Speaker 1: So much you're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on. Hello, Spillers, it's Laura Brodnick and Emily Vernum here.
Speaker 3: Merry Christmas and happy holidays. If you're seeing family over the holidays, I am sure you're telling them all about how fun your year was listening to the Spill every day. So on the Spill we do a whole bunch of different stuff because we are a daily podcast and there are many hours to fill, from celebrity news to very juicy deep dives all the way to TV movie recommendations and reviews. As part of Mamma MIA's Hot Pod Summer, we're giving you fresh content all summer long, and today we're sharing one of our favorite episodes of the Spill this year.
Speaker 2: Enjoy and remember to subscribe to the Spill so you don't miss a thing that's.
Speaker 4: From Mamma Mia. Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture fix.
Speaker 2: I'm child and I'm Laura Brodnick coming up on the show today. If you don't have friends, don't worry about it. In fact, if you have friends, get rid of them, you don't need them because we have some TV shows that are going to replace them.
Speaker 4: But first we've got to talk about a uish talk show host who is currently living out her dreams. So, Laura, there is a used talk show host called Sherry Shepherd who hosts her own talk show called Sherry and she's not low key but completely and boldly obsessed with Lenny Kravitz.
Speaker 1: And aren't we all in a way? Did you see that man this week? He got a Hollywood star.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, he was wearing a shirt that was actually coming up and his daughter Zoe Kravitz because she got up and gave a speech, and Channing Tatum was there. She was like, the longest relationship you have is with C three shirts. I'm like, God, bless that man.
Speaker 4: Roasted her dad, who, like, honestly at his age, he's looking smoking anyway. So Sherry Shepherd is going quite viral for the fact that she's been saying time and time again that she wants to meet Lenny.
Speaker 2: Come public campaign. It's been popping up on my different social feeds for a while that she's obsessed with learning Krabats and wanted him on his show, Like, what's the level above obsessed. Yeah, talking but kind of getting in there totally.
Speaker 4: There was Travis Kelsey that was just a little sent to this is talking on level before I melt in my seat and sweat out my wig.
Speaker 1: We have got to bring him out.
Speaker 2: Please welcome the legendary Lenny Kravat.
Speaker 1: We're on the wrong side.
Speaker 2: Okay, then I'm gonna stay right on this side.
Speaker 1: I can't like I was wondering where you're going. I can't stop staring at your chest.
Speaker 4: For a Oh god, it's so true about the fact that he looks like he wants to have sex.
Speaker 2: Who always what a lovely demeanor to have. But look this paid off for her. Her campaign worked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we came on the show and she screams like a schoolgirl. She just gets all young and giddy, and honestly, it's all because.
Speaker 2: She's like the professional TV personality. She's been on talk shows in America for decades and you know, hosting really big shows like The View, and now she's got her own talk shows, so she's not normally like this is the interesting thing when I saw this clip, Like she's usually very bubbleting side it, but she lost her mind when Lenny Kravi came on Stane and then when he sat down and she leans forward and just puts her hands on his bare chest and she's like, sorry, I just have to And then then it's like she has this moment that's just him and her chest alone in a room, and as a painted all, yeah, it's insane.
Speaker 5: Seriously, it's like your photo shot.
Speaker 2: And look, I get it. Sometimes you can be a professional and then you meet your ultimate crush and no matter how seasoned you are and how you are to sort of keeping your cool around celebrities, you're gonna freak out and lose your mind.
Speaker 4: Do you revert to your teenage self? So elve, who would you lose your shit if you met he?
Speaker 2: Have had to think about it. I feel like you think you know.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, I do, the guy from The Walking Dead, because every time you mentioned him, you revert into that teenage girl.
Speaker 2: I know, so Norman readers, he's my TV crush. I do turn down interviews with him a lot, so it was like, I can't be in the same room as him. But I do think if I met him, the illusion would be gone. Like I don't think he'd be as sexy in real life as his character is in The Walking Dead. I guess, like you know, bare arms, crossbow killing walkers. I think the only person I might truly lose my mind over. I mean, look, I'm not gonna say no like a Brad Peet or something like that. I'm sure if I was in a room with him, I would still lose my mind a little bit because I feel like he's got that old school movie star charisma. I think it would be Jensen Acles.
Speaker 1: Who is that?
Speaker 2: Oh that kills me. I've been in love with this man since I was fourteen. He was on all those like teen supernatural shows when I was a teenager, So he was on Dark Angel, he was on small Ville, and then he was the co star in Supernatural with Dared Peladecki that ran for over ten years.
Speaker 1: Do you know Jared yep?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you see it right? But I who But I mean, look at that but look at that face.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's really but it's not face.
Speaker 2: You can have a crazy good looking man and he's got no personality, no charisma. I know people don't think it's true, but when you I've talked to a lot of dumb hot men in my time, it goes away on the show. He's character Not only is he killing wances and demons and stuff, but he's got so much charisma, so much attitude. And then also he does all these live shows where he tours around with Jared, which is such nerdy okay, talking to fans, and he's just so hot and charismatic in real life. But I think if I was ever in a room with him, well, I wouldn't be I would remove myself from the situation. I would lose my mind. Where who who's your crush? Who your mind over?
Speaker 4: I've really thought about this because I made sure that they weren't it's important.
Speaker 2: Oh okay married, to be fair, that's not what's stopping us from being together.
Speaker 4: Now now I've really thought it through. So I was thinking about who is to you? And to be honest, I haven't met nearly as many celebrities you know, I've met. I've been a few, and at the end of the day, they're just people, my people.
Speaker 1: Michael B. Jordan.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, but you've got a list of more than one. Yeah, but two okay, sure, yeah, Michael B. Jordan, I can see that you would lose your mind. You two would lean forward and put your.
Speaker 4: Hands on I would just not just stop, I just start flirting with him, like way too much.
Speaker 1: I just aggressively flat.
Speaker 4: And then the one person i'd probably is my shit with more than anyone. I read it in capital letters of my note. Very cute. Again, really don't you see personality as well?
Speaker 1: Like did you do you think does he have a personality?
Speaker 4: Have we seen that Vanity Fair video that he did that he did with his bare bottom and just that cheeky little smile and he's a huge Killing Murphy supporter, and he's irish, and okay.
Speaker 2: You're listening things to be good that are like good on paper or good to talk about. If you were really standing eye level because he's really sure, if you were staying eye level with that, I'd still be sure that with that weedy, kind of pale man, nothing against that.
Speaker 1: I told you we are different, Like no, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I know mine was a bit of a beefcake because I'm a basic bitch. But I'm just saying I think his personal I would really have to shine for you to lose your mind. Otherwise you would just be like, oh, it's just not the guy.
Speaker 1: I just guess no one makes me getting like a school.
Speaker 2: Girl so she's dead, and well, now it's my goal in life to get you in a room with Barry so I can see this experiment come to fruition. Say would happen?
Speaker 4: Just play it on the dance floor to strip down. I'd be like, yeah, I'm already sweating a little bit coming up.
Speaker 2: On the show today. As we said, get rid of your friends, because we have the TV shows about female friendships and also some pretty epic weekend watches. I missed a few episodes of the pod recently because I was, you know, often about at home at work things, and if I had been here, my weekend watch pick that I would have been screaming from the rooftops was Girls five Ever, Season three?
Speaker 1: How are we going to get her for the reunion summer? There's no reunion.
Speaker 2: Don't say that was that good.
Speaker 1: I've tried out for the House File. I was like eight times.
Speaker 2: It's on Netflix's this show that was executive produced by Tina Fey, and it's got the best cast at Sarah barrellis, Busy Phillips, Paula pelle renee Elise Goldsbury, and it was canceled by the like original studio in America who was running it, and then Netflix picked it up and they've given it this big life that they've done before with shows like Shit's Creek, so it came back for season three. It's about this girl group who in the nineties had this massive hit and then had break up, and that it picks up like twenty years later when they're all in their forties, where they bring the band Girls five Ever back together for another shot at fame. And it's got great music and all this stuff. But what I really loved about it as I turned on season three when I was in one of my various hotel rooms traveling for work recently, it was so tired, and I turned on Girls for I've Ever and it was like this warm hug because it's so rare that you see TV shows that are so centered on not just four female leads but their friendship, like the warmth of humor, the complexities of it. And it just made me so happy, and it's not something we see very often.
Speaker 4: It's not I fine, when we go to watch those comfort shows, which you are about female friendship, we end up going back to shows that are a few years old or even decades old, because they're just not getting made as much these days. It's despite so many women want to watch them, oh one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Like we've always seen from like you know, data, that what stays in trend and what shows become cult classics is so often they are centered on female friendship. This is going back into like you know, thirty forty years ago in TV with shows like Laverne and Shirley. You won't live there, neither was I to be Fair that was sent on two best friends. But also look at Golden Girls and like, what a massive legacy that was seen that came out in nineteen eighty five and we're still talking about today and we still reference it, like that was kind of the original show centered on female friendship. And then there's been little bursts over the years, but they always kind of never really critically acclaimed. They're always seen there's a bit frothy and a bit silly. And there's a moment that sticks in my mind a couple of years ago when a few different shows came to an end and they were the Bold Type and Younger, both brilliant shows.
Speaker 1: I loved those teams.
Speaker 2: I love them. I still watch them over and over again. Both I'm Younger again, oh my god, watch it again. Obviously that was also about work and romance. I told her right now, yes, sorry, I said it had female friendship at the center. But you had these shows Younger and bold type. They came to an end around the same time. And as that happened, there were all of these cultural think pieces saying, thank god, like we're seeing the death of the girl Boss on TV. Thank god, these frothy shows are coming to an end, and there was like this celebration that this era of television was over. And that made me so angry because I want to watch shows about women being friends and I want to watch these shows where you see friendships treated with equal intensity and sensitivity as a romantic relationship. And yes, both these shows are a bit frothy and silly at times, but that's fine, Like you want to see that. I feel like, then shows about female friendship go out of fashion, and then we're just left with so many shows where we're seeing people being raped and murdered because they can be seen as prestige dramas, and so we get to watch those, or we're seeing this flood of reality TV where you see women screaming each other and fighting and having these really dramatic relationships. There's a place for that as well, But I just wish there was more of a place with female friendship on TV and it wasn't seen as frothy, and it wasn't being replaced with women being killed, Like I don't want to watch that. I want to see women going get coffee together and have these complex friendships and have those kind of dynamics on TV.
Speaker 4: The timing of it all as well, it was the death of the Girl Boss in general. Everyone was proudly saying that we're done with this, We're done.
Speaker 1: With the hustle around, which was such a shame.
Speaker 4: After years of rejecting what like Sophia Russo did with Nasty Gal, we were really trying to we were talking more about work life balance, So it wasn't just the shows that we were rejecting. It was kind of the whole idea of The Girl Boss in general. So I really do hope that these type of shows do come back because we are really missing that. And the thing is, if you speak to any of your female friends, most of them will say when they're having a bad week or they just want to snuggle up and watch something that makes them feel good. It'll always be a show about female friendships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a very common fitting place for us to sit in. And also, as like I've written about so much, I know, like you're so aware that finding friends in adulthood is such a difficult thing, especially now. And I'm not saying I know. I was joking at the top about you don't need friends, you can have TV shows. It's not completely true, but I think, especially like in lonely moments or vulnerable moments, you crave TV shows that show you friendship because that's what we're craving in real life.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and these characters become a part of your world. So I thought I would mention two of my favorite TV shows about female friendships. And one's not surprising at all. It is Sex and the City, and that is because it is the show that, really, for so many women is the pinnacle of just the female friendship that you want.
Speaker 1: Maybe we could be each other so much.
Speaker 5: And then we could let men be just these great, nice guys to have fun with.
Speaker 4: And the funny thing is we were talking about before we were recording that a lot of people actually haven't.
Speaker 2: Seen Yes, because I was nearly going to ridicule you for bringing that up because it seemed like a kind of a sort of basic bitch, but it's like a very obvious anta. I am a basic, but as am I very proudly. But then there are so many people, especially younger women in our office, who when I mentioned Sex and the City like never seen it and don't desire to see it because they're like, oh, no, that's an old show. It's not for me, and it has obviously it's aged badly in some parts. But the core of it of like female friendships and how those who will become your family, I think has really like holds up today in a way that so many other TV shows don't.
Speaker 1: So just if you haven't watched it, start it. If you have, it's all on again.
Speaker 4: All six seasons are on Bitch second recommendation. There are only two seasons sadly, but our audience and I think all of our office really got into it.
Speaker 1: Firefly Lane on Netflix. You can't go a whole day without talking to me. It's too much. I need you for my soulmate me.
Speaker 5: Bitch, You're the bitch.
Speaker 4: Bitch.
Speaker 1: It's a comfort show.
Speaker 4: It is about two female friends who meet as young girls on Firefly Lane. You just watch them over the next thirty years. It's Katherine Heigl and Sarah Chalk and it just follows them over their trajectory of their lives.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's a goodie.
Speaker 4: It's a shame it got cancer up for season two, but I still recommend watching both of them.
Speaker 2: Well, coming up next, more recommendations on friendship. Oz got real wholesome all of a sudden, and then we can watch Okay, I feel like this one gets brought up more as like an iconic comedy, but for me, it is the pinnacle of female friendship on TV. And it's a show called broad City. Yes, can watch it on stan It's this amazing, very intense comedy. And it's Alana Glazier and Abby Jacobson who were best friends and like co creators in real life, and they made this web series about these two best friends called Abby and Alana living New York and all these crazy adventures they go through. And it's not the typical best friends living in New York. It's very much like you see, kind of like the rougher side of it, and like not having any money, living in a basic apartment, all that sort of stuff, but it is so very funny. And Amy Poehler saw their web series and became aware of the show and kne as an executive producer and blew it up to this big, critically acclaimed comedy series that it turned into. And like they go on you know, Weird Dates as a very iconic episode about pegging, just like it's so good, it's so funny, and they go on these absurdist adventures, but the heart of it always is the fact that their friendship is the core. So that's on stand. You should watch that. And the second one I'm gonna go with is Dead to Me on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Oh I love Dead to Me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Christy and Applegate, Linda Cardlini. And also I love that a lot of these kind of stories are childhood best friends and like friends who have been like around each other in their early twenties, like Sex and the City is very much like that Broad City. You know, they're in their twenties and that's how they become friends. So I feel like a lot of shows centering younger friendship or friendship like Firefight Lane that started from childhood, whereas Dead to Me is two in their forties they come together over not a spoiler. I feel like everyone's sort of across the show now, but you know, one HiT's the other one's husband with their car, and it's all secret and then it comes out and they hide dead bodies together and stuff. But I just love that you can find this crazy new friendship in your forties and it's so complex between these women and obviously this massive secret comes out between them, but it doesn't change where their friendship is and they become each other's like complete Ride or Die. Christina Applegate and Linda CARDLINI are so good in it right together. They really are defining performances. So that's on Netflix. I feel like most people have watched it, but if you haven't watched it, or if you've seen a rewatch, like I think it really hords out for sure as a rewatch and like more TV shows about female friendship, it's all I want to watch and not women getting murdered.
Speaker 1: The weekend Watch.
Speaker 4: Okay, so on to weekend watch, and I have a movie that I'm really looking forward to watching.
Speaker 1: So people probably don't know this.
Speaker 4: I love a biopic, huge fan of biopic and they twist about you. Yeah, and the more you know, so There's a new Netflix biopic that comes out today.
Speaker 1: It's called Shirley. I have something I want to tell you. I am running for President of the United States, unpeaving the rule for a lot of other people looking like me to get elected.
Speaker 4: For broadcast first black representative.
Speaker 1: You sound just like every other politician? Do I look like every other politician?
Speaker 5: Truly?
Speaker 1: It killed win, and why can't I win? I have an opportunity to make a difference. I don't think I'm special. I just want to remind people what it's possible.
Speaker 5: You won't do all that.
Speaker 1: I'm a schoolteacher from Brooklyn. Harriet was just a sleeve. Rosa was just a domestic. So it's based the true story of Shirley Chisholm.
Speaker 4: She was the first black congresswoman and the movie follows her run for US president in nineteen seventy two, which is just completely groundbreaking. Rigita King, who I love, plays Shirley, but also stars the late Lance Reddick, Terrence Howard, and Lucas Hedges. Firstly, the trailer looks amazing, and secondly, it's directed by Academy Award winner John Ridley, who wrote Twelve Years a Slave, and it's from the executive producers of two of my favorite films, Judas and the Black Bessie and Spotlight. Yeah, just a big fan and it's already got me in the heart strings. I bot goose bumps, and that's what I'm sadly in for this weekend.
Speaker 1: So it's Sureley on Netflix. It's dropped today.
Speaker 2: I think we've accidentally done a bit of a girl power episode. I think we have with our recommendations and our chat. I don't hate it now. My recommendation is the girls on the bus.
Speaker 5: Here we are for political reporters, rivals, vicious competitors getting entirely out of control. Why because with state of American politics is the state of our own lives. Twenty six cities and fourteen states in five days. I'm going to remain detached, objective.
Speaker 1: And mostly sober. How did you get this number? It's a serious shit. They need to work together.
Speaker 5: Oh oh to your on the record is off the record to being stuck on that bus?
Speaker 1: Would you crazy?
Speaker 4: Bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a political comedy, which they don't usually go together. I would say it's a bit more comedic and like dramaedy. Then it is a political kind of satire that people were really expecting. And it tells the story of these four female journalists who are following this group of very flawed presidential candidates. And it's like their story, as when presidential candidates go on the road often like the same group of journalists will follow them around for months reporting on their events and their interviews and their campaign and all that sort of stuff. And so it's the story of these women and like their friendship and the love stories they have, the scandals they get involved in. And what's super interesting is that it was co created and produced by Amy Chozik, who is an American writer journalist who previously worked at the New York Times, and she was on the campaign trail with Hillary Clinton and the woman saw some stuff. So then she wrote a book about her time on the campaign trail and everything she saw, and the book is called Chasing Hillary. So Girls on the Bus is based on her memoir. And it's got a great cast. Melissa Bernost is in there, who a lot of people know from Glee and Supergirl. The rest of the cast is great. I don't know, I just like quite like it. Like it's not hard hitting political satire, it's not a really intense comedy. It's just kind of an interesting watch. Episodes of Dropping Weekly. There are two out now on Binge if you're just looking for something else to watch that's based on a real story.