and that's the ten minutes I listen to a podcast or something. So there's a few one want to recommend. But yes, consistency is key. It will improve circulation and stimulate collagen and elastin. So that's a lot, you know, the creepiness and dryness along with skincare and or injectables if that's your thing. So the omnilux conto a face. It's roughly six hundred dollars and get everywhere online oftentimes on sale. The doctor Naomi let It glow led Glow is five ninety five. That's the floppy one I've got. So I've got a firm one that's like a robot face. And then that's the floppy one I've got. I've even got her chest one. I've never opened it because I can't be bothered. And then the one I really want to get because obviously I don't need another one, but it's just got so many great reviews is the current Body Series two that's six point eighty. That comes up in so many searches because you want to look for one that's got good strength, Like, don't buy one, like just there's someone team. Please do not buy devices from Timu or Machine or that.
Speaker 1: Please don't shop at those places really, right, you want a.
Speaker 2: T Shirt's probably not gonna hurt you. I'm not saying to shop there, but like something electronic or something beauty, so you're gonna want to spend a couple hundred bucks to get something decent. And then I want to really recommend light Stim. So light Stim is a brand and they've got a various handheld one. So I've got one that's like it looks like a looks like a not a microphone, I don't know, like an upside down golf club. And then it's a circle and you flick on the switch and you can hold it anywhere, so like I will hold it over one eye or more on my pigmentation or whatever. I mean.
Speaker 1: It's you're so good at doing things.
Speaker 2: No, I'm only good at this now because I've seen the benefits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I literally am like, holy shit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I wanted to say about that one is I do have the red one, but the most popular one for them is the blue one for breakouts, because oftentimes you're not broken out all over your face, you can just like hold it on the breakout treat is what I'm trying to say. They're really good. Obviously you do have to hold it, but they're more affordableor there a couple of hundred bucks, So yes, get a floppy one. Wait till they're on sale. They're always all on sale. You just pop it into Google, press the shopping tab and then add the word sale.
Speaker 1: And if you actually work out if you commit to using it, when you work out what it would be cost per use, it's way more affordable. Make sure that you just have to do it.
Speaker 2: Like my robot one broke after probably five months and I emailed them. I was like, I'm not happy with this and a new one immediately. Oh that's so cool because it is an investment. You want it to last for you got to use it.
Speaker 1: But yes, you do have to use it. My sister's using mine at the moment because she's got a wedding soon that she's a bridesmaid for.
Speaker 2: She's like, I notice it. I noticed the different difference. She's bad and drinking collagen for my ira and just my face in general. Being forty three and no longer getting injectables, I would be a raisin without it. There we go, all right.
Speaker 1: Next question is from Georgia. Hi you beauty. My question is about medical grade silicon tape for line slash wrinkles. I'm getting lots of Instagram ads about using it and they are very convincing. Do you know if there's any proof of work slash, any science to this. I know the exact ads that you're talking about, and also a lot of influencers flog them as well. At the moment, they'll be like LinkedIn my Amazon shop. I'm thirty six and stopped getting anti wrinkle. Its all down to this tape and their whole face is like taped in the morning.
Speaker 2: I know it's that unshdding thing forget yeah, Georgia, it depends. But look, long story short, no, because medical grade silicon is a wound healer. So if you have had a surgery or an injury and then there is a scar, what it does is protects the area and then therefore locks in hydration so it will flatten, soften, and fade scars. A wrinkle is not an injury. A wrinkle is not a scar. A wrinkle is process lines Like you've used that area a thousand times, so it doesn't need the same amount of healing. So what it will do is it will immediately in the immediate term, smooth that area out and make it look better. Because think of it like this. We love skin flooding and we love slugging. Think of your silicon mask or sheet or tapes or whatever as the final barrier cream.
Speaker 1: But it's a tape.
Speaker 2: Tape, so it is just locking heaps of juiciness in there, and so the highs locked in overnight, particularly because your skin loser is the most amount of volume of water besides exercise overnight while you're sleeping, and because also the skin has been static, it's kind of like ironed it a bit. But then you know, I ironed this skirt as soon as I wore it. Crinkle, crinkle, crinkle exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's such a good analogy to think of it like a skirt, because I think people probably do see a difference because in the morning they're like, oh, my skin's so smooth, but during the day it is just going to go back to the same and like.
Speaker 2: It will look great probably for the day or for the event, Like do it before a wedding, do it before an event. Sure, but it's not a long time. It's not like a retinole that you are building up and kind of reversing or getting results over time.
Speaker 1: It's also not a new concept because think about wrinkle shmink just patches first.
Speaker 2: I'm so I'm pro them for sure. Not for an event though you wouldn't do it every day, no, because also then you know it's kind of taking the place with something else that could work more long term. So I think it's fantastic. But medical grades silicon is healing a scar. It's like why we have micro needling. That's an injury, a micro injury. So your skin goes color. Jem me, but a wrinkles, not that wrinkles, just you know, a crease in your skirt. Yeah, so give it a go, But your longer term bet is vitamin a, you know, some antioxidants for preventative. Give it a go if you want to, but no, it's not gonna make your wrinkles go away long term. So say you did six weeks of it, it's not gonna help your wrinkles for next three months. It's gonna after the next day, after you stop over exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess it's cheaper though than any anti wrinkle if you're doing. It's not cheaper than a pot like a thing of vitamin A. Yeah, true, you know, yeah, you do you but no.
Speaker 2: It's a scar and a wrinkle are two very different things. That was fun.
Speaker 1: Now what beauty bite, Beauty bite, you go first, I've got some wisdom to share that I got wiz fiz.
Speaker 2: I was excited.
Speaker 1: Oh I've got a wiz fizz Okay, So I followed this really great skincare educator called Charlotte Parla.
Speaker 2: Oh I love Charlotte's it's my favorite.
Speaker 1: So she's posted this really great thread and it's about skincare, sort of dumbing it down for everyone, so it's really easy to understand Layman's terms. Yeah, and it blew my mind. I just yeah, So I thought this would be really helpful. Skincare isn't confusing. Brands are just not great at educating what their products do. Wine ingredients are in formulas, and generally scientists and experts aren't in the room. So I'm going to use an analogy that might help you.
Speaker 2: So I think they do it on purpose. Sometimes we buy more, so.
Speaker 1: We buy more. Exactly. Skincare is like a wardrobe. You have your essentials, things like cleans and moisturizer and sunscreen. As you get older or hormone shift, maybe you're developing acne or experiencing a loss in collagen, so you address it by adding a prescription or a serum. Doesn't change the essential wardrobe excellent. You don't stop wearing pants because you got glasses.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean sometimes I do, but not to work.
Speaker 1: And then you have accessories a face mist, an essence or something that's a little indulgent. You don't need them. But they can make an outfit look better or fit better. You don't need it, That's okay. It's personal preference, which brings me to my next point. Just like a wardrobe, skincare can change based on your location and age. What works for you in your twenties may not work as you get older. What worked in Florida not going to work in New York. Yes. What is challenging in skincare is navigating all of the claims or the you need this life changing product and then it's glorified tapwater, the endless See that's.
Speaker 2: What we say, by the way, But that's just because we're girlfriends like chatting back, I'm so amazing.
Speaker 1: But we also we say we and we always say this, like every couple of months as a reminder, we say, oh my goodness, you need this product if you're looking for a new product in.
Speaker 2: That friends that love beauty. We're not a brand saying you need this. We're not trying to sell it to you. Well, I mean, I guess we are, but only if you're looking for it. I don't make we don't get anything from it. No, tell you good shit, the endless cycle of consumption. When really, if you're consistent with the basics. You have one of the best most science back to routines preach, especially sunscreen. Can I add one more thing to wardrobe?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I would add like a diamond necklace or like milestone jewelry, and that would be like your facials yet needling and that sort of stuff. Once again not essential, but nice to have and potentially you're still not naked if you don't put those times. Yes, but potentially will make your outfit look yes, leveled up. It's like my other podcasts, Nothing to Wear, we ask a guest at the start, most women wear ten percent of the wardrobe ine percent of the time. So your essentials, your captural wardrobe that she was talking about is your skincare, which is your moisturize, a ESPF, your conza, and a low a lot.
Speaker 1: Probably, just like with a wardrobe, we spend the least amount of money on our essentials as on our like basic skin care, and then the most on all the fancy extra things that we never wear all ears on our face. But they're fun and they're pretty.
Speaker 2: I really liked that. That's a good reminder.
Speaker 1: You've bought you.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is my second one. First one, well, I can't bring it, it's at home, was sent to me by the pr and I loved it so much I purchased another one. It's called the Lushy Filter and I haven't opened it yet. So it's just a dark purple box with some cool land writing or lushy filter. It's a filter for your face sort of. So a bit of a backstory. I got one of those shower filters because it depends on where you live and look. In Australia, we're pretty lucky. Our water is quite soft, so but even Melbourne to Queensland, the water tastes different. There's different minerals and everything, and this is particularly good for people who have xmas, orsis dermatitis sensitively whatever.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so it's a shower filter, but it's not.
Speaker 2: For the shower. So years ago I got a shower filter and I was like, wonderful. And then I got home and I've got one of those. I've got like the normal one that comes out there, but it's actually not normal, and then an elephant rain shower whatever. So I was like, I am Bob the Builder, I can do this. Broke my whole shower trying to she could not. Rich gets home, he goes what is going on in there? I was like, I wanted to do this thing. So this is an ext best thing. I mean, that would be really good for your hair and your body if you do have it shoes, or you've got really hard water where you live. But this is for washing your face, and no one can get this wrong. So you wash your face at the basin side. Note, my skin effing hates me right now, just at the end of winter. My underreyes are red raw. I like, my.
Speaker 1: Undernose is red raw, but mine I wasn't.
Speaker 2: Sick or anything. I think it's pery. I think it's I don't allergies. Even if you don't have allergies, if your under eyes are red brown each oy, I looked at started all my mascars anyway, so you know how much how I buy a demmocella water, which is basically water that washes your face, but I do a double cleans quite often, or and I just want to use water. I mean, it's quite boring to show, but it's this little thing that you can put on your normal tap and because most people have normal taps, it filters the water. But in your bathroom tap. So if you like it's helped so much, this is a new an. Obviously it's helps so much with my skin. Whatever was going on with it. I don't think it's the allergies. I think it's hormone inside stress bits. And then it just makes it like the purest amount of water, like good water. I'm not I'm really good explaining water. How many times can I say water?
Speaker 1: You would touch it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, look, rich did the out of this one? Because you think I went home with the PM and I was like, I put an ego, leave it. Yeah, because we've got a bathroom up says downstairs, and now I've decided to reconfigure who sleeps were so now I needed another one for downstairs. Anyway, it looks really boring. It's one hundred and twenty nine dollars. You stick it on, let me tell you with a few things about.
Speaker 1: It, and then you have to change it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have to change the filter so it removes harmful impurities, leaving your skin hydrated, radiant, and protected. Multi stage filtration process removes ninety nine percent of contaminants like chlorine, lead, heavy metals, microplastics, and rust. So particularly like our bathroom downstairs, because the front part of our house is heritage, so all that's like a billion years old, so the pipes would be dodgy anyway. If you have sensitive skin, if you have rosatia, if you have sens the tire skin, any sort of dermatitis, little changes like this, Like I've got a girlfriend that only washes her face with bottled water. Well she has to do because she's like like her skin like cracks and is so sore.
Speaker 1: She's not I carry, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's not heavy r like she's still just getting like the oh the poor thing. Yeah, this is great, right, So it's like this little it looks like a little like pill holder, like a little I mean, no, it doesn't. You just picture the tap comes out there.
Speaker 1: I feel like people need to see it. You will give.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously, Well link in the show notes. It's this cute little white thing that's the filter that's like a little Well it's not that cute.
Speaker 1: So my next question is you have done beautiful innovation that was my old house. Oh okay, so you don't care say someone has and they've got like really fancy.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't want itchy, flaky skin in the guests run where people go to the water closet to wash their hands. It's upstairs where you don't like people going. Okay, true, you know, yeah, is underneath. So the lovely founder is an Elise. She moved to Australia and the chlorine smell, which I think in Queensland the water smells like chlorine. I quite like it. Oh my god, taste it. Every every city has different water. Adelaide has the nicest water. Anyway, she developed this and it really helped her skin. Okay, so that's my second one.
Speaker 1: Well, that's all for today. We will be back in your ears and eyes on Friday together and in the meantime come and find us on Instagram or TikTok.
Speaker 2: All right at home through the office, don't forget. You can listen to this if you have very early in the morning and then YouTube drops in the eppening if you want to watch us and see my little field top and Kelly's lovely y two K pink vibe. Bye, alright bye,