Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mamma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to Mamma Mia out loud. It's what women are actually talking about. On Wednesday, the sixteenth of October. I'm Holly Waynwright and I am back from my holiday.
Speaker 3: I'm Jesse Stevens and I'm m Vernham filling in for mea today. You can normally hear me on our daily entertainment podcast The Spill.
Speaker 2: Clearly we have a one in one out I am, I came back and Mia fed off anyway, on the show today, we were looking for a Madam Finance, but he's not in the office today. What happened to women when one of the most macho work cultures in the world tried a four day work week? Also, the Prime Minister bought a very expensive house. You might have heard, so is this perfectly fine class betrayal.
Speaker 3: Or just a little quiet quit?
Speaker 2: Two two two four two three And don't try to make a five year a seven year, you idiot? Why number woo wu is so very hot right now?
Speaker 4: But first, the US has sent its strongest known written warning to Israel demanding Israel boost aid to Gaza or risk losing military support. The Biden administration sent this letter to Israeli leaders on Sunday, expressing their deep concerns about the deteriorating humanitarian situation. The letter referred to the Israeli government denying or impeding nearly ninety percent of humanitarian movements between northern and southern Gaza last month, and demanded that they take steps to improve conditions within thirty days.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: The US is by far the biggest supplier of arms to Israel and their biggest ally, which makes this letter really significant. It's also only nineteen days until the presidential election. The warning comes amid a new Israeli offensive in northern Gaza, which has reportedly called caused a large number of civilian casualties and forced one point seven million people into a narrow area where they are at risk, the letter says, of lethal contagion. You might have also seen the distressing footage of a burning hospital in Gaza with civilians inside, which killed at least four injuring dozens of others. The Israeli military said the target of the strike was a Hamas command center. Meanwhile, missiles, rockets and drones are being directed at Israel, with thousands of Israelis seeking refuge in bomb shelters.
Speaker 6: Last week marked.
Speaker 4: One year since the October seven attack carried out by Hamas, where twelve hundred people were killed, two hundred and fifty four hostages were taken, and ninety seven hostages are yet to be recovered. Since the war began, more than forty two thousand Palestinians have been killed, according to Gaza's Ministry of Health.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's completely normal to feel helpless and overwhelmed in the face of what is now an ex banding and seemingly unending horror in the Middle East. So we just wanted to give you a few details of some of the aid organizations who are operating in the region who need support more than ever if you're able to give it. Doctors without Borders are operating in both Gaza and Lebanon. Any donation to them pays for consultations, surgeries, treatments and vaccinations. World's Central Kitchen is a remarkable organization. They go all over the world wherever they're needed, so at the moment, as well as operating still in Gaza Lebanon, and Israel. They're actually also operating in the hurricane hit areas of the United States and many other areas all over the world. They provide emergency food relief and they have served more than seventy million meals in Gaza since the conflict began. Plan International focus on Girls and children. They do things like provide basics like blankets, cash assistance in areas of need. They're operating in Gaza and Lebanon, and of course UNICEF, whose Children of Gaza appeal is entering its twelfth month. They provide suppert for children that can include things like water purification tablets and School in a Box, which is one box that contains enough education supplies to keep forty students learning in the most difficult circumstances. We are putting the links to all of those organizations in today's show notes.
Speaker 3: And to say, across any developments across the Middle East, you can always tune into our daily news podcast, The Quickie. We will put a link in our show notes to that.
Speaker 7: The four day work week is slowly transforming from a thing of dreams into a reality.
Speaker 5: With Medibank expanding its trial.
Speaker 3: Companies in Australia are trialing a four day work week, and it's looking pretty good for women.
Speaker 6: As a woman, I think it sounds great.
Speaker 3: Well, you, Jesse and Holley work part time. Woll interesting, they're already work time?
Speaker 2: Why not? Because I don't work in the office five days a week, nine to five. That's true, but I don't have any days off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we work a part time at Mama Maya and then we do other things on the side, so it feels like a bit of a freelancing gik.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that yes. Anyway, Well, look, we're defensive already, to tell we're defensive already, and me is not even here.
Speaker 3: So let's I was gonna I was gonna say that both of you have it really good right now, but I'm quite scared, so I'm not going to say that. So Medibank have been trialing this with their employees and they've adopted the one hundred eighty one hundred model, which is one hundred percent pay for eighty percent hours at one hundred percent productivity. A lot of people were like, this is never going to work for women, because, as you guys say, so many women do work part time and they feel like they're just working full time. But on like four days instead of five. Yeah, but some of the insights from this trial has actually shown that employee satisfaction, motivation, and engagement is up. There's also been significant reductions in unhealthy eating, sleep disturbances, and job related stress. From other trials at aren't the Medibank trials, it was shown that men took more responsibility at home, so it took on more of that at home labor now only with the.
Speaker 2: Man in there four days a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they were working four days a week, so it's not equal to women, but it's more than what I'm assuming they were doing nothing before. Yeah, all right to see. So previous trials also indicated that there was a reduced in stress, burnout, and absenteesm with a forty four point three percent decrease in sick leave. Now, because of these results, a company called Insignia Financial, which is a huge finance company in Australia, will now be trialing the four day work week as well, which is going to be the first in its sector to do so.
Speaker 2: Because finance is known as a very like Matro, work till you drop, long hours, work hard, play hard, all that kind of culture. So it is significant that they're taking it up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you on board with the four day work week? Jess Stevens.
Speaker 4: I loved this story because recently there was another news story that came out. It was a report by the Productivity Commission. Did you guys see this? And it was about the childcare rebate and universal childcare and early childhood education and parents kind of accessibility to that. And there was an interesting article written in the Sydney Morning Herald by a friend of mine, Charlotte Mortlocke, and she wrote about how a lot of the incentives that are dangled in front of prospective parents involve spending less time with their kids. Now, the early childhood education conversation is one thing, and the Productivity Commission that was their scope, so I totally understand that. But the other side of the conversation is exactly the four day work week, which is we've talked about how people are deciding to have less kids or no kids, the declining birth rate, which is economically problematic, and I think the reason a lot of people are having less kids or deciding not to have them is also because of the finite resource that is time.
Speaker 6: They go.
Speaker 4: I don't have time to raise them a lot of people will have one child and then go, I don't have time to raise another one. I can barely raise one. We're talking a lot about the finite resource of money, which is cost of living crisis. I don't have another bedroom. I couldn't afford another set of an app is whatever it is. But this is the other one that I think parents are yelling out about going the equation of having two full time working parents and kids isn't working in a lot of places all over the world. The US Surgeon General came out a few weeks ago to say that it is a significant public health crisis parental stress, and there aren't services and support for parents.
Speaker 6: I wonder if we shifted, say.
Speaker 4: Universally to a four day work week, if people would have more kids.
Speaker 3: They definitely would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not that I'm as obsessed with you are as there being lots more children running around everywhere, but they definitely would because and in a minute, I will play Mia, because if Mia was here, she'd be going.
Speaker 6: Somebody needs to think of the bosses.
Speaker 2: And I promise you, Mia, wherever you're listening to this, that we will think of the bosses in a moment. But one of the things that is life changing for families if they can do it. Is if you can both work a four day week but have a different day off, right, then that considerably reduces your childcare costs, It considerably reduces your stress, It improves people's diet, It improves almost every indicator, right, And that is an ideal situation. Brent has never worked five full days in office since we had kids. He went part time when we had Billy, I think, so he went four days. The thing is is that what a lot of people get kind of a bit sniffy about is they're like, well, who can afford to it four days? But what a lot of people do now is they supplement their income with other things and they build it around those hours or whatever. But it's when they're talking about four days, they mean I have to be either in an office or in a workplace, or in a hospital or in where I have to be in change my desk or my job for those four days. Often people will tack on other work around. But also in the won't somebody think of the bosses situation. What this is talking about is in order to get your four day work week, I mean, the conditions are the output has to remain the same. Yea, So that means the four days that you work are going to be exceptionally full on days. But most women and men in fact who work part time would tell you that is already their reality, right, So it's never going to work for every workplace. And I know that whenever we talk about flexible work, working from home, all those things, there will be a large portion of the audience and the population who get very pissed off because they're like, it's just not possible for everybody. But work has never been the same for everyone. People have always worked shift work, work in different.
Speaker 3: Places, you know.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of nurses, for example, who since having kids, have rearranged their shifts to work three really full on long days, but then have more days off. Like that has always happened in different professions. There's never been a blanket. Everyone in the world works nine to five.
Speaker 6: And other yes.
Speaker 4: But the thing about women going part time is obviously there's a financial cost to that, and there's also a career at a cost because often you have to sort of stop at whatever level you're at. Whereas if the four day week were to become completely normalized, which a lot of part time women are doing anyway, then that would kind of mean that it's more of an even playing field.
Speaker 6: What do you make of it?
Speaker 3: I unpopular opinion me. Always call me a liar, but I'm actually not on board with the four day week. I think she should be on board because I can honestly say it's the model. I think it's the model of the four day week that they're working towards the one hundred percent pay, eighty percent hours, one hundred percent of productivity.
Speaker 6: That bit. I would rather if that would say sixty percent.
Speaker 2: That's because of your life stage, right, Without wanting to be really presumptuous, it's like you want that bit of flex at work to like socialize, leave early, sometimes, gather in the kitchen for a long lunch, whatever it might be.
Speaker 3: Not that you do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not suggesting anyone does that.
Speaker 3: You know I do that. You've seen lab.
Speaker 2: But what I mean is what you will notice about people. And again I'm generalizing so much, but mothers who come back to it, they are so fricking efficient with their time. They are working every minute there in the office. They're not funny and about having a chit chat.
Speaker 3: I mean some are.
Speaker 2: Obviously, but like, because if you're trying to cram it all in and you know you've got to walk out the door at four o'clock or whatever you might have negotiated to get to an early childcare pickup or whatever, you are squeezing that time.
Speaker 3: I don't have kids, so I don't have the burden of childcare. I also don't have a man to take on the responsibility at homes. I still have that, but I can honestly say that right now, in my five day week, I'm probably at about an eighty percent max productivity, and knowing if I went to a four day week, I'd have to up that to one hundred percent, and I don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very fair because at different times in your life, different things are more important. So there have been times in my work life where I've negotiated less pay for more time off, for example, or you know, like you negotiate around those things because it's what's important to you at that time. And there are different times in your life where time is the most important.
Speaker 4: Don't you reckon though that, Especially in the finance sector, although I can see in a lot of different sectors with all the talk of AI and how it's going to change our lives. If AI can't give us a day back, then what's the point. If I was speaking to a teacher recently who said that they had this AI system come in, which is to the amount of paperwork after as a teacher, and it's streamliner. What they did in this session was they use this technology and it he said it would take four hours off my work week.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: What this technology could.
Speaker 4: Do what I don't want to do is then have us fill it with other shit or like try and stretch out our workload or pile more onto us. If we can all get this AI stuff that some people seem very excited about to take one day of work off us, then isn't the point of technology so that we can have a bit of freedom and sit by the beach.
Speaker 2: And some space to have creative ideas for our bosses?
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, rather than are doing all the fun creative stuff that meme that goes around that says something like I would like AI to clean my house and file my I don't want it doing their interesting thing.
Speaker 6: While I know.
Speaker 2: Amantha Rembo, who was quoted in the MoMA Mea article about this right. She is an amazing productivity innovation consultant who I interviewed her for a podcast. Like I want to say, like maybe eight years ago. She is the first person. She was a boss running a company who at that time had implemented flexible working locations. So at that time, her team and it's a relatively small team, admittedly it was maybe fifteen people. They had to be in the office on XT day, next day, and the rest of the days they could be wherever they wanted in the world. It didn't as long as they got their worked on. At the time, that boggled my tiny mind so much. It was so out there. And now she actually has re implemented people being in the office on certain days. They haven't gone full flexibility, but she says the way that she works it with her team Monday to Thursday, everybody works hard, some remotely, some not, but like very full on hours and then they get together on Thursday and decide. She says, people look at their annual goals, they break them down into what they've got to do, and they work out whether they've achieved everything they wanted to achieve. To take Friday off without feeling anxious or guilty about it, and like, imagine, if you can get work to a place where it's less about you being there and more about what you produce, then you can do that. Yeah, And I think that's the dream.
Speaker 6: Out louders, let us know what you think. Are you doing a four day work week?
Speaker 4: Because I have a lot of friends who are doing a four day work week at the moment, and I must say they are looking.
Speaker 3: To them, I bet.
Speaker 2: They are not your teacher friends though are.
Speaker 6: Now We're not my teacher friend until.
Speaker 2: The school goes to four days a week, that's not going to be available to work in hospitals a lot of sort of I don't know if it's government technically, but like public health type stuff.
Speaker 4: Enormous amount of outpush. But you know, Fridays, honestly, they're getting more sleep than the rest of us.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure if me is listening right now or any other bosses are kind of rolling their eyes at this whole four day work week. But I think what they would get on board with is the actual model that everyone's trialing, which is the one hundred pay for eighty percent of hours for one hundred percent of productivity. So productivity actually isn't decreasing in the four.
Speaker 4: Day work week, Yeah, exactly. And I think that on the surface, a lot of bosses go, hang on, who's going to be here on a Friday, like especially if you work in retail or you work in like somewhere that needs to be staffed all of those days they're going It just doesn't add up. You could kind of shift your staff around like.
Speaker 3: Some because I think if we were actually talking about this with me out because I guess we have like about ten riders. Someone needs to be writing all the time, like we write like seven days a week. But instead of having a team of ten in one go, you have a team of five, which actually means that team of five has to work.
Speaker 2: I don't give her any ideas she's gonna get on board.
Speaker 10: I understand I've been fortunate, which is why I want to help all Australians into a home, whether it be public homes or private rentals or home ownership.
Speaker 4: Australian Prime Minister Anthony Alberanezi has purchased a new home and if you would like all the details, you better believe I have them. I love looking at pictures of real estate.
Speaker 2: This is quite a good real estate, pawny juicy.
Speaker 6: The bathtub has of you. I love a bathtub with a view.
Speaker 4: That's He bought the new South Wales Central Coast property for four point three million dollars. It has four bedrooms, three bathrooms and it's built as cliff top perfection as well as a premiere location to enjoy sun whale watching or spectacular sunsets all ye around.
Speaker 3: It also has an entertainment section that faces north and from talking to rich people, I know that's the place you want to face.
Speaker 6: It's always not why they always bring up north.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because against the sun. And you don't want to be south because like you're turning it back against the world.
Speaker 4: So rich people north always because north facing and I'm like, oh, it's north facing the north of my life. But four labor MPs are not in the mood to buy albern easier housewarming gift. They expressed frustration at the PM's decision, with one MP remarking I can't think of a greater act of self sabotage in my life. I am god smacked. Another said if you're a Labor MP up against a Green at the next election, good luck. Uh huh anow They're added, it's not a good look, and they're instinct is this is fucking terrible. Some were even said to have tried to stop it. So why is it such a bad move? Well, all of this is six months before an election. There is an election to be held in May that will be fought primarily on housing affordability. Voters are of course dealing with high interest rates, rents and property prices, not to mention a housing shortage. And Albernizi also has an investment property which is for sale for one point eight five million dollars. Here's what Opposition leader Peter Dutton had to say.
Speaker 7: Well, it's a matter for the Prime Minister, but I wish sare Hee and Jodie well, and they're obviously planning for the next stage of life post politics, and I wish them well in that.
Speaker 4: Until twenty nineteen, Dutton himself actually had four properties in Queensland. He sold one, his beachfront Gold Coast property, for six million dollars a few years ago. Holly Dutton is clearly suggesting that our Benizi is looking towards retirement. Is that what it looks like to you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: It is. Look I'm really conflicted about this. I want to be clear. There's some people saying this is the thing that's going to lose him in the election. Now that is silly on its face. It's silly because really we don't vote like about what politicians do in their personal life, whether they're buy a house or not. You vote for the party who's got the policies that most aligned with your values. Da da da da da. So whether or not Albo lives on the Central Coast and a four million dollar house is not really important.
Speaker 3: But I entirely agree with.
Speaker 2: The Labor MP who said this is an act of self sabotage because I do not understand the timing. I do not understand it. I understand that Albanezi is at a brink of a new era in his personal life. As he said when he was talking about why he's doing it now, he and Jody are about to get married. His fiancee, Jody Hayden. He said she's from the Central Coast. Do they want to have a base there? And all of that is great, but he's just handed a big stinking pile of pooh to everyone who doesn't like him because the Greens can use this against him because they can basically say, oh, wouldn't it be nice talk to the renters of Australia who were fighting rent hikes. Look at the entire generation who can't even dream of buying a home in a city because they're so unaffordable. It must be nice for you, Albow. You're out of touch the liberals, who it is laughable that they are making anything of this because if you added up their property portfolio as they'd be significantly more. But they can go while the nation struggles with the cost of living. Nice for Elbow to be looking to his future, and it does kind of seem like the kind of decision you'd make if you didn't care what everyone was going to say, And if you're going for reelection in six months, you care what everyone's going to say. We could predict, and we are not political advisors, that this was going to be a storm for him.
Speaker 4: The only thing I'm thinking is I was looking at the property prices of this particular house, and he got it for less than.
Speaker 6: It was sold for last time.
Speaker 4: So in my mind, if I'm just looking at Anthony Alberanesi as an average person who wanted to buy a house, he's going well, if I don't buy my dream house now, I'm going to lose the opportunity because someone else is going to get it now. It's politicians make really good money. The base rate for a politician would put their household in the top ten percent of Australian households, and that's before accounting for the fact that they might be married and their spouse might also bring in some income. So this group of people are exceptional. And when you're talking about negative gearing or interest rates, which are impacting the wider Australian population more than it's impacting the people who are kind of in charge of making these policies, I do understand that I agree with you, Holly, that I look at this and go there are massive issues that we want to discuss as a nation, even globally. I want to talk about policies, not necessarily what Alberanize.
Speaker 6: Is choosing for.
Speaker 4: But I saw it compared to when Scott Morrison went to Hawaii during the bushfires and didn't tell anyone that he'd gone on holidays, which wasn't a policy eerror, but when he was eventually voted out, that was the thing voters remember. Like this comparison is so simple. Annabel Krab wrote a brilliant piece on this, like, in voters' minds, you just went and got your cliff top mansion for the two of you to live in. While a report came out I think just this week saying that eighty percent of Australians believe young Aussies.
Speaker 6: Will never afford their own home exactly. And what did you make of all this?
Speaker 3: I felt personally betrayed, alban Ezi.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think you're right. I think, especially with young voters, like the thing you grab onto is like their personal decisions are the people you're voting for. And Anthony ALBERANIZI was that guy that came from nothing, that made something from himself, and he's like the everyday guy and he's able to relate to us. And this is like what his third house, So he's got two on taxpayers and this is the one he bought.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he's gotten property.
Speaker 3: He's just like a mansion. I just look at that and I'm like, oh, I really hope you're going to rent that out the internet.
Speaker 2: Well I don't because you've probably charged way too much rent for it. But I think that what's interesting about that, right, is that Albo in particular has very much always been lefty, a man of the people. And one of the things that's interesting for lefties who've always seen themselves as that. And his first speech is Prime Minister. He quoted lyrics from Billy Bragg. Right, here's a down in the dirt lefty guy who's always been into a bit of class warfare himself. But one of the big struggles for those people as they get middle aged is that they become the establishment. Right now, he's the man, and he's not rich in the way that say a Malcolm Turnbull is rich. But he bought his first property when properties were affordable for ordinary people who earn ordinary money, and now that is not the case for ordinary people who earn ordinary money in a city. So it's not like he has played the markets, been a venture capitalist, been like a professional money maker. But he is by the nature of his generation and the timing and the financial choices he's made, he's now the position of the guy who can buy the cliff top mansion. And so he looks to you, the bad guy like you, And I was like, oh my god, you're part of the problem. And he probably would never see himself that way. But that just makes it even more like a bizarre decision. Why wouldn't you wait six months till after the election and then buy clifftop match.
Speaker 4: So the only thing I can think is that the man believes he's going to lose.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: I just kept going looking at this house and looking at the story and how a lot of people were going, don't buy it.
Speaker 3: Now it's going to look really, really bad as his retirement plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because as you say, he's got harbor views from his Curebilly manchat.
Speaker 2: Which it doesn't his but he's allowed to live in it, and he's also allowed to live in the house in Canberra, so he's got two different places to live.
Speaker 6: He's selling his investment.
Speaker 3: And he has to move out straight away if he loses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wondered that, Like, I'm sure that they're not going to kick him out onto the straight.
Speaker 2: You do have to move out straight away if you lose, well pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Well maybe it's not like you to if Jackie Kennedy had to do it.
Speaker 2: The thing that's tricky here, right is that again, on the face of it, the man's allowed to do what he wants, and it isn't relevant about what kind of prime ministery is. But and this was also in the Annabel Crab piece, which is very true. It's what we expect from leaders. They're only really in that gig, most of them for a short time, and what we expect from them in that time is that they won't necessarily do all the things they want. There was a guy in that piece who was quoted as saying Tony Barry, who's a former liberal person but he's a strategist now, and he said, one of the golden rules of leadership is that you just can't do all the things you'd like to do, like overseas holidays, like selling investment properties, like buying spectacular waterfront real estate homes. It's true, right, is that just for that period of time. And I love Albow, he's my guy, but I'm like, mate.
Speaker 6: There was a crazy choice.
Speaker 2: I think he's in love in a big way, which is lovely, but like mate.
Speaker 6: Don't we all want to go and buy a match with the love of our lives.
Speaker 2: It's the other thing that's interesting listening to people's reactions about this is who thinks that four million dollars is a lot of money, and who doesn't.
Speaker 3: That is very telling.
Speaker 6: Also, what unlimited out loud access.
Speaker 4: We drop episodes every Tuesday and Thursday exclusively for Mamma mea subscribers. Follow the link in the show notes to get us in your ears five days a week.
Speaker 6: And a huge thank you to all our current.
Speaker 2: Subscribers, Astrology, tarot and maths. You've heard us talk a lot about Woo woo lately on Mamma Mia out Loud. We all downloaded some app that told us what the stars had in store for us today today. Apparently, friends, I'm not allowed to meddle, So if I offer any opinions about your clothes, your lunches, or something you say in a meeting, just remind me of that. Anyway, Now, everywhere I look, people are talking about numbers. And when I say people, I mean celebrities. First of all, I was listening to an interview with Zoe Foster Blake that Clastives did for but are you happy? It was great and in it she revealed that her mom is a numerology devotee and that she was concerned that Zoe was trying to make a nine year a seven or something. Anyway, we'll get back to that later. And then I learned that for the cool people, having a necklace or a tattoo that displays your angel number, which might be something like two two two like Kylie Jenners or one four three, which is both the name of Katy Perry's new album and her angel number, is extremely cool. This is what Katy Perry said about what makes your angel number and why hers is one four three.
Speaker 5: One four three, and it means I love you in a digital language. And that came to me actually at a time that was pretty tough and I was looking for some guidance and this number started appearing, and so I called it my angel number. Some people are attracted to eleven eleven, some people like you know, two two two a look. For me, it was a sign, It was a symbol, and it came to me at a really tough time when I was having a lot of anxiety, and it was just so comforting and I would see it in so many different places, and then I looked it up and I was like, well, what does this number mean?
Speaker 3: I love you?
Speaker 2: Isn't that wo woo and silly? I said to all my colleagues who for the purposes of this conversation, I will not refer to as esteemed. No, they said Emily Vernon, what's a necklace with her angel number on it? A head of content? Eliza was thinking about a bracelet. Here are a few other things that the Mama Mere team said about their angel numbers.
Speaker 8: I do believe in angel numbers. I have for a while, since I was younger. With my friend, we always saw five, five five. It means abundance and that good things are coming. And so now I wear a five five five necklace around my neck.
Speaker 7: I don't really believe in them, but i'd like to. I'm open to it.
Speaker 11: I definitely believe in angel numbers. I feel like the universe is looking out for us in all different ways. I see one, two, three four almost every single day, whether that's the time or on a building, it's always kind of and it means that you're progressing and growing and that the universe is kind of guiding you on the right path.
Speaker 7: No, I don't believe in angel numbers.
Speaker 3: I've never even thought about it. The only time, and it's not even a time or a number thing.
Speaker 7: It's when I look at my phone. For some reason, a lot of the time it's twelve thirteen, and that became a personal joke. But that's the only thing that I can think of in terms of having significance to numbers.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like to believe in them, and anytime I see a loved one's birthday, I like to think that that's a nice little you're going well today, Or when I see eleven eleven, I always make a wish.
Speaker 12: I definitely believe in angel numbers. I see eleven eleven pretty much every day, and it's just a reminder for me that the angels are around me, whether that's my guides or people that have passed over, and it just makes me feel very much connected to them.
Speaker 2: Surely, I thought, Jesse Stevens will be into this silliness. Jesse Stevens, I said, do you have weird numbers that you think about all the time? And Jesse Stephens said, yes, I do.
Speaker 6: I said, of course. I said, I've never said it out loud. I'm too ashamed.
Speaker 4: And then I think I might have said it out loud, which is that I was born on the twenty first of the twelve so obviously two to one one two. The house I grow up in with was twenty one. The postcode was two to one some something. That number to me has always been very significant, so I googled it to be like, well, what does the number twenty one mean?
Speaker 6: And it means abundance, and.
Speaker 4: I think it all means abundance actually, which made me feel very very special. But I also was thinking I've got the same thing with a song. I've never said this out loud either, because it's mortifying, but there's a song that, like, the first time I played maybe I was like graduating year twelve, right, and then you know, the day I hand in my master's thesis, the day I finished writing my book one of my first days with the lunar is a song that comes on the radio that is a very rare, weird song. And this would never wear something around my neck or something, cause so I feel like these things are very private, like, and.
Speaker 3: It's almost you were scared to tell us.
Speaker 4: I was really scared because I was like, oh, this is my own woo woo.
Speaker 6: I'm not even sure what I think it means.
Speaker 4: But what those responses said about feeling safe or feeling like there is some sense in the universe reminded me of this conversation I listened to recently with doctor Emily on The Imperfect and it was all about uncertainty, and she said that we have grown increasingly intolerant of all uncertainty. So we walked into the office this morning and all of us were mad because our weather app said it was going to be cool, but it was quite hot, and that really pissed us off. So the weather app and then you were probably on your maps if you were going somewhere, and then you know, you've googled what's wrong with you before you go and see the doctor. Our muscle for uncertainty is not being strengthened, and therefore any time that uncertainty might pop up, we look for And I think this happens in times of great uncertainty, like when people get a diagnosis or grief.
Speaker 2: Will going to Hell and a Hamburg?
Speaker 4: Yes, we go, Oh, I actually have to hold really tightly onto things because then everything will be certain. And apparently that's not very good for us. Apparently what we should all be doing is practicing our uncertainty. So the example they had was like when you go to a restaurant, like maybe don't look at Google reviews before you go because that's the other thing we do is it needs to be four point nine stars because we can't possibly risk having a subpar meal, whereas years ago the uncertainty that we lived in was enormous, Like this has happened in a very very short amount of time. And what's your relationship with your angel numbers?
Speaker 3: What is your angel and number? So mine's a bit complicated my journey with angel number.
Speaker 2: Please tell me.
Speaker 3: Firstly, I'm numerically dyslexic, so this was a very fad.
Speaker 2: Same which took me a really long time to figure.
Speaker 3: This out, very hard for me to take on. I originally thought when angel numbers started becoming a thing, because I think it was definitely my generation where I just started hearing it, maybe like four or five years ago. I was like, this is so silly. I think it's just like the astrology girl he's got on board of astrology. We all know our star signs, that we all knew our like rising moon phases, so that angel numbers felt like the next thing to progress to, which is why where I feel like we are at now. So the number that I see consistently when I was a child was twelve, and like.
Speaker 4: Similarly, twenty one and also one and two, but wherely for you.
Speaker 3: Like every time I would look at the clock could always be twelve twenty one. Yeah, And then I was like, oh, this could be my angel number, but I actually don't like the look of it. It looks a bit ugly. So then I told myself my angel number was two two two because I like the look of that. And since telling myself that, I've been looking for two to two two to come up much. It comes up quite a lot because I'm waiting for it. So sometimes when it's like the clock it's like two twenty, I like, wait, so it's like two twenty one.
Speaker 2: If you went to get this on a necklace or whatever, M.
Speaker 3: I did what you did? I got two two two on a necklace.
Speaker 2: Is the purpose of that to make you feel like when you see the two two two or you touch your necklace or something, that you feel like cared for the purpose by the universe.
Speaker 3: When you wear your necklace, people go what does that mean? And then you go, oh, this is my angel nembor and they're like what's that? And I was like, yeah, everyone's answer to that. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: So I thought this was bullshit right, particularly the numerology thing. I was like, I don't understand and I can't add up.
Speaker 3: But we struggled with the.
Speaker 2: Math I was looking after I heard Zoey Foster Blake say that thing about like it's a seven year or whatever she said, and I'm sorry that I've mangled whatever it was that she said. I was like, that's such nonsense. And then I worked out how you work out what number year it is for you, And it's some complicated thing where you add your birthdays together and then you de blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: It's all the workers.
Speaker 2: And one of the things I've been bitching about a lot lately is that this year I was supposed to be less busy, but I appear to be more busy, and I've taken on a lot of extra work and I should be more organized about it. And it's good because it's good financially, but it's making my life hard. And I bitch about that to anyone who listened. Jesse, you hears me talk about it. But is that the universe's fault?
Speaker 3: Well, I added up my years. It's before for me.
Speaker 2: This year focuses on hard work and security. The opportunities will be fantastic if you're willing to knuckle down, but you need to be organized in all of your endeavors, manage your time, money and resources carefully, et cetera, et cetera. And I was like, shit, it's true.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's been a shame for you last year and the year before.
Speaker 2: Every year is just a stupid four where it's like I say yes to things I should have said no to.
Speaker 4: It's probably an addition error. Honestly, you're probably actually in your year six only.
Speaker 3: Hearing us love and abundance, Like we're all love and abundance.
Speaker 2: That's interesting about the eleven eleven because my late mother in law, who regular out loud as well know, was definitely on the woo wu side. She's psychic. She's an amazing woman. She was always like, when you see eleven eleven, it means the spirit world is trying to tell you something.
Speaker 6: And I was like, oh, is it just eleven eleven?
Speaker 3: Really, Julie?
Speaker 2: But every time I see eleven eleven, obviously think of Julie, But I don't think that means Okay.
Speaker 4: What it actually is is it something called the frequency illusion, which is a cognitive bias, which means that, for example, you'll be listening to out loud and we'll say something like let's say we'll say the name Andrew Garfield, and then in the next three weeks you will go, Andrew Garfield is everywhere ever since I heard them talk about it, and yeah, maybe he's on a publicity trail. But the point is that we have planted a seed and suddenly you're seeing something that you probably saw our thousand times before but never noticed. So that's the thing about angel numbers, right, is that if you go right now, you choose a number out of nowhere. Like the fact every time I see twenty one, I noticed she just have an emotional response means that I'm seeking it out, like it's just how the brain works.
Speaker 2: She's ruined all our fun But I like it. And I also like the fact that this week is literally the first time I've ever heard about angel numbers, and am said about five years ago, me and all my young girl friends started getting into them, so that tells you everything.
Speaker 4: Also mentioned that the woman who invented angel numbers regrets it, regrets it and was like, actually, I totally made it.
Speaker 3: Everyone's blaming me problem.
Speaker 2: I want to make something like that.
Speaker 3: I know devil number idea.
Speaker 10: I could have loved it.
Speaker 2: All right. That is all we've got time for today. A massive thank you to all of our out louders for listening to us. Tell us what you thought about today's show, whether it's about the four day work week, whether it's about whether or not you believe in angel numbers. Please tell me you don't. We would love to hear from you. We are going to be back in your ears tomorrow. And thank you, of course to our wonderful team helping us put this show together.
Speaker 4: And if you want something else to listen to, yesterday, we talked about attachment styles on our subscriber episode. Holly me Or and I revealed our very different attachment styles and it'll help you figure yours out as well. There is a link to that in our show notes.
Speaker 3: Goodbye.
Speaker 2: Shout out to any Mama Mia subscribers listening. If you love the show and you want to support us, subscribing to MoMA Mia is the very best way to do it. There's a link in the episode description