Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast. Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: I'm just really grateful, Like it's just getting a job as an actor is like winning the lottery. So getting one that resonates with people and that I would watch and be entertained by myself is I don't know, winning the triple lottery or something. So I would be happy to shake Ron's hand and serve him mistake if he showed.
Speaker 3: Up for Mama Maya.
Speaker 1: I'm kateline Brook and you're listening to No Filter. There are some roles that transcend the actors who portray them, Characters who are so well acted, so funny or groundbreaking, who brings something new and exciting to our screens that they become in the process iconic. Nick Offerman and Meghan Malally are both screen icons for so many people all around the world. Nick will always be Ron Swanson from Parks and Reck.
Speaker 4: Shut up and look at me.
Speaker 5: Welcome Divisions of Nature. This room has several paintings in it. Some are big, some are small. People did them and they are here now. Please do not misinterpret the fact that I am talking right now as genuine interest in art and attempt to discuss it with me further. End of speech.
Speaker 1: Megan Malally will always be Karen Walker from Will and Grace booked Jack.
Speaker 6: There goes my world, There goes my everything. Just stop worrying.
Speaker 3: Just a maid, Just a maid, Just like saying.
Speaker 6: That Pradas or just shoes or Vodcas, just a morning beverage.
Speaker 1: But there's a shadow side to being so well known for one thing you've done as an artist. It can eclipse all of the other incredible work you do and the art that you create. And that's the thing about Nick and Meghan. They are true artists in love and in life and in their work. Nick and Meghan met on stage twenty five years ago and have been married for over two decades. No small feat in Hollywood, in fact, nearly impossible, And in these years they have independently produced some incredible work. Meghan has graced Broadway stages and is one half of a very cool indie band called Nancy and Bee. Nick has played searing roles in the Last of US and Civil War. Together. They've written a book about their marriage and life together called The Greatest Love Story Ever Told. And soon they're coming to Australia to perform together on stage again in a show they've called unscripted and unfiltered. So it's fitting that they'd sit down with the executive producer of this show, Naima Brown, for a No Filter chat. And you can't say it, but Nick apparently joined the call shirtless, much to naim A is delight.
Speaker 3: I am so happy to see you both. Nick.
Speaker 7: I feel like, you know, maybe we should all take our shirts off and have a really unfiltered conversation.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, let's make Sitney vivid.
Speaker 7: Let's make Sydney vivid. Megan Molalley, Nick Offerman, welcome to No Filter. It is my greatest joy to have you here with us today. Thank you.
Speaker 3: We're so happy to be here now.
Speaker 7: Yours is a marriage and a partnership that is really forged in creativity. You met a couple decades ago on stage together working together in a play. Since that time, you have collaborated in so many different ways, and I really wanted to begin by asking you each to introduce or describe each other creatively. What is it that you most admire about each other as an artist? What's your favorite work? That each other has done. Nick, I'll start with you, tell me what kind of artist Megan is.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is the best question I've ever had in an interview.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I You know, it would be easy to list what Mother Nature has has showered Meghan with by way of gifts. Physical beauty, incredible singing voice, ridiculous comedy chops, great intelligence, incredible taste.
Speaker 4: In all things with one obvious exception. But I won't.
Speaker 2: I won't rely on the easy laurels of all of those attributes because early on, when when I met Meghan and began living with her and saw her work in her various different mediums, what struck me the most about her was her incredible work ethic. Now, you know, if you were given the gifts that she was born with, I would assume I'd rest easy on my laurels and just let people feed me caviar all day. But Megan works harder than anyone I've ever seen. Whether she's preparing an evening of songs with her band or she's rehearsing like a comedy scene.
Speaker 4: She works every spare minute. She keeps working on things.
Speaker 2: You know, when she used to do will and grace, she would go into her secret laboratory and work those scenes until each one played like an incredible piece of music. And so that's my favorite thing about her talents. And so we both agree, of all the many great things that she's worked at, her performance in the movie from a couple of years ago called Dix the Musical is the greatest achant known to mankind in the field of entertainment.
Speaker 7: I have this sense he could go on and on for even longer. Nick talking about the incredible Megan and it's I have to say, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, I wish you had lunch first, because I'm not gonna be able to top that.
Speaker 7: Those are hard, that's a hard act to follow. But why don't you give it a crack, Meghan?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, Nick also has so many natural talents. I don't know who he thinks he's kidding, trying to pretend otherwise, But you know, I think one of the things that's so great about Nick too is from the first time I met him, he was so different from not just other actors, but any men i'd met, because he's so centered and secure himself and kind of knew who he was. And I think he brings that to his acting and he's always like the most popular. I have people, you know, like I'll go do a job somewhere and I'll have people from the crew coming up to me saying, I worked with your husban been on a different project, you know, eleven years ago, And I'll never forget how he knew every single person on the crew, and he knew all of their first and last names, and how many kids they have, and you know, all of that stuff. And I do think I know that that's that is a huge thing. Like I don't know if you understand, but a lot of actors don't really pay attention to They only pay attention to maybe the other actors and the director, but not to everyone. And I think Nick is very beloved by all, including me, in addition to his incredible gifts as an actor. And he's got that face, he's got those eyebrows, let's face.
Speaker 7: It, he's also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so it's so delightful.
Speaker 7: I'm so happy to have started and kind of anchored this conversation there, because I'm really curious when you are in a marriage that is also a creative partnership, but then it's also a marriage, and those come with all kinds of different things do you have to create And over the years, maybe have you gotten better at creating boundaries or a kind of separation of church and state, you know, when you're creating something together, like your vivid production, but then there's still dishes to be done, whatever those dishes might be. Metaphorically, how do you kind of tie together all the different strands of your relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I'll jump in and say that we've been pretty lucky that organically, you know, it's not like we're both working at Wall Street or something where we just have a daily, consistent grind and we're like you drop the kids off the pool, and you know that we have some kind of conflict in that direction because we're lucky enough to have different, organic, sporadic jobs. So it's you know, one of us will work for a few months, one of us will work for a weekend, and then we'll switch.
Speaker 4: One of us will work in Europe, one.
Speaker 2: Of us will work at home, and so generally we do a good job of just kind of handing off and passing the baton back and forth. And sometimes when we do something together and collaborate on a show, then we have to be a little more conscientious about you know, when do we clock out, because we're working on it at home in our living space, when do we get off the clock and say, okay, let's let's change our hats and just watch some TV now.
Speaker 3: A bit like severance, hey, kind of walking walking you're Inny and your outing.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 7: That's a bit Ana And you've collaborated on so many different kinds of things together. You've written one of my favorite books, the greatest love story ever told, a bit of a it's so great, it is so fantastic. The the photography, which I know, Megan, you aren't directed, and you know you were the vision and visionary behind just the tactile object of the book itself, and it's masterful.
Speaker 3: I will pop links in the show notes.
Speaker 7: It's obviously it's got all of your humor, both of you, and a bit of a memoir of your marriage. But it's also I think you know, our roadmap for how to for people who want to have an empathetic, creative, humor filled partnership with somebody. You've also got your podcast in Bed with Nick and Meghan, and obviously the production that you're bringing to Australia soon I'm curious to know how you resolve creative differences when you are in that collaborative space together. And Megan, I'll start with you.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I just have to trick Nick into doing things like our book. Our book is a good example, because we would wrap it up for the day and I'd be like, hey, let's do a chapter of our book and it could be like you know, and then so we recorded the book so by chapter by chapter, so family is, you know, career, whatever. Each subject was a different chapter, and so I would just say, oh, it'll be fun, and he would be resistant.
Speaker 3: I feel like they're.
Speaker 6: They're forgetting what. But I feel like there have been a lot of some other times when you are a little resistant, and I just kind of sweet talk and then trustful once he does it, and once he's doing it, he loves it and it's fun.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are many things you like Meghan has. There are things if I'm not as experienced or as practiced, then then I don't want to do those things. And Meghan is a great and gentle teacher and life coach. And a good example of that is I am. I'm a pretty mediocre singer, but Meghan encouraged me to practice and strengthen my voice, and now I'm a slightly less mediocre singer, but I have a confidence now to sing in front of an audience. And so there are many things like that. I mean, we have a real student teacher dynamic that I think I would be a fool not to be crazy about.
Speaker 7: After this short break, Nick and Meghan talked to us about how they maintain curiosity about each other after so many years together and how they feel about the characters that shut them into the stratosphere. Ron Swanson and Karen Walker stay with us. You've been married for over twenty years, which is no small feat that takes a lot of work and a lot of presence and clarity. And again, given the depth and breadth of your many collaborations, and that you're so entwined in each other's lives in ways that lots of couples aren't. Really, I'm very curious to know what you're still discovering about each other and if that has to be a kind of deliberate act to maintain a kind of curiosity about each other at this time and phase, after so many wonderful years Already in the camp.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's been pretty easy really. I mean, we don't have children. We have dogs, if that makes a difference. We don't have children, but we've always, i think, just liked each other, which I know that sounds kind of obvious, but I'm not sure that every married couple does, or maybe they do. But I think we've been really lucky in being we're both very romantic, but we're also really good friends. And so I think that recently we kind of looked at each other within the law, like six months or so, and just sided that we thought our relationship was better now than it ever happened. What do you attribute to right twenty five years. Well, I'm not really sure. Maybe, I mean, we do we've gotten a lot better at communicating. We're always pretty good at communicating.
Speaker 4: But what do you think, Conny, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had the good fortune to, you know, to ride through these two and a half decades together. As you know, as good listeners, we understand the simple truth that if you make a promise to a person that you're going to spend the rest of your lives together, you can either make it difficult or when things do get difficult. If we have disagreements, if we if we shake our fists at each other, we can say, okay, well listen, we're I still want to be live in this house with you tomorrow, So I can either compromise and find a resolution here. And so I think we just have the wherewithal to be open and keep growing. And I think one thing that really keeps me invested is that Megan has not yet allowed me to perform the full sex act upon her.
Speaker 4: And so that's kind of a carrot that's dangling.
Speaker 7: John.
Speaker 2: I mean, another twenty five years and I could strugge how you go.
Speaker 3: We're rooting for you.
Speaker 7: I want to ask when you've become so iconic and beloved to so many audiences across the world for kind of one big role that you've played. And yet I imagine you get most of your creative fulfillment, especially these days, from all of the other incredible things that you both do together and separately. And as time passes, does that become a burden or something you celebrate with grace? Megan, I'll start with you. I'm curious to know what your relationship to Karen Walker is now.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I'm grateful to have been able to play that role, and it was such a fun part to play, of course, and so well written, and they really let me bring you know, it was very collaborative, I would say, in the way that the part was created, because it wasn't written that way at the very beginning. It evolved. So it was really really amazing to be able to do that. And I sometimes see little clips of it and I'm like, wow, how did I do that? But now, you know, as the years go on, I always I'm not sure that acting was ever like my number one thing I wanted to do, Like I always loved singing and music. So but that aside, I've I've put less emphasis on acting maybe and more emphasis on other things like I have a band called Nancy and Beth that I love, and I'm starting an interior design company with my friend and I love that.
Speaker 3: It's so fun to do.
Speaker 6: And you know, I think I have another a project, like a long term project I'm working on that is more of a podcast situation, but like a written podcast scripted. But yeah, so I think that I want. I like things where I feel that I can have more autonomy. And that movie that Nick mentioned, Dick's The Musical, I felt like it was so collaborative and I was really treated as an equal, and you know, you'd be surprised, but that's not always the case. So I think things where I have a little more autonomy are the things I'm a little more drawn to right now.
Speaker 3: Nick, what's your relationship to ron sponson these days?
Speaker 2: You know, I'll always be incredibly grateful for that role. I mean, it took me from obscurity to putting me sort of on the map and led to so many other opportunities, from acting roles to writing books and touring as a humorist, and so.
Speaker 4: You know, there are much worse problems.
Speaker 2: To have than to be like associated with one huge, overarching role. I'm very grateful that the world allows me to play other things and continue to to sort of discover and flex whatever muscles I can come across as an actor.
Speaker 4: But ultimately, you know, I'm just really grateful.
Speaker 2: Like it's just getting a job as an actor is like winning the lottery. So getting one that resonates with people and that I would watch and be entertained by myself is I don't know, winning the triple lottery or something, So I would I would be happy to shake Ron's hand and then serve him mistake.
Speaker 4: If he showed up?
Speaker 3: Aren't Nick and Meghan wonderful?
Speaker 7: Look If Parks and Recreation and Will and Grace are the only exposure you've had to them, you are really in for a treat when you start to explore the great breadth of their work. And Nick and Meghan will be performing together in Australia in June. Will pop all the links that you need to book tickets and other little bits and bobs in the show notes. The executive producer of No Filter is me Naima Brown.
Speaker 3: Our senior producer is Grace Rufrey. Sound design is by Jacob Brown and Kate ling Brook. Will be back in your ears on Monday. Thank you for listening.