Speaker 1: You're listening to Amma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mama Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 1: Whoever said orange is a new pink with seriously disturbed laurels for spraying groundbreaking? Oh my god, you have to do it. You live for fashion.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Nothing to It, the podcast that solves fashion problems and levels up your wardrobe. I'm Lee Campbell, and every week I talk to an expert who helps us work out how to get more out of the clothes we already own and tells us exactly what is and isn't worth adding to our wardrobe.
Speaker 1: What if I told you.
Speaker 2: There's a fashion hack that could simplify your wardrobe, take the stress out of planning outfits, and makes shopping feel less of at are Well, there is one. It's set dressing. You know, they're called matching coords or just separates or sets, but they are back and it's not just about being casual. There's options for travel, there's options for going out, and there's even options for workwear. So joining me today to talk all things co boreds and sets is the Queen of effortless style page Carmichael Page is a fashion content creator and influencer, and she has a decade of experience in marketing for global fashion brands, as well as being a hilarious fashion powerhouse on Instagram herself. So this episode, Paige and I are going to chat about how to mix and match separates, what to look for, how many pockets we need in a piece, and everything in between.
Speaker 1: My friend Page, Hi, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen you for a while, but we've worked together many moons ago in different worlds. Yes, past lives, past lives, and now you are the best. We've always been the best. But your Instagram is so helpful and so fun, and we're going to talk about some of that in a minute. But first I need you to describe your style in three words.
Speaker 1: First word, Lee would be constipated. And I say that because style fashion it's not something that comes naturally to me. That's a lie. But continue it doesn't, and it's something that when I wake up every day I have to push for. I see, I see, And I don't know why. This was the first word that I love it and I never I can tell you, in the history of this podcast, we've never had this. Okay, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but that would be it. And I think since working in fashion retail, it's gotten easier. But I really envy those people whose word is like effortless. I will never be one of those people.
Speaker 2: However, I believe they want to be effortless, but they're putting an effort behind the scenes to look effortless.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I think.
Speaker 2: You know, so maybe you start constipated, but then you're unblocked and.
Speaker 1: You look effortless. Yeah that's the dream.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow, we need to invent like a medicine that unconstipates your fashion, please do podcast is word number.
Speaker 1: Two number two versatile because my style very much depends on where I am in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you travel a lot, you live in Queensland, your partner's from the UK.
Speaker 1: Yes, always in Sydney. Always in Sydney, and I feel like the style is quite different between those three places. And then of course it depends on what I'm doing. But yes, it's mostly where I am. I've just got back from the UK, so style there's very functional, it's very cold at the moment.
Speaker 2: So when you say versatile, then you try and make your wardrobe work in different places, but it's how you put it together for where you go exactly.
Speaker 1: And just being in the UK recently it was five degrees and I wore a dish dress, but underneath the dishtress I had thermals smart so I could still wear those pieces. Firstile love, that's second word. I'm intrigued by number three. What is it? Number three is comfortable And I say that because at the very start of my career I worked for a very controversial lingerie company, Yes, where we were required to wear lingerie under sheer, blousers, high heels, and a full face makeup every single day. Wow. And in a corporation of like hundreds of people. I sat directly opposite the CEO, so what I wore every day was scrutinized. And I remember one day even coming in in a Shabbari bra, which is essentially a rope oh and after and a top on toop. No, actually no, the bra was kind of like the top o, the rope, it was all there. Wow, So but you were uncomforted. I was uncomfortable. So after I left that job, and especially as I've started becoming more freelance life it's comfort is something that I won't compromise on. Agreed, everyone's to day when you're uncomfortable. It does, Yeah, it really does.
Speaker 2: Okay, next question before we get into the topic, is ten percent of your ordrobe you wear ninety percent of the time. So the stuff that's on high rotation, the poor ninety percent sitting in the back. I mean, I feel like you're pretty good at this, But what's in your ten percent you're most worn, you're most reached for.
Speaker 1: So ten percent of my wardrobe would be sets coords. And I say that because the sets drown in comparison to the amount of dresses I own. I feel like dresses are very easy to buy and impulse buy because there's always an occasion, there's always an trend, and it's one and done. It's one and done and it's great. But what I'm always reaching for are the sets.
Speaker 2: Okay, whether that's together, I'll mixed to match exactly, let's jump straight into it. So sets, coords, whatever you want to call them, matching bits and pieces are more popular than ever before.
Speaker 1: Much to me is dismayed. She feels like they're on the way out. They are not.
Speaker 2: No, you're a fan, So let's talk about set dressing.
Speaker 1: Have you always loved sets, whatever you want to call them, I love them personally because you'll find a set to compliment your style, whatever it is. I feel like you'll also find a set to match a trend. I've seen a lot of animal print sets, a lot of buddy yellow sets at the moment, buddy yellow, Oh my gosh. Yes. And I also feel like there is a set for every occasion, whether you're just working from home and you lounge wess set, or you've got big business meeting and you want to dress up a little bit. Suit is a set?
Speaker 2: Ah That was basically my next question. It's like you've done this before. So I've traditionally thought of sets as, like, you know, relatively affordable brands. It's usually shorts or a palazzo pant and a shirt, and they're usually printed. They're the sets I traditionally sort of had in my wardrobe until recently, and the times I put them on, my five year old said, Mummy, you can't take me to school on your pajamas.
Speaker 1: Why are you wearing your pajamas? So how do we avoid that? In that case, you would dress it up with a heel, a beautiful hambag. It's all in styling, isn't it.
Speaker 2: And also maybe if you're not into sets yet and you don't want to look like on your pjs, don't go for printed because I think sometimes it's the prints that can make it feel a bit PJ.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, maybe block colors and the material as well. The SATs knee set, yeah, that is reminiscent ofjama.
Speaker 2: And when I think of sets, that's what I think of straight away. But obviously it's broadened so much lately that you can get absolutely everything. What do you look for in a colword set? Do you like them to literally come in a set with this one price? Do you like to buy the top and bottom set set? Are you a skirt? Are you a pant? What are you looking for? What are your favorite sets at home? What's so great about them?
Speaker 1: It depends on the occasion. I have some really extra pj's style sets that's great for a special occasion, you know, especially with feather trims and all that fun style. A help and a heel, but day to day it has to be hard working. It has to fit into my lifestyle. And there's one set in particular, the moment that I'm literally wearing every second day, not together but as separate. Okay. And it's a pin stripe short and shirt set, like you said, very big in summer. But I just love with the shorts at the moment. I'm wearing them with an oversized tee, a tank with my swimwear when I go to the beach, and then with a shirt Nimble, Sydney based female founder brand beautiful so great. Yes, And the shirt is great because it looks like a regular button up shirt, but it is perfect for travel. It's crease resistant, this particular shirt that I'm loving. It's got little holes under the arms for breatheability. And the step combined has five pockets.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say pockets. That's what I look for for some reason. I mean, I want pockets in everything. But if it's a dress, I'm like, all right, fine. But if there's shorts and they don't have pockets, that should be illegal.
Speaker 1: Absolute and they need to be d pockets. Yes, I need to be able to put things in there, like my lip balm or my keys or I don't even know what, but I'm on that absolutely. Okay.
Speaker 2: Now you buy a set and you wear them separately. This is a question I have, which is quite a niche, but it came up on another episode. My friend Amy Star said, when she wears sets separately, she still washes them together, so they wash and wear at the same rate. So it's not like the top gets like older. You know, obviously the shorts are still brand new.
Speaker 1: Do you do that? No, but I need to do that right now because I have that problem that these, particularly the shorts, because it's been so hot, I'm wearing the shorts more than the shirt, and there's a slight color variation. Isn't that clever? That is so clear? So she says, wash it like its address. She's smart, I know she. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: So obviously the joy of a set is you're getting one look at two pieces. How do we get the most out of mixing and matching obviously depends on what the pieces are. Are they printed, are they whatever? And it's obvious to go jeans with the shirt, white tea. Talk to me about how you get the absolute most out of both pieces.
Speaker 1: Easiest possible way. If you're looking at your own wardrobe right now in the warmer months, it's great to mix and matches sets with linen. So yesterday I had a lunch data Bistro c with my partner and NSA darling and I was wearing half of a palm Noosa coored. It was beautiful, quite a loud printed pants and I just paired it back with just a linen white shirt in my wardrobe been there for years.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm going to put you on the spot, my friend page, because I bore a cord set for you.
Speaker 1: I thought you would, but that's okay. I have I've worn the top of a corn Oh, but I have paed back with the denim. Yeah, that does as I really like it. Well, see if I wore this with the pants, it actually is a pajama top. But all the cool girls in London are just wearing them.
Speaker 2: Collar okay, so well for people that aren't in the studio, which is everyone, I am wearing a Maxi skirt knitted that's kind of ribbed and it's light blue and khaki. And then the cardigan. It's a long sleeve cardigan with the collar and buttons. Yes, how do we get the most out of this guy?
Speaker 1: I think you would have to stay within that fabrication, so I would maybe put a knitted like, but stay in the neutrals. Yeah, stay within that color family. Maybe an oversized blazer, oh yeah, exactly cool. But I think sometimes we overcomplicate things. A pair of jeans exactly and a pair of jeans with that, or a trench over the top of that set. We both love a trench, don't we. I mean, is yeah? Perfect?
Speaker 2: Now I want to talk about your style more broadly because I feel like everything I see on Instagram, obviously you're over your constipation.
Speaker 1: You've got an outfit on.
Speaker 2: And you always feel very harmonious, which I guess is you know, a version of sort of matching. Like I feel like it's very thought out. Do you aim for that? Do you plan your outfits? How do you get dressed? You try and think about it the night before, because for the people looking at your Instagram, they don't know your fashion constipated. You're always very harmonious.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That's a huge compliment coming from you. Thank you. I really appreciate it. It's very thought out. Because I travel a lot, I actually have a system for packing where I get out all of my clothes, I think that, I guess, and then I try them all on mix and match them. I take a photo of that complete look, including accessories, and then I save it in an album for that trip. So by the time, exactly by the time I get there, instead of looking at my suitcase overwhelmed and thinking I've nothing to wear, I'm going to go out and buy something, I've already got all of my outfits in there. Like clueless comes up on the screen. There's when I.
Speaker 2: Lows my mind. I pack like a raging toddle of the night before. So well then it's thought out and I'm guessing. Back to travel, you take a lot of sets because of the versatility.
Speaker 1: A lot of sets, a lot of sets because travel is my work in a way. I'm constantly in one particular set, which is just an elevated lounge were set. And there's one set that I have worn for over one hundred and eighty hours long haul in the past eighteen months alone. Okay, wow, and thet I've worn it a lot, and apparently it was designed just to be worn to and from yoga, and I was like, this is so comfortable. I could wreak it to the other side of the world and then do yoga. It's another nimble number, but okay, you like a nimbo. It's I just think it's comfy, but it's stylish. It's just key for long haul travel. And then you throw over a trench a cat, you know, your beautiful suitcase and it's just it's chic, very comfortable. So when that plane bloat here, yeah, you're all good. Totally.
Speaker 2: I want to ask because sets are matching, right, So we're wearing a set, But then the whole other world of fashion is kind of like clashing or you know, the wrong shoe theory. Copenhagen Fashion Week is all about stuff that doesn't go together, that kind of goes together, where as sets very much of the opposite of that. It's like this is on purpose to all match. Yes, can someone have both styles? Do you think or how do you feel about that?
Speaker 1: Are you? I'm sure some people can. I've seen it, like you said, I've seen the clashing print. My mom the other day just all she didn't mean to. She came out of the beach and she was just wearing all these different prints. That's cool. It didn't but you know cool.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, but but you know the Copenhagen like the sheer skirt with the biker jacket, then the weird shoes. So they're kind of two streams happening in fashion right now.
Speaker 1: So are you definitely not that clashing one? No, okay. I think it's all about confidence, isn't it the end of the day, Like some of these girls you see, especially you know, you were just Europlashtar, I was just there. If you walk down the street with confidence and you are literally wearing pajamas, but two different pajama sets, and you've got confidence, then go for it. Yeah me personally, No.
Speaker 2: Okay, the harmonious yes, okay. Materials. Do you avoid synthetics? Do you try and go for natural fabric?
Speaker 1: I try to, but the heart wants what the heart wants. If I see a set that I love that print, I'm like, I'll make it. I'll sweat, Yeah, totallyat, And you might wear, you know, the shorts with the cotton tank. And I think, not just sets, but in all my clothes for longevity, I always look for natural fabrics your cottons, Lina. It's especially living in a hot place. Denim that's best. But it's not.
Speaker 2: Always that okay, But yeah, I've bought some really cute, affordable sets with them.
Speaker 1: The top. I'm like two.
Speaker 2: Shitzy, so I try and look at fabrication, but I'm the same sets for different occasions. What do you look for in a set for travel?
Speaker 1: Travel knitted? What color like? I wouldn't wear black on a plane because lint sticks to it. You know what I love on a plane? I love it's a zip top, so that if you need that extra warmth, you can zip up. If not, that half zip is really good. Take it down.
Speaker 2: Okay, good a set for the weekend, what are you looking for? Describe it to me?
Speaker 1: Something fun. I might go all out and wear a feather trim set girls drinks.
Speaker 2: My next one was going out like that's probably that weekend you know markets brunch? Is that like a cute little shorts and short sleeve shirt.
Speaker 1: I would have to go for a short and shirt set, you know, when you just put like a tank underneath, just to break it up. I think that's what we haven't talked about. Double denim. That's by far again. Another one of my favorites that I've been wearing on repeat is a denim set. But it's made from cotton, so it's like denim look, but it's lighter like a chambre almost. Yes, yeah, that's what I got one. I don't know how to pronounce it. Sarah's Life set.
Speaker 2: You know that, Yes, yes, And it's a short sleeve shirt and a shorts but not too short paperbag waist and I wear them both separately and I love them, to.
Speaker 1: Love them, and if you just break it up with the tank, I feel like we've both got the same inner Pelly Tang. Yes, yes, a little logo. I still love that. I know that that was big last year, but it's just adds a little something.
Speaker 2: Denim's sets are great to pack for travel because they just literally go with everything. Okay, you've said going out, so that's your like sex and the city stuff. Yes, wow, okay, so there's sets for more occasions. It's funny because I did think straight away, oh sets like yeah, linen shorts and a linen shirt, but it's so much more than that.
Speaker 1: Well, I just came from a meeting and both of the other girls were wearing one part of a set. There you go, maybe they got changed in the bathroom. It's very expensive. How wondre the percent? All right?
Speaker 2: My friend paid the best part Foushian budget, So we've both brought a set. You're going to do your budget set first, so you're wearing the top.
Speaker 1: This is Damse and matter is I've never heard of it. It is a London based slow fashion brand. And this is in fact pajamas. Yes, because that big collar is very in right now. Yes, the big collar is in. And what I love about it is it's quite unique. Like if I walk out into the street, I'm not going to see anyone else.
Speaker 2: I like it, but it looks like you work at a candy store or something because it's like a burgundy and white stripe and then it's got a frilly lollypink collar and some bows.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. There's a lot going on and I think it's that sort of Copenhagen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very fashion. What are the bottoms like, because you're wearing jeans at that now.
Speaker 1: The bottoms are straight pajamas. That's the stripe. Yes, okay, but I'm wearing jeans now and I've got a gold heel on. I think what makes the top pop is some gold, chunky jewelry gold shoe. Like the jeans. I would not wear the pants out, although I have seen London girls wearing the pants with the top that I just couldn't.
Speaker 2: Would you wear the pants with like a white tea or is that still too no?
Speaker 1: That would literally look like I was getting into bed. So for you, the bottoms are pajamas and the bottom goinga so I actually wore them on Christmas Day in England. So I bought this in December and I've worn it at least five or six times in England and in Australia. It's it's cotton, looks very like it. So do you know the price roughly? So it's about eighty five pounds for this set, but it's available on the Iconic and it's on sale stop the Iconic, Yes, and it's slow fashion so they only do limited drops. It's all organic cotton, and I just love the ethos behind the brand. It's a beautiful brand. I love hearing about a brand I've not heard of, So thank you, all right.
Speaker 2: My set is sold separately, so the top and the bottoms, or you could just buy one or the other. Obviously there's no police going to make you buy both. From the Cuba, it's the aline embroidered shirt which is one hundred and twenty bucks, or if you're remember one hundred and seven and page. Let me show you on my computer.
Speaker 1: It's like a.
Speaker 2: Sheer, meshy short sleeve shirt. De Cuba is killing it. I bought a set last year to wear like a little macrame kind of skirt and shirt.
Speaker 1: I love them both. I wear them separately. I should have won that today. That's chea.
Speaker 2: So this has got you know. It's an oversized shirt. It's quite sheer and you'd wear like a bra or a tank short sleeves, and then like big applicuet flowers that's the top. And then if you want to wear it together, the lane embroidered pant is a long sheer pants.
Speaker 1: How cool are they?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: I feel like that you could mix a match more than the set that you're wearing totally.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this would be so easy to mix and match. And so the pants are again one hundred and twenty dollars and they're just so beautiful. They've got little shorts in them, like the shorts lining so that you're not sheer showing your bum. It's just such a beautiful applice like white looking very resort. But you could mix and match it and make it very evening.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I feel like, that's a good price point considering how much detail is in that set.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we'll just get one or the other. But I'm going to get both. What's bougie.
Speaker 1: My bougie is the Sleeper set. So if you know they're known for their so the brand is called Sleep, it's called Sleeper, and they are known for their iconic feather trim, so feathers around the cuffs and around the ankles. Surely I think I've got a set that I was given. It's got to be real silk for that price, or is it that it depends? There as silk sets, there's cotton sets, there's linen sets. They do a whole race. I did not realize. Yes, And I love them because they're just really special occasions. So if you've got a special event, we don't want to compromise on comfort. You want to have a great time, you want to drink. And it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Like wearing a suit, but it's not a structured it's like a bottom, yea bottom and top. How do you launder those with the feathers? Are they removable?
Speaker 1: I have not launded them. Surely they just air them them A slight champagne smell never hurt anybody. I love it. And do you know the price of those? I think they're expensive. So sets you back around seven hundred, eight hundred dollars. However, said you fifty sales, so currently they have a fifty.
Speaker 2: Cells and as a thrifter and online shop, I see them a lot of time on secondhand website, so there's like a good resale value and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I actually got a feather number from Deep Pop. Actually what color? Black? No, this was the thing. So Kate Moss has been seen wearing their black set as separates, which is bold, so it's like feather pants. And she's seen coming out of some business meeting in a blazer in the feather pants. Oh that's she, yeah, she. And then Margot Robbie has been spotted wearing the pink one but as a set. Who when she did when she did Barbie? So but me personally, I've got the latest mocka moose. I would love one crown at the moment, so I'm just like it's gorgeous, Okay, my next one again all sorts.
Speaker 2: There's three items. Should you like to get a drink? I know so Victoria and Woods. I adore quite an expensive brand if you're gonna get everything, but you don't have to. So let's start with the top. It's got the Fury top. It's a logo print strapless knit top. Children twenty dollars for the top. Wow, it's like a boob tube, quite longline, white based with like a navy geometric prints.
Speaker 1: So that's the top. How is it? Three princes?
Speaker 2: You just wait, my friend. Then the pants are well, same print, but they're also a knit, so would be really good for travel. The Cirrus Pant logo print, wide leg knit pant three hundred and fifty dollars just for the but there are knits, so it could be good for travel. I mean the print is very out there, so it's very much there's those pants, there's that toss, but.
Speaker 1: I very hate blue. Is it blue?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a white base with like a blue geometric shape on it.
Speaker 1: That's very coolly.
Speaker 2: And then if you want to go full look, there's a bomber jacket. The Insomnia Cardi logo print cardigan two hundred and ninety dollars.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought you're going to say like a short or a there's a whole look bomber.
Speaker 2: So you could always do like the knitted pants and bomber for travel if you want it or whatever. And then that top is so beautiful, like I imagine that boobtube top with a white.
Speaker 1: Linen skirt, linen shorts, denim. I think at this point I'd probably just get the top because also, all up, that's about one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: But I love Victorian Woods, and just researching this episode really made me realize how many separates as dish calls at all coords there are. There's so much more than I ever thought.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I think if you want somewhere to start, look to your favorite brands that have the style you like, have the fabrications you like, because chances are they do a set.
Speaker 2: Yes, and just go on the website and find that category which I've never really looked for.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that as a bomber. I've never seen a bomber set. I really want that top.
Speaker 2: That's cool page. I love having you here. You're funny, you're hilarious. I know you live Anoosa, so maybe we'll fly out to record next time. Otherwise, will you come back down.
Speaker 1: I would love to. It's been a pleasure. Thank you, Thank you, for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for listening to Nothing to Wear. Don't forget to sign up to our Nothing to Wear newsletter. There's a link in the show notes, and it's free. This episode was produced by Cassie Merritt, with audio production by Lou Hill.
Speaker 1: See you next week.