Speaker 1: Welcome to the Kick Your Expert led podcast, helping you explore and learn everything about gettingant, pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent.
Speaker 2: On the podcast and our online pregnancy program grow My Baby, we share my experience of helping more than four thousand babies to.
Speaker 1: Be born, and our experience of running a women's health clinic and parenting for boys.
Speaker 2: We're here to help everyone to feel empowered in pregnancy and birth with real life, practical information.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone. I'm Bridgid Maloney and.
Speaker 2: I'm obstetrician Dr Patrick Maloney.
Speaker 1: And today we're talking about a universal symptom. While I think it's universal, people feel so fatigued in pregnancy and it's universal. Good, And they say, why am I always so tired?
Speaker 2: Oh? Tired? Good?
Speaker 1: All right, I want to start with Pat. Why is something like fatigue so easily dismissed in pregnancy?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that people just know that pregnant women are tired, so it's easy to say, well, you're pregnant. There you go, that's the new normal. That's the way it is. And I think we need a better framework than that. We probably need to be saying right, oh, well, hang on a minute, let's make sure that there's nothing else wrong with you. Yeah, and then if it is just pregnancy fatigue, how can we help manage that in a way that's constructive and helps the people around you help you in the way that they can ye.
Speaker 1: So in this episode, we're going to go through the different stages of pregnancy and link the fatigue around those different stages and what might be happening.
Speaker 2: For you.
Speaker 1: How often do people come in and say, look, I am just so tired.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that it's nearly universal in the first trimester, and people expect the noise you're in volmiting because we all know about that, But that doesn't happen to everybody. Most people get a bit, some people get tons, and a few lucky people get nun but everyone is tired, yeah, almost without exception.
Speaker 1: And it's a bit shocking, isn't it that it happens so soon as soon as you find out you're pregnant. Pretty much, it's just like a switch goes on and you go poop.
Speaker 2: Well, it's how some people find out they are pregnant. They go, I've never felt this died in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just want to describe that tideness for me, and that was really like I had been hit by a truck. Yeah, Like it was just that very much bone weary, tired, where I felt like I couldn't really even lift my arms up and.
Speaker 2: Just walk like it.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't the whole pregnancy, but just right at the start, that's how I felt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So this is thought to be related to higher levels of progesterone. And there's a a progesterone of pregnancy called pregnantanolone, which is quite active within our neurological system, and it's part of the brain's inhibitory pathway. So there are some things that fire us up and some things that settle us down. And progesterone in early pregnancy is calming and sedating and helps calm down excess firing of our brains in our nervous of our brain and nervous system, and it makes you sleeping.
Speaker 1: I don't expect you to know the answer to this, but from an evolution perspective, you think that that's really dangerous.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it's for.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, if you're in a tribe back in the day and all of a sudden you had all these sort of symptoms where you're really fatigued and stuff like you're a bit screwed.
Speaker 2: Yet on the African planes, it right, pick up all the pregnant where we're move to where the food's at, but they're too tired to come with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you would think that, like, you know, back so at that early stage, some people like you said, the fatigue is the thing that makes them think am I pregnant? Yeah? But back in the day, would they put two and two together.
Speaker 2: I think that there are some of the physiological changes in pregnancy, the normal things that happened that that that you can see the point of it. But getting bone tied in the first time messages seems a bit cruel, A bit cruel, Yeah, especially if you're also horribly nauseator. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also not told anyone. So you're trying to go about your normal day, You're going to work, you're feeling like you needed to crawl under your desk and have a little nap, or you're doing an active job like you're a nurse or a teacher, on your feet all the time, Like I don't. It's I was lucky in my pregnancies where I could just sort of like zone out a little bit at a desk, but if I was in an active role, that would have been really challenging for sure. Right, So we've got first trimester pregnancy fatigue with progester owne issues. But I did see on Insta that your metabolism increases fifteen to twenty percent during pregnancy, and this is thought that's one reason why people get tired. But I thought fifteen to twenty percent for real, Like, I think we need to fact check that.
Speaker 2: Good well done, especially if it came from Insta. Yeah, so I think it's true that there are significantly increased metabolic demands when you're pregnant. So metabolic demand is just the energy required for your body to do all the things that it's doing. It's making a whole new person. But I don't think that your metabolism magically and at all times is able to is able to have a big uptick, big up to can pump that out in the way that it's needed. And perhaps that's where some of the deficit and the titness comes from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if some people put that like this was on a very well known birth educator's post, so if they put that together with okay, well, if my metabolism has increased fifteen to twenty percent, that means I do have to eat more. But that's not true really either. It's your calories. Additional calories do increase a little bit, but not to the point where you have to be eating fifteen to twenty percent more.
Speaker 2: Not at the start. No, no, So I always Metaiblism is a complex thing and it's not just fuel in one end and performance out the other. So in the first trimester, there's there's no increased caloric intake required, which is hand, isn't it, because you don't feel like eating anywhere. Yeah. Yeah, That's why I feel very very comfortable saying to people if you if you're horribly nauseated, eat fruit, eat fruit, tingles and salt and viniar chips and water, because that'll get some calories in, some water in and you'll get through the day. But it's not like you need to be eating tons of extra stuff follow that's it to have a healthy first trimester, And then there is you do need to be getting some extra calories in and the second and third t because you'll look at that, you know, the in the third trimester. The start of the third trimester that the baby's all formed but not very big, and then so the whole rest of the time is just all getting bigger. Yeah, now the ends you do, that's coming from somewhere, all right. Pad.
Speaker 1: So the next reason that this particular post said that people feel fatigued in first trimester was because the immune system had kicked in, and that feeling that the immune system was working in overtime sort of left your feeling like you had a mild cold all the time and that was increasing your tightness.
Speaker 2: That does not sound applausible to me at all. I think that your immune system definitely changes when you're pregnant. There are a number of important changes that your immune system needs to undergo, mostly so you don't reject your own baby, because the babies inside you it's half paternally derived, and it's and it's and so your immune system does function a bit differently, and if you look at some diseases with immune basis, they'll often function very differently. So people with say x ME, will often get better temporarily. Autoimmune conditions like a room toiter arthritis loopers asthma will often get temporarily better and then worse again afterwards. Thoroiditis, and these are due to changes in the way the immune system functions while you're pregnant. I'm not sure what the connection is with tiredness though, I don't I don't. I don't really see that, all right. I doubt that's accurate. I think I think that the immune system functions differently. I don't think that makes you tired.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about building more blood volume?
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, that's a thing. I'm not sure if it's related to tiredness. Definitely, you've built a lot more blood volume, so the blood volume increases significantly. It's got to fill up the placenta. And when you're pregnant, the physiological changes are very impressive. The cardiac changes are very impressive. So your rum heart rate is higher. The thing called stroke volume, which is how much your blood pumps out with each pump, is much higher, and there's a lot going along going on in your circulatory system. The exact relationship to tiredness, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I suppose, I don't know. Maybe they were positing that it's because your body is producing or making all this extra blood volume.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, I think, I mean, I think the most plausible connection to tiredness would be a hormonal one. Yeah, yeah, these other things are happening, doesn't mean to make it tired. I might be splitting hairs here, but it's but some of the stuff you read about pregnancy from non expert sources has a sort of a pseudo scientific face plausibility that actually is not under there's no there's no actual data or convincing mechanism of action behind it. So if you say your body's doing all these things and therefore you're tired, it's like, well, yeah, maybe, but I want to hear I want to know more. I want to hear more. How is that making me tie?
Speaker 1: It's so interesting, and you know, maybe we are sort of going down a rabbit hole a little bit. But if people are interested in this, go back and listen to our episode that we did on experts on social Media, you know, where we talked about if someone can say it really confidently and with certainly certainty, and people feel like, oh good, this person is in control. They know that you are tired in first tromester because you're doing X y Z. You know that that sort of gives people sense of calm in that. But you know, good, I'm glad that I've fact checked all those things with you. So you think in first trimester it's mainly progesterone, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And again we also talked about how you saying I think so, that's good science, Like without the data, you think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to the best of my knowledge, perhaps perhaps there isn't Perhaps no one knows for sure, but yeah, that is good science. Saying we don't know is a lot better than saying, here's something that sounds like it might be correct, and I will say it because it because I want to sound authoritative.
Speaker 1: Ye, all right, Pat. So the next thing is, I don't know if it's a myth or not, but mostly people say that they get their energy back in second trimester.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that does tend to improve round about the time that the nausea and vomiting improve, about twelve weeks. And people will say, yeah, okay, fine, I'm back. I'm still not my old self, but I'm not that sort of deep bone tired that I was at ten or eleven weeks, and I've started to respond better to rest and can manage give or take my old day pre pregnancy day.
Speaker 1: All right, And what about for those people that you know, unfortunately don't say that they get any energy back and they have this ongoing fatigue. What are the things that you're looking for.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we just have to make sure that we're not dealing with someone who's tired completely for other reasons. So the two big ticket ones that we talk about a lot of hypothyroidism and iron deficiency anemia. So the hypothyroidism that it can be common in pregnancy, it can be subtle. Checking thyroid function is pretty easily done as a blood test. There are a number of sort of medical students style style examination findings that can indicate thorough disease, but they're often subtle, and in pregnancy, we want to pick them up long before the person's examination is abnormal, so we just do it by test. And iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia is an interesting one. Everybody agrees that iron deficiency anemia i've got such the line that we're not making enough for blood cells and the hemoglobin is actually low, that that's a convincing form of tightness and should be treated. Not everybody agrees that iron deficiency with a normal hemoglobin is clinically significant, but most of us think that some people feel otherwise, but authoritative bodies, national Associations of Hematologists, red Cross, various blood experts nationally feel that iron deficiency in and of itself can be symptomatic even if the hemoglobin is still in the normal range.
Speaker 1: And is this where somebody might have low ferretin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the best, the most sort of useful measure on the iron test is called ferretin. And if we check the ferret and it's very low under thirty, especially, you know, especially if it's under twenty. You know, definitely if it's in single digits, that's likely to be symptomatic in the form of tiredness, decrease, exercise tolerance, sometimes lowered mood, even if the hemoglobin, which is all we used to check, is still up one hundred and twenty five and thirty.
Speaker 1: And if someone's having care where that practitioner is looking at their hemoglobin only and that hemoglobins, like, what can they do if they then still feel the same symptoms and still feel the fatigue, Can they ask to have their ferret and check for sure?
Speaker 2: You can? You can definitely ask at a local doctor or in an antenatal visit. I feel like my iron might be low even though my emoglobin's okay, and if that iron was low, I would be interested in having that treated. Remember, the iron in your pregnancy multivitamin is about enough to keep you going where you are because the baby's stealing lots of your irons. So if your iron's a hundred and you take the iron in the in the antenatal multivitamin, then the baby will keep on stealing, but you're adding some so it's going to state about hundred. But if your iron's ten, the baby will keep on stealing. The iron in the multivite won't be enough. You'll remain deficient, so you need that plus extra, and extra would be to take an iron tablet in addition to the multivite, which is hard to do every day. They tend to cause constipation so much every second day. And if we can see that in that intake is exceeding output, so we're getting more in than the baby stealing, then it'll come back up. But if that's still not working, or if the deaf deficit is so profound that we don't think it's going to have a reasonable chance of working, then sometimes we'll skip the gut and go straight to the intravenous iron infusion.
Speaker 1: And is it anecdotal. Yes, it's anecdotal. But I'm noticing that we're having a lot of our patients have iron infusions. Do you think it's a it's a sort of growing issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a few. It's a it's an interesting question. I think a few things have happened at once. There's always been iron infusions. But when I was a junior doctor, it's pretty awful they have an iron infusion. It really hurt. You got to be super duper careful that the vein, you know, you have the vein really well canulated so none of it leaked out, But mostly it hurt the patient as the iron went up there vein, and it was painful. So they were in general given to people who had chemo, who are having chemo, who had you know, a profound uh profound iron deficiency, or perhaps who wouldn't who needs really needed a blood transfusion, but but but wouldn't consider one for whatever reason. So it was a bit of a last resort. But then they invented one that didn't hurt, so, you know, give or take, it's a very well tolerated form of iron. And then at the same time, I think being a vegetarian, certainly in Australia is more popular with women in the pregnancy age group than it used to be. So for for you know, ethical reasons. Some a lot, a lot of women in the pregnancy years are not meat eaters for ethical reasons or for religious preference, or for that just turns them off. Yeah, there's a weird phenomenon where you might need red meat in early pregnancy. But that's the last thing possibly say.
Speaker 1: It can't stand the smell of it even cooking. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's another one of those things that seems counterintuitive. And but so you know, in that cohort of women, they are likely to come into the more likely than other groups in the community to come into the pregnancy owned a fishon in the first place. Remember, they've often been menstuating everything, trying to have a baby. So a bunch of other young women who had iron deficiency, they might be treating that by having a marina and not menstruating, or be on the pill and menstruating less. But the group trying to have a baby, maybe they've been trying for six months, have been having a proper natural period for six months, eating no meat, get pregnant checkered iron fish fascinating.
Speaker 1: So apart from are there any other symptoms that you would expect with someone that has an iron deficiency.
Speaker 2: Well, the other symptoms are probably more related to iron deficiency anemia where it was sort of run out of iron. We're not making up for new red blood cells, and now the hemoglobin is actually low, so pale poor exercise tolerance can't walk up ill anymore. And occasionally we'll see this in a pregnant woman. It's much more common to see this in my job, in someone who comes in at forty seven forty eight with heavy menstrual bleeding from a big fire broad uterus and the GPS checked their hemoglobin and at seven where did it all go? Well, it just went a little bit more out each month than the woman could get in. Yeah, so she ate a bit of red meat but couldn't keep but was never catching up with how much she was losing through periods that had big clots or floods, and wake up in a puddle in the morning in bed and that incro mentally used up all the iron and then the hemoglobin start to fall. Our body's pretty good at adapting, so we just get a little you know, the oxygen. The hemoglobin carries oxygen from our lungs out to our body, and there's a thing called oxygen association curve where our body says, right, if they're not much hemoglobe will make it easier for the oxygen to leap off into the tissues, and so and so these all of these slight adjustments are made by our body as the iron gets lower and lower and the hemoglobin gets lower and lower. But then we get to a thing called slippery slope where we just can't managin it, manage it.
Speaker 1: I'm imagining all the thirty year olds that are listening to our podcasts and you say this happens when you're forty seven, forty eight, and they're like, no, something else I get to look forward to dear. All right, So you touched a little bit on mood. Much. Does mental health conditions impact on fatigue in pregnancy?
Speaker 2: Well? I think it's It works both ways, doesn't it. So if you've got a mental health issue that can manifest us fatigue, So people with depression feel tired, they feel uninterested in the things that used to get them fired up. There it's difficult to get out of bed in the morning. The day doesn't seem to hold the hold for them, the things that used to be worth getting out of bed for. And then it works in the other direction as well, in that if you are very, very tired, it makes any mental health issue you might have seem worse.
Speaker 1: And we are moving into third trimester now, and sometimes this fatigue comes back that you had in the first trimester.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why is that? Well, I think by then it's due to actual metabolic demand, an actual metabolic diffic deficits. So I think by then, your body's got a lot of work to do. That you're lugging around a three kilow baby and a and a and a placenta and all the extra water and then and the water around a baby, and then the water in your tissues and the and the and the swollen ankles, and then your brain is doing a lot of background work. It's processing, especially first baby, you're processing the mental load of the change. A lot of people find change tiring.
Speaker 1: I do, don't go there.
Speaker 2: Pat so they they So there's a lot going on and and and and that's a that's a different I think, a different form of tightness. That's that's not that's not home only driven like the first trimester one. It's it's it's literally like you're carrying around a big, heavy sack.
Speaker 1: Pat mentions the brain and the brain changes. If you're fascinated by that, go back and listen to our episode that we did with doctor Sarah Mackay, who's a neuroscientist. It's just really fascinating how the woman's brain is changing, particularly in the first pregnancy. Good, all right, what are some of the things people can do if they do feel this enormous fatigue.
Speaker 2: I think that it's worth reporting, So don't just how pregnant it's I'll be fine or no one cares. It's worth worth reporting because the akara would say, we'ld ask a few red flag type questions and then think, hang on a minute, perhaps we should be excluding organic disease, so let's make sure this isn't e deficiency, in deficiency, anemia or hypothyroidism in particular. And then if it's none of those things and it's just we're feeling very tight because we're pregnant, then we need to adapt. Adapt.
Speaker 1: And it's the same sort of I don't know, routine and hygiene that you would use if you want to look at your sleep patterns, how you're going to bed, like, what's your hydration, like, what's your stress level? Like like just because you're pregnant, those things don't disappear. You need all of those things. And I want to put in a big plug for exercise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point.
Speaker 1: And it's not just because I'm a recently converted exercise gym goer.
Speaker 2: When you least feel like is when you need the most, and it.
Speaker 1: Can be something as simple as a walk around the block like fresh air. It just it's a method of resetting exercise.
Speaker 2: Nobody ever went for a swiam or a walk around the block and wish they had. Let's say that is a very good point.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone, Yes, it is universal. Fatigue is something that is everybody on everybody's radar when they're pregnant. Hopefully some of those things that we've talked about today give you some tips to know where and you should maybe get that investigated further. And then you know, look at your patterns, what are you doing in your day, look at your exercise, your sleep routine, your hydration, and we wish you lots of luck.
Speaker 2: Good a lot of times it's sometimes this is one of those soldier on situations after important causes more important, more medical causes have been excluded. But you know, it is, it is. It is tough to tell the truth about this one. There is at the end of it all, when you when the placenter's out and you're no longer pregnant, those pregnancy related causes of feeling tired all the time do resolve, but unfortunately they're replaced by the demands of a newborn, and so that it's a false dawn at the end, and then there's a whole new set of adaptations needed to meet the next challenge.
Speaker 1: And even though I felt bone weary also at one point in the fourth fourth newborn phase, I still felt more physically able. So you can meet those challenges with a body that feels more physically able because you no longer actually different growing a baby internally, Yeah it is different. Good all right, everyone, keep growing those babies. You're doing a great job.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, bye for now. Hey, even though doctor Pat is well a doctor and we get lots of other doctors and other experts on our podcast, I just need to remind you that this podcast is for informational purposes only. We share lots of medical insights and experience, but everything we talk about is general in nature and may not apply to your specific situation. Please always consult with your own healthcare provider for your individual medical advice. When you grow your baby,