Speaker 1: It's one of the first things I remember when I first came into Like I did two days in the Matilda's camp, just cover for the doctor at the time. I walked into the meal room and I was like, mind blown by the buffet. Like you said to people sort of get starstruck by the players. I was starstruck by the buffet. So like, we'll strap them for training, but then when we know the media is going to be there, we'll make them wear long pants, for instance, or we'll take the strapping off for me. Like, you absolutely cannot give anything away that will compromise the health or welfare of the player by the opposition knowing something about that player.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Sees the Yay Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing.
Speaker 3: We work, then we.
Speaker 2: Rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives.
Speaker 3: They adore, the.
Speaker 2: Good, bad and ugly, The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your yay. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned fun sentrepreneur who swapped the suits and heels to co found Matcha Maiden and matcha Milk Bar.
Speaker 3: Cza is a series of.
Speaker 2: Conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way.
Speaker 3: Hello, lovely neighborhood.
Speaker 2: I hope you're having a wonderful week and of course us seizing your yea. I believe most of us listening probably had a long weekend of some form over the weekend, so I hope you all enjoyed the wonderful time off and made some time to playta. We are so lucky to have doctor Brandy Cole back on the show this week after her incredible episode last week. So this is the follow one from that, or Part two or chapter two, or whatever you want to call it. If you have listened to that, you will know that it absolutely got out of control. We were having so much fun, Andrew were just fangirling her so hard, but also getting so deep into her incredible pathway from all the way back to childhood, as we usually do. But there's been so much that doctor Brandy has done in so many different areas before we even got up to the chapter that she's in currently, which many of you will know her from. Of course, most of you will know whether or not you've listened to the episode that doctor Brandy is the team doctor for the Matildas, which in itself is so fascinating and has so many facets, particularly with the recently passed Fever World Cup, so of course we wanted to get into Tilly's fever and everything behind the scenes. But doctor Brandy has so many achievements before that, including being an elite athlete herself. She's done a million degrees, she has her own practice, so Angre and I got really distracted going through all of those chapters and didn't actually make it to the Tilli's chapter until fifty five minutes in or something like that. But we had so much fun, and it seems doctor Brandy enjoyed herself as well, which we're very grateful for. So she agreed to jump back on for a part two, and this segment of the interview will focus on the behind the scenes of pretty much being the glue that holds the matildas together. So another wonderfully enjoyable, completely fascinating episode. We learned so much like so many interesting things about what life was like not only in the FEF World Cup but in the Olympic village. And also just how intense the job of the support staff is. And I'm sure you guys will hear. We're just as obsessed with doctor Brandy as we were last time. I hope you all enjoy and love her as much as we have. Maybe we'll get her back for part three. She's got a lot coming up, so I hope you guys enjoy this one as much as we did.
Speaker 3: Doctor Brandy, Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Feels like I never left.
Speaker 2: You can't get rid of us now. We are so excited to have you back. Last episode was.
Speaker 3: So much fun.
Speaker 2: We spoke for longer than we do in most episodes, but it felt like ten minutes, and I feel like we barely scratch the surface of your incredible life. So we are so grateful that you agreed to jump back on to keep going and just chatting shit with us.
Speaker 1: Ninety minutes episode and about three hours of talking condensed into it.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I think we all speak very quickly as well.
Speaker 1: Usually when I'm talking to people like cut in because I know what you're gonna say you're being too slowry up, I'll answer, just not a good habit to have. I'm trying to work on it. I actually had a friend text me after she listened to the episode and said, I'd love to know how many words do you say permanent? So maybe I'll have to record it for or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like a lot of people listen to podcasts on one and a half speed just because they find slow talkers, whereas if they did that with our episode, they wouldn't understand anything that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: I'm guilty of listening at one point five speed, and yeah, I didn't need to for my own episode, so that's good.
Speaker 2: Before we get into part two, exploring the wonderful world of Doctor Brandy, it's so interesting to me that you don't usually listen back to your chats, and you did for this one.
Speaker 3: What did you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I usually can't stand what my voice sounds like or what I say, but I actually wanted to know what I said because I had so much fun. I didn't really know what I knew what we talked about, but I was like, I don't actually know what I said. I better listen back because I feel like this is one that people are going to start talking to me about or and quite rightly, like I got messaged as my friends were listening to it. I was just like getting updates. Like everyone was just outraged that I read the dictionary, like and I'm like, you don't tell people that. It's like I got about that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's like most people knew most things. But that's one thing that just I probably hadn't told anyone because it maybe just don't go around dropping that into conversation every so often. But when I did listen back, I listened back. I got into bed, and I usually listened to a podcast or something before I go to sleep, just to wind down because I work quite late into the night and I can't go straight from doing the work letters to sleeping. And my husband had to get up and put ear plugs in because I was giggling. I didn't realize I was doing it because I had my noise canceling earphones on. And so you said you were doing those like deep breathing that would get quicker and quicker, and then you would just giggle and then you'll.
Speaker 3: Get so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I was laughing at your jokes.
Speaker 2: Glad you found it funny the second time around as well, because you never know, like it might not land the second time when you've got perspective.
Speaker 1: And that was one of the things my sister texts me about. She said, I've heard you being called a lot of things, but hilarious is not one of them.
Speaker 3: We've unlocked a new side of you.
Speaker 1: I thought it was always there, but apparently not.
Speaker 3: I love that so many people listened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was good. And another thing one of my girlfriends, actually Victoria, who was a physio with me in it's actually ex Matilda, and I worked with her at the junior Matilda's. She was disappointed that she didn't get mentioned, and also she is quite a big part of my life when I still catch up with the frequently. She's from Adelaide, so whenever I'm in Adelaide, I head down there. But she also wanted to make a point of when you asked me about my skincare routine, she said it's clearly because of her, because when we used to travel away for the juniors, she'd take me into at the airport in the international airport before we go ay. She takes me into like the cosmetic secon and like I just would not. I don't, I don't know, And she'd show me all the face creams and she's like, this one's worth five hundred dollars, you should put this on, and like all the testers. So every time, it's why she'd get me, like the best testers to put on my face to help me with the you know, the dehydration of air travel.
Speaker 3: So that's a good friend.
Speaker 1: Anyone's to credit for anything to do with my skin, it's definitely her. So there you go, Vick.
Speaker 3: Oh, well she's got a shout out.
Speaker 4: It's got sounds like Vick now has got a whole segment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doctor Brandy's skin with Victoria. But it's actually so nice because we often, like we don't often I don't think we've ever done a two parter straight after and got to actually hear from our guest what the feedback is at their end, because of course, like we get lovely messages and we get like, you know, Tilly's fans from everywhere who sort of didn't know about everything in your life up until the Tillies chapter. But it's so nice to hear as well from your end that you had friends who didn't know things about you that came out like that's just so lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also had a good friends and work colleague write me a text to apologize that he'd six months ago half jokingly, half seriously asked me if he could get World Cup tickets. He said, I felt the second I asked that, I felt really bad, and now I want to formally apologize. After listening to the podcast, I said, no, that's fine, I get And the ironic thing is I actually tried to give him a ticket to one of the Sydney games because I knew he was a big fan. I had a spare ticket, but he was already going or he couldn't make it, so I was like, no, that's fine, Like that's not what I was talking about.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, it's not you.
Speaker 1: It's good to know who wants tickets. If I get given tickets, I can give it to them. It's more about access to the girls and things from them that it's hard. Yeah. I thought that was lovely and not necessary and not needed apology.
Speaker 4: But I reckon everyone that's ever asking for anything feels like it was a direct person or.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to not even shame the exact people I'm talking about Vitoria.
Speaker 3: We love Victoria. Oh well, we are so lucky to have you back.
Speaker 2: Because for anyone who hasn't caught up on the first episode, this is definitely sequential. So go back and listen to our most recent episode because that follows Doctor Brand's entire path yay, pretty much from school all the way through UNI and lots of twist and turns and amazing, amazing chapters that were so incredible and diverse that we didn't even.
Speaker 3: Really get to the Tilli's until the end of the episode.
Speaker 2: So this is the Tilli's time for us to dive into what it's been like as the Matilda's team. Doctor and we had some We've got lots of questions submitted here for you, and I'm sure we also have plenty of our own to throwing, so and do you want to kick off?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: Were My My first thing actually was that we don't even know what a day to day for you whatever even look like. I think I don't know if you've ever had to talk about it anywhere in the past, but were you both like it? Like, how do they set you're just a human like or you're a human being that each like does things they were like, what does it even like, we couldn't even just start to I think what the girls is probably a bit easier to forget what they do from a go to training, Like they eat together as a group and there's a lot of videos around that. You see it on all their socials and then the rest of the team. We're like like, what do they do? Like where do you go?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, we don't eat or sleep or do anything, you.
Speaker 1: Know, stop.
Speaker 4: All the funding goes to the place.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not far from it, but no, just kidding.
Speaker 3: Brandy sets up a tent nearby and.
Speaker 4: She came, she wraps and then she yeah.
Speaker 2: She eats like ready to eat, like two minute noodles and no.
Speaker 1: No, that's definitely not what I Yeah, so what's a day in the life for you? So, yeah, good question. So I try and get up at six am because I'm sort of starting my work day by seven. So for meals, we have what we call windows, So there's a breakfast window, a lunch window, and then a dinner window. Usually dinners are fixed, so you have to be there at seven pm, for instance, But we tried to make it a little bit more relaxed in the world cup because being in camp for ten weeks you sort of feel a little bit institutionalized anyway, So it was a little bit There was certain days that you had to be there on time and in other days that it was also a window. So what I mean by window is breakfast is available from seven point thirty until nine. And so we travel with our own chef, Vinnie, one of my closest friends, one of the best humans in the world, so he and then at the major tournaments we have a second chef with us, so we still wherever we're staying, they like the hotel staff are doing majority of the cooking, but they're overseeing the menu well in advance with our dietitian and then they're managing the actual food and like, honestly, I live my best food life in camp like that is one of the highlights of my job. I also eat for the whole of Australia in Camp. I have got very strict rules at the buffet, like, oh, it's a buffet, like to the point where I cannot ever go to a buffet in the rest of the world ever, because it just does not lift up to the standard of the Matilda's buffet. It's one of the first things I remember when I first came into like I did two days. This is years ago in the Matilda's camp, just cover for the doctor at the time, and I was I walked into the meal room and I was like mind blown by the buffet, like it was by far the biggest thing that's stuck it. Like you said to people sort of get starstruck by the players. I was star struck by the buffet most amazing. I've got some priorities, honestly, food. I told you, I get angry, like it's a very real thing. So I'll put up on my social some of the videos and things I took of the buffet because it's just phenomenal. So I have some rules, but I've self imposed, so I mainly allowed one plate permeal. So you should see how the plates pretty big. You should see how heats that they are. But then I can go back for fruit and yogat. That's my kind of dessert because there's a whole treats thing. I am not allowed treats in camp because it's just like too amazing, to the point where when it was my birthday, so we do birthday cake for each person's birthday who it is and we seen to them. And so when I started this at the Asian Cup January twenty twenty two, and there was like eight birthdays in the space of a month, and I was like, oh, maybe I'll have to make my allowance and I'm allowed birthday cake for the next camp because I just missed out on all the birthday cakes. But it was to the point where when it was my birthday at the very beginning of the World Cup, Vinny actually thought I didn't like cake because I don't eat the dessert, so he gave me a cheese plate for my birthday crate. She was awesome. I mean, I love cheese. I have cheese and nuts on every meal, like I probably ate. I don't know, like one hundred dollars of macadamias a day in the for the whole World Cup, I reckon, like just yeah.
Speaker 2: Like it's just so that's where the Tilly's budget goes. Your Macadamie is kind of acent.
Speaker 1: You come home and you try and replicate this food and you have no money to spend on any rest of your life because you're just throwing produced because it's just amazing.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So I got your kids living on like in lcm's and lists snacks.
Speaker 1: No, my kids ate the lai eate. That's why we have no money. So breakfast, so I have to be ready, like I try and be at breakfast at the beginning of the window and just be there. So a lot of the time my job is incidental, like the girls will just be passing and go, oh, you got this? Can I talk to about this? So I just kind of be around hanging out and that's sort of easier to catch up first thing with the girls se if there's anything that they need, So I just kind of hang out in the Tillies Cafe or morning until the end of the breakfast window. Then we've got We've made it quite routine. In terms of our training sessions have been fairly standard. So it's the eleven am training session, which means they have a meeting anywhere between ten and ten thirty in the morning, depending on how long the travel is to training, and so whatever their meeting time is, we have an our window prior to that meeting, so it might be from nine thirty to ten thirty, for instance, where they can come to the medical room for strapping, so they either come in and struct themselves or all the physios are there. I'm not always there for that whole hour because i might be doing something with one of the players, for instance, but I'll wander in and out, and I'm always obviously on I'm on call twenty four seven anyway. Then we travel to training. In the World Cut, the training venues were quite close, which is nice, but travel to training is the time that the medical team catch up on our sleep. So we like to sleep on the bus. Well that's will we listen to our podcasts or music, So we didn't get much of that in the World Cup because the venues were so close. And then training will go for a couple hours, so it's very pre planned and we know exactly what's happening at every minute of the entire training session. They'll do a prehab which is ten minutes where they're doing like their activation work. Then they'll do the warm up with a sports scientist. Then they'll do all the different training drills. Then they'll do their recovery afterwards, so they've got their nutrition, their shakes, everything there. There's a big table set up. They do ice bars at the field. If we can't get them there, then we take them home to do the ice bars at the hotel, but it's better if it's right at the field straight afterwards, then they shower, change, we get back on the bus. We go back for lunch, so then it's a lunch window. So if someone's been injured at training, for instance, we might grab them before the lunch or otherwise it's just when it suits. The girls go straight to lunch because their fields. We usually sort of do a bit of a tidy up or whatever we need to do and then head to lunch. I don't know. We shower, I met tighty up of the medical management, none of ourselves, and then the afternoon so the heavy Jackie will send out a message while we're on the bus traveling back. Usually that says who wants a massage, who wants treatment, and then she'll do this like matrix of times for who's booked in for what, which then usually goes all afternoon. Sometimes the afternoon they might have gym, so on match day minus two and match day minus four they'll have a gym session in the afternoon. Sometimes that's back to back at the field if the gym's at the field. Sometimes it's after lunch, so when we're in camp, we don't know the date or the date. We just refer to everything as coming up to the next match, so we just say, oh, it's match day one's five, it's match the minus four, and it becomes matched on minus one match day and then match day plus one match days plus two. So in the World Cup you kind of have the pluses and then they turn into the minuses again, so you might have a plus three and then a minus three. But in the Olympics it's literally like game two days and game today, So our match day plus one is our match day minus two on the same day. So it's kind of like it's just chockers because you've got to do like the recovery plus the prep or the same day. And so then sometimes like if we're lucky, we were lucky enough to have three physios at the World Cup, so the tree would finish at sort of more reasonable time, so we could often then have all our meetings pre dinner or around dinner, which is ideal because then we get a little bit of time to sort of plan after dinner. But if there's only two treating physios, we often they treat quite late and then we have to have a meeting. So every evening the whole medical team get together for a meeting, so that time is determined by the last player being treated, So then there'll be a group message that goes out Medical meeting at say eight pm, and so then we discuss every player from top to bottom in alphabetical order. So we always start with Mecca. It's just a running joke that we'll all be chatting. We'll all be chatting away and then someone just be like, so maccap and then that means like, hurry up and start the meeting.
Speaker 3: Get to work.
Speaker 1: She's McKenzie Arnold obviously, So we talk about every player in terms of any injuries, their management, where they're at, from sports science, from physiotherapy, from medical point of view, and then after that the head sports scientist, the head physio and myself. We then go and meet with the coaches when they're ready, and then we go through the whole list to get with the coaches. Then the oll plan what they think is the session for the next day, so they'll go through with us the session. From the sports science point of view, they've got to look at if there's anyone that needs modified loading in terms of volume of running or kicking volume or anything like that. Then from an injury point of view, we might say, okay, so this player has a bit of a quad strain, so we don't want them to do any long kicks on their right leg, for instance. So sometimes that won't that'll be easy. Sometimes if they're the person who normally, like says, if it's Steph for instance, who normally does the kicking in for the set pieces, then we have to get someone to take a spot. So it's more of a sort of a manager how we got to manage training. Sometimes often we'll manage around what the coaches want to do. Sometimes they'll say, well, is there a drill that you want to sort of swap in because that's going to be better for these players anyway. So it's a big meeting about that, and then we leave and the sports scientist stays there to sort of finalize the training session, and then sometimes we then have to meet again afterwards with him if things have changed. And then in the morning we get sent that plan with who's in, so like it's like a PDA document and it's like every drill, the timing of the drill, the players like who's in where that we check over to make sure. Sometimes we have to check the next morning, so we might say, like that's a two week confirmed, so this person is going to be in for these three drills and then come out. But we've got to confirm that with in the morning, so then we'll get those the physios will check in with those players first thing before breakfast, and then just send the messages to the coaches. Yep, this person is in these drills. I was expected all sorry, this person's pulled up. We were a bit more worried about then we want to pull them out of this session. So it's just an ongoing itery process that is day after day after day. So yeah, so our day, my day might end like ten thirty eleven PM officially, I mean if I'm in bed before midnight, it's amazing. Yeah, and you've worked all day, so I mean, I guess in the World Cup, I was averaging midnight to one am to go to bed and get up at six. But after the games, so that penalty shootout game that started at five pm, so that was it was lucky. It was an early game. I think I finished work at one am and then we were moving at seven am, like we had to get the guys and everything on the freight to fly, because after every game in the World Cup, we flew the next day, the next month.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But an eight o'clock game, we might I might finish at like three am by the time we've sort of scot all the kit back because we don't like the staff for the people, like we're the porters as well, like we're organizing. There was one time where like it was a bit different in the World Cup because a lot of it was we were moving back and forward for every game, and it was so we normally get like the gear now I'm talking kit like, we'd have one hundred and eighty kit backs like to fly with. So I guess start if we break it down, there's twenty three girls in camp in the World Cup. Obviously the World Cup is a little bit different atur home World Cup. It was above and beyond. So this is not the norm when I'm talking about the World Cup. This is the bells and whistles version. It's not oh my god. We normally have about the same number of staff, so about twenty two. So usually I'm looking after about fifty five people as the doctor. I think in the World Cup, we had like thirty staff at what point. So we had the first like the round game. So the first three games it was what we call a base camp model, so we were based in Brisbane, so we were staying in Brisbane for the two weeks or whatever it was for those three games. But then we were flying in and out of the games. So we had a friendly in Melbourne, and then the day after that friendly in Melbourne, which I think was like the fourteenth of July, Friday the fourteenth, maybe that Saturday, the fifteenth, we flew to Brisbane and went into our base camp for the World Cup, so officially the World Cup started. Then we'd already been in camp for four or five weeks prior to that day and then when we got to Brisbane, so that was we got to Britan on the Saturday. Our first game was in Sydney on the Thursday, so then on the Wednesday we flew back to Sydney, so we actually like went Melbourne, Brisbane Sydney between two games. And so when you're moving everything, like you're moving the entire of your apparatus, like the gym, you know, the buffet, the everything.
Speaker 3: So then all the sports gear.
Speaker 1: That's why we have two chefs, because one has to go ahead and set it up. Like actually, actually, so when we traveled for the first three games, the Sydney game, the Melbourne game, the Brisbane the Brisban's in between. So we did Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne. We only had to travel with like an overnight bag because we traveled in the night before the game, we played the game, and then d after the game we traveled back, so we still had a hotel room in Brisbane. So it was very you know, upper class. I had two hotel rooms simultaneously, one in Sydney and we stopping both of them. I fancy, yeah, fancy, that's where the budget goes. I guess. Yeah. So the Sydney game, the first Sydney game, so we trained in Brisbane in the morning and then we flew to Sydney and then we had to go straight from the airport to do a familiarization session that's called that was part of a FIFA requirement because we were supposed to do. The FIFA requirements were that you train the day before the match at a specific venue for FIFA that all the media would be at. But wh you wanted to train in the morning and then travel because it's much better for the girls to train than travel, rather than traveling and their training, so we negotiated that we would go to the pitch and do a familiarization, so we would just walk around the pitch and then the media would be there. So we went straight from the airport to home Bush which is in western Sydney for those who aren't from Sydney, and then our hotel was in Double Bay, which is in eastern Sydney, so we kind of went and did this big thing and then the press conference was at Homebush, and then that happened to be the day that Sam got injured, so then from there I then had arranged to get an MRI for her, so then I took her to get the MRI before we got back to the hotel. So that's like a big day, and that's the day before the match. Yeah, so then match day, I mean, it's my favorite day for so many reasons obvious because we're playing a game, but it's pretty relaxed in the morning. So match day is probably the one day that I have a bit of a time that I might have some spare time to myself because the girls are pretty self sufficient. The day of the match, We've done everything that it like. I mean, obviously I'm on call. They might need something if something comes up, if one of them wakes up sick, something like that, but they like to sort of do their own thing in the morning. So often I'll actually get out and go to a cafe with Jackie and I they had physio. We like to sort of go to a cafe in the area that we're in just to kind of see the locally othere. You literally never see anything other than the hotel and the field.
Speaker 3: Get out of the institution for a moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And then there's like a big build up to the game. So we have what we call an advanced crew, so they go ahead. So they might go like four or five hours earlier than us to set up everything. So they set up the Chaine room. I mean, they just hang out there. I guess they've got plenty of time, but they want to be late, so they Yeah, we're very lucky to they've sort of set everything up. So by the time that we come in the stuff and as a travel with the girls, which are basically the coaches and the physios and myself because we're still sort of available for treatment all day. Then we kind of walk in and everything's done and we just walk in and we arrive ninety minutes before kick off and then we have like a very set routine and it's like to the minute. So FIFA are very strict with everything. It's I always used to find these things funny when I first started working in the sport, like it might be like seven oh three is the start of the warm up and like just very specific. But now it's just normal to me. It's just that's just football. Like a lot of our games were eight pm at the World Cup, so I think that on average, So after the game, we'd sort of go through make sure that there was no injuries to the players or sort of a sort out if we need to do anything that evening. Like there's not a lot of things that you have to do that evening. Most of it can be done the next day. But often I'll organize scans and things at the back end of the day for the next day so it's all prepared, and then when we get back we have a very I mean, game day has about four hundred meals because there's the breakfast, lunch, and dinner window but then we have a pre match meal. So often we'll do lunch and then pre match meal, which is three or four I should know this. I think it's four hours before kickoff is when the girls have their last meal, so sometimes that kind of merges into lunch. If it's like the five o'clock game is a bit tricky. With the eight o'clock game, it was quite easy because it was just more basically like a lunch and then an afternoon tea, and their pre match meal is pretty much like a breakfast and an afternoon tea put in together, so that's what things are served at that particular meal. So a lot of them will have like cereals, there's a live spaghetti bleonnaise station, so they that's what the girls eat. So basically they have live pasta station every dinner and they'll line up and they'll get their pasta cooked for them, like to all I kind of thing. So that's why we need some chefs as well.
Speaker 2: That was one of my questions was like what do you eat? And I'm too nervous before like local games that I play with literally Andrew Nick in the backyard, I'm like, oh, I can't eat, like I've got a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spaghetti bolonnaise is a big like Tillyes thing, so they all are, like I think majority of the girls have. That's the meal they have the night before the game. There's always spaghetti billonnaise. You'd think it would be hard to get variety of meals for ten weeks, but like, honestly, it's just the best variety.
Speaker 2: The common theme of the highlight of this role is the food.
Speaker 1: You tell me actually in my voice when I talk about the food.
Speaker 2: And then the chefs move all the gear ahead of time before the girls.
Speaker 4: Mainly the buffet, and then there's and then there's why.
Speaker 1: So she we had a barista at the World Cup. Yeah, so she would literally know everyone's order, so when you walked in the door, she'd have ready by the time you got to the counter, like the coffee counter. That is a dreary Alexia her name is. She was wonderful. Yeah, I mean I don't drink coffee, but she had my tea just ready to go. One time she gave me old Gray instead of English breakfast. I nearly killed her for that, but that.
Speaker 3: Was, oh my god, I disappointing. You can't get on these days. I mean.
Speaker 1: I'd actually done the same thing myself. It was in it was in Sydney when we stayed at the Socatel and the Earl Gray and the English Breakfast with the same color, Like who makes the same color for both tea types?
Speaker 3: I'm going to write a letter about that.
Speaker 2: There's a rule that English Breakfast is red, yeah, and Earl Gray is gray or like blue or purple.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and I think they were both black. So it was just very confusing. Yeah, So after the eight o'clock games, I usually finish up about three am, the time I've seen all the girls because I'm the last one to go to bed because I have to make until everyone's gone to bed, and some of the girls it's very hard to sort of have the hype of a game and then just go to bed and go to sleep. But then we were always so the next day we were always moving, so we had to pack up everything to move. So after those three initial rounds, so after our Canada game when we won, and we went to the quarter final, which was against Denmark back in Sydney, so our Canada game was Melbourne, and so then we flew from Melbourne back to Brisbane and then I think Denmark was in Sydney, which was the quarterfinal, sorry, the round of sixteen, round of sixteen. The quarterfinal was against France, which is the penalty shoot at once. So yeah, the round of sixteen. So we went from Melbourne to Brisbane and said a few days and trained in Brisbane and then we had to move to Sydney for the Round of sixteen game. But that was we had to pack up the whole of the base camp for that move. So from that point on, so from the round of sixteen to the quarter final, the semifinal, in the final, it changed and it wasn't a base camp model. It was you move and follow your game. So we literally the whole entourage had to go Sydney, Brisbane, Sydney Brisbane time. So I think I did like seventeen flights in the World Cup. I think I Canada. And so one of the games where we were coming from Sydney back to Brisbane, all our kit usually goes on freight, which is a truck and it goes like a day ahead, So we leave from training the day before and sort of the truck drives wherever we're going and then it gets there when we get there. But because it was such short turnaround, it had to go by air freight. And so when we arrived back in Brisbane, yeah, before the quarter final games. So before the France game, we arrived back and I said, oh, the freight's not here yet. It actually the plane that was meant to come on. I don't know how that engineering problems or something. So they had to fly all our gear in seven different ways and then they had to so then they got a truck. And then when the truck arrives, like the truck people don't bring it into the hotel for us, like that's our job as the staff. So I think the freight arrived at like hop us twelve after midnight. The staff were so we've been up to like three for that game. So the Denmark game that was a Sydney game, so I would have finished at three am, flown up at seven am in the walk up. We didn't have training that day, but I think once the girl started getting the concussion, I had to do a training session every day to get them on their protocol. So I would have been at training that day with one of them. So then at twelve thirty pm or am the next night, we all had to go down to the lobby and get all these bags off. It's one of my favorite jobs. Actually, it's kind of like a workout. So I get in the truck, usually with the with the I usually get in the truck with the courier. People like shove the bags down and like, I'm like, hurry up, guys.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't matter. But you've got incidental wasts going on.
Speaker 1: But then we're at commercial hotels, right, So we just got the normal lifts that you have in a normal hotel and we have to take everything up.
Speaker 5: So our kit room was on the twelfth floor at Ridges, for instance, So all of these bags have to go into the lifts and then up to the twelve floor.
Speaker 1: But the girls this particular night, yeah, we were tenth, eleventh and twelfth four the girls were. And this is also their actual luggage as well, because we had moved completely and we'd move back, so the girls were all asleep and so we had to like move it quietly to their doors. So you know, the girls travel with at least two maybe three suitcases each, So we're talking like sixty six guys just for the girls, and then you know the staff bags and then all of like it's like a full on removalless truck that you're loading and unloading every time we move around.
Speaker 3: The logistics of this is loads of.
Speaker 4: The forget that needs to happen in the back end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, We've got it down pat now. But it was like and everyone's helping, like them, you know, the photographers and the videographer, all the medical teams, sometimes some of the coaches. Usually the goalkeeper coach is an absolute legend. He's just always there. Our sister video aln Shana, she's just always there as well. And I said to Naaria vieographer, said, you should not be helping, you should be videoing this, Like we need this is we need content, no matter about behind the scenes the girls, Like where's the behind the scenes with the stuff?
Speaker 2: We found that so interesting, Like that's why we were like we have so many questions, like there's the documentary. You can find out so much about behind the scenes of the girls' lives and what they eat and how they sleep, and like it's so interesting to see that there's a whole team of like third twenty two to thirty people who were moving at the same time with all the stuff supporting the girls, and even the fact that for you, when you're in camp mode, like your breaks, which are meal breaks, are actually when the girls are going to come and consult with you, so that's your downtime is actually a work session.
Speaker 3: So there's just no downtime. It's like you're just.
Speaker 1: There's no downtime. But it's still a less hectic life than my normal life outside of camp. So I'm always quoted to say in my real life blah blah blah, like that's not the real life. But honestly, like I just love it because I only have those people to look after and they're right in front of me, compared to when I'm at home and I'm trying to consult in my private clinic, I'm looking after my kids, I'm doing all this, and I'm still looking after the tillies girls from Europe in a totally different time zone. So it's like it's so much harder when I want to help them and I'm like, I need your knee in front of me to be able to help you. It's like I can do so much by zoom. But so I actually, yeah, it doesn't feel like there's not downtime to me. It's like it's great there. You know, it's just one big family just hanging.
Speaker 3: Out and eating at the buffet.
Speaker 1: In the meal rooms, there's like staff tables, player tables. When it was COVID, we had to sit exactly in the same place at the time with the same people. It was like there was very very strict rules. But generally it's just sit their round tables, sit wherever you want. It's a running joke that you try and get the call table. I don't know who the call table is, but I'm going to claim that it's always a family.
Speaker 2: It's where the past the station is, that's where the call table is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then the thing about the fixed meal time, So I find that really hard because the etiquette is that you turn up so say it's seven pm. Everyone has to be eaten by seven pm. And that's one of the things like if there's a time called, if you're ten seconds late, you're late and the door shut you not in. So being on time is very important to our head coach. And so when there's things that you have to be on time for. So then because it might be like a staff meeting, if the manager needs to speak to the whole sort of group, and then it's always the girls will eat first and then the staff elide after that, and I just find it incredibly hard to sit there in amongst the food for half an hour until I'm all had to eat, Like that is definitely the hardest half hour of my life.
Speaker 2: So the highs and the lows are all food related, basically.
Speaker 4: I was just going to say, it's still about it.
Speaker 2: But one thing I'd love to know, given how structured the camp model is time wise, and that you're all kind of operating as this well olled machine for the ultimate performance of the girls. One thing I've read a lot about and that we've been thinking about so much is unfortunately, for women, we have to deal with a cycle like it's a biological fact of life that if you're not an elite athlete, probably doesn't actually affect your life that much. But if you are, like the timing of that, and then the fact that the girls end up sinking, but then that you're also managing their hormone levels and energy levels and fatigue and symptoms and stuff while you're all living together and also trying to be you know, perform as elite athletes at the same time, how do you manage cycles and like how quickly do they sink when they get back together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know whether you saw an article. I was actually interviewed right at the very beginning of the World Cup by the Sydney Morning Herald, I think it was, And I did this entire interview based on like menstrual health, and it was all about like relative energy deficiency and endometriosis and all of the things that you just asked about. And then right at the end, I said, oh, yeah, it's interesting because there's no scientific evidence behind like the sinking of the men's recycle, but it's definitely a thing that I noticed in camp. And then the entire article they wrote was about the girls sinking their cycles and like nothing else about it. I'm like, oh my god. Anyway, it's like, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool guys, thanks thanks for the headline. But I think even for a non athlete, learning about planning your life activity levels around your cycle is like one of the most important steps in understanding your health that you can make, because I used to just expect my body to perform the same all four weeks at different hormone levels and never understand, like, don't plan your biggest pitch that you've got in your lowest energy, crampy, hormonal time. It's just if you have the choice, like you don't do that. But obviously the World Cup doesn't move if the girls have their period, So how do you guys work their training and injuries? Like does that change around cycles?
Speaker 1: So, I mean there's a little bit of low level evidence about injury in the cycle. I'm sure we'll get more, you know, as we get more data in the future, we'll sort of look into that more. But at this point in time, we do monitor their cycles. So they have a daily check in when they're in camp. It's like a wellness check in. And one of the questions on that is like, are you on your mental cycle? And so we can kind of so I can monitor that and the girls. It's good for the girls to monitor their own cycles as well. They get very used to what the impact of their own cycle is. So some girls will feel at their worst in a few days prior to having their period, and then some girls will feel worse when they've got their period. So it's quite varied per individual, but they obviously get to know and like, these girls are professional athletes that are training and playing day and day out the whole year, so they are used to the fact that they have to train and perform at any one point in their cycle for the whole year at all times. We've got probably a very low rate of contraceptive use across the Matudas for you know, no particular reason, but I think it's like ten to twelve percent of the girls, whereas the average in athletes are like thirty to forty percent. And the reason that I know that they do get in sync obviously other than the fact that we monitor it, but it's not like I've got this big spreadsheet going, oh, look at this is because one of them. One of them will come and ask me for some n aprogesic, which they find is good for their pre menstal symptoms. And then the next minute I've got half the team asking me for n aprogeesic. I'm like, oh, okay, well that's so cool. So that's that's more how I know. It's like when they need more sort of medical assistance in terms of symptom management. And yeah, it was interesting in the World Cup because it was such a long camp. We had like two or three cycles within that time frame. I was like, what again, it's been four weeks, okay, So I'm sure when I put in my medic like I put in an order, usually I put in i've got a medical kit, which is basically like I take a little mini hospital in a big suitcase. So normally I would make sure it's stopped before I go, and then I'll just restock at the end of the window. But I had to restock at like two or three times through the World Cup because it was such a long thing. I'm sure that someone fa thinks that I'm like having a you know, black market of drug selling on the side because I have to order so many anti inflammatories. But it really like if you got twenty three girls and two to three menstrual cycles each, like that's you know, that's a lot of pain. That's that's a lot of information. So that's one thing that's very different compared to the to the men's side, and in terms of the anti inflammatories, like they all have their kind of individual medication that they find work. So I always ask any any patient, I always ask what works for you? Because it's not me to say to someone what's going to help them. I can give them advice, so I stock. I know exactly what the antifometry of choice for every of the players is and for different things. Sometimes they might be used to using one type and I'll give them I'll say, well, look that's probably good for this, but for this in this case, you might want to try this for this reason. And late they trust me, so they'll always sort of go with my advice. But I try not to change too much because I'm in their world, so I'm just there to support them to perform the best they can.
Speaker 4: Not to take topic, but kind of on the topic of talking about metro cycles and injuries, I said, there's lot little evidence, but it seemed like we had actually a question from Instagram talking about the injury and I'm not actually sure about the injury rape truly, but obviously everyone was very well where every time someone got injured in this to these teams because everyone was following very very closely. But it seemed like people were getting injured more so in training that ruled them out then in the games. The question was actually were these do you think like there's freak accidents or was it you training such high intensity or like, is that a common thing for people to be ruled out? Meant a lot of them from training sessions. I think Mary and Sam are from training, and then I'm not sure even about what Alana's was in the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a good question. I think that that, like the answer is multifactorial. I think that definitely, because people were following us so closely, and because the media, we're obviously reporting on everything, and the injury is such a big impact to any sport, so you're going to hear about all of that, So it was probably it seemed a lot bigger to you guys on the outside because it was being reported on, probably more than when we play at other times. It was probably quite consistent in terms of injury rates. So we have a traffic light system, so at the end of every that meeting, at the end of every evening, we have the girls highlighted green or or red. So green is available no problems, Orange is modified or needs to be reviewed before the next day, and then read is unavailable for the next day. And so we actually are monitoring very closely and we can see the trends. Like because it's a big color thing in our we sent it out to all the coaches every night, so like one of our little things is oh we get all green. It's amazing, and that's you know what we're amy for. We amy for all green. By the time the first game starts, this particular camp, we bought in a lot of players who were actually quite significantly injured coming into a camp, which is very unusual because normally, if you're just doing a friendly game, you don't bring players in that are injured. You just leave them out. So I think that when we started, and it was a staggered start, So we assembled on the twurth of June, but the girls didn't necessarily have to be released by their club until the tenth of July, so they came in and droops and jobs as the clubs allowed them to come in, depending on whether they were at the end of their season or in the middle of the season. Because the girls that played in London and Fresh City, the European girls were at the end of their season, so they were available earlier, but they had to have a mandatory break before they came in. That's what FIFA sort of determined. And then our girls, a lot of them playing in the US or Sweden and they were mid season, so some of them didn't come in until just before, like two days before that first friendly game, so it was a big difference. So we had I think eight players who came in in that kind of first four weeks that we were in full rehab so weren't participating in the training at all. So we were as a medical team designing their training each day individualized for those eight players, and I think four or five of them were of our starting eleven, So we're talking about like top players who hadn't played a game for the months because they were injured. So to even kind of bring all that together to have most of them available for the first game, it's, you know, it's actually a huge tribute to both our sports scientists and our physiotherapists who just work behind the scenes, day in, day out to sort of bring that all together. And so then in terms of injuries, once you're in there and you're sort of everyone's fit and you're ready to go, then your injuries are rather contact or non contact. So contact injuries electraumas, you can't really prep or plan for those, so if they happen, it's just part of sport. It's the non contact injuries that you're trying to do everything you can to avoid it, So they're the ones that all things going well. You know, in an ideal world, you shouldn't have any non contact injuries because should manage everything so perfectly that you don't. But the reality is you do get them. And so you know, of our obviously the concussions, we had two concussions in training. So the first two were Mary and Ivy. They were both just contact concussions. So it's just unavoidable. I mean it was they were both with the ball. So it's oh, it's actually interesting because I don't know, like the balls have a very specific PSI that they're pumped up to, but these balls were a different brand to balls that we normally use in games. I don't know whether that was anything like if the ball was harder, like the actual make of the ball. I mean, it's just very unusual that we had so many concussions based on heading the ball, that we all being or being hit in the head with the ball that we haven't had in the past. And then obviously Sam's injury was a calf injury, so that was a non contact injury, you know, was just something that happened. There was no sort of preemptive sort of moment to that it's just an acute injury that happened. But other than that, So Charlie's happened in the game. Her concussion. Alana's probably happened in that game, but we weren't sure. It wasn't evident until afterwards. Wasn't about her concussions. She kind of had like sort of a bit of a delay of onset symptoms or a bit of It was kind of a tricky one to diagnose. But I can't really think of any other sort of big injuries that resulted in people being ruled out of games. There was a few that we were managing soft tissue things throughout, so we might not have trained them so that they could play. So the idea is if someone's pulled up saw, you don't put them back into training and really make that injury worse. So that's the fine line between doing enough and then not doing too much. So obviously people will say, well, just don't train them, but not training someone and then underloading them into a game is a big risk as well. So balancing the risk of overloading and causing a worse injury or underloading and causing a worse injury. And we debate about every evening about it. I know that our coach is quite he's so respectful of our medical team. I mean, you've probably heard him talk in the media like it's very genuine that he trusts us fully and we'll do, you know, whatever we advise. But sometimes he was worried that we were making like he didn't want the girls to train in a certain training session as much as we were trying to get them to train, because he was just worried about them getting injured. But it's like, well, we're worried about next week if you don't do this this week sort of thing. So it's just that balance. And I guess on the field, you probably don't see the little injuries because we just sub the player and you just think it's a sub. So we've got a lot of corks in those games, like like a lot like just I mean, it's the same girls that often get them. They're just the you know, the tenacious ones on the field. But so sometimes it's quite evident when they cool down the next day, like they might have to miss two or three training sessions to recover from that. That's an injury that sustained in the game. But we just don't make a deal about it. We don't sort of you don't see it because they're back playing by the next game, so they're the ones that you don't notice.
Speaker 3: There's no press release about it or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which keep some things under wraps so everyone will know who to run out because they go, oh, that girl got a cork in her quad last game. We're just going to aim at her cord, so things like that. So like we'll strap them for training, but then when we know the media is going to be there, we'll make them wear long pants for instance, or we'll take the strapping off for me. Like you don't want to give you like, you absolutely cannot give anything away that will compromise the health or welfare of the player by the opposition knowing something about that player.
Speaker 4: I always just like in my brain, I'm just like, I'm I feel like personally, I'm i'd say I'm a fair player to never want to hurt someone more as a means of like exporting the injury or something. But obviously this is like elite professional, most important cup of the year, so they'll do whatever they can. And then in my brain also sometimes they watch it, I'm like what is this. Is this a pretend, meticule time out that's happening on the field, that's all strategy, or they really sore on the well.
Speaker 1: It's actually the opposite, where most of the time the girls won't go down and let us come on the field, and we're like, just let us come on.
Speaker 4: Not the tillies.
Speaker 1: Like I think in the sport there's definitely, you know, tactical injuries, but for us, mainly the reason they try and get on with it, for us not to come on the field is because if we come on the field when the play restarts, they have to go off the field and so then we're playing short and you're not allowed back on the field until the ref lets you back on. So they try like super super hard to not have That's why if you watch closely, you often see a game where Jackie and I will stand up and walk to the sideline and we're just standing there ready to go on. But then they're trying not to call us on, and they're like, Okay, I can recover myself, I can do this, and then they'll they'll play on. But sometimes I say to them, like, you really should have called us on for that one, like you, you probably needed a bit of help or a bit of assessment. But the I mean our girls octually, these girls are very very tough.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Well I realize somehow we have suddenly already talked for an hour again, just like this time just goes so quickly. We have so much fun with you. But one of the things that we wanted to ask just in terms of like the things that you learn about people only when you get to travel with them or live with them, Like are there any Raphael Nadal style superstition rituals that people do before they go in the field. Are you guys superstitious about anything? Like do you do rituals before? Are their dates and times? Or like what are some of the coo or do you all have to travel with like peanut butter and a jar? Like what are the things about the team including you guys that only people who are in the team would know that are like just quirks about you guys.
Speaker 1: The girls are very superstitious, like very very so. Macca didn't like the pink goalkeeper uniform. So the goalkeepers have three uniforms, black, purple, and pink, so that like that was their world Cup kit and she had played in the pink I think when we lost to Scotland in the lead up, and so she didn't like her performance, so then she just attributed to the pink kit and then she we played in the pink when we lost to Nigeria. I think hopefully that I've got that correct. I think that was the game we played in the other kit too, like the blue kit, not the yellow kit, And like I'm not superstitious at all, but I get so worried about because it's such a mindset thing. So then for every game, so we get told as you get towards the game, there's like a match commissioner meeting and they tell you like, this is the kit you're playing in, and this is the kit the goal keeps playing so it's not in our control. So like FIFA tell you no choice. Yes, So every game I was like, oh my god, Like I was trying to find out for the manager as soon as possible whether it's going to be the pink kit for that Cup because I just really needed to prepare.
Speaker 3: Don't be picked, don't because if.
Speaker 1: It was, I need to prep I was actually I was dead going to make her train in it. One day if she was going to have to play in it, because like they have a training kit. But I was just getting very worried about this, and like, luckily she wore the black for the rest of the tournament and played like an absolute swipstar. And I know she would have played well on the peak as well. But yeah, so that was one thing.
Speaker 3: WHOA, that's so fascinating.
Speaker 1: A lot of them have like lucky undies, lucky sports car I mean, Sam Sam has I don't think she's got it anymore. I think I think she's moved on. But at the Olympics, Sam had a lucky sports bra. It was like the oldest thing I've ever seen, and it was like she had to wear it for every game. And the laundry at the Olympics it was like this big because you're in the we're in the village, so it was like the whole of the village having the laundry yet and it's in COVID right, so so literally you'd have to line up for an hour to submit your laundry and then you'd get it back at a certain time in the evening. And this lucky sports bra went missing. So half of the team and the coaching staff and the medical staff just waltzed into this laundry like this big facility in Japan and went behind the scenes. And we're just searching people's laundry bags to find her lucky sports bra because like we couldn't. We just didn't want her to have to play without it. Like we found it, but like, oh thank god.
Speaker 3: Where's the video footage of that? You go searching through people's undies like I've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I've got some photos. I was trying to search mountain find some photos. That's pretty funny. So yeah, there's lots of things, like you know the girls that like we know them so well, we know what's going to make them on edge or whatever, so we just kind of work to that, Like it's just it just becomes second nature the stuff. Like some I don't know, sometimes we start to get superstitious, like oh, well I wore my hair like that, and then you wore this, and that's what we did, so we'll do that again. But we're only really mucking around, like we're not actually serious, Like it'd be fine, like we'd be fine to I go out of my way to make sure that I don't create superstitions. So I just keep changing things up so that I don't create an attachment to something, because otherwise then you're just relying on something that's out of your control potentially. So yeah, I am.
Speaker 4: I am incredibly superstitious. Like the first game that we won, I wore this one outfit anyway, So I wore the same outfit every time we play, to the socks, to the undies, to everything. And then by the end of that people because literally like I had to wash it in like like fast because it was kind of raining down here. And then I was like, oh, I gotta get it ready. And then I think we the game that we lost against Nigeria, I was like, I want different socks or something, and I was like, I was like, why did I wear these socks?
Speaker 3: And my fault, Well, you mean while you were watching the World Cup. Not while you're playing footy.
Speaker 4: No, No, when I was watching the Tilly thought, not when I'm playing personally, I like, when I played footy, I like, I have nothing, God, you just.
Speaker 3: Mean watching TV. Obviously we lost because no, genuinely, I hold you.
Speaker 4: I should have won that that song if only.
Speaker 1: The girls knew it was because of you and not them, that would.
Speaker 4: Be like, honestly, I was. I've never been so intensely following, Like I love Carton and I love my teams, but I have never felt so attached to a team in my life where I was like after we won against France, I had consumed every piece of media that you possibly could find from now until the day I was born, about the Tillies, the recar podcasts.
Speaker 2: You made me watch the doco that day when you came over and we watched like five episodes in a row.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was cooked. I'm surprised that you don't have any superstitions.
Speaker 1: I have not seen like a piece of media. I haven't read anything. I didn't see anything. I don't know what went on, Like I never knew Like people were like, oh, you've got some screen time. I'm like, oh that's good. Did I Like we watched the game back, but it was like it was the raw footage, so we never saw like the commercial footage. So I just one day I'll sit down and watch it. Yeah. So I'm the opposite, like I'm inside this bubble and I have no idea what went on outside in terms of you looking in, Like I just don't know what people know, what people saw. It's so cool.
Speaker 2: They probably know so much about you, and you have no idea that everyone knows all this stuff about you, and then you walk out. You're just like super famous and everyone knows anything about your life.
Speaker 3: They know you're reditionary.
Speaker 1: Now. The only thing that I did get was like hundreds of people, not hundreds, but people were texting me going they called you the physio and the game like being an extended I'm like, that's fine. And then the next game and I'm like, they still called you the physio, to the point where I went to our minimander and I said, look, I've got some friends that are watching on like the coverage, and they're getting very upset that they are calling me the physio and not the doctor, Like can you just talk to the commentators and let them know that I'm the one with the ribbons in my hair, I'm the doctor, and Jackie is the physio, and she's the other one on the field. And because we look quite similar, like over the years going on the field, people make a joke and say like we're sisters and we're running on the field, and some of her friends apparently called her up and said, so do you guys just like sciss a paper rock? Who does what on the field when you run around, because like sometimes like it's Brandy doing it and sometimes it's you.
Speaker 3: Doing it and looks interchangeable, like you know.
Speaker 1: There was one point that my daughter rang me it sometimes through well I rang her and she said like, oh, can you come home from the day And I was like, oh no, like I've got a you know, I'm still working with Matilda's. And she's like, why can't Jack into it? Like you can take over, can't. She's so cute?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what they like watching you on TV?
Speaker 1: Well, they like she's a bit older now, she's five and a half. But like throughout the last like because of COVID, especially when I was traveling, I would go away for a long period of time and then I'd be two weeks in quarantine. I wouldn't see them for a long time, and so they would watch me on the TV and that was like a nice thing. And they have a game called Spotto Brandy with it, like my whole family play where they try and catch me in the background and then they send me screenshots of the TV. So literally, like all my friends catch on mouse, so I'll be in a game overseas and then my watch will just be going off with photos of screenshots of TV I've been on. But anyway, and so my daughter's at school now. But a few years ago she went to Kindy and that was like, what do you want to do when you grow up? And she said, oh, I want to work on the TV like my mum's and so like she thought my job was on the TV because that's all she got to cv at work. Like she now understands, she's a massive Tillies fan. She knows I'm a sports doctor. And then when she left Kindy and they sort of did that KINDI graduation before she started school, she said that she wanted to be a sports doctor and that she was going to take over as the Matilda's doctor after me. And she said, she said, nom, so can you just stay there till I'm ready to have the job And I said, well absolutely, not six yet. And then she said, oh, and I might work in your clinic as well, but I want to be the boss, so I'm going to be the boss. I was like, of course, you are good on her.
Speaker 3: What an vicious little girl.
Speaker 1: She's got a whole life plan out.
Speaker 4: We had a lot of questions, but I feel like you've actually probably answered most of them. But we have one final question that came from Nick, who's Sarah's husband, and it's the most strange question. But I was like, I love strange questions. No, it's not even it's fairly a question.
Speaker 3: I think he was like, it's just a joke. It's really bad.
Speaker 4: The question was if they danced, would they be called waltzing Matilvers. That's part one, yes, no, yes or.
Speaker 1: No, yes they do dance, No, because they don't waltz.
Speaker 4: Wait, this is part two of the questions. Or if they waltzed to that song, would they be Matilda's waltzing? Waltzing Matilda.
Speaker 3: Lame?
Speaker 1: So our dancing song?
Speaker 3: Is is it the Nicky Webster song?
Speaker 1: No, so that's the the pre song, the song like the celebratory song is freed from desire?
Speaker 3: Oh you know who chooses that?
Speaker 1: Well, it just it was played over like at the end of every game, and so it just became the like the anthem that the girls would sort of they danced on the sideline. If you watched the there's footage on the I'm sure you'll be able to get some footage. It was the yeah, the penalty shootout game, so the quarter final game, and so they played it over a loud speaker and they did the dance like there's a dance.
Speaker 3: I think you should do it. Yeah, they do that song.
Speaker 1: It's like that song, but it's the remix. Oh, the remix the dance might be a day that sounds right hold on yeah yeah. And so then so when we were leaving the game in Brisbane, because after the game, like after a win, it's all hype on the bus obviously, and that's we do the team song on the bus. And so they put that song on and we're like singing and dancing to it as we were leaving, and then they do the team song for winning. So it's like a disco on the bus when we win a game. That's where all the singing and dancing and in the chain room like and for Prehab, I mean, there was so much about the music. So the music starts when we arrive and then the ten minutes of Prehab is very much music. It's such a mix. So you'll have Nicky Webster into some like Rapper into Seleen Dion into black Magic into Yeah, like it's such a diverse Kaya Simon is the main DJ, and then Lydia and Sam often if Guy's not there, So it's probably second to food. The music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: You need to at least the Hilly's like Spotify playlist that everyone can download and just get in the zone.
Speaker 1: It's basically just Kaias Simon's Spotify some of hers a public just single on one.
Speaker 2: If you guys lose, is it like a hallow darkness maled friend like quiet?
Speaker 3: No one wants a bar of music and dancing in COVID.
Speaker 1: When we're at the Agian Cup in India, we had to have two buses because you had to have like separation on the bus, and so the bus that I was on like they were calling it the cool bus, and I think we must have had m Yeah obviously not because I was on it. I was actually on the cool player bus. But I've got some footage of them doing I don't know what it is, like some like sing along love song. But they all had their phones. You know how you put the torch on your phone. Now, Yeah, I'll dig that one up and put it back on the story too. It was like they're the moments that you remember more than the sport, like those are all behind the scene things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but not more than the food of course.
Speaker 2: No, I've learnt so much about your relationship with this last hour. Oh my gosh, well, doctor Brandy, thank you so much for jumping back on. That was so fascinating and I'm so glad we got to have this second chat because we would have missed out on learning like what your days actually look like. That blew my mind. I just can't believe our intense camp time must be for you guys, like working those incredible crazy hours but in such an exciting environment, Like are you spent when you get home?
Speaker 1: Oh? I was this time. I've never been. I don't think in my life I've ever been so emotionally, physically and mentally just broken, like literally broken. I had a patient the other day. It came in because I went straight back to work. I actually had people booked in the final and I was like, oh, so I moved them around. So I haven't actually had a break yet, Like tomorrow is the start of my holidays from the World Cup, Like I haven't had a holiday yet. I've recovered, but I still am a little bit You know, like I need a break. My patient said to me, Oh, like you look at ittle bit more now, like you're a bit dead behind the eyes. When I came in two weeks and I was like, yeah, I loves how I felt too.
Speaker 3: I've been dead behind my eyes.
Speaker 1: I could still do my job. My brain, my work brain was working fine. My medical brain it didn't it didn't falter, but everything else I was not capable of just making a simple life decision at all. Like my husband said to me, oh, we've been invited to this dinner in two weeks. I was like, oh, I don't know what I'm doing in ten minutes. Like I cannot answer a question about anything like that at the moment. But usually it's fine. Usually I come back refreshed because, as I said, my real life stressful comparantor I can't laugh. But we're going into We're going into camp in a month's time, four weeks time to Perth. We've got three qualified games for the Olympics. Yes, so I'll see if I can get some behind the scenes Freighton food footage for you.
Speaker 4: We might even finde into the DM of it. Was it Nari that you said?
Speaker 1: Was the video Nari yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're'll be like, stop loading things. Doctor Brandon needs to work out today, so you just take the videos.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Nari hasn't one of those microphones that as like it's like a karaokeing microphone and it alters your voice. And when the girls working cast and I had to go do separate training sessions for them, I got to go on the advance bus with the advanced crew and I is on the Advanced crew, and so I got welcomed to the advanced crew with the with the microphone. And that was the day that Charlie was doing her Charlotte Grant was doing her concussion rehab and she actually did a karaoke performance to a Marley Saras song for us as her like her welcome into the advanced group, My dream, my Dream Gift. I'm not on TikTok, but if you follow Charlie on TikTok, they often do like singing dancing TikTok to we're in camp. I always walk into them, see them making them. I had a cameo in one when we were over in London. They're like, Okay, you got to do this. You gotta walk on in the background and do this.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have to find it.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 4: I assume every piece of media I've seen it.
Speaker 3: You've probably seen it.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you have the most amazing, very very well deserved break over the next little while with the fans.
Speaker 1: We have lots of the size Remember, lots of train I was going to say, lots of lots of swimming at the beach.
Speaker 4: I love so hard that your story the other day with the underwater weight running, and I was like, of course, of course that's what you want to do.
Speaker 1: Look like a challenge. I don't actually training her breathing ability as a swimmer, which I do not need. But maybe you'll take the dumb bells for a bushwalk instead, save them from getting rusty.
Speaker 3: You just now, all you need is a pasta station and then your set.
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't need pastas, so it's all right.
Speaker 3: Did that slip through?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm a fruit and ven salad, meat girl, nuts and cheese, just plenty of it. You have to wait too long for the pasta station.
Speaker 4: It's going to.
Speaker 3: The Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for joining us twice now and we'll be following along very closely in Perth and will be of course, you know, like wearing her special undies and a special ox and.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want to come over, I'll probably get some tickets of the game I can give you.
Speaker 4: Foll No, I don't even In the minute the World Cup finished, I looked at flights and I was like, how do I work this?
Speaker 3: So I reckon, we could do it. Bin, Let's do a CCA trip to Perth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me know if you come over, I'll hook you up.
Speaker 4: Okay, leave it with us, leave it with us.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: This has just been absolutely delightful and we hope you have the best break.
Speaker 1: Thank you.