Speaker 1: Out louders, Hello and welcome to MoMA Mia out loud. It's what we've been actually talking about on Friday, the twenty fourth of July. I should have taken a breath.
Speaker 2: Yea, thank you.
Speaker 1: I was running out of air as I got to the end of our done this before I know what has.
Speaker 3: Happened to me.
Speaker 2: I was when you started just going wow, she's really bringing it.
Speaker 1: Today, high energy, and then I'll run out and puff. I'm sorry, out louders. My name's Holly Wayne right, I'm m Vernon.
Speaker 2: I'm Meya Friedman, and I have not peaked too soon, thank god, thank god, there's a professional in the house.
Speaker 1: Here's what's made our agenda for today. There's a very whimsical cure for doom scrolling that EM tells me it's the saddest thing she's ever heard.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm sorry. It was great.
Speaker 4: Plus, before you sit down, have you ever thought about why you chosen that exact seat.
Speaker 3: In the middle.
Speaker 2: Also, I have hit news about my hair. I've got a recommendation because I've had lots of questions about my hair this week.
Speaker 3: I've had a bit of a transformation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, new hair. But first, in case you missed it. Frozen yogurt is the new juice, right, you know, we're bringing you the big news. You're bringing you the big breaking news. Do you want to wait in line for fifty minutes for some pretend ice fifty fifty minutes for some pretender ice cream? Because if you do, fro Yo has got you. Do you remember frozen yogurt used to be cool, like it was on Sex and the City and stuff, and it was like this mythical thing that they had in New York City because it's like probiotics, pre biotics.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But well then it wasn't that. It was just like it's low curlerie. Yeah, And then it went out of fashion and everyone started on their gelado. So then it was all about your messina and your you know, all your young fancy k We're now back to froyo and it's really really back. It's everywhere that Vox has written this big piece about it and about how in New York you can way up to an hour in line at the trendy fro Yo shops, so much so they might have entertainers to like sing to you while you're in the queue.
Speaker 2: So I just discovered this recently I had. It's not my first frozen yoga experience, but I went to is it yo chi yo Chi?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: In Furry Hill.
Speaker 3: Is that the same as froyer?
Speaker 1: No, it's not. Yeah, Froyo is just frozen yogurt, so Yochi is a brand name, but froyo is just like frozen.
Speaker 2: I can't remember what I went to, but I did and I got it was a fun experience, very creative. I liked that I could help myself. I really liked that a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, the way we know that it's definitely the new juice is yo Chi. It's like very easy to get carried away there.
Speaker 3: And then it's too late because you can't put it back.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this, but yo Chi, which has got seventy shops around Australia now, and there's one in Kuldji where I used to live, that always has a queue out the door. And whenever I take my kids to the city because we don't have frozen yogur where I live, they're like, we want to go and they want to cure up. Janine Ellis's family have doing that and they're the boost Juice people. So her sons took over the frozen yogurt business because it's very tiktoki, like it's very it looks great right as you were just saying, the toppings, the mixtures, all that stuff, it looks great. So it's very social media ish caught on with a new generation and now everybody's into fro yo right in a big way. It's also you.
Speaker 2: Can control it, so you know when you're like, you go to the because I love ice cream, It's one of my favorite foods and I'm a chunk ice cream girl. But when you go, you can't control which bit they give you, and you're like, can I have some more chunks? And also could I have a bigger scoop?
Speaker 1: I wanted to know who decides what food is called again, And in the Vox article they had a woman who is a predictor of food trends, which sounds like a good job. Wow, And she said, this is the third time that frozen yogurt's come back into fashion, and this time it's all about the wellness, like skinny jeans. This time round, it's all about the wellness because it's like we're all obsessed with our protein and got health and bone health and all that stuff and apparently all that leads back to yogurt.
Speaker 3: Or yogurt as we say, which I'm like.
Speaker 1: Guys, but is it because we want to put all m and ms on.
Speaker 4: It, like yeah, like the kids do Eminem's, but my yo chi experience has been quite different. There's this scene in the TV show The Good Place where this is going to be a huge spoiler if you haven't watched the show, but it's basically, when you die, you go to a good place or you go to a bad place, and the characters think they're in the good place, but they realize they're actually in the bad place because in the place that they're in there's endless amounts of frozen yogurt. And if it really was a good place to just be ice cream.
Speaker 1: It's so true because it's like I, as you say, me, like ice cream is what you want, And that's what happened in sex.
Speaker 3: This why it's so clever.
Speaker 2: Firstly, it takets like ice cream, and secondly, it actually doesn't matter what's in it because you just put all the other stuff on it, the cookie do dough and the chocolate chip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all of them.
Speaker 1: Would you line up for it? Because why everybody's lining up for things now and there's line culture, frozen yogurt culture, line culture, Like what's that all about?
Speaker 2: So there was a story in New York Magazine this week that I didn't think it was going to be very interesting because it was about lines, and I was like, oh, maybe there's lines in New York.
Speaker 3: I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: And then I thought about it and I realized that when I was just in Japan, people was lining up outside the on Ittsuku Tiger shop, which is a trainer label, and there's a few of them around Japan and in Tokyo, and you it was three hours to get a little engraving.
Speaker 3: Some of the shops had lines just to walk in the door.
Speaker 2: And what it does is there's also a place just around the corner from where friends of mine live that's like one of those cool cinnamon.
Speaker 3: Scroll places in Bondai. I kind of remember what it's called.
Speaker 2: And every time I go and visit them, they're accused like it's a big weekend thing. So everyone one cues down the block and it's a really social thing. And this story in New York Magazine sort of looked at this idea of line culture and how it's not just a line, it's culture. And I sort of rolled my eyes at that for a minute, but actually there's truth in it because the reasons that people are enjoying queuing.
Speaker 3: There's a few.
Speaker 2: The first is TikTok obviously, because if it's everyone's queuing.
Speaker 3: There, therefore it must be good.
Speaker 2: I'll just go and stand in this queue, because if people are willing to wait, it must be the best. Fomo has become the governing emotional force in modern culture when you think about it, like everybody wants to be first. Everybody wants to know. That's why we keep scrolling because fear of missing out on what's going on and the next bit of entertainment. There's also this culture of optimization. Everyone wants to have the best of everything. Like if you're going to have something, you want it to be the best thing and the viral thing.
Speaker 1: I reject it what I said, line, I'm like, I'm not going to stand in it. Really, when I was in when I was on holiday last year, I remember coming back from Europe and being like, it's so weird. I'll be walking through the high street of Manchester and suddenly there's a line and everyone's like, what's the line for? What's the line for? And it's it'll be a pop up makeup or whatever. But I'm like, that is the last thing I would do. I'll go and find the place with no line. When I was in Tazzi recently and I went to the big food place, which was great. There was a what did they make? They made cherry pies? Right, so inside this huge so there's a massive food market as part of Dark Mofo and there's all these food stalls selling everything from oisters to pasta to cherry pies. The place that had the longest line, and there were lots of articles about which place had the longest line because line culture was this cherry pie place and the line was about forty minutes.
Speaker 3: And then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Speaker 1: But for me, I was like, I will never eat those pies because I am not from I'm like, I'm sure those pies are lovely, but I wouldn't line up.
Speaker 4: That's generation I wonder joined a line, and then I went I told my friend, go to the front of the line to see why we're lining up.
Speaker 3: And you just have to join.
Speaker 4: You just have to join I've like for twenty minutes for a La booboo that I don't know where it is. The only thing that I have stopped standing in lines for are for like restauranty things like if like restaurants don't have a booking system and you just have to join a line.
Speaker 1: To wait there. I hate that.
Speaker 4: I really wanted to get this really nice breakfast from this cafe that I'm sure if you live in Sydney you know what cafe I'm talking about. And the wait was forty minutes and I'm standing there and I'm like, it's going to be worth it. I just want to get my breakfast. It's going to be worth it. I know exactly what I'm going to order first, I sit down lunch menu.
Speaker 2: Oh so the thing about lines also that wouldn't necessarily be your issue, hole, but it's actually lines as human connection. One thing I've noticed about when you see people in lines, very few of them have theirs in. I know you spoke about it on Monday Show that the airpot effect, and that's something that people are actually talking in lines. So there are very few places where we gather anymore. And I've noticed this watching the people lining up for the scroll cinnamon scroll place. All the people kind of can't. They come in their active where and they all chat and it's a social thing, and then they go and sit on the nature strip with their cinnamon scrolls and it's it's social because and you could read this as being a little bit you know, the bleak reading on it is that digital capitalism has won and things are so bleak that we're like, we'll surrender our leisure and go, yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly hour of my life.
Speaker 1: And also that people deliberately make things scarce to give you a longer.
Speaker 2: Cue to social lives are so degraded that standing in a line feels like fun.
Speaker 1: See, I think that's my you know, you said it's generational. I think that's the problem. Is I once, when I was twelve, stood in line for eight hours to get tickets to Duran Durand because that was the only way you could buy a thing. And so you go on line and you take your chair and you take your jacket, and like that was fun to a point until you got to the front and they went, sorry, just sold the last ticket eight.
Speaker 3: Hours and you're like, no, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's like, I will never stand in a line again, you're not standing in a line for.
Speaker 3: Impatient.
Speaker 2: Impatient, but I think you just want to hang out.
Speaker 1: The titty chair culture. You can meet people there who like the same breakfast as you. I know we're both missed out.
Speaker 4: I digress out louders in a moment, the psychology behind where you sit and what it says about you.
Speaker 3: Out louders, Hey, it's me here.
Speaker 2: On Thursday Subscriber episode, we spoke about Hassler friends. You know, the people who, well, your heart just thinks a little bit when you see their name come up on your phone. Might be a friend, might be a relation. Have a listen link in the show.
Speaker 1: Notes friends who are trying to in their obsessive phone scrolling try a scrolly phone and a scrolly chair. I nicked this idea from the legendary Aussie crime writer Devlin mctin and who is actually sharing a piece from the New York Times. See how it happens. We pass We passed the information around between us. And this is an article by Mahir Ahmad from the opinion section of New York Times. She's been trying to shape her phone scrolling addiction this northern summer, and she has found a hack. I've removed all my social media apps, she says, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and moved them onto an old iPhone that I had lying around my house. I've dubbed this phone my scroll phone. I've designated a single spot in my home where I could use it, a stripey armchair in my living room, which I have now anointed the Scrolly chair. The scroll phone has no simcard, only Wi Fi, and I'm allowed to use it as much as I want as long as I'm sitting in the scrolly chair. The scrolly chair exists so I don't end up doing exactly what I did, and my actual phone was also my scroll phone, eating dinner with my scroll phone, watching TV with my scroll phone, sitting on the toilet with my scroll phone. The scrolling chair allows me to tether my social media use to a single place.
Speaker 3: I think that's genius.
Speaker 4: I just feel like we're losing the water social media and what we should give me is lost it. I'm just like, if you need what's wrong with scrolling? Like scrolling is fine.
Speaker 1: It'srolling is sucking my life away.
Speaker 4: I just feel like I'm reading hack after hack on how to stop scrolling, but no one's actually stopping scrolling.
Speaker 1: Well, also, I'm reading these hacks while I'm scrolled exactly. It's just like, which is so you saw that when you were scrolling?
Speaker 3: I did, and then I went.
Speaker 1: And scrolled somewhere else to find.
Speaker 2: But to your point, more and more people are looking, we're feeling addicted, we're not working the way that it feels, and so we're wanting more control over it. I think that an addiction is something that you feel you can't control. It's not that scrolling isn't pleasurable sometimes, but I think we all know that feeling of when it goes from being pleasurable to being a bit compulsive. Like I can literally feel it in myself where I'm like, oh, I just have a little scroll, and then I'm like scroll, scroll, scroll.
Speaker 1: Scroll, and then it's like two am exactly. And I when I was talking on the show last week about that book that i'd read about Burnout by Mantha Rimbagh, and she said to me, when I was talking to her about it, she said, willpower is bullshit. The only thing that works is changing your environment. So in this instance, that's exactly what the scrolly chairs doing right every day, I might say I'm not going to scroll my phone for fifteen minutes before I fall asleep, and then end up scrolling it for forty five minutes. And every day I say that, and then every day I put it down, going Holly, you're such a bad person. Why could you not Why couldn't you resist the phone? Why couldn't you not scroll? And I beat myself up. The point of this is you're taking control of your addiction, and you go in scrolling's fun. You see loads of fun things on TikTok. Like. It's not like it's bad and you shouldn't do it.
Speaker 3: It's just you do it.
Speaker 1: In a part of the day that you're in control of and in a place you're in control of.
Speaker 3: I think it's genius.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work if you're like, if you need social media for work and stuff, obviously it doesn't work. But it would be a great thing to do if you were on holiday, or do on the weekends, or you know, like a time when you're like, I don't want to lose my leisure time to the phone. It's very clever.
Speaker 2: That's great because now you'll need two phones.
Speaker 1: But we do all have the old phone line around, right, that's the one to give you a kid, so we can take it off them and then we've solved two problems.
Speaker 4: Talk show host Graham Norton was interviewed by a New Zealand podcast call Between Two Beers, and on the podcast he was talking about the most New Zealand podcast. It's such a funny podcast I highly recommend. But on the podcast he was talking about the dynamics of how he chooses the celebrities he interviews and where he places them on the seat because talk shows he never does one on one interviews. He's always interviewing three to six celebrities at the same time.
Speaker 2: He's become the iconic talk show host. Yeah that there aren't any like him, Yeah anywhere else.
Speaker 1: He's so likable.
Speaker 2: I've not once in my life has I have I watched it wouldn't even know how, but it's become like clips from the Grahame Not Show of you into the zeitgeys through social So basically the show is laid out with him on his own chair on the left, and there's this big, long red couch on his right and all the celebrities are popped onto it.
Speaker 4: And this is what he says about how he places the celebrities.
Speaker 6: The person who sits the far end, you are right there. That person. We have to be confident about that person because they are further away, it's going to be harder to involve them. So they have to be a bit of more of a self starter down the end, which is why often it's a British comic or American comic that's down the end, because I can just look at them and they'll hit in. That's what you need from that person.
Speaker 4: So after I listened to this clip, I went back to his YouTube channel and like filtered by the most popular videos and rewatching those videos through this lens is so interesting because one of his most popular videos is a story that the comedian Greg Davies tells the whole couch and he sat right at the end, And the reason that story is so viral is because he makes Ryan Gosling like snort laugh, who's sitting right so entertaining their people. So he's acting as kind of like a secondary host to help Graham out to make sure that everyone on the couch is having a good time. And then we have like the Taylor Swift, the Kim Kardashian who's always sitting.
Speaker 1: Right near Graham. See that's the only bit of this explanation from Norton that I don't believe, because they talked about this on the Rest of Entertainment once in Richard Osmond asked the producer and he said that half his life, half his guest book is life, are arguing with agents about seat one. Right, he said, everybody wants seat one, and right next to him is Kanada Seat one. Yeah, seat one is the one next to Graham. And he says after that, he said exactly what Graham said. It's about chemistry and about someone the first time they had been able to hold the run. It's so hard.
Speaker 2: When I used to do the project, they always it's called the fourth chair, and so they'll be the comedian. If you're looking at the desk on the far left, will be the comedian. Then it would be like Walid or Charlie, and then carry or Sarah. Then it was Sarah and then it's fourth chair. So the fourth chair is the one that rotates right and the other three are pretty permanent.
Speaker 3: So the fourth chair, it's always been.
Speaker 2: A really weird role on the project, and I always found it so stressful because you're on the outer, so it's really hard to chip in, and you really rely on the center of gravity being the two hosts in the middle who have to do all the heavy lifting because they also have the comedian on the outside, and then it's the spare, so it's on you to sort of interject yeah, and you don't really have anything to do, but then you don't want to tread on anyone's toe. So where you sit makes a huge difference in how you can contribute.
Speaker 4: It reminded me of when I did a psychology class when I was in UNI, because I.
Speaker 3: Went to university. Yeah, all right, stop flexing.
Speaker 4: And it was this big lecture hall and they were talking about the psychology of where you sit. And the professor was talking to us and she says, can you make assumptions of everyone in this room based on where they're sitting? And what she said was so true because we all just started looking around the room. I was the kind of student who never did my work, so I never wanted to be asking any questions, so I'd always sit right on the end, like as if I'm about to leave. There'd always be a group of boys who were clearly watching a movie right at the back front row seats mature age students, Yes.
Speaker 1: Don't want to and then she made us all switch seats. That's so clever, I reckon. There's a lot of real life this because if you think about the Graham Norton example, seat one next to the host is this is a dinner party, that's the power seat next to your friend next to the host, right, Yeah, so you always put them there the rest of the table. Chemistry is true. So whether or not you sit couples together, whether you put people together who know each other or don't. And then the person you put on the end in the difficult seat has to be your friend who you know can handle it. Right, So like the same thing as you've got, You've probably got a friend who you know you can put anywhere and we'll be fine. And that's the same as this.
Speaker 2: Right, when you're at a group dinner or something like, often it will be stressful, like in a restaurant if you get there a.
Speaker 3: Bit laid, because that's what it's cheated.
Speaker 2: Right, And so people mistakenly think that the head of the table is the power position, it's actually not.
Speaker 3: It's the middle of the table.
Speaker 2: It's the power position because then you've got access to all the you know, three people probably in front of you, the two people on your side, so you've got really good conversational access to at least five people. If you're on the end, you've only really got access to two. And if one of them is talking to someone else, you've only got access to one, and they could both be talking to someone else.
Speaker 1: Then you just have to are you scroll your phone the type of person who if you get someone you don't like where your seat, did you move the names around?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 4: My mom does this clever trick though, whenever she doesn't like where she's seated. After like about ten minutes, she's like, we're going to play a game and we're all going to move seats, and then that's the game. Then she just gets the seat that she wants.
Speaker 1: Look, I've just been buying my time before I can bring up the obvious, which is the seating plan on out loud, now, everybody wants the center seat.
Speaker 3: I don't, I do, I don't either, yess you do? No, I just get body is not here.
Speaker 2: You're meant to be in the center set. Yes, I was only meant to be in the center seat. For subscriber episodes. You're meant to be in this seat.
Speaker 1: I think our producers just want to create conflict.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 1: They want to create driver, they want to keep some our toes. But the reason that's the best seat is because you get the best camera angle. You get the front on camera angle, so you don't have to worry about this, which everybody does, and you also don't. You can talk to both people like that.
Speaker 4: It hurts your leg, which is why I wonder how Jesse and Clair did it for so long, because the turning, it's yes, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: So you're telling me that the power.
Speaker 1: I think you should feel really fine in your seat.
Speaker 2: So something else that's quite controversial that we're about to undertake again here at Momamea is moving desks.
Speaker 3: Desk moves. You know, I love desk moves so in all.
Speaker 2: Our offices because I like change and I like variety, and people get really really funny about it, and I really love it, and so I'm like, guys, I think everybody should move desks souse. I'm always looking for optimum combinations, optimum configurations, And we've gone through lots of different phases of whether we sit via sort of skills sets or like all the written team sits together, or on the pod team sits together, and then the video people sit together. And now we're looking at moving desks. According to shows, Yeah, so everybody, no matter what they do on the show, social producer, producers, hosts, all sit in my pot. That was Holly's idea.
Speaker 3: Actually, and I can get.
Speaker 4: Well, can I say something yes because my current seat, everyone's jealous of it because I sit right near a window. I'm at the end of a big desk, so no one really kind of walks past. I feel like I'm in my own little corner office.
Speaker 1: Bad luck, and so you loseing't it? When I used to manage people, we want to move desks is the most is the sentence that will make you least popular as a manager because everybody hates change. Remember when we never really did it at Mom and Me And maybe we did it a little bit, but remember when hot desking was the thing, and it was like, you don't get a desk, you don't get a place that's yours, like not necessarily here, but lots of businesses.
Speaker 3: No, we did try.
Speaker 1: There was an absolute oh yeah yeah, and everybody and everybody just went back to their same seat every day. Because there's something very We're all such territorial little creatures, aren't we, that we're like, this is my spot.
Speaker 2: Spot. As an employer, in work from home times, everybody wants the flexibility to work from home on certain days. And also nobody wants a hot desk, I know.
Speaker 1: So what they got.
Speaker 2: Their employers to do is to pay for the desk full time, pay rent for their desk, but they will only use it on the days that they want to use it. So it's incredibly challenging because everybody having their own desks when not everybody's in the office every day is incredibly inefficient and really really expensive.
Speaker 4: It is challenging, and sometimes when I'm here on a Friday where most people work from home, it is lonely near my window.
Speaker 1: But I also think it's about like habit.
Speaker 4: And routine, like it's something that you just get so used to because it's your one given for the day. And then coming into a space where you're like, I don't know where I'm going to sit is already like having I don't know, I already feel anxious about even getting there.
Speaker 1: That's when I gave up having a desk though. I mean, I do have a desk key now, but I didn't have a desk for ages because because I'm not in every day, and I do get that it seems like silly to have this is Holly's space. But now that I've had my own space, Royal, I have to say that when we move, I'm going to have to move my tea, my hot sauce, a lot of my lipsticks, my books. I could colonize the.
Speaker 3: Space pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: I fluctuate between I'm not good at working at desks. I need to work at different places.
Speaker 1: All the time, some times on the couch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the things I love about this office is that there's so many different places to work. So when we were looking to move here, we moved here.
Speaker 3: About a year ago.
Speaker 2: I there have been times at Mumamea where I have had an office and times when I've been on the floor, and times when I've fluctuated between two. And when we moved here, I had my I've got my office, but I've just in the last couple of weeks I've moved back onto the floor and I now sit with the executive team. Because two reasons when you're in an office. The good thing about it is that you can close the door. But the other thing that happens when you've got an office you get trapped.
Speaker 3: People decide they.
Speaker 2: Want to come and knock on the door, and you can't get away. And if they're like, have you just got a second? And because you're in a closed room, they can just walk in. So then I bought a little thing saying do not enter podcast recording in progress, and i'd stick that on my door.
Speaker 3: Everyone just ignored it.
Speaker 2: Well I know, and then they come anyway, and then they never ever leave, and so when you're on the floor, that happens less.
Speaker 3: And also you can get up a walk away. You can. The job I had for this, I did have an office. It was great.
Speaker 1: I liked having an office. But then someone new came in, big big boss came and kicked me out of my office put me are back on the floor.
Speaker 3: I was so upset about it. I love having an office. I loved it. But yeah, no, you're not. You're not an office person out.
Speaker 2: Loud as after the break my hair. All the questions you didn't ask.
Speaker 5: We have recos too will be answered, and these bitches the things I want to tell you about as well out loud as it's the time of the week where we tell you the things that we're going to recommend to you.
Speaker 2: I know you've been asking about my hair. I have actually been asking about your hair.
Speaker 3: But I think I'm the only one.
Speaker 1: There's anyone but asking about me as hair in your world.
Speaker 4: I didn't ask about your hair. I just said your hair looks nice because.
Speaker 1: You've been growing it.
Speaker 3: That is a question.
Speaker 2: Wearing as curly, it looks great. I'll take that as an invitation to tell you about my O. No, I actually hadn't even registered that there was a thing. But I've started doing a few Insta babbles again, where I just put my makeup on and have a chat in the morning, and everyone's like, have.
Speaker 3: You had hair extensions your hair?
Speaker 2: Your hair?
Speaker 3: When did it get so long?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, I didn't make cutting it. Yeah, then I'm feeling competitive growing it longer.
Speaker 3: Well, it's already grown longer. I mean, this is the longest it's been in quite a long time.
Speaker 2: But the strange thing is I have I'm in love with my I've got to diceon air straight, very spendy. That's not what I'm recommending ridiculously expensive, but I use it every single day.
Speaker 3: I've traveled with it.
Speaker 2: It's probably one of the best investments I've ever made.
Speaker 3: Again, not really.
Speaker 2: It blow dries your hair and straightens it. It gives me a good hair day every day because my hair I'm never I'm never, not very good at hair anyway. Recently I decided to on weekends, and when I don't want to blow dry my.
Speaker 1: Hair, it dries curly like that's just.
Speaker 3: What it looks like.
Speaker 2: And the problem with when you've got curly not like proper curly hair. Someone got upset when I described it as curly, and the Internet said that please describe it as wavy. You don't know my story. You don't know true curls. I'm like, okay, okay, respect it's on.
Speaker 1: The curlier side of waby, I would say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the problem with my hair or hair like this, it's quite fine. It doesn't hold curls very well. Whenever it looks good curly is usually by accident, and usually because it's just air dried, usually when I've slept on it.
Speaker 3: But it's cold. I can't do that.
Speaker 1: It's very hard to get curly hair deliberately like this question. Now it has so long, you're still washing it every night, every night. Every morning I wash it before work, jeez, every morning.
Speaker 3: I wash it. Every morning.
Speaker 2: I exercise and I wash my hair then I dry my hair part. I just feel it's like my rece it's my.
Speaker 3: Meditation, diptation.
Speaker 2: So I was talking to my hairdresser, l hairdresser of the pod except for m who's the dirty stop out.
Speaker 1: She wants to get her hands on your hair. Lady, get there anyway, sorry.
Speaker 2: And she said, what about a diffuser? And I said, is it nineteen ninety one?
Speaker 3: Do you remember diffuse it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So apparently diffuses are how you I just bought one. I've got a just a regular hair dryer, and I just bought a diffuser.
Speaker 3: That attaches to it.
Speaker 1: Get them quite cheap on Amazon.
Speaker 2: A lot of hair dryers come with diffuses, which I've always just chucked out because I'm like, what is that?
Speaker 3: Who's going to do that?
Speaker 2: I've been using a diffuser because I can't leave the house with wet hair, except for that day when I came on with my hair literally on fire, not literally been hosed figuratively on fire. I had to hose it down, it's too cold, and also it looks a little bit unprofresh. And so now I use my diffuser.
Speaker 1: And you scrunch hair right, Yeah, I use.
Speaker 2: Colour Ow does a something called dream coat that I spray in my hair before I blow dry it. They've got regular dream coat, but they've also got a dream coat curly. I've now unlocked a whole lot of new.
Speaker 3: Hair products for curly hair. Out louders.
Speaker 2: If you've got a hair routine for curly hair, please tell me, because I am at the beginning of my hair chow so diffuse it. It probably costs me, I don't know, ten bucks on Amazon or nice thing.
Speaker 1: The challenge with curly hair wavy hair is that you want it to be wavy but not frizzy and been fire yeah, entire life, like you know. Anyway, I'll get back to you. I think that's a bit sad about it is. I keep saying to you all week, you look so young. But that's so interesting because like we the short haircut that is really cool, which we've obviously been We've obviously all been programmed, even without knowing it, to think that that's an older look than long hair.
Speaker 3: It's depressing.
Speaker 1: It means that all that standard beauty programming is definitely in there because the long hair.
Speaker 3: You go, oh yeah, you look you're little, so youthful. It's it's silly.
Speaker 1: Anyway, you look great, thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm recommending a TV show. It's called Ride or Die on Prime Video.
Speaker 3: I've heard about that.
Speaker 4: It's so funny. It stars two It's about two best friends, starring Hannah Waddingham and Octavia Spencer. Hannah plays due to Octavia Space plays Debbie and Debbie is the wife of an MP in London and England set in England. Set in London. Judit is a secret international assassin.
Speaker 3: She's from Ted Lesso, Right, yeah, Hannah, yep, she is.
Speaker 4: You find out quite early on that in the first episode that jud that the company that she works for, they are kind of pushing her towards retirement because she's a whoaka woman of a certain age. Oh and she's like, nap, absolutely not. They give her one last assignment and it kind of gets infiltrated with both her and Debbie's friendship and their life and they kind of go on the run from this hidden mass figure.
Speaker 2: Is it a bit?
Speaker 3: Filmer lays very much so that.
Speaker 4: Their chemistry, Oh my god, is amazing, so funny, very fast paced, very funny, very actiony. You move through the episodes really fast. All eight episodes have drops. You can binge watch them. That's sure good episodes. It's around like the Yeah thirty minute mark, I would say, really funny that. It's also had amazing reviews. We interviewed both of them from Mama Mia and even in the interviews you can tell that they just really like each other, which I love with co stars because I'm like, it just shows on the screen. The chemistry is amazing.
Speaker 2: So Mark Loud has been recommending this past Hannah Waddington in the street a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: She must have been filming something in Australia, but she looked like a goddess because she's like very tall.
Speaker 2: She looked she looked I definitely knew it was her, but she was very low key.
Speaker 3: She was just sort of going about her business.
Speaker 1: She would have been filming that right Gosling movie for guy.
Speaker 3: He was here for ages.
Speaker 2: Enough in the same suburb. I walked past his wife Mendez.
Speaker 1: There you go. They were obviously all staying there. Wow, look I've got a Beauty Wrecker and MEA's cut my grass because I thought she's doing something else. So we're just this is just Beauty Today and TV TV and beauty.
Speaker 3: I'm doing lips.
Speaker 1: I'm doing lips because you know, I love a red lip. And it's winter and the mate stuff is not working anymore. You need some juice, so I'm recommending my new favorite lip things from cheat to not cheap. Okay, so this isn't new, but I love it. This is Model Cooshier tint lip bomb. It's a dupe of that famous nas one, but it's only fifteen dollars Happy days. And this is girl Boss, which is very appropriate. It's in girl Boss shirt. It's shade. It's called girl Boss. It's red, but because it's a tint, it's not super red like it's just a bit red. Love it.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: It's juicy but not too full on, so I love that. But the other thing I've been doing instead this model this Mechamax. You're just approving that we don't actually drink from these car but this is a Mechamax pencil, so it's lipliner. Now, well, i'd lose it as a lipstick, so I color the whole thing in and then put them over the and then I put my barm this one which is Doctor, which is also from Makkabe. It's about fifteen bucks. That's got a tint in it too. So those two together all the same color.
Speaker 3: Look, you know, I like my red.
Speaker 1: And then my bougie is the French you know, Violet, So she makes this she it is a she. She was, she was on a beauty a while ago. She's like the coolest French. She's like, if you had to just look up in the dictionary cool French woman, Yeah, it would be the woman who makes this brand.
Speaker 2: Right. It's funny you've got that. I have one of those.
Speaker 1: It's like a sustained gloss.
Speaker 2: So my ride or dye lip stick colored thing is also that brand.
Speaker 1: But it's the Blurah I've got that.
Speaker 3: I haven't tried that.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing. I love that, and I've got a few of those.
Speaker 2: Stands work because it's like I don't like Matt, but Blur is like Matt, but Blur It's yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like a new type off.
Speaker 1: So with those Korean ones that we all like that are like spongy. But I'm just finding with winter, I just want more juice, and so I've got those violet French the matt ones. But this is a gloss that's also a stain, and it's just a very very pleasing situation because you don't feel dry. It gives you bitstain. But it is expensive. It's fifty forty eight dollars on. Right now, your lips look good.
Speaker 4: I've got Merit the Merit lipsticks. I use them as a lip liner, and then I use a clear gloss on top, yeah, and smudge it in.
Speaker 1: So it kind of works as a blur as well.
Speaker 3: Manual blow back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lip liner.
Speaker 3: Is to do the big.
Speaker 1: Darkick. That's not happening in my watch anyway. Actually, the other thing I wanted to eco is a Mom and mea product. It's moved the Weights program, which you.
Speaker 3: Seem to be the face of Hallyween.
Speaker 1: Right I am. But here's the thing, right is that? So I've promised my self and I'm committing. I'm saying out loud because I want to be held accountable, right, I know, like every woman over forty knows waights Waits, Waits, lengths Waits. I'm so bored of it. And people tell you all the time, like how heavy are you lifting? You know, it's become like this boring conversation between women. But I do need to commit to it because we know how good it is for your bone density all that stuff. And there is a program on Move, which is one AMA's fitness app that is new and it is specifically for dommies like me who don't really know how to lift weights or how or where to start or what to do.
Speaker 2: It's really intimidating when you first start, it is, and we when we first launched Move, the idea for Move a few years ago was that you didn't need any equipment, and which there are still a ton of workouts that you don't need any equipment for. But as you say, oh, weights are so important and making sure you have resistance doing some kind of resistance training, and so that's why we introduce the weights program.
Speaker 1: She's the trainer who does it is so great. She's called Chantelle Ekerman's and she specializes in over forties exercise and so she's not I know this sounds bad, but I'm very intimidated by trainers who are like tiny little pilates, you know, like twenty year olds.
Speaker 3: They don't get my life.
Speaker 2: That's another reason we started out exactly because it was like.
Speaker 3: Not that nah.
Speaker 1: And so she's done this weights program that I'm doing. I've done some of it, which I've filmed with her. But now I've committed and I'm going to be held accountable three times a week twenty minute sessions. They're so easy, Like she just goes through the three sets and she does it like three times or whatever, and it's like it's so good easy you just proply phone up. Just I've got my little dumbbell that I stole from my daughter. Nice.
Speaker 2: We'll put a link in the show notes if you want to do those workouts. If you're Amomer of Me a subscriber, you already have free access to the move app. And if you're not seven bucks a month or something close to that, pretty good. The other thing that we wanted to tell you about the other bit of keeping is that Well has relaunched. We have got that's our health podcast.
Speaker 3: We have got.
Speaker 2: Doctor Ginny Mansberg who's also a host on Unleashed, along with Kath Mahoney who's also a host Unleashed, and they did some stuff for us for the Very Pery Summit and God, they're funny together.
Speaker 3: Their chemistry is off the charts.
Speaker 2: And so when we were looking at putting together the new season, they were just such a natural fit. If you imagine sitting down with the top women's health doctor, which Ginny is, and your funniest friend openly discussing bladderliks and Salmon's burn facials and why you're so exhausted. It is like medical expertise, but with humor and heart, and you will laugh hard enough to.
Speaker 3: Accidentally test your health expence.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 4: Asks all the questions you're embarrassed to ask your own doctor.
Speaker 1: And I love that in the show notes to all these things for sure, out louders, thank you for being here with us all week. We bloody love you, love y see you on Monday. Say ye hi, Mamma.
Speaker 4: Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we recorded this podcast.