Speaker 1: So much.
Speaker 2: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 1: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: From Mamma Mia.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Spill your daily pop culture fixed. I'm more Broadneck and today I'm.
Speaker 2: Joined by I'm Kelly mccaren.
Speaker 1: I love doing a little throw to my mystery guest home.
Speaker 2: Mystery guest while em is what is him doing? She's doing some sort of a YouTube course. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I can't talk about that. I was like, wait to sell out our podcast and just go and do something completely different for a few week.
Speaker 2: Good for us because I get to dive on in.
Speaker 1: Yes, actually having you here is fun. I just like to berate her when I can.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, fair enough. So what's on the show today?
Speaker 1: Laura coming up on the show today. Lizo is back in the headlines for Looks.
Speaker 2: Isn't back baby? She really is.
Speaker 1: She went away for a while, She's come back, and because she's Lizo, there's a lot of controversy around her new job, her new album, a statement she made on stage the other day, her ongoing legal battle into all of that. But first, I love that you're always hearing on Tuesday, Kelly, because there is a day after The White Lotus airs on binge here in Australia. So I actually didn't get to see the episode last night because I was at an event very late last night, very early morning interview, and I knew I was going to be hit with spoilers, and that's okay. But last time you look so angry.
Speaker 2: I'm just dirty. What did I threaten last week?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, people, okay, last week I was sitting here with Laura on this very same couch, in these same positions. You know what, today, I'm even dressed more White Lotus than you actually do.
Speaker 1: Look like you could be by the pool of the White Lotus and Thailand.
Speaker 2: But I said, did I not? I can't deal with their undercurrent incest vibes. If Mike White wants to continue down this track, I'm going to have to just bow out. Well, after last night's episode, it looks like I shall not be finishing the last out of season five.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: Yuck.
Speaker 1: I wish you could see Kelly's face. I'll have to take a pot on post it because you just look absolutely horrified.
Speaker 2: Yuck. Jess. I'm sorry, but there are a lot of storylines that I'm okay with. Incest is not one of them. That is yuck.
Speaker 1: Okay, So obviously this is very light spoilers for last night, and don't worry for people who haven't can't I your shoes, But this is everywhere today.
Speaker 2: You kind of scared. I didn't watch it till this morning, so I'd already seen all the incest stuff last night or this morning when I was on social, which you know, I should have known. I should have known that I couldn't deal with it. Didn't have the stomach for it. One of the brothers did have a vomit. I was with him. I also wanted to have a big vomit.
Speaker 1: Again, if anyone who's not super across the right Loaders. But you've seen the memes and everything. This is the Ratliffe family in season three of The White Loaders. They're the very rich, very white very dad's got.
Speaker 2: The big schlong them, likes to talk about Buddhism, yes, the daughter wants to be a very well off family. And they've got these two brothers.
Speaker 1: The oldest two's played by Arnold Schwarzenegger's son, and then Sam Navola plays the younger brother and there's been this underlying incest tension between them, especially in the Younger Brothers ed since episode one. At first, I wasn't sure if it was just an underlying current and nothing was going to come of it.
Speaker 2: But do something to come of it, anything, man, Mike Whitet. He doesn't do anything just to dilly dally around with it. We should have known. We should have known that he was going to commit. He teased us with it, then he was going to commit. It was just yuck, not okay with it.
Speaker 1: Some people have been saying this season is a bit too slow, so now it's kind of really up to the ants.
Speaker 2: He don't you think. I just think that you could have done a lot of things, but not having brothers jack each other off and walk around like they've been railed by each.
Speaker 1: Other was not I mean, that's definitely a visual so but yes, you're well by this. So I'm hearing this from a lot of people. Some people are like not loving it, but I guess they're lurry.
Speaker 2: If you're into this, that's weird.
Speaker 1: But I don't think people are into watching that. I think that people horrified, but they're also amused and it's kind of like, it's almost like an exist reading TV experience for some people, because the reason you watch a show like The White Lotus is for the shock value a lot of the time, and because we're in seasons.
Speaker 2: Really now, yeah, oh I reckon. You watch it because you want to enjoy a little bit of drama while you watch rich People by Pillar. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: But think back to the first season of Like the Managers. To Mary Butler's character, it was the only wild sex and the people.
Speaker 2: Will Oh I forgot about that. The only thing I remembered from that season was him shitting in someone suit.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that too. But this is what I'm saying. It has all these kind of crazy moments. Yeah, that's true, and the feedback on this season was not crazy enough.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure Mike White was watching all of that. Oh so then he was like, Okay, let's get one brother to jack off the other brother. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I mean again, you don't have to like what characters do, right, It's about watching the lives of people you would never interact with.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I mean hold this space. Next week, I might be sitting in this seat again, going yeap, oh god, I just I simply cannot. I've had to bleach my eyeballs. You've come back on the incest treen to my hands up, did did it?
Speaker 1: That's not the lyrics is yeah, oh it is pretty much. It's like Lizzo's in the frame with us. So yeah, if you're a Lizo fan, which I still very much call myself a Lizo fan, like her music spanging, she's amazing. But if you've been a Lizo fan the last couple of years, it has been a little difficult because a few years ago a whole bunch of allegations came out against her from dances that she had worked with in choreographers, which kind of shattered the allusion to some extent for a lot of fans who just saw her as like she just came across as the most warm, wonderful person, this kind of light in show business.
Speaker 2: The end of the day, she's still a business bitch. Well that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, some of it's disproven, But where right now is that she did kind of go away for a little bit. She wasn't touring, she wasn't releasing music, she wasn't doing interviews. Off the back of all this drama.
Speaker 2: She was doing the cancelation playbook, which is Disappear. Yes.
Speaker 1: So she went away for a while and recently she's come back with a bit of a bang because she's got some good career news. She's got a new album coming out. But she's also booked her first lead role in a movie. So she's set to play Sister Rosetta Tharp, Who's someone I didn't know about, but I guess that's a great thing when someone has a movie made about their life, you get to learn their story. So she's an American gospel singer no one as the godmother of rock, and Lizo is going to be playing her in a.
Speaker 2: Movie None, I am assuming, So for names, sister.
Speaker 1: I think that's more like her stage name. Oh okay, never mind, I mean, I guess we'll know more in the movie. Okay, I don't know for sure. This is the first I don't want to Kelly, just bloody. Go watch the film when it comes out. Well, apparently she used like all different versions of music and was you know, a turing artists and people loved her. So Lizo shared the announcement to her Instagram page. You know how Deadline is the first platform to announce they have all the exclusives on new movies and what well, a lot of actors say they know they've made it when you get a Deadline article because they all post the Deadline articles to their Instagram. It's like the thing to do to show that you're legit. So Lizo posted her first Deadline article announcing her as the lead of this movie, and in the caption she wrote, black people made rock and roll. Yeah, and then she said it's finally out, y'all. I'm so excited and honored. It's actually the first time she started in a feature film since twenty nineteen Hustlers, although that was just more of a bit supporting part.
Speaker 2: So she's the proper lead role. She's the least gonna be fantastic, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: And also just a different foray from her. She's obviously did her reality TV show, but she's mostly been a touring artist and like a few little acting roles here and there. So leading a movie is a big deal.
Speaker 2: Obviously, also trying to just really mix things up and not just go back to touring and doing the same thing that she was doing before she got quote unquote canceled.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. So let's get into the cancelation, And I mean, I know people always go like I hate that word or it's not true, but it has just become like a way of explaining when someone goes through an allegation and then a backlash and everything that follows, like it doesn't mean they're gone for good. It just means they go through that public prot I think.
Speaker 2: It's just what we call exactly right, that public pr process. When something comes out about someone, you can't go onto their social media without the comment sections being absolutely full of things about it, and it's all anyone's talking about in relation to that person. Of course, they're not canceled to take cancel a person, like even the ones that we sent to jail, you're not actually canceled. You've still got like a mum and people that you can call. Like even many of those people come back into the spot like it's very much good. As we talked about this morning, lots.
Speaker 1: Of people exactly even people who have done way worse stuff than Lizard. Because we should say she has not been convicted or fowl guilty of it.
Speaker 2: Also wasn't that bad. I don't think it wasn't just that she might have been a bit of a mole to work for. Let's get into that.
Speaker 1: There's a few different things, and it's good to know because also there were so many different allegations from so many people that it was definitely, i think, unless you were really following all the granular moments, very hard to keep track of who was making what allegations. So one of the allegations which has recently been dismissed was from fashion designer Asher Daniels, who says that Lizzo undersaw a unsafe, sexually charged workplace and culture, and she also accused Lizo of making racist and fat phobic remarks and also mocking other black women in the entourage. This is when they were doing the international tour. Lizzo had always said from the beginning this was a very absurd publicity stunt, and she said that everything that Asha Daniels was saying was untrue, and her team at the time came out and said that she was a disgruntled former employee who was just out to make delicious claims. So that one has actually recently been dismissed only because it was found that it was actually the touring and payroll company who was the defendant In the ongoing case. So the judge has granted a partial motion to dismiss a lot of the claims just because they're saying that technically Lizzo wasn't the employer, Like, I'm really breaking this down to a granular level.
Speaker 2: But I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I did not know this because it wasn't actually Lizo, that she can sue for the unsafe working conditions is what they found. It's the tour company, and because it was a European tour company, American laws do not apply. Okay, so that's been partially dismissed. But also three of Lizzo's former tour dancers sue The Star over a year ago now and accused her of sexual harassment and fat shaming over multiple incidents that they say that took place from twenty twenty one and twenty twenty three. And a lot of those stories and accusations from these women are very wild about things that happen behind the TV show they were on. Oh that just that she would make terrible remarks about what they looked like, that she would be fat shaming towards them, that she would be like critical of how they looked. Not a chance all these there's also allegations that she took them to a sex club when they were touring, and that she made them do things they were uncomfortable with. It's all these kind of different stories of like you're hearing, like Lizo's saying like, this is what happened, this is what I saw, their saying this is false. And then you have these other three dancers saying that they were treated terribly. They were like, you know, she'd scream at them and treat them badly and make sexual remarks about that.
Speaker 2: We all been to a strip club or a sex show with a boss before. And then I mean, I feel like you have this bonding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean again, you work in entertainment media marketing, like you actually do some weird things, really weird.
Speaker 2: Stuff with someple you work with.
Speaker 1: Some people on Liza's team have said this, so obviously all accusations at this point, this particular case, I think it might stretch on for a few years because there's so many different evidences and people.
Speaker 2: That they have to talk to.
Speaker 1: But some people on Lizzo's team have said that, yeah, you're touring and like you'll go to a strip club or a sex club or something like that, and it's meant to be like a bonding experience. Again, not discounting what those women have said, because we don't know what happened, but their side of the story is that Lizo was trying to, like, you know, take them all for a fun night, and no one was pushed into anything. But it was a bonding experience, and what happens on tour probably times a bit wild.
Speaker 2: The way that I imagine it went was just that they were super uncomfortable, and I'm so just projecting, but Lizzo would have been like, yeah, yeah, h yeah, get her. And if they are not into that sort of thing, which is totally fine, then obviously then it can be taken the wrong way, which is no one's real fault. But it's just like, oh god, some people just should not be in certain jobs. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: It sounds like, I mean, whatever happened behind the scenes, we don't know yet, it sounds like it was a bit of a wild time. But I think also, I don't know if you remember when the allegations came out. I remember very vividly because Lizzo was always one of those people who like she was the ultimate girls girl. She had just put out that reality show searching for dancers who could have been in different bodies and plus sized bodies and who would be shut out of the industry, and she was bringing them on too with her and giving them jobs and her music and everything she'd said, like she was this whole being that people looked up to as almost I guess, looking back now, like almost too good to be true in a way, that she was this perfect person, Like not that we thought she was perfect, but she just set herself apart from other celebrities for what she stood for. And so when that all came crashing down, I think it hit her fans particularly hard.
Speaker 2: Which is actually ridiculous if you think about it, because all that proves is it it's true that perfection doesn't exist. No one is perfect. You can still be the biggest girls girl and a sligh queen an amazing, but still have had a couple of issues with people, like every single person does in the history of the world, and anyone that's gonna arc up about it and get really cranky and oh, she's not who we thought we were. So you're saying that if you put in a room every single person that's ever worked with you in your entire life. They're not one person's gonna have a story about you or a slight problem with the thing is is that you're not a public figure. You don't have the world looking up to you as the girl's girl.
Speaker 1: I think maybe people, including myself might have felt differently if they were saying she was just a difficult boss, she was demanding, she wasn't as friendly, and.
Speaker 2: She's so successful.
Speaker 1: Well, all those things I would have believed, because I don't think anyone who's in that area where, like when they talk about celebrities, if you're like leading a movie or you're the star of a big too like that, I don't think you can be a normal person because you live in an unnormal world exactly if what they're saying is true. And again they're just allegations, but it's three of them saying and other people have all so corroborated their facts, which is why it's still going through the court legal system. Is that she did make a lot of fat shaming and body comments, and that I find really hard to reconcile my head, because you have to have that in your head to put it out there, like most people wouldn't even if you're a terrible person, you're difficult to work with.
Speaker 2: I think that's a separate.
Speaker 1: Layer of bringing those comments in, and I know it's laid because she's had those comments strong at her.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I don't really understand that, because how could you believe that she would be saying fat phobic things when she's very fat positive as a fat woman herself, loud and proud. Yeah, so it just doesn't really make sense to me, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, and that's the thing I mean, not that I want to hear it, but like it'd be interesting if there was videos or transcripts or anything to kind of know what she was saying, because it's interesting because no matter what size you are, I think, like, because the world we live in is so fat phobic, there's just different things that are ingrained now way of thinking that we might not even know that we're saying just because that's how people talk.
Speaker 2: But also for things consider joke, Yeah, exactly might be like I can joke about this because I'm she could be like I can make fat jokes I'm fat, but like those other people might not see it that way. Yeah, that makes sense. Like, so it's like, was it being too familiar in a space. That's a hard thing with accus there's so much nuance behind it you actually think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the hard thing for her too, and her public persona is that, yes, you'll bounce back, like, yes, she's touring a new album and she's going to be in a movie. And I'm sure she could like easily still sell out stadiums and I would like one hundred percent gone by a ticket to see her. But I think a lot of people would have just seen that first wave of allegations that happened that week and see all these horrible things and not look into it further and not be following the news like over a year later, So they're always going to think that of her like that will never go away.
Speaker 2: And also the thousands and thousands of other people that have met her and know her and worked with her that don't have anything bad to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, no, no, no. Recently, Lizzie was on stage and she was and she started talking for really the first time that I've seen her talk publicly about what she went through in the last year, and it was really the most raw I've seen a singer be on stage for a long time.
Speaker 3: About a year and a half. I guess I had to tell me. I was in such a dark, deep depression.
Speaker 4: I was so heartbroken by the world and so deep heard that.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to live in about it. And I was so deeply afraid of people that I didn't want to be seen.
Speaker 4: And eventually I got over a fear and I went to a concept and I like this lived, and.
Speaker 3: I was walking through the crowd to get to.
Speaker 4: My safe something miraculous. Somebody who I didn't know looked at me as a liten I love you, and they reached out and I reached back and we hurt and it felt sold in how good.
Speaker 3: And then it was ten people, and then there was one hundred people, and it was a thousand people, and then it was ten.
Speaker 4: Thousand people showering me a low and support and reaching out and allowing me to reach back out and embracing me.
Speaker 3: And yet was fucking life saving me.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I thought Lizzo in my brain looked so different and that looks like someone else. Oh really, yeah, I feel like I've seen her live, but that just looks like a different person.
Speaker 1: Oh, I guess you know, she'sn't performed for a while, be like a different look of different hair. She also has lost a lot of weight, which she Yeah, the other source of contention because she's documented a bit of it online. Oh obviously, because you know, there's not many people with different bodies in the spotlight, so anytime anyone who doesn't fit that mold changes their body becomes a big story.
Speaker 2: You wrote a really good article about that, Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Unfortunately it keeps coming up time and time again, so we could write that over and over again. But yeah, it was interesting because in that moment on stage and she's playing to this huge room full of people, but when you listen to what she's saying, it sounds like such an intimate conversation because she's talking about the fact that she didn't know if she could live anymore, where she was going through this.
Speaker 2: Very sad but once again the cancelation playbook, she's hitting those key points. You've got to disappear, then you've got to come back, and you've got to talk about your mental health, and you know how dire things got, and of course it would, but it's part of the playbook, of course.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, exactly, And I'm sure. I mean, I'm hoping that she had some crisis prs who can give some questional advice. I don't know how much we should have them on them on the playbook.
Speaker 2: There's some real dodgy ones out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're like, oh, here, Armi Hammer, go and do a tall interview, and you're like, no, that man should not be mere a microphone. Not that I'm looping Armie Hammer and Lozzo into the same bucket, but yeah, some of them need to go away for longer. Anymost no threatening to Yeah, it is interesting because I think the vitual towards her was maybe a bit more intense than some other celebrities, just because it's weird to think. As much as people loved her, a lot of people did hate her because of her body size and because she was outspoken, and.
Speaker 2: Because I literally would have thought that she's one of the most universally loved.
Speaker 1: So I think too, But I didn't realize and that intense hatreded And I think maybe because we live in a bubble with saying people who see a pop star come out with this music and we just all fantastic music.
Speaker 2: She seems fantastic.
Speaker 1: She's a great performer, but even before that, she could never get on stage that people being like I love her music, but like, is she promoting an unhealthy lifestyle?
Speaker 2: Is she this healthy lifestyle? I know? Even that woman could literally outlive any show.
Speaker 1: For three hours, dancing, singing, and playing the flute, like through a forty minute netball game, her lung capacity would be out.
Speaker 2: Of unhealthy lifestyle my eym, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: But again, so there's always people out there, like a black woman who's on stage and who's being very apologetic, and these are things that she said before that there's this undercurrent of people who just didn't like her because of.
Speaker 2: That, and now because she's a woman and someone will always have to have an opinion about everything or no one can ever do anything right. If she has lost weight, then all of those same people that said you're unhealthy will now be like, that's a shame that you lost weight. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like you're not servicing this group of fans and you've let people down.
Speaker 2: And again, I'm still unhealthy. You still can't run around to stage for three hour? Oh can you? Exactly?
Speaker 1: And this is what I always come back to, this idea of like when we start policing and women's bodies in general, but like famous women's bodies because they're the ones we see the most. Is that if we had an industry that had all different types of bodies, it wouldn't be this big talking point every time someone changes it because exactly she'd be like to fluctuate without it being like, yes, so she has been like, you know, hate those tabloid headlongso like she's been showing off her body, but she has been like documenting her changing body on social But I feel like that hasn't she always showed off her body like she's always been, you know, like a bit of naked dancer. Oh yes, yes, in that capacity, yes, But now on her socials she's actually been saying, like some things I've been doing, my body looks smaller here, I've done this. I'm proud, like how my body looks here, Like she has been documenting it, so it's not like a secret thing. But I feel like that hasn't made headlines like it would have in the past, because you know, people are still having this conversation about is she canceled and when she gave this speech to this concept, and obviously so many people filmed it because the audience was full of fans and it went viral. Then the headlines became Lizo wanted to end her life, and so we're only getting these like little nuggets of information from a woman whose life is so public that I'm sure there's a lot of layers to it.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, I'm still very much so team Lizzo as I've always been. So I'll be there watching a movie and I'll go to a sex club with her. Yeah, so would I look, I've that a bit. This is like a wildlife, really a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for listening to this spill today, and thank you Kelly for joining us once again for the incest chat anytime.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, not anytime only I don't have to talk to you about interests ever again.
Speaker 1: We'll see And also make sure you tune into the Spill tomorrow because I have a special weekend watch that I cannot hang on too. And we're actually gonna have a cameo from a very famous name that you'll be excited about coming in for that. So a little teaser for tomorrow's episode. So The Spill is produced by ned Green, with sound production by Scott Stronik, and we'll see you here back in.
Speaker 2: Your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow. Bye Bye Lan.